Arsenal 3 Manchester United 0 – still smiling

You have to admit, Manchester United straight after a Champions League home defeat looked ominous. As a club, Arsenal have suffered too many dark days against United, and it has been a bit too one-sided. They have dominated us, and have had us supporters do some serious soul-searching on more than one occasion. And naturally, finger-pointing and vitriolic anger has been aimed at manager, Arsene Wenger.

How the debates have raged between those who think Arsene is like Mohammed Ali, and those who think he’s clinging to a job he doesn’t deserve.

We’ve had more than our share of Champions League disappointment, so much so, that the competition itself doesn’t quite generate the excitement among the fans that Europe’s elite tournament should. If supporters were full of volcanic lava after the Dinamo Zagreb match, the Olmpiacos game just led to much confusion and more frustrated resignation to the point where the Champions League has practically been written off.

Manchester United is a game that gets the hairs on the back of your neck bristling in anticipation. It’s one of the stand-out fixtures that the world temporarily stops for. It matters big time.

It is also a fixture with a lot of poignancy for United supporters of a certain vintage, because 57 years and eight months ago, the two clubs played out a nine-goal thriller at Highbury, United’s last game before their ill-fated Munich air-disaster. I bet Bobby Charlton remembers. I bet JC, GunnerN5 and Kelsey do too.

For 17 years, between 1996 and 2013, it’s been Fergie versus Arsene. On reflection, it isn’t really a fair fight. Ferguson did a fantastic job, but between Matt Busby and Alex Ferguson, United were a bit like Eric Morcambe’s piano-playing. They were playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.

What Ferguson did much more competently than his predecessors was harness United’s financial muscle and make it decisive. Because of this, you have to put Manchester United alongside Barca, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.

After the ‘here-today-gone-tomorrow’ David Moyes stint, the Glazer’s went back to the more familiar route of hiring a big name manager, Louis van Gaal, who has managed most of the world’s major club’s and more recently, took the Netherlands to a World Cup semi-final. But boy does he love to spend.

Unlike Ferguson, van Gaal and United can no longer rely on local talent, the well is running dry. Plus the heat has been turned-up quite a few notches from the noisy neighbours and recent billionaires, City.

In his first summer Louis van Gaal spent a quarter of a billion, investing in a club that just 15 months earlier had been runaway PL Champions. And there was a significant spend this summer too. As well as an expensively assembled squad, they also managed to keep hold of Goalkeeper David de Gea, their player of the year three years in succession.

But what really gets up the noses of opposing fans is that they’re media ‘luvvies’. Ever since I was a little boy all I can recall among the football reporting genre is gushing sycophancy over everything United. An attitude of ‘whatever else is happening in English football, the biggest story is always at Old Trafford’.

It grates hard, and it’s one of the main reasons this fixture resonates so deeply among the Arsenal faithful. Regardless of who the manager is, it’s Manchester United, and if you don’t support them, you hate them. For me personally, heading into the Manchester United game, I saw it as one to get out of the way and put behind us.

I recall LB being extremely bullish immediately after the Olympiacos game and predicting a win. I wanted to believe him, as we all would, but there was absolutely nothing I could think of to support that level of optimism, particularly recent history.

With all the statistical and logical evidence weighing against Arsenal, I declined an invitation to watch the game, and chose instead to listen to 5Live, knowing that if it got too bad, I could switch it off.

Then something incredible happened. Something completely unscripted, something so big, it shook the watching world.

Something clicked that had never before clicked among this group, and Arsenal supporters were treated to an exhibition, the like of which was last seen at Highbury.

ARSENAL 3-0 MANCHESTER UNITED.

How beautiful does that look? It looks even better when you never expected to see anything like that result.

Alexis Sanchez is an incredible force of nature, and the effect his presence is having is palpable. The biggest transformation we’ve seen since Sanchez’s arrival is that of Theo Walcott. He has suddenly stepped up. He has menace, he is no longer the peripheral weakling who drifts in and out of games, he may yet save Arsenal millions of pounds in their search for a prolific striker. I think Theo’s change of attitude is as much down to the signings of Alexis Sanchez and Petr Cech, the winning mentality they bring with them, the level they expect from their team-mates. But he wouldn’t have done it without his own desire to knuckle down and learn, and with Alexis and Thierry Henry he has two of the best.

As LB has said, this result is huge and shouldn’t be played down or forgotten about too quickly. Arsenal have laid down a statement of intent, the mood is changing. Players like Mesut Ozil, Alexis Sanchez and Petr Cech signed for Arsenal to win titles, and a performance such as that against United can only reinforce belief. It has broken a huge psychological barrier, and if they can remain relatively injury-free in key areas, Arsene’s summer transfer business will look incredibly shrewd.

