Can we Garry Monk on Swansea?

Our record against the Swans hasn’t been that impressive since they came back up into the top tier. They play good football with high possession stats and tend to keep the ball on the deck. After all as Brian Clough once said, “If God had wanted us to play football in the clouds, he’d have put grass up there.”

Swansea also play with nippy wingers and pace up front. Their goal-scoring threat has diminished somewhat with the sale of Bony but they’ve still had a good season and seem certain to finish top half. That Gylfi chap has an annoying habit of trying to put a smile on his spud mates’ faces. (have I got that right, RA 🙂 ?)

swansea head to head

Enough of them.

I wish Rambo was fit for tonight as he seems to relish playing against his old South Wales foes. Then again, Jack’s re-emergence into the sunlight was fairly thrilling so perhaps he’ll get a shot at being played out of position on the right!

Here’s my team for tonight………

football-pitch-template-powerpoint_2

Micky loves the tune to the accompanying song. Number One is Perry Groves, Number Two is Perry Groves, Number Three is….

Perhaps we can think of a version for Wembley as it involves the right colour?

I’m 57.5% confident for tonight’s game.

Up The Arse.

Written by

chas

146 Responses to Can we Garry Monk on Swansea?

1. dhakka09 says:

another excellent post, Chas.
    -silent admirer

2. chas mobile says:

Cheers, dk09.

We need to score early and then every ten minutes thereafter. 🙂

3. RC78 says:

great post

seems AW will give Walcott a start, which is good news 🙂

Apparently, AW said that Giroud, Wellbeck and Walcott will be his ST next year and that Walcott will get more playing time at ST…

That means that we should expect the signing of one/two wingers maybe

What do you think Nicholas Bendtner is doing right now…………

Thanks for the read Chas.

Chas
    Thanks for not being a lazy bastard and going on holiday
    Great pm and I’d love to see Jack start and also Theo in the middle

6. arnie says:

lovely stuff, Chas. 🙂

Up the Arse. I love the lineup! 😛

Hoping for a creative fast game. One goal in the first 10 mins, and so on ….. 🙂 COYG. 🙂

Would love to see Jack and Theo play. COYG.

Thanks chat, apologies for the late arrival. I really want us to get 2nd so I’d be happy to start with Theo and Jack but otherwise the team that has been doing so well recently.

8. Ant says:

9. chas mobile says:

Tottenham?!!!!!!;
    What do you think of Tottenham?

10. Ant says:

It will be cool to see Walcott start today. Guys, check this link: speedyincomeformula.net, you’ll like what it has to say.

A really excellent pre-Match, Chas, to shame that ne’er-do-well absconder. 🙂

And as to those damned grammatical possessive commas – spot on.
    — But then, you knew that! 🙂

Ant,

Not necessarily the case for those of us not too keen on Theo. :-0

Ant,

You did not show the lower nether regions of Chas’s anatomy, and it was probably a good thing, as crapping on the flowers is an indictable offence. 😀

13. The Cockie Monster says:

I find the headline to be a disgusting rhyme & slang innuendo !……………..so I like it ! . 😀

14. arnie says:

COYG. 🙂

That was pretty…..average.

The crowd are suffering from rigour mortis — and who can blame them?

16. arnie says:

hmmmm. OK so far. have to move to a higher gear to break this defence down. COYG.

17. arnie says:

no nails left. 😦

18. arnie says:

not looking good. why did we take Giro off?

Every bloody shot, straight at the keeper 😦

We may as well swap the goals for barn doors

21. arnie says:

disaster

We deserved that, this is the old overplaying Arsenal I thought we’d seen the last of

23. arnie says:

cannot disagree. so many feeble attempts as well. yes, Fab had a good game, but there was hardly one shot, all scuffed attempts

I didn’t see it….well was going to watch on catch up but the goal flash appeared on my phone. A home defeat to Swansea, they do like coming to the Emirates don’t they?

Oh well 2nd place the hard way then, win our final three and makeup 9 goals. Do-able 🙂

25. dhakka09 says:

We could’ve played better but Swansea were very organized defensively. It isn’t everyday that Sanchez would find keeper with every shot/cross on goal; so chin up folks. We weren’t as bad as perceived and will get better next week. Let’s make a statement at Old Trafford and push on from there.

