Arsenal v The Russians. Style v Thuggery.

Last night I was very busy getting old, so missed watching Chelsea tumble out of the Champions League. This is, in fact, considerably funnier than it might appear at first glance.

Getting old is very sobering, and one side effect can be looking back over one’s life. Never have been a prolific reader, so no surprise I didn’t finish my first book until I was about twelve. The Kon Tiki  Expedition.  Second book, Muhammad Ali: My Own Story, in which he talks about style. Style in whatever you do, and how, had he not been a boxer but rather a garbage man, he would have collected more than anyone else, and faster, and with more style.

There is a cost to your actions.

Another piece of advice in my youth came from a friend of my father’s at about the same time: “no matter what you do in life remember this. In ten or twenty years you will find yourself meeting up with old chums, and you CANNOT tell them you make handbags”. No idea why he chose handbags, but perhaps for the very reason that I never forgot the advice.

This brings me nicely on to Chelsea and that loathsome reptile Jose Mourinho.

As usual this morning, I got up, made coffee, and while I checked through emails, I caught up on late comments from this site. Last night was dominated by talk of the appalling tactics deployed by a “win at any cost” Chelsea.

When it comes to my football, I am a romantic and a fantasist. Somewhere deep within there is a realist who understands that The Arsenal need things like defenders, but I don’t like it, and yes, 2-3-5 remains my preferred line up.

Here’s the thing though. I know people who avoid certain summer as well as winter holiday resorts simply to avoid the Chelsea style of wealthy thugs. I know people who have given up memberships of what were once exclusive London nightclubs to avoid the thugs in the blacked out Range Rovers with their “security”. I even know a lifelong Chelsea supporter who chucked in his season ticket and now goes to watch Brentford.

When I was a young school boy, a teacher told me cheating was only “cheating yourself”. Not really, I thought, I just got an A in Chemistry.

With hindsight, was the teacher right? Well, one moral must be, if you are going to cheat, then for God’s sake win. Doing it and losing is nothing short of hysterically funny for your critics.

Written by MickyDidIt89

114 Responses to Arsenal v The Russians. Style v Thuggery.

😀 Beautifully expressed Micky. Even Buzz Lightyear could fall with style – apparently chavski can’t even do that.

They are guilty of crimes against football and thoroughly deserve all the derision coming their way.

I may be alone here, but I’ve given this some thought.

Yes, I do believe it’s possible to spend a whole day laughing at Maureen and Chelsea.

Just love seeing people with massive gold bracelets and enormous egos fail

3. PV4 says:

The glorious taste of revenge? That’s what I felt like watching those diving, cheating thugs. Mou’s face was a picture – nowhere to hide and smug backfire overload! His tactics have dragged our game through the mud. His bile and hatred (particularly of AW) has propelled him to new heights of distaste. Justice now would be for those cocky bastards to blow the league. Oh, and one more thing, how does Costa escape yellow cards?

This has just become my favourite AA post.
    Lovely stuff, Micky.

This is the closest I could find to a skinhead crying. 🙂

5. PV4 says:

@chas 10:02 – that’s the picture of smug backfire overload! Perfect.

6. Excellent stuff MDi89, you’d have to have a heart of stone not to delight in the Chavs exit.

True, our champions league participation hangs by a thread but we should all stop what we are doing at least 10 times today and laugh uproariously at the Chavs and their loathsome manager.
    Hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha.

“smug backfire overload”

Seriously high quality work PV4 🙂

Hey Chas
    Can we have a pic of a crying John Terry.

10. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all, Before i comment on the post may i just wish you a belated Birthday greeting, all night last night i was going to write you one but was taken over by the match, so now i have finally said it , back to your fine post.

Although i must admit,Maureen has a way with him that gets peoples goat specially Gooner’s there was a time i felt he was quite amusing and wondered what things may of been like here had Wenger died or hadn’t come in the first place. Luckily that never happened and despite Wenger going up and down in peoples estimation he remains the best Manager in the world.

Maureen’s accolades are outstanding winning many trophies with different clubs shows him to be successful, many believe him to be outstanding not many Gonners i may add. But Maureen although being manager when clubs have won things has never really built a team all he has done is add to teams and usually adds the players others cannot afford.

Now some people may still find that as outstanding, but personally i find that what our man has done in his time here is far more outstanding given what restrictions he has had, Highbury was Arsenal no question at all in my mind North bank Clock end Arsenal to a tee, But to improve the club we had to move not a million miles away just a few yards, Supporters could still attend games while Emirates was built so never missed a game.

