Can Sterling play as a number 9 for Arsenal?

I mean, has he ever played in that position at all? I find this an interesting debate. Why do we seem to always compare Sterling with Walcott, surely Sterling plays in a position more akin to Sanchez and if this is the case then I certainly do agree with the suggested ratio that Sanchez is worth at least 2 Sterlings but if Sterling can play CF then things change for me. Walcott worth at least two Sterlings; hmmm, not so sure about that………………..

The main problem that stops us from winning the league as I see it is our inability to get past the parked buses and I don’t mean those leaky old things that teams such as Tim’s nice but dim’s Villa rock up in; I mean, proper dour northern buses such as Sunderland. In these situations Theo is not blessed with enough quality in the close control department to offer a solution and neither does Giroud, so the popular suggestion that each should be picked to start depending on the opposition doesn’t work for me.

So my point is, I don’t believe we have enough up top to win the league with both Walcott and Giroud and if that really is the aim of the club next season then this problem needs to be addressed.

We are being propped up by Sanchez, Cazorla and Ozil but they should be playing with someone up top blessed with the same level of close control that each one of those three have. Not sure who it should be mind you, any suggestions?

Written by LB

283 Responses to Can Sterling play as a number 9 for Arsenal?

1. Morning LB

I don’t think Sterling offers anything better than Theo but I do think we still need another striker but with Giroo, Welbeck, Theo and Alexis, where would he fit in? I quite like the look of Lacazette at Lyon and have thought he would fit into our set up quite nicely. However, we don’t have the place for him. One of the four mentioned would have to go, who though?

2. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all, I voted yes, but i would vote yes for all positions if it meant an improvement.
    Theo gave me the impression, that he is holding out from signing a new contract. from his on top of the bus comments, he said he has England commitments first but was sure that talks with Arsenal could be sorted out.

Wenger has said that Theo is wanted, but he also stated that Theo had been out for a season and has just found top form. Reading between the lines suggests that Theo is playing hardball, He has found his form and has scored goals he is back in the England Managers plans and expects to explode back on the scene and become a world wide superstar, return to Arsenal and demand what he and his agent believe he is worth.

Theo is a talented player, no doubt about that, he may be over his injury problems, but should he get a long term injury with England, he will naturally want to be cared for by Arsenals Physio’s.

Now i know Theo could become the player that we have all hoped for, but if he hasn’t signed by now, i can only assume he has not made up his mind if Arsenal is where he see’s his future.

As for Stirling, he also has a high opinion of himself, i would go as far to say a mirror image of Theo, Stirling too has held back from signing for his club who have made him what he is today, they obviously want to keep him but Stirling’s demands are very high, they would escalate here as well.

Wenger will have his work cut out to resolve the Theo contract so i would imagine a new striker to make Theo rethink his position, we can of course accommodate another top striker as Podolski may be surpluss to requirement. Thats the way i expect Wenger to go

3. ‘morning all, thanks LB this is a theme that will run and run, at least until Sterling either signs a contract renewal at the Bin-dippers or moves on to one of the numerous clubs to which he is being touted by his agent.

Personally I can’t see what the fuss is about, is he really anything special? Not in my opinion.

I can’t see why Arsenal would want him, as you say his position is filled by Alexis, we have Welbeck for the other wing and Theo to alternate with Giroud to suit the requirements of different opponents an different situations.

Wenger’s recent comments make it clear that he sees Walcott playing through the middle and that he is reaching the peak period of his career, why would he let him go now?

Walcott, himself, has said he’s sure the contract situation can be sorted out and hints that he will be happy to stay at the club as the present squad is the best he can remeber. Doesn’t sound to me like a player wanting to leave.

We know injuries and suspensions will take their toll during a long season, players can have a dip in form or lose a little confidence from time to time, some just plain need a rest. for those reason I think it would be prudent to sign another quality striker, we know Wenger will not be prepared, or able, to spend “astronomical” sums and doesn’t like signing older players, so perhaps Harry Kane would like to better himself with a move to THoF.

Thanks LB, as Norfolk says we have 4 strikers, 3 of which can play out wide in a front 3. I think if we were to buy a new striker, he would have to be Aguero’s twin brother because there just aren’t that many top quality strikers out there and we’ll be behind the chavs, city and the mancs in the queue to sign any that are available.

Being realistic, I think we need to get Theo to sign a new contract, get Danny Welbeck fit and chop and change the strike force to suit the opposition. Accepting that we won’t have an ‘Aguero’ up front, we will have to rely on goals from midfield to add tΓ³ those of the strikers.

5. Sav from Australia says:

Interesting post.

But I have a sneaky suspicion Welbeck will improve a bit on finishing and composure over the holidays. He’s my vote for ‘new’ striker hehe.

Well done, LB.

Your Post chimes with my own views, altho to answer you fully would be to start Norfolk off on another of his Theo accolades, and heaven forbid that should happen. [Oh, God, it has already happened] πŸ™‚

I tend not to live in the world of ‘might haves’ or ‘he could haves’ and instead, before answering directly perhaps I could give you my own view on Theo’s performance at the Cup Final.

Now it would be curmudgeonly to moan about a brilliant day/game/performance and a life improving moment for any Gooner, except Rocky who seems to have buggered off – the ratbag – so I do not intend to do so, but………

Theo’s goal was a wonderful and potentially game changing strike, and all credit to him for breaching the dam.

Other than that, he perhaps could have done better with a couple of other opportunities that fell to him and which I suspect Aguerro or Suarez, for example, would have put away.

Then after that, I find it hard to recall Theo making any searing breakaway runs with the ball, except for a couple where, to be frank, the defender kept pace with him and indeed dispossessed him.

Anyhoo — cutting to the chase, I do not think Theo has the physique or the skill to be a CF, and Ollie for all his determination and heart, which is something I love about him, just does not have the pace or dribbling skill and control to be anything other than an ‘OK’ CF.

So, given my druthers, I would rather have a new, upgraded CF and that would not include either of the above — but I am realistic enough to know that Norfolk pulls Arsene’s strings and we will not get a newbie CF. πŸ™‚

Thanks LB

I voted “cant say”. This is what happened to me the other day LB. I was on the Potters Bar Road when I got to close to a cyclist making him swerve. He was very angry LB, accusing me of wearing my mothers hair and suggesting I was in need of a catheter.

He asked me why I did it and I could only reply that my feelings for him were confused, so I couldn’t say.

The truth is its great were having this discussion. we are so close to a team/squad that can now challenge for the title, and ime sure we are all titillated.

It is a concern that City and Chelsea have Augero and Costa but i guess we will have to wait and see.

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring

A very interesting post LB

You mention Ozil,Sanchez and Cazolrla who ae a different league to both especially giroud and the erratic but talented Walcott.

Sterling is just 20 and his agent is making a balls up of his career and the figures quoted are up to 160K a week being his demand but there is also a possibility that Rodgers could be replaced this Summer as the pressure is definitely on him and the Anfield faithful are losing heart.

If we could buy a centre forward who is top notch and unload Giroud at a small profit, it wouldn’t bother me at all. he doesn’t have the insight or speed required of the really good playmakers in the side and is found out just a bit too regularly by the better teams.

Theo wants to stay I am sure, but still not convinced that he is better in the middle than down the flanks.

I would say he falls somewhere between the better thinking and natural ball players and Giroud.

A side note: As much as we loathe Spurs,Jack needs to watch himself.Many managers would let it go but AW is a disciplarian.

9. RA, as always talks sense, of a sort and I agree with him when he says Walcott can’t be and is not a centre forward. But then a striker doesn’t have to be built like a brick s**t-house, just look at Aguero, Messi, Suarez et al.

No, a striker needs craft, pace, technique and confidence all of which Walcott is blessed with.

Another question is, do we want an old fashioned centre forward? Do we need someone to play with his back to goal holding the ball up? I think our present style of play is too fluid to allow for that type of player.

10. RC78 says:

I think that next year, we are going to be tough cookies and that Theo will come of age and score for fun πŸ™‚ He will become our Nr. 9 while Giroud and Wellbeck will provide more than adequate cover.

Now, the question for Wenger is the following: Who is going to play Right Wing? Is it Ox? Is it Ozil? Is it Rambo? or is it a recruit and in that case, would Sterling do the job?

By all means and according to me, let us go and purchase Sterling for 40 Mln pounds (not more)!

Sanchez – Walcott – Sterling
    Ozil
    Coq(?) Ramsey
    ———————————————
    Recruit Cazorla
    Wilshere
    Oxlade – Giroud – Wellbeck

I think that we just need a real DM (no Arteta or Flamini) that can add steel to our team but upfront, if we get Sterling and if we get a guy like Schnederlin as DM, we are covered…

11. Kelsey, sadly for all their talent some footballers never grow up and Jack could be a case in point.

LB. Thanks for the post

IMO Sterling will be a top player (he already is) though whether he can become a consistent goalscorer is open to question.

Same with Theo but I would expect Theo to score more (as he does) and be more aware thanks to 6 years difference in age.

Are either of them CF’s? No.

There are a few posts in this question so I will not waste one by giving my reasons here πŸ™‚

As to Jack getting plastered and playing up to the fans, Good Luck to the boy. If he cannot do so at season’s end having won a Cup when can he?

I would be hugely surprised and disappointed if AW disciplined him.

We want our players to have a passion for the Arsenal and JW clearly has.

14. The Cockie Monster says:

Thanks LB. I voted no (to the question of can Sterling be a number 9). Liverpool have tried it, even against us, and while they got more control in midfield they looked toothless in the final third. He may still be young but he doesn’t look a proper finisher to me and the ball doesn’t seem to leave his boot with any great force. He looks a tricky pacy attacking midfielder to me.

You are quite right IMO that his best role is where Sanchez plays and bearing in mind I feel that AOC, Gnabry and Welbeck can all play there effectively it would be a silly area to spend money on. If we didn’t have Sanchez and that type of quality back up I would say bring him in.

