Would Pires get into the 2015 team? Vote

Great player Bobby. Two wonderful feet, pacy, intelligent looked good in the shirt and part of one of the best front lines ever seen in the PL. But would he get into the current Arsenal side?

images-1

This is not a stupid question because our current team works in an entirely different way to the Pires era AFC. There is a work ethic that was lacking back then and luxury players may not satisfy the demands made by Mr Wenger.

My assumption is based upon a 2015 AFC front line of OG, Alexis, and Ozil. Mesut playing the DB10 role. The OG/TH14 comparison is both unfair and more to the point irrelevant because there is only one TH and he played a very different game to OG.

Who would you pick – Bobby or Alexis.? Alexis scoreds more goals, creates as many chances and is more dynamic. He is also better defensively as the current AFC become more adept at “defending from the front”. An area of Pires game which despite hard work was poor.

No doubt he would be ahead of Theo, Welbz and Ox but the others?

In my opinion the great BP would be on the bench and be our super-sub. Hard to imagine that I could write such a bizarre statement as I love RP7 and always will.

Football is all about opinion. What is yours and why?

written by Big Raddy

42 Responses to Would Pires get into the 2015 team? Vote

1. Jules says:

Anyone saying no needs their head looked at…one of our greatest ever players!!!

I agree that Bobby is a great player and an AFC legend but can you explain how you think he fits into the current team and, even more relevant, who he replaces?

Raddy – Bobby was an incredible player and I can still recall many of his great plays but I simply cannot see him fitting into the current Arsenal side.

Alexis is simply irreplaceable, however if Bobby had the Alexis engine then it might become debatable.

4. David Stewart says:

I would simply move Sanchez inside to accommodate Pires on the left. Ozil would make way.

Great teaser Raddy. Bobby was one of our greats from our greatest ever period. For a few years we had a magnificent team, in varying combinations, that Bobby was integral to. Out of those players from that period of a few years it is perhaps only Bobby that would find it hard to displace our current attacking left sided player but that is more to do with Sanchez’s world class ability than anything else.

I hope you don’t mind but I am going to turn the question on its head. How many of our current team would get into a team from those great years from the late 90’s to 2005?

Any of our current keepers for Seaman or Lehman?
    Any of our current CD’s for Campbell, Adams, Keown, Bould?
    Any of our current LFB’s for Ashley?
    Any of our current RFB’s for Dixon or Lauren?
    Any of our current CM’s for Vieira, Gilberto, Parlour, Petit?
    Any of our current RM’s for Freddie?
    Any of our current number 10 options for Dennis?
    Any of our current strikers for Thierry?
    And finally any of our current LW’s for Bobby (or Overmars)?

From that list it is clear to me that despite the quality of Bobby and Overmars it is only maybe Sanchez that would keep one of our great players from this era on the bench, purely as I say due to Sanchez’s quality. The only other area arguably is RFB.

If the question was how many of our current team would get into a team from the late 90’s to 2005 it makes you realise just how good we were back then.

Interesting question, BR.

As you rightly point out, we play a different formation these days.
    Even 4-4-2 with Bobby wide left often had to be balanced with Razor on the right to stop us being swamped in midfield.
    Of course Bobby is an Arsenal legend but only at his peak in the 2001/02 season before his injury would he get an automatic place in our current side.
    When making these sort of comparisons, it’s almost impossible to not compare the player from the past’s best ever form with a current player’s day to day form with all of its ups and downs. For instance, Bobby from 2005/06 wouldn’t get in the current team at all just as he struggled to get a regular place in the side back then.

7. stevepalmer1 says:

What kind of question is that,far too old. In his prime maybe, but he would be expected to do a lot more work than he did, I know that’s what you meant Raddy just pulling your plonker 🙂 got the rods out bivied up bed and bag ready. All quiet at the moment but they don’t wake up till dark,a bit like some on here. Nice one Raddy. Keep playing as we are and not even Messi could get in. Tight lines all.