And for his dedication to detail, and his devotion to Arsenal, Arsene Wenger deserves that result against Manchester United. October 4th, 2015 might go down as a significant day in Arsenal’s recent history. It could just be the day when they re-discovered their inner-beast, the ability to tear teams apart regardless of their reputation. The day Arsenal realised they have the ability to go on and win the Premier League. Like wounded lions they roared, and suddenly the mind-set is different among players and supporters. It feels like a genuine title-challenge may be on and a massive corner has been turned.

If winning the PL means sacrificing Europe, so be it, there’s nothing better than winning your own title.

Naturally, we all want Arsenal to win the Champions League, it has after all become club football’s most prestigious trophy, but with Spain and Germany housing the three most powerful clubs in world football, we have to be realistic.

The biggest thing about this result though, is belief. United are always the yardstick to measure where Arsenal are at. A defeat – which many, including myself, predicted – would have left Arsenal in no-mans land. Still doing enough to finish top four, but no visible progress and no title. However, a win – well done, LB – creates a very different landscape, a buzz of excitement, one where sometimes people like me have to humbly bow our head and feel a slight sense of embarrassment for ever questioning Arsene’s wisdom.

As I said on the day, I’m delighted to be proved wrong and the result offers renewed hope. This performance underlines Arsenal’s title credentials and elevates Arsene right back in the game. More of this and supporters will forget why they ever wanted Arsene to leave, but patience will be a key issue in an increasingly unpredictable PL, and the old cliché OGAAT is very appropriate this season having seen many false dawns.

Arsenal often strike when people least expect, and this feels like it could be one of those times.

Is the Emirates about to welcome its first PL title?

Written by Herb’s Army

161 Responses to Arsenal 3 Manchester United 0 – still smiling

1. Herb, yours is much longer than mine this morning: http://wp.me/p4FeF9-to

But it’s good to see you feeling so positive for a change.
    Bloody typical, as I get involved on the last post comments, Raddy steps in and puts up a new post.

Eddie, that Reporter was fake…. but very funny.

2. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all,
    Blimey, i read that post and i was wondering who had wrote it, in actual fact i wanted to get to the end to see who it was.

Well knock me down with a wet Kipper, an upbeat post hailing players Manager alike and i see Herbs Army well well well.

Supporters are strange at times, one minute doom and gloom the next a premier league cup on the horizon.. Well as far as i am concerned i hope we play United every week, as if one 3.0 victory has transformed a very good supporter i must say, but a guy who has changed.

I like this Herb, he has lifted my spirits, he has even made me more convinced that a league title is within our grasp. Many supporters are stunned they too like Herb was expecting a loss, i felt that the day after the game was going to be a time where Black Scarf’s and Banners were to show up again, Stunned supporters who have had to take a step back, A time to rethink and wonder what way forward they should proceed. While the results are going our way tranquillity will progress, support will get louder and it may even increase, less seats will be empty and season tickets will again be sought after,

Should of course we win the league, i can see those supporters saying, There you are i told you so didn’t i . Well if that’s the case i say who cares who moaned, were heading forward with belief, i believe to victories but who knows, i worry if this should happen, as what happens to sites like Le Grove where can they go, blimey a 3.0 victory can really throw a spanner in the works, can’t it.

Nice one Herbs Army.

3. A feel good video to go with a feel good post: includes a cat ofcourse

4. ‘morning all,

Like Steve, I was wondering who the author was and there was no hint from the banner. Then when I got to the end I almost fell off my chair in surprise. Herb’s Army! Well, well, well,

Slagging off the owner, the manager, the team and any supporter daring to disagree with you one day and offering praise the next, Is that all it took? Forty-five minutes of scintilating football?

Whatever happened to your convictions Herb?

5. Dundonald Dave says:

Nicely said. The 3-0 was indeed lovely. Unfortunately the only time I made it to Old Trafford was the infamous 8-2. It still haunts me….

6. The Cockie Monster says:

Don`t worry Norfolk !…………………………normal service will resume if we lose at Watford and it might be worth it as I don’t like the new Herb !. hahaha

7. That’s right Cockie, any way the wind blows.

8. Cockie…. you seriously don’t want us to lose at Watford, even if it would show you Herb to be the fickle fan that he is. 🙂

9. The Cockie Monster says:

Fcuk !, `69er !…………….if we lose at Watford now, I`ll probably get the blame !. hahaha

Seriously !…….I have never minded Herb`s views and someone has to have the extreme views imo to make better and interesting reading on blogs and that just happens to be Herb !……don’t know how so many get rattled by it, I suppose some bite easier than others !. At the end of the day, like all, it`s only an opinion of which will not matter one iota to Arsenal FC`s running .
    We are all armchair Wenger`s, Chapman`s, Graham`s, Mee`s and that`s all we will ever be .

I too, after just the first paragraph, had to rush to the bottom of the page to find out who wrote it, and to my absolute surprise it was Herb.

