Is the Community Shield a big deal?

Morning all, for the sake of all of our eyes and as Eddie raised the question about the importance of the weekends game with Chelsea, with the dreaded question….is it a “Must Win Game”…..i decided i may as well put finger to keyboard and put something up, it has tables and a poll, whats not to like?

I’m already sick of the sight of Maureen and listening to him is too much to bear, so for that reason i’d love us to win, but from a point of view of our season going forward do we think it will have a great affect either positively or negatively?

After all last season we won the Community Shield only to finish third in the league, the optimism of July and August was crushed come transfer deadline day and a long queue outside the medical room was forming.

So i decided to have a look back to 2004 and the fortunes of the winners and losers of the Community Shield come the end of the season.

Year Winners Lge Position Champions League FA Cup League Cup
2004 Arsenal 2 Winners
2005 Chelsea 1
2006 Liverpool 4
2007 Manchester United 1 Winners
2008 Manchester United 1 Winners Winners
2009 Chelsea 1
2010 Manchester United 1
2011 Manchester United 2
2012 Manchester City 2
2013 Manchester United
2014 Arsenal 3 Winners
Percentage who won 45% 9% 27% 9%

So there you have it, less than half went on to win the league and its been a while since that happened, and others including us went on to win cups.

And what of the runners up?

Year Runners Up League Position Champions League FA Cup League Cup
2004 Manchester United 3
2005 Arsenal 4
2006 Chelsea 2 Winners Winners
2007 Chelsea 2 Runner Up
2008 Portsmouth
2009 Manchester United 2 Winners
2010 Chelsea 2
2011 Manchester City 1
2012 Chelsea 3
2013 Wigan
2014 Manchester City 2
Percentage who won 9% 0% 9% 18%

Well pretty appalling in reality.

So is Eddie right and it is a Must Win Game? Maybe the losers have statistically not done as well in the season compared to the winners, but there is also the possibility that neither side will go on to win anything.

What say the good readers of AA?

Gooner in Exile

207 Responses to Is the Community Shield a big deal?

1. Reg says:

All games are must win games – unless you have that mentality, you won’t be a winner consistently

Reg there is a difference between “Must Win” and “Want to Win” don’t you think?

Of course we all want to win games, as do the players and managers of every team. But a must win game implies something more important, the fact that if you don’t win it it will have a bigger impact than the loss of a piece of silverware or three points in the league.

If it was a must win game, I’d be going.

I’m not going.

Chas 😀

Love that Ian Wright goal

Thanks GiE, I voted No (it’s not a must win).

I want us to win every game we play but I’d gladly swap a win in the league against the chavs for winning the CS.

Actually I feel pretty confident that we will win as the chavs won’t field a full strength team and probably won’t park the bus

7. lango says:

its a build up match,it has nothing to do with other trophies.further more,both teams will consist of many
    new players

8. Red Arnie says:

Fantastic posts, Norfolk, GN5, and now GiE. 🙂 Missed a few days of fantastic comments 😦 A lot of catchup awaits now. 😦

9. It definately is a must win game… it’s against the Chavs and maureen, don’t listen to Chas, just because he doesn’t go, probably means he couldn’t get a ticket 🙂
    Read my blog on Sunday, Pre-match, and you’ll understand why this game will be important.

10. Red Arnie says:

I voted yes. (1) we need to put the Maureen voodoo behind us if we want to do well this year. (2) historically speaking, winning both FAC and Community Shield two consecutive years is a very big deal! (3) Bragging rights over our only significant London rivals – the Russian funded oilers.

Over the year, we are likely to lose one or two games. I would happily take a win here, in exchange for a loss in any other inconsequential games.

Its the balance between 3 points (only, and at best) versus an important trophy for us IMO.

Wenger – How Premier League has evolved

Arsène Wenger says that English clubs have gone to a “different dimension” since his arrival in the Premier League.

The Arsenal manager will start his 20th season in this country on Sunday when the Gunners take on Chelsea in the Community Shield.

Wenger is proud of what he has achieved in his time in England and says the game has undergone a radical transformation.

“I have learnt to love English football,” he said. “I was always impressed by it [before] but I think I’ve learnt the culture of the country much better and the culture of Arsenal Football Club.

