History tells us the Transfer Window wasn’t the end of the world for Gooners

Firstly let’s start at the beginning

We are The Arsenal, we have always done things a bit differently. In Arsene Wenger we have a manager also cut from a different cloth.

Season after season we have been told we haven’t done enough to progress in terms of transfers and that others around us have strengthened and will overtake us, yet year on year we have proved the doubters wrong.

Last season after a horrific start to the campaign we went on a run where we were the best team in the league in the second half of the season, and despite that not being enough to make up for the poor start and challenge for the League we still managed to hoist ourselves into 3rd place when at one point we were looking likely to drop way out of the top 4.

Injuries were unkind to us last season. In the summer it has now been much published that we only added Cech and apparently no outfield players, that’s a great headline but ignores Adelaide and his mate who joined. I know they are not going to be starters but if the tabloids are going to run these headlines at least let it be fact.

So after the Window closed various questions have been asked…was this the worst summer ever for Arsenal fans, well for me the summer we brought in Silvestre and Bischoff may have been worse.

The perceived wisdom is we had to buy players to kick on again this season. I wanted to see whether history told us anything different. To be honest I was surprised at what I found.

Arsene’s league successes came in 97/98, 01/02 and 03/04. Our signings in those seasons were as follows:

97/98

Wreh, Grondin

01/02

Toure, Tavliaridis, Wright (R), Campbell, Van Bronkhirst

03/04

Van Persie, Reyes, Djourou, Lehman, Senderos, Fabregas

Safe to say only Campbell and Lehman really affected the side in the seasons they arrived, the other major players in those successes had arrived earlier and won nothing for a couple of seasons, Bergkamp and Platt in 95/96, Petit, Overmars, Vieira and Anelka in 96/97, Ljungberg in 98/99, Henry and Lauren in 99/00 and Pires and Wiltord in 00/01.

See how those players that were key arrived in earlier seasons? Well think Alexis, Ozil, Welbeck etc, and then look at Cech as the missing piece.

There’s your positive, now go on and support them and try to hold on to a smidge of belief at least until Christmas.

Written by Gooner in Exile

156 Responses to History tells us the Transfer Window wasn’t the end of the world for Gooners

Cheers, GIE.

The worst transfer window in my memory was when we only bought a goalkeeper and not one outfield player.
    At the end of the 2002/3 season we only bought Lehmann and were a shambles the season after.

Or maybe I should learn to read.

3. RC78 says:

GiE – good point indeed

The only difference is that now the competition in the EPL is much fiercer and other clubs can attract great players as well…

But in the end, our squad is talented and hopefully, we can win the EPL and the CL and we will support them in that respect but one has to admit that it will be a massive achievement to win either of those titles given the competition…

4. Red Arnie says:

Back to the post in a bit. But before that, some unfinished business.

Red Arnie says:
    September 2, 2015 at 9:34 am

Chas and GiE. Yes, a guaranteed 30-goal-a-striker, please. 🙂

Redders. Who on here is capable of managing Arsenal? Not me! 🙂

Seriously though, I respect the view that we want a different kind of striker, a more direct and fast striker, because of the attractive style of play he would bring. Micky says this all the time, and Norfolk, Redders, et al. Please then say this and not that we want a different striker because the one we have (Giro, Theo, Welbz, Campbell) are all numpties! FFS. 🙂

NJS. Some great comments, well done Sir/Madam. The Benzema rumour. Hmmm. Me thinks it might have have been propagated by teh club to deflect attention from some other deal they were trying to do. When that deal fell through, the numpty journos continued ith this because they could find nothing else from the Arsenal thinktank.

Arsenal does this every year.

Nope, just looked it up.
    In effect Lehmann was the only signing in summer 2003.
    BSR – end of 2003/04
    Reyes – January 2004
    Djourou, Senderos and Fabregas – all too young to play in the 03/04 season.

Thanks GIE. A bit tight for time so a quick comment now and will try more later.

Excellent use of historical facts to back your argument. I would have liked 1-2 more players in key positions but would they win us the league? Can we win the league without them?

It is difficult to answer both those questions. Who can know for sure. I still feel the answer to the second is yes and for me I still feel our biggest issue is not about player recruitment but about how we use the players we have to get the most balanced set-up. This is where I feel we have dropped the points this season already, not because we didn’t have player x or player z.

Will talk more about individual players later. Au revoir for now.

7. Malaysian gunner says:

History tells us panic buys aint good as 2011.After the 8-2 rout,the fm acted.He is too arrogant to be manager of Arsenal.
    If Arsenal can’t challenge due to his pattern weaving soccer,he shd not waste the fans time.
    Btw,you seldom find atop team conceding 8 goals .If he had flooded the md,things could and would have been different.
    Make no mistake.He is atime bomb.

8. RC78 says:

GB – agreed on the balanced set-up 🙂

I really think that Arteta should replace Cazorla if we want to keep both Ramsey and Ozil in the squad…

9. steve unwin says:

going on how we have been hitting the back of the net, we will do just fine same shit different day.what sort of club is this?its one that can not score goals.

Well, GIE, your Post delivered the promised upbeat approach and thank you for that. 🙂

I was never bothered about Cavani or Benzema and neither did I believe that Arsene would sell either or both of Theo or Giro.
    It would have made some more sense if we had not sent Akpom out on loan – but we are where we are.

I am much more uptight about not getting in a DM to shore up the defensive aspect of the team as Le Coq is only a sending off or an injury away from causing serious problems, as for all his skills Arteta should have been pensioned off, and Flambo is just not good enough and anyway is at the end of his career.

The lack of attention to the DM position is made more curious, to me, as there have been a number of classy DM’s around, including Kondogbia, Gonalons etc but Arsene is obviously happy that if push comes to shove the accredited midfielders and also Chambers will cope well.

See – you have made me more upbeat, GIE, and I never once mentioned that you might have been clutching at straws. 😀

11. Thanks for the post Exile, but I’m afraid it won’t clear the doom and gloom brought about by the club’s action, or lack of it, in the transfer window.

By the looks of the comments so far, yesterday’s arguments are going to be re-hashed ad nauseum at least until after the international break. In which case I’ll opt out until Big Raddy’s next pre-match.