Welcome to the bright side Herb, the place where the sun always shines, naked virgins dance in circles and the beer is free.

Joking aside, that is a fabulous post, thank you for taking the trouble to write it, I really enjoyed reading it.

11. The Cockie Monster says:

Reading LB`s second sentence I thought …….where are you riding about in Cornwall ?

Cockie

When are you going to put another one of those beautiful houses you have for sale in Cornwall. Whenever they come up I float away dreaming of living in it.

13. stevepalmer1 says:

Looking at some of the comments, and i have to say Cockie is right, Herbs are a way to get a focus, He has his own way of expressing himself and it can be a little nerve tingling at times, but sitting back does also give another way at looking at things.

What i did like about our Herb, Is that even when he was Rankled with one or two comments, he did address himself well, Something else LB said when he said a well written Post, as it truly was a well written piece.

Expectation of your football club and sometimes the reality that your club are not performing as well as they could, is frustrating. If its frustrating for us how frustrating is it for The Manager especially after he see’s a performance like that.

14. LB… I’m more interested in the naked virgins and free beer 🙂

Bloody superb Herb. Thanks
    Things happening here on the hot food front and whatnot, so back later to really enjoy your fine post

16. Could be enough to tempt me away from Provence ha ha

17. The Cockie Monster says:

Tried to paste a nice property ( well location wise ) in Cornwall, LB, but it keeps disappearing !. 😦

18. The Cockie Monster says:

Drove past this place on Thursday…………..I wonder what the same price would get you in London ?

Cheers for a very uplifting and well-written post, Herb.
    Long may your sanguine attitude continue. 🙂

That performance against Man U was, indeed, as special as they come and has produced a very smiley interlull. 🙂

I still think talking of the title being within our grasp is virgin on the ridiculous and you have rightly pointed out the need to take OGAAT and previous false dawns.

Thanks again, Herb.

Herb. Lovely reminder of a fine afternoon.

Can we win the league? Of course. All I ask is that we are contenders and that we certainly are

Thanks Herb, a generous appraisal of our situation! – we’re all a tad fickle from time to time 🙂

Looking at the up and coming fixtures, I would be at all surprised if we weren’t top at Xmas (or 2nd at least)

Let’s hope we can maintain consistency after the manu game – and then the EPL title will be in sights.

A very good Post, Herb, and well said.

Actually, who are you — and what have you done with the real Herb?

23. Lovely post Herb and thank you for taking the time to write it. As I was getting it ready to publish I had to chuckle to myself thinking of all the abuse you were going to get for being so fickle 🙂

I have to admire you for having the balls to wear your heart on your sleeve ………. it’s hard when we lose but it’s fantastic when we win and especially when we win in style 🙂 🙂 🙂

I can moan and rant with the best of you when things are going badly yet sometimes I just want to crawl away. It’s not terrible for someone to air what many are feeling after a loss and it makes the
    next win feel even better. Like making up after an argument 😉

Love you all xx

[video src="http://giant.gfycat.com/MixedCoolDogwoodclubgall.webm" /]

[video src="http://giant.gfycat.com/MixedCoolDogwoodclubgall.webm" /]

Sorry, just seeing what would work.
    Should have just posted this link in the first place.

Not here but

Paddy finds a sandwich with two wires stickin out of it.
    He phones the police and says “Bejasus I’ve just found a sandwich dat looks like a bomb.”
    The operator asks, “is it tickin?
    Paddy says “No, oi tink it’s beef”

I don’t think you are far off the mark Herb, a change in ones mental attitude to life can work wonders :)I honestly think we could win the league, but not competing for three or four competitions unless AW surprises us yet again and buys a real leader in defence in January, if available, but of course we have the back to back games with Bayern Munich starting very soon and one could debate several ways as to which of the following would be the best end result.
    For me, I never want us to lose,but the possibilities are pretty slim that we reach the knock out stage and if we do could we progress further,I doubt it. I would rather we finish last than third so we avoid Thursday night football for two main reasons. The financial rewards are a pittence and do we have a squad big enough to cater for endless games and at this moment we are also still in the Carling Club.

It really is nice that you have written this headline post for AA, well done.

Sort of sorry about that but I’ve just learnt how to copy and paste on my phone

30. Arsenal Ladies v Birmingham, Women’s Continental Cup semi final about to kick.off on.BT Sport 1.

31. 2 in 2 minutes Arsenal 2 – 0 up after 14 mins.

2nd goal in moderation

35. Scrub that last still 3 – 1.

What is the score, Norfolk?

37. Vintage Gooner says:

Well done Herb as everyone has said a well considered well written post. Just the thing to get us through until we drive on through the Watford gaps.