“There is a mixture in England that is absolutely special. It’s this respect for tradition that makes you feel as though the game was created here.

“The Premier League has always moved forward and Arsenal has as well. There’s that mixture that is right in England and I hope we can keep that.

“The competitiveness of the league has become much stronger in the last 20 years,” he added. “The change of structures inside the club has unbelievably changed, and the interest of the media and popularity of the sport has grown so much.

“On the other hand, the clubs have taken a different dimension. When I arrived Arsenal Football Club was 80 people. Today it’s 537. That tells you how much football has changed and that is tremendous. Hopefully in 20 years we will be 2,500.”

Copyright 2015 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to http://www.arsenal.com as the source

Arnie….two things:

1) good point on the Maureen hoodoo thing, seems Cahill broke his nose last week and will play in a mask and the pensioner Costa has tweaked his very fallible hamstring again.

2) avoid the last comments of yesterday’s post, I’ve still got certain images burned into my retina and they’re not pleasant 😀

GIE, I believe that all games against the main PL clubs are important to win as it sets a tone for the next encounter. A win against last seasons champions can only be a positive.

However the only time I consider a game to be a must win is when it is in a competitive situation – either a league or cup game.

So – must win, no – do I want us to win, you’re darn tooting!!

14. Red Arnie says:

GiE. 🙂 thanks for the warning as well. 😛

Someone told me, the purpose of painting a switch RED was to encourage people to look around to see thay are not being watched, and then press it! 🙂

On with it then!

Arnie
    The only problem is is that none of the other games are inconsequential (unless we qualify from our CL group in 1st place with 1 game to spare and there’s a dead rubber in Kazahkstan).

Even the C1Cup 3rd round game is more important. 🙂

NB69
    How very dare you, of course I could get a ticket.
    I just don’t fancy schlepping down to London for a meaningless friendly.
    (Meaningless unless we win, of course, then it’ll be the game that set us on the way to the treble). 🙂

Ok so how is this:

“She is probably thinking – ‘if this goes in I get a new kitchen’,”

different from this:

“I think the lady needs to occupy her time and if she takes care of her husband’s diet, she will have less time to speak about me.”

One produced headlines such as:

Peter Alliss’ ‘sexist’ commentary that has caused a stir – The Daily Mail
    BBC apologises for sexist remark by commentator Peter Alliss – The Grauniad
    Peter Alliss bunkered by sexism gaffes at the Open – Scotsman
    Peter Alliss provokes another sexism storm – TodayFM

And the other:

Jose Mourinho tells Rafa Benitez’s wife to ‘take care of husband’s diet’ – The Daily Mail
    José Mourinho hits back with jibe about Rafa Benítez’s weight – The Grauniad

etc etc etc

No mention of sexism anywhere?

Is it because Mourinho can say what he likes and the press just lap it up?

The whole exchange sums up Mourinho’s short-termist thinking

Mrs Benitez joked that her husband was “tidying up” another Mourinho “mess” at Real.

Mourinho countered,”Her husband went to Chelsea to replace Roberto Di Matteo and he went to Real Madrid and replaced Carlo Ancelotti. The only club where her husband replaced me was at Inter Milan, where in six months he destroyed the best team in Europe at the time.”

He doesn’t seem to realise that him buying success (or at least attempting to during his time at Madrid) has repercussions on a club several years after he’s left.
    The cheek of the man to say that Inter were the best team in Europe. They weren’t even the best team in the semi-final or final.

This was my favourite piece of Peter Alliss commentary from this year’s Open. 🙂

19. This should be called, “WANKERS” not Legend.

20. Though I do like Tom Hardy as an Actor

21. Afternoon all, a must win game? Yes! Of course we must win it, if only to put down a marker to the other pretenders to the Premiership title.

A win on Sunday will provide a bit of gristle for the charming Senhor Mourinho to chew on.

Any win, in any competition against the reigning champions must be a moral booster for the winners and puts a tiny bit of doubt in the minds of the losers.

I’d far sooner see Arsenal win The Community Shield than some meaningless tournament in Singapore.

