Did Arsenal play for the draw?

I think we all know games against Chelsea are rarely thrillers, and yesterday was no exception.

My hopes were low. For an entertaining game. I was not disappointed.

Thing is, while the final whistle revealed how happy Chelsea were with one more point on their way to the title, The Arsenal Lads hardly looked crest fallen did they, and nor was I. It was one more point on our merry run, and we look good for an improvement on last seasons’ 4th Spot.

Both sides were clearly going to do their utmost to seize goalscoring opportunities as and when they appeared, but not losing was the priority, for both sides.

No way does Go-For-The-Win-Arsene start with Aaron on the right. More likely Santi and Aaron switch roles, or at least a Danny or Theo start. Rather like a Mourinho side, Arsenal were less gung-ho in their approach. Aaron on the right proves this. Did Arsenal approach the game in a more Chelsea’ish fashion, in other words adopting a less cavalier approach in place of something more “total defence” first? Chelsea know they have the Hazard/Costa (not yesterday I know) type of quality that in a second can punish any team, and are happy to play that type of game.

I have a nasty feeling Arsenal might be moving in this direction, and while I understand it during certain phases of certain games, I do hope it does not become a habit.

Aaron on the right really worries me.

Written by mickydidit89

126 Responses to Did Arsenal play for the draw?

Just to be clear, nothing against Aaron. Superb player, but so much better “charging through the midfield” 🙂

2. stevepalmer1 says:

Nice one Micky, my sentiments entirely. I knew as soon as i saw the team sheet that it would be touch and go, and i have to agree with you that Arsene has taken that approach.

We know what happens with the gun ho approach only too well that’s why we are 10 points adrift. Debuchey not even on the bench made me feel that we were left with little change. Taking off Le Coq for the second game running and leaving Ramsey on has me scratching my head , but a draw is better than a loss.

Thanks micky, I agree that AW has shown more pragmatism of late and I for one see that as a good thing.

Arsene has 2 years (2 more seasons) left as manager to end on a high and to do that he will need to win the ECL or the EPL (or both) … and to do that he will need to employ a more pragmatic approach to some games 🙂

No No and thrice No, Rasp
    The solution is to improve the right winger and striker and attack harder 🙂

5. porter says:

Pragmatism ? The main difference being that Chelsea are happy to win at home and draw away. That gets them 4 points off of a rival team. This is what they have achieved 3 times out of the last 4 seasons the other when they won both times. When we take points at the Bridge I will take positives . At the moment there are very few to be found in what was a disappointingly predictable tactical performance yesterday.

😆 micky. I understand Maureen employed a 4:6 formation (with no out and out striker) with the intention of flooding the midfield. If we had used genuine wide players that don’t add much to the defending we would probably have played right into his hands ….. but don’t forget, I didn’t actually see the game 🙂

Surely one of the problems yesterday was that we had 7 shots but only one on target, whereas chelski had 5 with 3 on target. I know stats mean nothing without context, but surely the reason we didn’t win was because we just lacked that extra bit of quality up front on the day?

I see the problem as Chelsea having at least 7 players behind the ball and every one of those players being an excellent player.

John Terry was fantastic yesterday – probably the best CB performance seen at the Emirates – though it really pains me to say it!

Did we play for a draw? No. We played a less attacking game than against a lesser side but bringing on Welbz and laterTheo for Coq showed AW’s intention was to win.

I agree with that Raddy (only I didn’t see the game 🙂 )

Congrats to ex-AFC GK Graham Stack who captained Barnet to become Conference Champions and thus promotion to League 2.

Fine discussion-starter, Micky, ta.

I think it was more important not to get suckered in like we did at Stamford Bridge, rather than bust a gut going for the win.

The full backs did their jobs without exposing the centre-backs too much.

Ramsey helped to bolster our midfield, which was essential to counter the chavs 6 man midfield (the only surprise from Mourinho was Obi Wan Kenobi not playing)

Compare and contrast the stats from the home and away games. The main difference being we were taken for 3 points in the first game away and everybody said how expertly the chavs had played with their counter-attacking football and rotational niggly fouls.

October 2014 Stamford Bridge

April 2015 Emirates

Micky

Bloody hell, you didn’t mention Giroud who I think was on the team sheet 🙂

Oh we did try to win but when the whole focus by the pundits after the game was how well Terry and Co played, that proves it.

We still haven’t got that clinical out and out predator striker that can win a match like this. TH14 agrees with me.

