The FA Cup history of Arsenal vs Manchester United

I havespent many hours researching the history of the games played between the two clubs and different sites had different records. Based on my research I believe that the results that I’m using are reliable however the records go back 121 years so it is still possible that there may be some minor discrepancies.   ………………………………………………………………………………………………….

The first game between the two world famous clubs took place away at North Road, Manchester. It was played on Saturday October 13th 1894 and the game ended in a 3-3 draw. Both teams were in League Division 2 and at the time – United were known as Newton Heath and Arsenal as Woolwich Arsenal.

During our years in Division 2 we played United on 20 occasions with a winning record of W10 L7 D3, both teams had dominant home records.

3a

Arsenal finished 2nd in 1903/4 with 49 points and gained promotion to Division 1 beating out United who finished 3rd with 48 points. United gained promotion the following season and our first game in Division 1 took place away on Nov 10th, 1906 we lost 0-1 and won our home game 4-0.

We were relegated back to Division 2 in 1912/13 but due to some back room shenanigans by Sir Henry Norris we “popped” back up 1919/20 and have remained in the top flight of English football to this day – much to the dismay of those who remain in our everlasting shadow.

Our overall Division 1 record was incredibly close with United coming out on top by 2 games out of 126 played with a record of W50 L48 D 28.

The Premier League was formed in 1992/3 and there have been many classic encounters between the two teams but for a variety of reasons that have been (repeatedly) debated over the years we have invariably come out second best. United have dominated the Premier League winning 13 championships and only finishing outside of the top 3 on 1 occasion in 22 seasons.

Like most clubs we have a poor PL record against United with a record of W11 L21 D13 we have an awful record at Old Trafford with a record of W3 L14 D5 our home record is more positive at W8 L7 D8.

Here is our complete record.

Although I have not researched other teams records against United our overall record may well be the best with only a 13 game difference in 212 total games played over our 121 year history.

Finally let’s take a look at our FA Cup record, but first here are brief reports on some of the more memorable clashes –

Manchester United 2-0 Arsenal 2011 FA Cup – Quarter-Final

Neither side came into this clash high on confidence with Sir Alex Ferguson’s Manchester United having lost their previous two matches against Chelsea and Liverpool, while Arsene Wenger’s Arsenal had recently lost a League Cup final to Birmingham and been dumped out of the Champions League by Barcelona. Despite Ferguson naming an extraordinarily defensive side on paper, with seven defenders and Darron Gibson accompanying Wayne Rooney and Javier Hernandez, it was United who ran out 2-0 winners. Fabio da Silva opened the scoring and Rooney sealed it with a second soon after the break. The joy was short-lived however as United were beaten by rivals Manchester City in their Wembley semi-final.

Arsenal 0-0 (5-4 pens) Manchester United 2005 FA Cup – Final

History was made in Cardiff when the FA Cup final was decided on penalties for the first time with Arsenal beating Manchester United 5-4 on spot-kicks after a goalless draw. United had enjoyed by far the better of the game itself with Wayne Rooney and Ruud van Nistelrooy each hitting the woodwork and when Jose Antonio Reyes was sent off in the final moments of extra-time their dominance was confirmed in numbers as well as chances. But the Gunners showed extraordinary resilience and were blemish-free from 12 yards, while Paul Scholes saw his penalty saved by Jens Lehmann. The winning kick was taken by Captain Patrick Vieira in what was to prove his final game for the club.

Manchester United 1-0 Arsenal 2004 FA Cup – Semi-Final

Arsenal had won the FA Cup in each of the previous two seasons and the Invincibles were en route to going unbeaten throughout an entire Premier League season when the sides met at Villa Park in April 2004. However, it was Manchester United who progressed to the final against lower-league Millwall thanks to a 1-0 win. Edu and Patrick Vieira both hit the woodwork for the Gunners but with Thierry Henry omitted from the starting line-up and Ruud van Nistelrooy injured for the Red Devils, it was left to Paul Scholes to provide the incision, firing home from close range just after the half-hour mark. United held on to end Arsenal’s 18-game unbeaten run in the competition and claimed the trophy when they defeated Millwall 3-0 the following month.

Manchester United 2-1 Arsenal 1999 FA Cup – Semi Final

This famous FA Cup meeting between the two clubs had enough drama for five classics. David Beckham opened the scoring by curling into the far corner – the first goal Arsenal had conceded in over seven hours. But Dennis Bergkamp equalised midway through the second half with a great turn and shot and the Gunners could’ve gone ahead when Nicolas Anelka had a goal disallowed for offside. When Roy Keane was sent off shortly afterwards, Arsenal were in the ascendancy and looked set to win it when Phil Neville conceded a last-minute penalty by bringing down Ray Parlour. But Peter Schmeichel saved brilliantly from Bergkamp and when Patrick Vieira surrendered possession to substitute Ryan Giggs, the Welshman scored one of the great solo goals. “The luckiest team won” said Arsene Wenger

Manchester United 2-1 Arsenal 1983 FA Cup – Semi Final

The 1983 FA Cup semi-final was the second domestic cup competition in which the two teams had faced off that season, with Ron Atkinson’s United already 6-3 aggregate winners over two legs of the League Cup. England international Tony Woodcock gave the Gunners the lead at Villa Park but Bryan Robson came up with an equaliser just before half-time. A 17-year-old Norman Whiteside was the hero for United when he thumped in the winner. “It was a great moment,” Robson told the official Manchester United website recently. “To have won the semi-final and be on the way to Wembley was fantastic.” It was to get better for Atkinson’s team when they beat Brighton at the second attempt to lift the trophy with both Robson and Whiteside among the scorers.

Arsenal 3-2 Manchester United 1979 FA Cup – Final

The old cliché about never being more vulnerable than when you’ve scored a goal ought to have been written for this game as Alan Sunderland ensured United’s comeback counted for nothing. The Gunners had gone ahead through Brian Talbot before Frank Stapleton doubled the lead just before half-time with Liam Brady once again the architect. But Gordon McQueen pulled one back from a set-piece with just five minutes remaining and a late equaliser by Sammy McIlroy, wriggling free from his markers, seemed to complete the comeback. However, just as the momentum seemed to be with Dave Sexton’s side, Sunderland popped up at the far post to turn in Graham Rix’s cross and win it for Arsenal. No wonder it was dubbed the ‘Five Minute Final’.