Cheers GIE

I attach great importance GIE, but only if Moronio keels over from stomach cramp

The medics rush on, well actully they stroll and stop for a fag break. The geezer with the loud speaker asks if there is a Doctor in the house, so several people get up and leave. Finally, the only way to save him is through the kiss of life, but Julian Clarey didnt get a ticket.

After all that, turns out Morinio just had the shits and is left with an unseemly stain on his trousers. The crowd is aghast, everyone thought he would do the usual and crap through his mouth.

23. Here’a a question that someone should ask the Charming Senhor Mourinho. During your career in football management, how many times have you been sacked?

24. An 85 year old Englishman arrives at Paris, Charles de Gaulle airport, the customs man asks for his passport and he has to search his hand luggage. The customs man says, “Have you been to France before monsieur”, and the elderly man says, “yes, I have been here once before ”
    “Well,” says the customs man, “you should know that all foreigners must have their passport ready and open before they can enter France.”
    The elderly man leans towards the customs officer and says, “The last time I arrived in France it was the 6th June 1944 in Normandy, and there wasn’t a fucking Frenchman anywhere to be found to show my fucking passport”.

I’m sure it was always by mutual agreement NG, at least that’s what he will say

Worth a gander wrt today’s post.

wrt??? Oh dear the dumbing down of the blog has commenced next it’ll be all BRB and TTFN and Pwning 😉

FYI, I have feck all idea what BRB and Pwning stand for.

Can’t get any dumber, Shirley?

I do know what snurging and figging are though – Eddie told me.

Where’s Micky – the blog needs a lift in class.

ha ha ha, 70% agree with Eddie and only 30% with GiE 🙂 🙂

I am not a great believer in stats, but those are rather interesting! Start well and keep on going, excellent idea

I think it would be a huge psychological and morale boost for the lads if they could beat the despicable Chavs. Cech to make some brill saves to top the Maureen misery, great!

chas – micky has gone soft in the head. He is onto those modern ideas of bringing-up-kids when you don’t tell the little feckers to be seen and not heard, and instead you teach them by example. He doesn’t want them to sit on the net all day long so he stopped blogging. He’d better start thinking teenage pregnancies….

34. Red Arnie says:

Chas. I was talking of the League. CL, FAC or COC are different. How many times in our history dis we fail to win the league but would have done so if we had one extra win? I wonder. 🙂

4th place trophy does not count! 🙂

An example of how to use pwn correctly:

“Eddie just pwned me”

An example of how to use brb:

brb

See I’m b.

I told you I’d brb

Anyway Eddie pwned me at 8:04

Arnie
    You’d rather lose a League game than lose the Community Shield?!!

You must be stark raving mad – much like Eddie’s 70 per cent. 🙂

70% think this is a relevant stat.

39. The Cockie Monster says:

I drove through Torrington today on my deliveries and went past Ian`s Hair place and shouted………” Is MickyDidit about ? “…………..some geezer who may have been Ian shouted back……” Who the fcuk is MickyDidit ? and by the way you have a very nice Premier League looking hairstyle….sort of Giroudesque ! “.

Now let me think !……………..will I be upset if we lose to the Chavs in the Constipation Shield ?…..or will I be suicidal if we lose or even draw with West Ham in our first must win game in the EPL ?……………lucky I have The Samaritans on speed dial !.

40. VCC says:

Bendtner…..”The best striker in the world right now” just ask the OX. LMAO

41. VCC says:

Hey Cockie…… I’ve managed to get some tickets for the West Ham game.

I’ll FaceTime you so you can watch it live from behind your sofa.

BTW, have you a new one for this season, or is it that dirty old stained one?

42. The Cockie Monster says:

New one every game, Vic`s !…………………I spend two hours in DFS every match !…..night games are a bastard though as I cant leave until they open up in the morning !.

43. VCC says:

Ha Ha Cockie…..you’ll have to organise an all night party on a European Championship night. Invite all the regular AA’ers.

44. Red Arnie says:

yes, Chas, I can confirm that I am stark raving mad! 🙂

West Ham revving up for our opener on the 9th.

chas – that is seriously bad news. if Hammers cannot beat Astra Georgiou then they may as well not bother travelling to N5 next week

True:

French playmaker signs for Arsenal : Ismael Bennacer’s transfer to Arsenal has been completed with the player posing for pictures while signing the contract.

