Benzema for Koscielny anyone?

Just a little poser with a twist to follow on from Micky’s post.

I feel we need a top striker but am scratching my head as to who we can get that is :-

1 Top class and able to bring that class to the more robust EPL.

2 Potentially available (i.e current employers are willing to consider selling).

3 Their price is not over-inflated and represents true market value.

4 Their wage expectation is not over-inflated.

5 The player has an interest in joining us.

Most of the viable options have some question mark hanging over them with one of these questions. I have ruled out Suarez and Aguero as we will just not get them from those clubs, even though they tick every other box. Looking at some of the other candidates (that I like) my observation would be as follows:-

Cavani – Likely to be able to adapt to the EPL as he is a reasonable physical specimen. However he is over-priced by PSG due to over-paying for him. Unsure of any real player interest in joining us. Is he still one of the world’s best or has he slipped down a notch? Most likely factor to prevent transfer is PSG’s and his unrealistic expectation with transfer fee and wages respectively.

Lewandowski – Seems top grade and will likely adapt to the EPL due to his physical attributes. However he doesn’t seem surplus to requirements at Bayern and I have not heard of any interest on his behalf, so an unlikely option due to this.

Aubemayeng – Not yet a top proven striker but I feel there is a bit of the “Thierry- convert from decent winger to top striker – Henry’s” about him so would be a very good punt. Wages and transfer fee likely to be reasonable, however recent statements from Dortmund seem to be telling us to do one so this is looking less likely.

Higuain – Seems top class but maybe will not cut it in the EPL, and was considered second to Benzema when at Real so is he truly world class? Recent Napoli chairmen statements will likely make his transfer unlikely.

Benzema – Not without its difficulties but I still feel our best bet. Real seem to be looking for a shiny new toy so he could become surplus and may feel he doesn’t want to play second fiddle. I feel the club willingness and player desire may possibly be there. Players deemed surplus at Real, (and Barca for that matter…Aleeeexiiis 🙂 ), are often still top players but are just victims of the Galactico recycling project. Is a physical specimen so should cut it in the EPL and has excellent link up play to fit with our (well Micky’s and my J ) desire to play with a fluid front 3.

Here is the twist……….

Real seem interested in Kos. Now if Kos said to AW no thanks I love it here then stop it right there and then and move forwards based on him staying. But if Kos expresses a slight interest that shows his head may have been slightly turned then maybe AW should say to Real “You only get him if Benzema is part of the deal”.

I love Kos but in my mind there are maybe 2-3 excellent alternatives to him at a reasonable price out there. The top striker position seems to be scarce and hard to fill at present, more so than the CD position IMO. Is it easier to replace Kos than it is to get a top striker in a straight off deal? Maybe this is our best, if not only, chance of getting that top striker in a reasonable deal.

So what do you guys think?

Written by GoonerB

100 Responses to Benzema for Koscielny anyone?

Sorry all, crap English. I did it in a hurry. Was initially going to be a comment but I thought I would expand it slightly and send as a post instead, but it was slightly rushed. Hope you get the general gist anyway.

2. RC78 says:

Keep Kos at all Cos(ts)…Sorry for the bad joke but I just had my coffee…

If we want a striker (which we do not need imo), let us actually focus on Forwards that can play as 9 1/2 and from the flanks as well…like Reuss or Pedro or Aubemayang or Meertens or even Sterling…

Benzema is a quality striker but trust me (I follow him since his young Lyon days and in the French team), he is not what we need…He will step on Ozil or Sanchez toes…If you want to get a player “a la Benzema” who can play as a playmaker as well, then go for….Ibrahimovic who could be allowed to leave PSG if an offer comes in…

Now if you want to get a Cavani or a Lewandowski, you have to sell Giroud or Wellbeck

3. ‘morning all,

Ah! Just as Peaches promised, a cracker from GB. Thank you.

Benzema? Yes! For Koscielny? No!

If there are “2-3 excellent alternatives to him at a reasonable price out there” let Real pick one of them. We should not be considering selling any of our top players.

Buying big name strikers doesn’t always work out well, Falcao for instance.

