Turn Turn Turn

“To everything –  Turn, Turn Turn,

There is a season – Turn Turn, Turn

And a time for every purpose under heaven.

A time to build up, A time to break down,

A time to dance, a time to mourn,

A time to cast away stones

A time to gather stones together.”

Book of Ecclesiastes (with a re-write by Pete Seeger)

know what you are thinking – “what the hell has that got to do with Everton at home?”  Not much but I have had it in mind since Black Wednesday and of course, today is the first day of Spring – a time of growth and the rising of sap.

Will our sap rise today? Who knows? This season has been like few others insomuch as the team is so unpredictable, and not just game to game but within a game. Last Sunday we were two up and coasting then had 10 minutes of complete panic, and it has happened repeatedly over the season. Why?

“Leadership” I hear you say. Do we miss Arteta so much, is BFG lacking,? More to the point – how do we get one?

Can we beat Everton this afternoon and get back to winning ways?

Everton have stuttered badly this season and the golden boy Roberto Martinez has started to lose his lustre.

Here’s a brilliant stat – last season Everton won more games between March 1st and April 12th than they have won this entire season!   The massive expenditure on Lukaku has yet to bring full returns though 5 goals in his last 3 games is worrying. I wanted us to sign Eto’o who is one of my favourite players but Mr Wenger proved once again that he “knows best”.

As usual midfield will hold the key. Aaron Lemon is likely to be dropped for the return of the potent Mirallas. In Gibson, McCarthy and Barry Everton have battlers, they also have one of my most hated players, Stephen Naismith.

I could write a whole post on the little blond aggressor. Like Leeds’ Alan Smith and the awful Robbie Savage, Naismith kicks the player before the ball as a matter of course, hiding a lack of talent behind naked aggression. How he stayed on the pitch in our 1-1 draw at Goodison is known only to the referee Michael Oliver who was awful that day.

I like the John Stones and can only think Mr Wenger wouldn’t spend the transfer fee preferring to buy Gabriel for half the price. Baines is fit, as is Coleman.

Arsenal: I would start the same team as Wednesday to allow them to prove their worth but Mr Wenger will ring the changes. Expect to see Monreal start and possibly Gabriel for BFG  or Koscielny. And it is time to take TPIG off the naughty step – in my opinion he is our best GK.

My Team:

Szczesny

Bellerin      Gabriel    Koscielny       Monreal

Coquelin     Cazorla

Alexis     Ozil

Walcott    Giroud

Unlike some, I like Santi playing deeper alongside Le Coq and until Ramsey, Arteta or Wilshere return it is a position he may well keep. (unless Rosicky takes that place!)

We have a strong bench with good coverage for any eventuality.

My main concern today lies within The Emirates crowd – the poisonous atmosphere which is created by a bias-led media is so close to the surface. If Arsenal are not at their fluent best and dominating from kick-off the disquiet will strengthen and the very chaps who booed our lads off the pitch will start complaining early. I hate it. Moan on the blogs, beat the dog, kick the cat, berate taxi drivers, do whatever you have to do but during the game SUPPORT your team.

What happens when the crowd groans at a misplaced pass which is made in the blink of the eye- a possibly defence splitting pass which carries risk? The player will take the secure option which is usually a short sideways or backwards pass. If we want to see a fast, intricate and beautiful display of passing football our players have to feel confident and supported – take that away and we become Stoke.

Live Long and Prosper

COYRRG

written by Big Raddy

133 Responses to Turn Turn Turn

1. Ant says:

BR is our hero..and you can be sure that we will be supporting and not complaining at the ground…that is if we can actually see the game through our beer goggles.

2. Ant says:

Really obnoxious.

3. chas mobile says:

4. Ant says:

Just call me Emmanuel Kant!

A top notch what not from Super, Super Radeee. 🙂

With the resources we currently have, I agree that it is fine for Cazzor to play alongside Le Coq, however, I do not think Le Coq is quite good enough for a ‘wannabe’ top club like Arsenal.

And playing Cazzor with him is yet another ‘make do and mend’ solution and while we always have this strategy as a club we will face continual disappointment each season.

That is not an issue for today – get behind the boys, aka Ant and Duck, oh, and of course, the boys in the team. 🙂

Hi Ant – enjoy your day.