Toodle-oo.

Thanks GiE, an excellent antidote to the TDD blues 🙂

It’s done now, we have a good squad – we will know just how good come next May. As always, we can only get behind the team and enjoy the football.

13. Ogban says:

Sorry but I can’t see us doing any better with this group of players. It’s going to be same old. The injuries are still there. The consistent inconsistency is still there. Yes we did well in the second half of last season. But that’s because our season was virtually over then as far as PL and CL were concerned. History is of very little assistance here

Rasp
    From yesterday’s post….

I think that if the Club came out and said they’d seriously been in for Benzema, then the nay-sayers would say that Wenger was too tight to pay the asking price.

No amount of transparency will convince those who think they could run the Club better than the current board plus manger.

Also
    RC78
    Do you really think Schneiderlin would turn down an extra 20-30k a week to come to Arsenal?
    Of course he wouldn’t.

I’m not really sure what NG expects us to talk about. 🙂

16. RC78 says:

Chas – I am sure that we would have been able to offer at least the same wage to Schnederlin

Fluffy pussycats Chas. You know it, and I know it. It’s simply a question of time 🙂

Exile
    Thank you for trying to lift the spirits. I happen to think we’ll cruise 2nd spot in the League, but crash out of the CL by last 8. However, as always, what I want most is entertaining football and goals, so fingers crossed.

RC, bonjour.
    I really think Wanyama was the one we needed most from Southampton. I have a feeling that Schneiderlin looked a better player as a result of having W. do the work. Still, aqua sous le pont and all that 🙂

19. Bryan says:

Just thought I’d come & say my piece 😉

I’ve never been the biggest fan of what Merson say but if anyone saw Paul Merson on Sky sports talking last night he was spot on, 100%.
    He said that he felt sorry for the Arsenal fans paying massive prices for their season tickets & that they had been cheated, that is how I feel.

Also for the first time ever I could not agree more with that pain in the ass Piers Morgan on talkshite this morning he was also right.

I will of course get a barracking on here for writing this but that is what I believe

RC78
    Absolutely no chance

21. Shard says:

Thanks gie. The fact is that the part about players already at the club can improve is often overlooked but is true for all clubs. When clubs overlook this fact, they often suffer. It is why spurs and liverpool haven’t been able to overtake us (as a general rule) despite massively outspending us.

A new signing can help add a new dimension and verve, but it needs to be the right signing, which for us is going to be harder and harder to find.

Last year wenger was being villified for passing up the chance to buy balotelli as our star striker. City paid 30m for bony. ManU spent something like 20m on a season long loan for falcao, and now this is who chelsea bought. ManU again paid top dollar for a not so top player. Where are these mythical world class strikers? Is benteke it? Falcao? Maybe pedro would have been good but all the barca players seem to have a secret love for mourinho now, or at least for chelsea’s millions. But even if we’d bought pedro we’d be told he’s not a striker. I can only think of benzema, reus and griezmann as players who would improve our attack in terms of overall quality. None of them moved. Why buy a 21 year old, injury prone draxler for 30m when you have ox, gnabry, campbell and jeff all around the same age or younger who are potentially as good?

The transfer window has been made into its own competition, and winners and losers are decided by the media labels of world class and price tags, rather than by actual quality and needs. I was happy with our squad before, I’m happy with it now. New signingor not, we have to step up our game anyway. I believe this will happen.

GIE. Thank you for a different perspective on the TW.

Bryan. Given that AA’ers seem to be split 50/50 between those (myself included) who are very disappointed at a lost opportunity and those whose have belief in the squad, why are you expecting a barracking?

I thought yesterdays debate was very interesting.

23. If you believe it Bryan… who’s to argue with you. 🙂

24. Hey Exile… you and I are doing well in the Arsenal Arsenal Fantasy Premier League… 1st and 2nd… and I slowly catching up to you ha ha

25. Big R

I’m 50/50 at the moment… I’m disappointed at lost opportunities but alternatively, I think we have the squad to do well. oh well, perhaps I need a glass of wine 🙂

26. Shard says:

Also, i’m delighted by the players we have out on loan. Hayden and akpom at hull. Toral at birmingham. Wellington at bolton. Martinez at wolves. Szczesny at roma. He player with the hyphenated name which i can’t remember at ipswich, zelalem at rangers. Anyone i’m forgetting? Oh gnabry at west brom. And where did sanogo end up?

Obviously not all of them will make it, but whenthe likes of rosicky, arteta, flamini, and even per depart, we’ll have the option of perhaps not needing to reolace them through the transfer market. Which again will be taken to mean we’ve lost the season before it begins, but so be it.

27. Bryan says:

Big Raddy
    Although people on here had admitted there disappointment in no signings, it pretty much felt like I was the one going against the grain.

If no one heard the Piers Morgan interview on talkshite its certainly worth a listen (just google it) & as I said for at least the first half of what he says, I couldn’t agree more.

It was interesting if you weren’t so fed up I guess 😉

28. Chas

A video of a Fluffy Pussy would have been better 😀

29. RC78 says:

Wanayama was also a good option but Southampton was to let either Wanya or Schned go so one Schned was gone…

MDD – on y danse on y danse

30. Sous le pont d’avignon….

31. Shard says:

Malaysian gunner

Firstly that 8-2 was a skewed result. It was 3-1 and rvp had missed a penalty, when wenger decided to not settle for a loss and withdrew coquelin to try and get back. ManU then scored with virtually every kick from every angle. It was not an accurate result, horrifying as it was.

Secondly, but more to the point, something else had hapoened 3 days before we olayed at manU. We’d scraped past udinese and secured cl football, guaranteeing us inceased funds and player interest. It was this rather than the 8-2 which led to us buying pkayers like arteta and per who would also not offer us any resale value (at the time, a big step forward for us and our finances)

32. Shard says:

Peaches/rasp

GoonerB sent a mail yesterday to be forwrded to me. Could you please check the inbox and pass it on to me. Thank you.