Reports in France yesterday suggested Bennace had accepted a five-year contract to join the Gunners from Arles-Avignon ahead of Manchester City.

Bollix:
    Arsenal are set to make a £35million bid for Robert Lewandowski of Bayern Munich, according to reports

Bad news:
    Falcao is a Chav

And some good news – Dzeko not joining Arsenal, thank Dennis he is going to Roma

Morning all and thanks GIE. I voted no for must win. The loser on Sunday could just as easily be the EPL champions come May. I do however subscribe to Arnie’s thoughts about getting the statistical Moanio vs Arsene Monkey off our back so we don’t have to be inundated with it when we play them in the early EPL fixture.

I hope the Lewandowski “bollix” bit is actually not Eddie. I rather like your compatriot and think he would be brilliant at Arsenal. I think he is potentially a title deciding type player.

Not sure about Llorente though. The Llorente of 4 years ago would have been great but does he really now give us anything more than our other 4 choices?

Cazorla and Walcott sign new deals

Santi Cazorla and Theo Walcott have both agreed contract extensions with the club.

Walcott, 26, is Arsenal’s longest-serving current player, making his 300th appearance for the club last season. He has scored a total of 76 goals since joining the Gunners in 2006.

Theo finished last season in outstanding form. The England forward netted a first-half hat-trick against West Bromwich Albion in the final Premier League match of the season, before scoring the opener in the FA Cup final victory over Aston Villa the following week.

As well as their huge contributions on the pitch, they both have a great deal of experience and are very popular off the pitch – Wenger on Cazorla and Walcott

Cazorla, 30, enjoyed another excellent year for Arsenal in 2014/15. Playing in a deeper midfield role for the Gunners, he made 53 appearances in all – more than any other player.

In total, the gifted Spaniard has featured 148 times for Arsenal since his arrival from Malaga in 2012. His tally of 27 goals includes many important strikes, most notably in the 2014 FA Cup Final victory over Hull City.

An experienced international, Cazorla has won more than 70 caps for his country and was part of the squad that won the European Championship in 2008 and 2012.

Arsène Wenger said: “We’re delighted to have extended the contracts of Santi and Theo. Both are top quality players who are hugely important and influential to our squad.

“As well as their huge contributions on the pitch, they both have a great deal of experience and are very popular off the pitch. We’re very pleased with them both signing contract extensions, as it provides our squad with further stability of quality.”

Everyone at the club is looking forward to the continued contributions of Santi and Theo in the seasons ahead.

52. There goes Arsene signing players over the age of 30 to extended deals again 🙄

54. Well that put puts paid to a number of rumours, Santi is not wanted by various Spanish clubs after all and there have been no bids for Theo from any quarter.

I think the only other signing we will make this time around is Busquets from Barca. The deal will be completed early next week.

Wow, interesting call Norfolk?

Busquets, probably the second most disliked player on the planet, just behind Suarez that is, and yet……with a change in kit…….hmmmm…..Red and White…..hmmmmm…….I am starting to see it.

Very clever signing if it happens.

57. Congratulations to the England cricketers, beating Australia in two and a half days by eight wickets is some feat.

It certainly makes up for the Lords debacle.

Now we need a really good performance in the fourth test, a win will secure the Ashes.

58. There are strong rumours circulating that Real have accepted our 40m for Benzema…. anyone else seen something?

59. Bayonne Jean says:

Signing a dirty sneaky player like Busquets for DM would be the perfect solution when lining up to face Mourinho and the oilers.

Pssst – wanna see some goals?

Ten more of these in the league and we might stand a chance…..

64. Aaron says:

Thanks for the videos Chas, almost brings a tear to my eye. Saw most of them every weekend!

Most importantly: Your Damn Straight!!

Cheers, man.

“I’ll leave your love story with him to continue without interfering”

“I wouldn’t like to interfere in that.”

When challenged that Mourinho believes it is Arsenal who receive preferential treatment, Wenger replied: “So it’s all about love.”

Definitely a Must Winner 🙂

Only because it’s Chelsea and Maureen

Love LB’s take on Busquets. “What a complete wanker. Sorry, did someone say he’s signed for Arsenal. Troubled childhood poor chap”

Morning Chas. Going today or still armchair fanning it? 🙂

It’s tomorrow!

