…….. Ospina in goal against Bayern anyone?

Thank you Arsene and Arsenal for sending us off into another tiresome international break with a warm feeling of positivity and optimism following the magnificent performance against United.

Contrast those emotions against the feelings of despair and déjà vu following the home defeat by Olympiacos and you will see the two extremes of supporters’ reactions.

It has been suggested (by LB and others on this blog) that Arsene’s decision to change 6 players for the game against Zagreb and  5 against Olympiacos was evidence that Monsieur Wenger is targeting winning the EPL over the CL.

The most controversial decision on these occasions was to opt for Ospina in goal. Why when we have finally secured the services of a top class keeper would we choose not to play him in such important games?

It has been suggested that there may be a contractual agreement to play Ospina in cup games – if this is the case we cannot argue except to question the sense behind such an arrangement. It may be that Arsene is trying to keep Ospina match fit and motivated as we never know when we might need him to step in for Cech.

Either way, I was shocked that Cech was left on the bench. The defensive unit looks far more solid and assured when he is in goal and apart from the West Ham game, he has been excellent. I think it is fair to say that Ospina has not impressed in his CL appearances.

Some say that supporters should not concern themselves with such matters – leave it to the manager and trust his decisions.

This is a personal decision and is down to every individual to support the club in their own way. Some supporters feel more engaged with the club by wanting to understand what goes on and express their feelings and aspirations – an equally valid form of support.

So back to the euphoria we are currently feeling after spanking the mancs 🙂

Most supporters believe that with the prospect of Thursday night football looming, we need to take at least 3 points from the 2 games against Bayern to progress through to the knock out stage of the CL. But how would you feel if the team for the Bayern game is announced and Ospina is in goal?

What would this tell us?

I’d really like to know how supporters feel on this matter … so place your vote and send out a message.

Feel free to join us in ‘Comments’ to explain your reasoning …. just for the record, I think Arsene will play Ospina.

Rasp

138 Responses to …….. Ospina in goal against Bayern anyone?

1. RC78 says:

This is not even a question…Ospina should play only in domestic cups and Cech should play both CL and EPL

2. Talk of deja vu, you even get two chances to vote. 😀

They are different questions Norfolk 🙂

4. Bring back Fabianski….

5. Rasp, I spotted that just after I hit the “post comment” button. 😀

6. Seriously, I reckon Arsene will play Cech.

7. Why? Soixante Neuf, do we need someone to flap the flies away in the canteen?

8. Norfolk…. I always liked Flappy… more so than Chezzers.

Not as simple as it seems.

Ospina is a fine GK who made a stupid mistake. All GK’s make them but his was in a high profile important game.

I was pleasantly surprised when Ospina stayed and TPIG went out on loan believing that Ospina is the more rounded GK, though TPIG has the greater potential. As such it is churlish to complain when Ospina has a first team opportunity.

But I would definitely pick Cech 😀

10. Wenger clearly has some rotation headaches this season. With our poor start to the CL what does he do now? Pull out all the stops to try and get maximum points against Bayern and go through, with all the inherent risks of injury to important players. Or does he give up now, field a weakened side and hope we don’t get third place and Thursday night football?
    Some I know think that perhaps the Europa league would be a good way of winning a European title….. me, I say fuck that, it’s the Europe equivelant to the COC. Let’s forget about the CL this season, we don’;t really need the money benefit from the knock out stage….. and concentrate on the PL, we have a good chance this season and if we were to win it, guarenteed spot in next seasons CL to then make a serious effort to win the fucker.

Great talking point Rasp, as it begs questions and answers. Thank you

I will be apoplectic with rage if Cech does not start. As you say, one could argue that Arsene fielded a weakened side in previous CL games, however, you could equally argue he underestimated the opposition or equally, he overestimates the quality of his squad.

I don’t believe for one second we can win The CL at the moment, but progressing and getting as close to the big boys as possible is important for The Club.

