An Arsenal fans adventures in Northern Ontario.

Here are some key facts about Ontario:

• In summer, temperatures can soar above 30°C (86°F), while in winter they can drop below -40°C (-40°F)
  • Ontario is Canada’s second largest province, covering more than 1 million square kilometres (415,000 square miles) – an area larger than France and Spain combined. Ontario is bounded by Quebec to the east, Manitoba to the west, Hudson Bay and James Bay to the north, and the St. Lawrence River and the Great Lakes to the south.
  • Ontario is home to 2 time zones: the boundary line between the Central Time Zone and Eastern Time Zone is just west of Thunder Bay, running north from the United States border to Hudson Bay.
  • Ontario’s more than 250,000 lakes contain about one-fifth of the world’s fresh water. The Great Lakes include Lake Superior, Lake Michigan, Lake Huron, Lake Erie and Lake Ontario.
  • The combined shoreline of the Great Lakes is equal to about 45% of the earth’s circumference.
  • The 5 Great Lakes are the world’s biggest continuous body of fresh water.
  • The Great Lakes Basin covers an area of 750,000 square kilometres – this basin includes 8 US states, most of southern Ontario and extends into northern Ontario.
  • Ontario’s varied climate and geography support habitat for more than 3,600 species of plants, 154 species of fish, 50 species of amphibians and reptiles, 483 species of birds, and more than 81 species of mammals. In Ontario’s southernmost regions, you will find prickly pear cactus and sassafras trees, while polar bears roam our northern tundra.
  • Common fish in Ontario include yellow perch, bluegill, northern pike, salmon, walleye, brook trout, brown trout, speckled trout, lake trout and rainbow trout. The mammals that call Ontario home include beavers, black bears, muskrats, gray wolves, white-tailed deer and walrus. Familiar birds include blue jays, northern cardinals, great blue herons, red-tailed hawks, great horned owls and pileated woodpeckers. Look carefully and you might see some reptiles and amphibians, including eastern garter snakes, northern leopard frogs, eastern massasauga rattlesnakes, midland painted turtles or one of 11 types of salamanders and newts.

Leaving England behind to move to Canada was not an easy choice but leaving my beloved Arsenal was far worse; but that’s another story. My wife and I docked in Quebec City on the first day of June after 8 glorious and somewhat riotous days abroad the Empress of Canada (yet another story). We had arranged to temporarily stay in Toronto with my sister Gloria and her husband Barry. Ontario’s 250,000 lakes and 100,000 miles of rivers created endless opportunities for Barry who was an avid outdoorsman and he was passionate about fresh water fishing while I’d never cast a line in my life – after all there weren’t too many fishing spots to find in Highbury.

A few weeks after our arrival Barry mentioned that he had saved up some vacation time and wanted to go on a canoe trip in Northern Ontario, he asked if I would like to accompany him on the trip and assured me that he was an experienced canoeist. I was somewhat worried as I was a poor swimmer but he showed me the maps of the planned route and assured me that he had selected calm rivers that had no rapids or stretches of white water – so I reluctantly agreed to go.  Over the next few weeks we put together the equipment and supplies that we would need for my first outdoors adventure.

Our only means of transport was Barry’s MG Coupe, the canoe was strapped onto the roof and our backpacks and minimal supplies were stuffed into the rear of the car which completely blocked the view out of the rear window. On our 1,000 kilometre journey up Route 101 to Groundhog River we got many strange sideways glances from other drivers. Arriving at our destination we simply drove the MG into the bushes and covered it with foliage – we were out in the middle of nowhere so it did not seem that illogical to Barry. We had to make several reconnoitring trips back and forth to find the best route down to the river and spot to launch from but finally we made our decision got all of our gear down to the river; once the canoe was loaded we set off on our journey into parts unknown.

It was now late afternoon and even though we were tired from the last part of our road journey we had made up our minds to camp on a certain loop in the river. An hour or so later we were approaching the spot where we had planned on camping when the sound of rushing water caught our attention, as we turned the next bend we were confronted by a very long stretch of fast moving white water. We made a valiant attempt to negotiate our way around the rocks but to our dismay the canoe tipped; we were in the water and our supplies were bobbing off down the river. Not being a strong swimmer I feared the worst but you can imagine my relief when I discovered that the water was only thigh deep.