4. RC78 says:

GB – great post btw

5. RC78 says:

If you want a French striker at all costs, then why not splash on Lacazette or Fekir who can play wingers, 9 1/2 and strikers…

6. alex says:

No thanks for Kos swap, he is too important for us. How about Lacazette? He seems a good match.

7. Good morning girls…. so we may be getting a midfielder from Juve…. but his name isn’t Pogba!

Is it just me thinking this or is Lyon playing at the Emirates Cup more than a coincidence because Lacazette will be here… in London…. agree terms…. have a physical…. sign on the dotted line????

GB

You are about to choke, so brace for the Heimlich manoeuvre

I say No Deal. Look, this hurts, it really does, I mean not swapping a boring old defender for a top notch goalscorer, but unless as you rightly say Kos actually wants to leave, then a settled defence is simply too important.

Sure, there are other defenders out there, but understanding and playing time together is vital.

9. RC78 says:

Lacazette to stay at Lyon 😦 to play with new recruit Beauvue…

We can maybe try with Fekir who is an outstanding winger

10. I’m a big fan of Lacazette… very Henry-esque! League 1 top scorer last season, If anyone could persuade him to join us then Arsene could.

11. Has Theo signed a new contract yet?…. I’ve been rather busy recently and unable to keep on top of the news.

12. RC78 says:

NB – no contract yer for Theo and Lacazette to stay at Lyon unless an offer over 40 Mln…

Ah but RC
    We could offer them Sanogo in part exchange for Lacazette with, say, £39M 🙂
    Or Ollie plus £?

Excellent, Wimbledon starts today
    Come on Andy Murray and the good looking girls 🙂
    (oh come on lads, you know it’s true)

15. RC78 says:

– Sanogo is going to Lille on loan
    – Lacazette will be sold for straight cash because Lyon is cash-savy. You may be able to do Gnabry + Rosicky on loan + 30 Mln

16. Micky you have the priceless ability to reduce sport to it’s vital essentials, as far as football is concerned it’s strikers and for tennis it’s crumpet.

I’m off to watch a bit of Wimbledon, only thing is it’s that bloody Djokovic playing and I can’t stand him.

Will comment later guys. Bit of a knot ere till then.

Norfolk

I’m a simple fellow with simple needs

Petr Cech is an Arsenal player 🙂

Cech this out — I guess sometimes the journalists do get it right.

………………………………………………………………………………………….

Petr Cech agrees to join Arsenal

Petr Cech has agreed to join Arsenal from Chelsea on a long-term contract for an undisclosed fee.

The 33-year-old goalkeeper made over 400 appearances during 11 years at Stamford Bridge, winning multiple club and personal honours. He also won the Premier League Golden Glove award on three occasions.

A seven-time Czech Footballer of the Year, Cech made his international debut in 2002. He currently has 114 caps for his country – four short of countryman Karel Poborsky’s all-time record.

Cech began his career in the Czech Republic with Chmel Blsany, before moving to Sparta Prague. He joined Rennes in France in 2002, before arriving in the Premier League with Chelsea in 2004.

Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger said: “Petr Cech is a player that I have admired for a long time and I am very pleased that he has decided to join us. He has proven over many seasons that he is one of the outstanding keepers in the world and he will add great strength to our squad.”

New signing Cech said: “I’m really excited about joining Arsenal Football Club and can’t wait to join up for pre-season. I have the same commitment to football, the same motivation and the same hunger for success as I had at the beginning of my career, and I love the challenges brought by the top quality players you face while playing in the Premier League. When Arsène Wenger spoke to me about his ambitions for this club, and how he saw me as part of this team, the decision was clear.”

Cech has completed his medical and will join up with his new team-mates shortly to begin preparations for the 2015/16 season.

Cech’s Arsenal squad number will be revealed soon through Arsenal’s official Instagram account.

Everyone at Arsenal would like to welcome Petr to the Club.

The transfer is subject to the completion of regulatory processes.

Copyright 2015 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to http://www.arsenal.com as the source
    29 Jun 2015

21. Keep Kos, buy Benzema.

We no longer have to get rid of our best players, end of.