Our FA Cup record against United is very close with the exception of games played at Old Trafford where we have a record of W2 L4 D0. Our complete record is-

I acknowledge that stats don’t count for anything on game day but they show that it takes a brave person to be confident of a win at Old Trafford – the writer is one of the brave but I once read that a coward dies a thousand deaths while a brave man only dies once, oh boy – am I prepared to die for the cause……………??

GunnerN5

186 Responses to The FA Cup history of Arsenal vs Manchester United

Fantastically well researched post GN5, thank you.

I wish we’d managed to beat United even once over the past couple of years as they really are a poor team, but we haven’t. How much that will play on our team’s minds I don’t know. It’s a cup game, we should beat them ………….. let’s see if we can.

It’s unnerving how excited I am about this game.

Wow, great read GN5

I think the message is clear. Let’s dwell on the 1979 and 2005 encounters 🙂

Two things in our favour today. We have won in Manchester already this season, and then we outplayed Utd at home, so need to right a wrong.

Tragically, I will miss the game as I will be bogged down in a restaurant, but my phone will be fully charged, and visits to the gents frequent.

As for team selection, I reckon there’s only one slot up for grabs, and the contenders are Mozart, Ox, Theo and Danny.

Thanks Peaches & Micky.

I always look forward to the games against United, they are always intense and rarely finish without a controversy – most of the time we are on the wrong end of sceptical decisions.

In our last 15 Pl games we have won 76% of our points while United have only won 69% so we are the “in form” team – but form doesn’t seem to matter at Old Trafford.

I just hope that at the end of the day that lady luck was on our side – I would be happy with a return game at the Emirates but would love them to win for our friend Kelsey…………

Amazing research as usual, thank you GN5.

So manu just have the edge over us in these clashes. We should have beaten them at the Ems earlier this season, I hope we take to the pitch this evening confident that we are the better team but cautious not to go for all out attack and fall for the sucker punch on the counter.

This Arsenal seems to grow through the course of games. If we can soak up early pressure and slowly take control of the game, we should win tonight …. here’s hoping!

A question for everyone …. if we could only win one of this fixture or the upcoming league game – which would you choose?

7. stevepalmer1 says:

Now that is a post and a half, Nice one GN5, boy that was an eye opener and i must commend you on the swatting.

Posts like this one, comes from a man who really cares about his club. Many like me can talk about what has happened in the past, we criticise and we dig out certain players, On paper we have a squad that should be able to give any club in the world a good run for their money. But just lately the blend of players seem like they are having trouble gelling.

Arsenal are no strangers when it comes to buying new players, even in the days of deep pockets and short arms we still brought in new men. Many of these new men i have to say i had never heard of, and i’m sure even the devoted supporter of world football has to admit to not knowing some of them.

Wenger has never been afraid to go to the bargain basement, But in fairness to him he has picked quite a few decent player’s of course with that we have had our share of complete rubbish as well, but of course as we all know some players do not travel well.

Today’s footballer looks around the world, he looks at the top leagues and many starting out, must look at the top clubs in the world and know who is the top Managers, but more than that who pays the most.

We have in the past been guzzumped by clubs who offer more, if i was a good enough player for clubs to bid on, who would i go for, and i have to own up it would be a club who look like they have the players to win things, of course the personal terms would be at the top of my list as most people want the biggest shilling.

Arsenal now pay a good shilling and they also have a well known Manager. A club with history goes a long way but appearing with other top players can only make you look good.

GN5 can probably give me a few years so he probably remembers more than me, but the one thing that sticks out for me is the losses at the hands of United. Yes the records can show that the wins losses and draws are still fairly close overall but now today and present day i am still not confident of us winning against them. in fact over the last few years i haven’t felt confident against any of present day top teams, even our shadow down the road seem to be better than us, and that certainly is a no no.

We need to get some consistency a run of games where whoever comes along will have to work to beat us , Maurine reckons tactics will overcome us while Van G feels that recent history will do it Pelegrini must be the only Manager running a top club who doesn’t relish meetings with us, We need to start inflicting some of the same on the rest of them hopefully today will be a big part of starting that. There i go again rambling on.

Rasp,

There can be no doubt in my mind that winning this game is far more important. We can lose to WHU and still finish in the top 4 but losing today would only add to our distaste of MU and may jeopardize a top 4 finish.

GN5

I reckon Rasp meant tonight’s game or the league fixture with Utd, which makes the question trickier.

Right now, I’d go for the win tonight, as like GN5 said, we could still make top two 🙂

11. I’m a knot ear today so can’t do N5’s fine post justice, but my chum @SirAHussain is going to the game and has offered up a match report.

The hitch is it may not be ready till tomorrow noon so the question is are the blog guv’nors ok to wait till possibly early afternoon tomorrow for a report or is the Rasper going to slide in with a cheeky early match report/rant as before ?

I think you are right Micky – maybe I got up so early today (4:30am) that I left my brain in bed?

That really makes it a lot tougher as I want to really show them who’s boss by winning both games but I love the excitement of the FA Cup – especially playing at Wembley – so I’ll opt for today’s game.

13. “History is more or less bunk. It’s tradition. We don’t want tradition. We want to live in the present and the only history that is worth a tinker’s dam is the history we make today.”

Henry Ford in an interview with The Chicago Tribune, May 25th, 1916

‘morning all, I in no way wish to belittle GN5’s fine work in researching the history of Arsenal versus Manchester United in the FA Cup and producing such a good post.

Past results are past! They should have no bearing on the outcome of this evening’s match. Perhaps in the minds of some of the players there is a tiny residual doubt, but they just have to put that doubt aside and go out and make their own history.