Thanks for the heads up Chas. Always good to see an Arsenal win.

herb – that is a very good post indeed! I love the tribute to our seniors, ie JC, GN5 and Kelsey(?) thanks

you are right, this game could be the kick start we were waiting for. I was sure we were going to lose – my neighbour made me apologise to Wenger for doubting him. He went to the game sure of the big victory. Not sure how people do that,, but hey a pessimist never gets disappointed 🙂

A few more of games like that and we will laugh all the way to the top of the table

OGATT – got it!

Well, nearly, anyway.

Here’s the 3rd for completeness.

3rd goal in moderation as well.

43. I saw that the Arsenal Ladies team have a player called Nobbs…. I wonder if she has any tattoos Micky ?

OGATT

Online guide to animals of Trinidad and Tobago.

What has that got to do with the price of apples.

45. Herb's Army says:

Hello everyone, happy Sunday to you all.
    Just a few words to try and help us all through the International break.
    Before I reply to those kind enough to read and respond, let me address someone else who is reading.
    Perhaps my biggest disappointment over the last week has been the absence of GunnerN5. You left a quick comment on Redder’s brilliant work (and couldn’t resist a sly dig, I noticed), but have been hiding ever since. You know what, you might not like me or even agree with my opinion, but here’s an idea. Whenever I feel the need to criticise Arsene – which could easily be as soon as tomorrow – I will take it somewhere else. There’ll be no Arsene-bashing on here from me in the future, you have my word. You can have your clean, sanitised blog back, but call me childish names and I’ll be on your case.
    I’ll address you all in order that way no-one is left out – well, maybe just the George Graham hater, Norfolk! 🙂

Northbank – Hi, read your post thanks, you highlight the area most would agree on, injuries, and in that respect, someone should wrap Francis Coquelin in cotton wool. Perhaps we should extend that to the whole first-choice starting XI.

Steve – Who knew? Not you. You were quite unforgiving as I recall, then I saw you say it was GunnerN5’s fault, as though he were hypnotising you and controlling your thoughts. If you must wade in and take sides, at least form your own independent cohesive opinions.
    But it’s Sunday, and I haven’t read enough of your previous work so on that premise I shall reserve judgement and let that one go.

Norfolk – I’m surprised you read it. I see the name ‘Norfolk Gooner’ and stop reading because life is too short.

DD – Cheers, yeah, thought I’d skip mentioning that, which also came after a CL game. This at least repairs some of the damage.

Cockie – Haven’t spoken to you in ages, I see life’s still treating you well down in Cornwall. Did you ever complete your shack?
    And if we lose against Watford, it’s 100% your fault 🙂

LB – You make such a compelling argument who could refuse?
    I actually wrote this because you asked me to do the match report.
    As I was unable to oblige, I thought this might cover it.

Micky – Cheers mate. Your 2.40 – short, sweet, and made me laugh 🙂

Chas – Sanguine? Only when I’m asleep. So many human problems, never enough time. You are one of the reasons people love this site, sterling work as usual.

Big Raddy – Cheers, we are definitely contenders. Naturally we’ll need some luck along the way, but that performance against United has convinced me we are capable of going very close.

Rasp – It is generous, but equally I’ve been quite scathing, which we’d probably all accept, football can do to us. Euphoric highs and plumbing the depths of despair is what it does to us, most people on here are far more balanced than me. But it’s much healthier when we’re happy.

RA – I had to take advantage while I still had some clarity. Not all of us can compose a fantastically worded epic and have it posted within minutes, but I gave it a go.
    The real Herb will be back dooming in no time.

Peaches – Wow, I didn’t expect it to be published so quickly, so a big thanks to you and the admin team. I do take exception to being called ‘fickle’ though, as you say, I wear my heart on my sleeve where Arsenal are concerned, and I am the first to concede that there are times when I get it completely wrong. And as you rightly point out, it’s fantastic when we win, especially in this manner and opposition 🙂

Kelsey – last, but most certainly not least, thank you. It’s always nice to receive the support of someone as experienced and knowledgeable as yourself, and it’s great that you are still well enough to add your wisdom and gravitas on a topic that so often can be extremely divisive. Or maybe that’s just me bringing chaos to a serene peaceful playground.

Online guide to animals of Trinidad and Tobago
    ha ha ha ha ha

Herb

Speaking strictly for myself here 🙂 but if I thought this was a “clean, sanitised blog”, I wouldn’t be here

Crazy to think differring opinions would be unwelcome

Oh bugger, must go

49. stevepalmer1 says:

Well having read all that, all i can say is, I miss GN5 No one to blame when he aint here, You reading this N5 get your arse back on

Giroud has scored two in the first half vs Denmark. They are playing about 400m from here but we have a family birthday dinner 😦

51. Herb's Army says:

The thing is Steve, by nature I’m quite fair-minded, and like Micky, believe everyone has a right to an opinion.
    One thing you can’t deny is that during the last nine years, Arsene has divided the Arsenal fan-base to the point where disagreements have spiralled out of control and become nasty. Look at the state Claude gets into on Arsenalfan tv. Fellow Arsenal fans fight each other over Arsene at the Emirates. It remains a real on-going issue whether we like it or not
    That particular day you decided it was acceptable to join GunnerN5 in attacking me for my opinion.
    As far as I’m concerned, you’re a new-ish arrival here on AA, so before you launch into a full-scale name calling assault on a relative ‘stranger’, how about getting to know something about the blogger first.
    If you still feel like calling me names after that, fill your boots.