6. chas mobile says:

Cheers, BR. Much appreciated.
    MWG today, unless we don’t of course.
    The Toffees are up after shafting The Young Boys. Need to score early and then one every ten minutes thereafter. Either that or just score more goals than them. 🙂

RA. I completely agree about Le Coq. He is a valuable squad member – nothing more.

chas. A little 8-0 would lighten the atmosphere 🙂

8. ‘morning all,

Thank you BR another fine pre-match.

Turn turn turn eh? Well let’s hope the team of passive pussies that turned out on Wednesday can turn into a team of ravening tigers this afternoon.

We need a win today and another at QPR on Wednesday to set the team up for the FA Cup trip to Old Toilet that follows.

Will the stubborn Mr. Wenger make that many changes? Will he drop Ozil and Mertesacker? Neither covered themselves in glory against Monaco, but then who did?

As to the crowd, I hope they don’t get on the teams backs, but equally the team need to give the crowd something to cheer..

Lukaku seems set to start, so the more mobile Gabriel could win out over Merts.

C’mon The Glorious Gunners!!

9. Ant says:

BR – did you see Hearts won 10-0 yesterday? I’d be happy with 1-0

10. Ant says:

Has anyone been to Corby?

Ant, —- 😀

I had a girlfriend who came from Corby.

She was gorgeous – Corby was a dump. [Sorry, Corbysieres] 🙂

13. Ant, I’ve been close enough to see signposts for it, so it probably does exist. 😀

Never saw any reason to go to Corby but my father had a Corby Trouser Press.

Where is it?

15. Ant says:

The guy in the middle isn’t very happy.

16. chas mobile says:

17. Ant says:

The trouser press is in most hotel rooms..Corby is North of Watford so won’t register on an Arsenal blog.

Corby is in the middle of no where – in Notts.

My girlfriend had a Scottish surname – nothing unusual, but every second person I met was either called Mac.., or Mc….., or Stuart, or Angus, or Scotty.

Seriously weird. 🙂

There are no Spurs fans in that pic. Clear example of racism

20. Ant says:

RA is it like this in Scotland?

Look at some of the names in the comments.

21. Ant says:

22. RA, not Notts, Northants.

23. Ant says:

Jeff Stelling..love him!

Today is this blokes birthday –

And it is also a Gooner’s birthday – he is 71 today!

26. Ant says:

Lou is a punk inspiration.. And flawed genius

Morning all, thanks Raddy I see what you are saying 😛

My point would be …. don’t forget Wednesday!

There is a lesson we should have learned many months before ,,, and its bloody obvious …. If you don’t get width from the midfield and rely on the fullbacks bombing forward, DO NOT play with a high line unless you have 2 quick mobile centrebacks and a strong defensive midfielder who will provide cover in the form of a defensive 3 to cope with the ball over the top and the pace of the opposition’s wingers.

We don’t play 2 quick mobile CB’s therefore don’t play with a high line – it’s suicidal and every team will recognise this and exploit our weakness.

We are rubbish at playing the percentages (Tuesday proved that), play like we did against City and we will win today, play like we did against totnum and Monaco and we will lose ….. will we learn?

28. chas mobile says:

29. Ant says:

Play like we did when we won and we will win today ..maybe or maybe not!
    It’s a funny ole game. Rasp.
    Don’t be fooled by the score. It is not always a reflection of the game or the best team. But I agree that we did not deserve to win on Wednesday but on another night with different luck we would have won by 2 or 3 goals

30. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all,
    That i must say is one of the best PM’s i have read, well done Raddy.
    I read your post and could feel myself nodding with approval, not being able to add much more than what you said.

We will have a fight on our hands this afternoon thats for sure, but if the right team with the right thoughts turn up, we should be able to get a result.

Your last wording was from an old personal hero of mine Leonard Nimoy i have watched every episode of all the Star Trek episodes and have probably learned more from them than i could possibly learn about the cosmos by swatting in books.

Sadly Spock has died, and seems to have only left a ripple. Another of my hero’s is the one and only Arsene Wenger. Many feel he may be on his last but not me, I still see a lot more from him in the future but what do i know. I can feel a win today, a lot going on today all around us but i will only be concentrating on our game 2.1 to the crew of Arsenal and the starship Emirates.