Could there be a better time to face United? Their confidence is low, they are struggling to come to terms with a new playing style, their prize striker is injured, their new signings are taking a long time to settle in, Evans the Spit is suspended and long gone are the violent Neville brothers and the ever hated Scholes. In fact United are a mere shadow of the teams we have faced in the past.

From an Arsenal point of view, we don’t have the immediate prospect of the Champions League return leg, we are on a good run of form, we have the majority of our squad fit and have, mostly, learnt to be a bit more disciplined in defence, and what’s more we are the FA Cup Holders!

C’mon Arsenal, make history!

Big deal of the day for me will be the contents of The Ant ‘n Duck picnic hamper

Yes thanks Micky, I meant would we rather beat them in the FA cup of the EPL game at old toilet?

16. Rasp, let’s make a start with tonight’s game, that will put a doubt in their minds for the next.

I agree NG.

A lot is being made of the fact that it is Steven Gerrard’s birthday on cup final day and what a fitting end to his career it would be to lift the cup ….. he can’t even get in the pool side these days (I know he’s currently injured) …. but even so, I wouldn’t want to play pool in the final.

NG.

Every opposition player knows the distinct advantage that Man U have over every other club when they play at home. That advantage includes history, home support, opposition’s nerves, and game official’s. It’s a rare event for any team to win there and we are no exception – the players know these facts and it undoubtedly plays on their minds.

We are the better team on form …………..but.

Let’s start a conspiracy rumour – the FA want a Man U v Liverpool final.

Yes, but we won the league there 😛 thank Dennis for Wiltord

Now that was a team Rasp……I can still see that goal in my minds eye.

Are Chas and Ant on the Road?

I assume that Northbank is on his knees somewhere searching for a connection?

England limp out of the cricket …. pathetic display …. where are our cojones?

25. So that’s no takers for a match report tomorrow then ?

Sorry chary, I missed your comment …. yes. we’d love a match report for tomorrow … puuurrllleeeaaassseee 🙂

Steve,

I truly believe that AW is right in saying that confidence plays a huge part in the ability of teams to have a consistent string of victories our Invincible team gave us a perfect example of that.

I`m like a cat on a hot tin roof today I just cant wait for the next 8 or so hours to pass. I feel a win for us is on the cards but then again I always have positive thoughts about the Gunners.

It would be wonderful if we could really assert our superiority and give them a good thumping.

Excellent and thorough as always, GN5.

I think I would have included this little victory in the 5th round of the 2002/03 FA Cup. 🙂
    Largely because it was at OT and we actually won. This was en route to winning the Final against Southampton 1-0 in Cardiff. I’d take another spawny deflection off the wall.

Can anyone remember who we played in the 6th round afterwards and what the score was, without looking it up? It came as a surprise to me.

29. Rasp, that must rank as the worst World Cup campaign ever by an England team. Football excluded of course. 😀

I agree again NG. How have we got here after the future looked so rosy after the 2010/11 ashes win in Australia – and it has gone steadily down hill since then.

Maybe a complete shake up in the team and the ECB is called for?

By the way, no Ant n Duck today. Ant is driving.

The train may have been possible if the BBC hadn’t put the game on a feckin Monday night.

The hamper contains foie gras, beluga caviar, smoked salmon and rocket canapés and some Piper Heidsieck. 🙂

Brilliant stuff GN5

I reckon we will beat them. They are the ones under pressure, not us.

I dont like Man Utd GN5. Lots of short haired men with high body mass index thinking its clever by responding to a question with “next”.

Dont know what they got to be so arrogant about? If my BMI was higher than my IQ I would be asking questions. Probably, “Whens dinner time?”

They got lucky at the Grove. We missed our chances and they hit us with a fluke and then a sucker punch. It wont be the case this time. We will give them the run around and probably thrash them 1-0.

The Ghosts of The Thirties are Stirring

You are the man Terry –

“In Terry I Trust”

34. Rasp, it’s central contracts that have caused the decline. Scrap them and send the players back to their Counties. Let them learn again how to play proper cricket in four day games. Pick the best performing players, for representative matches and no more captains appointed on the “Buggin’s turn” principal.

I was struck by one recent comment from our current captain, “We don’t listen to criticsm” Priceless!

Terry, all we need now is Crystal to tell us who is going to score the goal!

36. Lovely stuff GN5

But too many numbers for my limited brain function. What it boils down to is that we have been fairly even with results against United over the last 100 or so years. But over more recent years it hasn’t been good for the good guys…. last win at OT was in 2006/07. So perhaps it’s time for us to put it straight and get a win there.

I may not be able to watch the game tonight because of my internet connection problems… may not even be able to get behind the sofa with other AA’s to have a bit of banter, but I will be there in spirit. 🙂 COYG’s

37. @ Raspers 11.47 – I know my comments don’t get noticed much nowadays, maybe I should put in more references to “surfing” or “mods” etc. 🙂

I can put up the report as soon as I get it, although it may not be till s bit later tomorrow morning as the guy going to the game won’t get back till the early hours. Hope that’s ok.

Today’s referee is Craig Pawson in 18 games this season he has produced 6 red cards.

I’ll look for his record against Arsenal.

That’s fine, thanks chary. Maybe its the lack of a rack of the day that is causing the decline 🙂

In truth, I can say that we are going through a bad patch at the moment because by pure happenstance, many of the regulars have personal issues that are keeping them away from blogging at this particular time.

40. The Cockie Monster says:

Excellent GN5 !.

Even though past results should not have a bearing on this cup game, I feel that our mental block against the “Big 3″ ( Chavs , Manshafter and Mansour City ) will lead to the usual disappointment.
    Put is this way and honestly, how many will be more surprised if we win tonight than if we lose ?. I for one will be pleasantly shocked !.
    My getting behind the Sofa is different to `69ers version as mine is a total media lockdown apart from the porno`s to help me toss myself into a coma ( wankoma is the proper medical term ! ) like state for two hours and to be then awakened by my wife`s fist with a burst of ether….” wake up you filthy perv, you can watch the game, you`ve won “….or….” wake up you filthy perv, I`ve dialled The Samaritans for you !.

