A fine day to be a Gooner

The game

There were a few surprises from the manager, in Walcott out Giroud, in Monreal out Gibbs, in Szczesny out Ospina . Reasons for those changes, was it tactical, or was it just to stop the moaning?

Theo who scored a hat trick in the last game, was really a no brainer. He showed form, he scored goals and he also made Aston Villa’s defence back away from a high line.

Theo, was of course, the reason that Villa couldn’t get going, He was caught offside a few times playing off their last man. But with them knowing his pace, he held them back and they dare not give him a yard. Giroud would have allowed them forward. Shrewd move by Arsene.

As for Gibbs and Monreal, Gibbs injured his shoulder in the last game so a natural change there.

The strange one was the goal keepers, everybody picked Ospina to be Wengers choice, He has done very well, but he is short in height. And you know what Wenger feels about a player who is short πŸ™‚ I believe Wenger wanted to combat the threat of Benteki’s dominance in the air, he of course had Mertsacker’s height but Per is usually a bit slow, and for high crosses Szczesny looked the obvious choice.

Where the Manager usually makes changes around the sixty minute mark, he left it later, I felt he wanted a bigger lead so if he made a tactical mistake a cushion would be in place so we would still win,

Arsenal to a man. played exceptionally well, Theo and Alexis were electric, Bellerin and Monreal played their role as wingbacks superbly for the whole game Merts and Kos were solid, often doubling up to stiffle the threat of Benteke, he didn’t get a chance. Szczesny, after a public row with his Father, complemented the defence but did rush out a few times.

Santi Cazorla, who was voted MOTM, played superbly and ran the show. Mesut Ozil has often been accused of not doing enough but not today he was outstanding Coquelin again showed the strength we have needed in front of the back four, his workrate and determination again has shown why he has a great future. Aaron Ramsey worked very hard he pressed when he could and also worked back as well he is improving with every game.

Alexis Sanchez boought from Barcelona for Β£35 million, what were they thinking, has proved in his goalscoring and his workrate that he was worth every penny, utterly brilliant, in fact they all were.

Goal scorers were Theo Walcott a fine opportunist left foot volley that opened the scoring. Alexis Sanchez scored number two with an exquisite outside the box swerving shot, which will go down as one of the finest goals ever to be scored in an Arsenal cup final. Per Mertesacker’s Β shoulder scored the third and to round up the evenings play substitute Oliver Giroud scored with a magnificent side foot flick past a flailing keeper.

Arsene Wenger got the tactics right, he also got the players right, but most importantly he sent the supporters into ecstasy, and sent them home happy.

Arsenal turned up to day, from the start they were superb, by the end of ninety they had been magnificent, The engraver etched the name of Arsenal for the twelfth time on the sought after FA cup, no other team have ever been on more, but now it sits at The Emirates for the second year running.

A fine day to be a Gooner

Written by Steve Palmer

78 Responses to A fine day to be a Gooner

Well summed up Steve

2. PV4 says:

For once, we showed what we can do on a global stage. Fast, free-flowing football, sublime class and control all over the pitch. Take note Maureen – this is how the beautiful game is played.

3. ‘morning all,

Oh! What a night! Well early evening actually. πŸ˜€

Well done Steve, all the salient points there.

My Player ratings.

Szczesny 10

Bellerin 10

Merts 10

Koscielny 10

Monreal 10

Le Coq 10

Cazorla 10

Ozil 10

Alexis 10

Ramsey 10

Walcott 10

Subs 10

A couple of quotes from the Telegraph’s Henry Winter:-

“An Arsenal as elegant as it was emphatic”
    “This was sport pure and simple: Sustained technical and tactical, Individual and collective excellence. Arsenal’s desire and dynamism elated the vast swathe of yellow behind one goal and surely most neutrals”.

I have to admit that I couldn’t have put it better myself. πŸ˜€

4. That should read ” an Arsenal victory as elegant as it was emphatic”

5. stevepalmer1 says:

Thank you LB, they certainly done us proud.

6. stevepalmer1 says:

The guys about top board the bus. Its raining but it won’t dampen the occasion.

7. The Cockie Monster says:

Thanks Steve !.