Even though Barry had misjudged the “calmness” of the river he had been smart enough to insist on packing all of our supplies and provisions in air tight plastic bags – so we hoped that we would be able to recover them once we got ourselves together, however our birch-bark canoe was wedged between two very large rocks and it had a sizeable hole in the side.  Barry’s outdoors knowledge now came in very handy, he cut a strip of bark from a Balsam fir tree which he whittled into shape then used that plus the tree’s natural sap to patch up the hole; we then propped the canoe up get a good air flow and simply waited for the sap to harden and seal the hole.

I stayed with the canoe and lit a fire for our overnight camp while Barry who was big, strong and swam like a fish, set off down the river looking for our missing gear.  He returned about an hour later with the oar we were missing and one bag of supplies which he found snagged up at the side of the river. Fortunately the bag contained our fishing gear so we were able to catch some Pickerel (Walleye) which we cleaned and then cooked by skewering them on sticks and grilling them over our camp fire – they tasted absolutely delicious! The night was uneventful, other than the sound of wolves howling in the distance. Having no supplies we ate more fish for breakfast, it was to become our main food source.

The “Barry” patch had completely dried, no water was leaking into the canoe and it lasted for the entire trip. We didn’t want to risk the rapids again so we portaged around them and set off again once the river calmed down; it was to turn out to be a beautiful early morning row along a very calm river – we had no idea of the time as we had neglected to bring along a watch. Later in the day we found our other two bags of gear, snagged up at the riverside, so all was going well – until we saw moose grazing in the shallows just down the river, they are huge animals and a bull moose can stand 7 feet tall and weigh 900 lbs, so we made the only sensible choice we could and stopped right where we were until they had eaten their fill. We found a clearing and set up camp for the night, our “tent” was simply our canoe turned upside down and propped up with some sticks, Barry slept with his head at one end and GN5 at the other end, we had each purchased a US army surplus mummy type sleeping bag, which proved to be a very wise buy.

With our recovered bags we now had some provisions for a “slap up” meal – fresh walleye and dried veggies; we had taken along two small tin saucepans, one frying pan, and two knives and forks. Having no oil or grease we filled the frying pan with river water and poached the fish, we boiled the dried vegetables in a saucepan and in the second one we boiled water for our coffee. This was our diet until we ran out of vegetables and from then on we just ate whatever species of fish we caught – so we had to catch fish or go hungry!

Day 3 started off wet and windy which made for some very difficult canoeing; we passed under a railway bridge; the only means of transportation for hundreds of square miles was by rail, river or lake, there were no roads, we had noted on our maps that there was an abandoned gold mine near the bridge – so we decided to see if we could locate the mine.

We could not get up to ground level on the mine side of the river as it was a sheer rock face while the other side was an earth embankment. As we had canoed up we had heard a train so we felt safe in walking across the trestle bridge but to our horror when we were on the bridge we heard another train in the distance and had to get over to the other side in a real hurry, we stood at the side as the train passed and incredibly it slowed down and stopped. Shortly afterwards the engineer walked back, he had seen us and thought we were waiting for a ride, he explained that it was normal for them to pick up random people along the route. He inquired about our well being (most likely worried about our sanity); this was to be typical of the friendly, concerned manner of the Northern Ontario people that we met on the trip.

The train went on its way, we took a compass setting and trekked off in the direction of the Joburg mine, we found an old overgrown trail which could only have been created by the constant flow of people between the railway line and the mine so off we went down the trail. Reality and fear crept in when we saw bear paw prints in the muddy trail and then moose prints so we quickly turned tail and headed back to the bridge as our Bowie knives would have been no defence at all. Our choices left us in a real quandary – bears, moose behind or the bridge ahead, obviously we choose the bridge and lived to tell that tale – dozens, maybe hundreds of times.

This is only up to day 3 of a 30 plus day trip – but I’ll stop right there for now and test your interest for more tales.

Barry Stuart Harvey passed away December17th 2014 but his stories will live on……

RIP my good friend.

Written by GunnerN5

GunnerN5

90 Responses to An Arsenal fans adventures in Northern Ontario.

Absolutely fantastic read, GN5.

