Theo or Raheem ….. who would you prefer at Arsenal?

Theo Walcott was looking to be developing into the player we always hoped he could be just before he was injured in the infamous game against Tottenham and lost another year out of his career. Since being eased back into the side recently, he has got into very good positions and made excellent runs but so far his shooting (which is usually pretty accurate) has been poor.

Theo seems to have lost none of his pace after the injury. We know he scores goals, so it is reasonable to expect him to start banging them in again soon.

Raheem Sterling is out of favour with many at Liverpool due to his reluctance to sign a new contract, allegedly because he wants more Sterling! We may be doing him a disservice, maybe he wants CL football and it’s not just about the money.

Sterling looked very good against Lithuania in the second half and has a level of control and ball skills above Theo. Is he such a good finisher – not at the moment.

Yesterday it was all over the media that Arsenal want Sterling. I’d put that down to hyping up Saturday’s game rather than anything remotely originating from Arsenal sources – but still with Theo’s contract also up for negotiation it does beg the question, could even some kind of swap deal be on the cards?

Compare the stats:

Theo is 26, 5ft 9ins and has scored 47 goals in 202 games for Arsenal = 1 every 4.3 games

Raheem is 20, 5ft 7ins and has scored 17 goals in 88 games for Liverpool = 1 every 5.17 games.

Theo is a thoroughly nice fella. He has married his childhood sweetheart and they have a baby son.

Raheem’s public image is not so squeaky clean. Despite internet stories of fathering multiple children he has only one daughter.

None of that is relevant to performance on the pitch ….. so which of the two would you prefer to see playing for Arsenal next season?

Rasp

86 Responses to Theo or Raheem ….. who would you prefer at Arsenal?

that is not fair! Why blame me when you twisted the question? No point asking if other Gunners would prefer Theo or Harry at the Ems!

I voted Theo

Just pulling your leg Eddie. I think Theo should be compared to Sterling more than Kane – although Theo himself would probably say the contrary since he considers himself to be a central striker.

Oi Rasp

Where’s the box for the “can’t decides”. I always like to know how many cretins are out there 🙂

I voted Sterling because I like change. He’s also more exiting to watch than Theo, and anyway, I’m lining up things in anticipation of Theo leaving in the summer, so that I’m ready and not disappointed.

I like Theo, but his clothes are just a wee bit too tight for my liking.

Thanks for post.

How much do we pay Theo? Kane signed a 5 year deal at about £40k a week, Sterling allegedly wants £150k

Eddie
    1. Stop going on and on and on about Kane. He’s a flash in the pan.
    2. Sterling is worth £100k more a week of other peoples’ money
    3. I thought Poland had the Euro and it doesn’t

micky
    1 Why should I, everybody is banging on about him. We thought Bale was a one trick pony
    2 ‘Other’ people are Scoucers. They pay more for tickets and the taxpayer will have to foot the bill one way or another
    3 Euro in Poland? No thank you, we are not completely mad. Zloty meaning Gold is the currency. Great ROE at the moment

Hi Micky, it’s not my fault you are ambivalent …. get off the fence man 😆

I’ve just thought of a better headline …..

…. Sterling or Stirling Moss? 🙂

9. PV4 says:

Theo all day long. I think that Sterling – a bit like Kane is massively over-hyped by the media. If Theo was to remain fit and have a run in the team I believe he has far more than Sterling, who has flattered to deceive for many weeks now. No doubt that under AW he would become better, but Theo is already better – he just needs football.

10. ‘morning all, in current popular terminology, it’s a no-brainer, Walcott every time.

Sterling looks not much different to the ex-spud Lennon and has an over developed opinion of his own worth. He’d probably only get a seat on our bench if he made the step up from ‘pool. So what’s the point in changing, better the devil you know!