What a fcuking birthday ! πŸ˜†
    Last years final was one of the most stressful I can remember, probably due to the fact that we had lost our 3 previous various finals 2-1.
    I did my usual thing of taping the final and when I expected it to be over asked the missus…”did we win !” ( so I could then watch it in stress free mode knowing we had won but not knowing the score ! )…….the missus said……”no”…….for a split second I was suicidal, before she got out the rest of….” it`s still being played ! “.
    Now, I obviously knew the game had ended in a draw and we were in extra time !, this was agonizing and honestly I went up to my bedroom and hid under the covers shaking like a leaf in stress !……half an hour later, my son came running in from his Shaque D`Amour cheering and I the relief was like heaven and I then watched the game semi-live not knowing the score !.
    This Cup Final was on my birthday and I had run my superstitious 4 mile run which meant we were going to win it, but could I watch knowing all the planets were aligned with it written in the heavens and all the gooner soothsayers cocks hard in a stone henge type circle ?…..no !. Scaredy bastard went to Plymouth to watch Marvels Avengers !……this was another sort of superstitious play as Avengers is how A Wenger`s is pronounced !.
    I got the 5:20 pm showing as I knew this would take me right through the game and more (extra time ), so I could come out of the Cinema and ask the missus….did we win ?.
    Three quarters through the film her mobile kept buzzing and she was on and of of it `till the end of the film !…I had a good feeling about this but couldn`t bring myself to ask what the messages were, but deep down i knew it was my son ( who unlike me is brave to watch live games ! ) texting to say we had won !. Before the film ended my missus said……”well, do you want to know ?”…..I let out an almighty …”YES!”…as I knew she wouldn`t have asked in such a way unless we had won !.
    I promised an Indian take-away to celebrate and driving out of Plymouth was quite surprised how many Gooners wearing colours were around the City center celebrating, there were over a hundred !.
    By the time I had got home and eaten the Ruby and finished watching the “live” game it was gone midnight and so ended my best birthday ever !.
    Anyone else as weird as me in the gooner stakes ?……not quite on the level as chas and ant`s glorious day, but a great one none the less !.

Agree with Micky, I loved it when Koz was appealing for the penalty with shirt over head not knowing BFG had scored….priceless !.

3-0, 4-0 and 5-0……..I reckon Villa must be sick of the sight of……..Right Angles !…………….a builder may get that one !. hahaha

8. The Cockie Monster says:

There`s also another angle of delight that may escaped your thoughts !……….the warm glow and may I say quite aroused feeling I get of knowing how sick and pissed off the Spuds must be feeling !. hahaha

9. The Cockie Monster says:

10. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning Cockie, a very happy birthday mate. I am amazed how you cannot watch a game live, A lifetime supporter and it has to be said we had to wait a while for our first bit of silver, Now two years on the trot. I personally couldn’t miss these games win or lose i have to know when it happens.

I have of course been disappointed at times, quite spells where the Mrs steers clear of me till i have calmed down, but a cup final and you go to the flicks, boy that needs a Doctors help mate πŸ™‚ .

Supporters support in different ways and you are just a little different than others, but your contribution is second to none mate.

Fear not, Glister, no one is as weird as you! πŸ˜€

Well, maybe Terry, I suppose — and at a push VCC — and then there is Rasper – obviously – and when I think about it – you might be pushed hard by the venerable Norfolk and the Camel botherer GoonerB and frankly another ‘incomer’, Micky, is easily your match, and if we extend it to ‘Overseas Weirdness’ – then both Rockydillo and BRandy would jointly walk away with it!

So, you are not alone, my friend! πŸ˜€

12. The Cockie Monster says:

It takes all sorts Steve !. hahaha
    I do go to live games and had I been lucky enough to get a ticket I would have gone, but it`s a weird thing that I`m more stressful when at home and not in safety amongst the fans !.
    It has been proven in the past that there are more Ambulance call outs for suspected heart attacks when England are playing in the world cup than at any other time !………as an Arsenal nut this feeling of stress is multiplied as Arsenal mean much more than England !…..I`ve 999 on speed dial !. hahaha

13. PV4 says:

Aaw, the spuds – the gift that keeps on giving!