33. Bryan says:

Another viewpoint that I may add that worries me,
    lets say we don’t qualify for CL at the end of the season,
    2 major problems spring up:
    1. Will some of our top players want to leave
    2. Will we be able to buy the top players if we have not qualified
    (that’s of course if AW actually wants to spend some money)

& on another note, the next game at home against Stoke has now become a massive game for AW I think, because if we don’t get a result or if at anytime it is not going our way, guaranteed there will be a large enough proportion of the crowd making some noises.
    It will now be more people than before that have lost faith
    as I am now one of them but personally will never lower to that, I have the utmost respect for him still & will always for what he has done for this club.

34. Shard says:

Piers Morgan. That’s big M(outh), small organ.

35. The Cockie Monster says:

Thanks GIE !

I`m not disappointed because you cant disappoint someone who expected no more signings !.
    The writing was on the wall and all you had to do was listen to what Arsene was saying !…..” We will only buy players that can improve on what we already have and exceptional players if they are available “. Only one exceptional player was available imo and that was Sterling !. Now we listen to Arsene again when he say`s we cannot compete with Mansour City !……………so Sterling was a no goer and of course Arsene said he had plenty of players in that position anyway !.
    So instead a better way for the rest of you to get over your TDD Blues !…………………………..Firstly, lets laugh at Totnumb and secondly lets again laugh at Totnumb ! etc` etc` etc` etc` etc`……..and One Hundredly , let`s look at the league table !…………….the Spuds currently sit only 1 point above the relegation zone, so if they still have a chance of being relegated then why cant we have a chance of finishing second !.
    For those of the glass half empty brigade…………..We are currently 5 points above the relegation zone !

And the Half Fullers………………………We are currently 5 points off of 1st place !.

A bit like a semi !……………have you got half a full boner or half way to erectile dysfunction ?……………………….I`m immune to this as I have just looked at where the Spuds are in the table !.

Sur le pont d’Avignon – Bryan puis sauté dans la rivière. 🙂

Arnie,

Sorry I missed your comment earlier – I am glad we are in agreement that you should never become the Arsenal manager. 😉 Me too! 😀

As to others on here, I would not mind;

Exile being manager – as he is qualified on the technical bollix.
    Micky being manager – he is non-technical but we would go down with all eleven strikers blazing.
    Norther being manager — he is always wined up, and we would be the first club to have scantily clad women in the first team — and we would win everything after an orgiastic melee during each game.
    GoonerB being manager — he speaks such gobbledygook that he could win any verbal confrontation against Pulis – worth hearing.
    Kelsey being manager – his Mystic Meg forecasts of a win every game would have the lads wetting themselves laughing – so at least they would lose in a good mood.
    Terry and Cockie being joint managers – they would be hopeless – but at least they would wind up the opposition with their drag act.

So many!! 🙂

Thanks GIE a nice upbeat post to start off the start of the non-transfer period – and thank goodness for that – it’s finally over and done with until January. Personally I preferred it when clubs could but and sell players at anytime as things always appeared calmer and there were always surprises – both pleasant and unpleasant.

The frenzy created by the media drives me crazy as the fans believe every word spread by them and then hold their clubs responsible when the media touted transfers fail to materialize.
    It’s just mental, are people mindless?

Now I keep very close tabs on what Arsene is saying and I never once heard him mention the name of any single player in whom he was interested. So in the absence of anything factual the media fabricate whole story’s surrounding our needs and how to solve them – and the merry go round starts – and goes on and on and on.

Finally it’s over – except for the endless self satisfying postmortems by every Arsenal “expert”

Thanks GiE, excellent post as usual. You made me laugh yesterday with the accounting tirade and selfconfession that you promised yourself not to talk balance sheets 😁😁

I agree that buying just for the sake of it makes no sense and buying doesn’t guarantee trophies. But. Almost all of us agree that we need strikers and without a proven goalscorer we have no chance to win a major trophy.

What I would like to know is what has actually happened? Did wenger say we don’t need to buy? Or did we fail to buy our target? Why did we fail? If wenger didn’t want to strengthen the squad then he needs to go. If we failed to buy targets because of £5 – 10 mil then I want heads, otherwise I have to accept that it was not possible to buy

40. Excellent post.spot on.

Blimey!! 🙂

GN5 @ 12:27

Eddie @ 12:35

To more diverse comments would be difficult to imagine!

The lifeblood of blogging. 😀

Chas @ 12:45

I chuckled at the caricature of Van Gaal, as a Hitler clone, but that it appeared on the cover of a German magazine amazed me — unless it was photoshopped?

It’s the clip on the bungee strap, RA.

Doh,

Just realised it was the restraining band that made the ‘mustache’ appear. Staged? If so – well done the photographer. 🙂

Snap, Chas – bit like the strap. 🙂

Nice GIE. I agree with your sentiments.

In my opinion the club tried to get some top quality but could not pull it off. Weve gone up a level and our now in the market for the best not the average. This makes it harder.

Apparently Chelsea settled for 2nd choices, Utd were forced to spend big on an unproven kid, and the mighty Liverpool bought Milner and Benteke. Panic buying?

Who has come into the premier league this summer that is of world class quality that would walk into our team? Sterling and Chec moved from within. Pedro is class and maybe that De Bryune geezer? and City and Chelsea have the richest owners in world football.

Malaysian, your not an Arsenal fan mate. Take your disrespectful views on Arsene Wenger and stick them up you arse.

RA – please note that NG5 is completely wrong 😆

48. jamiestunner says:

Terry, I have to disagree with you on that.

I feel we needed a second top DM. I’d say Kondogbia or Schneiderling(both moved this window) would ease Coq’s burden as he’s the only player that can be trusted in that defensive midfielder role.

In terms of a top class striker, it may not seem sensible to pay over the odds for an up and coming striker like Dybala or Vietto, or even proven ones like Benz or Cavani, but you have to consider that it will only get worse as more and more money comes into football. The average value of a player may increase by another 5-10 million next summer and that makes waiting another year a bad idea.

At the end of the day, the hardest squad to improve is a championship squad. We finished 12 points behind the champions last year, do we really think internal improvements and Cech can gain us those points? Are we ignoring our past injury problems and not making sure?