Both our full backs played really well as did Mertesacker.

The next two matches are on consecutive Monday nights, in other words after the others have played, so not sure if that adds pressure or not.

We deserve at least to be third and remember we now have an extended Far East pre season planned and don’t want a CL qualifier again.

IMO we got lucky with the Oscar incident.Ospina could have been shown red and a penalty awarded.All the other penalty shouts were dubious.

We aren’t far behind Chelsea, just need a bit more muscle and a few less hollywood passes from Ramsey.

one point out on 6 from both Chelsea and Spurs just isn’t quite good enough.

14:00 hrs and only 13 votes. Oh dear.

Well, Gentlemen, bearing in mind most members of this sites inner sanctum are present, I think we can be honest with each other.

Yes, we all love The Arsenal, but prefer talking about cats and dogs 🙂

Oh and Crystals
    Woof Woof 🙂

16. stevepalmer1 says:

It would have been nice taking 3 points off of Chelsea just to let them know we mean to push right to the end, but with just a draw how can you expect others to now go and beat them. Sticks in my throat that but thats life as old Frank said.

Steve

Let’s not worry about the others, simply end in 2nd or 3rd, win The Cup and then spend tons of money in the summer on anther Sanchez.

So, no Rambo on the wing, Mickey?

OK – are you suggesting we drop him? Apparently not as you see him charging through the middle.

Are you suggesting swapping Rambo with Cazzor? Santi was a disaster when he was tried on the wing previously.

Are you suggesting bringing back Theo? God help us — who gets the chop?

Maybe we should have a lynx on the wing. 🙂

Look here you enormous American, it’s almost crystal clear what I meant, the welsh bloke poses little or no attacking threat on the wing, but does through the middle, so stop being so bloody awkward 🙂

20. stevepalmer1 says:

Sounds like you have thought that out well Micky, sounds good to me, but i still worry over the others and until we play our last game i will still worry. but i like the idea of massive spending 🙂

Steve
    Cash is the solution to everything other than important memories 🙂

I lynx your style, Micky.

You take Mr Wenger’s bestest team selection, then without any forethought or planning, you wield your cheap, chippy chopper – just like a cat-person diving into an empty box of cereals without any thought as to how to get back out!!

In addition, you know the happy, hoppy hippy will have to sit and meditate for hours puzzling it out. 🙂

Well said, RA.

It’s ok saying ‘no Rambo on the right’, but there’s cunningly no mention of who gets dropped if you play him through the middle or who plays on the right in his stead.

‘Half-arsed’ is my tactically bollixed assessment of this kind of Fantasy Manager football management. 🙂

Cazorla dribbling – almost as if the ball is attached to his boot in some way…..

Actually Chas, I strongly object to that cat vid, as it doesn’t paint the furry fellows in a particularly bright light 🙂

Dogists are going to have an effing field day

Happy ending, sir?

Come on, once more, into the cereal box

, dear friends

30. arnie says:

Nice teaser, Micky. 🙂

We were not too gung-ho, which is good. We did not concede a cheap goal, which is good. We had close to no shots on target, which is bad.

However, I do not think the solution is in playing Theo or Welbz. They are not upgrades on Ollie, at least not on current form.

Arsene put Theo and Welbz on with the hope that we will be more attacking, or was it just window-dressing? who knows! 😛

We are at the moment doing the best we can, really. But that is not earth shattering. Not yet, anyway. But good enough to win the FAC and come second in the league. which is much better that most of the others. 🙂

31. arnie says:

Chas, nice vids, particularly the balloon one. 😛

32. arnie says:

🙂

How’s it hanging, arnie?

What’s the weather like in Outer Mongolia, or wherever it is you are this week?

34. arnie says:

dreadful, Chas 😦

but, I am back in mid-May, and looking to join the fun on AA more regularly. 🙂

35. arnie says:

hanging, Chas? shrunk to the size of peanuts! 😛

I hope things improve soon, me duck.

37. arnie says:

should I do a short post/poll on the question of idolizing the DEAD and the DUNT? perhaps? 😛

No Arnie, we’re not interested.
    Cats ‘n Dogs is where we’re at

39. wally says:

Wenger is clearly becoming more pragmatic. Ramsey on the right is proof. He is better thru the middle but he wants the wide man to come back and help. And i’d say he values Ramsey more than Welbz at the moment.
    Mou was always playing for the draw. I’m not unhappy with that. We’ve progressed. We got off to a slow start but have improved immensely. Next year we won’t get off to a slow start. There will be more pressure on the chavs and they won’t be able to play that way again.
    And we need to be able to play that way too.

