Getting Shirty ……… When Gold isn’t Gold

arsenal-away-15-16-img3

It’s the international dull…. so what is there to Rant about?

There was a discussion on here the other day about the Arsenal new Gold away kits. Some like it, some think it looks dirty. Peaches thinks it looks ‘mean and dirty’. Well she would, wouldn’t she 🙂

It got me wondering about how these shirts are conceived, designed, agreed upon and then go into production. Who has the final say, Puma or the Arsenal? Does Wenger have input into the final product? Do the players have a say?

I’ll say right from the start, I don’t like it. It’s not the colour, I think gold is an excellent choice, but it’s the way our shirts look…. they look dirty and when a player has perspired a bit, it looks even dirtier. Who ever came up with the idea, it was a good one, but somewhere along the production line it seems that the material used isn’t right for its use.  As someone who uses colour in paintings regularly, I know how difficult gold as a pigment can be. From a tube it can be dull, not like the gold you would expect. Alternatively, using gold leaf produces an excellent colour. So how did we end up with a gold that looks like a dull, dirty gold?

Psychologically it’s a great colour:

The color gold is the color of success, achievement and triumph. Associated with abundance and prosperity, luxury and quality, prestige and sophistication, value and elegance, the psychology of this color implies affluence, material wealth and extravagance.

Gold in its physical state, by its very nature, denotes wealth and prestige in every country, culture and market in the world today – it is probably the most valuable and easily traded commodity available in the global marketplace.

This color is linked to masculine energy and the power of the sun, compared to silver which is associated with feminine energy and the sensitivity of the moon.

So how did we get the current material and why does it look so dull and dirty?

It probably started with some pimply kid just out of Art and Design college, employed by Puma on minimum wage, he/she draws a few ideas, chooses a colour and that goes to the next level of the design team. A few Puma employees then make a decision that it’s good and a prototype is produced. Then it’s probably presented to Arsenal FC for their approval. All good so far….. but I think something went wrong between the idea and the final product.

Before the modern shirt of polyester was conceived,  shirts were first made from wool, and then cotton. Heavy and made worse by get soaked with sweat. Polyester has revolutionised shirt material and now it takes sweat away from the body, polyester is light weight, durable, resistant to creasing and only absorbs about 4% of its weight of water, so most sweat is carried along the fibres and evaporates.

So why do our new gold shirts look sweaty and dirty. I think there wasn’t enough thought put into the colour and how it looks after just 20 minutes of running around a football pitch. As I said, gold is a difficult colour to work with and someone within the production team failed to take this into consideration.

Which leaves me with my final thoughts….. I like the idea but I don’t like how it looks on our players. I think it should go back to the production team to sort it out. Or maybe the psychological affect of Gold is making us play the way we did against Man United…. oh hold on, we played in the Red and White that day.

208 Responses to Getting Shirty ……… When Gold isn’t Gold

Cheers, NB.

I really like the dirty gold shirts as they symbolize the filthy money sloshing around in the Premier League and also, they look great when worn with jeans.

Not really.
    The real reason I like them so far is our record when wearing them.
    Played 2
    Won 2
    Goals For 7
    Goals Against 3

2. So Chas… perhaps the psychological aspect of gold is working?

Rasp, thanks for the addition ‘Getting Shirty’ to the title. Excellent… I wish I’d thought of it 🙂

NB. May I respectfully disagree. I like the kit.

The diamond shapes, the contrast edging even the slightly dirty gold. IMO the lads look fine but it is certainly not my favourite.

The away kit we used in the ’71 FAC Final has never been bettered – why can’t we just play in that?

chas. You make a valid point

When my nephew wears this old kit, I always think it looks better than the one above.

What were they thinking of in 1907/08?
    Then again, we were still at Woolwich. 🙂

I can’t see pics Chas has posted….but I assume it’s the gold Sega one? And that may be why we are left with this dirty gold, quite simply they had to do something to distinguish so they put the diamonds on and shaded them, that shade gives the dirty look and then as you say when the light areas become wet it all takes on the appearance of the dirty gold. But hey we play in England, the players will not perspire that much given a couple of months of winter and the shirt will retain its semi dirty look. 🙂

Sorry, the kits appeared briefly but hot linking isn’t allowed apparently.

The first was the ’71 kit
    The second was 1999/2001
    The third looking like the spuds in 1907/8. 🙂

Thanks NB

I’ve already commented on these horrors by saying the gold effect would have been improved with sequins

An advantage being that some of our footballers could then keep on their massive gold bling jewellery and no-one would notice

It goes without saying that I think men look terrific wearing jewellery and especially spectacularly enormous gold stuff 🙂

This kit is still better than that blue and green stuff. Can’t remember which season

It was the almost-fluorescent yellow one before the gold one, GIE.