Many of the old supporters hated moving many still moan that we should never had moved but this is The Arsenal we are talking about, they need to build they need to expand they needed to move to keep up with modern day demand for tickets, we now house almost double the amount of supporters, maybe the old die-hards liked the exclusive rights to a season ticket but times change and Arsenal now boasts one of the finest stadia in world football clear sights for supporters places to eat get a beer a seat that you can sit in for a couple of hours and enjoy a good view all this has been done on Wengers watch and whilst being changed he kept us at the level we have come to expect, yes he had his hands tied yes he was called a skinflint yes he bargain basement for players but he also kept us competing.

Jose Mourinho may have a lot of admirers many may say he is brilliant not Micky of course but for those that think Maureen is still a top Dog Never ever forget the man that actually builds teams builds stadiums that man may leave within the next couple of years but he leaves a legacy of what a modern manager can achieve with his hands tied and that for me says everything.

I hope you had a great birthday Micky i wish you all the best mate, you wont forget this birthday Maureen goes home with a bloody nose Ha Ha

ROLF Chas

Pretty please a blubbing skinhead 🙂

12. The Cockie Monster says:

Quality post, Surf Dude near Bude !.

After Monday and last night, I`m thinking of getting in touch with Green Peace as I`ve never seen players dive deeper than a harpooned whale like that !…………..and to tell the truth, if the outcome of last nights result doesn`t help with the erectile dysfunction then you are in trouble and it`s best you have the op` and become a lesbian !.

13. Ant says:

Sorry about duplicate

14. PV4 says:

John Terry doll…genius!

Great post Micky, you were fortunate as if you had watched the game last night you would have seen handbags every where.

I was really annoyed when Cahill scored their go ahead goal and I switched off – what an idiot I missed all of the excitement.

Chelsea – especially a Mourinho type of Chelsea are a blight on football.

16. ‘morning all, belated birthday wishes Micky and thanks for a fine post. Don’t worry about getting old, I’m old and as far as I’m concerned this is the best time of my life.

I’m still smiling about the Chavs defeat, what a bunch of whinging, diving cheats? It makes me laugh when I read that Hazard is the most fouled player in the Champions League, what they mean is that he is awarded the most free-kicks, at least fifty percent of which are for dives.

Seriously though, the powers that be must take action to put an end to the mobbing of referees, it should have no place in modern football.

Oh dear Top Gear just become Bottom Gear I discovered that Jeremy Clarkson is a Chelsea supporter – all good things come to an end!

18. GN5, check out the Matt cartoon in this morning’s Telegraph. ;d

19. 😀 Third time lucky?

NG – That’s funny and would likely put the show in reverse.

Micky,

I think your familial friend actually said ‘Don’t let them know you like your handbags’.

For myself I think if you like handbags, high-heels and skirts — you should do your own thang – why not.

I liked the Post! 😀

22. Shard says:

Oh I didn’t realise it was Micky’s birthday yesterday.

Happy birthday. You have now earned the monicker Micky Handbags. That will be your thug name. Not quite badass enough to be a killer, but definitely enough to do some pushing around, and rebelling against your father……’s friend 🙂

Once again, Happy Birthday Micky H.

What a wonderful article and wonderful sentiment. Unfortunately cheaters prosper. Mourinho’s whole standing in the game is proof of that. The clubs he’s worked for basically cheat other clubs in the league through their financial position, the kind of football he plays promotes cheating, and sickeningly, also earns plaudits. Which I suppose makes it all the more hilarious when he fails. When his pompous bloated face wears more and more of a desperate expression. Like against Bradford, and then yesterday. (smug backfire overload 😀 😀 :D)

His attempt to once again drape himself with the English/British flag was both disgusting and hilarious in its transparency. He last tried to act as a spokesperson for English values when his team cheated and kicked his way to beating Arsenal and he called it a game for men (before quickly adding …and women… to avoid being accused of sexism)

But even his pals/sycophants in the British press couldn’t say that the better team lost yesterday. Chelsea really were terrible last night and it was glorious.

Maureen is an expert at aping ‘victimhood’ – apparently it was PSG who plagued the ref, dived and were overly aggressive – not the Chavs.

He must think we have all been lobotomised.

There was one journalist [and perhaps others] who bought it and altho saying PSG were the better team, also said that they had used the ‘dark arts’ as Maureen had stated.

Mareen is an OK manager if you like an anti-football pragmatist, but he is more importantly a ‘lucky’ manager as wherever he has gone he has had unlimited money to shower on buying some of the best players around.