Oh shit

Chas

Tell you what, after your comment about not going to these games, I was watching the Wolfsburg game and thinking how civilized the place was.

Nice and quiet, a ripple of applause here and there, and then oh dear god, some bloody yob (in a football shirt presumably) gets them all going with “stand up you tossers if you hate totnum” 🙄

Sheep just cannot get away with the shades look.

Bit like that prick Bono 🙂

Therefore Bono is a sheep?

Harsh Exile. Bono is a twat. Always was, always will be. Thanks for the post by the way.

Behind everyone’s back, I have been reading, but shhhh, secret squirrel and all that

Best Bonio?

Wouldn’t it be great if Arsenal fans TOMORROW were to give Tubby Jose a verse or two of “who ate all the pies” then wave wads of notes at their skinhead fans 🙂

Be honest Chas, if you were a pint sized little rock star in shades at night, would you release that crap?

80. oz gunner says:

Definitely a must win. The septuple is still on!

aha, micky got an out of jail card today 🙂

Oz – are you the old Oz we know or someone new?

I like Bono, he wears shades because his eyes are poorly

Too right Oz

By the way, how big is surfing in Oz. Mick Fanning for example?

Behind cricket and rugger I guess, but third as a sport?

Eddie
    Its the weekend, match day (sort of) so green light to blogging 🙂

84. oz gunner says:

The oz of old Eddie. I can hear the collective moans from here.

@ Micky

not that big to be honest. I’d say:

1. Aussie Rules Football
    2. Cricket
    3. Rugby
    4. Football
    5. Tennis
    6. Swimming
    7. Car Racing
    8. Golf
    9. Athletics
    10. The Rest

Surfing is popular in certain areas of oz but it’s alway the last sport to get a mention in the news. “oh and kelly slater won again – here’s the weather”

Good, we sort of missed you

There is artificial surfing in Snowdonia, very popular apparently

Why is Busquete a front bottom?

Interesting Oz
    I know it’s a minor sport everywhere, but given everyone in Oz lives by the sea, I’m surprised people like Fanning aren’t legends

Ha ha Eddie
    It is like we “sort of” miss Raddy and his dreadful views on everything 🙂

It appears there’s an odd whiff in the air. We all want Arsene to offload huge amounts of loot, and 40M would be excellent, but how excited would we be about Benzema?

I’d say about 25M worth of excited.

We all want? Nay micky, I don’t want Arsene to buy anybody else. that way I win £5 from ng. I seriously think we have a full squad. Ok, an amazing striker would always be welcome at the Ems, but Benzema is hardly that, or is he?

Who is Raddy?

Oz – glad you are back and you are the ‘old’ Oz 🙂

Eddie

I just watched a vid of Benzema’s goals last season, and to be frank, he’s a goal hanger.

When I was at school, I went for trials for the First and Second XI. Scored six goals and didn’t get selected. Went for an explanation and was told “Didit, you are a goal hanger and your game offers nothing more”
    I explained to the blithering idiot that goals win games. Ended up Left Half for the 4th XI.

micky – ‘sort of’ meaning we missed you terribly (especially chas), but there was a resentment – if he can’t be bothered to chat with mates that have no life then feck him

micky – are you saying you were a Benzema of your time? Wow, that is impressive 🙂 Look, be happy for the place in 4th XI, I wasn’t even allowed near a pitch, could only watch

Eddie
    Feck Me is a perfectly reasonable standpoint

Left fucking Half Eddie!!!

I was born to be a goalscorer not a bloody team player. Every ounce of my limited effort and energy was saved to be in the right place at the right time.

ha ha ha ha ha 🙂 oh yes, we definitely missed you 🙂

off to extract another flipping bucket of honey, laters

Oh well, bye then

97. oz gunner says:

@ Micky

I’d be very excited to see Benzema in Arsenal colours. I like his work rate and ability to bring others into the game. Arsene was wanted him for years so it’d be good to see him finally get his man. He’s an amazing striker – no question.

I’m surprised it isn’t bigger in oz. Australia always has its fads though. When the world cup is around everyone loves “soccer.” When the Olympics is on we all love athletics and swimming. Every other time no one cares.