At Leicester watching the game live, I did comment that the shirts almost blended in with the background sometimes making it easier for Walcott to make sneaky runs in behind. 🙂

Do you remember when Fergie’s mancs lost at Southampton and he blamed the shirts because he said his players couldn’t see each other properly??!

Which specific goal does this make you think of?

13. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all, And thank you NB,
    NB, did you write this rant yourself, as the middle bit has RA’s handwriting on it, 🙂

I know you arty types have a silky tongue, as i was talked in to an oil painting i took a shine too, about 30 years ago and paid 75 guineas for which i never had at the time.

I reckon these shirts was a con what i would deem as a shit shirt, of course yourself and RA wouldn’t know that definition, but the strange thing is, is i still like the oil i brought 30 years on, but i am never going to like the Shit shirt.

I remember when i played and we played in red and white, (is there any other colour) and we looked the Bee’s Knees at the start of the season, we took it in turns to wash the kit and by the end we were playing in pink.

I reckon these shit shirts are the other way around and by the end of the season they may look splendid.

Ooo, yuk. That’s the one Chas

Wiltord?

Actually Chas, there’s a great game in that question of yours.

A shirt, home or away, with the number. Which goal?

Yep, thought the same.

The Wiltord goal was in the previous gold shirt mentioned above.

Squad numbers were introduced in 1993 apparently, so associating a goal with a shirt number would only really be possible after that.

I was just wondering if John Radford always wore number 9 and found this. (Love the anti-spud commentary)
    You have to wait until 1min 49sec to find out his shirt number!

Morning all, I thought of Bergkamp when I saw that shirt.

As regards the 2015 gold, I wasn’t keen initially, but now I’ve seen the guys getting down and dirty in it, I like it a lot.

The link to the article that chas put up yesterday and LB’s subsequent comment about Walcott’s new found fighting spirit is spot on I think. So I am now a fan of Gold – except when in rappers’ teeth 🙂

Yes, I can see why Bergkamp would come to mind.
    This game also features the player whose goal I was thinking of,
    though. 🙂

23. Chas @11:05

I was at that game and went to the second leg at WHL… was also at Wembley for the final but thats one to forget.

Thanks chas, that was another Bergkamp classic. As time passes, my appreciation of DB grows, what would he be worth in today’s market?!

Of course 1993 for squad numbers as the cup finals the year before was the first time they were trialled in both League and FA Cups. I walked to that final with No 4 on my back for who?

Loved that green kit for the hooped socks. My brother had the kit.

As for the goal in the shirt Overmars?

What would DB10 be worth? Well he wouldn’t be playing for Arsenal.

Morning

I have made it clear that I think the shirts are fecking awful.Old rusty gold they look better in the picture above.
    To be honest I haven’t liked many of our away strips, the burgundy/maroon was also awful and why do we have to wear them.It used to be for colour clash yet there was no colour clash at Leicester,so maybe the club are committed to play a certain amount of games in them.

As a designer they never thought of asking me :).

I have the solution and it’s quite simple. When required you just reverse the red and white and there you have our away strip 😉

Hi GiE, I never saw DB as a mercenary, I think that if he was available today, he’d want to play under AW – so he might have been with us 🙂

Hi kelsey, we couldn’t reverse the colours of the 1st strip as they would still be red and white and as such, they couldn’t be used when player teams who also have red and white in their shirts ….. but I guess you knew that 😆

chas. Def Overmars at OT

Well done, NB, it takes an artist to make a good Post out of colours!
    And who can argue with a professional artist? 🙂

I used to watch some painting being done for ladies haut couture — known as expensive schmutter [ask Kelsey] — and they used to paint the designs with water colours which always gives, to people like me anyway, a boring matt colour both on the easel and on the clothing.

The artists were always female, and when I asked why they did not just buy a tin of gloss paint from B&Q to make it shiny, I tended to be told ‘Eff off’ or occasionally – take me to lunch and I’ll show you.

Mmmm — always liked artists fresh out of polytechnic college or whatever. 🙂

[I don’t have too much interest in male shirts, even Arsenal’s.] 🙂

NB.11.15 So was I. Both Swindon and Dirty Leeds. Horrible. Especially Swindon

Can anyone help me with a stalled memory – I think it may be flooded but it could be dirty plugs ……

The Barnsley game. I have a definite recollection of going to Highbury and watching it on a big screen on the pitch with thousands of other Gooners.

Is this possible?

Steve,

My answer to your question may have muddied the water rather than make things clearer.

It is FIFA who have suspended their employees, and not the law – and that is pretty much standard practice in all large [and small] organisations.