I saw this tour when they came to London. Finsbury Park Rainbow 1975. Has to be in my top 10 concerts. The Hunter/Wagner guitar combo was the best midfield pairing of all-time.

Steve. That is why I wrote the final sentence 🙂 The Vulcan death grip has proved to be very useful though it took many years of practice on my brother to master!.

Hi Ant, I agree that Giroud could have had a hattrick in the first 20 mins – but why were we so poor for the 70 that followed?

The idea that the same players who were so dire on Wewdnesday will make up for it today begs a fundamental question – If the same players can put right what they got wrong on Wednesday – why didn’t they do it on Wednesday?

Thank you for correcting my careless abbreviation of Northamptonshire [Northants] to Notts.

Don’t worry I will not reciprocate. Life’s too sht.

Umm, sht = short – in case you were worried.

35. stevepalmer1 says:

🙂

36. The Cockie Monster says:

The Vulcan Death grip is why so many Trekkies suffered from erectile dysfunction in the 60`sand couldn`t father any kids !.

37. The Cockie Monster says:

What do you think ?……I like the gold one, but the other thing ?…YUK !…….would anyone actually buy that one ?.

Rasper,

Ah, yes, the old Wednesday conundrum. Clearly if we had played Tuesday………..well that would be different.

Your question ranks up there with; ‘why….when I carefully select a random group of numbers – the fcking Lotto machine picks a non-matching alternative group of numbers. Tsssss.

When you get a minute can you also answer the ‘what is the meaning of life question – and why the hell is Nottinghamshire abbreviated to Notts, and not Nottg, or why is there a huge abbreviation like Northants for Northamptonshire, instead of Norts?
    And why is Raddee such a sweetie?’

But you are right – the important one is the ‘Wednesday Question’, and I look forward to reading your book on the subject when it is published.

39. stevepalmer1 says:

Must admit Cockie i suffered from from the Vulcan death grip on many occasions and even with a mind meld couldn’t get them to release.

40. stevepalmer1 says:

Watching the Pool game, boy some nice football being played 1.1 at the mo

Cockle,

— ‘The Vulcan Death grip is why so many Trekkies suffered from erectile dysfunction in the 60s’

Their mistake was that they did not realise they should do it to others, and not on their own manhoods.

And now, dearest Rasper, we know how confused you are, with no hope of answering the ‘Lotto’ or the ‘Raddee’ question, because whatever game you saw on Tuesday last was not the Arsenal débacle. 🙂

‘Pool are irritatingly good today – fast, tricksy up front, and looking not bad at the back.

Hated saying that. 😦

Hi again Redders, as I’m sure you know, your Raddy and Lotto questions have no relevance to the way Arsenal played on Wednesday …… the Arsenal conundrum can be influenced by human intervention, the lotto result is random mathematics and Raddy is from a different dimension 😀

Ospina
    Bellerin Gabriel Kozzer Gibbs
    ……..Coq
    Santi……Ox
    Ozil…….Alexis
    ……Giroud

Hooray …. Gabriel and kozzer 😆

Good team, let’s hope Bellerin and Gibbs stay disciplined.

That pretty much sums it up Rasper – altho you are a bit mean not applying yourself to solving my Lotto question. 🙂

Actually, I am not sure Wednesday’s nonsense is susceptible to huming intervention – headless chicken syndrome can be easily sorted by getting another batch of chickens, especially a big one with defensive capabilities, oh, and a strutting, cocky cockerel who can score a goal or two.

[ssch – I have thrown in a spelling error to keep Norfolk happy.] 🙂

I agree Redders, today we have addressed the problem at the centre of the defence, next we need to find a strong leader in the middle of the pitch 🙂

There is only one team going to win this – and it’s not Citeh —- well, well, 2 : 0

I meant 2 : 1

Citeh have been poor — especially Nasri.

Do Dzeko’s goals not count RA? 😀

“I agree Redders, today we have addressed the problem at the centre of the defence”

So we don’t have to worry at the back today…nice one 😀

I’m thinking Mesut for skipper?