Since Coquelin arrived i feel so much better about the team and the prospects. I love that kid and his fire, his grit, his sandpaper. That was the missing ingredient.

Idolising is a bit heavy! Grateful for past endeavours is more to the point

42. arnie says:

OK, idolising the Cats `n Dogs it is then! 😛

Wally. I think he is showing Theo what he expects of his wide man and a clear indication that The Ox is his future right side attacking MF with Theo on the bench.

44. arnie says:

we need better wide men. Perhaps playing Rambo wide is acknowledgement of this situation. Theo is not the same 😦 and dont know where the Ox is. On the left, can we do better than Alexis? It is about managing the personnel we have. 🙂

45. arnie says:

Raddy. snap! great men …. 😛

Arnie
    Do that, and you’ll be staring down the barrel at record votes 🙂

arnie. Speak for yourself …. as far as I concerned all men are created equal (or in the words of Spike Milligan All men are cremated equal 😀 )

48. arnie says:

Micky. 😆

Raddy. all men are created equal, but some play football better than others? 😛

49. arnie says:

now you see a Rasp-ing video, and now you dont! 😛 or am I on LSD? 😛

Hi arnie, it appears I have blog bad breath – every time I make a comment everyone scuttles away … so I thought I’d take it off 🙂

Extra strong mint Rasp?

52. arnie says:

🙂 🙂

53. arnie says:

where is NorthBank? did he get to meet the AA gang?

A highly dangerous virus called “Weekly Overload Recreational Killer” (WORK) is currently going around. If you come into contact with this WORK virus, you should immediately go to the nearest “Biological Anxiety Relief” (BAR) centre to take antidotes known as “Work Isolating Neutralizer Extract” (WINE), Radioactive UnWork Medicine” (RUM), “bothersome Employer Elimination Rebooter” (BEER) or “Vaccine Official Depression Killing Antigen” (VODKA). Please re-post to raise awareness!!!

thanks for the post micky. I have no problem with Arsene treading carefully during dangerous encounters. Better safe than sorry.

Chelsea played for a draw, but we didn’t know that. They could have very well go in with all the guns blazing….perhaps not. Anyhow, I agree with winning games against lesser opponents and drawing against equals….no, feck that Chavs are not our equals, not in a million years!

No, I have just answered myself – we should not play for a draw, ever.

Raddy @ 4:38

Umm — “I am more interested in the different mood effects created by hot, warm or cold gong baths”

OK as no one else has asked — I’ll buy it — why do you give your ‘gongs’ different bath temperatures.

Cosseted are they? 🙂

good enough for Eddie too

I should have tried that with Mrs Raddy. On second thoughts, she wouldn’t have become Mrs Raddy would she?

The woman can recognise AW and TH but apart from them ….. nothing

61. wally says:

Hadn’t thought of that BR but you could well be right. We almost have too many choices. But then if Cazorla goes…..

Evening all, I’m probably one of the few who don’t thing Chavs came for the draw, they came with a tactic that they thought could get them a win, but they more than likely wouldn’t lose, and let’s be honest without at least 4 or 5 of those 17 fouls it could have been a Chav win.

So what do you do? Do you let them soak it all up and counter when you’ve over committed or do you play the percentages too? Liverpool would have won the league last season had they taken the point at home to Chavs instead they pushed forward for a winner and eventually Chavs got what they came for.

If Wenger was truly being pragmatic why talk of the players applying the handbrake after the game? He wanted us to push for a winner and play with courage.

I don’t understand any criticism of Ollie yesterday as I can’t see how he was supposed to thrive when we couldn’t get him the ball. The way to score was men coming from deep but men coming from deep opens up the possibility of a counter attack. Back to square one.

So the only way to take on Chavs is to play them at their own game. Maybe then they’ll have to reconsider their approach.

Exile

“the only way to take on Chavs is to play them at their own game”

What utter nonsense. Quite how an ex professional footballer thinks he can out-tactic an over aged, over weight, shit surfer is frankly staggering.

Play the Chelsea way? An Arsene Arsenal? Christ on a bike, matey, don’t you think a front line of Messi, Suarez and Neymar wouldn’t tear them to shreddies? Of course they would. So let’s get another expensive forward shall we 🙂

Motning All.