98. oz gunner says:

* has

But like Brits with Wimbledon Oz, although Davis Cup is getting to be big this year.

Micky it is a bit quiet on transfer front and with all these contract extensions it is tricky to see where the space is for new signings (perhaps Danny is on the chopping block although injured at the moment).

Seems like Akpom may be joining Hayden on loan at Hull this season, if they play games it’ll be good for the pair of them.

If like to see more of our youngsters in PL dressing rooms though.

101. Shard says:

Morning chaps.

Facing a race against time to be fit for the start of the season.. Well actually for my travels. I can still barely walk for 10 minutes at a time.

The Community Shield is not a must win game, but it’s about time to beat Mourinho. (who, like GIE pointed out, has again made sexist comments – and I’m usually against people who cry out racism or sexism or something like that frequently) Especially because he counts it as among the trophies he’s won. Plus, it’s never a bad thing to win. I think we are going to.

Yay for Santi and Theo’s contracts. Stability! 🙂

A lot of the kiddies have gone out on loan in the Championship. There’s Maitland Niles at Ipswich. Jon Toral at Birmingham. Isaac Hayden at Hull, and apparently Chuba Akpom will join him there. There’s also Dan Crowley in League one at Barnsley.

So it seems Alex Iwobi and Jeff are closest to the first team right now. But what of Wellington? Or Zelalem? What are the plans for them?

Benzema, Lewandowski, Reus, Aubameyang. Are we really in for any of them? The latter is not moving anywhere. Also talk around Busquets it seems.

Now, would we prefer a Benzema and no one else in midfield? Or Busquets and some middling striker like say Llorente?

102. ‘morning all, Eddie why will I have to give you a fiver if Arsene buys a striker?

There’s no way that I’m going to pay NB’s gambling debts or his bar bills I’ve got too many of my own.

I’ve just paid the repair bill for my car. £1211.00, to replace the dual mass flywheel and clutch, although the price does include a full service as well.

I’m thinking of buying a bike. 😀

103. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha ha ha. matchday. COYG. MWG, is it? 🙂

104. Red Arnie says:

nice batner as well. all we need now is a thumping win.

who needs striker(s)? particularly if they are more than 25m? 🙂 some more nifty MFs will do fine! 😛

105. Red Arnie says:

camel wormer. you are being watched. 😛

106. Red Arnie says:

F88k. Comment in moderation. right as well!

107. Red Arnie says:

I’ll rephrase it. To try and get past the moderation. 🙂

a pedantic question. sort of football related. what is front bottom? a p88ck? or a c88t? or both?

Right then, Shard stop being a big girls blouse (is that sexist? Girls blouses are generally flimsy) and get your foot in a bucket of ice and take mugfuls of ibuprofen……it’s a sure fire way to get your joints comfortable. (Although don’t come crying to me when you’re 40 and can’t walk on uneven ground without ankle boots). 😀

Annie if you were talking France it would be une fonde avant, note the gender of the une. 😀

109. Red Arnie says:

GiE. 🙂

Shard. Dont put your feet in teh wrong place. ever again 🙂

Bouncing off of GIE’s 11.39.

“I don’t like Busquets, and not the biggest fan of Benzema, but it’d be hard to say we were lacking ambition if we added them both, and to be honest I think it would undoubtedly give us the best squad in the PL”

The thing is, in my opinion, we already have the best squad, think about it, who has better? Not Chelsea, they arguably have the best 11 but not the best squad. How they managed to go through the whole of last season with so few injuries is a miracle, wont happen again though.
    Not the two mancs, certainly not city anymore and united don’t have it yet.
    You see what I mean, we already have the best squad, however, with those two additions we would not only have the best squad we would have the best 11.

Just a thought.

111. Shard says:

GIE

HEAT! Not ice.. That confuses me as well 🙂

112. Red Arnie says:

oh dear! I was getting all geared up. only to realise just now that the game is tomorrow. 😦

113. Red Arnie says:

Shard. You asked whether amd when AA ers would be available to meet you. Aug 26 it is for me, then. 😛 Have a good trip. See you soon. 🙂

114. I’ve just been watching a bit of the Women’s FA Cup Final and one of the three pundits, on the touchline, the one in the glasses is wearing a pair of Norah Batty stockings. Poor old Compo would have loved it. 😀

arnie – what planet are you on? you are supposed to be an academic….pssshhhh….cannot even get the match day right

NG – apologies for mixing you up with that scoundrel nb

Arnie, @11:38

Your question, — “what is (a) front bottom? a p88ck? or a c88t? or both?”

