Community Shield pre match

At Last! The first truly competitive game of the 2015/16 season.

We’ve all, or at least most of us, enjoyed the pre-season tournaments, the Barclays Asia Trophy in Singapore saw us win the first bauble, The Emirates Cup provided us with the second. Good football, good performances and a chance to look at some of the stars of the future, all good fun.

Now we come to a match of somewhat more significance, the Community Shield against Premier League Champions Chelsea.

Some of us (37.1%) don’t rate the result very highly, others (62.9%) think it’s an MWG (must win game). Wherever you stand on the matter I’m sure 100% of you want an Arsenal win.

A win against the Champions would be a welcome boost to the morale and confidence of the squad, it might also put a bung in the mouth of the ever charming Senhor Mourinho. It would also put and end to the run of matches in which Arsene Wenger has been unable to claim a victory over the self-styled Special One.

Enough with the personalities, on with the team.

With an almost fully fit squad there can be no reason to suppose that Le Professeur will do anything but pick his strongest available starting eleven, so we should line up something close to this.

Cech

Bellerin   Mertesacker   Koscielny   Monreal

Cocquelin   Cazorla

Oxlade-Chamberlain     Ozil         Ramsey

Walcott

My one caveat with the above line-up is Bellerin, the street-wise Debuchy might be preferred as his greater experience may be required to cope with readiness of Hazard to go to ground a bit too easily.

I’ve really no idea how the opposition will line up, there are reports that Costa and Cahill are carrying injuries and so must be doubtful starters, perhaps Falcao will get the nod, it will be interesting to see if he can shrug off the memory of a less than scintillating season under van Gaal at Man U.

Their manager has made the predictable calls for referees to give greater protection to Hazard, it is to be hoped that they will also take heed of that particular player’s propensity to perform a triple somersault with pike at the least provocation.

The odds are with our opponents at the moment, they are around 6/4 for the win with Arsenal at 15/8.

Is it an MWG? Can Arsenal win? Give us your opinion.

Written by Norfolk Gooner.

114 Responses to Community Shield pre match

1. Must win… I see Wenger going with Debooshy and Gibbo

2. Sorry for the hassle Peaches, I’ll just put the whole thing in the e mail next time. I’ve only just read your e mail plea.

Bonjour Soixante-Neuf, why Gibbs over Monreal?

3. Hi Norfolk… because I’m a ‘scoundrel’ 🙂 but seriously, I think Gibbs gives us a little bit more in experience, he also gives us a little bit more in oace on the wings and may be able to contain Hazard. Just a few euros worth of insight there for you NG 🙂

4. 1 hour and 45 minutes to kick off….. can’t wait to watch the game.

Thanks Norfolk, its great to have some proper football back.

I think we’ll win, but we won’t have overcome Jose’s hex until we beat them in the EPL.

I am looking forward to seeing how The Ox progresses this season, let’s hope he can stay fit and have the confidence to run at defenders – I’d like to see him outshine Hazard today 😀

6. The Cockie Monster says:

Cheers Inbred !. 😆

No MWG for me, that will be West Ham !…………….saying that I would like a nice close 7-0 to the Arse !.

I reckon `69er should go and live in Calais and walk about with a sandwich board with a photo of Totnumb on it !…..that will keep make the refugees board up the channel tunnel to stop any poor bastard trying to come here !.
    “The Mayor of Calais promised us that Britain is the land of milk and honey, yet Totnumb looks like the land of piss and shit ! ”

Get on it `69er !…….like a blow job from a crocodile……make it snappy !.

7. Teams are announced: You were right NG

Arsenal XI: Cech, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Ozil, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ramsey, Monreal, Cazorla, Bellerin, Coquelin.

Chelsea XI: Courtois; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry, Azpilicueta; Matic, Fabregas; Ramires, Willian, Hazard; Remy.

No Giroud?

9. NB, Arsene always accepts my suggestions. 😀

I have just read that Jack has picked up an injury!!!