Just wondering !……..`69er has an art site called…ARTS “N” ALL !……knowing his like of “buns” and pints….. does chas have a site called…..ARSE “N” ALE !.

42. The Cockie Monster says:

The Lucky Zip ( which will obviously become the unlucky zip if we get knocked out ! )

44. wally says:

Rasp,

i’ll take tonites game. I think it’s massive for both sides. We need it to keep pushing forward. To win where we haven’t for 9 long years is worth something, worth a lot to this side i believe.
    manure need it to restore their own self-belief. They’ve been crap lately and they know it. We need to make them pay the price. In addition, their next string of games is very tough. Losing to us has the ability to affect their performance against them. Could knock them out of the 3/4 competition.
    Winning tonite has the potential to make the May game meaningless.
    We can kill two birds with one stone tonight.
    I’m hopeful but not optimistic.

Wally – I`m optimistically hopeful…………..

46. stevepalmer1 says:

With revelations of video of Sanchez giving his girlfriend one while his mates record the encounter has me wondering if Wenger may rest him for this one.

Usually something comes out prior to a United clash. It appears our little Chilean likes to share his conquests with others, I would imagine that his sessions would last a fair while as his stamina seems very good.

She must be a new one on the block as he has been a bit iffy of late, usually a scandal is followed by an injury in training.

Word has it a a 19 year old is training with the team where he plays it didn’t say, so maybe just a try out. AOC looked sharp in training a good one to start if Sanchez has knob rot

Chas

That’s a left over Mother’s Day Hamper.

Go for the more manly Burger King option, but remember, on top of the Big Bloke Meal, order a Kiddies Meal as well, as you get a little toy, a hat, and some crayons for the journey

I’ve seen grown up men in replica shirts, but never anybody in an Arsene anorak. Wow. Loads of mates for sure.

49. chas mobile says:

Thanks for the kiddiesmeal tip, I’m enjoying the crayons.

Is Crystals up to giving us the goalscorer GN5?

I cant get nothing from my balls. There so rough they look as though a drunk pre op Transsexual laid a bit of laminated flooring

We need Crystals balls

I’ve just done some research 🙂

This is the team that beat City away:

Osp, Mon, Mert, Kos, Bell, Coq, Ramsey, Santi, Ox, Sanchez, Ollie.
    Bench: Sz, Moz,Chamb, Ozil, Theo, Gibbs, Flam.

In other words, lightweights like Mesut and Theo were on the bench.

Chas

Last time I went to Burger King a couple of weeks ago, I got the elephant riding the bike to colour in. Fecking hard it was.

53. Shubham says:

I will stay awake to see the lads do ManU…..Blistering barnacles & Thundering typhoons. COYG!!

Terry I really don’t believe that Crystals is up to responding but I was hoping I could tempt him out…….

He really does need some peace and quiet away from a noisy gang like us.

55. The Cockie Monster says:

Piers Morgan tweeted earlier……………………

“God, if Arsenal lose later… I will take myself to the electric chair AND turn it on.”

Mmmmm……just wondering whether we have enough Power Stations to generate that amount of electricity ?………big ego, big head and fat bastard all rolled into one, it`s going to take a lot power !…….. may have to plug into France !.

Although on this occasion…….and I`ve wrestled with this ….. I hope he has a stay of execution !……tough call though !.

Ant, you show buy yourself a car – that looks like it’s a real struggle.

Cockie
    Pretty big silver lining though

58. arnie says:

brilliant stuff, GN5. what can one say! absolutely marvelous. 🙂

I am a bit down, for various reasons, and like Micky will miss the game as well. phone is fully charged.

COYG. 🙂

59. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all, reading some of the news on Newsnow, and some of them are saying Wellbeck on the wing others saying an ideal game for Theo, I have to say that i do believe we need a good winger to win this one, someone to get behind their defence and fire some corkers across their box for anybody or every body to get on the end of, My choice for this game although i know Welbs would love to play and Theo also likes high profile matches, I wouldnt put any of them in front of The Ox, The Ox will run at them take them on and have a rough and tumble he also has fired a few beauties across where he loopks and picks his cross. Personally i don’t think he is used enough, whether Wenger worries about his age or not i don’t know but Ox will take a shot from almost anywhere and does his bit in defence. Welbs i feel will feel uptight for this one, i feel he wants to show what they are missing. i feel not a game to start him.

Theo of course can score a goal any time, he can be dormant for most of the game and them whip in and finish off. All well and good but for this game we need no passengers every player needs to be ready to put in 100% effort and a bit more Theo will i feel not be capable.

Of course The ox wears out round about the change time Maybe if the game is won by then Theo could come on and do his solo effort, other than that guys who give their best for the full 90.

Ok, enjoy the magnificent win all.

Here’s bad timing. Set off now. 90 min drive. 7:45 Eat for 90 mins plus extra time. Set off home. Total and utter shitballs.

COYMG

TEAM NEWS: Welbeck starts at United

Arsène Wenger has made five changes to the side that beat Queens Park Rangers 2-1 on Wednesday.

Wojciech Szczesny replaces David Ospina in goal while Laurent Koscielny and Nacho Monreal come in for Gabriel and Kieran Gibbs.

Elsewhere, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain returns to the starting lineup at the expense of Tomas Rosicky while Danny Welbeck starts ahead of Olivier Giroud.

Full team: Szczesny, Bellerin, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal, Coquelin, Cazorla, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ozil, Alexis, Welbeck

Subs: Martinez, Gibbs, Chambers, Ramsey, Giroud, Walcott, Akpom

Copyright 2015 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to http://www.arsenal.com as the source

62. Team

Szczesny, Hector, Per, Kos, Monreal, Coq, Santi, Mesut, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Alexis, Welbz

63. Oops I was a bit slow there 😉

Thats a cracking article GN5, ands inspired decision by Arsene to put Welly up front tonight, point to prove?

Let’s hope he carries the role better than Ollie did against Monaco in similar circumstances.