I cannot believe that losing games helps the morale of the squad any more than we don’t have the energy to compete in The CL for a few more games. By all means rest (don’t turn up at all) if we end up in the Europa, but let’s try and take a few big scalps on the way.

This comment was posted on the poll instead of in the discussion ……

……… Bvumai – 20 minutes ago

You know we have got two top quality keepers who have represented their counries at national level.
    And that with some other factors makes me feel the manager’s decision should be respected.
    Its not that Ospina’s previous performances were due to a substandard goalkeeping.
    I feel he is a little bit under pressure to do well and to be at the same level with Cech.
    The previous mistakes he did although costly i think that have made him even stronger and the desire i presume is overflowing.
    It could be a mistake to think that he may be not up to standard but if i where Wenger i would thrust him straight again and i believe some miracles could happen.
    If we are to lose against Bayern then my thinking tells me its a blessing and we will to politely kiss goodbye to champions league and fight to win our domestic and then next season we are back to champions league again.
    That itself to is quite an archievement

This is interesting from AW ….

“I recently read a scientific study that covered all types of sport and what came out was that home teams are still favourites to win games, and not because of the motivational factor of the players but purely because of the support of the crowd,” he said.

“In a variety of sports, they came to the scientific conclusion that the biggest advantage of the team that plays at home is the support of the crowd. That’s not my impression; it’s the result of a scientific study.

“They eliminated all the other factors that could come in. It was a simple conclusion – it’s the home support that gives the advantage of the team. This home support can also turn against the home team if you don’t start well and if you are 1-0 down, but it also shows that influence is very strong.”

Hi Bvumai

Good point, although IF Arsene sees Cech as clear No1, then surely we should have fielded our strongest side. We had two CL openers where 6 points would have had us sitting pretty.

Who knows, follow that with a home win over Bayern, and we could have been looking at resting players in the final two games of the group stages even with an away loss in Munich

By the way, I voted that I believe Arsene will start Cech, and I think we will win

Hi Micky,

I’m desperately trying to find a ticket for the game because I too think we will win.

I was at the 2:1 against Barca and that was by far my greatest night at The Emirates, my little Arsh coming up with the goods 🙂 – I anticipate a similar spectacle next week

Rasp
    I was going, until yesterday 😦
    Plans have changed. Cheesed off, as was really looking forward to it. Depending, I may make a last gasp Ticket Exchange effort. Fingers crossed.

Good luck with that Micky … have you requested the assistance of the ‘Ticket Fairy’ or raven haired one as once known?

We could always sneak in through the underground car park????

20. There have been mutterings in the Spanish press that Ospina is wanted by a fairly major La Liga side. Maybe a loan deal in January. Of course it could be his agent beating the drum to stir up a bit of commission.

Rasp
    Its less the ticket side, more work that has lofted a big spanner itno the works

Rasper,

A nice postal question – and I voted Big Toe for both. Umm, to lazy to re-do that – I meant Cech, of course, who probably does have a big toe to stick up Ospina’s rectum. 😀

I have heard on the grapevine – that Ospina will almost certainly be off in January, with Martinez being recalled.

It’s the old chicken and egg problem, which one do you fry first — no it is not that – where is my head today – it is because the utopian idyll of having two top class players vying for each position does not work.

I could go on – but I’m going to stay still.

Norfolk,

Test Cricket:

The game is being played in Abu Dhabi is because it is deemed too dangerous to play their home games in Pakistan.

Hi Redders, if Ospina is really on his bike in January we definitely should not play him against Bayern – what would be the point.

I wrote the post because I suspect that AW will pick Ospina – the results of the poll suggest I am very much in the minority.

If he doesn’t it will be yet another occasion when I will be happy to be wrong 🙂

Frankly, Rasper, if I had not been swinging on the vine and hearing the rumours, I, too, would have said Ospina would get the nod from Arsene to play.

We will soon find out.