GreT work Norfolk
    Thanks very much
    That would be my team so very happy

chavs have just arrived at Wembley

Good post NG and you got the team almost 100%, well done sir

Come on Arsenal!!!! MuST win today

maurinho looks REALLY insane, scary!!

Cech and Cesc will be booed today

who is the black fellow shaking hands? that’s not Prince William

What’s the matter with cesc? He keeps falling over. Is he sick?

Fecking Ivanobitch

Whoooaaaaa what a fijish

18. Ha ha the chavs are tackling each other..

19. Lovely stuff…. but be played at a hell of a pace. What was said about friendly and not a MWG?

20. Ant says:

Eddie, that was David Rocastle’s son shaking hands with the teams.

Enjoyed that strike no end. Think Theo makes us lightweight in these games and is causing us issues as we are not looking to ping the ball up pitch to get on the front foot. Much harder to work our way through the middle of the park. Especially with Ramires hacking at everyone.

ant – really??!! Wow, nice looking lad
    is he a Gooner?

23. Eddie, only nearly 100%? Where did I go wrong?

NG – poo! you got it 100%!! I missed Ramsey in your selection, but he is there. Blimey, Big will have to fight for his PreMatch spot 🙂

I keep on worrying that Cecil might forget he is playing for us now

Enjoyable first half – some neat, clever football and great goal from Oxo. 🙂

Is Walcott playing?

So – nor Big Radish pre-match, but instead we have a good Post from Little Wurzel. 🙂

Ponce on😃

Phew, cech didn’t forget

We want Jeff
    We want Jeff
    😀

Not Arteta surely? That’s the last sub we want with the game at this stage 😦

Arteta for the Ox smells of playing to defend a lead …. risky strategy! We’ve just lost all our pace in attack.

All speedy outlets off
    No like
    Phone Jeff 😀

Rasp
    Echo 😀

Oh yeah? And how many times last season we were winning and still chasing the game, and conceding? At least twice

Stay calm and concentrate and win

😆😆😆

37. HISTORY….. who said it wan’t a Must win…. fucking brilliant.

38. Hope a couple of players take a selfie with the trophy ha ha

39. Red Arnie says:

nice one, Norfolk. 🙂

enjoyed the game, deserved the win and the trophy, and lucky to escape without major injuries. 🙂

40. Red Arnie says:

OK, now, GN5.

How many times have Arsenal won the FAC and Charity Cup in consecutive years, and how many times have other teams done the same?

41. Whoopeee! One nil to the Arsenal! One nil to The Arsenal!

Chew on that Jose !

42. IanRealGunner says:

Arsene blanking Mou at the end – priceless

43. Aaron says:

All the way!
    Put the feather in that cap Arsene.

Could have score 2 more in the closing.

moaNinHo is a classless tool.

4 trophies on the trot! lol

Go Gunners…..

44. Shard says:

My favourite part of the post game stuff was Mourinho pretending to be so gracious that he’d wait in line to shake Arsene Wenger’s hand and Wenger just walked out behind him 🙂

The commentators (Stuart Robson) played to Jose’s script but we know what the truth is.

They spent the whole game either playing up Chelsea and Mourinho’s achievements or making excuses for them. Their fitness, their fouls etc.

But I thought we played a very good game and were generally speaking quite clearly better than them. Happy to not get any injuries, happy to have won, happy at Arsene’s snub. Happy day.

The septuple is on!

45. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha ha ha. 🙂 🙂 🙂

46. Red Arnie says:

congrats on the starting lineup, Norfolk. 🙂 well done.

47. Was that an MWG? By the look on Terry’s face at the end, it was for them!!

If I was a chav supporter I’d be worried, with strikers like Remy, Moses and Falcao, they can’t afford an injury or suspension for Costa.