I feel we have top 4 in the bag because both United and Pool will take a lot of time to gel (they may never manage to do so) and their managers are frankly not that good. Only City and Chelsea can really challenge us for the title, and without necessary additions, we might not make the grade

Eddie, 🙂

Terry, 🙂

Who an I to argue with Eddie? (But she is sadly mistaken)

51. RC78 says:

In any case – we have what we have now and let us support our team to the fullest and hope for an EPL and/or a CL victory this season!

As mentioned by a few, we need to get the team balance right and if you look at clear-cut chances missed this year, we have had quite a few and Sanchez missed three and he will get sharper in the upcoming weeks…Giroud missed 2 and so did Theo and I am sure that they will get to a better goal-to-chance ratio soon although it won’t be stellar…Now I am expecting goals from Ox and Ramsey and Ozil as well so again, I am quite sure that having Arteta in the team ahead of Cazorla will allow these players to roam forward more freely and give us more control of the tempo in midfield…that said, we could also keep Cazorla in the team and move Ozil or Ox out…

52. jamiestunner says:

BTW, I haven’t posted on here in more than a year… I was regular, and even wrote a few posts about two years ago as Jämie

Stunner – and you reckon there will be no injuries this season? Ha ha ha

Hi Jamie, welcome back 🙂

Afternoon all, glad the atmosphere has calmed somewhat, Eddie I think we have two proven goal scorers up top, and plenty in midfield, what we need is for the all to be on form at the right time. Currently they’re not 😦

After the first 4 games of 2001/2 our record was –

W2,D1,L1,GF10.GA3,Pts7

After the first 4 games of 2015/16 our record is

W2,D1,L1,GF3.GA3,Pts7

Just saying…………………..

Oh, and we went on the win the League in 2001/2….

Hi jamie, good to see you back.

Actually, I agree with you about another holding midfielder. Arteta and Flamini are probably past there best. I just forgot and was focusing on super quality.

i dont agree with the other stuff though. hahaha. Of course we can win the league. In fact I think we will.

59. jamiestunner says:

Thanks Rasp, glad to be back.
    Eddie,

No, I’m saying we will likely have injuries, and so we need better options. Say if Coq had an injury (or red card) during the Stoke game, with the games coming up, would you trust Arleta and Flamini to be adequate cover? In most other positions we have good backup options, but as a defensive minded midfielder, we only have Coq!

60. jamiestunner says:

Terry, I have problems agreeing with myself too lol.

On a more serious note, I think a title winning team doesn’t have to be 25 world class players…. the closest team to that on the planet is Bayern (Maybe Barca too). I look at us now and I see the following played that are top 3-5 in their position in the EPL:
    Özil
    Santi (as a CAM)
    Ramsey (as a CM)
    Kos
    Nacho
    Cech
    Sanchez
    Coq.

I think that we probably need one or two more players of such quality as the above, and adequate back up (preferably young players looking to step up)… There was no reason not to strengthen (theoretically at least) unless we’re happy with our league position and UCL performance from last season( I’m not ), and wish for the same this year!

61. jamiestunner says:

And my biggest issue with us sitting on so much money is the fact that player values increase every year. Take Sterling and send him back in time to 5 years ago, and he would probably be sold for 15-25 million. KDB would go for maybe 20million. 50 million this year would buy you less quality of players in 2 years time than it would now. Whatever interest we’re making on that money would probably be less than the level of devaluation… so that money just sitting there is as pointless as spending it on non-world-class players… at least they will still contribute to our final league position. All that money won’t!

62. Shard says:

Gn5

We also had gold away kits that season 🙂

Shard/Terry

The ghosts of the early 2000’s must be rising??

Where are our extra goals coming from? Theo and Wellbeck free on injuries? Big maybe.

Great image Chas – 103.6 million spent 7 new toys and they ended up 5th in the league 23 points behind the champions. The big question is – what happened to all of the euphoria we heard from the ecstatic Spurs fans at the beginning of the season and where are those players today?

I’m just glad we have AW in charge to ensure that we don’t become another club that buys for the sake of buying.

Eddie last season we scored 71 goals and the champions scored 73 – why do we need to score more goals?

You cannot determine the needs for a season after the results of only 4 games.

Nice one chas. Buying for buying sake leads to a Soildildo.

True GN5. In 2002 when Malaysian discovered Arsenal he spent his whole time winding up Beijing Red that Welsh man Alec Ferguson could only manage sheep and that Lord Wenger was superior because he was a descendent of King Louis 14th of Portugal.

Now Arsenal are no longer winning titles he takes abuse from Hong Kong Blue, who delights to goad him with Roberto Mancinis purchase of Kevin De Sterling.

GN5 – because 75> 73 🙂

Eddie Man C scored the most goals last season at 83 and finished 2nd – 8 points behind Chelsea – so it’s not all about scoring goals.

That told em!!!

72. jamiestunner says:

Chas/GN5,

I’m still saying, we only needed proper backup for Coq, I think we can live without a striker, but if Coq ever goes limp (bad pun, sorry) then we’re truly f*cked (another one… my bad). Are you honestly suggesting that there’s no player on the planet that can do what Coq does better than Arleta and Flamini? or are we just ignoring what Wenger chose to ignore?

Hi again Jamie, you’re not alone in questioning the reasoning behind some of our transfer activity.

I’d like to know who thought it was a good idea to offer £40m +1 for Suarez? I know we were testing the buy-out clause, but what message did that send to Suarez? It also made us look a bit of a laughing stock in the media.

He was on fire at the time. Had we made a sensible offer we may well have won the league the following season with Suarez in the side.

Having said that, he was probably always going to Barca – I just think the £40m + 1 was a bit limp 😦

74. Bryan says:

Arteta isn’t even a DM, I’ve never understood that one & Flamini, is the one player we needed to sell 😉
    Was quite a few DM’s floating around I thought, that could of been great signings, sometimes to pair with Le Coq.

Wish I could attach a picture, I’ve got a better version of what Wenger said lol

jamie, We can dialogue it until the next transfer window but nothing can change until then, so I’ve moved on from “what If’s’ to the reality of our squad. For the last half of 2014/15 we were the best team in the EPL and we now have Cech as our back stop which can only be an improvement.

Four games does not make a season.

If AW has Coq’d up so be it…………..