I have never really been convinced by Ospi so my view does not fall into the knee jerk category, and I will be unhappy if AW does not heed what the grapevine says – them grapes are always right!! 🙂

26. Redders, I know the reason, but surely they could find somewhere with a better atmosphere than the sterile, soulless UAE to play in.

It’s the money, mon ami, Norfolk — money real does talk.

28. Having trouble posting comments. “WordPress error” appears on screen.

29. Well that one worked.

Thanks, Rasp.

I tend to agree with Bvumai (surprise, surprise 🙂 ) in that, apart from the calamitous patting the ball down behind his own goal line, the goals conceded against Zagreb and Olympiacos weren’t down to Ospina.

I thought he made a good blocking save for the first against Zagreb, but was really unfortunate to see it rebound off the poorly positioned Ox.
    I don’t think he could have come for the near post header either for their second goal (Both Gibbs and Kos at fault). Maybe GIE can fill us in on GKs and near post corners?

The first Olympiacos goal would have beaten any GK in the world with such a huge deflection and the third was such appalling defending, again any keeper in the world would have been on a hiding to nothing.

Ospina played 18 League games last season conceding just 11 goals and contributed to us being, not only the best points scorer in the League for the calendar year 2015 so far, but also having the best defence, six goals fewer (or is it ‘less’, RA 🙂 ) than the next best defence.

Yes, I know we win nothing for doing well in 2015, League-wise, but Ospina deserves some credit for his performances last season.

As an irrelevant but nonetheless interesting side note, there was also another table printed alongside the one above for the period covering the last 38 League games and, in that, we came second to Man City on Goal Difference.

p.s. All of those 18 League games were in 2015 as he made his League debut on 11th Jan versus Stoke.

p.p.s. I voted for ‘It’s up to the manager’ in both polls (even though that answer doesn’t make much sense for the second question 🙂 ).
    This isn’t because Wenger is the manager; I’d think the same whoever our manager was.
    It’s just that whatever I think has no relevance to what actually happens at The Arsenal. Simple for me being a simple chap. 🙂

“It’s just that whatever I think has no relevance”

Unlike me 🙂

Chas
    Were you Head Boy at school? 🙂

Eff off Mucky 🙂

36. Vintage Gooner says:

I don’t see how you can answer particularly the second question without first defining your order of targets in silverware (and interestingly second guessing Arsenes priorities for the first question).

For me the targets are EPL, FA Cup (not least for the historical only team to win three in a row kudos), ECL (unlikely to win even if we qualify), Europa cup (although I would quite happily pass on qualifying for this at all) and last and least COC which should be only for major match experience for our starlets like Reine Adelaide supported by a very experienced mentoring spine eg Arteta.

On the actual question I voted Cech but really don’t mind either way. Of much greater concern to me is Alexis Sanchez who had trips home and back of 15 hours each way and left nursing a groin. We may have to rest him for Watford and even possibly the Bayern game just to give him proper recovery time. Very limited rotation should be on the cards for both games but it is vital we maintain the EPL momentum established in the Leicester and Man U wins.

I hope this does not sound patronising, Chas, as I think you can be a little sensitive, and I certainly do not mean to be, but it is terrific to see you so animated and concise – and despite my doubts about Ospi, you have made me stop and think that maybe I am wrong – not for the first time! 😀

I can only tell you that I was taught that when in doubt, the ‘rule’ [I know, we have been this way before 🙂 ] for the use of ‘less’ or ‘fewer’ is that the latter is used with countable nouns, and less is used with uncountable amounts like volumes. There are, of course always exceptions.

For example, ‘the tree had fewer apples this year than last’, whereas, ‘there were less than half the fans at the game than there were last year.