We were every bit as bad as perceived believe me

27. dhakka09 says:

Rasp: I need every morsel of hope I can muster right now 😞. I may be lying to myself but am not giving up yet on us finishing at least 3rd off the back of one bad game.

I think 3rd is still in our grasp, but not if we set out to play like that again. When are we ever going to develop a strategy to deal with an organised defence?

29. dhakka09 says:

Rasp: I had Bellerin, Sanchez and Handsome-French-fella in my Fantasy team, to rub salt to the wound. Need them firing to gain points over my rivals (Aguero brought me down from top of the table to 4th in the mini-league. Dejavu?)

30. stevepalmer1 says:

What a pathetic display, right from the start when Belerin was outpaced down the wing, was the last time he even attempted it. It seems that not one of our players have a shot in them scuffed, or powder puff or off target. Many players who think they are better than they actually play,

Lucas Fabianski man of the match, good luck to him, but every ball went straight at him and looked like it was kicked by a child. Show boating boring football in the first half, without any immediate penetration.

Centre forward must be a priority to the Manager , with Giroud and Walcott non existent, Against teams that defend in numbers, i feel that wing play is of the utmost importance, No wingers makes you one directional all down the centre, I felt we were predictable and without a finish we are toothless as well.

Tactics and a bit of luck took the win away from us, but if you cannot score yourself, then you hand the game to them. Wenger was Mugged off

I don’t think any of our players had a better than average game. We have to stop writing the script for other teams to mug us – it’s just too easy for them.

32. Ant says:

That’s not me selling dodgy insurance!

33. Ant says:

Walcott to start and Speedy income formula ….my arse!

34. chas mobile says:

19 times out of 20 we win that game. Don’t believe anyone who says otherwise.

Results based assessments are never going to always be accurate.

Don’t agree chas, our shooting will not always be that bad for sure, but we do struggle to break down organised defences. We either need to play with more width and get the ball forward more quickly or we should let them have possession to create space when we counter.

36. fatgingergooner says:

Not enough urgency in the first half for me. We tried everything second half but made a silly mistake. Rule number 1 in these type of games is don’t concede.

Still, what do these games really matter? We could lose to United and we would still finish third by beating Sunderland and West Brom. Not that we will lose to United anyway.

Chas
    First of all thanks for the pre-match – very enjoyable.

And second of all – thanks for your 10.35pm. I couldn’t agree more. (Sorry Rasp 🙂 )

Don’t apologise Rocky, it’s just opinions. We were tactically poor IMO and like FGG said, coasted in the first half

39. chas mobile says:

And could have had 4 or 5 goals in the second.

Devolution for Wales NOW
    Swansea OUT

Bet the crowd were shit and didn’t get behind the team at all
    At least that what a fellow Gunner said to me last night. True?

Anyway, we’re on a 100% losing streak and there’s only one way out. Spend 🙂

Watched first half on catch up, fell asleep before second half started.

We seemed to lack urgency apart from a few moments where we sped up the play and runners moved between the lines.

I think it had the makings of a no-show in that the lads had nothing to play for. Top four already secure, although slight advantage in finishing 3rd over 4th, but frankly in the words of Mesut it’s already “job done”

The thing that matters is getting them fully motivated and revved up before the whistle peeps against Villa, and that worries me.

Chas,

It always heartens me to hear how someone who goes to games has a different perspective – and retains the enthusiasm and a positive attitude. Well done sir. 🙂

Watching the game on TV there was a different feel to how the game was going. Rasp’s view chimes with me, perhaps because of the replays that show what happened close up, and how just a slightly different pass here or there would have changed the result.

My personal beef remains the relentless sideways and backwards passing by the CBs and FBs, almost like telling Swansea we will wait until you are ready, before moving forward.