Herb. Please stop it.

Your comment about GN5 was completely unnecessary and Steve was right to point that out. I have binned it.

None of the moderators have the time nor the inclination to control the blog, please abide by our rules.

Herb,

Over the years that I have had the pleasure of commenting on AA, there has inevitably been the odd outbreak of disruptive discourse, which has seemingly sprung out of nowhere and usually it has subsided just as quickly. It is the human condition.

For myself I occasionally disagree with an other AA’er or two, and I might either choose to ignore the comments in question, or perhaps make my view known and then leave it.

Being right and unhappy is counter-productive.

I try, not always successfully, to choose only to engage in short discussions where there is a strong disagreement involved, as it never ends well.

As far as I am concerned you can say what you like, as can others, but to make the blog worth visiting and enjoying we all need to be sensitive of the feelings of others –[with the exception of GoonerB — who is a notorious camel wormer, and Cockie who likes tattoos on his ass — but do not dare him to show you them — or he will] – because if no notice is taken of the feelings of others anarchy will reign.

And that is true for all of us, me, thee and every other bugger. 🙂

54. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening Herb, I usually go by instincts, and i am often wrong, I have to admit, when somebody comes on and seems to knock everything i have supported for many many years i tend to get the hump, No offence mate, but you have that something that makes the hairs on the back of my neck Raise.

I often felt that what you wrote was a bit of a wind up, maybe thats just your way, but it rubs blokes like me up the wrong way.
    I usually am my own man, and when i said what i did to you, i said it to hit home, gn5 has been on here an age, He lives in Canada, but he likes this blog and most of the bloggers on here, he keeps in touch with home you might say, and when your getting on a bit i feel it means more to you.

GN5 has seen it all, he went to matches when he was here and now he is abroard still has that same feeling towards the club that we all have. A knock from a bloke like you about a club a guy has supported for ever is like a knock at some ones old woman, and it doesn’t go down well.

There are plenty of blogs that love slating Arsenal off, when your in the mood as Herb One you should frequent those blogs. Herb two is likeable writes good posts and seems like he could fit in here well.

Maybe i was hasty, maybe i got you wrong and maybe i need to see a bit more of your work before i judge. I apologise for unkind words i may have said Previously, but if Herb One starts up again then i would probably think you had a pattern, maybe ‘Ill just wait and see..

Paddies tried hard to do us a favour but no luck – diver Lewandowski without a scratch 😡

Steve, are you still there?

I have a fishy question to ask you!!

57. stevepalmer1 says:

Ask away RA, and evening mate.

Giroud scored twice for France this evening – maybe that will be the turning point for his season?

Stop being naughty, Rasper, these are not your type of fish — 🙂

Steve, as part of mr recovery regime I went for a walk at about 6 a.m. and listened thru my earpiece to Fisherman’s Blues – both the song and the programme.

I was shocked when Nigel spoke to Colin, who often ‘phones in – only it was not Colin, but his wife who, in tears, gave the news that he had died. The guy was a legend with his fishy knowledge and it shocked me too, even tho’ I only knew him from the radio.

Anyway, the question: I was walking around a ‘body of water’ by 6:30, and it was only just getting slightly light. As usual there were these tents on the fishing ramps and plenty of snores coming from some of them, and some with guys making a brew, or using their flasks.

I think I must be a spooky looking guy as I did not make much noise in the dark, and I have become used to being asked, “watcher – where are you off to?” or similar, to which I have been known to say, “Wash her yourself – and what the hell are you doing here in a tent – in the dark – how do you see any fish?”

This usually results in relieved laughter, as they realise I am not some night monster – but they never explain why they sleep out at night to catch fish they cannot see, and if they catch one, they cannot eat them as they apparently taste fowl (little joke there).

So tell me Steve — why do you, and the other fisher boys do it, – and keep it clean? 😀

Evening all, ready for a title challenge, who knows? But one thing for sure I’ll support the club too the death as ever and take on all comers who will try and put it down whether from outside or in.

What is it again?

Victoria Concrdia Crescit

Of all the clubs history often reached back to and for all the talk of the likes of Gazidis and Kroenke ruining the club would be nice if everyone remembered the above.