48. Thanks Arnie, it’s all guess work. 😀

49. Ant says:

Eddie, See quote below from Ryan Rocastle in an answer to a question from an Arsenal fan..
    I was at the Spurs semi-final at Old Trafford six weeks after your dad’s tragic passing. The continuous chanting of Rocky moved me to tears, so it must have been amazing and so moving for you at only 9 to be the mascot at Cardiff for the final?

“To be honest, that was the day I became a proper Arsenal fan. Before then I always followed them a bit because Dad did but was not that into it. Then being the mascot was an amazing experience, I still remember it very clear, I was sad that we lost but the day was incredible, one I’ll never forget no doubt.”

50. Shard says:
  51. Alexis is back to training tomorrow.

52. Shard says:

But he wants more successful.. I too want more successful 🙂

Arnie,

I don’t keep the history of all teams played in the Charity Shield – only Arsenal.

It was our 21st appearance and our record is 13 wins 7 losses and one shared.

It was the 4th time we have won it 2 years in a row.

1930 & 1931
    1933 & 1934
    1998 & 1999
    2014 & 2015

2014 & 2015 is the only occasion we have won both the shield and the FA Cup.

In the 30’s we only missed being in the Shield game twice – 1932 & 1939.

We won in 1999 without winning either the FA Cup or the League – why you ask – well United won the double in 1998/9 and we finished 2nd in the League so we played United in the Shield game and beat them 2-1.

54. Shard says:

LOL…This gets better. Mourinho saying the best team lost and that Arsenal were defensive. This is hilariously good stuff.

55. Shubham says:

Brilliant result. I really wanted to shut Moaninho up. Talks too much. Could have done them 3-0. Keep the faith and let’s fight for the title….

thanks Ant, that info made me smile

Apparently the better team lost 🙂 classless prick

60. Red Arnie says:

🙂 🙂 🙂

GN5. I will find out more. I think this is the first time, but need to check thoroughly

61. Shard says:

Did it seem to anyone else that at times we were almost playing a 442 today? With Walcott and Ozil in the Henry and Bergkamp roles.

62. The Cockie Monster says:

I recorded the game and have yet to see it due to inconsiderate family BBQ !…………..and Shard !……dont give me all this 442….433….4321…..4312 crap !…..I`m old school and prefer it when we play eleven versus eleven !.

63. Shard says:

Cockie

It’s not crap.

It’s ‘tactical bollix’ 🙂

64. The Cockie Monster says:

Actually ! ….life is full of inconsideration where watching Arsenal is concerned !……BBQ`s …..Weddings ……Work……Funerals……Sex……..actually, forget the last one, being able to multi-task for two minutes is no problem for a man of my ability !.

65. Shard says:

Now THAT is some tactical bollix!

66. The Cockie Monster says:

Hahaha….yes Shard !……although, Tactical Bollix could be the technical name for my 2 minute multi-tasking Arsenal watching/lovemaking !. 😀

67. The Cockie Monster says:

Obviously we are on the same wavelength there !. 😆

68. The Cockie Monster says:

And !…..Obviously, you (Shard) being an Indian ( fcuk, I hope I got that right !)……from the land that gave us the Kama Sutra …..you are most likely to be good at Multi-Tasking/Tactical Bollix as well !. 😀

69. Shard says:

Cockie

The 442 with visions of Bergkamp and Henry counts as foreplay for me. So bring on the multi tasking. (Not you obviously. In general 😀 )

In short I rather enjoyed that.

I didn’t think we were particularly brilliant, but we won. Theo showed why we need Olivier. Of proved he is ready to step up. Santi just oozes class as does Ozil.

As for Maureen’s complaints about having the possession and being more proactive with “organised football” it’s your squad Maureen, you signed Remy and Falcao, and sold Lukaku. You pick a team that has two players capable of unlocking defences and wonder why they are nullified.

