Arsene’s fantastic Vision of Beautiful Football

The wonderful result of the game against Manyoo last weekend has given a very welcome boost to the Arsenal fans’ morale, and allowed a certain justifiable smugness to permeate the air on Arsenal blogs — and not before time.

However it was not just the superb result that warmed the cockles of many a heart, it was also the way the team played and the captivating style of total football that was on show for all the world to see.

Where did this performance come from? Was it a one off? Will we treasure it and hold it to our manly chests as we quickly return to the old slip slop ways of yore?

Not if Arsene Wenger has his way!

Looking back for quite an extended period, we can see that there have been constant criticisms of Arsene for his dilatory decisions in not addressing the perceived weaknesses in the team last summer —
where is the desperately needed holding midfielder we need?
Many have asked that question, seemingly year on year, season on season to be truthful? There have also been anguished pleas for a top, top centre forward to be acquired. And while we are at it, why are our full backs encouraged to frequently desert their defensive duties and hare upfield in support of the attack?
Questions, questions.

On the face of it, the above appear to be a hotchpotch list of gripes that have resulted in the anger of the fans fulminating from time to time into outright animosity when results have not gone our way, and led to many despairing of Arsene ever changing his spots.

This suppurating anger of some fans has not been helped by Wenger appearing to refuse to explain his vision, his strategy and his tactics to us, or even to agree to be accountable to the fans according to some, and, if true, it is a pity as it would perhaps allow us to understand his apparent reluctance to caulk over the defensive and attacking holes in his team by buying suitably qualified players and addressing the issues.
Of course no one has satisfactorily explained why he should have to explain everything he does – that would make him a hostage to fortune.

However, Arsene, like many highly intelligent men when confronted with seemingly incomprehensible angst by others regarding what appears to him to be a straightforward situation, sometimes shows an inability to understand why there is even a problem, when his vision, motives and methodology are so obvious to him.

The answer to why he does certain things lies, I believe, in his vision of the beautiful game. Football, so he believes, is not broken down into the micro or macro analysis of defence and attack, he really does see the game as being one unified, flowing, seamless whole. To him there is no need to assign specific responsibilities to one type of player or the other, because the whole team need to be capable of defending and attacking as one smoothly efficient working unit.

Every Wenger team is expected to play in a certain way — his way — conforming to his vision, and to hell with worrying about the opposition. He wants to win, and win beautifully, by playing football as a form of art with each honed cog of the team working like a perfectly functioning and exquisite Rolex, or a Blequet or a Hublot watch, and stuff the Timex teams acceptable to the other clubs.

Therein lies the problem. Most fans want to win trophies to give them bragging rights, and it matters not to them if it was the result of a fluke deflection off someone’s ass, or a bad refereeing decision, or playing against 10 men or whatever advantage the Gods happen to throw at them.
A win is a win, is a win, innit?

But maybe Arsene needs to promote and explain his vision to the fans better, and to reassure them that he does indeed want to win trophies, and to win them in a style that would make them proud to support a club who foster such a vision of perfection — a vision of playing the beautiful game.

Arsene also needs to appreciate, although I know he does already, that every Rolex or Hublot needs to have the very best of materials to hit the amazingly high standards of perfection they aspire to, and so too does his Arsenal team.

There are very many of us who would love to see this man reach his visionary goal before he eventually retires, and not appear in the annals of history as just another footballing Don Quixote futilely tilting at windmills.
And not just for his sake, but also for the sakes of those of us who have supported Arsenal all our lives, and will do so until the end, but would love to thrust out our chests and brag ‘we saw Arsene Wenger, and the Invincibles team – and we also saw beautiful football from the New Warriors when we won the EPL and the Champions League!’

It’s coming!!

written by RA

211 Responses to Arsene’s fantastic Vision of Beautiful Football

Thanks, RA.
    So you’re saying Wenger doesn’t do tactics? 🙂

p.s. I had to look up Blequet and Hublot.

……..was already familiar with Timex and fake Rolex.

4. ‘dilatory decisions’ and ‘fulminating fans’ ……… thought you may have got something in about ‘incontinent fans’ Mr Redders. As usual an excellent post. You are the Bill Bryson of the Arsenal Blogging world.

5. A smash hit of a post, terrific stuff Redders. You’re (just to wind Chas up) faith in Arsene Wenger is a joy to behold. (Just as your belief in Theo is unchanging :D).

If we can approach the level of play seen against Manure on a regular basis, then there is no reason why we can’t win the Premiership this season. Well of course there are one or two reasons why not, namely injuries and suspensions, but let’s not be negative, just for today.

Should we finish this season as Champions next season, which will most likely be Wenger’s last as manager, could see us make a sustained charge towards the Champions League title, and win it.

RA

You really do write very, very good posts. Thank you. Much appreciated.

7. Excellent post. Thoroughly enjoyed.

Agree with that Norfolk

I predicted on here after about 4 games I thought we’d end up 2nd in the league, and I stand by that. Could we win it? Yes, of course, but to my mind the obstacle will be squad strength/injuries.

Touching back on RA’s post, for me Arsene’s biggest legacy will be turning Arsenal into a footballing purists outfit.

Remember the bit from Hornby’s Fever Pitch, where he talks about marriage and slipping down to The Lane for a bit of slap and tickle ie watch good football. That, thank goodness, is over.

The vast majority on here stood on the old North Bank, and we watched some utter rubbish.

Sure, we were young, bright eyed, firm buttocked and pissed back then, but it makes it so easy for us to appreciate what Arsene has done for the club.

10. insideright says:

The more any manager (in any field) explains his tactics to the wider world the more he gives his opponents the chance to counter them. That goes for off the field business plans as much, if not more, than on the field playing tactics.
    If you want to win a game of cards its best not to show your hand too early and, if you can, not at all.