I don’t get the comparisons with Sterling and Walcott either. They look to have different skill sets to me. Theo looks a finisher with a good shot and maybe a player who shouldn’t spend as much time on the ball but is more explosive when called into action. Sterling doesn’t look a finisher but looks a player who should be more on the ball than Theo and from deeper positions.

I have said that I don’t know if Theo can be a top class striker so it is a slight gamble to enter next season with what we have. Theo does though IMO have the potential to be a 30+ a season striker. Many say that he can’t be a striker because of this factor or that factor but my question would be, how do you really know that? Should we move him on and let someone else potentially find out to their delight that he is that player and that everything we thought he couldn’t do was a bit of a myth?

I thought the Jack thing was amusing Raddy and I think I saw Bouldy having a good laugh at it as well. It is just football and banter IMO. Many Spurs fans will recognise it for that and let it go but some will get all indignant about it. They know our songs for them anyway as we know they have ones for us.

There have been some really good comments today, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Where Theo is concerned I feel he should now only be considered as a striker option and not as a right midfielder. If we are to take a gamble on Theo as striker (and not buy in) with Ollie and Welbz as back up then it may be we should look to a serious upgrade in the right attacking position.

I feel we need a left footed attacking wide right player with a good eye for goal coming in onto their left foot. Maybe we need to replicate (to a degree) what Messi and Robben bring in goal-threat coming from the right flank.

If Theo and Welbz do then turn out to be slightly inconsistent as strikers then a prolific goal-scorer from that position may well compensate for it, (until we can bring in an upgrade), especially with Sanchez on the opposite side. How about going all in for Bale? If he really is out of our reach then maybe Redders Ukrainian buddy is worth a look.

Of the 107 goals scored in all competitions:

61 = 57% were scored by strikers …
    Alexis 25
    Giroud 18
    Welbeck 8
    Theo 7
    Podolski 3

31 = 29% were scored by midfielders (not in the front 3 in a 4:3:3)
    Ramsey 9
    Cazorla 7
    Ozil 5
    Rosicky 4
    Wilshere 2
    The Ox 2
    Flamini 1
    Arteta 1

There were significant periods of injury to the strikers – Giroud, Welbeck and Theo (Podolski went out on loan in January)

There were also significant periods of injury to the midfielders – Ramsey, Ozil, Wilshere, the Ox and Arteta.

Conclusion: keep the basis of this squad and hope for fewer injuries again πŸ™‚

19. Red Arnie says:

Very nice question LB. πŸ™‚ I mean the true LB not the pretender LChasB πŸ˜›

I voted yes because I agree we will benefit from a top striker. Who it is I don’t know I don’t need to know. Not my job. But if Arsene signs a striker, I expect a top striker, a 30 goal a year striker, not a 15 goal numpty.

If the Porto guy is the chosen one, I trust he would be that good, otherwise very disappointed. πŸ™‚

Thanks very much LB

I really haven’t seen enough of Sterling, but I’m still choking on the cornflakes I don’t eat. Β£160k!!! Nope, not for me, as proven goals is what we need to go up a level.

I reckon both Danny and Theo have the potential to improve as central forwards, and of course, can both play across the front line, but good enough next season for CL or PL? No, I don’t think so.

As for who, mmm, not good at this because I so rarely watch other sides other than when we’re playing them. Pace, movement and goals all in the same player, then factor in availability, and we have a tough ask on our hands.

Here are the goals per game of our strikers/mfs in the EPL games;

Alexis 16 in 35 = 1 in 2.18
    Giroud 41 in 97 = 1 in 2.36
    Podolski 19 in 60 = 1 in 3.15
    Theo 50 in 202 = 1 in 4.04
    Ozil 9 in 42 = 1 in 4.66
    Welbeck 4 in 25 = 1 in 6.25
    Rambo 23 in 156 = 6.78
    Cazorla 23 in 106 = 6.95
    Rosicky 19 in 170 = 8.95
    Wilshere 6 in 100 = 1 in 16.6

Harping back to the Cup Final in my near sixty odd years of supporting and originally going to nearly all games the Charlie George goal always sticks out first in my memory besides the fact that it one us the double, and that I was there but the more I look at Sanchez’s goal on Saturday it beats it and most probably the greatest strike I have witnessed by one of our players in a Cup Final and it also more or less confirmed victory and Villa were stuffed.

Raddy,
    Jack did a similar thing last year.He is a rebel despite being a father these days and needs to grow up and fight for his place.

23. Red Arnie says:

BTW I understand that Raheem is the name of God but who is Sterling? Don’t know don’t care

Did he score 30 goals this year? Just curious. πŸ˜›

Sterling, 18 goals in 91 appearances for pool = 1 in 5.05

25. Vintage Gooner says:

I think Giroud is a good verging on very good striker and target man up front. He will not let us down but is unlikely to find the pace or tighter control to become truly world class.

Theo is more difficult to assess. I feel he is in many ways a slightly manufactured footballer having worked really hard on his game. He will never be a traditional centre forward but shows enough to suggest he may become a very effective striker in a very fluid forward line. However again I don’t see him achieving world class although I am confident in the right team he could be very good indeed. Further we are developing the right team which is another positive.

I would not touch Sterling with a barge pole. Over-hyped and over-priced. No thank you. But if a world class striker became available I would love to see Arsene break the bank for him.

NG and GB,

You are both blessed with patience and there is no surprise that neither of you has changed your position on Theo since the last discussion, which only seems to be about 5 minutes ago.

And as for changing my mind – moi? No chance. πŸ™‚

On a secondary matter, Norfolkian, at no time did I say that I preferred a big traditional CF – I want a goal scorer, as do we all.

I mentioned Suarez and Aguerro in that context – they are never knocked off the ball in the area, and both have real skill in turning defenders or ‘buying’ fouls/penalties.

If you think that Theo is in the same league, in terms of skill sets, as either of those two players, then you are as nutty as I have consistently maintained that you are!! πŸ˜€

Finally, there is a tendency for some optimistic people to misguidedly call their ducks swans. There is nothing wrong with being born as a duck, provided you are hatched from a swans egg

However, to me, if someone looks like a duck, plays like a duck and runs like a duck — I call that player…… a duck. πŸ™‚

Hi Vintage ….

Sergio Aguero, 78 in 120 = 1 in 1.53 for city

….. that’s what to expect from a world class striker, of which there are maybe 7 or 8 playing in Europe

Suarez playing for Barcelona
    16 in 27 = 1 in 1.68
    playing for pool
    69 in 110 = 1 in 1.59

Interesting goal stats, Rasp, but I am not sure they mean much without proper context.

Sterling at 20 y.o., is, and, has been, playing in a poor ‘Pool team and an alternative comparison will come when he joins a better team and matures.

He will never play for Arsenal, in my opinion, but we should have snapped him up as a 16 y.o. for around Β£700k, but again our scouting team did not rate him — the many millions it will eventually cost some club proves them wrong.

Ok Rasp
    Let’s see all the players scoring at about 1 in 1.60’ish
    Then we’ll choose who Arsene MUST sign, or walk πŸ™‚

Here’s the one who we should be after if by some miracle the other big boys aren’t interested ….

Jackson Martinez, 67 goals in 89 appearances for Porto = 1 in 1.32 …. but that is in the Portuguese league πŸ™‚

Haha Micky, I just answered your question before you had even asked it πŸ™‚

Martinez has only scored 10 in 25 for Colombia = 1 in 2.5, so his stats could well suffer in a better league.

Cavani for PSG, 34 in 65 = 1 in 1.9

1 in 1.9 for Cavani is some going given most of his starts are from wide

But then again, and this is where stats go bush, you have to look at the opposition. Mind you, I bet Cavani’s stats were impressive for Napoli

I agree Micky, these stats are imperfect to say the least. The number of games includes coming on as a sub for 10 minutes. Theo’s goals per minute on the pitch are probably quite impressive.

I think we can all see the need to recognise the difference between a centre forward (dying breed) and a striker. Alexis and Theo are both strikers but not traditional CFs. The stronger our midfield becomes the less we will need a CF. The problem early in this season was that our midfield just wasn’t gelling whereas in the cup final it was quick and dynamic.

The truth is we would all like to have sex with some one we don’t know. That’s why the appeal of buying a new striker will always be there.

Of course it is all based on percentage of attraction. Henry was up in the 90% zone but near the end his arrogance made him drop to around 60%. This percentage is dangerous. Supporters started looking at van persie and wondering what a romantic dinner would be like with the duch man or weather he was good at DIY.

A lesson for all supporters. Be careful what you wish for.

Some one like Adeybeyor was about 30% to start with. Anything below 50% indicates low interest so fans will be “theres no future with this twat” or “I wish he would have an accident”. Unfortunately he finished at around 3% which meant fans were sleeping with other women and sending him the videos. The man is basicaly a cuckold

Theo seems to have it. Despite been a bit flakey his attraction levels have a habit of recovering quickly. its very hard to leave Theo. just when you think youve had enough of him he scores some great goals and you fall in love again

Giroud, despite his looks can be easily dumped. Fans are put off by his preening and ego. No supporter wants a striker who spends more time in the mirror than them.Its statisticaly proven that supporters want a striker more uglier than they

This means its very hard to make it as a striker at Totnumb. You need a face like a pudding baked by a bin man.

Thats why Archibald and Crooks were excellent

Just planning the summer around possible big transfers, and a number of interesting targets will be off to South America. So when does that wretched tournament end, so that we can wake up?

Rasp
    I think Transplant has unearthed a new widget category for you

β€œI wish he would have an accident”. πŸ™‚

Cavani for Napoli, 78 in 104 = 1 in 1.33

Falcao for Athletico, 52 in 68 = 1 in 1.30

Nah Micky, the list would be too long πŸ™‚

41. Red Arnie says:

aha, yes, Jackson Martinez. that’s the one. yummy. πŸ™‚ have we not already signed him for next year? πŸ˜›

Red Arnie, or RA, as you will soon become known for short, I am aware from your comment, yesterday, that you are responding to a suggestion from Rasp, and to avoid confusion I am going to ditch the anonym ‘RA’ and find another handle to use on AA – if I could be assed that is.