Now I’m not saying we should all agree but I do think that it should mainly stick to tactics and player selection, and without maybe the personal attacks on the manager for making the selections he feels are right at the time. For me there is a considerable difference.

Redders, some fishermen are saddos 🙂 The bivvies they inhabit at night are just behind their rods (probably multiple rods) which in turn are fitted with bite alarms. If a fish takes the bait, the alarm sounds and they can wake from their slumber and play the fish. I know this because I have worked with dedicated fisherman for more than 25 years 🙂

62. stevepalmer1 says:

Many Anglers on waters now RA, and the fish get used to anglers baits, Many will not feed during the day, but take baits readily at night. Anglers will have a couple of rods out on alarms, so as soon as a fish picks up the bait, an alarm similar to an alarm clock would wake a sleeping angler. Many Carp Anglers will do a couple of nigts which they call a forty eight hourer. Never makes a great deal of difference to me as i can’t catch them day or night. I do sessions now just day sessions as the Mrs likes me home at night, plus i like my own bed.

63. GiE – that is a Utopia too far, we would never tell bloggers what is the right or wrong thing to say on the blog. We all have to accept that there are many different opinions out there and either speak up or look away.

Thanx, to both of you. 🙂

It does not explain the ‘why’ — what reasonable person parks himself in a tent, in the cold, to listen to a fish ding his bell [hope Cockie does not read that] 🙂

I suppose there is an occasional sensible bloke who takes his girlfriend with him – so she can make his bacon sandwich in the morning – can’t imagine what might happen during the night – not kidding, I sometimes have seen them on my way back. 😀

Oh yes, and they are often loaded down with a huge pile of equipment that they load into a cart, and trundle around when they give up and go home. 🙂

I have to go – but Rasper you are amazing – no wonder you cannot always get onto the blog with such people intensive work.

Do you listen to Fisherman’s Blues too – or is that just non fishermen like me? Keith Arthur, a big Arsenal fan used to do the programme from 5 a.m. – 7 a.m. — very good, very knowledgeable.
    He got the hump with the reduced show and resigned. Or maybe he had the hump with Arsene because he did not fish! 😀

You are sounding like me, Peaches — heaven forbid! 😀

Nite.

Is there an app that could message the fisherman at home if and when a fish takes the bait.

Sounds like a business opportunity if there isn’t…….

Redders, I’m afraid I find Fishermen’s Blues a tad cheesy – all thi s male bon homme is too much to take 😆

Good idea LB – except that most of them go fishing to get away from home 🙂

The specimen fishermen who stalk the massive Wels catfish across Europe (can grow to over 200lbs) from Spain to Kazhakhstan (also found in the UK) will go to any lengths. They pound the water with a specially sculptured stick called a clonk to lure the catfish and even use radio controlled model boats with a trap in the bottom to deliver bait where they think the fish are lurking.

70. stevepalmer1 says:

The why RA, Men are Hunters by nature, although today with super markets on every street corner we dont need to hunt food, But the hunting instinct is still there. Today we set a trap and wait for the prey to catch themselves. Large fish are worth fortunes, so many fisheries have rules which state that fish caught should be returned alive. Many fish have been named and anglers photographs make them huntable’

The hunting instinct is still there for many, but the fish are handled with care photographed and released, catching a bid one give you the bug and you just want more, Also you walk round the lake , you must like the peace and quiet, nice countryside and a bit of exercise, Anglers feel the same .

Around the lakes i fish, many have had rods and tackle stolen while the angler sleeps, so Anglers are wary at night, so probably thats why they look out while your strolling. not because you look shifty. 🙂

71. What ever happened to a worm on a bent pin tied to a bit of string on a stick?

If an angler goes to the same place (not plaice) time after time, is he likely to catch the same fish? Do they give the fish names?

Peaches think you misinterpreted the we, I was talking about Arsenal fans everywhere trying to unite a little beyond the common goal, which is of course winning games and celebrating those wins heartily.

The annoyance for me is that much of the criticism of our club comes from outside. We can’t control or change anything about our club, but should we as fans really question the things we can’t see and don’t know. All we can judge is match day performance and results and at the end of the season silverware should we be lucky enough to pocket some.

And I just think a fair bit of unity in the support behind the club and all who sail in her and with her would help us.

on fishing I honestly think my mate who goes just uses it as an excuse to get out the house I bet his line doesn’t touch the water 😀

73. Damn, I just wrote a long reply to Exile’s comment, and lost it. Too late at night to re-write it so I’ll just wish you all Bon Nuit.

74. Red Arnie says:

wow, great stuff Herb. 🙂 hats off.

this was clearly the most significant performance against a major PL opponent ever, over the decade and a half taht I have supported the club. Progress! at last!!

COYG. 🙂

75. Our boys have done well in the internationals… goals from Alexis, Cazorla, Theo and Giroud got two last night. Hopefully, Theo and Santi will be rested tonight and won’t come back injured.