76. jamiestunner says:

GN5, fair enough. I still think that being a job, there should be questions about what he’s doing, and his superiors shouldn’t be saying one thing and he’s doing another. I do agree with you that what’s done is done, and we can only really criticize or praise him with full assurance after the season has ended. For once we had massive amounts of money, and if Wenger thinks our squad is good enough to win the league, then he should be judged on whether we actually win it or not. If we come close second and only 3 or so points behind, then I’ll agree with him, but if this season goes anything like the last, then I’ll have lost all belief in Arsene

77. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all, Nice one Exile,
    Of course i don’t like the news that we have not brought in the players we all felt were needed, and of course i cant blame you for reporting the fact, but i can thank you for putting your self out to tell us.

I like the way you told us as well,, not that most Gooners were not strapped to the tele hoping and praying, but you have delivered a good post.

One of the good things about this window, is that we have worked out some of the deadwood, although not a nice thing to say about ex Arsenal players but gone are Podolski Abou Diaby Ryo Myaichi George Dobson who ever he is Josh Vickers, Which must save us a bit of cash, Apparently we got !.8 mill for Poldi and a couple of undisclosed fee’s for some of the others. I liked Poldi i must admit, he had a wicked shot that i was hoping to see again, but the guvner had different plans.

A few have been loaned out, whether that is to let them gain experience or a springboard out the door only Mr Wenger will know, so we have what we have, and speaking the truth not a bad outfit at all. Get our scoring in place and we are a match for anybody. Yes we may have problems along the way with injuries but when haven’t we, We got through those times many times before and we’ll do it again if we have to.

I have to say that our first four games haven’t knocked my socks off, but i have seen how this team can perform, and if i am honest, i see us challenging, We have been up there with the leaders for some time now, and i don’t see that changing, City at this stage of the season would look favourites to most, but they haven’t come across us yet so who knows.

We have a good squad, in fact i would say we are better than good, slow starters but we will claw back, and at some stage in the season, we will lead the table, whether we finish leaders is down to our luck with injuries, but that being ok i don’t see why this could not be the season.

Of course we are disappointed that Arsene hasn’t added players after all we love new players at any time, we have players who have been patient to start games and had we brought in players their chances may have seemed like a pipe dream, Our forwards are probably rubbing their hands together, but they will also have to get back the form they have shown in the past or they could be next transfers Podolski . I am still upbeat, our form will kick in and then i expect a very long ride, hopefully to glory

78. Shard says:

You just have to laugh at the media reports of fans calling wenger ‘arrogant’. Irony laughed an ironic laugh at that one. People with no knowledge of how transfers work, how player scouting and evaluations are done, how tactics and teams are forged, labelling wenger arrogant for not doing what they wanted.

For the record, I wanted us to buy a striker, and maybe a midfielder (i think arteta is a good option. Certainly no worse than schweinsteiger)

But i don’t believe the transfer market revolves around my desires, nor that the maxim of arsenal being a big club means we’ll be able to get the players we want.

Looking away from the transfer game of thrones, I’m still happy with our squad and believe we are in the title fight. At this stage, you can’t ask for more than that.

79. RC78 says:

To know if a team has a chance to win the League,

A) You look at its spine first:

Cech – Kos, BFG – Coq, Santi – Giroud

vs

Hart – Kompany, Otamendi – Fernandinho, Toure – Aguero
    Courtois – Terry, Cahill – Matic, Fab – Costa
    De Gea – Smalling, Blind – Carrick, Schnederlin – Rooney
    Mignolet – Skrtl, Lovren – Lucas, Milner – Benteke

Our spine is at least as good as Liverpool and Utd but not as good as Chelsea and City

B) Once you have the spine evaluated, you seek to see the other key positions: Full backs, CAM and Wingers

Bellerin / Ramsey – Ozil – Monreal / Sanchez

vs

Zabaleta / De Bruyne – Silva – Kolarov / Sterling
    Ivanovic / Pedro – Oscar – Azpi / Hazard
    Darmian / Mata – Herrera – Shaw / Depay
    Clyne / Coutinho – Henderson – Gomez / Firmino

Again, our spine is at least as good as Liverpool and Utd but not as good as Chelsea and City

C) You look at the bench on the spine positions

Ospina – Chambers, Gabriel – Arteta, Wilshere – Walcott

vs

Caballero – Di Michelis, Mangala – Fernando, Delph – Bony
    Begovic – Zouma, Balbodji – Mikel, Ramires – Falcao
    Romero – Jones, Rojo – Schweini, Perreira – Martial
    Bogdan – Toure, Sakho – Can, Allen – Sturridge

D) Then the rest of the squad in terms of established players (not doing it – too long))

E) The the coach

AW vs Pellegrini vs Mourinho vs Van Gaal vs Rodgers

Based on this assessment, I think it is fair to say that:

1) City and Chelsea will battle it out but that City has an edge in terms of its overall squad;
    2) Arsenal will probably have a tough fight for 3rd place but should manage to edge it out
    3) That we could have addressed the DM position during this transfer window and that not doing so, may put us at risk if Coquelin gets injured

That said – there are plenty of X-factors (injuries, early exist in domestic or continental competitions, ref mistakes, winter transfer window) that will influence the outcome of the season but purely on paper, one has to give the edge to City and Chelsea over the rest of the top 5 teams to land the big gong at the end of the season

Jamie, you had me hooked until the last eight words!

I will however add one redundant comment – Given that only AW knew what players he wanted to buy and why it was not possible to consummate the deal’s then all the dialogue in the world is just uniformed speculation – and in that I don’t participate.

81. jamiestunner says:

Yeah Rasp, me too, although I did feel at the time that his personality was an issue, but he seems to be handling himself quite well at Barca.

I think we would have lost him the following season once Barca came along, but that would have been at a profit. I honestly think the striker we missed out on was Dybala… you can just tell the quality from watching him play, he may have wanted June though so I can’t really fault Wenger there, but this season’s DM issue is similar to the CB issue last year with our only real CB’s being an injured player and one coming off a World Cup win. If Flamini and Arleta weren’t good enough last year, what makes Wenger think they will be this year as they’re getting older, and will decline physically.

“If Flamini and Arleta weren’t good enough last year, what makes Wenger think they will be this year as they’re getting older, and will decline physically.”

