Was Friday night a full moon as the Wolf came out to play

Morning all

England played Lithuania on Friday night at Wembley with an 80,000 odd crowd turning up to watch England win a rather one sided game 4-0.

England Captain Wayne Rooney came close to opening the scoring just after the start when he ran onto a through ball and tried to beat the keeper to his left hand side. Rooney had beaten him by a mile but the ball hit the inside of the upright and rebounded away to safety. Not long after that Danny Welbeck picked up a through ball from Fabian Delph and after a great run he tried to shoot past the keeper but hit him instead, the rebound was in the air and Rooney put his head on it and found the back of the net. 1-0.

Danny worked hard and he was to be rewarded early in the second half when he went down low to steer a header towards goal where it rebounded off a defender’s leg but he couldn’t keep it out. The evenings pundits couldn’t give it to Danny as it hit a defender but England were in complete control over what I thought was a really bad Lithuania eleven, as has been said, you can only play who is in front of you.

Joe Hart could have had a shampoo and set as he was idle for most of this match as the Lithuania attack was non existent.  The England supporters were comfortable and enjoying the game as the goals were coming along so no need to worry. Roy Hodgson  was clenching his fist and punching the air, he won’t manage many easier games than this one.

Raheem Sterling although nursing an injured toe had agreed to play this game as it was a qualifier. After the game, Roy Hodgson said that Stirling would now be able to have an injection in the toe and had already agreed that he wouldn’t play against the Italians this week. Raheem did get on the score sheet as he broke through the Lithuanian defence as easy as a hot knife through butter, he got onto the ball and steered it past the hapless keeper and that was 3-0.

Near the end our Danny was subbed.  He looked to have picked up a leg injury as he was limping as he trudged off. Hodgson also spoke about him after the game and said that he too would miss the next game.

Harry (Wolfie) Kane came on. The papers and media had had a field day praising this 21 year old player from the swamp. Harry was on for 80 seconds when a quite brilliant bit of trickery from Stirling down the left hand side culminating in a magnificent deep cross was excitingly headed in by Wolfie. The fans, pundits and players went mental, Wolfie on his début with an 80 second first touch had put the icing on the cake. 4-0.

Hodgeson tried to defuse the speculation on Harry (Wolfie) Kane as a  future saviour by saying that Harry needs to be brought along slowly and he would appreciate it if there was not too much pressure on the young lad so early on in his career.`I expect Wolfie will have been eager to buy up all the newspapers.

The England Captain Wayne Rooney also spoke after the game. As he nears Bobby Charlton’s record for goals for England was quick to praise the players for a fine performance. Wayne had a good game and was a handful as usual, but was quick to praise the other young strikers. It doesn’t seem that long ago when he broke onto the England scene and now as he approaches record breaking feats another hopeful burst on to the scene. Rooney has come a long way, England have had a few knocks as has Rooney but for captain and rookies the future looks considerably good, 4-0 to England and I feel the English support went home very happy.

Steve Palmer

35 Responses to Was Friday night a full moon as the Wolf came out to play

1. chas mobile says:

Cheers, Steve.
    Quite an entertaining match report.
    Forgive me for being dumb, but where does the ‘Wolfie’ bit come from?

2. RC78 says:

Rooney is really coming of age in the national team – he is a great player although I am not a fan of his attitude…

England will qualify but do they have a chance to win it? I am not sure…I think Belgium and France are looking sharp and one cannot discout the usual suspects like Spain, Italy, Germany and the Netherlands…However, I would say that a semi-final spot is clearly achievable. The only issue is whether Carrick can play next year…Other than that, it is a good and balanced squad…I am sure that Townsend will be out of the squad by then…

2016 Squad:
    Hart – Walker, Clyne, Cahill, Baines – Henderson, Carrick, Barkley – Sterling, Rooney, Wellbeck

Fraser – Jones , Chambers, Jagielka, Gibbs – Ox, Wilshere, Milner (or Lallana) – Walcott, Kane, Sturridge

+ Foster (?)

It is a strong team by all means…

3. stevepalmer1 says:

Sorry Chas was doing housework 🙂 I made that up Chas, Years ago there was a program which was called Citizen Kane, He was a young hooligan and a young freedom fighter who was nicknamed Wolfie, it just seemed appropriate that’s all not heared the name Kane since.