Perhaps I will use ‘RaspA’, or ‘GoonerBB’ or maybe Norfolk George the name world is my oyster. πŸ™‚

Be careful on other blogsites, as I suspect I have a certain reputation. πŸ˜‰

Good luck with it.

Messi for Barca, 286 in 315 = 1 in 1.10

Ronaldo for Real, 225 in 200 = 1 in 0.88

Giroud would have been a first class hold up man and striker in the good old days of muddy pitches and hobnail boots. πŸ™‚

Sorry about this 😦

Diego Costa for the chavs, 20 in 26 = 1 in 1.3

In passing, Rasp, I responded to your comments on goal stats and the silence was deafening – Micky commented on the same topic at the same time and had an immediate response.

Well what do you know?

It does not matter in itself, as I am used to you – and I like responding to Micky too, but the timing just highlighted your usual ignoring of my comments, but following on from your suggested name change to Red Arnie [RA] — boy does it grate.

Redders, the suggestion simply came from the fact that the was lots of singing of ‘Red Army’ on Saturday and once I’d made the Red arnie suggestion, it just sounded like everyone was singing Red arnie … if you get my drift πŸ™‚

48. Red Rasp says:

Hi Redders, sorry, I missed your response, apologies.

Having read it now, I agree with you, context is everything.

There are too many parameters to get close to a realistic comparison so I think we’ll have to accept the stats as flawed and just use them as a rough guide. 20 goals a season in the prem is a lot harder to achieve than in many other European leagues.

No worries Redders. I give you my blessing to go Terry Mancini Red Hair Transplant (TMRHT)

It would help if you were a ginge though. Have you got any Scottish ancestry?

I would sign Falcao if available for bobbins from Monaco and a wage of a few herring. The man is more our style than Cavani.

And more importantly, how great would it be if we could turn him into the wonderful striker MU couldn’t.

Also, where do we play The Ox because Ox is going to be an Arsenal legend once he gets his body strong.

51. Lieutenant Bunnyman says:

Excellent post, LB. Thanks.

I really thought Sterling was the real deal last season.
    Maybe Suarez was making him look better than he is, or maybe his form just went off once he started flashing his arse at potential suitors? (Sturridge being injured all the time didn’t help either)

I’d imagine the chances of us getting an Aguerro/Suarez type player are virtually nil.
    If Walcott goes we’ll get someone else in, surely?

I like Sav’s thinking that Danny Welbeck has the potential to improve almost on a quantum leap level, his fitness and finishing must improve in tandem though.

The chavs finished 12 points ahead of us scoring only 2 more goals and conceding 4 less. But, I suppose we’ll never win the league playing in their mind-numbingly tedious way, so we do need to find an extra 10 to 15 goals from somewhere maybe.

As usual who we think we might like and who we actually end up buying are often poles apart. Even in the marquee signing category, not many of us considered Ozil and Sanchez.
    I love it that they’re both 26 and just reaching their peak years. πŸ™‚

pssshhhh I am in the minority, ie Cannot Say. Pleased that the rest of you are so bloody clever πŸ™‚

LB – I could not agree more about the buses. Biggest if not only problem for our team. Sort it out and the EPL is ours, no one comes even close to the magnifico AFC

53. X11 [the blogger who used to be RA] says:

Thanx, Terry, but I do not have red hair or Scottish antecedents. πŸ™‚

I was thinking along the lines of maybe ‘Biggest Cockie’ but I would not want to offend our mate Glister.

Then I thought I have a lot in common with GN5 and so GN6 seemed appropriate…..but, that would be too close for the two of us.

So, I am hoping Rasp does not know any songs which rhyme with X11. You never know.

54. X11 [the blogger who used to be RA] says:

You have a point, Raddy, but Chelsea are apparently [so say some rumours] in discussions with Falcao, as Maureen is sure he can remodel him as a top, top striker again — as back up for the oft injured Costa.

55. Red Arnie says:

Apols Redders. It seemed a fun thing to change the AA name. Oh dear! Apols

Maybe we should re-sign Nik Bendtner. I understand he is available.

Terry πŸ™‚

Rasp, I was about to say maybe we should be looking at goals per minute played and find you have recognised that as a potential factor that could skew the stats.

As I have said with regard to Theo I am not saying that he is or will be a world class striker but that he could be, but needs more consistent playing time to find out. For me the positives in his game are his obvious pace and movement, eye for goal, and that he has some power in his shooting. I also think he tries to move into good positions a lot to show for the midfielders, and he has a good first touch generally after which he has the ability to take his shot early if required.

What people seem to most list as his deficiencies in making it as a top striker seem to be lack of size and strength and an inability to hold the ball up.

This holding the ball up one always perplexes me. I see it as a striker gaining and keeping possession until his team-mates arrive. A quicker striker will often do this by pulling away from CD’s or between defensive lines to receive or run onto a ball and then, if there is no direct route to goal, hold possession till a good option to a team-mate presents itself.

I still feel many are still in the very “English football” frame of mind where they see holding the ball up as physically holding off or out-muscling 2 CD’s with back to goal while trying to bring it under control. Personally I feel this is a mid to lower table way of holding the ball up and at the top level you more see strikers that use space and movement to receive the ball or get to it first. I feel Theo has this in his locker.

It might just be me but I feel Theo has bulked up and looks stronger. This may be at the expense of a bit of pace but he could afford that trade off anyway. I feel he looks a strong unit now, at least strong enough to go shoulder to shoulder with defenders when running for a ball and to give them a shoulder to shoulder nudge. Is Theo stronger now than people credit him with? Is this perceived “weakness” based on years gone past?

As I say I don’t really want to see Arsenal play with a striker that frequently indulges in Greco-Roman wrestling matches with the CD’s anyway.

While on the stats front Rasp, In terms of size here is a list of players (among others) who are smaller than Theo (according to Wikipedia) :

Aguero, Tevez, Michael Owen, David Villa, Neymar, Romario (great striker IMO), and (some peoples fancy to come and be our new shiny world class striker) Lacazette.

Wayne Rooney is the same size, Falcao is 1cm taller and Lineker is 1/2″ taller.

58. X11 [the blogger who used to be RA] says:

That’s OK, RA, it is Rasp’s site, and I will just have to get get used to it.

I am sure you did not mean to offend, and if there was a ‘vote’ you would win it hands down. πŸ™‚

Oh, well.

Sorry I forgot to mention that Theo is also (credited on Wikipedia) taller than one…………..Ian Wright Wright Wright.

60. Red Arnie says:

Sorry Redders it’s my fault not Rasp’s. My blaming Rasp was meant as a joke. My apologies never imagined this would turn out like this. 😦

61. Bayonne Jean says:

This is simples.

We all know AW; if you ask him how many strikers he has, he’ll name four right off the bat — HFB, Theo, Welbeck, and Alexis (he has always said he signed Alexis because he viewed him mainly as a striker!). He rarely overdoes signings for any one position, since he always feels that if you have too many for that slot, you have scope for causing unhappiness and possible dissension.

If anything, he has no one who would be a true backup to the type of striker HFB is, so that could be where he springs for a new one, but don’t be surprised if he claims that a Welbeck or (don’t laugh too hard) a Sanogo would be pressed into that role if need be.

I foresee only two possible additions — a DM type (there’s really no one else who adequately fills the Coquelin role), and a keeper. Neither Arteta or Flamini are that kind of DM, and Chambers is too inexperienced to be handed that responsibility — in fact, wouldn’t be surprised to see Chambers out on loan next season.

As for the keeper I wouldn’t be that surprised if he doesn’t spring for one, either, as I don’t think he’d pay out what it would cost to bring in the top, top keeper all the pundits and supporters say he needs to buy. Everyone points to getting Cech, but Chelsea would not let him go to Arsenal. Same would hold for Lloris. The guy who might be available and possibly at a reasonable price would be Begovic, given Stoke has just bought a Danish keeper and has Butland as well. But would Begovic be an upgrade?

62. TotalArsenal says:

Nice one LB πŸ™‚

Ollie is reaching his prime years and will be our pivot once more next season. More goals and assists measured in minutes than Costa this season tells us something but his overall contribution is what Wenger rates so highly. Arsene knows a thing or two about strikers and Ollie is his man alright. I expect Theo to leave and an Alexis prototype on the right to join us this summer. Then the master plan is complete. πŸ˜‰

TA, I don’t see it at all I am afraid. How are you anyway? For me if he sells Theo and relies on Ollie for first choice we can kiss goodbye to any proper title hopes. Same goes for ECL. Further I could see Theo (injury status providing) out-performing Ollie as a striker elsewhere. This is not because I do not like Ollie and think he is worthy of a squad place, but ask yourself this, how many other top teams have expressed an interest in Giroud compared to those showing an interest in Theo?

Hi TA

Good to hear from you again. I must admit that I agree, I expect Walcott to leave and Giroud to stay with a new addition up top and I am very excited about that prospect.

65. TotalArsenal says:

I’m good GB, thanks, and how are you? πŸ™‚

Do you value your wife more because others tell you she is a stunner? Wenger has created his own Frankenstein and he has high hopes for him. No way is he going back to a traditional CF. Theo – I was a big fan for a long time – has a focus/hunger problem Imo, and won’t make it really big. Love to be wrong though. πŸ˜‰

66. TotalArsenal says:

Hey LB πŸ™‚

Yes I am excited about getting the pitchfork complete and go after the Chavs. Alexis on the left, Ollie in the middle, and Alexis two on the right, with Ozil holding the handle.

67. Lieutenant Bunnyman says:

68. Private Bunnyman says:
  69. Private Bunnyman says:

70. Private Bunnyman says:

71. JM says:

We have benefited from Real Madrid’s (with Mesut Γ–zil) and Barcelona’s (with Alexis SΓ‘nchez) shaking up of their squads previously.

This coming season, we could benefit from Bayern Munich’s turn in refreshing their team (after being found out in the CL by Barcelona), by recruiting one/couple of their star player(s).