What makes you think that AW thinks that?

It’s moneyball.

We spend less and yet outperform L’pool, MU, Spurs on a regular basis which indicates AW is doing a fine job.

Did anyone imagine we would by De Brune? AW wants top quality but will not (or cannot) pay the prices.

I am over my disappointment and excited about our prospects for the coming season.

Would 3rd or 4th be satisfactory? I will tell you at season’s end😑

Jamie. Good to see you back on AA

85. jamiestunner says:

GN5, If you’re looking at it from Wenger’s perspective, then we may assume that he wanted a DM, because not wanting one could be likened to being blind. If so, then we can assume that the new player evaluation system we got last year is still working, in which case, you should probably throw out a player evaluation system that can’t find someone who does what Coq does better than Arteta and Flamini

Sorry for posting that spoof Wenger quote.
    It wasn’t intended to be directed at anyone or at anyone’s views.
    It sucked me in and then the last sentence made me laugh.
    That was all.

87. jamiestunner says:

At the end of the day it’s MY opinion not Wenger’s that we need better options than those two, but watching them struggle last year, and the fact that the team stopped leaking goals once Coq came in is enough evidence in my mind that they should have been replaced.

I do understand you though that it’s pointless to try and guess what Wenger is thinking.

I don’t want to seem argumentative (although somebody has to be) but all you are doing is citing your opinion on what AW thinks and how he acts – simply uniformed speculation.

89. jamiestunner says:

Raddy, thanks I’m glad to be back.

90. stevepalmer1 says:

Sorry to butt into your debate N5 and Jamie, but answer me one question , if we are in so in need of a holding midfielder, why has Wenger taken him off so many times, when others are worse.

….. and if I can butt in too ….. is it possible that AW still sees JW as a HM?

92. RC78 says:

oh boy – what happened to our fun blog? It is getting a bit too heated in here…Everybody entitled to their own opinion but let’s keep our cool and continue to support our team 🙂

93. jamiestunner says:

Steve, I think he believes his offensive side of the game is not what we need. Also I think he doesn’t really like your traditional destroyer and prefers a very technical player (good old Arteta)

94. Shard says:

Here’s a stat I read a few days ago that really surprised me. Arsenal have taken more shots than any other team this season. I thought we were supposedly all tippy tappy and not enough shooty.

Now I understand stats don’t always present a well rounded argument, but this shoukd disprove the tippy tappy argument. It does however show a need for better finishing. Walcott has many flaws in his game, but usually finishing is one of his strengths. He should start scoring soon. Giroud has shown himself to be a decent scorer. Alexis will definitely gt better, and the likes of ramsey, ox, and ozil should also contribute. The bigget improvement needs to come from welbeck. I believe he posseses all the tools to be a future great goalscorer. If he can get fit and stay fit, he’ll get his chance.

My point is, I think the goals will come. We’re creating chances, we’re taking shots and it’s early in the season.

95. Shard says:

Rasp

I don’t know what wenger believes but I think he’s said jack needs to play further forward where his acceleration can open space for him or other players to exploit.

Personally, I think wilshere should aim to be cazorla’s successor.

I understand all the questioning of Mr Wenger and I have wondered why we did or did not do this or that, but the reaction on AA has fortunately been sober and mature, unlike some other blogs that I have visited where vitriol is oozing out of every pore and aimed squarely at the gaffer, Arsene Wenger.

Underlying it all tho’ is a sore lack of facts. What do we really know?

Well we bought Cech, and that met with the universal approval of all the pundits at that time, who reckoned he was worth 15 extra points, and could win us the EPL. It also met with the approval of every blogger who expressed an opinion, and angered Maureen as well.
    All good! That we know.

We did not buy any other players – that much we also know.

The rest is conjecture. We were rumoured to want Benzema who had never shown any interest in leaving Madrid – and who could blame him for that – Arsenal, if we are being honest – would have been a step down from his perspective, and Real had not bought a replacement either.

The PSG forward Cavani was also allegedly on our shopping list, but our very own RC78 told us marathon once that he would never join us, as he is perfectly content at the premier club in France – and we are not the premier club in England, so that too would have been a step down.

Did Wenger try for either of them? He may have – but that would be a hard sell to those two players let alone agreeing a fee with their clubs. And he might not have tried to buy them. Who knows?

Realistically, any such deal was doomed to failure in any event.

As regards Kondogbia, Rabiot and Schneiderlin for the DM role, again the fact has to be faced, we are not necessarily every player’s first choice club – one went to InterMilan probably the best club in Italy and with a lifestyle many players would envy; Rabiot, and/or his mother, clearly is more than happy in Paris, and why not – it is a lovely city, and he, like Cavani, probably loves being at the best club in France; and Schneiderlin – well he made no secret that his first and preferred choice of a club to go to was manure.

Again, I suggest that Wenger was on a hiding to nothing trying to get any of them. Was that his fault?

Would the fans have been happy if Arsene had instead bought some other player deemed to be too young, inexperienced or not at the same level as the above? I would bet they would not.

And if he was no better than the young aspirants we have in the youth set up (Jeff – Queen of Adelaide) or those out on loan, such as Gedion Zelalem, earning rave reviews at Rangers, what would be the point of that anyway?

But we come back to the irrefutable truth that we no Eff all about the real facts of these rumoured deals, and whether Arsenal tried to buy them or not, and simply have to depend on rumours and opinions instead, and we all know how crap they are.

Perhaps Wenger really did bust a gut to buy these and other players, whose clubs just did not want to sell to us, whatever the price – let’s face it they are all filthy rich themselves and do not need our cash; or perhaps he failed because the players he wanted did not want to join us. It happens.

But like over-excited, spoiled kids who have dropped their ice creams many fans just have to blame someone for their disappointment, and who better to point a finger at and hurl abuse at than AW.

I was disappointed too – and also frustrated that we did not get greater midfield cover — but to blame Wenger, when I do not know the facts of what went on, just seems ludicrous to me – and not just because it is Wenger, but that would be the case whoever was in charge and in the same boat.

RC78 ,

Then I will shut down and let you all indulge in uniformed speculation.