It is enough that someone like Bladder is being investigated by the Swiss legal beagles to trigger that suspension.

If he/they were subsequently cleared he/they would get his job back – except he retired in February – so it looks like goodbye to Bladder – unless he wins his appeal before the FIFA Ethics Committee – and frankly nothing is impossible in that murky outfit in which case it is ‘Hello, Bladder’ and on we go. 🙂

36. Shard says:

I quite like the shirt, though I get what you mean by the colour being dirty. Not a huge fan of the pattern on it, but it looks quite nice overall. I’m hoping it has the same result at the end of the season as the 2001-02 gold away shirts. Bet you all will love them then.

I actually like the oft maligned green and blue one from the 80s as well, so maybe I’m just an oddball.

Chas, that shirt instantly brought to mind the overmars goal against ManU.

Thanks 69, I like the Gold kit. Exudes power and confidence. Who cares if the players look like Grooms at an Indian wedding ceremony? No wonder weve won both games playing in it. Opponents are terrified we will ask for a massive dowry or send Arnie over with some Bangla Videos.

I myself wear a Gold Suit. I love it, women are instantly attracted to me.

Many times in the over Thirties disco scene women have shown there desire for the suit by becoming really shy and coy.

This is how you know a women has intense attraction for you. The emotions are so deep that it scares them to the point were they are reduced to calling you a creep, ask the Bouncers to give you a kicking, and in there confusion kop of with the brutes in front of you.

Raddy,

Were you smoking a dirty plug at the time? In which case you might have been watching anything, anywhere – man. 🙂

Hi Shard,

Why are you doubting yourself? “maybe I’m just an oddball.”

Definitely no doubt about it! 🙂

40. ha ha Raddy @12:08pm

Those were the days when winning the Chocolate Cup would have been great…

41. Shard says:

Dennis Bergkamp. Undervalued in the market then and would still be undervalued now. And think of all the abuse he would get from the Arsenal ‘faithful’. Doesn’t score enough, isn’t fast enough, doesn’t fly, missed the penalty in 99 (the most painful moment for me personally)

Why he would be undervalued though, is because he’s the sort of player you build a club around, which is what Arsenal did. He seemingly wasn’t the sort you buy to score you 30 goals or sell shirts. Bergkamp, great as he was, needed the right environment to bring out his genius, and today, even more so than before, there are fewer clubs that have the philosophy that matches.

He probably wouldn’t be playing for us now. But then we have Ozil and Alexis now, so maybe he would. We were certainly blessed to have Bergkamp, Henry, Vieira, Pires, and the likes of Gilberto and Campbell all playing in the same team. Happily enough, I think we’re heading towards having players of the same ilk again. When we celebrated scoring against ManU, it was great to see Alexis, Ozil, Ramsey, Cazorla, Walcott, Coquelin and Bellerin all together. It was the first time in many years I thought of us having close to a who’s who of football in our ranks.

Maybe in future years we’ll be talking of Ozil having the same impact as Bergkamp did in shaping our club.

42. Shard says:

RA,
    The ‘maybe’ was more a literary usage rather than a literal one 🙂

43. Transplant

I now have an image of a Greek spiv wearing a Gold mohair suit and when viewed from a different angle had blue in it as well

Hi Rasp

No I meant having a predominently white top with a tinge of discreet red, and red shorts with a dash of white.That wouldn’t clash with anyone.

The chevron kit is still way out there for me as craziest and perhaps my favourite kit. The cranberry was home kit and was to represent the kit we wore back in 1886 wasn’t it?

Obviously the thing that slipped through when the Puma deal was announced was the removal of the new kit every other year from the fans charter for both the home and away kits. This was clearly done as part of the deal with Puma and why I guess they paid so much for the rights to the kit. They have released 6 kits since being our shirt manufacturer and we are in season 2. It’s very disappointing but I guess a way of the world. It’s likely I’d have to buy the boys a new shirt every season but in the past could be handed down for its second season of use. Whereas now they will probably both want a new kit every season to be up to date.

Although the when I told G on the way to the game that lots of people would be wearing the shirts we were wearing his reply was “that’s not very good Daddy” so maybe he will be a retro boy 🙂

GIE
    “I walked to that final with No 4 on my back for who?”

Initially I thought Adams, as I had a curious memory that he often wore 4 before squad numbers were introduced.

Having tried to cheat and look it up, it seems Paul Davis had the no.4 shirt in the season following but for the two 1993 Finals Ian Selley wore number 4!!!!!!

Oh, I get it – you were only 4 years old.
    Hahahahaha.

No it was for Davis, as he regularly wore Number 4 but the squad na,es/numbers were not announced before the final, but wasn’t until season after he had it as a squad number, the other shirt was No 8.