So, you were right! [Altho that rule is ignored by an awful lot of people]

Disclaimer: I am not always right! 🙂

Mucky
    You can cut out the Giroud is shite nonsense as well. We are bound to need him at varying points during the season and I’m going to have to go and support the French ponce when he does play. I could do without my head being full of your negative opinions at that juncture. Ta, in advance. 🙂

Piss off with that patronising tone, as well, RA. 🙂

OK, Chaz, while we are at it — I am the only one, so far, who has got away with calling Micky ‘Mucky’ on the pretext of a typing error so you are cramping my style – so clear off and find your own patsy!! 😀

Thanks chas, I put those options in just for you – even though the second should have read “I’ll leave it up to the manager” 😀

By now we all know each other’s preferred brand of support and it’s that mix that makes the site balanced, as long as tolerance prevails.

I probably should have been a risk analyst because I go over stuff in my mind and try to work out every tiny detail that could contribute to a desired outcome. Obviously in terms of Arsenal, this is a waste of time as my opinion won’t change anything – but hey you can’t change your nature 🙂

Spank the Manc 🙂 you are the King of catchy phrases rasp

I pressed the wrong voting button – Arsene will play Cech. No he won’t. He is a stubborn old git and will start with Ospina. And to prove us wrong Ospina will be magnificent next Tuesaday, or so I hope

Incidentally, Norflock, your reply to my reply to your original question is what is commonly termed ‘moving the goal posts’.

— You asked: ‘What’s the point of playing in countries with no cricketing history?”

— I replied: “too dangerous …. blah de blah”

— You countered with: “I know the reason”

So, why did you ask the sodding question? Sheesh! 🙂

Actually, Raspberry,

I cannot agree with your proviso that “it’s that mix that makes the site balanced, as long as tolerance prevails”, because I have an instinctive lack of tolerance for the concept of tolerance, and I would go so far as to say it is intolerable to permit tolerance to be the key requirement of this blog. It is obvious to me that we require a lot more narrow-minded prejudice – so stick that where Cockie stuffed the marrow. 😀

It is Friday isn’t it?

I can tolerate that 🙂

46. Bloody hell Redders, did you get out of bed on the wrong side this morning?

Picking arguments with all and sundry, as well as Mucky, Chas and that nice inoffensive chap Rasp who never disagrees with anyone.

Oh, and I only started talking about the cricket because there wasn’t much else happening on the blog and I thought it might stimulate a bit of chat. Instead I get picked on by a ratty Radish.
    I may go off in a huff.

Chas
    I promised last season not to be nasty about Ollie and I did very, very well, but I am having a breakdown. I will try harder 🙂

Can’t disagree with that Norfolk 🙂

micky, Ollie is a united fan ….

I loved that Oliver Hardy clip — or I would have if I wasn’t fixated on intolerance!!

Chas
    Can I report Erik, because he wasn’t very nice either.

Incidentally, Raps, @ 4:54

I can not agree with your belief that you can not disagree with Norfluk. It’s easy – try it! 🙂

Pointless reporting The Viking to the beak, as being ‘not very nice’ is his gentler side.

54. What’s all this ‘tolerance’ and ‘pleasantry’….. get your tongues out of each others arses, it’s not healthy.

Erik is so bunged up with the 60’s that he’s pretty much immune to all comments on any of his states

Mucky
    BR saying Giroud was shite in one game is a whole different kettle of smoked fish to somebody else saying that Les Bleus are in profond merde if he’s anywhere near their starting XI. 🙂

NB
    I bet you like a bit of rimming.

58. Redders, it’s so easy that I often disagree with myself. At least then I win the argument. Or at least one of me does…..we think. Getting a bit confused now, time to open a bottle of red.

59. If I knew what it was Chas, I could tell you one way or the other.

Yeah, but…….
    You are making it hard for me to remain Mr Nice Guy 🙂
    Ok, here we go. I’m sure the French are very pleased to have him as an excellent squad player, and his stats are very good.

It seems to have slipped every ones mind who was in goal for the opening game of the season, the result and who made the mistakes.

I have run out of rant, hmmmm what can I say next?