Steve, Sounds like you are in for a lovely night. I have never tried night fishing but would like to have a go

9. stevepalmer1 says:

Suns shining like a good un little shower earlier but not a cloud in the sky now. Hope I’m up all night with fish, but should imagine a peaceful night without the tele. Try it mate great when the fish are biting 🙂

Oh well, this post didn’t seem to inspire any conversation – even the regulars couldn’t be bothered 🙂

75 years ago today the Germans invaded Denmark, would you like to talk about that?

oi Raddy, stop moaning! Some regulars are rushed off their little feet, nothing personal darling

Super Rob was as you rightly said skilful and intelligent. He would adapt his play to strengthen the team, I have no doubt he would be a great addition to any squad. He was great.

Not sure about the hairstyle though, could he really get that great parting most players are sporting now?

Evening all, rushed off my pretty large ass. 😀

Interesting reversal of the question by GB we were without doubt spoilt in those years and that spoiling is partly to blame for our perceptions of (as Chas says) the day to day ups and downs of the current generation.

I don’t think Pires was that lightweight though, there was a goal at SHL where we pressed and Thierry and Bobby were both on the scene eager to get the ball back and it ended up in Spuds net.

Would Bobby get in the current side? Probably, who in our current crop could go into those teams? Several Koscielny, Sanchez, Ozil, I think even Ramsey may have a sniff around the fringes.

14. Sorry BR, long walk this morning, pub lunch, afternoon on the sofa, light snack and a bit of telly.

I voted no.

Looking forward to the pre-match. I just know it’ll be a goody.

‘night all.

15. neamman says:

grfeat article. Two completely different teams, cant see Pires replacing Alexis but I could see Alexis replacing Freddie.

Apparently John Lennon was a wife beater. Still, that’s minor compared to giving the world Yellow Submarine.
    Knob.

Well done all post writers for trying to keep things ticking over.

Jack or Diaby to play would be nice. Keep things fresh.

No Theo? 🙂

How was the surf?

Are you going today Chas

Don’t know where Burnely is, as I’ve never heard of it

Yep, we’re going.
    According to Beijing Red, it’s a plague-ridden fishing village near Scotland.

Crikey, I bet you’d need a visit to the dick doctor after being with one of those two 😦

Surf last week was epic. Oscar ended up in hospital. Bust a wheel bearing. Few mishaps, but all well now.

Had a whole week off the laptop and all comms. Fan-bloody-tastic. A no-screen week

ha ha
    Now he is worth following. Was there an Arse Gent yesterday?

Is that Martin Keown’s grandad

CRYSTALS 🙂 🙂

I could only have a no-screen week if I had the sea to stare at.
    I’ll have to do it soon.

Chas
    I assume you read The Gent.
    “Victim Suite” and “It is never ever our fault”. Stand out phrases 🙂

Brenda gives crayons a bad name.

Eeeeee, I’ve missed having someone to talk bollocks with. 🙂

One of the hostelries we might visit is the criket club which backs on to the away end. Here’s the review of the place which swung it for us…….
    Andrew Woodhall sent in this comment about the Cricket Club bar that he overheard from a visiting Gillingham fan; “Two pints of Theakstons, a bowl of pie and peas and a cigar….and still change from a fiver!”

Must go as I have to prepare some room for the incoming pork pies and sausage rolls.

Instead of the sea to stare at, simply take drugs and unplug

“incoming” is often followed by “duck”. How appropriate.

Have the best day you can in some northern shithole

Back for KO

Shame I missed the morning banter. Mrs R. wanted a “talk”. Never a pleasant experience and usually takes much longer than my method of clearing the air 😀

glad you got Mrs Raddy out of the way early and can concentrate on the PM 🙂 If I don’t comment it doesn’t mean I am not bovered, it means I am busy, ok? Match days (yeeeeeppeee) wouldn’t be the same without your posts

There is a