But i had my surname not the players name on the back……

Why Paul Davis, first he was a great player and i was glad he finally got back into GG’s good books, and also because of this:

It’s not everyone’s favourite newspaper but this article in The Telegraph reveals some shocking stuff about the 26 from FIFA who voted for Russia and Qatar.

18 of them are no longer there, mostly relieved of their duties and either found guilty or charged with corruption.

How can they let those WCs take place?

BR
    With a bit of googling, I found this on the link below.

Postby Monkeymaw on Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:13 pm

Any one remember the Barnsley game on the big screen at Highbury in 98? We won that one. The North bank was opened with a big screen in front but the bottom West stand also had people in it that watched the Clock end screen.
    I must admit I enjoyed it as I didn’t get an away ticket of the game but it was a bit weird. I still have some photos somewhere.

52. The Cockie Monster says:

I love the gold kit as it makes people like me with a Giroud hairstyle, six pack and well toned body look desirable to both sexes ………………especially Le Cog lover piss artists and desperate accountants !.
    Just back from a Monday to Friday break in St Ives and who needs the Med when you have the mildest climate in Britain on your doorstep with bikini beach babes drooling over me in the second week in October !………must be the Gold away kit and triple glazed Foster Grant`s .
    I don’t have to read that article, Rasp ! ……….being secretary of the Cornish FA, I was succumbed by the lure of both a Moscowvite virgin and the seductive come to bed eyes of Carmel the Camel to vote for Russia and Qatar !……………….Olga is great at Ironing and cooking etc` and Carmel spits on my knob saving me £££`s on lubricants !.

Rasper,

I followed your lead to the Telegraph – and they were running a photo clip of Arsene’s ‘best’ moments including his fracas with Maureen. Interesting shots.

Does anyone else think that shirt colour should be re-named ‘dirty yellow’?

Oh, never mind – I don’t care! 😀

On A Scale Of 1-10, Amos, How Do You Feel Now?

I was at that game when Paul Davis hit that Southampton player, just looking at it again up there I realise now just how hard he hit him.

Good punch.

If you go through the team selection in the season when we won the Euro something, Smith scoring the winner etc, you will see that Davis almost only played in those Euro games and almost never in the league.

It was pretty clever of GG to save him for Europe in which I thought his style was perfectly suited.

By the way, this is all from memory and that is not as good as it used to be.

Good post, thanks nb!

The way I look at it is simple – most players look gherkins best without any shirts on. Second best is the red and white outfit. Third – i couldn’t care less. Such good post all wasted on me

60. ‘evening all, it’s been a beautiful day here in Norfolk, we had a very nice walk going inland from Blakeney, then swinging back towards the sea to join the Norfolk Coastal path to Morston Quay before returning along the path to Blakeney.

We then had a decent pint but a poor and expensive Ploughman’s in the Kings Arms before heading home.

After a brief period of deep relaxation on the sofa I’ve finally got round to reading Soixante Neuf’s fine post.

I’m not particularly bothered by the current away strip, or the home kit, training kit, or any other kit for that matter. The club cops a great big fat fee for wearing whatever Puma pay for and if that helps to buy players like Alexis and Mesut in the future all well and good.

What a stinking, corrupt cess pool FIFA and UEFA have become, how are they going to be sorted out. I see that someone has suggested a previous Secretary General of the United Nations should be offered the FIFA job. But I can’t see that being a success, what has the UN done in the past twenty-five years but waste time, money and lives for very little gain.

All these major international organisations have too much money and not enough integrity to warrent their existance.

I had to laugh at this from Arsenal Gentleman’s article

“I notice that that ruttish, unmuzzled, dog-faced ratsbane Diego Costa is 27 years old this week. I would urge him to become a true legend for Chelsea fans. There is only one way to achieve this, and he should consult the examples of Mr. Jim Morrison, Mr. Cobain, Mr. Jones and Ms. Joplin in this regard.”

;-D

The obvious choice for the UEFA or FIFA jobs is Arsene Wenger. Let’s hope no-one else realises

63. Thanks nb for the post, one of the best things about this season are those dirty gold kits. Maybe it’s just that Theo looks so mean and dirty in that shirt – well I think he does anyway.

How many days until we play again …………………

I too was on the North Bank for the Davis incident

But I would have sworn blind it took place in the penalty area. Age stinks 🙂

Paul Davis, top top player.

I remember watching him in the early to mid eighties and all he would do is try to dribble and end up losing it. Incredible skill, but selfish, lacked awareness, and didnt want to put in a tackle.

Then the late eighties. Out of nowhere he transformed himself. But what was really incredible about him was that his weaknesses were suddenly turned into his main strengths.

Aware of the whole picture, beautiful but simple one touch passes, and a calm authority became his trademarks.