Cech in, loving that!

22. RC78 says:

Official: Ospina to leave AFC as a consequence of Cech’s arrival
    Official: PiG is going to have to work his socks off and he might be able to improve under Cech’s tutelage

23. With all due respect to Arsenal ‘keepers of the past and present, in my opinion Petr Cech could just become our greatest goalie ever.

Cech could be better than my all-time favourite, Jack Kelsey, better than Pat Jennings, Bob Wilson, David Seaman and even Mad Jens. 😀

This could be a very significant signing in relation to our challenge for the top prizes in European Football.

Norfolk, wonders will never cease – we actually agree on something. I watched Jack Kelsey (from under the clock) in the majority of his home appearances.

I also hope that your assumption that Cech will be our greatest keeper comes true.

Great news on Cech

I know I voted against a new gk, but I’ve just changed my mind. Fantastic signing 🙂

Wow, didn’t realize he is only 33. Definitely another Pat Jennings moment

26. Shubham says:

Cech from Chelsea! seems a bit strange. Knowing Maureen, never thought it will happen. Anyways a great addition to the team. 2 more good signings (DM & CF) will get us competing for the double. COYG!

GB – Kos for lazy Benzema? I won’t bother answering this, sorry.
    otherwise an excellent post 🙂

As Fats at 3:58 says – we don’t need to sell top players anymore

looks like we’ve signed that tattooed pisshead Vidal

Arturo Vidal’s move to Arsenal is 90% done according to reports in Spain.

Despite the emergence of Francis Coquelin, Arsene Wenger is in the market for a midfielder in Vidal’s mould, with the Chilean overtaking Morgan Schneiderlin as his primary target.

29. fatgingergooner says:

Im still thinking this Vidal rumour is a smokescreen and Wenger is working on something else. I’d happily take him, but not sure it will happen.

If Wenger didnt sign a HM when we had Arteta and Flamini, then im not totally convinced he will sign one now we have Arteta, Flamini and Coquelin. Maybe next year when Arteta and Flamini leave we will get someone in.

30. utter tool says:

A fine post, GoonerB, thanks.

Along with the majority, I’d say a definite ‘no’ to shifting Kos anywhere.
    Also, I think we need a far more mobile CF than Benzema if we are going to buy one.
    Short, powerful and with the venom of a black mamba is what we need.

I quite fancy a punt at Tevez. He might be a lot cheaper than many of the other options and works his a^se off. Would Juve let him go? Probably not, so I’ll not get any unrealistic hopes up. 🙂

31. utter tool says:

Wouldn’t it be great if Cech can rub off on Szczesny and our goalkeeping issues are solved for the next 15 years?

32. utter tool says:

Doesn’t sound like Theo is leaving anyway……….

Theo leaving?

JC update

Older bro Jon saw JC today and he seems to be loving receiving cards from all over (even if he’s not sure who they’re all from!).

Jon said that there are some big effort/amusing creations which have tickled JC’s fancy and the cards from abroad have also hit the spot, too. I’m so looking forward to seeing them at the start of the season.

Thank you all ever so much again. Hugely appreciated by the Vines boys.

Please don’t click on this if you offended by bad language.

36. The Cockie Monster says:

We all think that GN5, Kelsey, Norfolk and Raddy are old Gooners with hundreds of years of support between them, but JC makes them look like they could become a new boy band called…….One Dire Erection !. 😆

37. Sav from Australia says:

We can’t sell Koscielny, surely? hehe
    Who cares about Benzema, our home grown lads are young and hungry. Lets give them a chance. Although RC has a good point about wide forwards.

I see the Cech deal has finally eventuated. The one and only time the media reports and smokescreens were correct. This surely strengthens the first team. Who else can come in – who is available – and strengthen the first team? Reus? Vidal? This football manager stuff is difficult.

38. Sav from Australia says:

@Utter Tool
    Tevez is going home to Boca.

Peru defender Carlos Zambrano was sent off for catching Charles Aranguiz with his follow-through

My new sleep patterns are very good for me but crap for blogging.