Glad to see Nacho return at left back, talking to my Dad earlier we both agreed Gibbs and Bellerin could be suicidal.

That said my view is that we have to play in the third of the field where we are better than them, which means we have to get on the front foot, but that obviously exposes us at the back to the threat of their strongest players, and we all know by now they will be prepared to bypass the midfield to get the ball up there. Sit back and we are doomed, attack and we give ourselves best opportunity to process but equally open ourselves up to their counter attacks, it’ll be no different at the Emirates so we may as well go all out tonight.

65. Come on boys, everything crossed

67. Ho ho ho what a goal 🙂

Lovely finish by Nacho, bugger!!!

Hmmm we need to do something about Di Maria.

70. fatgingergooner says:

It’s no wonder Özil is called lazy when the commentators expect him to dictating play from one box to another for the full 90 minutes!

He’s a link between midfield and attack. Nothing more. His job is to assist or give the pass before the assist and he’s done that tonight, yet commentary would make you think he’s been dreadful.

Good half from the lads but need to get Cazorla and Ox on the ball a bit more. Always look dangerous when we are attacking.

If we are in the draw for the semis I will be happy with that.

71. fatgingergooner says:

GiE,

Agreed. Too easy for Fellaini to pull on to Bellerin with Di Maria allowed inside all the time. That diagonal ball is dangerous. Cazorla needs to help Monreal and force Di Maria out wide.

Penalty denied to us again – video replays a must!!!!

73. fatgingergooner says:

Walcott v Rojo and Ox v Blind/Carrick after about an hour would be nice.

Great Post GN5, sorry not to have been around.

They are closing us down when we are in possession, but we are standing off them – not good.

75. fatgingergooner says:

Sorry,

That injury is my fault. I just assumed he’s last an hour!

That idiot Shearer says there was not ‘enough’ contact to give the pen for Welbeck — the same man who said it does not matter about the contact – it is the intention that matters, and the player has the ‘right’ to go down – unless it is Arsenal – obviously.

Prat!!

Thanks for a marvelous pre match gn5. Not to sure about ramsey for the injured ox and ozil to the flanks. We lose pace.

78. fatgingergooner says:

These are there to be opened up if we can just pass a bit better

79. fatgingergooner says:

As are we!

What the fuck is Mertesacker doing on the touch line at the halfway line???? Great goal by Danny :))

81. fatgingergooner says:

Yes Danny! Pure pace

Da Da Da Da Danny Welbeck! and celebrates….good lad!

83. fatgingergooner says:

Good refereeing

Here comes the diving and whingeing, come on Michael Oliver hold strong

Good decision Arsene

86. fatgingergooner says:

Well done Wenger. More height too

Di Maria is a grade A diver, he should have been carded for simulation by now

Mertesacker way too high up the pitch again

At last Di Maria found out , Di = diver

Hehehehehe

Do not throw this away! Keep our cool now, they will try everything they learned under Fergie, need to get the ball and keep it

Wow

Diving cheats, well done ref

5 minutes FFS – Fergie time for Van Gaal

95. He he 🙂

I kinda hope kelsey didn’t watch it cos it was horrendous for the blood pressure but I hope he knows the score.

96. ha ha ha… got onto the internet for thr last five minutes. Well done Welbz… we are going to Wembley. COYG’s

97. fatgingergooner says:

Ooooooh, that’s gotta hurt! Danny Welbeck, what a guy!!!!

F*cking outstanding result and deserved to win it. All they do is lump it up to Fellaini. They are poor.

Monreal over Gibbs in the big games for me. Don’t care that he scored, he was excellent defensively and goes forward at the right times, not all the time!

Coquelin and the CB’s were top class.

Red MOTM followed closely by Coquelin.

The red was outstanding and got almost all decisions correct.

98. fatgingergooner says:

*ref motm

Amazing when you think how much money they have spent that they play like that FGG

Shite Bradford/Reading

101. Footballing gods smiling tonight …….. 🙂

102. fatgingergooner says:

Get in Dermot!

Reading or Bradford, I’ll take that all day!

103. Bradford ot Reading in the Semi

Lovely jubbly

105. arnie says:

Ha ha ha ha

Great piece of work today Gn5 – when I finished reading it my conclusion was “it’s our turn” 🙂

107. fatgingergooner says:

GiE,

Shocking really. In fairness Di Maria was their best player, but how much did Rojo, Shaw, Herrera, Blind etc cost? Playing Valencia at RB and Young at LB for large parts of that game. Fellaini playing off Rooney when you’ve got Mata on the side! Moyes would’ve been shot for that!

108. Lovely stuff………. Bradford or Reading in the Semi. We can retain the FA Cup.COYG’s

Bradford – what could possibly go wrong?

Precisely Rocky, even Reading gave is a bit of ascare in the league cup.

Now Theo, protecting him, or no place in the current side.

111. fatgingergooner says:

GiE,

I would say not being rushed after a long time out, but Ox is probably now out for a few weeks so nows the time for Theo.

Fantastic result and what a brave referee.

My son bought a box of wine today and the damn thing sprang a leak so we had to take turns laying underneath it top make sure none was wasted——- very distracting……….. but we never missed a drop……….

So happy to see RA and Rocky back.

What an incredible performance by the team and I’m so pleased for AW as he really does deserve to rub their noses in the Old Trafford dirt……………

I wish that we could get a shot of Red Noses reaction at the end……..it really would be priceless…..

114. chas mobile says:

115. fatgingergooner says:

2 wins out of 2 in Manchester this season! Things are looking up against the ‘big teams’.

Chas – I hope you guy`s are not intending to drive home.

We deserved that victory. Despite possession stats their keeper had to pull off more top saves than Scz did.

118. chas mobile says:

Ant’s only had half a dozen . 🙂

119. stevepalmer1 says:

A good nights work from the lads, plenty of of blood and guts, Le
    Coq gets another wack on the nose and also a MOTM award.

I was wrong about Danny, although he started a bit Jittery, did finally race to get a 50 50 with United’s best player De Gear and touch it passed him and then slide it in the back of the net.