Yip, agree with that insiderght

Great work Redders, once again you delve into our minds 🙂

I think your analysis of Mr Wenger is probably very close to the truth – but who knows?

It would also make me very happy if he ended his tenure by winning one of the ‘big ones’.

His next challenge is to get a minimum of 3 points out of the 2 games against Bayern ……. let’s see what kind of performance we can muster for those games – I’m hoping very good 🙂

13. “Sure, we were young, bright eyed, firm buttocked and pissed”

I still am Micky….. I may have a few bodily soft spots now, but my buttocks have strangely stayed firm. 🙂

14. Prince says:

Simply put…you’re the Wenger of blogworld. I will now stand to give you an ovation…”beautiful…encore…more please”

15. RC78 says:

– excellent post 🙂

– I think we can play beautiful football and win as Barcelona and Bayern Munich have demonstrated recently. We just need to have the right balance in terms of our squad and also be able to win games by playing “ugly and dirty” when needed…

– AW is already a legend and would be nice to see his team win the CL

Sorry guys that I was not here to take my punishment like a man, but, on my return, I am blushing with the kind comments you have made – so thank you very much. 😳

Of course the guy who deserves the accolades is Mr Wenger – as Micky said, I, like most of you, did stand on the North Bank cheering my head off, and trying to will the ball into the Clock End, or trying to suck it into the North Bank goal, while all the time being aware we were, as a team, a bit rough and ready, and the complete antithesis of the stunning football we are now privileged to watch, delivered by the superb talent we were unaware existed back then – except when we saw it at World Cups. 🙂

Arsene, thank you, we owe you so much — except when you bug some of us for not camping Maureen!! 😀

Hi Prince, 🙂

I don’t see so much of you around nowadays – good to see you!

Oh, God — ‘camping’ should be ‘lamping’. Bloody computer does not understand my lingo. 🙂

19. Redders…. ‘camping’ was nearly as good… I wouldn’t have questioned it 🙂

Can I explain why I felt the need to write this article?

I heard on the car radio a number of Arsenal fans, who are no doubt passionate about the cub, weighing in against individual players and the manager with a succession of comments like ‘Wenger has to go – he’s lost the plot’ or ‘Wenger does not do tactics as he is clueless’ and on and on it went.

It was presented as if these guys represented every Gooner who ever lived, and altho we all know there is an element of that, and I have no idea how many that might be – who does – it does not represent my thoughts, and it seems they do not represent the views of others, going by the comments on AA this morning.

At the very least these damned Radio shows should allow a balance to the criticisms levelled at the club, [mean bastards who won’t spend money] or Arsene [old man, past his sell by date – and now we have missed out on Klip Klop] or the players [Ozil is gutless; Ospina is a disgrace; blah blah] and allow others to say that not everything is always perfect, but neither do we share that sense of nihilism expounded by the views usually expressed to help boost ratings.

Sorry, I just had to say that – defending my club, team, friends comes naturally to me and I am not going to change.

Speaking of which, where are you GN5? 🙂

21. Redders

Ain’t it all to do with a persons psychology and mental state at the time. Some people are generally positive thinkers, happy with what they have done, with what they have achieved and overall, content with life. Whereby you get some people who blame everything for not getting to a level in life which they think they deserve, not happy with their life and therefore, look to something out of their control to improve daily life.

I think moaners will always be more outspoken because… well just because they are not happy, so feel a need to criticise, which in turn makes them feel better. It’s not there fault that something is going wrong, it’s the fault of the manager and the players.

If I just examine my brother and myself as an example…. then the % of fans who think Wenger has lost the plot is 50%…. he is the negative and I am the positive.

22. I don’t think I explained that very well 😦

btw… I think GN5 will be back soon. 🙂

23. chibuike says:

your right,that’s why i hate piers Morgan and what he is saying about arsene, Morgan is thinking that he love arsenal fc, but for me he hate arsenal what he love is his betting he love bet more than his club.

Well said, chibuike. 🙂

Actually, Norther, I think you explained yourself perfectly — no surprise for me there! 🙂

Isn’t it about time you wrote a Post too- you are erudite and experienced in most things, especially art, women and football [not in any particular order] – so there is a large slice of life right there just waiting for your fingers to start banging the keyboard.

I think I could have phrased that better! 🙂

And, incidentally, NB, I agree with you @ 12:12 -says it all really.

27. Redders…. If I ‘banged my keyboard’, would that make me a plastic lover?

Probably more a plastic cover — but Terry …… that could be a different story. 🙂

I told you my phraseology was a little lacking!

29. NOTE TO SELF: Must proof read before posting… there is a difference between ‘there’ and ‘their’. doh

30. Redders, It’s my belief that most sports hacks/journos have an inbuilt proclivity for finding the worst comments available about any given club, manager, player or owner.

I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that in order to produce two or three clips of “fans” slagging off the manager they had to discard quite a number that that were content with him and the way he operated. Unfortunately, those sorts of comments do not make tasty headlines and sell newspapers.

The red faced, foul mouthed anti Mourinho rant from the Chav supporter was a case in point. Mix a bit of disapointment, some over hyped expectations and a measure or two of alcohol and you have a recipe for every journos dream. Something to bash the target with.

31. Right, I’m offski… I’ll leave you to it Redders, lets hope you get the comments your excellent post deserves. Laters

32. There their Soixante Neuf, don’t beat yourself up over it.

Thanx, NB – Laterz. 🙂

Congratulations on an incredible article RA – your write superbly.

Curtains are closed tight again in case I’m subjected to more, unedited, Herbal insults.

I am sure you are right Norfolk, but just occasionally it gets under my skin – especially after such a tremendous victory over YooNited.