Other TV watchers will possibly disagree with how it changes the perspective, and, for example, Rocky Doodle is always upbeat, despite watching on TV from North America, so I have to admit my comment above is subjective and personal. 🙂

I only wish I could be more like you and the Rock – it would make the experience more enjoyable, and less anxiety inducing. 🙂

45. Morning all, very disappointing result last night.

Does anyone want to write about it or anything else? Let me know ………….

Cheers, RA.

You’re 100% right; we all see what we want to see.

The first half was pretty dire, but from where I was sat that was mainly down to Swansea playing with a massive stretch white bus parked across the pitch. Sigurdsson as the only striker and his average position being in his own half indicates something about the opposition’s tactics.

The endless sideways passing happens because the team probes for an opening. Forward passes against a team which doesn’t want to leave their own half tend to hit the side of the bus. 🙂

Our second half chances are below. For one of Swansea’s to go in and Arsenal attempts to remain unrewarded suggest to me that most of the time the result would have been completely different. But, as I said, we all take our own view away from the game.

Ant and me were discussing the match scenario where Sanchez and Theo had scored their one-on-ones and suddenly the match analysis becomes a really solid home performance in a match we dominated. We also agreed that last night was much better than we’ve played in some of our recent wins e.g. Burnley away.

Anyway, at least the blog should be humming today since we’ve had nothing to discuss on the back of our recent run. 🙂

I hope someone steps up to write a match report.
    Maybe ‘An Armchair Perspective’? 🙂

RA

I say we dedicate the site to smut, rock n roll and transfer speculation extreme

Oh, and heat maps 🙂

What I saw……

What RA saw……

🙂

51. fatgingergooner says:

I watched the game at work, and therefore no commentary, and I thought we did ok. I often find no volume leaves me with only my own opinion, rather than being influenced by crowd noise, commentary and terrible punditry.

I also see these games as dead rubbers though as I think we will finish third. Beating United would be good for confidence, but would have no impact on next season as they will be a totally different side next year.

A couple of GK blunders and bad performances may make Wenger think twice about the transfer window too, which is never a bad thing.

Aslong as we play well against Villa, that’s all that matters.

Beware bad language.

FGG
    I’m not dooming as I’m in a very good mood, but I’d send the 2nd XI up to Old Trafford. They will be far more up for it than us, and really it’s a pointless game.
    I’d have a “chat” with the first xi, give them a week off, and then use the last two home games to sharpen up

You’ll have to do the “transfer speculation extreme”. 🙂

Right, I’m off to annoy someone else.

Chas
    No problem, but I’ll have to do it pronto before Raddy returns all relaxed and floppy going on about how we’ll win the league with the current strike force and all is well and the clouds are fluffy 🙂

57. fatgingergooner says:

Maybe Wenger will use the Swansea goal as an excuse to get Szscesny back in the side before the cup final?

If he doesn’t rest players at United then I suspect he will last 2 games, although if we lose to United he probably won’t risk rotation as I imagine avoiding a CL qualifier is a big thing for Wenger. He hates those games.

I also think Wenger hates draws. We probably have to accept a few more of these smash n grab losses than a lot of the other sides as a result of Wenger always going for the win. It’s very rare you see him settling for a point.

I’m gutted. I promised my two little ginger companions lots of goals and a big win 😦
    They loved it anyway and asked me to go again 🙂

59. I’m a knot ear today but as Mdi89 said we needed smut, rock n roll and transfer speculation I’m in.

So as Chas is doing the smut I can dive in with any excuse for a bit of rock n’ roll/metal.

The less said about last night the better.

As Arnie would say “So saaaad”.

Morning all, I certainly didn’t see what I wanted to see 🙂

I don’t mind us losing if we play wonderful football (we have the players to do that) but last night’s spectacle wasn’t peppered with ‘wow’ moments.

The point I made yesterday was that we regularly struggle against the park the bus teams. Swansea have become the new Stoke. They have a simple formula that they know will thwart us and we play into their hands by fulfilling the role they expect of us.

Guardiola started with 3 at the back against Barca – a high risk strategy, but at least it presented Barca with a problem they had not legislated for … even though it was changed early on as it wasn’t working.

They changed strategy without changing players, we seem to rely on substitutions to change our approach rather than having the ability to get the players to adapt formation when required.