Best dog vid I’ve seen in a while

Micky,

You are sounding like a stroppy, hoppy hippy – leave my friend Exile alone! 🙂

And good morning to you!

I saw fantastic waves for surfing on TV – that’s to say, I saw it on TV, I did not have surfers using the waves on my TV – it was in Donegal, Northern Ireland.

I must go there! 🙂

Stroppy? Tongue sooo in cheek 🙂

I’ll tell what will make me livid though, and that’s a Milliband/Sturgeon pairing attempting to run the country. We’ll be so fucked its untrue 😦

6.10 Woof Woof

Actually, poor Ed.
    Just imagine, every single morning he’ll have to go to work, remove his trousers and bend over while Sturgeon, wearing an enormous strap on ………..

Meeeeeeow

or rather purrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Big business runs the country.
    Are Cameron, Clegg and Osborne doing such a good job?
    Thinking of voting Labour just to annoy you.

Any party being blackmailed and buggered by Sturgeon is completely unworkable

Who do you vote for then if you can’t vote Tory (which, of course, you can’t)?

Make no mistake, I’m no fan of Cameron or Osborne but Miliband has to the wettest Party Leader of all time by a considerable margin and will end with a very sore arse. Crikey, not just Sturgeon but Merkel….ouch

I thought Sturgeon and Merkel were the same woman?

Chas
    This time, it will make no difference who you or I vote for. It will be a hung parliament. Probably minority with the SNP pulling the strings.

That will not work, and will last less than a year which is no good for anyone

Back to cats and big breaths; I’m getting annoyed.

6.10 That is definitely the best dog video. Thank you.

GIE. My problem with the Chavs is the waste of wonderful players. It would have made a fine game if JM had the cojones to bring his team to attack and pitch the two best teams in the PL against each other.

Swansea can do it so why not Chelsea?

Mrs Merkel….behave 🙂

Bloody hell, the cat vids just get better and better
    That moving round thing. Move. Swipe dog. Lick paw. Twirl. Swipe 🙂

Yes, I’d vote for her too 🙂

The cat on the remote cleaner is an evil bastard. But then so is the lazy miscreant who buys an automatic cleaner

And who puts a white jumper on a dog?

Yep, forgot to say how much I enjoyed the dog video.
    Even the still from it is wonderful.

7.50 The Invitation Pose

Open for business

I get far less work done when there’s a great cat vid
    However, I’m a happier person

keep your hair on Didit, Cameron will win it hands down. Nobody will vote for Ed

The thing that disturbs me is the fact that almost everybody casts the votes for the person rather than the party they represent. I am almost intimate with all the candidates without having a clue what are their policies. Perhaps Ed and the Scottish dyke have good manifesto?

Exile,

Ollie had 5 equally large defenders marking him in the area.

Impossible when the other miniature players like Özil, Cazzor and Sanchez did not support him well enough.

Just an opinion — I have not had a chance to get Norfolk’s approval yet. 🙂

Chas,

That is probably the most erotic pic I have seen for a while – and no bits showing is needed.

[Is that even English – must have blown a fuse.] 🙂

the cat swinging on the ropes outside a window is brill 🙂

Who is that pundit who famously promised to jump off the Bourmouth pier if Bourmouth are promoted to the EPL?

So Chas, if I’m reading that chart correctly, Francis Coquelin’s form has been seriously bad news for QPR 🙂

I cannot see anything wrong with multi-millionaire Miliband standing up for the working man. 🙂

Or multi-millionaire Harriet Harman, senior Labour politician going to the same school as multi-millionaire Osborne, senior Tory politician. 🙂

Umm — there isn’t anything incestuous going on – is there.

45 years ago today

I’m sorry — I should not take the micky out of duplicitous British politicians – it’s the same all over the world – and it is very important for you guys. 😳

That dog beating cat at 7:41 has even got the ‘ooh, he hurt my paw’ gesture down to a tee — must be a Maureen cat! 🙂

Going up or going down – equally as easy.

‘My’ new baby Isabella has a cat who loves sleeping in her cot. I like animals but I don’t trust cats, makes me shiver when it gets near the baby’s gorgeous little face, brrrrrr…. next time I am babysitting I may have to take that cat for a walk, a long walk

ooooohhhh that Bourmouth manager Eddie Howe is rather handsome! it will be good to see more of him next season 🙂

Shame about another Ruski owner 😦

it was Porky Parry who promised to jump the Bourmouth pier dressed as a duck

Mike Parry
    ‏@mikeparry8 But AFCB have done brilliantly…so IF you get promoted to the Prem I will fly off the end of Bournemouth Pier in a winged duck suit…

The ANT AND THE GRASSHOPPER

Two Different Versions … Two Different Morals

OLD:

The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.
    The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away.