It is possible of course that the comments were made last week, but I don’t think so,
    Anyway I have said my piece and maybe it might help balance the nonsense that becomes accepted fact if we do not speak up. 🙂

I have to go too — hungry am I. 🙂

36. Yep, enjoy your lunch Redders, it’s nosebag time for me too.

Hi GN5, 🙂

Great to see you – and you have a fine reputation, as you know, so I am sure that any lack of involvement by the blog administrators was occasioned by their work demands.

As I said earlier – if one person is rude to you, it means that 99 others are not! 🙂

Got to go – hope to speak to you later.

Hi GN5, I’m sure you are aware that everyone wants you on AA. I’m equally sure that no one wants us to jump in and edit people if we are around. As it was, no one was watching over when you had your disagreement so no action could be taken even if deemed necessary.

Herb has come on and offered an olive branch a couple of times, can’t you just put it behind you and come back and join your friends?

Whoa check it out
    Redders has a banner
    Great work Rasp 🙂

40. Micky that’s a Redders selfi he’s the one on the right, naked except for his usual collar and tie. 😀

ha ha Norfolk

Strangely, it was collar and tie that Transplant had to wear when going round to play at his neighbours while a young smooth skinned lad

before the incident and subsequent arrest, obviously

must dash

Last time we were at the FFB, the conversation included a bit about my old man visiting White Hart Lane during the war to watch both Arsenal and Tottenham for alternate fixtures since Highbury had been requisitioned for the war effort.

Anyway, we also spoke about the Football League War Cup which replaced the FA Cup during the war years and in particular the Southern Cup Final between Arsenal and Charlton in 1943.
    Looking for footage I came across two versions with some of the goals viewed from opposite angles.

Here they are ……………

Firstly, another excellent post from the rapid keyboard of RA.

The post and NB’s fine comment (12.12) made my day.

For many years I used to go to WHL one weekend and Highbury the next (an S/T at AFC and in the stands at WHL). Post Hillsborough one had to have a match ticket pre-game, so that stopped that malarkey.

In later years I had an S/T at both Barnet and at AFC.

chas. Lovely vids. Charlton’s GK was dreadful – a one-armed Micky could have done better

45. BR, actually Micky was on the bench that day. 😀

I am, and always was, a lethal striker. Deadly.

In my mind at any rate 🙂

Kelsey was playing 🙂

48. Vintage Gooner says:

Fine post RA thank you and well done.

Has anybody else noticed how incredibly focussed Arsene is this season? I think he has subordinated everything else to a league title challenge.

After the sleepwalk with West Ham we have the two dropped points with Liverpool and saw substantial change in the second half there after Arsene had spoken at half time. Liverpool were very lucky to get anything particularly in light of the Ramsey “goal” that should have been. The Chelsea travesty is strictly a Dean and PGMOL/FA matter and doesn’t need any more said.

Most noteworthy is that the last two league games have been Leicester and Man U with outstanding results and performances.

Against our league situation we have two bad results in Europe but I maintain this is because Arsene although he would like to win every match is totally focussed on the league and I think this is further evidenced by his team selections in both matches. I am convinced these were made with careful regard to the difficult fixtures with Chelsea (including 12th man Dean) and Man U in the following weekends.

Finally in support of my contention it is noteworthy that the C1C victory over Spurs was almost entirely our second string players. I hope in the next and future rounds to see more youngsters but I would be very surprised to see many first team regulars.

You will note that the one thing I have not touched on is the FA Cup. Here I very much hope Arsene will relent on his single minded approach. Not only is the double a major achievement in itself but the chance to be the first club in the whole FA Cup history to win three in a row is too important in itself not to be an equal priority with the league.

Vintage

Agree about the FAC. Records are good.

50. stevepalmer1 says:

Your posts are getting better and better RA, I am not supprised at all when we have results like we had last Sunday, and yes it certainly warms the cockles up.
    clutching our manly chests had me thinking Eddie, i am sure you may get a comment or two from her.

Asking for Wenger, to explain his idea’s is pushing it a bit, Should he actually know what he wants for the future, would probably be best kept to himself as if it was all explained everybody would know and be pre warned, i like it as it is and feel the shock the same as United did. Well done mate Blinding post.

Beautiful post, thank you RA!
    I had to check some long words, suppurating chore while reading a post, but I’ll give you that – you have your way with words just as Raddy has his way with ladies

Wenger will not win the CL

My mother has just hang up on me 😦 I only wished for Lewandowski ‘ s injury

It was this chap’s 125th birthday yesterday (ish)

I just saw a tweet from Sanchez Watt who played for us until 2013 before joining Colchester.
    Here’s his twitter profile photo

He’s now with Kerala Blasters, a club co-owned by Sachin Tendulkar and played in front of 60,000 people the other day and scored the 3rd goal!

Love the Groucho.

Blatter suspended for 90 days – provisionally.

That is to say the Ethics Committee [or is that the Essex Committee] have recommended his suspension.

Oh, yeah – right.

apparently he is lucky if he gets a game. He warms the bench most of the time 🙂

TW wants to take the England striker role. So do I.

This may go against the grain but I cannot understand the RvP hatred.

He left to double the wages and win silverware.. He achieved both.

The Little Boy remark was just how he felt – he wanted to be a winner and at AFC, who had sold CF4 and Samir, he knew it wouldn’t happen.

he was left with the prospect of partnering Bendtner and Gervinho plus a fat Arshavin. Backed up by a midfield of Song, Arteta and Denilson.

If I were his father and it hurts me to say so, I would advised him to leave.

That is the Inner Dad talking

Dear God no. Not Theo for England. He gets injured, and our season goes up in smoke. When is the game?

Raddy

Totally agree, and I never blamed Cesc for going to Barca either.

I think some are cheesed off because of comments he made, rather than the move itself, but kinda wha’ever 🙂

69. Two games Micky, Friday and Monday.

70. Blatter to be suspended? By the neck until dead, hopefully.

Thanks NG

I urge Roy to select that very excellent bloke from Spurs with the slack jaw

Dear Roy, . Kane is much the better bet. As is Rooney/Vardy/ and any other bloke who is English and can play upfront.