OK in seriousness i guess its between Gibbs and Kozzer, i’d actually give it to Gibbs

2:1 pool, Coutinho is on fire at the moment 😦

Hi GiE, for me the back is the back four, so I didn’t say we didn’t have to worry at the back, just that we now have 2 pacey CD’s and that’s an improvement IMO. I wouldn’t be concerned about The BFG’s lack of mobility if he had played as he did last season, but he just cannot commit himself too high up the pitch, its reckless.

GIE,

If I had my way, no goals would count other than Arsenal’s. 🙂

I was writing about the likely winner of this game when Pool scored.

If we bounce back and win today, there is no reason to think we could not get 2nd place.

Silva has been crap today – missed again.

Citeh look like a bust flush!

I did not realise the Arsenal game was on BT Sport today.

What joy!! 😀

Rasp if Everton press high today which I assume they will we could have issues without BFG to distribute the ball. That’s not to say the high press doesn’t give us issues when he is playing just that he deals with those passes back from the midfield better than most centre backs.

Hi GiE, I’m sorry but all the CD’s should need to do is make a short pass to either of the deep lying midfielders or to the wing backs – I don’t think Merts is the only player capable of doing that. I got frustrated on Wednesday because it appears by default, kozzer always passes to Merts – why?

MC were poor 2nd half. Chelsea must be happy.

Great to see Ox start and the Gabriel/Kos combo

COYRRG

61. arnie says:

absolutely brilliant PM, Raddy. 🙂 and lovely Ant n’Duck show. 🙂

COYG. 🙂

Joe Hart beaten by two goals from outside of the box yet he remains England’s No 1….scary.

Hmmm don’t like our start

budge up
    10 mins late, not bad at all
    do the raddy at half time

Come on boys, get some possession and control

Haven’t missed much Micky we are playing like a team not wanting to give anything away. Dangerous game.

No noise from the Arsenal boys.

No atmosphere as yet and we have started much like the fans …. with lethargy

Ospina saving Gabriel’s bacon there!

That was a typical “what centre forwards chase lost causes in the EPL?” moment that nearly all centre backs have when they arrive in the league.

“Not enough to give s penalty”

True, probably enough for obstruction and an indirect free kick though.

Not that I want to be a Job’s comforter, but this first 26 mins does not bode well.

I’m in your camp RA. No surprise confidence is shot, so I’m afraid players are going to really need fans today.

GGGGGirooooooooooud

Quietly impressed by Gabriel — one or two nervy moments, but he looks like a hard defender.

Now for a hard midfielder – and the world – the Universe will be ours!! 🙂

Cor, that was pants
    Still, nice to be winning

I’m at work today but took a late lunch and was listening to the game on TS. From the commentary it sounded like Gabriel was making some important tackles …. what’s the consensus on his performance so far?

Me too. After his poor attempt which resulted in a fine save from Ospina the man has grown.

Santi on fire again. He and Alexis are the beating heart of the team. Impressed by Ox’s workmate as well.

Would like us to stop the game now so I won’t have to suffer my usual match tension and can watch the rugby

78. stevepalmer1 says:

Struggled to get a stream for the first 15 minutes got a Turkish or Greek one cant understand a word but the Arsenal are doing al right, Gabriel seems alert and Giroud after a missed header gets on target from a cross field ball man i am enjoying this at the moment COYRRG’s

Rasp. Gabriel looks a player

80. chas mobile says:

Perfect first half.
    Same again in the second, please

Thanks Raddy, this is what peaches has just replied to the same question I texted her at the Ems …

” Very good, quick, strong, just what we needed. Everyone else was terrified for 30 minutes, just wanted to defend. Ospina taken a couple of good catches”

That’s OK, Rasper, just ignore my 2 : 53. 🙂

Apologies Redders, thanks for the info 😛

GiE put up “Ospina saving Gabriel’s bacon there!” I wondered what that was all about?

I hope we are not committing too many forward – can anyone watching live advise me please?

…. or conversely, defending too deep 😆 ……

Rasp, Gabriel let long ball bounce and then turned tried to play it mid air and Lukaku nicked it off him, and was away. Luckily Ospina was alert.

After that he has settled down a bit, although Kozzer doesn’t look as commanding today.