I’m offski………….

marathon = ‘more than’ [don’t blame me – it’s the auto correct – again] 🙂

Hi Shard, I agree it looks like AW prefers him in a more advanced role – the problem is we are already overloaded with talented players in that position.

If Jack can start scoring more goals (like he did for England) then by all means move him forward and let’s try Ramsey in the deeper role.

Don’t go because of me GN5. 🙂

101. stevepalmer1 says:

Hy Jamie, we all have our own opinion, and thats how it should be, Many the time i feel i kn ow how his mind is working, and then i find he does things i don’t understand.

Having said that i have managed F all and Arsen has put us in Europe consistently for many many years, i have to hold my hands up and say he knows best, as far as i am concerned.

Since he arrived i have seen Managers for other clubs come and go, and not one of them has the longevity that Wenger has Produced. Consistent finishing positions while shopping on a shoe string budget.

You can argue your case as of course you should, but for an ardent Wenger supporter like myself, i have to go along with the Guvner, If he hasn’t brought there is a reason . Wenger will write a book at the end of his career it will tell us all why he has done the things he has and why, i just hope its a long way off, as in my mind he is still the best manager around. (my view of course) But of course he should be questioned at times. 🙂

102. Jeremy says:

Really enjoyed the financial info yesterday and the post today. Hope it’s not the last as the information is invaluable. I believed the highest prices quotes for untill reading GIEs post on the price of regular tickets amongst the top teams. Similarly with the amount of money available. Glad TW is over.

Well blow mw down, 108 comments on the gloomiest day in Arsenal’s history. Will read later.

Had a superb afternoon meeting Arnie. For a man with such an enormous brain he’s very pleasant indeed and a joy 🙂

My wife, who only met him briefly, later said she got a really good feeling about him. What the bloody hell does she mean by that?

104. The Cockie Monster says:

India……………….Karma Sutra !…………..you can work it out Micky !. 😆

105. The Cockie Monster says:

Oops !….no “r” in Kama Sutra, but maybe a …..ahhhhhhhhh ahhhhhhh ahhhhhhh followed by a YESSS YESSS YESSS and OMG 😆

Arnie, are you around for the Stoke game? I want to have a good feeling to.

I also want to give JC his birthday card. I didnt post it because I am to tight to pay the stamp.

Cornwall fancy going to a game soon? I will sort you a ticket.

I want to see if your Fila tracksuit has been fully absorbed. hahaha

108. The Cockie Monster says:

I just copy and pasted this, but what I would be interested to know is although we have a net spend of £11.2M….( not knowing what fees we got for Vickers and Dobson )…..how much have we saved or not saved on wages ?…….did we get money for the loanees ?……over to you GIE !. 😀

The club did more selling than they did recruiting this summer (three players signed, 13 offloaded) and if anyone missed any of those deals, here is a summary of what we did before the window closed last night:

INS:

Petr Cech (Chelsea, £10 million)

Jeff Reine-Adelaide/Yassin Fortune (Lens £3 million combined)

Donyell Malen (Ajax, Free)

OUT:

Lukas Podolski (Galatasaray, £1.8 million)

Abou Diaby (Marseille, Free)

Ryo Miyaichi (St. Pauli, Free)

George Dobson (West Ham, Undisclosed)

Josh Vickers (Swansea, Undisclosed)

LOANS:

Carl Jenkinson (West Ham)

Ainsley Maitland-Niles (Ipswich)

Yaya Sanogo (Ajax)

Wojciech Szczesny (Roma)

Isaac Hayden and Chuba Akpom (Hull)

Serge Gnabry (West Brom)

Emiliano Martinez (Wolves)

The club parted with £13 million and received £1.8 million, resulting in a total net spend of £11.2 million.

109. Red Arnie says:

Micky, great pleasure, great fun. 🙂 Thanks a ton. Had a brilliant time.

No bloody connection on laptop. Layers.

110. The Cockie Monster says:

It`s a shell suit Terence a shell suit !. hahaha

Seeing as you`re about , you answer my above question and I might let you pay for a ticket as I`m tighter than you !………couldn`t pay for my petrol and food as well could you !. hahaha

111. The Cockie Monster says:

Can you also guarantee some goals as no goals in 5 of the last 6 home games !……………you may have to kill and dispose of Rasp as it`s he`s fault !.

why dont you nick one of Mrs horses and ride down? On the way you can rob an unsespecting Tourist, probably Arnie hahaha, and buy me a drink with his hard earned dosh.

Dont the clubs who have loaned the player pay his wages? Not sure exactly. Lets get Kelsey on here. He will probably tell us weve made £50 million. hahaha

113. The Cockie Monster says:

I watched Arsenal play West Ham on Arsenalplayer and George Dodson must have thought he was still playing for us as he kept losing the ball every time we scored !………………no wonder it was an undisclosed fee for him as it probably involved a brown paper bag after that game !.

I wouldnt mess with Rasp Cornwall, hes some form of Karatist. Hes also bald so has nothing to lose. Last time I saw him I had a good butchers at his hands. They are like shovels. Guaranteed death for piss takers like us. hahaha

115. The Cockie Monster says:

hahaha I do miss Kelsey`s insider trader dealings on our finances as he`s one of Kroenke`s henchmen, although probably only employed for his fine Barnet !.

Seriously Cockie, is that what the slippery toad was up to. Shit, and I left them alone as well!!!

Is Jeff in the senior squad?

118. The Cockie Monster says:

Hahaha True, Stretch, but he`s a bit thick !….he tried to get rid and dispose of the last person he shagged by trying to drown them !………….but they were gold fish !.

119. The Cockie Monster says:

Jeff is apparently in the CL squad, Micky !.

It was probably love at first sight micky. Theres nothing you can do when a women falls under the Arnie charm

My Mrs used to fall in love at first sight with other geezers to. It was alright though. After having sex with them she came back to me. hahaha

121. The Cockie Monster says:

True !..I used to ask Teresa Mancini….” where you off to now ? ”

“I`m off to cook and iron the bastards syrup after I`ve been around Shovelhands Monk !”.

Best part of this season could be finding out who’s the better footballer, Martial at £35M or Jeff at £3M

I think I know the answer and we’ll be rolfing all the way

123. The Cockie Monster says:

“So what did you do alone with Arnie then ?”