GiE – never you mind my Santi, you tell us what you think of Cech’s performance for us? I was seriously impressed. I have seen him before, of course, but never watched him with appreciation. And boy oh boy is he cool or what? He had huge impact on our defenders, I am sure they were more composed than usual

Wenger on Karim Benzema rumours…

No, nothing is happening. Honestly no. I don’t know who brings that up. Is it Spanish media or English media? I don’t know.

Copyright 2015 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to http://www.arsenal.com as the source

73. Red Arnie says:

GiE. “Theo showed why we need Olivier”. I would not have said that, because it is getting a bit predictable. To be fair, Theo did not manage to get into shooting positions, so the jury is still out. IMO. 🙂

However, “Theo through the middle” is losing a bit of its charm.

74. Red Arnie says:

This was the first, and only, time Arsenal did the FA double (Cup and Charity Shield) two consecutive years.

Unfortunately, one other team has also done that. Spuds 1961-62.

Eddie I think that’s what’s known as “confirmation bias”. Did Cech do anything better today than any of our other keepers could have done?

My answer is no, and he got away with a flap that had it been Szczesny would be used to say something like “doubts still remain”.

But that doesn’t mean I don’t think Cech isagoid signing I just find the love in a little bit sickening.

Evening all

I was a bit disapointed in that. I thought we gave an inferior team to much of the ball and did not indulge in enough one on one take ons.

Its time we realised we are much better and start making them grovel.

However, despite playing with the handbrake, our defending was top notch.

Morinio is such a creep with that shaking our players hands stunt. He reminds me of this geezer who hangs around Bounds Green and walks with you when your not looking. The other day he collared me as I was walking to the tube and started asking “Have you ever googled Joan Collins at 75 Terry? Smashing mate”

Despite me telling him I was a member of the local Conservative Club and I found the film The Bitch unworthy of those who play squash, he wouldnt leave alone. Claiming they should do a remake with Joan reprising the role in her underwear, and he taking the part of Oliver Tobias, though he looks more like a man from Rochdale.

So I now do an Arsene and walk behind him. The last time he caught on, so for about five minutes we walked round each other in a circle until we got so dizzy he walked straight into a lamp post and I confusingly and accidently walked into a lady of the nights flat. My trial is next month.

Take that Morinio

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring.

78. Red Arnie says:

79. Red Arnie says:

GiE. Too much agreement. Nevertheless I have to agree with you re. Cech as well. 🙂

Who knew we played in pale green shorts?

83. I felt a bit like this commentater when the Ox scored yesterday.

84. Translation to the above video:

Mezut to Walcott, walcott to Chamberlain….. CHAMBERLAIN, CHAMBERLAIN, CHAMBERLAIN…. Maureen take that you fucker. oooOOOOHHHHH…. the great ARSENAL, the great ARSENAL CHAMBERLAIN You genious Wenger… Maureen, who’s the expert in failure now, you dickhead. Maureen gets his cream crackers squeezed by Wenger… Maureens mana hunas have just shrunk. Wenger is the one….

look nb, lets forget about Jose. It was our game, our win and our trophy! Feck him, the loser

Ok. Four options for the week:

1. Take the piss out of Maureen and his little blue shoes ALL week
    2. Take the piss out of Maureen and his little blue shoes ALL week
    3. Take the piss out of Maureen and his little blue shoes ALL week
    4. Take the piss out of Maureen and his little blue shoes ALL week

87. The Cockie Monster says:

## BREAKING TRANSFER NEWS ##

Chelsea are in the process of buying Arsenal`s parked Bus from yesterdays Community Shield match !……..the Bus is undergoing an MoT and is expected to concluded within the next few days !…………..Jose Mourinho : ” It is a special Bus and at £50M it is some ting which we need to shore up our defence and due to FFP ( Financial Fair Parking) we will have to sell a couple of our old Busses to comply !.”

yes micky, make it all about jose. I didn’t even notice his shoes, now I have to check them INSTEAD of celebrating our victory

they are not little blue shoes, they are trainers

90. Eddie… Considering t was only a ‘friendly’ and not a ‘MWG’ , we seem to be getting a great deal of pleasure from the win. hahaha

91. That game was about Arsene and Maureen…. it couldn’t have been anything else with the history between them and 13 games without a win.