AW said he would have bought Drogba or Hazard and others but Arsenal did not have the money — imagine if he had been able to do so — and some think that having the luxury of buying top players and therefore buying trophies makes Maureen a great manager – rubbish.

A fine and humorous post Micky. A couple of observations. Firstly you need to pull your finger out Micky and start taking your birthday celebrations more seriously. There is no way that you should have been in any fit state to get up early and compile a post (although I did love it and am grateful).

Secondly I was one of those posting yesterday about the abhorrent Maureen and Chavs and their cheating ways. What was even funnier Micky was Maureens post match interview. It started off all humble with congratulations to the opposition but then he descended in to accusing them of being over physical and using clever underhand tactics.

There would be a time when it would have annoyed me but I found it so funny I was laughing out loud. My wife was wondering what I found so amusing. Even better was that both Carragher and Souness outed him for the hypocrite he was. Carragher was slightly more measured but Souness gave it with both barrels.

I have had a bug bear for some time about these pundits not pulling him up on his hypocrisy. Maybe now the penny is dropping and everyone is realising what he truly is, and he will not get away with the media just fawning over his eccentric interviews talking about what a great character he is while conveniently ignoring these inconsistencies.

This could have future impact on not getting the favourable decisions that Chavs have enjoyed for so long. Now they just need to dish out the appropriate red cards to Costa, he should have had about 5 this year so there is some catching up to be done, and to start penalising Hazard every time he puts his leg across the opposition in a deliberate obstruction to draw a foul rather than actually rewarding the decision to him.

Lastly Micky I have just come back from Louis Vuitton’s £15m estate where I was enjoying some Lobster, Beluga Caviar and Bollinger Champagne. He was telling me how embarrassing he finds it when he gets old school friends around to his mansion for a £200k pool party and they ask him what business he is in. 🙂

I had a sneaking feeling that PSG could do it last night. I have also looked at the evidence before me and have a sneaking feeling that we can turn the Monaco tie around. I even thought from a couple of weeks back that we would maybe be the only English team to progress, even though many would say I am bonkers but I have my reasons for believing this. Lets hope my gut feelings turn out correct.

Hi GB, Louis Vuitton’s estate boarders your friend’s house. He’s already spent millions on it including several miles of perimieter fencing to retain the herd of deer he intends to take pot shots at!

Oh and BTW,……

We hate Chelsea and we hate Chelsea
    We hate Chelsea and we hate Chelsea
    We hate Chelsea and we hate Chelsea
    We are the Chelsea … haters

Don’t you just love football chants … so lyrical 😆

27. Ibra: “When the red card happened the worst thing was the Chelsea players. I felt there were 11 babies around me.”

28. Oh, I see that this Ibra statement is all over media. But still. He is funny. Always wants to hit at people.

Quietly ignored by all is the delicious irony that one of the most thuggish players in the Premier League, Costa, had a perfectly good penalty appeal turned down.

The ref must have had enough of his histrionics. 🙂

By the way, GoonerB Bad, I noted your latest animal comment; “I have had a bug bear for some time” — if you try to tell me that you are going to worm it any time soon – war will be declared!

30. arnie says:

ha ha ha. lovely one Micky. 🙂 🙂 🙂 What a brilliant birthday gift! 😛

Notheing new to contribute, so I will just reapeat Chary’s:

“we should all stop what we are doing at least 10 times today and laugh uproariously at the Chavs and their loathsome manager.
    Hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha.” 🙂 🙂 🙂

Beware bad language

34. The Cockie Monster says:

Just spoke to Transplant on the phone, he`s giving up accountancy to work at Tesco`s on the fruit and veg aisle !.

Genius Micky – I loved every word 😀

Would love the Chavs to blow the league, but I can’t see them slipping up that much.

I’ll settle for us beating them at the Ems…

38. RC78 says:

Paris est magique! Si t’es fier d’etre parisien, tape dans tes mains…

OMG – my home team beat Chelsea – sweet revenge from last year! Now let’s been Monaco and we can have a PSG-Arsenal game securing one of my teams in the semis 🙂

Happy Birthday Micky

Sod Chelsea

Ime all for cheating, lying, and conning people, but not in football for gawds sake, thats bang out of order.

Watching last nights pantomime it occurred to me that Chelsea almost became a caricature of themselves. So engrossed in the dark arts and theatre of the event, they forgot how to play.

I know Moronio. Just like my cheating has left me living in a Loft and an expert on ready made meals, he is half way there to the frozen counter.

in my case, I committed the harmless sins of been unfaithful, playing with peoples feelings, and screwing the affable out of there money

In his case, he has muddied the greatest game on earth and with his cheating has denied Arsenal there rightful place at the top of the table.