Walcott is complete rubbish Roy.

Haha, I really can’t stand van Persie.
    Apologies for showing how juvenile and vindictive I am. 🙂

I hate van Persi too, but I’m not juvenile or vindictive. He left at a very wrong time, shafted us and for what ? One trophy ?

Oi I never said I liked Brave

76. wally says:

I too hope it’s coming.

And yet we’ve been here before haven’t we. Rally round the old guy, win one for the Gipper in this hour of need and all that stuff especially in time of crisis.
    And then we just fade away. And four weeks later back to that infuriating inconsistency for which we’ve become famous. Puzzling results, lacklustre performances against relegation sides…..

Forget the gipper. Forget wenger. These guys need to start playing for their own self-respect and for each other. If all they can do is rally round wenger then they’ll never be a championship winning team.

Winning comes from within. Not because you love someone. You do it for yourself, to prove to yourself and your peers that you/the team is ‘the one’.
    And you need to do it week in and week out. They can’t use wenger as a means of motivation week after week. That shit fades. At some point it can only come from within. You either have it or you don’t.

I hope they’re at the point where they’re prepared to demonstrate to everyone (especially themselves) that they’re beyond capable.

Big Micky – but you don’t hate him, you should

Arteta is older than R$P and Flamini just few months younger, and they are still getting an odd game and all the love from the fans. Brave gets to warm the bench, serves him right.

Who on this blog has blue eyes? Chas?

wally – it was Brian Clough who told the players to give their best; if they did they would play well; and if they played well they would enjoy it. He promised them the best times of their lives and he was not kidding

wally
    Great comment.
    The players have to come out with the intention of crushing the opposition for every game, not just VanGaal’s manyoo.

Wish I knew what ‘gipper’ was?

I know you boys are just winding me up again and you detest him with every molecule of your body just as much as I do.

In the final reckoning, we allowed him to leave one season too early because that was all he had left in him.

A poor decision from Wenger, should have let him go after his bolt was shot for nothing and deprived both Fergie and him their swansong.

chas. Obviously it is a person who gips

chas. 24m of her majesty’s finest may have had something to do with the timing of the sale.

Yes, probably nothing to do with Wenger himself, but more with club finances.

Then again, Wenger probably did and probably still does think of him as a son and so wanted to do what’s best for him.

Major character flaw, right there.

That’s why Wally’s comment was so good.
    Unless the players want to win the League for their own selves, they’ll never do it.
    If they can only raise their game when the manager is under fire, then it isn’t going to happen.

Haha, I’ve just realised what a great banner it is, Rasp.

RA’s post has taken me into full acceptance. 🙂

Chas,

There was a famous and very talented American football guy, called Gorgeous George Gipp, who at the peak of his career became fatally ill.

Before he died, he told his coach to exhort his team-mates to do their best to win an important game by winning one for ‘the Gipper’ as he was known.

It became a phrase synonymous with busting a gut for the team and enjoyed wide spread usage.

Oh, thanks, RA,
    I feel a bit bad for not knowing.

Why should you, Chas?

It was only a version of ‘taking one for the team’ which is the more modern term, I guess.

I remember being puzzled as a boy when watching the NY Giants with my dad, and asking him because it did not mean anything to me. 🙂

Wow, the North bank (seated), from outside, for a night game.

Evening all, sorry late to the party, fine post RA. Listening to the Guardian podcast today I was struck by the double standards exercised by journo’s, so talking about Brendan’s demise they decided that one of his issues was changing tactics and formation so regular, they also said it would probably be the downfall of Timmy at Villa…apparently it gives the impression that the manager doesn’t have conviction, yet Arsene suffers so much criticism for not doing the same.

BSR hated him from the moment he released his statement, yes he played with some duffers for a season, but the next season suddenly we were bringing in players, Santi, Pod etc and yet he had already made that statement.

Cesc I understood and didn’t hate for moving to Barca, but then he went to the bus stop…..game over.

Top, top read Redders.

Your line about Wenger seeing it differently from his critics to the point where he doesn’t even understand why they’re asking the questions really struck me as having a lot of inherent truth. It certainly explains his occasional frustration at press conferences.

To jump in on the RvP conversation… I can’t bring myself to hate him or even dislike him, but I think many supporters felt that it was wrong of him to leave – after finally having one great season – because of all those years when we paid him a fortune to sit in the sick bay.

No doubt BR is right that most/many players would have done the same (i.e. move for more money and more likelihood of trophies) but given how Arsenal stood by him during his endless injuries it’s not surprising that many of us were left feeling he was an ungrateful t*sser.

96. Herb's Army says:

A post of the highest order, RA, one of the clearest definitions I can remember reading. Thank you for the time you put in, every time I read one of your posts, I feel like a student with a duty to learn.

GunnerN5 – Well done for getting back on. I can only really second what RA said to you earlier.
    I may appear very occasionally, I may not, but let me assure you it will not be to disturb your peace and equilibrium, so please don’t give me another thought.

Hi Rocky

Very interesting opening paragraph. As we know, bad news sells, so Journos digging for dirt is to be expected, however, our man does not take kindly to criticism.

Arrogance, conviction or basic self defence?

Anyhow, tad too early for much beyond cats 🙂

Morning, Guys

And thank you to the latecomers [early hours] for their comments – much appreciated. 🙂

So now I know where the Micky the Surf Dude is, what I now need to know is where is Chas the Cat Dude, and Erik the Red, the well known Viking Dude is? 🙂

Rasper,

I tried to send you a thank you and a chuckle for the banner via my iPhone yesterday – and failed to find a stream.