Mario GΓΆtze (false-9)? Thomas MΓΌller (unconventional, energetic 9-&-half)? Robert Lewandowski (poacher)?

– option as our new right-sided forward/ main striker?

——————

I do not foresee major restructuring in our defence (GKs & DFs);

Mathieu Debuchy could make a surprise switch in-field (while he ages, recovers from lengthy injuries and re-invents himself in a new center position where experience counts more than pace)….. at DM (as Coquelin’s alternative); he did play in midfield early in his career with Lille.

This solution would let both Carl Jenkinson and HΓ©ctor BellerΓ­n battle for our starting RB spot.

Poseidon ?

73. Private Bunnyman says:

Aye, or Neptune for the Romans.
    The photo was entitled Zeus with trident, but that can’t be right.

I found it amusing that the venerable TA was using a Norfolkian pitchfork as his metaphor (?) rather than a trident. πŸ™‚

Hey Bunnyman

During quiet blogging moments, perhaps if we were actually nice to you, we could have a standby Sanchez goal gif (still not sure if that’s the right word. Is it a Vine or Vimeo or what?)

We could have quiet days. No spoken words, just quiet visual thoughtful days, or what Raddy would called, Healing Days πŸ™‚

75. Private Bunnyman says:

Neptune? (same fellow as Poseidon but spelled differently)

Oops. Should have refreshed the page before repeating the above! I love a bit of ancient gods be they Norse, Roman or Greek.

Helping Days. Fine idea – we could have them after defeats instead of a post-mortems full of angst.

Brilliant, thanks.
    Still makes me laugh watching Kos. He then pulls the shirt down and has a “what happened?” look

79. Ant says:

Ok, thank you Ant
    Now….for the rest of the day, everyone shhhhhhhh

81. Shard says:

Good morning everybody.

It’s now two weeks since my grandmother passed away. Although she had lived a full life and death came as a mercy from the pain she was in for a month or so prior, there was still a sense of great loss and football didn’t seem the most important thing.

The season was almost sewn up anyway, but the FA Cup final remained, and watching that game brought me immense joy. It was different from last season, in that it was a more restrained, calm kind of joy, rather than the wild ecstatic reaction of last season. But what a performance from us.

A few random thoughts.

Coquelin seems to be gradually increasing in his passing range and ability. But he seems to have problems with his nose. He seemed to be holding it in pain during the celebrations after Theo’s goal.

Theo was frustrating before the goal, and didn’t do much after, but that goal represents his worth to the team. As long as he stays involved in the game, which he was on Saturday, he’s a player definitely worth keeping. If he’s sold, then maybe we could see a new striker/attacker being bought. (But not Sterling I hope… I think)

Mertesacker looked very good, seemed to leap higher, and I actually gave a chuckle when Benteke was complaining to the referee at the time of a corner, and then he stood back next to Per, and looked small. He’s so gentle, so it’s easy to forget that Per is still a giant.

Alexis’ goal.. Wow.. But also remarkable was his assist for Walcott’s goal. A 5’8 guy winning a header at the back post. Not really what we’re used to from Arsenal. Also made me laugh when he made a Villa defender look silly as he just stopped instead of crossing the ball and the defender stumble-slid across the turf.

Ozil was fantastic. At one point, when Cazorla just poked the ball through to him and he flicked it forward. I actually shouted my appreciation. (and that moment didn’t seem to make his highlight reel on youtube)

Also liked how we kept the intensity up. The 4th goal was a sign of that, and Giroud really wanted that, even though it was almost the last second of the game.

Shockingly, even Stewart Robson could find nothing bad to say about us (beyond his usual of trying to suggest that an Arsenal long range goal took a deflection, which he had to reject upon a clear enough replay)

Why do I feel the juvenile need to SHOUT in a quiet room?

Shard

Sorry to read about your grandmother. As you say sometimes even football is secondary.

My only tiny grey area about the game was how poorly AV played – they were, in the words of young JW, shit.

84. X11 says:

Hi Shard,

Sorry to hear about your Grandma.

You will not be surprised to learn that I thought your comment above, re the FA Cup Final, was an excellent summary, and that is despite the fact I have tried very hard to find something to disagree with, so I could wind you up! πŸ˜€

85. X11 says:

Hi TA,

Sorry to have missed you last night. Always good to hear from you.

Your move to Scotland must be drawing close -(you did tell me, but lately I have the memory of a neglected goldfish!) Bubble, bubble πŸ˜€

86. Shard says:

Raddy

I think they were thrown by the decision to start Walcott. It shouldn’t have thrown them because Theo did play our previous game and scored a hattrick, but I think they figured they had a better chance facing Giroud and went for maximising their potential rather than covering all bases.

As for Jack Wilshere and his ‘foul-mouthed outburst’. I just roll my eyes at that. Who gives a shit that he said that word? He did it last year too, and there didn’t seem to be this much acrimony. I suppose they had other things to put Arsenal down with.

But what it has done is make me want to learn the ‘My Old Man’ chant which was referred to in the media as part of Wilshere’s ‘outburst’ πŸ™‚

87. Shard says:

What’s the deal with all these name changes? Red arnie…the demoted bunnyman, X11 – the artist formerly known as Scarlet Bottom.

Shard πŸ˜€

89. X11 says:

It’s evolution, Shard, out with the old and in with the new – in my case it is like being an iPhone 4 being tossed for a shiny new iPhone 6. πŸ˜€

Hope you are keeping well, and your work is not keeping you chained to the desk too much?

Morning all, sorry about your loss Shard.

On Jack, what did was to sing songs that are sung at every game anyway by the fans both inside and outside the ground. The Spurs fans know the songs well as we know the ones they sing at us. Some will get indignant about it but others will shrug their shoulders and put it down to the many years of rivalry and banter. If anything it could be said it was ill advised due to how the media would jump all over it purely because he is a high profile English player with some past misdemeanors. The way they are painting it though is as if he has made up some new derogatory songs, which is just not the case.

Interesting you note that Theo wasn’t involved a lot. Others say this as well Shard and cite it as reason for him not being good enough but I am happy if he is an impact player with 2-3 key moments in a game providing they are important moments. I think he can be a big game changer as well, which we have lacked. We have enough players who get “busy” on the ball and are involved more consistently. Drogba was a “not involved, not involved, then whallop” kind of player but no-one could doubt his influence in his teams successful years.

agree about Theo leaving this summer. I wouldn’t be surprised if Jack went too.

Theo would go abroad, perhaps Real?
    Jack to United?

Would we boo them?

92. X11 says:

Morning GoonerB,

I would like to propose a marriage to you – well not you and I – obviously – but a happy consummation of like minds between you and another yankee blogger I know on another site.

Like you he has a fixation on Theo and finds it difficult not to keep repeating the same message to everyone who may not share his views – and I think the pair of you would be in deep bliss convincing each other. πŸ™‚

Let me know if you are interested, and I will tell you who it is and which blog you can find him on.

Morning all, what are you thinking of???? πŸ˜€

Of course Theo will stay, he’s part of Arsene’s project. I have seen absolutely no evidence that Theo will leave or indeed that any other club is coming in for him.

Shard, sorry to hear of your sad loss.

TA, nice to see you on AA, good luck with your move.

Is Sanogo the answer. (Don’t all answer at once)

Theo always drifts out of games for us and England and the few times he came on as sub for us in the run in, the same thing applied in many games. I know he has been off injured so maybe a gentle introduction was needed,which he admitted himself.However he has always been a drifter he ain’t no Sanchez when it comes to stamina and chasing down πŸ™‚

Nice to see my old mucker Shard back and condolences on the loss of your grandmother.

Good point kelsey.

Sanogo, Podolski and above all, Akpom are still in the squad.

Just thinking about football and my youth

Did any of you ever play weekend football on Hackney Marshes?

96. Red Arnie says:

condolences, Shard. Nice to see you back. πŸ™‚

another season has passed by, some would say a successful season, and the need for the chameleon to get a new skin perhaps arises. πŸ˜›

Nice batner this morning. πŸ™‚

Bloody hell, I got a reply πŸ™‚

98. ‘morning all, I’ve no idea who I’m talking to, name changes, total strangers appearing, old commenters coming back, what is the world coming to?

I’m off to a darkened room.

99. Shard says:

Thank you all for your kind words.

RA,

No my work doesn’t keep me tied to a desk. It involves listening to a lot of people blab though, with the occasional nugget of knowledge in there that I gain from. (So not too dissimal from blogging I suppose πŸ™‚ )

Still unclear about my future, but it’s going ok so far.

100. Shard says:

GoonerB
    I think you misunderstood what I meant on Theo. I never said or thought he’s ‘not good enough’. I think Theo has limitations, but also offers something unique.

I am not sure if he’s the best fit for the way we’re playing, but his goals will not be easy (or cheap) to replace if he were to leave. Plus, maybe both Arsenal and Theo can work at their game a little bit to maximise their combined talents.

I, for one, would like Theo to stay. But his agents will demand big money for him and Arsenal will scout the market for someone who could provide the same, or better, statistical output, and also contribute more in other areas. Not sure how it’ll go, but I think there is a mutual desire for Theo to stay at Arsenal so that’s a good starting point.

101. Shard says:

Hi kelsey

You were probably using your sarcasm font with Sanogo, but I actually think Sanogo has a lot of potential. It seems to me that the ‘big’ strikers tend to become better later in their careers. Drogba and Giroud both recent examples. However, I think he will likely need another year on loan(at least). If he does well, he could be Giroud’s successor in the team. Playing a similar role, but he’s faster and maybe more naturally skilled.

Shard

If we are seriously going to challenge for the title we need an upgrade on Sanogo and Giroud. I am not sure about Walcott after ten years at the club and at his age he should be approaching his prime.
    He has had a stop start career with us due to various injuries , has improved but we need from him and others,consistency.

103. RC78 says:

Theo is staying for sure – he wants to stay and the club wants him to stay. It is a matter of cash and he wants guarantees to be considered as CF and not only as RW. AW will promise him this but will tell him that he needs to prove that he can handle that role and score a lot of goals and that he will be in competition with Giroud and Wellbeck…So for me – he stays for sure!