I do still believe that the team that Wenger chose against Zargreb is evidence that he decided to target the EPL way back then; there has never been a time when he has fielded anything but his strongest eleven in the opening game of the CL.

Fine by me if that is what is takes to win the EPL

Good conversation starter Rasp.

I love that picture of Cazorla and Walcott. Santi looks such a likable guy, so friendly, so happy.

I don’t know why Walcott, being a good middle class boy, has got so many of those nasty tattoos?

Hi LB, it didn’t slip my mind …… read paragraph 6 of the post 🙂

I flippin love tattoos
    ………………………….. and sandals.

Ok, Mucky, thanks for trying anyway. 🙂
    He may be poo but he’s our poo.
    I seem to remember the same being said of Walcott not so long ago.

I found this quite amusing once I’d hit ‘translate’.

Fat Sam has had a pop at Wenger in his new book.

Here’s one response.

Never me, I’ve always been in the “sign da ting” camp 🙂

Not sucking up or anything, but definitely warming to tatts 🙂

I saw it Rasp, thanks for remembering.

Sandals, sandals, that is the weirdest fetish I have ever heard of 🙂

But are you warming to sandals Micky? Do they work for you.

Personally, my boat is not floated, it remains at the bottom of the harbor.

My guess is that Paul Easter is saying that he loves playing for Arsenal?

LB
    Some were dissing tatts, sandals and earrings on here the other morning. 🙂
    Now, I haven’t got an earring but I do wear sandals throughout the summer months.
    Only an idiot wouldn’t. 🙂

As for tatts, well……………..

Nah, that boat aint going to float.

I think LB is right, ie Wenger knows he cannot win both, CL and EPL this season, he won the F A cup enough times, he doesn’t want the Carling cup, so all the eggs go into one basket and we are challenging the premier league. It makes sense.

BUT. Surely Cech can play in both competitions?

Recap from last week:
    1. Tattoos are bad but not as bad as earrings
    2. Earrings are very bad but not as bad as sandals (old people are forgiven)
    3. Sandals are bad but with socks are unforgivable

Hahahaha

Thanks for the recap, I must have missed that one 🙂

Hang on, how old is old?

Oh god LB, I’m struggling
    Trying hard not to be so angry and bitter about everything
    It’s the cabin fever. Thoroughly unpleasant is what I’ve become

That’s a lot of tattoos that girl has got.

old is Raddy’s age. We wears sandals 🙂

81. This is a nice bit of ink..

82. Sandals and socks….. Good

he wears not we

yes nb, it is a nice tattoo. But what is the point of having a tattoo that you cannot see yourself??

84. Sandals and socks….. Bad

85. It’s what mirrors are for Eddie…

86. The Cockie Monster says:

Thanks Rasp !.

I`m of the opinion that the goalie situation is overated as they all make mistakes and have never fell for the……” He will save us 15 points a season crap ! “.
    I prefer to be on the lines that 4 ( 2 for me and 2 for Micky ) super quality attackers with a minimum fee of £50M would win us more points to take the title…..fcuk the goalie !. hahaha

Sandals are for religious types !….those that cant be trusted, you know …..the ones that come bearing sweets wearing hot pants made from old leather hassock`s !.
    Right off a sec` to raid the cookie jar….bless you !.

87. The Cockie Monster says:

Transplant`s first day at The Labido Confidence Clinic !.

NB @ 6:41

Is she one legged?

Trashy women. Undoubtedly my favourite character trait in a lady.

Watching the Wales game. Ramsey is such an important player for both Wales and AFC

Erik
    For goodness sake don’t dis Aaron, even if he has a stinker.
    I got myself into a spot of bother with the crisp packet crinkler.
    Think I got away with it, and I didn’t sneak on you 🙂

91. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all, Nice one Raddy.
    I have been one who has called for rotation all be it a couple at a time, But when you agree with Rotation, it seems wrong to moan about it when it happens.