Come winter, the ant is warm and well fed.
    The grasshopper has no food or shelter, so he dies out in the cold.

MORAL OF THE OLD STORY:

Be responsible for yourself

MODERN:

The ant works hard in the withering heat and the rain all
    summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.

The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and
    dances and plays the summer away.

Come winter, the shivering grasshopper calls a press conference and demands to
    know why the ant
    should be allowed to be warm and well fed while he is cold and starving..

The BBC show up to provide pictures of the shivering
    grasshopper next to a video of the ant in his comfortable
    home with a table filled with food.
    Britain is stunned by the sharp contrast.

How can this be, that in a country of such wealth, this
    poor grasshopper is allowed to suffer so?

Kermit the Frog appears on News Night with the
    grasshopper and everybody cries when they sing, ‘It’s Not Easy
    Being Green …’

Occupy the Anthill stages a demonstration in front of the
    ant’s house where the news stations film a group from the
    Labour Party singing, We shall overcome.

Then Archbishop Welby has the group kneel down to pray for
    the grasshopper while he damns the ants.
    Ed Milliband condemns the ant and blames David Cameron,
    George Osborne and Margaret Thatcher, John Major et al and
    the Pope for the grasshopper’s plight.

Polly Toynbee and Vanessa Redgrave exclaim in an interview
    on BBC News that the ant has gotten rich off the back of
    the grasshopper, and both call for an immediate tax hike on
    the ant to make him pay his fair share.

Finally the EU intervenes and drafts the Economic Equity &
    Anti-Grasshopper Act retroactive to the beginning of the summer.
    The ant is fined for failing to hire a proportionate number
    of green bugs and, having nothing left to pay his
    retroactive taxes, his home is confiscated by the EU Green
    Czar and given to the grasshopper .The story ends as we see
    the grasshopper and his free-loading friends finishing up the
    last bits of the ant’s food while the government house he is in,
    which, as you recall, just happens to be the ant’s old house,
    crumbles around them because the grasshopper doesn’t maintain
    it. The ant has disappeared in the snow, never to be seen again.
    The grasshopper is found dead in a drug related incident, and the house, now abandoned, is taken over by a gang of spiders who terrorize the ramshackle, once prosperous and peaceful, neighbourhood. The entire Nation collapses bringing the rest of the free world
    with it.

Never liked grasshoppers. Shifty eyes.

Raddy??? You were looking into grasshoppers eyes??? Under what circumstances dear?

I really don’t want to hit the 50 blogs mark but I have to ask – micky, have you heard from your friend in Nepal yet?

Morning all, beautiful day here so far …. would anyone care to write a post about cats for today …… or if your stuck for ideas you could always resort to boring football 😀

Also ….. I’m getting worried about TMHT, does anyone have any news on him? We may have to send out a search party to some of the less desirable areas of North London 😕

108. ‘morning all,

I missed yesterday. At least I missed AA yesterday.

A quick word on the right wing situation, Ramsey is wasted out wide so should be dropped in favour of a winger, either Walcott or Welbeck will do.

Cazorla can’t be dropped at the moment, so Ramsey has to stay on the bench.

Next season I think we’ll see much more of Gabriel and his extra mobility will help reduce the need for a bit of cover in front of the right back.

So that should see the end of Ramsey “doing a job” on the right. He and Cazorla (if he’s still at Arsenal) can fight it out for the central position, but for Ramsey to succeed he’s got to drasticaly cut down the number of times he gives away possession with careless passes or by running himself up cul-de-sacs.

109. It’s good to see that Silent Stan has again shown his commitment to long term ownership of Arsenal.

Yesterday he raided the ISDX (the exchange where Arsenal shares are traded) to purchase more stock.

Stan bought more shares a £15,500 each so increasing his holding to 67.02%.

The number of shares bought? Just two, he now owns 41,698.

Arsenal’s share price remained unchanged, last night, at £15,875.

I was offered 4 shares at €3k a piece about 15 years ago. Said No because I thought they would not give a decent return.

I was and still am rubbish with money. Thankfully the best things in life are free 😀

…. New post …..