Thank you anyway, and you have been kind enough to include my constant companion Lil. my blow up doll – she never gets sunburn! 🙂

Morning Redders, you are welcome. I sometimes struggle to find a theme for a banner, but in your case it was easy 🙂

I am unsurprised that all the goings on at FIFA are not having much effect on the club football scene, but there are huge ramifications to the global wellbeing of football as it appears that Sepp Blatter as well as taking the fall himself is also taking everyone else down with him. There is going to need to be a huge cleanup act and like with our own FA we are going to be relying on self appointed officials rather than businessmen/trustee types who could really clean up the game.

Rocky. You make a good point about RvP’s time in the sick room.

True Exile

Then throw the new super powers of football (viewing numbers) of India and China, and the mix is potentially toxic and explosive

Times are going to change fast as even more money flows in

There’s a post in it, were it not so damn complicated

Thinking of Rvp & CF4, I have just been reading about Fabian Delph.

This miscreant was approached by MC and agreed to sign for them, however he did not turn up for his MC medical (an indication that the man is very suspect) .

Then Delph told the Villa fans that he was committed to AV and even took the Captain’s armband for this season.

A week later he signed for City.

So far he has played a sum total of 18 minutes in the MC first team

Karma??

I cannot believe we are having a conversation about Cesc and RvP again, must be getting old 🙂
    Not only that the Dutch traitor spent 7 years in a physio room (Cesc gave us his best years, never sick), but he went to the Mancs!! Played against us, helped them win the league, not that is not to be forgiven

I hope someone is not going to come on and say that Cesc also joined the opposition 🙂

107. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all, a lot has happened in a day, Herb and GN5 are back blogging may never be friends but are back regardless. Septic has been suspended, which when you consider every agency in the world has been investigating it seems to have taken a long time to find enough to actually suspend him. The run over copper’s Murderer has been arrested, and the sink hole in St Albans has been filled. A Muslem has won the great British bake off, just to show that we cant bake. And Cameron has slagged of Labour.

All these jaw dropping happenings on the same day as RA’s splendid post, and strangely enough i was entertained more by his post than anything else.

I am just hearing that the coral in the sea is under investigation, and i just can’t wait for todays post as i’m sure that will be better than anything else i read.

Naismith tonight 😦 I really don’t like him, but he is a good player 😦

Not sure if you guys know, but there is a genuine threat of a war with Russia and Poland. One of the Russian ministers said last month that the was is eminent and will be on before June 2016. Nato are sending troops to the Baltic states as we speak, great!

Russia v Poland

Steve – why are you ranting already?? Its not even Friday

I can bake. I baked a delish nectarine cheesake and nobody wants to eat it – all on a bloody diet 😦 do you want some Steve?

110. stevepalmer1 says:

Eddie, Good morning, if you had baked it specially for me, then i certainly would have eaten it. I dont do diets, but i am always appreciative of my Mrs cooking. and yours sounds Yummy 🙂

111. Eddie…. it’s all a load of Baltics.

steve – I bake especially for me 🙂

I thought so too, but the situation is getting very serious now, Russians are constantly provoking the Polish. Last week they more or less said that it wasn’t Hitler who started WW2, it was the polish government

Eddie,

Not that I want to make sweeping statements, but Poland is part of Nato, and any overt act against them by the Russians would mean WW3 would kick off.

The British troops going to the Baltics number 150 men so are hardly going to worry anyone, and are simply a political reminder to the Ruskies that they will not be allowed to bully Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania – who are also part of Nato.

To cool the tensions between the West and Russia, no military bases have been set up in those 4 countries since they joined Nato.

Unfortunately, for the Ukraine, they are not part of Nato, and that is why Putin is taking big chunks out of that poor country including the Crimea.

I have only been to Estonia and what complicates matters there is that during the time of the USSR the Russians put many thousands of their people into the baltic states to settle there, and they can be pretty aggressive in demanding the country return as part of greater Russia, as you will hear if you ever take a taxi in the capital Talinn.

Relax, the Russians will have enough on their plate as they have become involved in the Middle East conflict, so taking on Poland and Nato will not be high on the list of Putin’s chest thumping.

Ooo, geo politics. My favourite topic. Well after our appalling transfer window that is 🙂

Busy day in progress.

115. stevepalmer1 says:

I understand that you are Polish Eddie, so you know a lot more about them than i would. I feel that people get dragged into other countries problems, and the British are one of the worst for poking our noses into what is probably nothing to do with us.

We have taken in millions of migrants who have left their country for different reasons, Deep down i believe the British people do have big hearts, but we have a small Island. What i dont understand is that if people have problems which may endanger their lives why come to countries that hasn’t the room for them, when places like Australia have a million miles or so of uninhabited land that these people can live in peace.

They shove of in dingies that are not sea worthy with young children, and expect others to rehabilitate them, when they have no ties to the country they are heading for. Of course humanity should be there to help all people but there are a lot of places that has open country miles and miles of it but still they come to over crowded countries.

Many British people have worked for forty years and paid their taxes to make a country where their families can grow and feel safe, surely these people can and should fight for their rights and put the same principles in place in their countries.

No body has ever asked me if its ok to give our taxes to other countries, in the name of aid, I have paid my taxes for my own peoples benefit.They should do the same.

Poland’s Problems were in part a reason for WW2 a war started so that countries like Poland could live in peace. When the war was over Poles and everybody else was allowed to go back to the country of origin to start a rebuild, sadly many never returned. Many British lost their lives not because they felt it right, because they were told to fight, and they did, but the governments who ordered them to go, sat in safety and made sure they never fought.

What was achieved in a world war, I don’t really know but it certainly has not protected our country from overcrowding.