Eddie
    Little blue shoes. Fact

NB
    I suspect those saying it was not a MWG were cowards who thought we’d lose and believed, reasonably, that losing would bring the Wenger Outers out 🙂

93. Red Arnie says:

Motning all.

Micky. I think you are right about cowards. 😛

94. Shard says:

#Marrinered

nb – I never said it was a friendly. A MWG all the way

Great win. Could have easily been 4-2 to us if all chances had been taken so I am not accepting any of that “we didn’t take our chances” rubbish from Maureen or Chav fans.

Maureen has no class whatsoever. I still can’t believe that some of the media fall for his charades. This shaking hand thing was so hypocritical and we all know had nothing to do with respect or being dignified in defeat but was all about everyone noticing him. I say shame on any pundit or Journo who doesn’t see this as it ridicules their intelligence.

Wenger is right respect needs to be made generally first. Why do the media always make it about the silly little handshake as if it excuses all Maureens disrespectful jibes as long as he does it.

You could see the difference in class between the 2 managers the minute they lined up in the tunnel. AW was smartly dressed to respect the occasion at Wembley while Maureen looked like an extra in a Nick Love film.

On another note, and sorry to pick a fight, but I have to take issue with the pro Ollie / less pro Theo gang. Theo may not be the striking answer we need, I have always accepted that. Having said that he has had maybe only 3-4 games as the starting striker and for some that is enough to say that they have lost faith in him in the role. Is that enough game time to make a judgement?

Further it seems to be that Giroud is the touted answer to the Walcott failure in the role. Giroud had a couple of stinkers last year in his 3rd full season with us when he has had lots of game time as a striker. How is he allowed to get a reprieve then in his 3rd full season when Theo doesn’t after3-4 games?

As I said Theo may not be a top class striker in the making but for me neither is Giroud and he has had far more chances to prove himself in the role, so I feel more comfortable saying he is not the striker to push us to the EPL title than Theo is, who I still feel has not had enough time in the role to make a proper judgement call. I don’t dislike Ollie as some would make out and feel he has his place with us as a 2nd / 3rd choice striker but not 1st choice at this level.

97. Oh GoonerB you could have warned me you were writing an epic comment, I could have used it as a post 😦

98. As it is we have a new post from Steve Palmer just published ……

99. Or maybe it didn’t publish cos my computer crashed help!!!!

100. Shard says:

GoonerB

Agreed about Mourinho and the press.

On Walcott vs Giroud. It’s not just a case of Walcott not being given the chance, in which you are correct. But that Walcott has never exhibited the attributes that would indicate he’ll make a great striker. (which is probably why he’s not played there often) His close control isn’t great (though improving), and his general involvement in building up play is poor.

Playing him in the centre also seems to not make the most of what he is good at. Stretching the defense with his speed, and the quality of runs as he cuts inside. My guess is he’ll be a good option for the lesser sides, but will offer less than Giroud against the better teams.

Giroud too is limited, but he’s always involved, always improving, and some of the quality of his runs in and around the box is very very good. Like yesterday he found some room to get a shot off. Though his finishing, like yesterday, isn’t great and he can’t usually create his own shot because he can’t run away from a defender.

However, I think of Alexis as our prime striker. Ronaldo plays for Real Madrid on the left. Messi plays from the right. They are both the main goalscorers for their teams. So, I think we can win the title with Giroud as our striker. But he needs some rest and if Walcott and Welbeck can provide adequate quality between them, then that should be fine.

101. There is a New Post everyone …..

102. Chelsea’s association with what was originally the Football Association’s Charity Shield is longer than that of most clubs. Stamford Bridge hosted the first ever match of its kind, played between the masters of the Football League, Manchester United, and the Southern League winners, Queen’s Park Rangers.