You are clearly guilty of prurient curiosity concerning Eddies learned use of coy, middle class English terms, rarely used by the local populace, for referencing sexual body parts! 🙂

Anyway, the clue to the answer to your question is in the general shapes of the parts in question – so that would usually rule out any similarity to the male appendage, leaving only one meaning – unless Terry knows better. 😀

NG,

I’ve just been watching a bit of the Women’s FA Cup Final

Which bit have you been keeping an eye on? 🙂

118. Shard says:

Haha. Yes arnie I know. Though you’re a bit of a front bottom for leaving it till so late 😀

RA 🙂 🙂 it wasn’t me who came up with that term. As I recall it was absent GoonerMichael who used the 4 letter c word a tad too often. The administrator’s mother found the term offensive, so ingenious GM replaced it with ‘front bottom’. And it stuck 🙂

pugglet….oooohh..bless him, looks like Ozil

I had a tip for Goodwood 3:45 today. I am glad I didn’t tell anyone here, the bloody horse is still running and I am seriously out of pocket

121. Peaches Rasp, a back-up post for Sunday, if BR hasn’t sent one. e mailed to arsenalnuts.

122. Redders, the Norah Batty stockings…obviously. 😀

No sweat Eddie, just make sure the bum pays you in pounds sterling, don’t accept any of those euro thingamys. 😀

123. The Cockie Monster says:

Actually, the top sport in Australia is the only one they invented theirselve`s !………… after a long voyage over 200 years ago and landing with no woman in sight and over six months of shagging scurvy panted shiver me timber bum bandits, the new Australians set about capturing marsupials and restraining them with string left over from their shredded pants !…..so began the oldest colonial game of……..Tie me Kangaroo down Sport !.

Aubameyang signed new Borussia Dortmund contract yesterday.
    so it is only Benzema and Lewandowski left. Or Chubby 🙂

Wenger is said to be obsessing a bit with Draxler, I don’t believe it

126. Shard says:

Haha.. Bendtner just won Wolfsburg the German Super Cup. Their version of the community shield.

127. oz gunner says:

@ Shard

That’s LORD Bendtner to you!

@ LB

well said. couldn’t agree more.

What?

It’s matchday, bitches.

Should be interesting to see what happens in our must win game.

Where?

Some Clash?

Why is the big one

And what’s with the thinky Buddhist sort? Tosspots the lot of them

I’ve put up the best ever live vid of The Clash on here before ie English Civil War, and it’s been taken down off youtube again.

When/if it ever comes back, can you download from youtube ie keep it?

ps while hunting, I just found a Chary like bloke doing Joe Strummer. Ok, he had more than two chords and no extreme right wing views, but you get my drift

Chary 🙂

Shit me Chas
    How, where?

how sick is this (traditional sick)

Arsenal players are too interested in selfies and showing off their six-packs… Chelsea are still the ones to beat, insists Roy Keane

The above tells you all you need to know about Roy Keane – puny little chest and bad temper

Nasty pic there Eddie

init just? how much would you like to wipe the smile of that face?

who won the dog surfing competition in California?

142. Red Arnie says:

who?

Eddie
    Maureen single handedly makes this a Must Winner

144. Red Arnie says:

when?

yes micky! As our lawyer friend 26m would say: “he has a face you want to take a cricket bat to’. He meant Suarez, but hey, biting not worse than eye gorging

a match day and that is what our GM has to say on FB:
    “All those people who are trying to get through the channel tunnel aren’t “fleeing from war zones” they are fleeing from France ffs. They are already in a western country”. ffs

Fleeing from France 🙂

147. Ant says:

All three Clash clips are magnificent..thanks

Ahoy Ant
    Hope all’s good

Right, must go stick some liquid quick dry fibreglass into a massive dink in my surfboard. Intentionally ran into someone the other day and came out worse 🙄

149. Shard says:

Probably showing my age here, but Micky and chas’ ‘Who what where’ reminded me of this

150. Shard says:

And arnie and NB join in as well 🙂

151. Good morning Ladies 🙂

And what are those comments from Norfolk and Eddie about me, Untrustworthy and a Scoundrel.