I’ll stick to transfer window talk, tactics and cats 🙂

Micky,

if you ever go to the Baltics. to discover what has happened to our transfer system there, you will see what living under Russian domination must have been like, with the old military bases and huge concrete blocks stuck willy nilly, hither and thither [go on – you know you can’t say ‘hither or thither’ without spraying everyone within a 5′ radius].

Estonia is a beautiful country somehow frozen in time about 50 years back – especially in the more rural areas.

I agree with your 10:07, Micky, except for the cats and the tactics, and ….. well I’m not that keen on the transfer window either.

Not that I am saying you are a boring old fart or anything like that. 😀

Chas,

Where did you get that picture of me — and why was I wearing glasses? I have 20 ; 20 vision ….. but they do show my eye colour rather nicely. 😀

thanks RA and steve 🙂
    no thanks to Didit and chas.

10.12 A split-image of my accountant. It is uncanny

Top dog pic

RA
    Your Baltic tale brings me back nicely to the fat hairy bikers 🙂

St Petersburg looks fabulous. Zenit are leading their group, so targeting 2nd spot has to be our priority 🙂

Agree with Eddie that we’re not going to win the cl, but progressing is vital for a quality away trip. One will do.

aniketsrivastava81

I’m the bollocks at tactics and shit if you need an expert in that field

Sorry Didit.

I binned him just as you wrote your job application

Oh, deleted. There goes my career

126. Good morning Anike, what’s a nice girl like you doing in a place like this?

127. stevepalmer1 says:

What is particularly interesting this season, is that the league is really for any team to win. We are in second place with seven games gone, far to early to predict victory, but we are through to the next round of Capital one, outing that small team down the road, we are meeting bigger opposition in Wednesday which will be more exciting.

So far we have beaten Chelsea to claim the Community Shield,, so first trophy up for grabs is in the cabinet. We had to start winning against what some call the bigger teams if we want to lay claim to the League. Chelsea of course cheated a win with the referee’s help, and United have had their backsides walloped, Leicester a side who was unbeaten up till they met us have had their spell stopped. So all in all Arsenal are in fine fettle.

An international break where supporters can savour our second place, then back into the race. Arsenal are in their customary position, top four, but are well placed and looking good.

The rest of the season looms, CL may look grim at the moment, but we are still in it so anything can happen, The Arsenal support have never looked happier, and hopefully Blatter’s suspension may just filter down the leagues and perhaps decisions will seem a little fairer. All in all, a good start.

Bingo. Post right there

Given Steve’s opening line
    “Up for grabs now” sounds like a title 🙂

130. RC78 says:

I like the title and would love to see it as a post :-p

Here is a first reply in case…

The EPL is the most open it has been in years at this stage of the season. You have a team that has been doing extremely well away – West Ham and has basically taken “secured” points away from big teams. You have a struggling champion (this will not last) and inconsistent performances from Manchester teams and Arsenal…All and all, it will come down to our ability to replicate our Man Utd and Tottenham performance WEEK IN WEEK OUT. If we do so, we shall be close to landing the holy grail…

Arsenal fixture changes for December due to TV scheduling.

Sunday 13 December, 2015
    1.30pm Aston Villa v Arsenal (Sky Sports) #AVLARS

Monday 21 December, 2015
    8pm Arsenal v Manchester City (Sky Sports) #ARSMCI

Saturday 26 December, 2015
    7.45pm Southampton v Arsenal (BT Sport) #SOUARS

Monday 28 December, 2015
    5.30pm Arsenal v AFC Bournemouth* #ARSBOU
    *following the movement of Southampton v Arsenal to 7.45pm on 26 December

To clarify – Bournemouth v Arsenal not on TV.

133. Prince says:

No migrants want to come to Oz… Wolf Creek scared the pants of em

Arsenal 3 Manchester United 0

I think this one is disappearing slightly quicker than it should.

Just remember where we were the week before: United top of the league, the media poised to go into overdrive about how they were back, normal service had returned, blah, blah, blah.

Nooooooooooooooooooo, wrong.

The Mighty Arsenal are back.

135. Red Arnie says:

oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! Such a fantastic post, Redders, but I had no time to contribute at all. 🙂

Having said that, at least, I have found the time to read the fantastic discussion. And I am a happy bunny. 🙂

136. Red Arnie says:

If I have to nitpick, though, and just because we like some disagreement.

“Buying the very best players possible for his team, and leaving others to worry about the cost of doing so, is an essential requirement which not only will make his vision for beautiful football at Arsenal more achievable, but also marry up his desires with those of the loyal fans who crave success and would give their unstinting support to this magnificent project if they could see this in action.”

(a) that is an awfully long paragraph to be also a sentence. 🙂

(b) if money could buy quality, we would not need Arsene and his binocular-wielding gang to scout for talent. look around the numpties that populate the EPL, we produce much better value for the money we spend. Not only in terms of financial value, but in terms of the football we play.

Most importantly, at least for me, we do it differently. And for me, at least, that is value in itself. Value in being different and in showing a finger to the numpties.

Arsene has done this brilliantly so far. Let us see how long this continues! COYG.

137. Red Arnie says:

On the question of the Cutch Dunt and The Dead, I absolutely hate them. Not because they moved from THOF, but because they ultimately moved to other teams in the EPL that I hate.

What about Sol then? Well, let the green-eyed gits from the swamps hate him. Not my concern. 🙂

138. Red Arnie says:

I would wish a pox in their house every day of the year, every year of the decade, and until the end of time. 🙂

139. Red Arnie says:

Aniket Srivastava is a man’s name. 😆

140. Red Arnie says:

Evonne. Good time to celebrate the Nobel Prize for Svetlana Alexievich. Down with war, down with war mongering! 🙂

Excellent Redders

Arsenes a legend. Probably the greatest man I don’t know or have never met.