Having said that, if Welbeck and the Ox had been available they would have given us genuine pace, trickery and some much needed directness in the wide positions. Our play was far too congested centrally, we were slow to get the ball out wide and when we did, the overlaps weren’t available and so play reverted back to the defenders giving Swansea ample time to organise their defence.

I’d just like to see us try something different against those tactics.

61. fatgingergooner says:

Here’s the transfer rumours:-

We were after Dybala but he’s off to Juve for £30m 😦 but that means Llorente is up for grabs and ‘apparently’ Wenger is keen 😦 😦 😦

We have won the race for Milner

Sterling is selling his house in Liverpool and looking at London properties. It’s between us and Chelsea obviously!

We are looking to buy Virgil Van Dyke from Celtic, just hours after Wenger said we won’t be needing any CB’s 🙂

Madrid are willing to sell Benzema as they seem to want to do every summer, putting us on red alert. Ok then!

Isco doesn’t want to leave Madrid and has snubbed a move to the Gunners. Shame.

62. fatgingergooner says:

Also loads of stories about how we are signing Draxler, Cavani, Gundogan, Schneiderlin, Higuain and various Benders.

None of which are true.

Can someone explain to me how manu can announce the signing of a new player 2 months before the transfer window opens – was the player out of contract or have I missed something?

chas @8:34 – as much as I hate doing so, I completely agree with you. We sat in the family enclosure, yards from Swanse goal in the first half. It was breathtaking to watch some of Ozil passes, Ramsey’s determination and Bellerin’s skills. I really enjoyed it and we saw some 40 out of 47 minutes close up.
    The second half we didn’t see at all, it was at the other end. The white bus shifted to the other side. They were fooking awful, fouling, disrupting the game, defending

If not for Fabianski having the game of his life, we would have won by several goals.

65. fatgingergooner says:

Exit rumours:-

Rosicky could be in the PL next season, at Watford. Sparta Prague are also interested in a free transfer. He and Flamini may be offered new contracts though according to some reports.

Diaby will only agree a pay as you play deal if he’s allowed to miss his physio training on a Wednesday to go and sign on.

Sanogo is expected to be sold along with Campbell who may be used as a make-weight in a deal for Carvalho.

Newcastle are in for Podolski and are hoping he can fire them back into the PL next season.

66. fatgingergooner says:

Rasp,

Probably arranged in January.

Maybe they announced it to stop PSG trying to steal in whilst it’s not fully complete.

Didn’t we do similar with Monreal?

67. arnie says:

so saaaad, indeed. thanks Chary. 😛

The way I saw it, the game was OK. But our shooting was shockingly poor.

Yes, Fab had an outstanding game. Diving full stretch to push the ball round the post thrice, and then again fisting it over the bar twice. And thrice dived to teh feet of the strikers to bravely hold on to the ball. Nay nothing like it.

More like, we lost steam by the time we reached the penalty box and gave Fab some nive catching practise. We have always had this problem. Except for Giro, we have no one who can run his feet firmly through the ball.

Otherwise, we were OK. 🙂

68. Heh, heh Arnie. 🙂

I’ve just realised that the head-to-head fixtures in the post are the wrong way round in terms of outcome i.e. it’s from a Swansea City perspective, so each win should be a loss and vice versa to view it as an Arsenal supporter.

Also me putting a ‘W ?’ for yesterday’s fixture was horribly prophetic as it was asking whether Swansea would win, not us.

In other words, it was all my fault; I cursed it. Bring back Mr Radford.

70. arnie says:

ommmmmmm

71. arnie says:

law of averages. had to happen at some point. in the event, it came yesterday. 2nd place is no longer solely in our hands now.

let us make the best of it. COYG. 🙂

I cannot agree with those that choose to be negative about our teams performance. When you are confronted with a well disciplined team playing with a 5-4-1 set up it’s nigh on impossible to break them down. The sideways and backwards passing is needed in order to find a hole and as it turned out we had no luck at all and Fabianski was like a vacuum cleaner that sucked up all rebounds.

They had one bit of luck and won the game – end of!