Can we have Part 2 before lunch? 🙂

A friend of mine (botanist and all round explorer type) made a similar trip, and said Northern Canada was one of the wildest, most unspoilt areas on earth. They flew North in a float plane, then paddled back (downhill) for about a month as well, and the stories you tell of mooses, bears and fish echo his tales.

Any pics?

Brilliant read GN5 and a fantastic advert for the Ontario Tourist Board (I’m packing my bags and booking a floght 🙂 ) and a touching tribute to Barry.

All that space, all that fresh air, all that water, all those fish – why does anyone want to come to the UK?

True Rasp
    I read a book recently that had two principal characters. One, a loon who lived alone in the wilds (of Alaska) and the other, a float plane pilot who used to effectively taxi people and supplies out to loons and small communities.
    I would love to have been the pilot

GN5
    Assuming that the trip was in July, were you eaten by midges and mosquitoes?

Wow, simply superb, GN5.
    Thank you very much for taking the time to share.
    Very much looking forward to days 4 through to 30. 🙂

You’ve got me keen on looking up some of the animals and birds you’ve written about, so I thought I’d share them.
    (obviously I’d love to see some photos of your trip, though)

Northern Cardinal

Great Blue Heron

Pileated Woodpecker

Any wild beaver?

Smut ban on such a wonderful post.

Absolutely brilliant GN5. What a life Canada must provide. I would emigrate there myself but my passport has been confiscated.

I had a similar experience travailing the Bounds Green canal GN5.

Myself, Peter, and Thick Steve decided to ditch the suits and partake this dangerous but beautiful trek. There wife’s didn’t want them to take the risk, mine was all in favour.

We set off at 5 in the morning from behind Mydletton Road. It was a bit scary because we noticed a pair of angry geese giving us the eye, but we plucked up courage and set off.

After about 100 yards we realised that Ahmet had ripped us off with the canoe, it had a whole in it. So Thick Steve would have to spend the whole week paddling the water out.

The wildlife was amazing, I had never felt so alive. We spotted a fox rummaging through a bin and a couple of crows having a fight. I also thought i spotted the Bounds Green loch ness monster, but it turned out to be a Wellington boot with a childs football in it.

As the day drew on we started encountering people by the bank. Mostly people with the haunted look of housing benefit walking there “I live with a benefit cheat” dogs.

Later on the day took a turn for the worse. A seagull shit on Peters head and Steve ended up up scooping a used condom on his face.

The real headaches however began as we reached the New River section of the canal. this is dangerously near to Totnumb territory, so we knew we needed tight fitting trousers.

It was then we spotted some feral youths by the bank. We knew they were Totnumb because one of them had a beer belly that extended to his forehead.

They started baiting us, proclaiming how nice it would be to bend Peter over and whether Steve enjoyed womens lingerie. We paddled as fast as we could to escape them, they becoming more enamated as one removed his trousers and pants, yelling “come back, its what Steve Perryman would want”

By the time we escaped we were exhausted. Night had fallen and we realized we were cold and hungry. We had no choice but to huddle together for warmth, the uncomfortable silence only broken with Steve proclaiming “I love you Terry”

As dawn broke our hunger consumed us. We had not eaten for 24 hours so knew we were close to death. And then, tragedy struck. Steve began feeling unwell complaining of stomach aches.

We stopped by the bank. It was then that I and Peter decided the only humane thing to do was hit Steve with a rock and put him out of his misery.

The next day we were found by the police. They had spotted our makeshift fire, which we had started by burning Steves clothes.

The police interviewed us about Steve but we felt best to tell them that Steve had taken his own life by jumping in the canal after the feral youths had made unwanted access to his bottom.

The Old Bill were very suspicious. How come we had Steves clothing as material for fire? And why were we both two stone heavier and suffering from flatulence?

I have learned my lesson GN5. Steve got off lightly were as I and Peter are for ever haunted by the harsh reality of the wild

Flippin Noras, I’d definitely like to fly through some wild Canadian bush.
    Great video.

ha ha ha ha Transplant

Bush, beaver, all bloody marvellous and right up my street

Still really impressed by Barry using bark and resin to fix the ship

Crikey
    You would have to agree that Transplant’s Bounds Green Brook adventure would expose the intrepid adventurer to far great challenges than could ever be confronted in the wilds of Northern Canada. Yikes

Morning all, it’s 7:30am here.