I remember playing Totnumb at Highbury, think it was the 91 season, and Davis was up against Gazza. It was just after the World Cup and the whole country was bathed in Gazza mania, expect Gooners of course and during the game we gave the mad Bastard terrible stick.

Davis played him of the park. I think Gazza got subbed and ive never seen the fat git run faster

Ever since Paul Davis “Transformation” I have always remained patient with players. Some times a players improvement can not only surprise, it can shock. Such was the case with Paul. Great player.

I was at that Cockeral game to. Davis never touched him, the Bastard dived.

Very true Transplant

There was another very elegant player around that time. Petrovic? That doesn’t sound right. Help me out. Age stinking again

And Stevie Williams. Liked him

ha ha

Thats right Micky. Very classy player but buggered of to early. Dont know what happened there but it was before the fall of the iron curtain, so I suspect Petrovich had posession of a photo involving a high ranking ministry of defense civil servant and his philipino house boy.

Yes, just found this. It was Petrovic. Vlad to be exact

Nice article Micky, but I prefer to believe that Petrovich was a threat to Public School homosexuals and the defense of the realm

Possible Transplant 🙂

I think he was the first exotic foreigner of my era (regular going era)

74. Herb's Army says:

Vladimir Petrovic I think, Micky.
    I’m sure Don Howe brought him in around 1984-ish?
    He looked decent quality, but only stayed one season.

75. Herb's Army says:

Haha, you beat me to it 🙂

ha ha but how those two are related will, I imagine, remain a mystery 🙂

By a neck Herb 🙂

Are Theo or The O likely to start tonight?

x

From memory no action as staken during the game, maybe another first with floodlights, numbers on shirts, names on shirts and then first to tried and banned by video evidence (9 games or weeks from memory?)

There really isn’t enough of Davis clip wise, but he was a real elegant passer of the ball and such a shame that GG decided to replace him with the likes of Hillier and Selley.

Oh and the ferocity of the punch watching that video today I was really shocked by just how hard he hit him and how sneaky it was, can only imagine that Cockerill had been given him stick all game.

Blimey, you’re right, Hillier and Selley
    Dark memories

I always suspected some vile Terryesque sort of comment rather than just stick. Paul really meant that

Dont forget Morrow and Mcgoldrick GIE

Mcgoldrick was the shittiest player I have ever seen. He used to run like the Hood from Thunderbirds and had the face for a Vaudervale impersonator.

Morrow was shit, but Adams done him and he also looked like a balding Plumber, so I felt sorry for him.

Exile
    If you were England manager, right now who would be your first choice striker?
    Cant remember which pundit, but Gullit I think, believed the slck jawed one from Spurs shouldn’t be an out and out striker. I don’t think Rooney should either, which leaves Theoooo

Of that era Terry, Lee Chapman was no Van Basten either

There is something (not much) that might be able to be used as a post if needs must.

I thought I might sneek one in during the interlull when the bar is really low.

ha ha ha very sound tactic LB 🙂

Chapman was shit Micky. He looked like one of those 1970s superheros who would beat the crap out of Ming the Merciless and then shag Joan Collins for money

Fans can be hard to please – here is a report that speaks volumes:

— LIVERPOOL fans are demanding the dismissal of the man who has just been confirmed as the club’s new manager.

Replacement manager Jurgen Klopp has failed to make Liverpool the most feared club in football despite being widely tipped to start changing attitudes.

Season ticket holder Norman Steele said: “I’m a patient man but Klopp should have restored us to the pinnacle of European football by now.

“You have to question his commitment, especially as he has now signed the paperwork to start getting £8m per year.”

Stephen Malley said: “How much longer are we going to give Klopp? He’s done literally nothing so far.

“I’m going to set up a Klopp Out Facebook group.”

Source: The Daily Mash – edited.

Now the truth is emerging:

ARSENAL manager Arsene Wenger has not consumed solid food for over 45 years.

Wenger gave up eating after becoming engrossed in footballing philosophy and the need for his team to win as philosophically as possible.

Former assistant manager Pat Rice said that despite the club’s catering budget, Wenger preferred to bring in his own sandwiches, which he ended up stuffing down the sides of sofa in his office, after consulting someone called Furtive Terry the Telescope .

Rice said: “He’s always felt that food slowed down thinking, slowed down players.

“For the first few years of his managerial career he closed down the player’s canteen and initially it worked well, as Arsenal won several titles and cups. By 2006 the ban began to take its toll and the trophies dried up.”

Several high profile players left the club after asking to be transferred to teams where they were allowed to eat food.

A club source said: “We supply Arsene with liquidised carrots through his nostrils — while he sleeps. But he must never know this, otherwise his entire philosophy would be ruined.”