Swansea are at home to Man C next week so maybe they can do us a favour and put 2nd place back in our hands.

Nice one chas

That Monk geezer gets on my nerves. Hes always looking suspiciously at people, wondering “what they got in there pocket?” or “Whys he talking to me? Has he see that photo?”

It was just one of those days. Normally in the 2nd half we would have bagged a couple of goals but this time all our shots went straight at Fabianski. They only thing that surprised was that for a man who needs 20 bars of soap whilst showering, how one of those shots didn’t squirm through his hands?

I bet even Monk couldn’t believe how Fabianski held onto all of those. With his suspicious nature probably thinking Lukas is a ringer whos out to do him or worse, hes seen that photo.

Good to see Jack look fit and sharp. I reckon he will be player of the season next year and be appointed captain, lifting the Prem League trophy.

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring.

75. arnie says:

does that include me, GN5? 😛

arnie, I disagree with anybody that disagrees with me (lol) and even with some that have the same opinion.

77. arnie says:

GN5. 🙂

on a different note, sorry we missed each other on this trip. let us try and meet next time.

Going by the theory that you learn more from a loss than a win, there should be some conclusions we could take from our relatively poor record against the swans – played 10, won 4, drawn 2, lost 4.

arnie, yes lets try to meet on your next trip. It sounded like your trip was a tad troublesome and I was not enjoying the best of times either – so next time it is!

Rasp, For sure we know that a brick wall cannot be penetrated with a football.

81. Hippy says:

That guy TMHT needs a restraining order from entering websites, he’s a lunatic

But he’s our lunatic and we like him!!!!

83. wally says:

If they are going to park the bus then we should probably be thinking about playing two up top and gaining some width. or maybe a 3-5-3.
    I wish he’d stop whinging about teams that park the bus. It sounds effeminate. Shut up and beat them,

84. arnie says:

wally. I agree. 😦

I don’t care whether or not Chas has himself inside out or not.

Vote Chas – the bloggers’ blogger.

Micky should be debagged and given a good smack as I do not understand his 8:40 comment;

” RA

Here’s my take: Arsenal don’t “do” unnecessary games, and with that in mind, it may well be worth tuning-out until Cup Final day.”

Does he think I am a tuning fork — or a forking tuner?

It’s just as well I love him – or I would set Eddie on to him. 🙂

Rasp/Peaches,

I’ve emailed a new post.

Hi there RA,

Blogging is so quiet these days – maybe it’s becoming unfashionable?

88. The Cockie Monster says:

Although I agree with chas @ 10:25pm…………I think we should all blame chas for our defeat because of his post headline !….it was disgusting and could only put the jinx/mockers on us and that`s what it did !…….it came back to Gary Monk chas in the face !. 😆

89. Ant says:

“I agree with Chas”

So I need a restraining order and am a lunatic hey sniffer?

The difference between me and you is that on a Saturday night I hit the disco and for that brief moment am king. Superficial relationships, women that want it because of my white shoes and tight trousers. Ok, the next day as i devour a ready made meal after spending all day in shrunken pyjamas, i sob over my loneliness and the demise of the career of Paul Daniels.

You on the other hand believe Disco frequenters should face a firing squad orchestrated by Barry Gibb, ready made meals are a delicacy, and that becuase Daniels touched up a rabbit in the seventies, the lovely Debbie Mcgee should be shagging you instead.

Hows that for lunacy?

91. fatgingergooner says:

Wally,

Not sure about 3-5-3, a bit risky. I would prefer someone in net just in case! 🙂

I think 2 up top could work but for starters we just need to play with proper width. Sanchez and Ramsey were picking the ball up in the centre circle at times. Leave Özil and Cazorla to control the play and stay out wide and make runs inside the full back. Easy 🙂

I’ve yet to find anyone that can tell me how you get the bus driver to find his gears.

We have only seen one PLgame where both sides refused to come out of their half it was an embarrassment as it was the two best teams in the country settling for 0-0 before kick off. ManUre (SAF) vs Chavs (Maureen). Chavs were away so we’re in normal counter attacking mode otherwise known as the firm double decker with a couple of nippy outriders. United did the same. Neither team blinked.