Thanks GiE. I get the feeling that kozzer plays best with a senior partner to direct him? Its a bit early for Gabriel to assume that role just yet 😕

In a weird way Rasp we are doing both. Trying to bomb forward when we have it, but because we are sitting deep it’s not possible to do anything meaningful.

Hmmm …. 1 nil to the Arsenal then 🙂 its all about the 3 points after all

Coq taken a head from Giro and now the ball has just taken out all the physios good work.

Mozart deflected goaaaal!

91. arnie says:

Make that 2 nil ….. yeeeesssssss

Great result and another win where we had less than 50% possession ….. onwards and upwards indeed 😀

Phew. We made heavy work of that.

Far from convincing, played well within ourselves (or should that be with fear?) Really need to get back to a more attacking way of playing, we simply are not built for the defend and counter game, the only way to do it would be adopt a 3-5-2. But I think we’d still have a big problem getting congested in middle and not really having the other players for the formation.

Our squad is built for 4-3-3 and 4-3-3 only works if we are going to be adventurous. And I think we have a better squad for 4-3-3 now than we ever had in the past, a squad that shouldn’t require full backs to push on as much as they seem to need to.

Well played Sky…..immediately after the CoC final, Arsenal:Invincibles 😀

97. stevepalmer1 says:

Got the score wrong but the win right, an afternoon of hard graft, Le Coq looks like he has a busted hooter so will look like Zorro next time we see him the guy has had a very hard day but showed plenty of heart. A good 3 points

Smacked in the cricket, hammered in the rugby, thank Dennis for Arsenal

99. RC78 says:

Ospina had a great game…kept us alive and gave us 3 points…Poor day for Sanchez and Ozil and also for…Giroud…he should have scored three…Anyways – good 3 points vs an uninspired Everton side…Gabriel showed he needs more EPL games but overall, ok…and boy oh boy, do we miss Debuchy

100. chas mobile says:

Never in doubt. Perfect second half. Up the Are.

101. chas mobile says:

Arse

102. Ant says:

Back up to third and another win under our belts. Everton were pants

103. Ant says:

And Spuds to laugh at!

RC……got to feel real sorry for Debuchy, was playing really well up until his injury and then to get the dislocated shoulder when he came back. problem is for him he probably only has two/three seasons until Bellerin needs to be regular or risk losing him.

Happy laughing at Spuds, season over in on 1st March.

106. DB10 says:

Aah…THFC, the gift that keeps on giving.

Wonder if Spurs will have a special CoC Runners Up shirt made? 😀

108. The Cockie Monster says:

Come on lads !…there`s probably some poor little spud kids crying after their cup final loss !. Mawhahahahahahahahaahahahaha

109. Ant says:

It’s a shame but you did decide to support the spuds.

110. Ant says:

There must be more crying Spudders by now?!?

113. fatgingergooner says:

Having to get your football analysis from Match of the Day 2 is like getting your financial advice from Poundland.

Dreadful.

114. arnie says:

Just to say I’m very happy. Congrats to Micky for abandoning the Giro OUT campaign at the right time 😁

congrats to Raddy for backing out of the Ospina OUT campaign at the nick of time 😁

well done everyone for joining the Easter IN campaign at the right time 😁😁😁

115. arnie says:

Captain Spock is not dead. He will live in the memories of many many fans.

we saw the dead today. Posing with a meaning less trophy, fake smile on his face, the shameless Catalan. How many do you think will have fond memories of him? I think none. That is the difference between the dead and the immortal

116. arnie says:

On the road now. Back to sconny Botland for a fortnight 😁

Arnie

I said not one word after Monaco because
    a) I’ve given up. Made my point, and he will play so support him and b) I’m nice

Be good to have you back on GMT

Raddy

Apols, had no time to read the post before the game, and konked out asleep the moment the final whistle sounded.
    A very fine read it was, thanks.

I’m off on manoeuvres, but have sent some match thoughts.

2nd day of Spring – snow and sleet in a grey Copenhagen 😦

Arseblog caught swearing in the background of the NBCSports commentary. 🙂

Rasp
    Please check updated assists email.

Thanks chas, I’ll get on it ASAP 🙂