Thank you for the positive responses. Chas you always manage to bring things to life with your pictures and videos and Terry always writes such humorous and “enlightening” stories – thank you both.
    I have no pictures from the trip as our only camera was a casualty when we tipped the canoe.

Sadly Barry is no longer with us but he has left me with an incredible bounty of stories to tell and I’ve promised my sister Gloria and her children that I will write as many as I can. It was, and will be, very difficult for me to write them as he meant so much to me, but on the other hand it brings back memories of many wonderful adventures and experiences.

Cheers, GN5.
    Your post inspires the reader to imagine what it might have been like.
    My simple brain understands pictures easier 🙂

I can imagine if it had been me instead of you on the trip, just how much moaning I would have done when the canoe got holed.

Yes Chas I thought the damaged canoe was a disaster as we were stuck in the wilds of Northern Ontario with little or no hope of anybody else just popping by and finding us, but to Barry it was simply a hiccup.

The moose video is very true, surprisingly only a few people are killed by moose but they have wrecked many a car.

Micky, yes the mosquitoes were out in full force, but in Northern Ontario there are hordes of black fly which are far worse, they give you an awful bite that itches like hell and then swells up. We were wise enough to take along mosquito hats which had fine mesh nets that can be tied around your neck – we had two each, just in case.

That looks like a birch bark canoe Rasp, our one was brownish tan colour. He was also catching walleye, it remains as one of my favourite fish to eat, poached or pan fried in butter, mouth watering good…………

Fantastic memories GN5, do you know what became of your canoe?

Rasp, my belief is that Barry gave it to his son but I’m really not sure. They moved down to Magnolia Mass, and later settled in Rockport Mass. Barry was born in Dover and he always yearned to return to the seacoast, Rockport is one of the most picturesque places in the U.S. – look it up on Google.

27. arnie says:

wow. just the word! only on AA can you turn up on a sleepy afternoon and find such a gem! Thank you GN5. Look forward to many more. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Regulars would know that we spend quite a bit of our time along the great lakes. Just want to give you guys a flavour of some of our experiences.

28. arnie says:

The lake whitefish is missing from GN5’s list. In fact, my third most favourite lake fish after walleye and yellow perch. Just lightly grilled with a dressing of lemon and optional ginger for a bit of flavour.

Just perfect! for me at least! 😛

29. arnie says:

bloody me! 😛

30. arnie says:

And a bird that I love to spot on my travels. The bald eagle

31. arnie says:

GN5 mentioned our other favourite companion – the while tailed deer

32. arnie says:

And finally, fishing for yellow perch on frozen lakes.

33. arnie says:

so, here was my plan for this summer. GN5 did not know, but now he does. 😛

We were supposed to visit Seattle in August, cross over to Canada, combination of train and drive all the way from west to east, hopefully meet up with GN5 and then back across the border to Michigan.

Well, that was the plan, but unfortunately it is not happening this year. Maybe later! 😛

34. arnie says:

Terry. 🙂

35. arnie says:

Chas and Micky. great stuff. 🙂 wow.

A truly splendid read, GN5, and I wonder if you had cleverly thrown a little tease into the mix, by selecting -40F which is the only temperature to convert exactly to the same numerical temperature on the Centigrade scale. [-40C]

Loved it. 🙂

Many years ago, on a trip to Canada with a friend, he wanted to go to Kicking Horse Mountain to see the glaciers and grizzly bears.The glaciers were so shrouded in cloud that we saw sod all – but we saw a grizzly and were staggered by its size – I cannot remember much about it – I was still drinking in those days, but it was at a sanctuary I think – but I do remember being scared of the bugger.

You are obviously a latter day Loius Joliet. More please. 😀

Trying to recall the number of wild animals while I was in Canada – it came to me that I made a list including Moose – [no see], Elk -[got chased by a crazy one, and saw a tourist coach disembowelled – well it had a huge tire wrecked by another boss-eyed, sexed up male elk], mountain goat – thought I saw one – but I could not tell one from a big assed, big horn sheep. There were others on the list, but………

Well – I mostly did not see very much of the native wild life – they either lay low till we went away – or more likely they have probably all been shot and eaten by mad hunters like flatulent Terry. 🙂

Hi arnie & RA,

Nice of you both to comment.