Didn’t Sterling win best u21 player in the world or something?

serious q

12. Rasp, how about Kate Moss? 😀

13. Only in his own dreams, Micky.

14. Sturridge was allowed to sit out the internationals due to a hip injury which Hodgson said would keep him off the pitch for a month, guess what? I’ts not as bad as first thought. He could be fit to play against us at the weekend.

Sterling was released back to his club after the Lithuania game with a sore toe, he’s also in line to play.

Welbeck picked up a knee injury and is doubtful. Ramsey appeared to hurt himself late on in the game against Israel.

Internationals? Stuff ’em I say.

15. brizzleGunner says:

Since Theo has returned, he hasn’t really got involved in the games he’s played in. Whether that’s because he’s not match sharp or due to they way we play now we play Giroud, Alexis, Cazorla and Ozil in the same side, or possibly a bit of both, I don’t know. What I think is that Theo is an ‘end product’ kind of player, I.e. he likes to play on the shoulder of the last defender and use his pace to get in behind to score after all the build up has been done. Sterling can do the above but is also good at the build up play, something which Theo seems to struggle with at the moment. The way we play at the moment means that players have to be very good at both and that is why Theo is struggling for game time

Welcome brizzle, that’s a fine assessment. I think Theo is a slightly different type of player to Sterling and probably makes more (and better) runs to feed off the likes of Ozil. Neither of them are great defensively but Sterling may just shade that side of the game.

I know this is a Sterling or Theo chat, but is Arsene cooling on Theo. Surely he’s fit and sharp enough to be starting more than he is?

micky – I think it is something to do with TW new contract negotiations not going very smoothly if you know what I mean

Rasp,

You are a shining example of the convert. Vociferous in your previous views about Theo, now you love him.

Anyway, Chas will be irritated to have another round of Theo – altho’ a Post is a Post – and as I am scared of him, I will withdraw further comments. And I agree with him.

NG,

I never really understand phrases like – “it’s a no-brainer, Walcott every time”.

Do you mean only people without brains would vote for him? 🙂

21. chas mobile says:

Theo’s shit. 🙂

22. chas mobile says:

Only joking, of course.
    If Theo is banging in the goals he’s worth his place in the team.
    If not, then he contributes little to our team play.
    It was a real shame about that injury as he was definitely in our starting eleven at the time. Now he’s back and the injury took a big chunk out of his relatively short extension, so back to flipping negotiations again. He’s not worth bigger cash at the mo.

Having said that, here’s hoping he bangs in so many in these last 8 games that he has to be re-signed. 🙂

Hi Redders, I was a loud voice on AA for getting Theo to sign his new contract and stay at Arsenal last time so you must be going back 3 years or more to find a time when I was, to quote chas 🙂 , a ‘Theo is shitter’

24. chas mobile says:

Disappointed to hear that Raheem hasn’t already fathered his own 6-a-side team.

I’m not sure we need another quick-footed midget.
    Maybe if he was 6 2 and a guaranteed 30 goal a season left winger, then maybe. Speaking of which, where’s Arnie? 🙂

25. baba says:

if we can sign raheem i would have prefer him to theo

Irony upon irony chas 😆

I agree, that Maradona midget was rubbish 🙂

27. RC78 says:

Why can’t we have both?

28. chas mobile says:

Oh, and RA
    Stop making out I’m the big bad wolf. Everyone knows I know least about football on here, but just attend games for the camaraderie, cider and pork pies. 🙂

I would prefer Theo over Sterling, but I do worry whether he can get a run of games without getting injured again.

I felt that this years squad had a great shot at the PL title but injuries took away any chance that we had.

30. chas mobile says:

Flipping heck, I’d never put Sterling in the Maradona bracket!

Just an observation about the generalisation of condemning players just because they aren’t 6ft 3in. Thank god we don’t or Santi and Alexis would be playing elsewhere.

32. chas mobile says:

If Sterling and Walcott had a fight, who do you think would win?

Depends who the ref is ….. probably The Sun and The Daily Mail

Ant would duff both of them if they spilled his pint? 🙂

Yarmolenko is the guy we need.