The Ox, my tip to start , did just as i said he would drive at the defence and cause them trouble, i was also right that he wouldn’t see out the ninety. Sadly that wasn’t because of tired legs, a slight Hamstring pull will rule him out for the next month,

United struggled tonight after going one down to a really special goal finished off by Monreal, they hit back with a Ronkey Header that Czezesney never saw until it passed him.

It has to be said that first tackle Belerin made, the referee’s Hand was held up with a yellow early on, but seemed to miss Fellainy’s first five fouls before finally being shamed into issuing a card.

United did not have a good night, their diving dirty players was desperate for an Arsenal player to be sent off, and in the end got a player of their own sent off for simulation, only to argue and shove the ref. United are really struggling shit club, shit manager, and shit players. A team full of embarrassing divers and whiner’s it was only fitting for them to be knocked out in their own toilet.

FGG.

Soon to be 3 out of 3 when we doom Man U`s hopes for the 2016 CL as well as their FA Cup hopes………….

121. wally says:

Just back from the bar. Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great to hear all that manure whinging. Nothing finer. They really looked toothless in the second half didn’t they. And the longer it went on the louder the whinging got.

The wife is giving me the mal ochi (evil eye). She knows i’ve already had a few steaks (one in every bottle isn’t there?) for dinner.
    But the world is right tonite! 🙂

The ref started really badly, booking Hector for his first foul and ignoring countless Fellaini fouls including an elbow in the Coq’s nose.

Then he seemed to find his nerve, culminating with the red card.

A very satisfying performance and win tonight. I’m delighted for Arsene in particular.

Chas
    Presumably the Mancs were gracious in defeat and warmly applauded our lads off the pitch?

“Marouane Fellaini committed eight fouls, five more than any other player on the pitch and only three fewer than Arsenal” (OPTA)

And that’s not counting at least half a dozen other fouls, including an elbow to Coq’s nose and also lashing out with his foot at Coq’s while he (MF) was on the ground.

*half a dozen other fouls THAT WENT UNPUNISHED

126. fatgingergooner says:

I think it was Ashley Young who kicked out at Ramsey after being brought down on half way. He was very lucky he didn’t connect and Ramsey or the red didn’t notice because he was already on a yellow.

Januzaj is a joke for diving. 4 yellows in 1 and a half seasons for simulation!

127. chas mobile says:

Rocky
    There was none of them left in the ground by the time we left the pitch. 🙂

128. chas mobile says:

They did seem to be applauding Danny when he was subbed to be fair, though.

Chas – I imagine that that was your most satisfying away game.

130. chas mobile says:

He left cos you’re shit, he left cos you’re shi-i-it. Danny Welbeck, he leftcos you’re shit.

Chas
    Please tell me our support were singing “Danny Welbeck – he left cos your shit.”

Haha – thanks Chas – you put that up just as I was posting my question.

133. chas mobile says:

GN5
    A close second to 5-0 at the lane on Dec 23rd 1978. 🙂

134. Just heard from a jubilant sirahussain on the way down south from old toilet.

He thinks he’ll have the report ready by lunchtime tomorrow.

Hope you guys can hang on for it till then.

So the ManUre hoodoo is finally over.

And ole bacon face was the crowd to watch his empire crumble. Hahahaha.

Chas I`m so happy for you and Ant what wonderful memories you are creating. Also I`m a tad jealous………….

Chary – speaking only for myself – I`ll be happy to wait for Sir’s report.

137. fatgingergooner says:

How many motm performances has Coquelin put in since his return from Charlton? It’s unbelievable how well he’s playing and how quickly he’s become such an important player for us.

138. N5 – he’s got a 3 hour drive back home and says he’s knackered but he’ll have some report to file when he does.
    What a night to beat manu.

What’s happening
    Did we sign someone or what?

ha ha ha yesssss yessssss yessssssssssss

Nothing but moaning Mancs on the radio all the way home. Faaantaaastic

Great night for Ant ‘n Duck

Great night for us all, and can’t wait to watch it on Beeb Iplayer tomorrow

Till dawn my merry fellows 🙂

Ladies and Gents we should frame this match report.

……………………………………………………………………………………………..

By Henry Winter, Football Correspondent, at Old Trafford

9:45PM GMT 09 Mar 2015

Louis van Gaal’s reign as Manchester United manager came under its most brutal, unforgiving scrutiny as his defence unraveled, his summer signings disappointed or departed, and his last hope of silverware this season disappeared. The inquest will be long and painful. Only qualifying for the Champions League can rescue United’s season.

Arsenal had their first win at Old Trafford since 2006, deservedly so, as they defended better than United, they showed more precision and intelligence in their attacking movements and took their goals well through Nacho Monreal and Danny Welbeck. Wayne Rooney scored inbetween but it was Welbeck’s strike, exploiting more hapless defending from Antonio Valencia, that settled it. United’s hopes ebbed further when Angel di Maria was sent off for diving and then reacting to Michael Oliver’s decision by pulling the referee’s shirt.

The eyes were always going to be on Welbeck. Many United supporters saluted the Arsenal goalscorer when he left the field in the second half, signaling respect and doubtless some frustration at the sale of a home-grown talent, especially as Radamel Falcao has struggled here.

Even before the goals went in, and before Di Maria was dismissed, bringing further noise from the terraces, Old Trafford had been rocking for fixture redolent of so many memorable FA Cup moments, including the epic finale of Alan Sunderland sliding in to score at Wembley in 1979, Nigel Winterburn taunting Brian McClair in the fifth round in 1988, Ryan Giggs’ high-speed shimmy through Arsenal’s defence in the Villa Park semi-final of 1999 and Patrick Vieira’s last ever kick for Arsenal sealing the 2005 climax.

The usual niceties were ignored as usual. Marouane Fellaini went through midfield like a threshing machine, shredding Francis Coquelin as United started powerfully. Ashley Young began running at Hector Bellerin, troubling the young right-back, who was soon cautioned by Michael Oliver. Coquelin began moving across to help Bellerin out. Bellerin’s uncertainty was then exploited by Luke Shaw, gifting United the ball. United were playing with a quick tempo, hounding Arsenal’s back-line, especially Per Mertesacker. Rooney, leading the line of United’s 4-2-3-1 system, was quickly closing down Wojciech Szczesny.