RA you are the clever one, not many people know about the -40 quirk. On my many trips to the west coast of Canada I’ve seen many grizzly bears and many bald eagles, I’ve also fished for salmon off of Victoria Island.

arnie, you should make that trip and make sure you get the train through the Rockies, it’s the most splendid ride you will take in your life, simply not to be missed. Dwell in the west as long as you can, Banff National Park and Lake Louise in Alberta are stunning sights.

Canada is an incredible country but it doesn’t have our Arsenal!

GN5,

You are right – Canada is a superb country, and I do not mind admitting that I have enjoyed Banff, Jasper, Lake Louise, Whistler — the whole tourist schtick – twice – and loved it – and will go back to Vancouver again in the future.

RA,

Fortunately I traveled to Vancouver once a month for over twenty years, during my working days, It’s one of my favorite places in North America, I had friends who lived in Squamish which is north of Vancouver, on the way up to Whistler, I stayed with them on many occasions, bald eagles nested on their property.

RA,

I managed a facility in Vancouver and the Fraser River ran through the rear of the property, we used to fish for and catch King Salmon then have an incredible barbeque, so many memories…..

Vancouver is a lovely city, GN5, with a great variety of restaurants, altho I have only been there on visits – and I love Vancouver Island too – plus, somehow, I managed to go to the odd conference [Jolly!] 🙂

You have clearly had a fantastic life – Highbury – Arsenal – Toronto with a really interesting job by the sound of it – as well as a dramatic life style change.

Rocky Doodle is well on the way to being a Canadian media-billionaire and will surely buy Arsenal by 2020. 😀

He might even give you a free season ticket -possibly – maybe – well ???? 🙂

43. arnie says:

Thanks GN5, that trip will come soon, I hope. 🙂

Bald eagles are very graceful:

Decent final anyway.

45. US military says:

Magnificent website. A lot of helpful info here. I am sending it to
    a few pals ans also sharing in delicious. And certainly, thanks for your effort!

Morning all

One of the great post school/work surfs last night. Got back to last ten mins of Juve winning, and slept like a log dreaming of flying over Canada

Tidy 🙂

November 1934 – old East Stand and facade from Avenell Road.

Caption …. “I got the new Tottenham shirt honey, how do I look?”

50. arnie says:

It is that dreaded time of the year again. yesterday evening, following the nice discussion on wildlife, I had the unfortunate experience of seeing a deer come under a car. 😦

Arnie
    Definitely not here but, if you saw the incident, you are allowed to stop and take the deer home to eat, but you are not allowed to if you were the car involved

52. arnie says:

ha ha ha, Micky. not my car. 🙂 not this time anyway.

53. arnie says:

Rasp. 🙂

54. The Cockie Monster says:

I love these male bonding stories…..first we had Micky and Biggy up Wank Mountain with the excuse of supposedly seeing a football match and now GN5 and Barry !……..after the description of the lay of the land I thought it sounded like a right shithole !…..just kidding !. hahaha
    To tell the truth, I`m wondering if Barry is still alive !……I mean, you`re in the middle of no where in an area the size of both Spain and France with no other human within a thousand miles and you decide to cover the car in camouflage !…..not the brightest of ideas by our budding brokeback boy scouts !….I mean whose going to steal the car ?…..a Moose and a Grizzly ?……yeah !, I can just see a Moose and a Grizzly pulling up in a Drive through McDonalds in the MGB and asking for 2 Bacon, Lettuce and Beaver Burger Meal Deals !. hahaha ……..Barry is still probably trying to find where he hid the MGB…..good luck with that !……great read !. 😀

Chas, That was very special I can’t thank you enough, I just wish that Barry was still alive so we could watch it together. Again, thank you my friend for being so thoughtful and taking the time to find that video – the world should have more folks like you – ta!

I will let his family know so that they can also see where we were 40 plus years back it hasn’t changed one iota, still fast running rapids, pickerel and moose just like in my story. The water level was much higher back then and we could not see most of the rocks but no wonder our birch bark canoe got holed!

I want to say more but I will be patient and tell you later,

Really pleased you liked it, GN5.

I set the video to start at the Groundhog river part of the video.
    The Nat river part at the beginning is definitely worth watching as well (if you haven’t already).
    It looks as though Barry made a great choice starting a little further downstream!