Light mornings must equal early mornings surely?

Morning all, thanks for the comments on the post. Just a couple of thoughts. I was never really buying into the Kos for Benzema idea anyway. Just thought I would raise it to see the response 🙂

I also feel that that Ollie is our only pure striker at present. I feel this season has shown us the best he has to offer and for me that is not quite enough to push us to the EPL title or ECL.

We don’t currently have a player in this position that is proven world class with “X” goals a season in them. If we stick with what we have got then I feel, in order to win the EPL, one of Walcott or Danny would need to explode and have a break-through season as a striker. They are not yet proven in this position but their potential exceeds Ollies IMO who, as mentioned, I feel has reached his limit.

Not sure about recruiting more 9 1/2 players. Isn’t this what we have already got in most of our forward players outside of Ollie? maybe this is ok if it is a player of suitable quality that is converting into a striker, (like Henry), but this then carries a similar risk to expecting Walcott or Danny to move into the strikers position more permanently and turn it on this season from the word go.

Anyway sorry to ruin banter morning but this was my only chance to comment. Toodaloo for now.

No banter GB, straight to the nitty gritty

AW clearly rates Theo as a better striker than Ollie or else he wouldn’t have picked him for FAC Final

Ok, against non bus parkers maybe, but that is still the majority of games, and anyway, Arsene is wrond to think Ollie is better against the bus and Theo doesn’t have enough space.

Against the bus, Theo is the better option. Very few opportunities will come in these games and they will appear on the rare occasion the bus moves out of the depot, and we hit them on the break

ie Theo is the better bet in every situation 🙂

Chas

I’ve been staying up a bit later with the grown ups

The great thing about Cech actually signing, is that we now know that this window all rumours are true 🙂

50. fatgingergooner says:

GB,

In fairness to Ollie it was the early part of the season which cost us the title and he was injured for a lot of that, as were many of our other top players.

I do have some worries about his stamina though. He’s faded during all the seasons he’s been with us and always seems to go through a bad patch when he’s not quite as sharp. This isn’t always his fault as Wenger seems to play in every single game.

I don’t think we necessarily need a new striker, I just think we need to rotate our forward players a bit more and use Walcott and Welbeck in certain types of matches so that Ollie is fit for the others. I also think a proper pre season will help massively with keeping our players fit, which is key for our chances. Also no CL qualifier is big for us.

The only player I will worry about is Sanchez because Chile have gone all the way to the final. I think Wenger needs to make do without him for the first month and make sure he gets a proper rest.

51. RC78 says:

We do not need a new ST/CF…We have OG, TW14, Wellbeck and we can alsuo

If we want an attacking player, we need to go for FW/W that can come off the sides and score for us or that can play right behind a main ST/CF….

RC
    I think the key is that with Cech we’ve saved five or six goals conceded, now we need to find an additional ten at the other end.

Where they come from is as much down to availability. We have a flexible enough system to adapt to the addition of a worldy wherever he plays

micky – ONE true rumour out of how many ? 🙂

I am still upset about GB’s plan to flog Kos and RC78’s getting rid off Santi. Thank Dennis those 2 are not in charge

Arturo Vidal

55. RC78 says:

Eddie – If I were in charge, I would definitely get rid of some players to make space for better players if they are available 🙂

Now – listen to this…
    Segio Ramos demanded a transfer from Real Madrid and it seems that he will get it. He has asked to go to the EPL…He has made Man Utd his prime destination but he is not against joining Chelsea or Arsenal apparently…He will be allowed to leave for 50-60 Mln EUR

In the meantime, AW is monitoring the situation of E. Garay 🙂 for 13 Mln EUR…

I hope we get one of these CBs and our defense is sorted:

Cech – Bellerin, RAMOS or GARAY, Kos, Monreal –
    PiG – Debuchy, BFG, Paulista, Gibbs –
    + Chambers 🙂

DM: Coquelin, VIDAL, Arteta, Flamini
    CM: Ramsey, Cazorla, Wilshere, Rosicky

Ha ha ha Eddie

I love it 🙂 The best so far was the Spaniard rolfing at Liverpool signing Andy Carroll