“He was charming his snake with a flute !”

124. The Cockie Monster says:

Oops !..I`ve been summoned by the Horse Whisperer !.

Good night !.

Micky. On the little evidence available your wife has wonderful taste in men

This is the ad that Sir Henry Norris placed in the Athletic Times when he was looking for a new manager in 1934………………..

“Arsenal Football Club is open to receive applications for the position of Team Manager. He must possess the highest qualifications for the post, both as to ability and personal character. Gentlemen whose sole ability to build up a good side depends on the payment of heavy and exorbitant transfer fees need not apply.”

I’m happy to say that our current manager Arsene Wenger lives up to the standards set by Sir Henry 81 years ago.

I’m in the process of writing a piece on our top 5 managers and yes Arsene Wenger is included.

Please note If I offended anybody today then your skin is too thin……………..

I find it offensive GN5 that you allude to me maybe having thin skin. It is actually a transparant adhesive all over body suit that prevents friction burns on shag pile rugs if you must know 🙂

Good evening all. Not been about today but I noticed a heated (to a degree) debating day. Probably what was to be expected.

128. fatgingergooner says:

I don’t think it’s as clear cut as Coquelin came in last season and stopped us conceding goals. Let’s not forget that the only reason he came back from Charlton was due to a crazy amount of injuries. Chambers played 20+ games at the beginning of last season and we played Monreal at CB a number of times. Bellerin was also blooded when he should’ve been playing reserve football. My point is it is harsh just to write off Arteta as poor cover. If he has Merts, Koz or Paulista behind him then he can be more than good enough to play 15-20 games this year.

The other side of it is that if Coq had cost £20m in January then would there be so many complaining. Sometimes a price tag seems to hold more weight than performances.

Coquelin has a chance now to prove to everyone he can be our future HM player, and in fairness he has earned that chance through hard work and quality performances. I think it’s fair for Wenger to give him 12 months to prove just how good he can be. If he falls short then Wenger has given himself a year to find a better quality player than Kondogbia or Schneiderlin. If he is up to the task though, then Wenger has shown once again why he keeps faith in his players when others may buckle under fan pressure.

Either way, we will need a HM next summer, but its down to Coquelin as to wether we will be looking for a back up or a starter.

GB you need to talk to our scuba divers about thick suits for all occasions.

By the way if that was heated I must live in an igloo as I found it to be quite tepid.

FGG – From what I’ve seen of Schneiderlin I would far sooner have Coquelin on my team. I think the concern expressed is what happens if he gets injured – well I also feel that in Arteta we have a proven back up.

131. fatgingergooner says:

GN5,

We’ve all seen happens when you buy ‘back up’ players though. It’s called Squillaci! 🙂

The only options are to buy a world class player, an older player, or get someone on loan. In Arteta we have an older player, and in Flamini we have someone equal to any loan we could’ve brought in. So that leaves buying a player better than Coquelin. Firstly, I didn’t see many of those moving around in the TW (some would argue Schneiderlin and Kondogbia, but then you’re talking £20m for little improvement on Coquelin). Secondly, if anyone has earned a chance to prove themselves it’s Coquelin, and buying one of those 2 players would’ve sent a poor message from AW I believe.

Arteta and Flamini can do the back up job imo.

132. jamiestunner says:

Yeah maybe 5years ago. Now you get Gabriel and Nacho who were brought in as backups with potential to be first teamers. Nacho has done that, and I think Gabriel will do so too

133. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha, good batner. 🙂

Terry. Maybe, just maybe. Will be in the London area at that time. Just hoping I dont have to travel on Saturday. 🙂 🙂

Cockie, are we having tea and scones in Glen Tamar tomorrow? In that case, pls get in touch ASAP. 🙂 🙂 🙂

134. Red Arnie says:

Brilliant positive spin, GiE. 🙂 Not much to disagree about. And what a great day of discussions.

Arguably the worst day in the history of the club? Nostradamus, where is Nostradamus! 😛

COYG.

No game this weekend!!!???!?!?

Booo

136. The Cockie Monster says:

Arnie, I`ll be delivering to Truro and then west, then along the north coast for the next 3 days, but I know what you look like as Cornish Border Control have sent me details of your Scottish passport and don’t be surprised if some Cockney nutter jumps out on you !. 😆

Morning all, sorry I wasn’t around to chat more yesterday, busy working which is annoying 🙂

Anyway seems like a reasonable debate was had on the merits or otherwise of our transfer window.

I see Wenger using Martial as a clue that the market was crazy and that there was a lack of available talent, I tend to agree. As he himself says £50million or so for a player with 10 goals at senior level.

I also think the whole transfer window thing has given rise to the theory that teams do not organically grow and improve year on year, that for me is the real downside of the modern game, there seems to be a need for a major overhaul every season for most squads, keeping our players for the last two/three summers has been as important as any new signings. We do not sign 28-30 year olds regularly which means we don’t have to replace them quickly like others do, that coupled with the fact we have a lot of youngsters throughout the squad who are beginning to need to be named in our 25 man squads is also why we have to only acquire where there is a definite gap to fill. I know RC didn’t list the squad earlier, but I think it’s necessary to understand why we did/didn’t sign players.

Poland playing Germany this weekend. Big game micky

Will it involve tanks and shit Eddie?

Chas
    That pic screams Crystals

Crystals
    Let’s be clear on this, we had Bryan on here the other day who is a splendid fellow and all that, but what I call a luke warm realist. It’s time for The Master to reveal The Truth

141. Red Arnie says:

motning all.

yes, we want our one and only true realist back! 🙂

It is not just Crystals who enjoys the BB pics

143. Red Arnie says:

Cockie. Thanks for teh warning. I will be careful! 😛

No micky, no tanks no shit. It’s a football match with 1 ball, 2 goal posts, 22 players and Szczesny vs Per, ok?

And England v San Marino on Sat, I think English will win

We have a New Post ………………………..

147. Aaron says:

a little perspective for all the bench mongers and mopers..

yes- you have to read, sorry:-)
    hope I don’t get into trouble for posting the link!

Now get back that supporters voice-all!