If i was to criticise, it would be how many in one game, having said that, if we are to rotate and use all the squad available, then some will sit on the bench more than others.

Seeing how we only have two top Keepers, rotation would mean that they take it in turns, and lets face it we wouldn’t be happy with that, as we all see Cech as being the better. If as Raddy has suggested, Wenger has set his goal for Premier League, then that would suggest that Wenger would use Cech in those games unless he gets injured.

In goalkeepers i feel its fair to say that they could play all the seasons games alone , as lets face it they are not exactly run off their feet, but to keep two keepers at the best of their form, both need playing time.

I am sure had Ospina looked better in Europe, many would not have questioned him being picked, but as it stands he still needs playing time.

I can see the benefit of rotation, but still want to see our strongest team play. Wenger has a difficult job to keep players happy but also get the best out of them, He is the only one to know ho is fit and who needs rest, so i feel we all have to leave him to pick the team for his reasons and hope he gets it right.

Champions league up till now has not been good, but the standard of the opposition should in all honesty been beaten by us even with a weakened side, I would have expected Wenger thought both games would have been within our grasp, Sometimes just the way it turns out.

Good telly on BBC4 about the Dambusters

Nice to see BSR get on the scoresheet 🙂

94. stevepalmer1 says:

Sorry my mistake, thank you Rasp. 🙂

Bugger, spoke too soon, the little boy inside has just scored in the opposition’s net 😦

So Ramsey, Walcott, Sanchez and Chamberlain all score for their countries. Oil adds an assist and RvP scores an OG.

If they all come home fit it will have been a fine interlull.

Reverse angle

99. Wow! That Dutch git has improved, he could never head a ball as accurately as that when he played for us.

I’d flog him 🙂

Morning and well done Chas, 🙂

You must have worn your fingers to the bone preparing all those vids for our delectation and delight, altho Mucky might be sad as there are no pussy vids.

Thank you chas. Saved me hunting the net. Any dog surfing vids?

106. No dig surfers Raddy, but a boxing cat 🙂

107. oh but there is….. Mucky on the board

108. Raddy, in your list of Arsenal interlull scorers you forgot to add Santi…. Eddies darling 🙂

Yes, I love Santi as much as I loved cesc before. Soft spot for small spanish midfielders

Such good news about goals from our current and ex players 😊

English bulldog is the big cigar

Thanks NB. Dog surfing and listening to the Stones Exile on Main Street – it is going to be a fine day

112. Are there any stats to show which PL clubs players scored the most goals in the internationals? The Gunners must be near or at the top? Bodes well for us.

113. Raddy

Every day is a fine day 😀

NB. You are so right.

Talk shite radio full of praises for our Ox

Vet’s calling, ciao

Morning all,

We have a couple of new posts in the loading bay, peaches will be publishing one in a while.

117. Eddie returns from the vet ha ha

118. Good to see that Rasp and Peaches are on top of things 🙂

NB
    Bet you wish you were on top of something 🙂

Morning All

120. Micky
    My days of being on top are coming to an end…. age dictates that I have to stay on my back and just enjoy 🙂

121. Whilst we’re waiting for peaches to post a new post, this has to be the news item of the day:

Ex-NBA basketball player Lamar Odom is being treated in hospital after being found unconscious at a brothel in Nevada, authorities have said.

Police were called to Love Ranch brothel in Crystal, Nevada, after he was found unresponsive on Tuesday.

122. A couple on an African safari witnessed a cheetah chasing a small antelope. The wife told her husband that if the antelope survived, she would give him a blow job everyday for the rest of his life:

123. Morning all, sorry to be late I’ve been walking the dog and having a coffee 😉

Back in a bit ……

124. New Post everyone …………………..

125. Aaron says:

Cech all day everyday even on Sunday.
    Said it before D gelled in front of Ospina.
    Ospina makes good saves but not game saving!
    Szcz is miles better!
    Recall Martinez and let Ospina go…