76. Oh and Ozil got an assist last night as well 🙂

8.51 Definitely the best cat pic we have had

Rasper, @10:42

The fascination for me of that programme – well apart from something to listen to early in the morning, on occasions – is that I do not have much of a clue what they are talking about – but their enthusiasm amuses me.

When I have occasionally mentioned it to others of my acquaintance they have never heard of it, and care even less. Anyway, I doubt they are up early enough to delight in its coded language of bobbers, jerk bait, line strengths and the rest. 🙂

So the fact that you and Steve obviously do know of Fisherman’s Blues is a first! 😀

Randy,

There are two at 8:51 — so you obviously mean the second one.

Cat people — honestly! Tssk 🙂

80. The tattoo girl is obviously Nobbs who plays for Arsenal Ladies

Really up to arse today, but great goal vids from the Arsenal Ladies

Superb strikes

What made me laugh was the poor Brum Goalie who appeared to blame her defence. They may have been at fault, however, perhaps don’t be a keeper if you’re 3′ 1″ tall
    Harsh I know

82. stevepalmer1 says:

One in Nuts should you want a change, morning all we brought anybody yet, Rumours of a holding MID for Christmas. 🙂

83. stevepalmer1 says:

Quite day, Sanchez getting a wage rise to make him Arsenals highest paid player

Hi Steve,

After all yesterday’s navel gazing it has left the blog dehydrated. 🙂

Probably too late for your offering today, but hopefully the powers that be will be around and it can be used for tomorrow’s Post.

What are the chances do you think that Theo will get another long-term injury tonight — if he plays that is?

85. RC78 says:

In the last national squad games:
    Sanchez scored, Walcott scored and Giroud scored 🙂

Tonight, I am expecting Ox to score :-p

86. Redders, Theo is unlikely to play any part tonight apparently Hodgson is making wholesale changes so he should be safe, although he could tripi up when leaving the team bus. I sincerely hope he doesn’t get injured, I know how much you value him as a top, top striker. 😀

That is sooo true, Norfolkian, I have seen the light – hallelujah.

[At the end of a very dark tunnel — is that a Freudian thing?] 🙂

88. More likely an express train coming towards you.

I see we have Watford on Saturday, then Bayern, then Everton and thennnnn mighty Sheffield Tuesday on a Wednesday — no hold on you are confusing me again Norfolk, we have Wednesday on a Tuesday.

The point of my ramblings is that I thought we had the Spudoes soon after the internationals but apparently not.

It seems someone misled me — was it you? 🙂

Now that, at 5:31, is definitely Freudian, Norfolk, — I bet you have said that a few times — ‘close your eyes dear, there is an express train coming towards you’ — dirty devil!

Don’t know who is worse – you or the Cockie one.

91. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all. England playing on a plastic surface tonight, will suit some players, I see that some of you feel Theo will be rested, i feel this surface will suit his game, i would be surprised should he not start.

Didn’t Freud play for Spurs in the 90’s. German fellow.

Superb!

How very peculiar, but something about that pic reminds me I owe Erik a fish

When are Jack and Danny back in action?

Oh dear, not looking good for either according to AFC site

Danny until Christmas at least. Bloody hope Theo doesn’t get broken

Sod it. Mushrooms on toast at this end, and we’ll chuck in some garlic, spinach and blue cheese. So there.

England tonight

20 Alli

Shelvey?

What have we come to?

Is he a footballer Erik?

No. I think it is an Ikea kitchen rack system

102. The Cockie Monster says:

By the time LB had returned from the Tour de France……Arsenal had won 2 FA Cups !.

103. The Cockie Monster says:

A young Totnumb fans first experience as passed on down through the family !.

Great answer Erk 🙂

Superb pics Cockie
    Saw the house you spotted on The Helford. Damn its nice down there

What a rubbish game

Anyone see the Ollie goals last night?
    Was it a proper serious game?
    ie Hard to believe he’s anywhere near first choice for Les Bleus

107. The Cockie Monster says:

Young Erik needed to smoke after his first ever experience of playing with his Cock !.

Crikey, I do believe that IS a spliff 🙂

109. The Cockie Monster says:

If I could afford it, Micky, it`s where I would move to !.
    I heard on a TV programme the other night that property in East London had risen by 40% in the last year !…………..basically a piss poor ex-council tenant who owns their home could buy something down the Helford river !……I`d be gone in a flash !.

You’re right. Its bloody nuts.

Mate of mine is a sculptor. As part payment he was given this bloody great house on the river there for two weeks. We joined them for one.
    Effing fantastic. Two little rowing boats with tiny outboards, and a couple of miles down river to the boozer on one side, and a deli’shop on the other. Had such a great time

You know exactly where we were

111. The Cockie Monster says:

What I like about down the Helford is that even cats get their own NHS !.
    😀

You’re on some seriously weird and slightly spooky website 🙂

Crap game. Gibbs playing well.