I don’t think I would like to meet Arsene Redders? As I lose myself in the moment and express how my gratitude has transformed itself into an unwanted and confusing attraction, ime sure it would result in the unedifying sight of one man consumed by a zipper coat as the other pounds his cocooned victim, tie behind his back and one collar upturned

After this extravaganza goes viral, no doubt myself and Arsene would never feel the warm embrace of a women again.

I to like what 69 said about the moaners Redders. its very difficult to appreciate Arsenes Arsenal when you look in the mirror and desire to beat yourself to a pulp. The only thing that stops them beating themselves is fear that they would retaliate.

These Arsene haters are so confused that the arrival of a great result makes them question there existence, wondering weather they are really the disembodied essence of Historian David Starkey, thus driven to seek and then enter him.

Many would say Redders that “Surely these individuals are just Homosexuals, and that by entering Starkey they would fulfil there need to shag Henry the Eighth”, but I beg to differ. Rather they are lost, confused, and by entering Starkey would find contentment in the knowledge that Charles the First had problems getting it up too.

Of course, Starkey would not mind. To him an Arsene hater entering him would only enhance and expand his knowledge of The Battle of the Bulge. Which by all accounts, he quite enjoys.

142. Red Arnie says:

Terry. 🙂

And yes, forgot to complement NorthBank on the fantastic comment. 🙂

Chas 4.56 Really LOL. Cruel but very funny.

The DB10 vid is magic

Chas,

I don’t think Raddish realises that you were hoisting him on a cat flap at 4:57. :D!

—‘My cat is sad because my other cat claims to be a hippy but is really just very lazy & not very good at having baths

Terry, you is mad! 😀

RA. A daily Gong bath with the female members of the coven is an essential element of co-operative living. As a man of your considerable knowledge (and height) should know.

153. Both Blatter and Platini banned for three months.

154. stevepalmer1 says:

90 day suspensions for Platini and Blatter
    both have been under investigation for quite some time now,
    I would assume it must be for the payout from Blatter to Platini of over a million, Which coincided with the election for FIFA’s President, where Platini had put his name up to stand against Blatter. It appeared that as the payment was paid for work Platini had done 8 years previously, Platint coincidently removed his Name from the election.

Terrible day for football chas. Platini forced to share a cell with the virilent Blatter, and Messi involved in the same Tax Avoidance scheme as Keith Cheqwin.

For a small fee, I would be more than glad to represent Messi. i usually get clients off the tax bill by feigning a heart attack or stalking the Inspector

No way am I acting for Blatter though. Platini would look much better with a bra and nail varnish than me.

156. Well that seems to be the end of Platini’s chance of taking the top
    Job.

Greg Dyke, the head of the FA is left with egg on his face over his support for Platini. He should stand down immediately.

Platini will be taken over the top and give the odd job alright Norfolk.

I have no sympathy

Come on Scotland. Give Lewandoski an injury which will keep him out until Xmas.

And if the Irish could crock Gotze, Muller etc it would be a bonus

159. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha, Evonne. tra la la la la la! 🙂

160. Red Arnie says:

Greg Dyke always had egg on his face. The English FA is a joke at the international level.

161. Red Arnie says:

what the heck! bloody nincompoof! thats me. 🙂

162. Red Arnie says:

Northern Ireland, ha ha ha!

Well for those who like tactical bollacks, Chas’ 6.01 is as good as it gets.

A truly brilliant insight into Walcott and (without intention I suspect), Giroud.

The only thing I would add is that I think that Walcott’s new found desire to track back with earnest has more to do with Sanchez’s intense work ethic acting in such a way that it shames the others into working harder than they would have normally done.

I wish I could write shorter sentences.

164. Red Arnie says:

Ireland proper. ha ha ha. 🙂

165. Red Arnie says:

succer punch. 😦

166. Red Arnie says:

Interesting, LB. When I first came to Britain, I was told that Indian English is nice, but sentences are too long. I was encouraged to consciously address this issue. 🙂

Of course, on AA, I am much more relaxed. Free to write whatever bolleaux comes to my mind. Or for that matter, to any other part of my physiology. 🙂

167. Red Arnie says:

I mean anatomy. Anyway, you know what I mean! Arse. 🙂

Friday

Trying to think of something to seethe about, but looking out of the window at the sun shimmering off the mist makes it hard

169. Red Arnie says:

Motning Micky, motning all.

Seething? The useless international break. Just when we were starting to gell as a team, the ood guys are separated out ti try and play with other people. Bloody mental!

170. Red Arnie says:

sorry, my eyes seem to be going pretty fast. ageing gracefully? my foot!

171. Red Arnie says:

to top it all, no time to come on to AA. And this is going to reduce fast. By the new year, it may be almost zero. Bloody admin. what a disaster!

172. Red Arnie says:

why do England have to play the stone-age-men? They dont even have a proper language! what a joke!

LB,

It’s always tricky to comment on other people’s typing, but can I say that your comment on Theo was again something I can agree with, and the purpose of sentences is to communicate — and yours did — neither too long, nor too short, but just right.

That sounds a bit like ‘Goldilocks and the three bears’ – so I better leave it there. 🙂

174. Red Arnie says:

OK, that was relaxing. need a motning cuppa now. 🙂

175. Red Arnie says:

Redders. 🙂

176. Red Arnie says:

no, I dont agree, mainly becauise disagreement is more fun. can we agree to disagree please. 🙂

Too much agreement in tis space! on Wenger, on Theo, on Giro, on Ospina. come on, give it a break!

This is already turning out to be a good rant day. 🙂

Raddy – did you watch any of the ‘meaningless friendlies’ last night? Wow,, there was some great footy! Poland equalised in the last minute at extra time in Scottland, Paddies beat Germany and NI are through!

Arnie,

The British have a way of being very polite to people they like, and sometimes say something that is not quite what it seems, just to get a point across without causing offence. 🙂

You said, “When I first came to Britain, I was told that Indian English is nice, but sentences are too long. I was encouraged to consciously address this issue.