Arsenal refused to be daunted. Their 9,000 fans gave them endless backing, giving Old Trafford such atmosphere. Wenger’s men were defending deep, letting United build from the back, and happy to allow Chris Smalling to have possession. There were echoes of Arsenal’s tactics across town at the Etihad on Jan 18, flooding midfield, Coquelin working over-time to protect the defence, and Santi Cazorla, scheming and tracking back on Daley Blind.

Cazorla was deeper here, alongside Coquelin, with Alexis Sanchez dribbling down the left, Mesut Ozil central and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain speeding down the right. The movement of Arsenal’s small, creative types was too slick at times for Blind and Ander Herrera.

In omitting Olivier Giroud, Wenger had gambled on Welbeck being inspired on his return to the club he played for and still supports. Wenger hoped Welbeck’s greater pace than Giroud would trouble Chris Smalling and Marcos Rojo, who covered well early on as Welbeck broke in. Welbeck was to punish United later on.

Arsenal’s nimble threat on the counter, and Antonio Valencia’s erratic positioning, brought the visitors rich reward after 25 minutes. Ozil picked out Oxlade-Chamberlain, who embarked on a magnificent slalom from right to left, beating Shaw, Smalling and Valencia.

With United drawn across, space opened up on the left for Arsenal. Oxlade-Chamberlain calmly slid the ball to the unmarked, untroubled Monreal, who took a touch and then curled the ball around the exposed David de Gea. As Wenger did a little jig, as if negotiating a maypole, the 9,000 away fans chanted “one-nil to the Arsenal”.

Up in the BBC studio, Roy Keane was delivering a withering verdict on the work of Daley Blind and Valencia, barking that “the lack of character and commitment shown is just woeful. The lads have just downed tools there”. He must have gone into meltdown at Valencia’s later aberration. Valencia’s travails provided another reason of why they are being so heavily linked with Southampton’s England right-back, Nathaniel Clyne.

At least, Valencia’s more assertive qualities were seen four minutes later, the Ecuadorian venturing down the right, pausing and letting Di Maria take over. The £59.9m Argentine’s form has been so pored over. His body language since his house was burgled has been so scrutinised, but he impressed until his response to Oliver’s decision to book him in the second half for diving.

He had already been drilling in balls, looking for Fellaini. Here he targeted the run of Rooney, flighting the ball perfectly to clear Laurent Koscielny. Rooney finished with a thunderous header that gave Szczesny no chance. Rooney slid across the turf, celebrating his 12th United goal of the season to add to his six for England this season.

Arsenal responded. They sensed the vulnerability in the hosts’ defence. Welbeck ran into the box, felt Rojo’s left hand gently on his shoulder, and felt to earth, appealing loudly for a penalty as the Stretford End signaled its disapproval. Oliver waved play on. The England striker then rose above Smalling, heading goalwards but denied by De Gea, who also clutched a Cazorla free-kick.

United hunted a second, a quickfire move ending with Di Maria shooting straight at Szczesny, who then held a Fellaini drive. Van Gaal was clearly unhappy with the way his team were defending, and removed Shaw at the break, moving Rojo to left-back and inserting Phil Jones at centre-half. Van Gaal attempted to rectify United’s lack of control in midfield by sending on Michael Carrick for Herrera, who had been booked, was failing to stifle with Cazorla’s darting runs from deep as well as providing insufficient protection for United’s defence.

Arsenal made a change when Oxlade-Chamberlain pulled a hamstring, bringing Aaron Ramsey on. The game swayed from end to end, Sanchez having a shot saved, Di Maria shooting wide and then United’s defence dissolving again. Again it was Valencia. He received a slightly awkward ball from the chest of Jones, but his reaction was madness, underhitting a back-pass. Welbeck had anticipated well, seizing the ball, rounding De Gea and stroking the ball home. There was no mercy to his former club with his celebrations either.

De Gea kept the score down with an astonishing save from Cazorla, before United screamed that Bellerin should have been dismissed for another foul on Young. Di Maria did depart, punished for simulation and then given a second yellow for grabbing Oliver’s shirt.

Oliver then issued another caution for diving, waving the card at Adnan Januzaj, who went down far too easily when chased by Monreal. Januzaj was incensed and risked following Di Maria down the tunnel. It was all over bar the crowing, with Arsenal fans taunting their hosts, especially over Welbeck. Arsenal are back at Wembley. United are back to Square One.

143. arnie says:

ha ha ha ha ha. cannot stop laughing my heart out. 🙂

Ahhhhh the sweet smell of the morning air after the night before. Well played all.

Coquelin really was heroic in the middle of the park as were Koz and BFG.

Santi is just amazing, Danny Murphy couldn’t hide his enjoyment of watching the little magician, he doesn’t care how many men are there he will receive the ball and remove them from the game.

A solid nights work and a well deserved win.

And a word for Monreals finish, whilst everyone raves about de Gea for me there is still one huge weakness and that is the way in which he closes a one on one with arms down by his side. Monreal took advantage as so many don’t by lifting the shot into the space where his arms should be, it is very much easier to get your hands down than up (basic gravitational science).

Incredible team selection.

Was driving as teams announced, and they were lining up to nail Arsene if we lost.

I would argue his boldest and most effective ever.

On the BBC Radio this morning their reporter said something along the lines of – it was not a good game – not like the ‘Giggs’ game of some years ago, as you will remember…….

The other presenter chimed in with — how could I forget? You have been banging on about it since last week — Arsenal won didn’t they? – I have two little boys who travelled back with their dad last night and will wake up with smiles on their faces this morning!

Silence from the other end.

Just shows that even radio presenters get fed up with the bias of their northern colleagues sometimes.