Just watched two mins of that vid and it makes me think how short life is

So many amazing things to do and most importantly find someone worth sharing them with

Back at dawn to watch the rest

I really enjoyed my brief time in Canada, on a family holiday to Fergus, Ontario to stay with family.

The lake near them was for waterskiing in summer and snowmobiling in winter. I guess why Canada is called land of extremes.

My cousins make the most of the wide open spaces available to them to get up to all kinds of fun activities. I guess relatively cheap property prices (at least back then) mean that you can spend your money on the gear necessary to do all these pursuits.

In many ways Norfolk is like Canada, except the mountains, and lakes, and rapids. Just the wide open spaces then 🙂

I went on wussy white water rafting, our cousins took us, they met friends on the river in kayaks who were taking the piss out of them naturally they blamed the fact they were in an inflatable dinghy on the soft English kids 🙂

Algonquin was probably the place I liked the most on our holiday, but cliff jumping at Elora was fun as was toobinat the same place.

60. arnie says:

GiE, Peaches, Rasp, Evonne, everyone. Are we having a FAC Final Emirates excursion again? Let us decide please. Have to plan the trip then. 🙂

If anyone is bored and wants to annoy someone, then my offer of posting Raddy’s mobile number still stands 🙂

Arnie I’m afraid it’s a no go for me on Emirates trip as I will be on way to deepest darkest Cornwall watching out for Cockie and Micky’s tourist ambush traps. I’ll be listening for the sound of banjos all the way.

66. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all,
    Thank you Gn5, for a wonderfull insight into your life in Canada. For sure that is a very special place in your heart, when an Englishman and his family leave England and Settle in far out lands normally means they have had enough of their homeland.

It sounds like you have settled in well and prefer Canada and what it has to offer to old Blight y. I wish you well mate. Most adventurous people would simply be spell bound by your stories and so they should, personally i would also like to visit and see for myself the wonders that you are experiencing, but where we differ, is that i have seen a lot of different countries but the pull of home has always made me homesick, England is not what it was, when i was a boy the country seemed a very special place, two world wars and several other small wars has kept our country free and allowed us a very safe and secure place to live.

Sadly England is now a place for whoever wants to come here can, The Governments present and past have allowed whoever and sundry to live here and build their future. Of course they come to better their lives from what they had, i feel its a shame that they couldn’t have put the effort into their own countries and made their native countries as good as what they feel is better.

My country is no longer mine as now i hear foreign languages where ever i go, Many believe that a multi cultural society is better than stalwart old British society, that actually put everything in place, time will be Judge.

You are now like many living here, Immigrants that were looking for somewhere better, by the sounds of it, there seems to be plenty of room over there,, Sadly room over here is getting slightly cramped, but you know the British we help everybody.

Fantastic story Gn5 keep them coming, as i feel i could be tempted 🙂

One in drafts

We could play “Guess what Exile’s post is all about?”

Exploring Norwich Farmers Market stark bollock naked armed with just a knife and fire starting flint

69. chas mobile says:

Dressed in three quarter length trousers.

70. chas mobile says:

Sexiest tractor

71. chas mobile says:

Sexiest rib eye steak with a pmogranate joux

72. chas mobile says:

My 10 best centre forward take outs.

73. chas mobile says:

Redneck adventures on the Norfolk Broads

Sat in the sunshine in a mountainside cafe. Only the birds and the passing stream for a soundtrack.

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed GN5’s excellent post.

Seriously not cool Raddy
    Now is not the time to be banging on about licking gelato al limones or whatever
    Can’t you tell there’s a fucking crisis over at AA HQ
    Perhaps you’d like to consider the 2:45 Easy Jet flight
    I never ever thought I’d say this, and it hurts, but we need you
    Hippy 🙂

Why wouldn’t you?

What are folks thoughts on having some fill in summer posts based on our various travel stories? I’m sure that many of us have some great tales to tell. I would be happy to write a few, and some of you could write about your away game experiences.

I would imagine that Raddy, Eddie, Chas, Micky, RA, GIE and Norfolk to name but a few of us would have some great yarns.

Thoughts?

Like like you have to publish your own posts these days.

Oh well Friday afternoon seems as good a time as any for a bit of light hearted fun.

New post……