57. Red Arnie says:

lovely post GB, thank you. 🙂

sorry, still knot ear, but reading the comments. No use going back to your post this late, but let me respond briefly to your comment this motning.

when you say “X” goals a year striker, yes we have t least 4 of those. Sanogo – 2 goals a year, Welbz – 5 goals a year, Theo – 10 goals a year, Ollie – 20 goals a year. 🙂

what we need is a guaranteed 30-goals a year striker. A 20 goal a year numpty is not an upgrade. 😛

So, Wenger, window-dressing over, Cech in, let us now get down to business. 😛

Micky @7.57 & FGG @8.33, Personally I do think Theo is better in all situations as a striker. I don’t quite subscribe to this “Horses for Courses” rotation of him and Ollie. Theo is certainly better with a team playing a high defensive line for obvious reasons but like you Micky I feel Theo is better against the bus parkers as well.

We really just need 1 striker we can look at and say that is our primary world class striker. Our other options are back up to this guy, not that we have 3 equal first choice strikers who we drop to the bench or play according to the opposition.

I don’t think top clubs with the top strikers think this way. They will play their best striker most often and bring the other guys in if that player is injured or needs a rest. They can then try and plan which games to rest the main striker in so that he is available for the tougher fixtures against better opposition.

Personally I could see Theo, with a full season as striker, bagging 35 goals but I could never envisage that with Ollie. I agree FGG that certain stats back up Ollie and maybe you are right it is all to do with fatigue and if this is managed correctly he will contribute evenly across a season and push us to the title. I don’t believe this to be the case as it stands though.

I would look beyond the pure stats though and analyse how the whole team plays with both Ollie and Theo up top. I would say that our natural game (all the players gelling) is somewhat hindered with Ollie at times but is more fluid and lethal when Theo plays. I feel this is down to how we get the ball to both players.

I don’t think the midfielders play as many forward incisive crisp passes with Ollie up top knowing his limited mobility makes him struggle to exploit forward passes into spaces and channels to run onto the ball. Cue more sideways passes and balls just flung in from wide in the hope Ollie gets his head on it. Sure he has a couple of flicks that come off brilliantly at times but this will never be a consistent enough feature IMO across a season.

Theo on the other hand can exploit the channels and space and allow those midfielders behind to play (Bergkamp-like) defense splitting forward passes. Theo can run onto them turning the defence and either go through on goal himself or get to the ball first and look to supply a team-mate moving into a dangerous position.

Ollie tends to be a back to goal player, with the CD’s at his back, with flicks that sometimes work but which I don’t think come off regularly enough to be as effective as the style of attack play we can achieve with Walcott across a season. I feel it is hit and miss with Ollie rather than a permanently effective system

Danny for me should spend the next or two year being more our multi-functional player who can play right, left, or through the middle. His time to stake a strikers spot may come in a couple of seasons.

For me (with what we have) it is between Theo and Ollie for the strikers role and I only think we can win the league this year if Theo is the main man and manages to hit the heights he is potentially capable of. It is a risk though as we are hoping he can do it across a season as a striker rather than actually knowing, as you would have with some of the other proven strikers in Europe.

I might be wrong but when I break it down to the base level I think that if Theo is not that man then we actually don’t have that man currently and will need to recruit a top striker who is if we want the EPL title.

GB
    100% agree with one major complaint

“Ollie tends to be a back to goal player, with the CD’s at his back, with flicks that sometimes work”

Sometimes work? That is exceedingly generous when describing a footballer who recorded just 3 PL assists all season. That is an appalling stat.

60. RC78 says:

MDD – the season before Ollie had 10 assists, no?

61. D.I.L.Y. says:

Haters gonna hate.

62. Peaches/Rasp, possible post sent to arsenalnuts

Thank feck you armchair experts aren’t allowed within a million miles of the team. 😆

CECH – I CAN WRITE MY ARSENAL STORY NOW
    Petr Cech has revealed how close he was to joining Arsenal more than a decade ago.