Cockie. Drop in on Micky and pick up your birthday money.

I knew it would be a great day. My tour was with guests who were staying in the most expensive hotel in Scandinavia. I arrived with some trepidation as rich customers are always the most demanding but they were lovely. We had a fine morning and they gave me a humungous tip.

Then I had a fine lunch, Mrs Raddy was in good form, the wine was at room temperature, the sofa comfy and my stream perfect and in HD.

A tip ….. for UK TV plus plus there is an free app called Filmon.tv. Excellent quality especially on an iPad.

I used Apple TV to stream from the iPad to the big TV and it was wonderful.

This is a deeply happy Gooner

15. The Cockie Monster says:

Thanks Redders ! πŸ˜† Including yourself it`s good to be amongst fellow nutters !

16. I’m at the Armoury now waiting for the lads to show.

Starting to rain a bit but I don’t care.

No better feeling.

17. The Cockie Monster says:

Ron Vlaar sounds like a klingon warrier !……..he must have thought……”what is this invisible defensive shield technology they have ?”……………it`s called Le Cog Bloque….Qapla !

18. wally says:

That was a wonderful stroll in the park wasn’t it. A lot of fun to watch and then almost boring. Villa were never, ever in it.

I’ve slated wenger in the past for being too stodgy in his thinking and slow to react but he’s really surprised us this year with his decisions and the way we play. So i unabashedly withdraw my comments.

Picking theo up front was brave (and smart) i thot. It would have been easy to pick giroux but….The threat of speed (speed kills) and the ball over the top created acres of space between the defence and midfield and we used it to wonderful effect.

Theo is a very good finisher. If he’s smart he’l stay. He may be able to go elsewhere and get more coin but he’ll not win trophies like this group will.

I also thot Ozil was pure magic yesterday. He has a wonderful feel for where the defender is and his acceleration is much better than he’s given credit for. And Santi was santi! And sanchez….!

Don’t think we’ll do much business in the transfer window, maybe two names. Upward and onward!

19. The Cockie Monster says:

I expect some business but in our current climate, I expect that it will be a case of cherry picking 2/3 absolute quality players….ones that will push us to the next level of competing for the title !…….so that means no more days of Kalstrom klangers !…..we are in the position to mean business !……..I want us to be at such a level that Sofas will be outlawed and a thing of the past !. hahaha

Couldn`t tell from watching on TV, so lads/ladettes of the Wembley experience…….who had the most fans ?….who were the loudest ? and for the AAers at The Emirates watching……how did this years experience compare to last years squeaky bum game ?

20. Talking of transfer window busines, I think one question has been settled. Walcott or Sterling? Can there be any remaining doubt? A fully fit Theo is worth two Sterlings at least.

That is a no-brainer, Norfolk — is that an answer with no brain. πŸ™‚

22. VCC says:

Norfolk…..on yesterdays performance I have changed my mind on the Walcott/Sterling debate. If Theo can maintain that level it’s a no brainer.

RA…….a no brainer is a guy called Cockie. πŸ˜‰

RA…… I think you can be included in that nutters line up πŸ˜€

BOY, is it good to be a Gooner today.

A nutter, VCC, a nutter you say?

We are talking about membership of the Wonderful Warren of Weirdo Wazzocks here.

Pride – pride is the key here – and sod the Zimmer Frames lurkers. πŸ™‚

24. Sav from Australia says:

Well said Steve.

25. The Cockie Monster says:

I like this headline on newsnow !……………”Women ARE better at remembering things than men – and males can boost their memory by helping out more around the home”………………now if only I could remember where I left the TV remote !.

“…..from the start they were superb, by the end of ninety they had been magnificent.”

Excellent, Steve, thanks.

Cockie
    I think we shaded the number of fans but Villa were louder.
    Our singers are in so many different pockets that there are often 3 or 4 groups of fans singing different songs. Also very few songs last long enough for everyone to join in.

Last year was an emotionally turbulent ride which was ultimately joyous. 2-0 down to 3-2 up is such a great experience in itself.

As a football-watching experience, yesterday was almost stress-free.
    We could almost relax and bathe in the eloquent beauty of the football on display.