I watched the France game. OG’s goals were both lucky. The first was a GK howler, the second he shot straight at the keeper and then knocked in at the rebound. Then he missed a one on one sitter before being subbed, He looked lost.

Micky. It’s Cockie. What do you expect? 🙂

ok. Lets be honest, French football must be in a right old mess if he’s anywhere near the first team

I’m calling it a day
    Nite

Why not? I am a free man

Marry me 😆

quick micky ,reply now, before nb gets here!!!!

I soooo need help. I am building that bloody house and it is at the stage that I have to chose everything – doors, floors, skirting boards, windows and all other rubbish. Someone was going to help me and it was going to be fun. Instead I have to do it all on my own and hate every minute of it. What a complete waste of time

You’ve got the wrong bloke Eddie
    Hair wrong, eyes wrong, and so the list goes on 🙂

Oh ok, marry me so you can come to B&Q 🙂

🙂 🙂

I didn’t even know there was a game last night 😦 choosing doors. Was it any good? I hear our Ox scored

No it was not good. Yes Ox scored but he wasn’t good either. Switched off before the end.

In fact, as I reached for the red button, the last words I heard from a commentator were that some English forwards, like Ricky Lambert, would be waiting by the phone!!!!

That bad

Which reminds me of this that Chas put up a while ago

hm, strange. you see countries like Ireland and Scotland giving their best for the country and the English never do, why is that?

Eddie
    Allocate 10 minutes to each choice of doors, windows etc
    Taste/style will vary the final price by 5% max
    Invest no emotion or love
    Finish it and flog it to some utter tosspot asap

Must go. Appreciated the offer 🙂

“Manchester United’s Memphis Depay has been involved in a confrontation with Robin van Persie during a Netherlands training session

Blind, whose son Daley is a team-mate of Depay’s at United, also stressed the episode had had no part in his decision to leave Van Persie out of his starting XI for the Kazakhstan game. ” no, he was left out because he is shit and a traitor 🙂

What I am amazed about is that the injury list for the Euros is empty.

No reports of an illness, not even a sneeze, can’t wait for the weekend.

129. Red Arnie says:

motning all.

Micky. not great goals, but hopefully this will give him some confidence.

Danish goalie is rubbish

Eddie – I thought we were betrothed 😦

As to England, I thought Ox had a decent game, contininously finding space with good runs but never being found by the hopeless Shelvey or Lallana. Perhaps playing with Ozil and Santi has spoiled him

Arnie. I watched the game and OG was, quite frankly, pants.

133. RC78 says:

In the last national squad games:
    Sanchez scored, Walcott scored, Giroud and Ox scored 🙂

Now it is true that Giroud’s goals were horrible and due to goalie’s poor form…but still he scored.

Ox just needs to be better:
    – at knowing when to carry the ball out from our half and when to just pass it safely or kick it out;
    – at his defending because he tracks down very well but he also has a bad habit of deflecting shots that become goals;
    – at mixing up his runs wide and cutting inside.

The boy is really good – just need further polishing but I am sure this year, he will grow to become a confirmed player that will push for a starting berth…

134. ‘morning all,

Just put the tele on to watch the cricket, I haven’t yet seen single spectator, the ground is eerily silent. What’s the point of playing in countries with no cricketing history?

135. Just seen a fisheye shot of the ground, there must be at least 50 or 60 people watching. Farcical!

Morning all ……

…. New post ……

137. RC78 says:

England’s squad is looking good and balanced but it will come down to the choices of Roy in the end because for sure:

Hart – Fraser – Butland are going – 3
    Clyne, Walker, Cahill, Smalling, Jagielka, Stones, Bertrand are going – 7
    Carrick, Milner, Wilshere – 3
    Barkley, Ox – 2
    Lallana, Sterling – 2
    Rooney, Walcott, Kane – 3

Two spots left: one defending and two attacking players. These three spots are going to make the difference for your team…

In terms of defending players, you will have to choose between Baines, Gibbs and Jones

In terms of attacking players, you will have to choose between Shelvey, Wellbeck, Strurridge, Vardy, Ings, Townsend and Deli.

If I were Roy, I would pick Baines, Shelvey and then it is a tough one but probably Sturridge.

Why Shelvey? He can hold the ball well and has a good work rate and an ability to score from outside the box.

I would start against weaker teams:

Hart – Clyne, Cahill, Jagielka, Bertrand – Milner, Carrick – Barkley – Walcott, Rooney, Sterling

and against stronger ones:

Hart – Clyne, Cahill, Jagielka, Baines – Milner, Carrick, Wilshere – Walcott, Rooney, Barkley

anyone there?

why not?

I am confused as I hear these voices and this will not.

give me strength