Which means that we have to recruit a Winger, ideally one that is decisive with both goals and assists and that does not mind covering the wing when we lose the ball or press…There are not that many players like that to be honest…Milner is one and is free but he is off to Liverpool, which means that Sterling is free to go but it seems that he will be sold to Man City because they are they highest bidders…

So who is a good winger – decisive and with a good work rate?
    – Might want to hit me with a stick but I still believe that Angel Di Maria is an absolute gem and if we could get him, it would be great. He has the skills and the grit so why not? I aslo like Juan Mata. Both these players may leave Man Utd…

– I like Meertens from Napoli although he needs to beef up his defensive contribution

– Another option would be to make Ox are RW and to get cover with the purchase of a versatile player like Downing or Sissoko.;;;

Anyways – let us see what happens πŸ™‚

I have a strong feeling towards your point RC about recruiting a quality wide player with goals in them to replace Theo at RW so that he can be more permanently considered as one of our strikers to battle it out as 1st choice for this role. Personally I would look at a left footed wide player who likes to play from the right as we are missing that option in the squad but have many right footed options.

Shard, I think you misunderstood what I thought that you thought about Theo πŸ™‚

I was taking your observation, about Theo seeming to not do so much for much of the game, into consideration as it is valid. I know you just made an observation as oppose to a criticism as such, but many others will use this point as a reason why he is not good enough in their eyes. Most top strikers for me do drift in and out of games due to the sometimes isolated position they play. Their job IMO is as much about worrying the defence, keeping their attention so they lose sight of dangerous situations with our other players, and pulling them around in defence, and then capitalising when the key moment arises. Is it important for a striker to be so regularly involved in on the ball moments?

X11 (RA), you are absolutely right, I have banged on about Theo for far too long. On reflection I think this is because the Theo detractors among us seem to (in my eyes) bandy around many cliched statements about what Theo can’t do or can’t be but don’t quantify the statement with any further argument or debate. They just seem to be statements without backing to me.

This is not me picking on any individual, but these statements seem to appear so often without any constructive argument to back it up that I probably feel I should counter the statement with my argument as to why that may not be a valid point. I say may not be a valid point (as oppose to not being a valid point) as the future may prove that their view / point was actually correct all along.

When I have counter argued a point (to see if debate about it will ensue) it seems no real justification about that point occurs. Then a while goes by and that same sweeping statement occurs again, so I counter argue it again.

I respect everyone else’s views even when they don’t align to my own but I must admit i do like to see some back up justification on a sweeping statement rather than just making it without quantifying it. I don’t want everyone to hold the same view as me otherwise the blog becomes boring. I enjoy hearing others peoples reasons for points they are making, but do personally prefer reasons are given for the view.

Remember I have also said 2-3 times that I am not saying he is the world class striker we need but that we just don’t know at this stage. He is not consistent say some. How can his consistency as a striker be judged when he hasn’t, to date, played consistently as a striker?

Now should I expect anyone to answer that or shall we wait till later or tomorrow when someone says he is not consistent enough again?

To the best of my knowledge only GIE put up a point that he backed when comparing Theo to (world class striker) Aguero, when he said that if receiving the ball with back to goal he felt Aguero could spin away from a defender with the ball in close control better than Theo, and this little difference made Aguero the world class striker that Theo isn’t. A valid argument from GIE. I could counter argue again that is it possible Theo will develop this more with increased playing time as a striker? And so we debate.

These are the following statements often made about Theo, that I have put up counter-arguments against over the last few weeks, that I feel haven’t been backed with reasoned argument. After all these I could ask the questions “What does this mean?” and “why do you feel it means Walcott can’t become a top level striker, taking into account whether some of his peers (among the top strikers) have succeeded with similar characteristics?”

Not big enough
    Not strong enough
    Can’t hold the ball up
    Not consistent enough
    Drifts out of games
    Doesn’t track back or work enough
    Doesn’t go into hard challenges

There are probably more but these seem to be the key ones.

A long comment I know Redders, but don’t mistake it as me being miffed or upset as I am not that type. I agree I have been slightly repetitive so I thought now it was easier if I outlay this all in one comment rather than keep saying the same things. Really I am laying down the challenge / throwing down the gauntlet to get people to back their statements about Theo with more reasoned argument, so over to you guys (and I won’t say a peep……..well maybe not) πŸ™‚

105. Surely our new found defensive solidity rather lessens the need for all our outfield players to constantly track back and play the part of extra defenders.

Now I’m not saying that they can leave it all to the boys at the back, but we could now and again keep one or two forwards up-field ready to spring into action when the ball is played (hoofed?) out of defence. It strikes me that, given his pace, Theo is ideally suited to the role. This would have the added bonus of forcing the opposition to keep a couple of defenders back and so reduce the pressure on our defenders.

This is something that should be considered when we are defending corners and free-kicks, at times there are twenty-one players in or around the penalty box, all getting in each others way and causing confusion amongst the defence.

I have often thought that the starting position, for a player such as Theo, when defending a corner should be the penalty spot, as the corner kick is taken he should sprint towards the centre circle hopefully taking a defender or two with him and providing an outlet for a clearence.

I would also like to see our forwards harrying the opposition when we lose possession in and around their penalty area, Alexis does it, but Giroud and Ozil are less than half-hearted in their attempts to win back the ball and so slow down any counter-attack.

106. GoonerB,

Your critique of Theo,

“Not big enough
    Not strong enough
    Can’t hold the ball up
    Not consistent enough
    Drifts out of games
    Doesn’t track back or work enough
    Doesn’t go into hard challenges”

could equally apply to Mesut Ozil, would you advocate dropping him from the side?

I agree Norfolk. A couple of games when we have been somewhat pinned back in our own half earlier this season have for me been down to not leaving 1-2 players in more advanced positions and / or not going with enough pace in our set-up, therefore allowing the oppo defence to play a high line and compress us, often on the half way line.

Not my critique Norfolk. I was saying it is what I feel others have often indicated. I have actually argued against all those points as maybe not being as relevant as others may think.

109. Apologies GoonerB, for putting words in your mouth.

No worries NG. It appears my 1.35 has killed the blog anyway. I am good at that. Camel wormers eh πŸ™‚

111. X11 says:

GoonerB,

I keep promising myself that I will not be drawn into anymore Theo debates, as they have become repetitive and frankly pointless, as only Mr Wenger will decide, whether we like that or not.

However, I am prepared to put forward some debating points on the merits, or otherwise, of the arguments put forward by those who doubt Theo at CF, and those you have put forward.

You have collected some of the Theo comments, and they are not really ‘sweeping statements’ as you claim but genuinely held opinions of largely physical attributes, or self evident assessments of what the player did or did not do.

Now you may not agree with them, but for example, there can not be too many people who think Theo, as a smaller player, has the same skill sets as Aguerro or Suarez which enables them to hold their own at CF, and alternatively he seriously cannot be held up as someone who has the strength or height of a Drogba, Costa or Bezema which enables them to be great CFs at the opposite end of the table.

Provable? Well it is not necessary to prove something to hold an opinion, is it?

Oddly enough, and I do not mean to ruffle your feathers, but people sometimes demand of others, or dislike something in others that is like a mirror image reflection of themselves.

Your dismissing of opinions held by others as being ‘sweeping statements’, seems to beg the question; your opinions are grounded in not knowing how good Theo is because he has not played enough at CF, or might be very good in the future.

Pure speculation? Sweeping statements? Provable?

Yes; Yes; and No; respectively.
    And that is the only argument you seem to have – other than disagreeing, apparently, with the observable opinions of others – without counter proof, it seems.

I do not claim to be an angel in this regard, but it is best to voice an opinion, listen to someone else’s, and if there is no common ground – just move on.
    We are not discussing math or camel worming here – just opinions which are not necessarily based on fact, or the specialist knowledge of the individuals concerned – unless in the examples I gave, a mathematician or the Major Domo of a camel worming empire. πŸ™‚

Is that a lengthy enough riposte – and not really about Theo, at all. πŸ˜€

112. X11 says:

Incidentally, GB, I made the point some time ago, and repeated above, that comparing Suarez’ and Aguerro’s wonderful CF/striker abilities with Theo’s current or hypothetical future abilities as being……difficult to comprehend – if that was also pointed out by GIE, all well and good.

I have had to give up my avatar name, but I cannot let you give GIE my loosely worded point scoring!! πŸ˜€

113. RC78 says:

Idea of a post: Which players would you like to see out of the door? Please precise loan, transfer or contract termination…

114. RC78 says:

You have to compare Walcott with players like:

Remy, Pedro, Callejon, Morata, Reus, Aubemayang, El Sharawwy, Menez, Lacazette

115. RC78 says:

A player that has one year left on his contract and plays on the right wing but is lefty is…Yarmolenko (15 goals, 14 assists in Russian league + 4 goals and 7 assists in Europa league). Currently valued at 22 Mln but most likely to go around 17 since he has only a year left on contract…

Pedro also the same

116. Wet willy says:

Bloody name changes are driving me crazy… so thought I’d get i on the act πŸ™‚

117. X11 says:

Blatter has gone. He has just resigned!! Yap

118. X11 says:

All complaints regarding name changes, Willy Wet, should be referred to Rasp. πŸ™‚

Hahahaaaa Blatter has stepped down.

He’s obviously been presented with irrefutable evidence of his involvement in corruption. I hope they haven’t done a deal with him, I want the devious old fraud to be exposed for what he is and pay the price!

What are you nutters changing your names for? Arnie was never going to be referred to as RA. Redders’ intellectual rights to RA remain πŸ™‚

I refer you back to my statement of Thursday that Bladder will win and then resign.

I am the Oracle. If only I could do the same with shares!

122. X11 says:

I am so delighted to hear the Bladder news, and apologise to The Oracle for thinking he was a wassock! πŸ˜€

123. X11 says:

I don’t mind, Rasp, [re 5:54] but it was lovely to twist your tail. πŸ™‚

124. Red Arnie says:

Hail the oracle! All prostrate yourselves facing Copenhagen! πŸ™‚

125. Red Arnie says:

Redders. RA Jr at best! πŸ˜›

BTW.