6’2″ – lefty who can play right wing too.

Oh – have I said that 3 or 4 times before? 🙂

Redders, I believe the expression ‘no brainer’ implies that the decision is so simple and obvious that you don’t need to use your brain to reach the right conclusion ……. I tend to employ my big toe on such occasions 😀

37. RC78 says:

Theo can be a decisive player – he needs games and he needs to stay fit. He adds width and depth to the game as well as to our team.

Raheem? – Giroud – Sanchez vs Theo – Wellbeck – Gnabry
    Ox – Bender? – Ramsey vs Cazorla – Coquelin – Ozil
    Debs, Garay?, Kos, Gibbs vs Bellerin, Chambers, Gabs, Mon
    Cech? vs Ospina or PiG

I do not know about you but with the addition of Cech, Garay, Bender and Raheem – we would be gearing towards being contenters for national and european honors…

Raheem, Walcott, Sanchez, Theo and Wellbeck can play wide and central – which would boost our options

Ox’s best role is B2B mid and he should play there. The only thing is what do we do with Wilshere, Arteta and Rosicky on one side and how do we help Bielik, Zelalem, Sanogo and Akpom in their development on the other side…

Cech is 10 Mln pounds and you can offload one between Osp and PiG to make space for Cech…

Garay (or a similar player) is what we need in our back four (20 Mln pnds) and I would sacrifice BFG for him as I believe that BFG has had an “ok” career with us so far and we would not miss him if he were replaced by a player like Garay. Our rock in defense is Kos, not BFG so for me, he can go…

Flamini should be leaving and Diaby is out so there is definitely space for Bender to join – 25 Mln pds

Up front, we can always add pace and trickery and Raheem would bring that to us and for 40 Mln pds, he is worth is at 20 yo.

Buys = 95 Mln
    Sales: PiG – 12 Mln ; BFG – 8-10 Mln ; Rosicky – 8 Mln ; Podolki – 8 Mln = 36 Mln

Net Investment: 59 Mln

If we want to cash in more, we should sell Wilshere as well. He will bring around 25 Mln Pds. We also sell Campbell for 12 Mln and there you go so we would then need an overall investment of 22 Mln to become genuine contenders…It is not too bad…

Our full backs would be our weakest point but our midfield would be outstanding and so would our front line…

I mean to be honest: who do you pick between:

Midfield: Ox – Bender – Ramsey – Cazorla – Coquelin – Ozil

Front: Raheem – Giroud – Sanchez – Theo – Wellbeck – Gnabry

38. RC78 says:

BTW – Pedro avalable for 20 Mln EUR this summer…27 yo Spanish international…

39. Believe it or not, Diaby not only started a game for Arsenal, he got through to half-time unscathed at which point he was withdrawn as previously planned.

Debuchy, Arteta and Wilshire also started, the latter pair were subbed at half-time while Debuchy played on for sixty minutes.

Goals from Wilshire, Daniel Crowley and two from Alex Iwobi before half-time gave our guys an unassailable lead, although Brentford got one back but our striker Stephy Mavididi had a penalty saved.

Good to see that some of our walking wounded are on the way back.

40. RC78 says:

I think that one of the biggest questions for AW this summer will be around Wilshere and the other one about Campbell…What do we do with them? They are clearly good players but will the make it with us?

41. RC78, Wilshere will have to prove his fitness longterm. My guess is that he’ll be given another season, but he could go this summer. I can’t see much room for Campbell or Podolski, Gnabry is playing again and he’s younger as well as being on lower wages.

42. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all, Nice one Rasper,
    You obviously asked the question because you have doubts on both of them, Both are players who will hold their clubs to ransom so i think we know what is important to both of them.

Stirling we are not quite sure whether its money or CL but what we are sure of is he hasn’t signed so he is either not prepared for a club without CL or a club that wont pay him what he thinks his worth.