Haha McGoldrick, anyone remember him doing the warm ups in socks? Remember he used to ping balls forty or fifty yards shame he was no good when he wore boots, reminds me of a man who used to play on a Monday night with my Dad and his mates against a bunch of twenty somethings (I was often in goal for my Dads team (age 13/14) anyway this bloke only ever played in grey leather slip ons and so the story goes in football boots he was crap. Same went for dear old Eddie.

But if we are talking crap GG signings…..I give you Glen Helder.

By the way Micky….does he have to be fit? Because to be honest it would be Welbeck or Sturridge. And I think Danny would edge it, Rooney in the no 10 and Sterling and Theo on either flank.

I love that Kane’s bio is being rewritten, yeah we all thought he was the new Alan Shearer, turns out he is not as good a finisher as we all thought but he can pass so for the time being we will call him a No 10 before he drifts into obscurity and hopefully everyone forgets that we said he was “that” good in the first place.

Personally I’ve never really seen anything in his play that says he is a great, yes he scored a lot of goals but I thought there was a lot of hit and hope about his goals and I don’t think he really knows what he was going to do next.

94. Boring game lit up by Theo scoring 🙂

Exile,
    Ah interesting that you think that of Danny as I really rate him as well

Also, nice goal from Theooooo 🙂

96. Red Arnie says:

Nice one, thanks a lot, NorthBank. 🙂

Unfortunately does not work for me, yet. Maybe I will grow into it, with time. 🙂

but if we are playing better in this shirt, who am I to blow against the wind! 🙂

97. Red Arnie says:

yes, indeed, nice goal from Theo. 🙂

Chad. Thank you for confirming my failing memory. It must have been the first screened game at Highbury.

Why don’t these England muppets give the ball to Theo on every opportunity? He is the new Messi

Hanging Chad?

102. It’s an apple thing, they think you’re called Chad 🙂

Eewww,

I thought that was something to do with US election ballot papers.

Ah, you Apple snobs. 🙂

No probs, BR.
    In the course of looking, I found out that the Chelsea away Kanu hat-trick was also shown at Highbury.
    To attend that would have been ok. 🙂

What we’ve learnt so far:

Theo is a great striker and is improving by the week.

Kane is a lumbering oaf. The new Emile Heskey.

Sterling is overrated (the player, not the currency. Although maybe they’re both overrated).

Some people will attend anything

I haven’t got a girlie ipad and I’m still a snob 🙂

Chas
    I remember listening to the Kanu hat trick on the radio in the car at Highbury Corner. In a torrential downpour, as I recall.

I have a girlie iPad and even a little girlie iPad but I still feel secure in my masculinity. And I have two functioning arms.

Clyne looks like no Lee Dixon either. 🙂

I knew we should have signed Vardy.

and Sterling scores
    evening Rocky

112. Eewww that’s gross 😦

raddy 🙂 🙂

Haven’t seen much of Reg before we played Leicester but he’s good, isn’t he?

Oooo, I like torrential downpours.

116. Below the belt Raddy lol

117. I was hoping the Ox was running onto that ball from Vardy

I shall call you Erik Two Pads

Evening Micky.

Sterling scores but he’s still overrated.

Even Gerv the Swerve would have scored that one.

Hmmm… *remembers Bradford away* …or maybe not

RL. It was raining hard that afternoon. I know I wasn’t at the Bridge and cannot remember where I was but I remember how excited I was by the result and Kanu’s brilliant goal

Get them buses out, Butler.

Do you just like heavy rain Chas, or is that a euphemism for something naughty?

Anyone for an olive?

I was at that feckin Bradford game.

125. Erik Two Pads says:

Sterling reminds me of a cross between Glenn Helder and Gervinho

“cannot remember where I was ”

Surprise surbloodyrise

That third Kanu goal defied the laws of physics.

Saw a Chav supporting acquaintance today. Told him not to worry – Chelsea will probably stay up.

128. Erik Two Pads says:

chas. Must have been an evening to forget and it was absolutely freezing

129. Character building chas, attending those kind of games

130. Erik Two Pads says:

Didit. So where were you?

Probably wiping the effluent out of the seal enclosure

That must have been a fun trip Chas 😀

I remember a happier outing to Bradford in (I think) the ’97-’98 season. We won 2-0 and Dennis scored a beauty from the edge of the area into the top corner of the goal, right in front of us travelling fans.

Erik2P
    We had a great mini real ale tour before, so the evening wasn’t wasted. 🙂

can’t remember either 🙂

SEA LIONS, FFS.

E2P

Bit harsh about Sterling 🙂

Are sea lions the same as seals?