Rasp. Can you play this solo? One of the great pop solos (starts at @2.40)

127. X11 says:

You know, Red Arnie, I was watching the English cricket team in the summer, and I could have sworn you were the manager, because the fans were singing; Barmy Arnie, Barmy Arnie, Barmy Arnie.

And I said to my buddy, ‘I know that dude!’. πŸ˜€

He said, your ear is still on American time, they are singing, Barmy Army, Barmy Army — Rasp is the manager! πŸ˜€

RA. I am a wassock but I am also The Oracle πŸ˜€

129. X11 says:

On a serious note, Rasper, there is a TV programme I saw advertised recently, looking for the next Brit guitarist and singer to be promoted — seems like you, The Oracle and CharyB might be candidates. πŸ™‚

The AA ensemble will rule the Geetar world. πŸ™‚

130. X11 says:

Arnie,

I love the fact you have introduced a capital ‘A’ — for a pedant like me, it makes it all worthwhile. πŸ™‚

131. Red Arnie says:

Redders. πŸ™‚

132. X11 says:

GoonerB,

I cannot wait for your response to my absolutely camel worming reply to your comment — gotta go — but it will be Saturday before you move your ass anyway!! πŸ˜€

just heard about Blatter – fantastic news for all footballing world!

RC, to give credit where due the blogger formerly known as RA formerly known as Redarse mentioned Yarmolenko some time ago as a very viable option. See RA (sorry old habits die hard) I do notice most of what you mention πŸ™‚ Sorry about not realising that GIE was a naughty little plagiariser πŸ™‚

You are right X11 (and don’t worry, no feathers ruffled, I only have scales) that maybe using the term sweeping statements was a bit strong as a huge amount of, if not most of the time, the views / opinions on here are well balanced and well presented. We all sometimes state a strong opinion which we feel deeply but don’t back with hard evidence and that is ok.

I suppose the terms sweeping statements / views / opinions are all largely interchangeable terms in many senses and when does one become the other, a bit like when does confidence cross the boundary into arrogance, optimism become delusion, or realism become pessimism e.t.c.

I felt that many points being made on this topic (which shall not be named) over the last few weeks were being put out there with a lack of back up or presentation of argument to them. As you say these can all be classified as genuinely held opinions. Do we have to back them up for them to be an opinion? Of course not, an opinion is an opinion, so I suppose I was more looking to tease out valid arguments to these opinions that were being put out there.

As I said it was not directed at any one person so if I have offended anyone then tough sh….sorry, sorry I mean my sincere apologies πŸ™‚

Maybe then what I should have said is that I feel that there have been a lot of opinions, many of which may prove to be true, but not enough valid arguments for me. I was more trying to tease this out of people but you are right it has been done to death and in truth I also was getting bored of it even before today.

You are correct Redders that it is out of our powers to say what will happen and that AW will decide and show his hand in due course, so it is really pointless going over it too much, but then we could say that about most playing and recruitment aspects surrounding Arsenal as well. Back to cats and dogs then πŸ™‚

Now I do have to get pedantic (a character flaw in wormers) with you on one issue so please forgive me. I would have said that saying a player will be a success or will not be a success in the future in a position they have rarely been tried in is an opinion, but is also speculative and not provable. On the other hand I would say that taking the line of saying that we can’t say one way or the other, but will need to find out by trying it without dismissing the potential validity of it (which is the general point I have been trying to make, albeit via 1000 comments) is more a fact rather than a speculation.

I hope that made sense because I am not sure it did to me πŸ™‚ but in other words predicting the future one way or another = speculative (unless you are Crystals), stating that we cannot know what will happen in the future until we get there or try it out = fact (mostly).

Right that is me done on that subject and I am off to do what I am good at…….extracting large nematoda from Dromedary’s…….come here flossy (not just a sheep’s name that would be discriminatory).

135. The Cockie Monster says:

Thanks LB, late for the post and my thoughts would be that I`d love a interchanging front 3 of …….. Alexis, Theo and Sterling !…..pace and trickery !.
    If not for the slip up by Stevie Me last season, The Bindippers would have won the EPL and it would have probably been because of Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling….not a Giroud type player in sight !.
    I see the discussions regarding the merits of either Giroud or Theo up front, but whats wrong with keeping both and playing them in horses for courses games….some games we will benefit from Giroud up front and some games having Theo there as in Wenger`s preference on my birthday !. hahaha

I hope there will be the biggest opening of a can of worms ever regarding Blatter, but even if there is a cover up, dont you just love the ego of the guy !….the head of one of the most corrupt organization`s in the world and he blatantly knows he is going yet still his ego allows him to prove he could still win an election for another term !.

My favorite general newsnow story today has to be the survey done by the Ann Summers group regarding our favorite sex position !………….it`s doggy style !……not my favorite I would add !…….mine is a position in Transplants Louvre doored wardrobe !…….and I can tell from the luminous condoms that I`m not alone !. hahaha

Anyway I am delighted about Blatter as you no doubt are RA so I am sending you a big man hug and lots of man love through my keyboard on this joyous occasion.

Cockie πŸ™‚

I think Bladder made a mistake when he was told by corruption investigators that his position was untenable, at which he replied 10 ruble? It will cost you more than that and I want it in non traceable notes that have nothing to do with the U.N, after which he handed over his bank details in Equatorial Guinea.

138. The Cockie Monster says:

ArmaGedion had a good game !.

Hi all,

Kelsey just gave me a call and wondered why I had not been posting, there’s no particular reason, I’ve just been basking the the warm glow of a 4-0 win.

My son took me to watch the game with our old Gooner click in Mississauga but we had to go to a different pub called Cuchulainns – a great Irish pub as our old local closed down. I contacted Nemann and invited him along but he told me he would be watching the game in Malaysia.

The game is among the best I have ever seen Arsenal play – and I’ve seen more than I care to remember, it was the type of performance that we had all been waiting for – and what a time to do it – extraordinary!!

Looks like our pseudonyms are now going cryptic – X11 – I assume that means a football team? maybe I should ask Red Arnie?

140. X11 says:

Just popped back briefly, GB, to say thanx for the hug. πŸ™‚

As I said I was not talking about Theo, just commenting on the discussion – all good debating society stuff.

Anyway, your points are valid – and so we can move on – can we? πŸ™‚

141. X11 says:

Hiya, GN5

Glad you saw and enjoyed the Final.

The new handle is nothing specific, I was just making sure that it would be unlikely anyone else would even consider it. πŸ™‚

See you tomorrow – if you are around.

How about XRA – that would show you had inside knowledge?

Post sent to Nuts.

Fantastic, The BFG πŸ™‚

Love the interview, but, all you can hear is those berks in the stands singing that Girooo song

Just sends out all the wrong messages to Arsene πŸ™‚

Hey Chas
    Shall we big up Big as blog writer of the season and thank him for averaging two posts a week and single handedly keeping the wretched beast alive, or simply not bother. What do you reckon?

Oh ok, I get it

Let’s just annoy each other all summer shall we πŸ™‚

No, I think we should keep it quiet that without his postal efforts the wretched beast would have slunk away into the darkness, curled up and expired.

Cavani? Nah, Ollie is way better πŸ™‚

Who is that at 5:36?

Got a mate staying who has done this
    Eiger north face base jump
    ‘king hell!!!

Oh facking hell Chas, do not ever do tribute songs for the lazy bastard

5.36 is Sanchez going past Fernandinho.

True and funny story

He’s jumped of Eiger, Angel Falls, Petronas Tower and shit like that, but was at some base jumpers event in Benidorm and they were all staying top of high hotel. First night, wasted up in a bedroom and all decided to jump off the balcony.
    Came in second day and all had been moved to 1st floor rooms πŸ™‚

ok thanks

Hayzoos on a bike, that base jump, wow.

There was me thinking getting in the North Sea at the end of May made me feel alive!

I presume that suit thing they wear enables them to fly out past the advancing cliff faces on their way down.
    How can you fall at such speed and have such total control over your body and senses?
    Love the shadow in shot.

Chas
    Had me mate wiff waff sam over as well, and we all just sat jaws dropped listening to his stories
    He’s had some seriously close shaves in his life

Flags are looking good despite yesterday’s battering.

Whatever dings your bell, I suppose. πŸ™‚
    Right, off to work.
    Ta-ra.

Yes ta ra indeed

Big,
    When you finally bother to get up, please note we did NOT thank you

Pop back later

162. X11 says:

I am a good boy, and would like to thank The Oracle for all the great Posts throughout the season.

Of course being The Oracle you would know that already!! πŸ™‚

I really appreciate you not thanking me. It is an honour not to be thanked and would like to thank my wife, children, manager, agent, director, fellow bloggers, wordpress and the higher power etc etc

I really hate Yellow Submarine. Really, really hate it

Phew. The base jump!!

Wish I had the cojones (and the youth) to try extreme sports. Cycling up a hill is as extreme as I get.

Alexis Sanchez rescues a woman from rough security guards

“β€˜I want to stay’ Arsenal star puts an end to summer transfer speculation”. Guess who’s that star

168. Red Arnie says:

Motning all.

More of the same, Raddy, we expect high productivity and super quality from you! πŸ™‚

Chas. Lovely videos. What a load of scuffed lucky poke-ins! disgraceful. πŸ˜›

Forget about Giro, forget the numpties that fans want to buy but Arsene wont, the future is Sanogo and Akpom. πŸ˜›

Glad you are well, GN5. Good man, Kelsey. Its one of those days. Even Micky loves the Yellow Submarine.

As you see, Shard, I agree with you. πŸ™‚ Giro is the best back-to-goal striker in the world. Maybe this genre is not right for us, I dont know, or maybe it just is our thing. Plus, he is strong. In a team of crocks, he is one player that can remain fit all season. An upgrade will be good, but please please please not just any numpty, a 30 goal a year star please.