Good player very tricky does everything you could want from a player in that position , but do we want another that could hold us to ransom.

Theo Ten years waiting for him to full fill our expectation and disappointment for the ten years do we give him another chance or do we move him on. Personall with players like Gnabry and The Ox plus Belerin i would move him on. Just how long can you wait have we not learnt anything from Diaby

Gibbo and Theo are playing tonight….

Italian national anthem must be the best sounding one in the world

Let’s watch and see if Theo is MotM tonight

Eddie

Their anthem sounds like ice cream van music. Una gelato per favore ‘an all that

harry Kane almost scored already 🙂

pee off DidIt, you is jealous, ice cream van music! Do you get ice cream vans coming to your neck of woods? I bet your children are deprived of that joy

I’m only aware that I have one child 🙂 🙂

Musically, I like the French anthem, but being nasty republicans, they don’t have words about kings, queens, gods, fairies, unicorns and shit. All of which I like 🙂

See Eddie, Theo’s miles better than Kane 🙂

one child and a memory like an elephant 🙂

yeah, La Marseillaise is a great tune. I don’t understand a word of it so for i know it is all about kings, queens, shit and fairies

Theo having a good game so far, all he needs is a goal

Rasp said this morning : “Since being eased back into the side recently, he has got into very good positions and made excellent runs but so far his shooting (which is usually pretty accurate) has been poor”

I don’t know the words either, but given the French have never done or said anything of any value, I wouldn’t bother looking it up 🙂

Dear God, Eddie, NEVER quote Rasp. The consequences could be unbearable

just checked it – it has kings, God, breasts, animals, lots of bullshit

No mention of bad breath?
    That surprises me

Rasp was right though, wasn’t he
    How could Harry score when that macaroni eating cheat has him in a headlock?

That was a bit boring wasn’t it

Ok Eddie, who shall we rude about during the second half?

I’d better not answer this one. Let’s stick to football

59. stevepalmer1 says:

Walcott is pitiful a passenger of the highest order,get him off, had ten minutes with Arsenal since he came back and has never shown any commitment at all, I am getting more and more frustrated with a player who looks scared.

those Italians are disgusting! Harry barely touched his arm and the fecker was rolling on the pitch, disgraceful

There is something old-fashioned about Harry, the traditional English look. A bit like Ricky Willson from the Keizer Chiefs, I love that look

Is Jagielka normally this good?

Jagelka has always been immense for Everton, there was a lot of talk about him coming to us 4 or 5 years ago, but it never happened, shame, he is good.

No, I cannot be interested in this game, id did try, but all to avail. Good night.

Let’s look on the bright side Steve
    Theo will still be fresh come Saturday 🙂

wow what a good goal

4 spuds on the pitch 😦

Stand ins for Ox, Jack, Theo, Chambers and…..

…… sterling? 😕

oh yeh, Gibbs and Danny 🙂

Danny would have scored this evening. Delphi was woeful

We miss a midfield playmaker, I’d play the Ox in the AM role if he were fit

much better 2nd half
    and on that note
    he’s off

72. stevepalmer1 says:

Dont Micky 😦
    Looked a lot better when Ross came on changed the game

79. fatgingergooner says:

Lots of terrible April Fools headlines around today, but my favourite is Cape Verde supposedly beating Portugal 2-0. That’s hilarious! Oh wait……..

80. ‘morning all, despite my aversion to internationals, especially friendlies, I did watch last night’s England game just to see how Walcott performed, I wasted my time, well not quite as I did complete a crossword during the first half.

As to Theo’s latest outing, sad to say it was pretty poor, he just doesn’t fit the central striker role.

Unless there is a marked improvement, between now and the season’e end, I think it will be time to call it a day and flog him. Chelsea and Liverpool seem interested so hopefully they’ll fight it out and raise the price.

It’s neck and neck in the poll, Walcott leads by a single vote, 109/108.

We have a New Post …………………….