4. stevepalmer1 says:

Hiya RC78, don’t like to disagree with you 78, but i feel England are doing what i feel is needed to improve in the big comps.

Hodgeson has cleverly brought in many new young talented players, and i feel its only when you see the England Squad that you realise that these players will be around for quite some time.

Many of the old guard that were an automatic choice for quite some years have now been offloaded and i feel that the youngsters many who have played at under 21 level know one another and have started to build friendships and comradely.

Still early doors i know but i still believe they will surprise us, if i am wrong i am sure you will give me some stick 🙂

5. RC78 says:

hey SP – i think they ll do well, at least semis…might be a little tight to win it but definitely a last 4

6. stevepalmer1 says:

Your probably right mate, depending on injuries as well, but i just have a feeling about them,

7. ‘afternoon all,

Well done Steve, on a point of order! The programme you are thinking of was Citizen Smith, the character Wolfie Smith was played by Robert Lindsay.

Citizen Kane was a 1941 movie starring Orson Welles, an alltogether different kettle of fish.

I can’t say that I’m really into England International football, I’ll watch it, but with no real expectation of seeing them win anything.

Apart from the old British Home Championship (abolished 1984) which England won on fifty-four occasions, they (we) have won only the World Cup in 1966. A dismal record by any standards.

Despite the growing euphoria about the present qualifying rounds for the upcoming Euros, I doubt that we’ll get as far as the semi-finals.

That said I do feel that there is a bit more purpose and maybe belief about the present squad, that could be due to finally getting shot of the last few remnants of the “Old Guard”. Thankfully we’ve seen the last of Lamps, Stevie Me and the rest of them. What a depressing experience it must have been for young players having to listen to the negative tales of previous tournaments related by such “stalwarts” of the England team.

Thanks Steve, I was impressed by the England performance. Also by Ozil’s contribution in the Germany game – we have the problem (nice problem) of fitting Santi in otherwise I would suggest we could learn a bit about how to maximise Ozil’s talents by watching how and where he plays for Germany.

Giro kept up his scoring form too …..

9. Any news on Ramsey? He seemed to injure himself in the final few minutes against Israel.

10. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all.Norfolk i stand corrected mate, You are right about the name of the program and the film, but in the program his nick name was still Wolfie, i remember that well., and thats what made me call him that, I am ageing mate Memory not as good as yours mate.

Thanks Rasp, many times i have been impressed with an Arsenal match and have been disappointed, but Arsenal are definitely making progress and i see England the same. I did see some of the German Game (we had company) and i did notice that Ozil was looking quite good, Fell asleep during the French Game so cannot comment on that, but reading about some of our players seems to have given them good reports

A brave effort, Steve — internationals are not the easiest topic to discuss at the best of times, which probably explains the muted response today.

Can’t say I care much for the internationals myself unless they are crammed with Arsenal players and even then………. 🙂

I take it that you are a canal fisherman as the closed fishing season runs until June on the rivers and reservoirs, doesn’t it?

The fish that I have seen caught on the canalised look fine, but the state of the canal water would put even Raddy off eating them. 🙂

canalised = canalside [sodding WordPress] 🙂

Norfolk,

Are you sure you are not a Scot? I noticed when you referred to the England team you wrote – ‘they’ (we)’ – a real faux pas when you have a super detective like me on your case. 🙂

14. No! No! No! Miss Marple,I’m not a Scot. Although if I’d had the chance I’d have voted Yes, in the idependence referendum.

15. Steve, Citizen Smith was a great comedy, I loved the way Wolfie’s prospective mother-in-law always called him Foxie.

Talking of great comedy, we’re currently watching a re-run of Cheers. Funnier than any present day “comedy”, it really makes me laugh.

Just by the by, Rasper has been doing too many crosswords and allowing the clues to leak into his blogging.

I had to read his 3:47 twice to work out who was being ‘fitted in’ to the Germany team – Özil or Santi, or was that the England team he had watched, or the unmentioned Arsenal team? 🙂

As a point of order, Monsieur Norfolk, can I draw your attention to another simply superb comedy show called ‘Modern Family’.

At first I raised my nose to the cast of characters which includes an elderly man married to a beautiful senhorita who has a teenage son, and now has a baby with the said senhorita, and by a previous marriage, he has two grown up children – a woman, married, with three teenage kids, and a gay son -married to a man – there’s a surprise, as well as various in-laws and friends.