As I see it we have a choice attack in numbers, hope to score but leave ourselves open or settle for 0-0. Now whilst the result last night was a loss, over the course of the season playing the way we do has resulted in a fair number of wins, in fact more than we lost, so if we decided to approach these games differently I think we would have a lot more 0-0 draws at THOF.

In fact look at the results in the sidebar, we’ve lost two at home Swans andManUre I similar circumstances.

The games we lost away, Southampton didn’t play on counter, neither did Stoke at Britannia, and neither did Swans or Spuds.

So I sit really true that we make the same mistake over and over? Or do we in fact use the right tactics more often than not but occasionally come unstuck when we fail to find the net?

Exile

Every fibre in my body tells me you are bang on the money. If we had twelve shots on target in the second half, the tactics bollocks must have been spot on.

Here’s the good news. You being spot on, merely underlines how clever I am. Cheque book OUT and expensive goal shooters IN 🙂

Transplant 🙂 x 2

Haven’t noticed any more Eddie dog training educational videos

nothing to ridicule then? so sorry DidIt

Did the train wait for you? where were you going?

I enjoyed the game last night. Any goalie having Messi, Suarez and Naymar coming at him needs Pampers

Eddie
    😦
    London

I usually like a moan about tactics when things go wrong, all with the use of hind sight of course, but I am definitely in the camp that we got the tactics right against Swansea, it was just a case that we were unlucky. Or, to put it another way, if we were to play them again this Saturday I would expect and want Wenger to start with exactly the same eleven.

Barca are great to watch until Real get in the way, and then the diving starts, so hoping for a Juve win tonight

little Jack on the edge of his seat

Yes LB, I thought we were very good and for the life of me I cannot understand the ‘No plan B’ camp

Micky – see, see,, the wife was right. The train did fooking wait for you darling 🙂

LB

A settled 1st XI, and one he can deploy in all situations. Home to the bus, or way to Utd.

One side of me thinks this is good, but somewhere lurks a tactician that says it should be more complicated.

Ha ha, we got the tactics right? Can I remind you all that we lost, it had nothing to do with luck it was poor finishing and the failure to break down the defence

bad hair day Rasp ? Or are you always like this 🙂

yep, we lost. But we played well and I for one was happy with the teams’ performance

If we play with that slow plodding methodical build up against Aston Villa in the F a cup, we will lose. It’s fine to be patient in the build up but once in awhile you have to go up a gear and take a risk and get the ball forward quickly and use the width of the pitch

Morning Eddie, we have played really well recently but I can’t see how you consider we play particularly well in that game. For sure we could’ve scored one of the chances, but lets not forget Swansea knew exactly what they had to do and they executed their plan perfectly

Rasp
    Go deliver a bunny, it helps relieve tension 🙂
    And the answer is better shhoters

Swansea’s plan – hope we don’t score one of our numerous chances and then nick one at the death. 🙂

I am 100% with you on that Mickey, if we had an Aguero up front it would have been different, but we would still need to get the ball to them more quickly on occasion

That’s one way of putting it Chaz the other is just simply to pack the midfield and defence because we have no weights and then hope to hit us on the break

Am I the only one who recognises a pattern in this form of defeat?

Rasp
    We’ve had many victories from exactly the same pattern.

Of course we’ve had many great victories but not against teams that set up like this, it is a problem that maybe only mickeys world class striker will solve

Rasp – if we had Aguerro!! Why stop there? If we had Messi, Suarez and Naymer would be even better

Try to blog without insults or sarcasm if you can Eddie

Rasp
    I wasn’t talking about great victories.
    I was talking about victories that have come after banging our heads against the side of the bus all game, but still managing to take a chance or two.

insults? what insults?

We’ve lost twice at home this season to bus parking – the mancs and now Swansea.
    Both were exceedingly spawny wins for the opposition.
    Exactly which pattern are you talking about?

Thanks chas, definitely we could/should have taken one of our chances, but it was one of those games when we lacked energy in the first half and seemingly had no extra gears. I don’t care if we concede possession if we are trying to get the ball forward on occasion. Part of the reason teams like Swansea compress the defence is because we build up slowly from the back and they have no choice

I honestly think it’s virtually impossible to build up quickly from the back when the opposition are all in their own half already.