If only we had an expert to hand…

Coooey

138. Erik Two Pads says:

OK Sea Lions. How could I forget?

RL. Barnsley. See vid above.11.12

Rocky
    Was it Barnsley?

140. Red Arnie says:

nah! great player, but right of front three for me. any day. the problem is, that is disaster for the Ox. hmmm.

Wow, look at me. Still around with the grown ups
    And Chad 🙂

Rocky is just winding us up to pretend he hasn’t read all of today’s comments. 🙂

This reminds me of Le Grove days with several conversations going on at once. 🙂

144. Erik Two Pads says:

Who are you calling a grown up?

I am leaving in a huff cos I have school tomorrow

Game over, so back to colouring books.

146. Erik Two Pads says:

Lee Dixon looks like a stationery rep

Its like doing a sleep over

nite Peaches, nite Erik, nite Rocky, Nite Chad, nite Arnie

’till dawn

Little bastards never smiled like that me I tell ya

149. Nite micky, now that does remind me of Le Grove 🙂

150. Erik Two Pads says:

Nite. Peaches,

BTW I have sent you money for “services”, thank you so much

151. Just need someone to mention some rock guitars and we’re fully in retro mode

152. Oooh thanks, we’ll sort out how to meet up nearer the time

Nite all.

E2P – nice pic of Allardyce

Bradford, Barnsley, what’s the diff? Northern monkeys all. (But yes, it was Barnsley – I’ve never seen us play at Valley Parade even though the first Mrs Rocky was from Bradford).

And of course I’ve read all the comments 😳

154. Red Arnie says:

🙂 🙂 🙂 nite, Micky!

Evening all while you’ve all been watching footie we started making a dent in our sky plus box and its recording space (basically it’s getting full because when kids go to bed we fall asleep) so armed with a couple of espressos we watched “Saving Mr Banks” I’ll say that is one of the best films I’ve seen for a while but probably because I still love Mary Poppins (even with the awful cockney accent from Dick van Dyke). Glad to see Kane didn’t embarrass my pre game meandering shy scoring a hatful 🙂

Looking at the midfield line up tonight can’t help thinking Barkley would be helped with players like Ward Prowse and Jack, even Henderson would be a improvement on Milner and Lallana.

But where it gets really scary going in to tournament football is our defence, Stomes and Cahill probably best two English defenders on paper, but can’t help thinking it should be Stones and Jagielka

157. That was a decent win for England, a good run out for Theo, nothing too taxing and a goal as well.

I guess everyone’s tucked up in bed, so good night all.

158. The Cockie Monster says:

This is true !………………I was sitting eating my award winning Cornish cornet of toffee fudge ice cream at St Ives harbour yesterday when a Seal swam up and started barking whilst clapping it`s hands !………………………obviously it was giving me it`s seal of approval for the Gold away kit !.

159. Good morning all

Great banter last night and a brilliant discussion about shirts and scorers through the ages. I must admit a couple of names were mentioned who I had never bloody heard of…. you lot put me to shame as a supporter 😀

160. A sea Lion is just a bigger fecking seal innit? 🙂

161. So Herr Klopps middle name is Norbert and he is the ‘normal one’. So from now on he is, ‘Norbert the Normal’.

Aguero out for a month, David Silver crocked, Oh Danny Boy, the League the League is calling………..

Great news to start the day LB

NB One has ears

164. So apart from size, that’s the only difference…. ears?

Mario Gotze is also out for Bayern, 10 to 12 weeks.

Morning, seals are found in the northern hemisphere and sealions the southern 🙂

LB
    Just looked at our fixtures, and with City at home under the lights, top at Christmas is not beyond the realms

167. Micky, I’ve been thinking along the same lines… then after Christmas, if we have our usual good second half to the season……………………. ?

168. So Alexis, Santi and Theo all scored in the internationals….. keeping their form going and ready for Watford.

We shouldn’t tempt fate and relish injuries to other team’s players with our luck in that department – don’t forget we have another international to survive. I’d be surprised if Alexis features in the Watford game, we really shouldn’t need him to win that one.

Indeed NB
    Chuck in a January transfer window to plug an injury plagued position if one should appear and bingo

Rasp
    That cannot be true. When I trained Sealions we had little Californian ones to massive Russian brutes (stinking attitude is what they had)

171. Rasp…. you should know by now that ‘fate’ and ‘luck’ do not exist in football 🙂

Just checked Micky, it is only the north atlantic where you don’t find sealions – so you are correct 🙂

Goetze as well
    The Internationals just keep on giving
    Theo practices his new role in a gentle meaningless encounter, while key playes for opposition teams crumble
    Can’t wait for the next Interdull 🙂

174. So we should seal the number one spot by Christmas…

🙂

Don’t start me NB 😆

Luck can only be applied to an occurrence that results from something unexpected or out of the ordinary – ergo a player who’s foot is broken because another player stamps on it is unlucky. A player who’s shot hits the post is not unlucky, he just didn’t execute the shot perfectly 🙂

177. Has Ergo broken a foot then…. who does he play for and will it benefit us?

Oi Rasp
    Don’t try and clever us at this hour. Way below the belt 🙂

179. Micky, I know my Latin…. Ergo, procter, hoc…. or sumfing like that 🙂

180. I suppose we could apply that latin logic to the Costa – Gabriel incident…. Since event Y followed event X, then Y must have been caused by event X…. gerrit?