Could that be construed as a hint to stop talking?

I get it all the time. 😀

Know what you mean Micky….very difficult to get excited about much this week, especially with the interlull in full swing.

Could be a little miffed at the actions at FIFA, but can’t really get too uppity as we’ve known since Russia and Qatar won their respective bids that there has been a problem at FIFA, watching that bidding process the English and Australian bids seemed to be the leaders an Australian World Cup would have presented game time problems like Japan did for European audiences but the long and short was it would have been played in their winter so from climate point of view would have been perfect and it is as much in need of furthering the game as Qatar.

And then there is Klopps appointment at Liverpool, clearly Liverpool acted as soon as possible before other opportunities arose for Klopp and other big vacancies became available, it is going to be interesting to see how he utilises some of his players and whether he continues the high press in the Premier League, most teams are happy to ply on the counter especially away, so the press will have to be fully cohesive to work and that doesn’t happen overnight it takes years of work. Also the press normally leads to the team tiring around the 70-75 minute mark, and unlike the rest of European football teams very rarely accept their fate in the PL, so a 2-0 lead is not safe especially if your players are blowing out their proverbial.

Here’s to the Irish ha ha

181. Red Arnie says:

well, Redders, not the British. let us be more specific: the English. Of course there are exceptions, and exceptions as we know prove the rule.

Now they may have meant so, but who the fook cares? That would never restrict my exercise of freedom of speech, Even if all that comes out of the pen, the mouth, the arse and every other place imaginable is pure and utter bolleaux! 🙂

Eddie, I spent the whole of the ROI game hoping Ozil wouldn’t be injured. The standard of football of both ROI and Scotland was Championship at best (fine goals though).

If Theo gets crocked tonight or Ramsey etc will you still think a trip to the Euro’s is worth it?

Hope Sanchez who is with the Chile side in Brazil and Argentina returns unscathed (he scored last night in a 2-0 victory over Brazil).

GiE – Henry sacked Rogers because Klopp was available. Klopp’s Borussia was a good team, won the league twice. Other than that…who knows?

nb – silly parrot, better than cats

Raddy – of course! These games are very important to the nations. did you see how the Irish, both ROI and NI were celebrating??!!

Those are much more meaningful than any league – the players get peanuts yet they fight on the pitch for their country, very romantic

Plus, injuries can happen to all international players and as it happens Aguerro is injured, there, are you happy now?

185. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all,
    Watching the news this morning and hearing over and over of Platini and Blatters 90 day suspension, and still not explained why they have been suspended. Surely they have to give a reason or explain the charges these people are accused of.

I understand that both these men, are being accused of corruption, but i still feel that reasons should be announced before these people should start suspension, Have i missed out, and missed the charges, can anybody shed a little light.

Umm, Eddie,

Someone was on here impersonating you yesterday — apparently they ‘phoned your mum and told her that she wanted Lewandowski to break his legs playing for Poland. Very patriotic – Not!

Of course, here, this morning, is the ‘real’ you delighting in Lewandowski scoring a last second goal for Poland and knocking Scotland out.

Confused? Moi? Never. 🙂

187. Peaches / Rasp

I’ve sent a Friday Rant to NUTS. 🙂

Thanks NB, I’ll publish in a mo 🙂

NB, there’s nothing in nuts?

190. Red Arnie says:

undeserved win as well, adds a grumpy Arnie. 😦

191. Red Arnie says:

sorry, undeserved last second goal is what I meant. 😛

Steve,

I am not sure what you missed or did not miss, but taking it away from football, if any business man of a large organisation or a senior politician, or an academic was charged with a criminal act, it is normal to expect them to voluntarily stand down from their posts until the matter was resolved.

In any event, the FIFA people concerned are not being suspended by the judiciary, but by their own organisation because of the serious criminal charges brought against them. How can they be left in charge of the finances of a huge organisation like FIFA and expect to carry on as if nothing has happened.

In the case of Bladder and Platini they are being investigated by the Swiss police for a ‘disloyal’ (illegal) payment of £1m made to Platini and authorised by Bladder 9 years after he allegedly carried out some ‘consultancy’ work for FIFA.

Are you really concerned what the hell the niceties of the legal process is when the multi-millionaire parties involved have multi-millionaire lawyers coming out of their asses, as Arnie might say, and representing them?

Still they will be pleased you are worried for them. 🙂

I think Nuts rejected your rant Norther, on the grounds there are enough nuts on here already. 🙂 Especially Rasper. 🙂

194. I sent it to the Arsenalnuts e mail? I’ll try again but if not I’ll post it here to be copied and pasted.

Its still not showing in arsenalnuts@live.co.uk ?

196. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning RA thanks for your answer, Lets not mess about mate, I have no worries about those two. Only i had not seen or heard what they were accused of. I did comment yesterday on what i imagined it was but wasn’t sure if it was that or something else the authorities had found.

197. Well that’s why Raso, I sent it to the aol e mail in the contacts. It’s coming…

198. Morning all,

I’m sure we can have every confidence in FIFA’s Ethics Committee. But wait a minute, they’ve just appointed Issa Hayatou as acting president, a man who was disciplined over bribery allegations by the International Olympic Committee in 2011.

Plus ca change and all that.

RA – to add to your confusion I will tell you in secret that I was very pleased when the Scotts scored last night 🙂 They deserved a goal and I was delighted for them. I was told off by a Paddie who thought it was disgusting I celebrated a goal against my own country. He is very patriotic and watched Eire with huge pride, still singing this morning 🙂

I am not very patriotic, I don’t know Polish team except for 3-4 players, but I think that internationals are hugely important to the nations. Majority of people love footy, but are not club supporters. And as I said before they carry much more meaning that the money spinning league (what’s the plural?)

New post everyone ……. 🙂