The Czech Republic goalkeeper achieved legendary status at Chelsea by winning 13 major trophies during an 11-year spell at Stamford Bridge. But he might have spent that time in north London had things turned out differently.
    “There was a chance before I went to France [to join Rennes] that I could sign for Arsenal but I was only 18 or 19 and at that time Czech Republic were not in the European Union,” Cech told Arsenal Player.
    I had a few teams who were interested but Arsenal was one of the main ones

“You needed a work permit and the conditions were to play 75 per cent of the first-team games for the national team, which at the time was impossible for me to get. In the end I went to France because I couldn’t get a work permit.
    “I had a few teams who were interested but Arsenal was one of the main ones. I was so excited because of the Premier League and big clubs but unfortunately it was not the time for me to come.
    “It was later with Chelsea, and I’m obviously grateful for that, but you can never prepare the ways in your life and you’ll never know where you’ll end up. Here we are and I hope that I can replicate all I’ve managed to achieve in the past decade.
    “If I could have got the permission, maybe my story would have been a completely different story but here we are 10 or more years later, and now we can write the story again.”

Card sent to JC today ……. It’s got a pop-up Emirates Stadium inside …. beat that 😆

Thanks, Rasp.
    Jon loved his trip to see JC yesterday, partly because the cards have made him so happy.
    Thanks again to all.

68. utter tool says:

Ha ha ha, that’s brilliant

My daughter has been showing me some brilliant piss takes of Kanye West post Glastonbury, but they’re on her facebook so can’t share

Ha ha again. Chas, I think this site is fortunate to have such visionary, illuminated know-it-all armchair fans like me and GB
    🙂

Chas
    The Jon card thing is down to you, so he owes you beer 🙂
    Well done. A very nice thought

* sorry, JC card thing

73. The Cockie Monster says:

Kudos to Rasp for the pop up Emirates Stadium inside the card and it will take some beating !………I had the option of two and it was a toss up between the one I sent and the one of Giroud with a pop up cock inside !……one which would have taken some strangling !……….could save that one for Peaches next birthday !. hahaha

74. Ant says:

Chas 8.13 is a classic.

My JC card had him as front page news as our new £50m signing with a 50 CHURCHILL shirt and I think based on Micky’s armchair knowledge and the price, he would undoubtedly agree that JC is the solution and much better on the break than Theo?

75. utter tool says:

76. utter tool says:

77. utter tool says:

78. utter tool says:

79. utter tool says:

80. utter tool says:

81. utter tool says:

82. utter tool says:

83. utter tool says:

90 years old 🙂

84. VCC says:

Happy Birthday JC. Ava G8 day.

micky’s new sleeping pattern is worrying. Get up you lazy bones!!

Happy Birthday JC

The proposed transfer of ex-Arsenal striker Gervinho from Roma to United Arab Emirates club Al-Jazira has fallen through after the Ivory Coast international’s excessive demands. Requests included a helicopter and a private beach as part of the deal.

Eduardo Vargas has reportedly emerged as a surprise target for Arsenal, with Alexis Sanchez trying to convince Arsene Wenger to purchase his Chile team-mate.

The Napoli striker spent last season on loan at QPR, but only managed four goals in 21 appearances.

But the 25-year-old has hit form for Chile at the Copa America, netting twice against Peru to send his country into the final, where they will face Argentina or Paraguay.

And according to reports in Italy, Arsenal are the main contenders for Vargas’ signature, with Sanchez understood to be working hard to convince Wenger to sanction move.

Vargas is likely to cost around £11.3million.

88. RC78 says:

Poldi to Galatasary…Auf Wiedersehen
    Decent goal/min ratio, some glimpse of his killer instinct and cracking shot but not enough to command a first team slot…All ze best to you Mr Podolski

89. RC78 says:

Vidal’s rumours denied by Agent…Schnederlin to Utd on hold…
    Do you think AW has rekindled his interest for the French HM?

RC78 – nope, I don’t think so. I reckon we have already been given a shiny new toy this summer and there won’t be any more signings.

Just Ceching for a post ……………………….. back in a bit