I am not a violent man, but when we meet Chelsea at the Grove I hope Arsene zippers him

Cornwall, those spiders? hahaha

Ive got to get me some of them. To see if they can extend a bona beyond four hours, ime willing to stick them down my trousers. hahaha

Evening Terry. Make sure you take out your codpiece and the pair of ski socks you keep down there first.

GB,

Our Terry stuffs ski sticks down his shorts – not just ski socks.

Anyway, it would not be fair to the spiders to stick them ‘down under’, as they would have a terrible time finding the Terry target!! 🙂

43. The Cockie Monster says:

Transplant sticking the spiders down his trousers !…..a web of intrigue !. Remember !…..these are spiders that attach themselves to bananas !, so I recommend carrying a tin of yellow paint about your person, but go steady, I don’t want you being over come with emulsion !…….groan !. hahaha
    Also, it could be embarrassing walking around Bounds Green for 4 hours with a yellow hardon !….keep a white coat and hat handy and try and bluff your way as a lolly pop man at the school crossing !…..for heavens sake don’t let the kids hold the bulging yellow pole !. hahaha

hahaha, Cornwall. If I follow your advice the last thing I will need is a four hour extension. I will be having a bloody long holiday with Gary Glitter

How am I going to explain myself to the judge? Sorry your worshipness. The stiffy is a result of sticking some boner inducing spiders down my pants. The reason its yellow is i had to fool the little bastards that I am really a banana.

I will probably get life. Well at least I can then afford to be generous. GB and Redders can have my codpiece and ski sticks. hahaha

Don’t mind watching those goals against Utd again 🙂

Cheers Chas

Cracking post from Micky. Full of wisdom.

I amine having to tell your school friends that you were something bizarre like a seal trainer or even worse a hippy!

I was a sea LION trainer

Seals are for wimps

Jeepers. Some people

Who’d have thought the post Chav demise afterglow would last two days?

Looking forward to listening to Football Weekly Extra on way to work.

Fine post Micky, we shouldn’t forget we were very willing to support a similarly pragmatic style when GG was the boss, however the football landscape was very different, no European competition, and the majority of teams adopting a different style of play, the long ball high percentage game with a big lump up front.

In the last ten or twenty years football has evolved, we have spent time watching and learning and embracing the continental style but bringing that into a frenetic PL is not easy. In fact in recent seasons as money becomes all important football has regressed, as it’s an at all cost survival game for many of the smaller teams in the PL, some like Swansea and Southampton show that a pass and move attitude will get you enough wins to stay in the PL if you have the right players and the right manager, but it all depends on the talent at disposal, and whilst pundits continue to forgive the footballing pragmatists the league will continue to suffer.

Ooops. I knew it was some sort of sea-mammal.

I was reviewing the many embarrassing jobs I have had and came to the conclusion the one I couldn’t tell my friends about are the few years I was an accountant (sorry if that insults anyone 🙂 )

Love that sea-lion vid

BR
    Surely it’s a badge of honour if you were an accountant but got out. 🙂

GIE. Perhaps the fact that the Chavs two English players (both CB’s) are among the worst cheats in the game suggests it is no longer continental style

chas. Thank you. That helps heal a deep wound

Cheeky fekkers……..

Although I am now a business adviser, far more interesting 😀

Terry shopping for bananas?

Morning all, sorry I missed the end of yesterdays conversation about the inside of Terry’s underpants. How did it all end up? I was imagining in a state of national emergency and the national guard being scrambled.

So the conversation has moved onto sea lions and GIE being a business advising accountant 🙂 and of course the Chavs.

Right so in Crystals unfortunate absence i am going to predict we beat Monaco 3-0 or 4-1. My feeling is 4-1. Catch you all a bit later.

9.00am Chas, Brilliant

58. RC78 says:

I think we can beat Monaco BUT we have to set-up right…

I would go as follows:
    Osp – Chambs, BFG (:-(), Kos, Gibbs – Ramsey, Coquelin – Santi – BELLERIN, Wellbeck, Sanchez

I would really like to see Bellerin as RW because he will be able to cause trouble offensively and annoy them on the wings as well defensively. I would also start Wellbeck ahead of Giroud because Wellbeck is going to be ona high for a few games after his goal vs Man Utd in the cup…so there it is.

Monaco is compact but their CBs are not great and their RB is not the best either. I think Ramsey and Santi can cause enough havoc in the middle of the park too because Guilavougui will never play to the same level he did at the Emirates…COYG!