Both wonderful but in totally contrasting ways. πŸ™‚

Happy Birthday for yesterday, by the way, but I already know you got the present you wanted!

27. The Cockie Monster says:

Know what you mean, chas !. There`s nothing better than coming from behind !…….I mean being 2 nil down and winning 3-2 !. hahaha
    Trouble is when you`re 2 nil down, you have no idea you are going to win 3-2, you can only hope !. In reality we all want us to score first and carry on scoring again and again with no reply !.
    Yesterday was like the perfect storm of football for us…..The Arsenal Artistry Academy !…….there could have only been millions of world wide viewers being impressed with such a display and any who were looking for the first time would have been hooked into Goonerdom !. A display like that would have only helped in new shirt sales of those wondering what team to follow !.
    Arsenal couldn`t have picked a better promotional advertisement for our club if Kroenke had rubbed a magic lamp and a Genie called Saatchi and Saatchi appeared !.

Little something in drafts should you need, standard fare I’m afraid.

29. If anyone fancies it I’ve got a video I took of the players outside Ashburton today. http://youtu.be/iMeojBaef7A

Thanks LB – that will do very nicely!

Hi chas, thanks for the assists update, I just need the FA Cup assists and I can put the widgets to bed for the summer πŸ™‚

Rasp
    Assists

Sanchez for Walcott
    Walcott for Sanchez
    Cazorla for Mertesacker
    The Ox for Giroud
    cheers

thanks Steve, a great summary, brought a smile to my face
    yes, we were brill, no bloody denying it

the only downside of us winning yesterday is……….ask micky

oh yeah, I kept forgetting to mention it – did you all see Sanchez sneaking in Chilean flag?

35. custard says:

I knew before the game that it would be a stroll in the park.

I knew we wouldn’t win the league unlike TMHT who fools no one but himself each season with his outlandish views.

36. arnie says:

lovely stuff, Steve. πŸ™‚

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. never laughed so freely in a long time. πŸ™‚

a couple of minor quibbles.

1. “Fine” day to be a Gooner? I would say bloody fantastic day! πŸ˜†

2. The only surprise really was Walcott in place of Giro. My guess was Theo in place of Rambo. In the event, it was fantastic strategy.

One cup last year, two this year (remember the Comm Shield?), so three next year then. which one, though? The league or the CL? πŸ˜› Onwards and upwards.

if Jackson Martinez rumours are right, we might have started doing business early. On with the show!

what a fantastic day out with Peaches and Rasp! pictures will come in when I can find some time. πŸ™‚

37. arnie says:

My heartfelt sympathies, GiE. πŸ˜›

38. Red Arnie says:

I have just changed my name to Red Arnie. Not to be confused with the Omniscient Sir Redders of Manchester. πŸ˜› Redders OUT! πŸ™‚

The name chane is on Rasp’s suggestion, all blame goe to him. :razz:,

39. Red Arnie says:

Nice to speak to Kelsey the realist. πŸ™‚ combative and independent as ever. πŸ™‚

40. Red Arnie says:

Cockie. brilliant. πŸ™‚

41. stevepalmer1 says:

Custard, unlike you, i knew we had a performance like that in us , but never thought i would see it on the day.

I have to admit, i was very surprised at how we played, pleasantly surprised i might add. Arsenal played the way i knew they could a team effort that can only be described as inspiring, i put that down to the Manager,

Mr Wenger has a way with him where players see him as a Father figure, he promises players that they will be part of a great future, and they believe him. Wenger of course will give every player his chance, as long as they are prepared to wait for him, where that falls down is in the older players or ambitious, unless they fit in straight away, they may not have the chance in the future.

I believe he is usually true to his word where youngsters are concerned, and i also feel he is as honest with those that do not fit.. I feel that some in the squad have been told of their fate, but that he will do all he can for them. I feel he is an honest man, but that he is also a realist. Arsenal is his life, and what is best for the future of Arsenal is paramount.

Some know they will not figure next season, but with Arsene’s ethics they will have enough to live a comfortable life. We will have new signings, and we will have some leave, that’s the way it always works, but now our finances are better, the players will be better, I think its called natural wastage., But that’s the way it’s always been..