Otherwise, we have Sanogo etal. πŸ˜›

169. Red Arnie says:

170. Red Arnie says:
  171. Red Arnie says:

No thanks also to Micky and Chas. On the darkest days when everyone seems to be bereft of any positive thoughts, along comes a Micky filler just like magic and gathers a century or two of comments. Priceless. πŸ™‚

and Chas. what would we do without his space and time-filling utter filth? πŸ™‚

a bit of gossip as DidIt loves it so much

Chavs started stalking Messi, who hates the current Barca manager and the feeling is mutual. Dirty Jose hoped that he can capitalize on this rift and he can snatch Llonel In no time Maureen would train Messi to park busses on a sixpence.

But Barca said that if there is a problem between Messi and the manager, then the manager has to go.

So, Chavs are looking elsewhere and why bother doing their homework, when genius Wenger can do it for them. So they moved onto our target Gonzalo Higuain

Can we believe any of this shit?

Raddy
    That is sooo much better than good
    It’s hysterical. Absolutely priceless
    Love it. Love it πŸ™‚

ps Chas sent a new post

Morning all.Going to be gone most of today but look forward to reading a Chas post later. X11. We of course move on and will increase our hugs and man love over the coming days.

175. Red Arnie says:

Raddy. Priceless. πŸ™‚

176. Red Arnie says:

Chas’ post?

Maybe we should leave the chas post until tomorrow

Raddy
    Stick it up now if you’re about
    If it’s utter garbage and gets say three comments this afternoon we can tear it down in the morning, but if it is really steamy we can let the filth run for a week or so πŸ™‚

The FA have charge Jack with bringing the game into disrepute – I despair 😦 it’s been a year and they still haven’t charged Malkie Mackay for his racist emails!!

180. Shard says:

It seems the FA are offended by the use of the word ‘Tottenham’.

The only reason the FA have acted, is the only reason they ever act on anything. The media made a whole lot of noise about it, and it’s an easy enough thing to do, or rather, be seen to be doing.

But if the FA think they can charge Arsenal players at an Arsenal event, which apart from their cup being there has no FA involvement, then they should be hiring private eyes to make sure players behave themselves at all times, in a manner the FA decides. FFS, this was an Arsenal event with no chance of inciting violence or anything of the sort. And can footballers not say the word ‘shit’ or the truth about another club anymore, ever in their lives? But then they also charged Theo with inciting violence for signalling the score of the match.

No chance those pedophile chants across the country (and ManU actually have a blogger who was quite vehement that Ferguson was wrong for saying that they should stop – even though it took him and ManU near 15 years to just do that much) are going to invite any action even though they are broadcast all around the world. No, by FA’s logic that is fine since it only brings Arsene Wenger into disrepute.

Fucking Absurd.

181. Offended of Totteringham says:

Micky @ 2:00

This is filthy! I hope the FA charge you;

“Raddy, Stick it up now, if you’re about”.

Offended of Totteringham

Well said Shard.

The hypocrites on TalkSport were the ones who made Jack’s sing song the main news the day after we’d won a record 12th FA cup and now they are saying that the FA is wrong to press charges.

Of course the FA are wrong. Even totnum fans accept it as football banter – they’d love a player who is as much a fan of the club he plays for as Jack.

183. Shard says:

Well I wouldn’t know that Rasp. Seeing as there are no Tottenham fans where I live πŸ˜€

184. X11 says:

You are correct, both of you, [Rasper and Shard] the whole thing is a manufactured storm in a cup.

The worst you can say about Jack’s chant is that it reflects the mores of the time where even the fair sex are often heard using expletives.

What next? A $1,000 fine for scratching your ass, or picking your nose, or spitting in public?

Umm, no — that won’t work — the players all do those things in close up on the TV screens in every game.

Double standards at work here?

On a personal note, I wish that Jack and Shard would not do it – cussing and swearing is not very enamouring – but a lot of peeps do it, so….. πŸ™‚

185. Shard says:

Oh get off it RA.

I believe that swearing and curse words, though not very imaginative (especially in English πŸ™‚ ), often enough convey exactly the intended meaning, and as such are legitimate to use.

Both Jack’s use of the song, and I believe my ‘foul mouthed rant’ at the FA does just this.

There are plenty of ways to be rude without using the supposedly bad words, and often that rudeness is ignored or doesn’t register with people. I’d much rather be sworn at than abused in that manner. It’s more honest πŸ™‚ So for me, swearing is not an issue. Not pretty, but effective, as long as it is used judiciously.

Now..Can someone teach me the ‘My old man’ chant? πŸ™‚

186. Red Arnie says:

Shard@3:20. “It seems the FA are offended by the use of the word β€˜Tottenham’.” πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Rasp, Redders (and X11 and Offended of Totteringham). πŸ™‚

Refresh your screen and have a look at the top of the page …..

Football’s a funny old game … you can be the head of an association (actually a charity) that extorts hundreds of millions and get away with it for years, yet start a football chant that is sung at every Arsenal game and you’re in trouble 😦

189. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha. Brilliant, Rasp. πŸ™‚ are we OK to publish that banner, though? looks a bit like the official line of AA. I am OK with it if other bloggers are. πŸ˜›

It simply asks the question Red Arnie ….. no expletives were used in the making of this banner πŸ˜†

191. Red Arnie says:

Rasp. πŸ˜†

192. X11 says:

You are simply repeating what I said, Shard, using different words.

Swearing and other such behaviour, often referred to as ‘industrial language’ is now endemic and used all too frequently.

As I said, it would be my wish for Jack, and you, not to do it, but the choice is yours (and his). I do not want to even contemplate trying to persuade anyone not to do it, it would be pointless and like swimming against the deluge.

You can sometimes be very authoritarian and proscriptive in your views, [now there is a surprise] but at least allow me to express a preference, as I try not to swear myself, as frankly, my dear, I find it lazy and pretty disgusting, but if you feel the need to convey your feelings in that manner……..swear away. There are plenty of perfectly nice people who do.

Are the FA going to punish this Big Friendly German next? ……

Apologies in advance Redders ……

If I can jump in on the swearing debate. It’s all about time and place and context.

Habitual swearing is pointless, it just becomes a form of punctuation. Swearing with humour in the right company can be entertaining – as Per Mertesacker appreciates.

196. X11 says:

Rasp,

It is a pity we cannot call on 26M for a legal perspective, but it seems to me, that if Jack was indeed asking what the fans thought of Totnum and repeating their reply, he could not possibly be offending anyone with the adjectival riposte ‘sh*t’, because there is no such entity as ‘Totnum’.

Thank goodness no one heard me asking ‘What do you think of Klingons?’ Riposte: ‘Ugly galoots’. πŸ™‚

197. Jeremy says:

Love the banner. Nice

Exactly Redders. It’s pure nonsense to penalise Jack.

Maybe this sort of pomposity is why large parts of Europe and the rest of the world aren’t that keen on us Brits … they think we are a bit ‘up ourselves’

199. RC78 says:

At the end of the day – he got a bit of a lecture from AFC and apologized…that said – We do hate the Spuds and it was good to rub it in their face πŸ™‚

Thanks Jack, I won’t tell the rest of the world your alias is Jeremy πŸ™‚

Hi RC, as others have said, the manu fans were allowed to get away with singing the most disgusting things about Arsene and the tots still regularly use the ‘Y’ word. Double standards upon double standards.

202. X11 says:

There really is no need to apologise for anything, Rasper, I agree that swearing can be funny when used for comedic affect.

I am not sensitive about the use of such language, it is all around me – I just prefer if it were not the default position in day to day language, such as;

“i am here to effing fix the effing TV because I effing understand you have no effing picture – effing useless these these effing new machines.”

The man who made that effing comment had me in fits of effing laughter, as he was quite unaware he was effing effing. πŸ™‚

203. Red Arnie says:

During the screening at the Ems, I received several nudges from the missus for my “inappropriate” use of the French language. I hope Peaches and Rasp were not offended. πŸ˜›

204. Red Arnie says:

oh dear, RC78 is here. πŸ˜› sorry, inappropriate use of the Bengali language, not French. πŸ˜›

In that case …..

…….. Stan Boardman never worked on British TV again after telling that joke πŸ˜• The funniest thing is watching Des O’Connor squirming on the sofa as the punchline approaches.

207. X11 says:

πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ Brilliant, Rasper!!

Damn I hate laughing sitting at a computer by myself – when the landlady came in just now I told her I was laughing at some Geordie (?) called Stan Boardman telling a joke about 24 Fokkers.

She sniffed and said, “those people are disgusting, talking about f*ckers” πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

I fell about laughing all over again. Just wiped the tears from my eyes.

Lovely joke which deeply offended Mrs Raddy and the entire Danish nation.

Rasp should be brought before the AA disciplinary committee

209. X11 says:

Rasp,

I take it Boardman was a comedian? Did he really get sacked for that? That would have been petty. 😦

I had difficulty understanding him at first – actually on replaying it, I think he was a scouser – and my Manchester landlady would not be impressed. She is really nice, in her 70s and never raises her voice, even when cross with us, and definitely never swears.

I will have to go and explain to her that the Fokker was a plane – not Boardman. πŸ™‚

Hi Raddy, I read your question the other day about the guitar solo. Great solo, perfect for the song, but probably not the most demanding technically πŸ˜›

Yes Redders, Boardman never worked on TV again as far as I know. Times change, there are now films like Meet the Fockers with a 13 rating.

David Cameron said (I believe it was him) that people who twitter are twats – and nothing was said.

212. Shard says:

X11

I was being flippant in my reply to you by telling you to ‘come off it’, as I thought the smileys would indicate, (and would hope that you understood that anyway – c’est la vie) but was actually expressing agreement with you, for the most part. In fact players scratching their bottoms and picking their noses was going to be included in my comment as examples of the absurdity of the FA.

I agree that swearing is too prevalent and also lazy and unimaginative. I said as much. Which wasn’t plagiarisim. I WAS agreeing with you, while disagreeing as to it being unnecessary all the time. I also thought the part about it being more honest is a relevant one. It’s juvenile, but it’s also simple and straightforward. I respect your choice to not express yourself in that manner, I was simply stating my preference, which I stress again, is not absolute. I wouldn’t want someone to come into a meeting and cursing his way through it. etc etc.