147. Finally broken the Old Trafford curse.. ha ha ha. We can now go on to get 12 FA cup wins compared to Uniteds 11. i think it deserves an early morning glass of wine. 🙂

Very true RA

I was out last night, and on the way home had an hour and a half of non stop Utd talk. Nothing about the Arsenal performance. Would have got cross had it not been so funny listening to all the Southern Reds moaning

Returned late last night after a wonderful weekend in Blighty. Why do you chaps complain about the weather?

What a result! Can’t wait to watch the game and read GN5’s pre-match.

Looking at the Welbz pic above, I thought who is the big bloke behind him? Oil has seriously bulked up – do you think it could be anabolic’s?

No, BR, just a realisation when he was injured that he had to toughen up to play in our more physical league.
    Also the puma shirts are much much tighter. 🙂

Full-time in Mumbai

Tunnel cam
    Bould to Keown 🙂

Tunnelcam was interesting

155. arnie says:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha warm glow

159. arnie says:

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

very happy days, only downsides: Kelsey is doing poorly and Eddie is absconding.

161. wally says:

I have to agree with mickey. When i saw giroux on the bench my first reaction was whoa that’s different.
    And then as i thot about it and the game unfolded you could see what the impact on manure’s defence was. They were never able to push up on the welbeck or anyone else. It created space for the midfield to drive at them and create opportunities. Not a knock on giroux but he would never in a million years have gotten on the end of valencia’s back pass. Speed kills. It was an inspired decision. Full credit!!
    And they were also able to effectively pressure the ball, hunt in packs, and win it back, especially deep in manure’s half.

We now have a plan B.

I also loved the balance in the team. Defended well enough, didn’t have a single oh fuck moment, well one. But i just keep feeling better and better.

I love all those videos. Keep ’em coming!

Arsenal Move Me – Like Nothing Else Can!!

Arsenal . . .

That’s the most beautiful sound I ever heard:
    Arsenal, Arsenal, Arsenal . . .

All the beautiful sounds of the world in a single word . .
    Arsenal, Arsenaaaaal Arsenal . . .

I’ve just seen a team named Arsenal,
    And suddenly that name
    Will never be the same
    To me.
    Arsenal!

I’ve just seen a team named Arsenal,
    And suddenly I’ve found
    How wonderful a sound
    Can be!
    Arsenal!

Say it loud and there’s music playing,
    Say it soft and it’s almost like praying.

Arsenal,
    I’ll never stop saying The Arsenal!

The most beautiful sound I have ever heard.
    Arsenal.

163. ‘morning all, a bright sunny morning in Norfolk made even brighter by last night’s result.

But not just the result, this was no spawny last minute smash-and-grab, this was a really good all round performance by a team that looks as though it has consigned “history” to the dustbin.

Good as the result and performance was, it has to be said that United were a shabby, disjointed apology for a team. Bereft of ideas, confidence and showing passion only when it came to disputing the referee’s decisions. Michael Oliver has to be congratulated for the calm way he dealt with the constant ear-bashing he got from Rooney and his team-mates. I’ll even forgive him his one error, not awarding Arsenal a penalty when Welbeck was pulled down in the box, otherwise a good day at the office for him.

The FA Cup can be put on the back-burner for now, with West Ham, at home and Monaco away on the horizon.

164. Brilliant RA, or should I call you Tony? 😀

Jamie Walden ‏@jamiecaffeine 54m
    Comment of the day on the guardian sports blog

wally …. “Not a knock on Giroud, but he would never in a million years have gotten on the end of valencia’s back pass.” …. how true, the choice of Welby up front was crucial to our game plan

Top marks to AW for his team selection and for subbing Bellerin before he picked up a second yellow (probably courtesy of another dive)

169. Good day. This is my first comment here but I’ve been enjoying this page for some time now. Keep up the good work!

First and by the way. There seems to be something wrong in the ambitious statistics in the post considering the CL games. 2 away games and none at home. And then 1 game in the total column? Am I getting this wrong or what? Since GunnerN5 did such a heoic job I thought I wanted to help. (I am a writer and have an eye for detail.)

Secondly but equally important! I notice from the tunnel cam above that Ox is doing some stretching of his hamstring before the game and at halftime! Its not like he is getting professional help but seems to be doing this by his own and not in a thourogh manner. Proof of something? I mean, he had a good game but now he is injured, and its not a coincidence. When Theo is stuck on the bench I think its interesting – and of course considering our dreadful history of players being injured…

Markus of Sweden (close to Ljungbergs hometown)

Lehmann,

I was aware of the error (after I had submitted the article) but well done for spotting it………..

Wally @ 10:30 “I have to agree with mickey”

Superb opening my friend. Can’t be topped.

Great comment until this ending slightly lets you down when you talk of Danny as CF: “We now have a plan B”
    So close to a world class comment. Problem: Danny is PLAN A 🙂

This site can be confusing, as apart from GoonerB, they are pretty much all fans of the big ‘un, back to goal, long ball, win at any cost style merchants. Splendid fellows, but thin on style 🙂

Hi Lehmann, welcome to AA

Your observation about The Ox is very astute.

We’ve often debated the reasons why Arsenal get so many injuries(soft tissue injuries in particular), it has to be more than just bad luck. I have long suspected that the answer in part must lie in our training techniques.

I’m sad to say that I recently heard proof that this is in fact the case. I can’t reveal who or where, but people who have worked at the top at Arsenal on the fitness and conditioning side have said that the club’s training techniques (use of rest days, gym work, light/heavy training) are the reason – and backed it up with statistical data and referenced other models used at clubs like Chelsea and Liverpool.

Welcome Lehmann

Swedish hey? With your knack for detail, I bet you pull loads of birds. Probably write a Swedish sex book of your exploits? Send it to me and I will proof read it for you.

Yeah, I noticed that about Ox. He was defiantly feeling it before the game

174. Thanks TMHT, I keep it in mind! As you correctly point out, swedes are all about sex!
    Rasp, this is annoying! There is something rotten in the feedback/evaluation part of the club. Maybe we would do better with a swedish bureaucrat, or however you spell it, clearing it up.

Annoying.