Yeah – doesn’t sound too promising, I know, but it has some of the best acting and comedy lines I have seen in many years.

Give it a try – you will not be disappointed. 🙂

Well having tried to boost the comments, I will bid you adieu. 🙂

19. RA, I’ve heard some good reports about Modern Family, I’m going to wait a while before watching it to allow time for it to fully ripen,

Cheers, like a good cheese or Claret, has matured well and has not lost it’s flavour, colour or bite in the mean time.

Talking of Claret, I’m off to open a bottle to accompany tonight’s rib-eye steak.

‘evening all!!

20. stevepalmer1 says:

I feel its a sad time when people see internationals as not worth stopping our football league for, it kind of reflects how supporters who have not had to much success seem to lose interest.

I did leave a reply to some of your questions but wordpress stopped me from sending it so those that have left i apologise.

Steve I think part of the problem around Internationals is a problem manufactured by the branding of the PL. There was always banter between clubs and sometimes a little bit more, there was bragging rights, but I feel the PL and Sky have made any mutual respect difficult, it is very hard to suddenly like StevieMe (for example) when you’ve spent the best part of the season giving him abuse, the same with John Terry and Ashley Cole. Most supporters of England on away trips fly the flags of lower league teams, why? Because they are not part of the show, a show which includes heightening the rivalries and engendering bad blood between rival teams and players.

Very few can cross the divide, our Ox seems to be one that many people can get behind, Welly too, and even Sterling at the moment.

But will that be the same ten years down the line?

Personally I’m glad an England manager is finally giving youth a chance, I personally wouldn’t have Rooney in the current squad, as I feel he only has one major tournament left in him.

StevieMe and the rest of the “golden generation” that kept failing were called upon far too long, this process should have been started after the WC in SA.

I would also say that we need to find some you g English centre backs as I don’t think Jagielka or Cahill are good enough international defenders I’d also like to see a change at left and right back, Baines is too old to be useful past 2016, and we would be better served playing the likes of Jones and Stones to learn on the job.

22. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening GIE, not a lot of your comment that is not true mate, Maybe people as you say have got their hang ups, perhaps the 80 thousand that turned up did so for a night out as you do for a concert or the theatre.

Nobody even talks that much of present day world cup winners, strange as when i was young that was the only time you heard foreign names, Brazil players names were legendary and when we played as kids we all had our favourites how times change

I guess that’s the other thing Steve, as you say we baggsied WC goal scorers in games of elevenses (headers and volleys) and Wembley (one goal one ball, score and through to next round start with however many players, 1 attacker rest defending, until you get the ball then your attacking until down to two players in final).

But then we have three full size pitches on our local park where I take dog for walk, you could have your pick of a goal to play in these days.

When I was a kid growing up you’d be lucky to get a goal over our local park of 6 pitches, and the only way was to challenge others to a game.

ISit because these names are no longer special? We watch these players in CL, their domestic leagues, our domestic leagues. Take Sanchez for example, world cups would have been only time to see players like him, nowwe watch him week in week out.

GIE – The change is known as electronics/social media – today’s kids are so into their Ipods etc that they block almost everything else out!

Rasp/Peaches, I’ve emailed you a post to use this week.

“GunnerN5 says:
    March 30, 2015 at 10:24 pm (Edit)
    I’m sick of seeing Harry Kanes grinning mug all over the media – it’s bloody nauseating!”

Seconded

Thank you Steve. Again 🙂

Agree with many points above about English football and its fans. Big problem for me is the lack of personalities.

Gazza was the last entertaining footballer, and since then no stars and wow we’ve picked some dour managers.

As Gunners, we could identify with yer Admas’sss’s’s, and when young, aspire to yer Wrighties.

Don’t care how good or professional a player is, if youngsters don’t want to be like them on the park, the player is probably dull as dish water.

Exile

Are three quarter length trousers what my wife calls mid-season? 🙂

I call them shooting breeks. Chary calls them his Captain Kurks

Morning all, I too am sick of all the hype surrounding Harry Kane, let’s hope Theo outperforms him this evening and shuts them all up

Rasp – put your hands up and admit that you only said it to spark a debate

Morning Eddie, the mere mention of Eddie sparks debate on here these days 🙂

Really? I must blog more often 🙂
    Go on then, you don’t really think Theo is a better player than Harry at the moment.

Morning all …..

…. a quickly cobbled together New Post ……

blame Eddie 🙂