Now are we going to dance around in circles about who is actually restricting the others’ freedom of opinion/speech? Because while you are not the only one I have offended with my ‘authoritarian’ ways, I don’t recall ever telling anyone what to do, though I am not shy of stating an opinion strongly enough if I hold it strongly enough.

213. X11 says:

It goes to what I said earlier, Rasp, times they are a-changing – all over there world.

Yes Redders, we mustn’t go there …… but ….. people are being murdered across the world for things they have said/written or believe whilst others perpetrate atrocities and go unpunished …. its a mad, mad, mad, mad world to quote another film title

215. X11 says:

Oh, come off it, Shard. πŸ˜€

You did not offend me. I am pleased we are in agreement, as my original comment was supporting agreement of the original comments of you and the Rasper.

[I never used the word ‘necessary’ so not sure what you meant by, “while disagreeing as to it being unnecessary all the time.”]

All’s well that ends well – we all agree that the FA are the bad guys here. πŸ˜€

Rasp. Being an acoustic boy that solo is very complex!

I am strictly rhythm and don’t want to make it cry and sing (though these days I love a bit of acoustic blues lead)

217. Shard says:

Damn you RA. Can’t even let me stay mad at you..

I think I have found the perfect gift for you.

218. X11 says:

Shard, πŸ˜€

219. Red Arnie says:

Love the “Made in Taiwan” bit! πŸ˜›

Apparently this says “Are Shit” on the other side.

221. The Cockie Monster says:

I dont get all this furor over Jacks stating of a fact !……everyone knows Totnumb is shit !……This combined with them living in our very dark shadow means that the Vitamin D deficient residents of N17 are the worlds largest producers of Fungus !.
    N17 is full of allotments and poly tunnels with Mushrooms growing out of Spuds rectums !.
    They start off at a young age, no dummies ( pacifiers ) for babies, they`re stuck straight into a Cloche with a button mushroom plug plant stuck up it` arse !.

Kept in the dark and fed shit is their club motto !…….” Servo in atrum qoud nutritor fimus forever propter umbra ! “

222. Lieutenant Bunnyman mobile says:

BBC3 9pm might be worth a watch

223. X11 says:

Thanx, Chas Bunnyman, πŸ™‚

I will watch it at 12:30 a.m., as I am out and about for a Chinese later on. Yippee.

The food, Shard – Chinese food! πŸ˜€

question to all the clever clogs – Why is it the FBI investigating FIFA?

Hi Eddie, I think the excuse they were looked for was that some of the bribes were paid in U.S. Dollars – but I think the septics were miffed that their World Cup bid was rejected and that Russia and an Arab state had fixed the voting

right Rasp, so what you are saying is that they appointed themselves to investigate. The reason might be revenge for not being chosen

Sound plausible I suppose

227. X11 says:

Eddie,

The FIFA mob allegedly used American banks to move their money in and out of the States, and to pay American citizens and broke US laws on racketeering, fraud etc.

The FBI are a federal force having jurisdiction over all the criminal activities across all the states and commonwealth.

So, they are using extradition to get alleged naughty people back to the US to face justice.

Simples. πŸ™‚

228. The Cockie Monster says:

Chuck Berry and now Chuck Blazer………………why do Americans have such a disregard for clothes ?.

Just to stick a real sour note onto your palates first thing, the nice people of Qatar refused to hand back passports to Nepalese construction slaves wanting to return to Nepal to see families (some dead) post earthquakes.

The owl is not learning to fly, he is pretending to be a Lancaster bomber out of The Dambusters

Why would anyone think a World Cup in Qatar was a good idea and only chosen on merit?
    FIFA just said, yeah we know we’re corrupt and have accepted bribes, but nobody has done anything about it before so we’ll be able to get away with it again, however ridiculous it may be.

Not intervening when it was obvious people were dying just to build football stadiums; just so sad.

In other news, Jack is a very naughty boy and should be punished. Why is the world so weird?

Jack is a bit thick and asks for attention
    BUT
    He’s a Gooner, and therefore innocent at all times πŸ™‚

If you make chicken and chorizo stew the night before does the chicken go all stringy and tough the next day?

I’ve got the lads round for Champy Leaguey night on Saturday and wanted to make a big pot of something. Possibly with an Italian or Spanish theme.
    This is favourite so far.
    Any suggestions?

Blue Feet!!!!
    Oh get outa here and behave

Must go. Mobile in a bit.

Take away pizza
    Ten crates of San Miguel
    Get pissed
    Hurl

Morning All

Just to be clear …..

If anyone wishes to bribe me with couple of million dollars, first class travel anywhere, rolex watches, ladies of pleasure, the finest wines and food, etc etc I am open for business

And so would you be!!

chas. The chicken shouldn’t go stringy, When warming on saturday night use a low heat and simmer (the stew not you!)

Or have a go at Spezatinno di Manzo washed down with some Dulcetto D’Alba

Difference between them and us Big is this.
    We’d take the bribes, the women and all the frills, then screw the bastards and give the World Cup to someone nice πŸ™‚

“Spezatinno di Manzo washed down with some Dulcetto D’Alba”
    What, followed by some Violet Creams?

Raddy,
    Chas and his mates are blokes. They are football fans, and they are English, not a bunch of poncey continental interlectual leftie woofters.

That shows how bloody INTERLECTUAL I am πŸ™‚

Exactly right Micky.

I hate the hypocrisy.

In a secret ballot there is no question I would do what you suggest.

😳

And what is wrong with violet creams?

247. X11 says:

BR,

Don’t get him going on ‘Violet creams’ – a very rude innuendo.

Bah! Humbug!

Violet creams require a delicate and refined palate to be enjoyed.

Seawater has destroyed Didit’s taste buds. And as to humbugs …. only suitable for Northerners

249. X11 says:

Chas,

In my experience of casserole type things, I find that after cooking, allow to cool before putting in fridge overnight.

The casserole flavours will be more intense — warm up slowly until piping hot and it will be delish – and the chicken/meat will not be stringy.

Learned that in the middle east when it was my turn to cook for a bunch of guys on a project. πŸ™‚

250. X11 says:

I enjoyed Violet too – not too sure about the palate.

251. Red Arnie says:

motning all.

the next FIFA vote will be interesting. Will the footballing nations of teh world give a vote of confidence to Europe? Yet again?

Particularly if there is no bribe to be offered. Somehow I doubt it.

you are all talking bollix!
    you would take bribes to make sure that the world cup will take place in Qatar in the middle of the EPL season with a prospect of our lads coming back dehydrated, with skin cancer and maybe without their passports?,

253. Red Arnie says:

The WC should be forever played in Europe. Minus Russia and the former East Bloc of course. So that the Europeans do not have to brave the weather and environments in other parts of the world!

ha. they may as well play under their mother’s skirts! what a load of rubbish! corruption is bad, but this is a load of tosh!

Are there any admin about? I’ve put chas’ post into drafts but I’ve got extra grandma duties this morning so I might forget to publish.

Anyone there?

Eddie. Absolutely. My thinking as a FIFA rep: I am not going to playing, I will be staying in a 5 star hotel with jacuzzi, running women and as much sushi as I can eat.

Why would I care about the fans or players?

A few mill in a Swiss bank would relieve any bad conscience.

Think about it like this; the football world was looking at the FIFA elections yet even with the howling of the world’s media stories of corruption Bladder still won. What does that tell you about the voting delegates?

Peaches. Will do.

oi arnie!!! why not Eastern Block? The European cup was played in Poland and Ukraine a couple of years ago and as I remember it was a great success.

Would you rather is was played in India????? Players with Delhi belly?

258. Red Arnie says:

yes, why not Evonne? the spread of the game is an important principle. it is great that Africa is playing good football. without bribes would be better, though.

do they play football in Antarctica? can we have a WC there?

apparently Blatter has so much dirt on other delegates that they were too scared not to vote for him.

Raddy – you and DidIt would accept bribes and women because you have limited amount of money and only one gorgeous woman each. BUT if you were on FIFA’s officials salary you would be filthy rich anyway, so would you really be greedy enough to send our boys to a dessert?

Eddie. You have too much faith in people.

Power corrupts,

Yes Eddie, without a moments thought.

What a marvellous sight. Terry and his loathsome chums all wilting in the sun while we suck on a cocktail AND a gorgeous hooker

Ask a very poor person in say, India, what they’d rather have. Their country hosting the world cup giving lots of lovely money to large construction companies, or a free telly and cool beers for the duration of the tournament.

No brainer. Nobody gives a shit about hosting the wretched thing.

The trick is to use thigh meat, not breast in your chicken and chorizo stew.

Although I have to admit right now that I have a quite brilliant solution to the whole sordid affair.

A post to enlighten will follow. If I’m bribed.

265. Red Arnie says:

no Micky, not only “giving lots of lovely money to large construction companies”, but to corrupt FIFA officials. Led by Europe, if I may add! Sorry, minus England, maybe. πŸ˜›

Oh dear Micky. Are we cynics or realists?

New Post

I have enough money and no interest in hookers or champagne, and therefore you cannot bribe me πŸ™‚

Or blackmail me – someone tried recently and landed on their arse πŸ™‚

laters, cucumbers to plant

268. X11 says:

The World Cup is a ‘world’ cup — that is the whole point.

Of course the venue should be rotated to all parts of the world, and there should simply be a lottery of all those countries who want to spend their money on building the necessary infrastructure etc.

If Qatar had been selected on that basis, so be it.

What I do not understand Red Arnie is why you get so hung up on the concept of European ‘domination’. You have been here long enough to know that Europe is not a cohesive whole, as even with the EU the individual countries are quite different and have different views on just about everything, and agree on very little.

India, Brazil, China, Russia and the US will be the power houses in the future.

269. It’s actually a nice and helpful piece of information. I am glad that you just shared this useful info with us.
    Please stay us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.