I’m gonna sue for defamation of Character 🙂
    And Eddie, in my drunken haze I can’t remember what our £5 bet was originally about…. did I win?

152. And one other fing… IT’S MATCHDAY

153. Red Arnie says:

where?

154. Red Arnie says:

really? when? 3PM?

155. Arnie…… 4 PM what?

156. Arnie, apparently you watched the game yesterday……. plonker 🙂

157. Shard says:

The game is actually at 7.30 pm 😛

158. Red Arnie says:

NB. 🙂 how?

159. Arnie, didn’t you post yesterday that it was matchday? Eddie (clever girl) picked up on it.
    By the way you tarts, GunnersoreArse has been published, so if you want a quick read before Rasp puts up todays pre-match, pop over and have a read, what’s it about…. well the Community Shield ofcourse. And that it is not a friendly, it’s a must win: http://wp.me/p4FeF9-7u

160. Red Arnie says:

yes, NB, I got all decked up yesterday for the game and then realised the game is today. 🙂

hi Slim! have a good game! And bring the trophy back with you

nb – we had a bet that you can stay sober for the whole weekend

NB suing for defamation of character

Superb. Bet it’ll be a sell out in the court room 🙂

Judge “what’s next?”
    Court Clerk “NB suing for defamation of character”
    Judge “Back in five”
    Returns in comedy clown suit

164. Red Arnie says:

yes, Shard, Indian time. 😛

165. Red Arnie says:

really?

166. Eddie…. I’ve lost that bet many times 🙂

Micki 🙂

167. Shard says:

Ok, so arnie, you can get your time zones right, but not the days? 🙂

168. The Cockie Monster says:

I too am confused by all this border control stuff !………………..like Eddie says,…..”they are already in a western country !”…………..is France that bad ?…….and they have their choice of numerous countries without having to get their feet wet or get sea sick !…..what`s so different about Britain ?……I mean, I find it hard to find a decent job here and have to rely on tax credits, free NHS and dental treatments and my grandchildren have free schooling and the best football league in the world along with by far the greatest team the world has ever seen !……..I shall go to confused.com !

169. Red Arnie says:

Shard. 🙂

Cockie. What?

170. New anti-migrant measures came into operation at midnight, Giant portraits of Jose Mourinho, Roy Keane and Jimmy Saville have been put up on the White Cliffs of Dover.

Since dawn reports are coming in of swarms of would be migrants heading south from Calais.

A spokesman for David Cameron said “These gruesome pictures will remain in place for as long as necessary. Families on ferries heading for Dover should remain below deck and away from windows, children and the frail elderly are specially at risk if they are allowed to view the images.”

171. Red Arnie says:

Norfolk. 🙂

172. Red Arnie says:

which?

Morning all

There is a new post for today, I’m just sorting it, back in a few minutes.

174. That’s me not him …………. can’t open the post aaarrrggghhh be a bit longer, sorry

175. Rasp wearing a bra maybe!

176. Red Arnie says:

Did not know Rasp was a member of House of Lords! 😛

177. Meanwhile……… tap… tap… tap, twiddle thumbs

178. Peaches… tha game starts in 4 hours!

179. I know I’m so sorry.

The post is a zipped file and neither Rasp nor I can open it. If anyone thinks they can open it I can forward the email and they can send it back to me either as a word doc or with the post copied and pasted into an email

180. Try me peaches… I’ll have a looksy!

181. Red Arnie says:

Peaches. or me as well. 🙂

182. Arnie… you just want to open Rasps zipped file 🙂

183. Three and a half hours to go……

184. Red Arnie says:

🙂

185. Sending to you both to have a go, thanks

Sorry guys, some of us are at work 😦 you’ll have to sort it out between you!

187. If you could send it back by email that would be great.

Thanks xx

188. Peaches… I’ve sent it to your personal e mail ok

189. Done it, thanks Arnie

…………. New Post everyone ……………..