I think you have to be prepared to let them have the ball. The invincibles were brilliant at this, they certainly didn’t dominate possession but were deadly on the counter. I know it’s been said before, but they were statistically more likely to score from the opposition’s corner than ours

I think Welbeck would have made us more incisive up front

Rasp – I sincerely apologise if I insulted you. It was not my intention. As you know I get more abuse than most, had to learn to accept it. Once again – sincere apologies. Laters

Bus parking hadn’t been invented in 2003/4. 🙂

Right, off for a swim.

Here’s a possible solution

Bring back Podolski and aim at the defenders rather than the goal and really test the depth of their squad

No Eddie, Raddy gets the most abuse, and rightly so 🙂

🙂 Micky

Someone (I think maybe Rocky) wrote a post some time ago which talked about ‘take ons’. It transpired that The Ox performed more take ons than any other Arsenal player.

There may be an answer to the conundrum here. Our style of play is primarily to pass our way through the opposition with intricate short passing moves. The difference with the likes of Barca is that they are brilliant at the short passing game but they also have more players that are prepared to take on the defenders. When the defence is packed, beating players in the danger area will make a difference. Passing the ball around the periphery of the box is less effective.

I don’t care if we lose possession in the final third trying to make space for a shot, or attempting to get behind a fullback.

131. arnie says:

motning all. I liked our game as well, but was almost as frustrated as Rasp at our shooting. And dare I say, subbing Giroud with Theo or Welbz would never be the solution. getting behind the defence was not the problem here, it was shooting through the ball. not scuffed attempts or misfired crosses. which in teh event was competently gobbled up by Fab.

I ask again, Fab had a terrific game and we had more than 12 vshots on target, so how many did Fab spectacularly tip over the bar. Or push past the sidepost? I dont remember any.

Is Micky’s expensive striker the solution? Perhaps, but a striker better than Giro please. More than 40 goals over two consecutive seasons.

Overall, we have been very good this season, so not very saaad at the moment. But we need a strong end to this one. COYG. 🙂

132. arnie says:

Peace……

Hi arnie, I’m not condemning the team on the basis of one disappointing performance. We’ve had a very good season. But what is the point of being in any competitive scenario if you don’t seek to improve?

The 2 key areas I’d look at are the results against the top teams ( we have shown improvement here) and the results against the ‘physical, park the bus’ teams where I feel we could do more. That’s all I’m saying.

I think Fab2 had an OK game, but our shooting was the main problem. Having said that, I checked the stats on my phone after 25 minutes and we had something like 80% possession but Swansea had 5 shots, most on target and we had 2, none on target – so I think we can see that we need to make our possession more effective.

Does anyone want to write a topical post for today or I have a post from GunnerN5 about his adventures in Northern Ontario in the cupboard.

135. arnie says:

yes, Rasp. my main problem was the shooting. even the usually reliable Giro, Santi and Alexis were poor shooters on the day.

Not blaming Giro for attempting the over-elaborate 10 feet curl that did not bend a single mm. or Santi for hitting a freekick from top of the box straight into BFG. 😛

There will be one odd defeat like this one in a season. One can live with that. However, where we need improvement is against teh big teams. Yes, we were better than last year, but not quite there yet IMO. Maybe I will be proved wrong on Sunday. COYG. 🙂

It was definitely a bad day at the office against Swansea arnie, I agree. I think in the last 20-30 minutes we should have done enough to win the game and most times we would have. But before that we were complacent in our play and looked like we were taking the victory for granted. Maybe we just need more of a killer instinct.

I’m sure we will get ourselves up for the united game and paradoxically we will have more space against the better team.

137. It’s a journey in Northern Ontario then ………….

………………. New Post everyone ………………..

138. prvý says:

you are truly a excellent webmaster. The web site loading pace is amazing.
    It sort of feels that you are doing any distinctive trick.
    Also, The contents are masterwork. you have performed a magnificent activity on this
    matter!