42. stevepalmer1 says:

Welcome Red, a fantastic day indeed, Nte Nte all

Red Arnie,
    Took a while, but got it. Red Army as opposed to Communist Arnie πŸ™‚

The Wysteria blossom is simply divine at the moment.

Morning Chas πŸ™‚

And thanks for The Kos Shirt still.

I was wondering what was going through his mind while blinded and screaming for a penalty

“Mmmm, judging by the roar from the fans, sounds like the Arsenal faithful reckon I’ve just won a penalty and probably sealed the win”

Although, being French, he was probably thinking “what’s for lunch?”

The Aquilegia are looking mighty fine, too. πŸ™‚

“Mighty fine” is a bit butch for a ribbon buyer. “Simply Divine” seems more appropriate

49. Lieutenant Bunnyman says:

I’m changing my name to Lieutenant Bunnyman forthwith.

The name change is on Micky’s suggestion, so blame him.

50. Lieutenant Bunnyman says:

Ha ha ha ha

52. Lieutenant Bunnyman says:

I’m not afraid of revealing some of my feminine side, unlike some.

Fuck off. I’ve got purple shoes πŸ™‚

Ok I apologise. Must not speak to you like that, what with being sensitive and shit πŸ™‚

55. Lieutenant Bunnyman says:

56. Lieutenant Bunnyman says:

57. Lieutenant Bunnyman says:

Can we assume Jack was thirsty yesterday morning?

59. Lieutenant Bunnyman mobile says:

I would have thought so.

60. Lieutenant Bunnyman Jr says:

Dad, stop it, you are embarrassing me, I was not peeing in that white bowl.

61. Lieutenant Bunnyman Jr says:

Daddy,

You promised me that you would buy me an ice cream if I did not talk to that Micky man, and Mr Wenger would buy new players, but look at what he said.

“Arsene Wenger has said Arsenal will not spend ‘stratospheric’ money to bolster the squad this summer.

Wenger, however, is not prepared to break the bank in his bid to land a first Premier League trophy since 2004.

I do not want to tell you how much money we have.

I’m gonna cry dad! 😦

62. stevepalmer1 says:

Junior, you will not be disappointed, we will buy, i stake my house on it, A few will go and we may see a reserve move up, but we will certainly spend.

Its not what is in the pot that matters, its where we need players, my guess is a keeper, another striker and a midfielder, whether holding or attacking who knows, but he does like a midfielder.

63. Good morning ladies …. a fine day to be a Gooner indeed SteveP.

Have you heard the one about the Englishman, the German, the Frenchman and the Chilian?

“Boom, Boom, Boom Boom”

64. stevepalmer1 says:

The player’s were talking about winning the league, with a good start we can amass the points that is quite evident, Our results against the top teams have to be even better, but i feel Wenger has designs on Champions League, He seems to talk Premier League but Champions League is the one he wants.

We have a good squad, they showed that the weekend, but we need to add to the spine, Injury i feel will get better, missing Alexis to start the season will not help, but another striker should get us a good start.

I don’t like predicting before i see who’s in and who’s out, but i do feel we are almost ready. Playing Arsenal next season will not be on many ‘s wish list. I think we are nearing Greatness.

65. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning NB, thought about you over the weekend, hadn’t seen your name for a while, hope your well mate.

66. Fine Steve… just mighty fine thanks. We’ve touched greatness before under Wenger and we will definately touch greatness again…. possibly next season. πŸ™‚

yellow peonies – “Β£175 per plant and worth every penny

68. That’s an expensive peony Yvonne? I think you may have paid over the odds……… something that Mr Wenger doesn’t like to do πŸ™‚

oh, nb -where were you all this time, in a boozer?

They are very rare, I imported them from Holland and waited for 3 years for the first flowers to appear. They are out of this world

70. “they are very rare,” ” They are out of this world”

I hope you have called them “Dennis” πŸ™‚

ts ts ts nb, that would be disregarding the first 3 commandments

1.You shall have no other gods before Dennis
    2.You shall not make idols.
    3.You shall not take the name of the Dennis in vain

72. ha ha Yvonne… I apologise for the disrespect!

Morning all …..