181. Anyway, it’s Saturday…. things to do, bars to visit, ergo,wine to drink

182. Ego vobis valedico 🙂

Sorry Micky 😦 check this out, it’s bloody brilliant ….. you too NB, this is right up your street

Great Rasp, but jeepers, what kinda guy has a machine gun tattooed on his forearm? 🙄

Rasp – brilliant!! How does he do it though, prints the photos? I want to do that 🙂

Hi Eddie, he must add the drawing after snapping the dog – you couldn’t get a dog to hold a pose for long enough 🙂 Also he’d run out of wall space in his apartment!

Just spotted the tattoo Micky …. hmmm dubious – but he is a septic.

I don’t trust anyone with tattoos, it represents a short-term view of life 🙂

Rasp
    Other than that, knobs

Rasp 🙂 obviously, I was just wondering if he has some software to ‘draw’ on the photos electronically. I doubt it though – he prints them, draws and scans back to computer.

Probably an ipad Eddie.

Erik Two Pads is your Man 🙂

Tattoos better than earrings Why did nb say yesterday that gold is masculine?? I cannot stand men with jewelry.

Just so Eddie 🙂

Micky, I can honestly say I’ve never seen a tattoo and thought … great I’d love that on me – but I’ve seen countless disasters. Dark blue lines on pasty white skin are really not attractive.

In a few years we will have old peoples homes populated with wrinklies with inappropriate body artwork …. not something the WI would approve of 😆

Erik = Raddy

Eddie, can’t believe you of all people would find a man attractive that spends time on his appearance. On any level.

Ok, off for a walk on smooth surfaces 🙄

Raddy Erik? I am lost

micky – you are right 🙂 basic hygiene and barber once a month is all that is required.

rasp – tell my son that have you seen his chest?? disgusting

nb – a little story for you iro vaue of gold.

My darling grandmother sold her country house and land some 50 years ago. She received $100 banknote and $20 gold coin dated 1904. She kept both and we found them when she died 10 years ago. I have the treasure now and the $100 note is worth about £65 and the gold coin about £1,500. The moral of the story? If you have money – spend it all and enjoy every penny, it will be worthless in the future.

196. Erik Two Pads says:

Family day. No football which means a day at the shops, a higgling lunch at a krog and then some more shopping.

Who pays? Grandad, of course. Hope the flexible friend doesn’t let me down.

197. Erik Two Pads says:

Theo is on fire ATM, so is Sanchez.

I will tell the coven to send positive vibes into the ether to ensure they return fit and strong.

Maybe even sacrifice something

I arrive late and see another side to some outwardly normal people –

Micky said: – “My view on Tattoos is pretty much the same as for earrings. Punks and Pirates good
    Other than that, knobs”

You want a tattoo on your knob? Only Cockie does that, surely? Ugh.

Rasp said: “a player who’s foot is broken because another player stamps on it is unlucky.” That is neither lucky or unlucky — he is a victim!

Good grief, where do we get these people? 😀

199. Erik Two Pads says:

There is a

New Post

200. Shard says:

Is it too early to talk football?

I just wanted to say how funny I found Gie’s comment on the media and Harry Kane. Funny because it’s so true.

Also, is Raymond Verheijen now going to come out and blast ManCity’s manager and trainers for Aguero’s recurring injuries? Or are injuries only the club’s fault when it’s Arsenal?

Klopp at Liverpool is interesting. It allows him to keep playing as the underdog manager fighting the good fight against bigger badder clubs. If Liverpool give him time then I think he could have them up as CL regulars. But I thought so about Villas-Boas at Spurs too.

201. The Cockie Monster says:

I have a tattoo on my Maximus Gluteus reading….” What do you think of Totnumb ? “……then an arrow pointing to my rectum. It lightens up the mood for my carer who has the un-envious job of changing my incontinence pants !.

Erik the 2P

To protect the Arsenal players from injury you said: “Maybe even sacrifice something” how about one of your iPads, then you would only have to pee once? 🙂

Erik the Pee — yup that sounds cool for a Viking! 🙂