59. buggering internet… not been able to get a network all morning so had to come to a bar and got a connection immediately. So a glass of pastis, some vitamin D and watching women walk past in their Deaf and dumbs…. lovely stuff.

btw… good post didit… still got too much time on your hands.:-)

When I get home later will probably not have a connection… so it may be visit the bar every day to get my AA fix 🙂

NB. Seems the right course of action. It is what I do when in Italy

61. VCC says:

Enner Valencia injures his foot by stepping on a broken tea cup?????? and out of the week end fixture. If true, this will be beneficial to Arsenal. He is a danger if in the mood.

smut?

Raddish,

That was interesting to learn you were an accountant and then you weren’t. 🙂

It is not an unusual occurrence – if someone’s pot belly [heaven forfend that would be you] makes it impossible to rely on seeing and using his 11 little toes and 3 big ones for counting, it is only a matter of time before he has to head for the hills with his banjo. 😀

But, I bet you swim well.

Micky,

This might come too late in the day, as you have probably gone for your afternoon nap.

You are famously indulgent in your desires for the Arsenal team, with a preponderance for over-many forwards – with a casual passing blast at the defensive style of play preferred by Gorgeous George.

But here’s the thing — George was someone who loved a tight defensive unit with two backs and 3 centre halves and a higgledy piggledy mixture of midfielders and forwards — more easily understood by the 1 : 2 : 3 : 5 notation.[ 2 : 3 : 5 in shorthand].

Now oddly enough that is the same 2 : 3 : 5 you posit as your preferred line-up.

You are clearly a closet ‘defensist’ and should be ashamed of yourself — you sheep thingy in wolves’ furcoats!

Brilliant work from The Gentleman. I will be laughing all the way to tonight’s Woodland Drum Circle.

67. Evening all, I’m a knot ear but just a quick note today my chum SirA is going to the game tomorrow so he’s volunteered to do the match report.
    If the blog guv’nors are around hope that’s ok.

68. Ant says:

Yes please chary

70. Cool. It may be late Sunday morning if I get up late to post it Rasp, but it’ll be there.

Those complete ***ts in the drum circle make me want to puke.
    Been to India have they. Tossers. “Rhythm succeeds where words fail”. Really? “Time stops and we all evaporate”. Knobs

Anyway. Match Day. I wonder if THIS game suits Theo!! Becoming something of a ROLFING matter

For fucks sake Eddie, get back. Don’t like not having you in the morniings.

Really bad news. No milk. 10 mile round trip at this time 😦

No wonder you’re in such a foul mood. 🙂

75. Ant says:

Just remember Terry’s face on Wednesday evening M!

Not in a bad mood at all Chas 🙂

Just been on AFC site reading Arsene’s comments on Theo’s contract negotiations. It is just possible to read between the lines 🙂

Great article Chas

I think we’re about to find out. With no Ox, will Arsene revert to Danny out wide instead of Theo?

I can’t read between the lines. What does it say Micky?

“We’ll flog him given half a chance” 🙂

If they are to sell him and I think they will, then he will be certain to get pitch time in order to boost his fee.

On the other hand, AW may keep him on the naughty step – just for fun

Albert Steptoe?

I don’t understand how this photo is in colour.

Raddy
    There’s a classic line about Theo’s contract negotiations where Arsene says he’s quick on the field, but not off it 🙂

Matchday hey hey…. I’ll be at the bar today for the match.. with my West Ham supporting mate, should be fun 🙂 will take my laptop with me so can join everyone behind the sofa.

But fir now…. More wine.

Eddie is innocent…. bring her back. I want to have her in the mornings as well 🙂

I like days when I’m checking the weather for N5.

Football. Hmmmmmm.

Micky.That is very funny.

chas. As I understand it colour photography became popular in the ’50’s and that pic looks early ’60’s.

Yeah, but didn’t they win the league in black and white?

I knew we should have been top of the league. 😆

chas. Thanks for that vid. I can see FCK’s ground from out my window – it is a 2 minute walk. The local derby is nasty – both teams have firms though Brondby fans are worse.

I took Mrs Raddy to one after which she refused to ever go to a match again.

Duuurrrrgh. I a so slow.

Is that Jayne Mansfield?

I thought you might like it, BR.
    I didn’t know the Danes were proper nawty.

Great pic

Now look at the crap people wear to games 🙄

Yep, Jayne Mansfield.

After posting that spuds photo, I started looking to see if that was the Park Lane goal in which Liam scored in 1978.

This turned up from looking at photos

And this

Ok. Things to do
    Back for coffee later and a good read

Cmon you Gunners.

There’s a New Post ……………….