“That’s a good foul” ….. Savage by name ……..

In its infinite wisdom, BT has chosen to employ the services of one Robbie Savage as their expert analyst to educate us with his pearls of wisdom regarding the subtle nuances and tactical complexities of football.

Savage earned his reputation as an old fashioned hard man during his career by regularly stepping over the boundary between good play and foul play.

10001

The aptly named Savage is an odious character who has been branded ‘the dirtiest player in Premier League history’

His trophy cabinet boasts an impressive 87 yellow cards – 5 more than the incumbent of second place, that other gift to humanity, Lee Bowyer.

All of this of course makes Savage the perfect recruit for BT. The once respected national telecoms institution has been sold to the highest bidders and with it, lost its integrity along the way.

This brings me to Savage’s commentary on the match between Brighton and Arsenal last Sunday. Savage had been spouting his usual dinosaur drivel throughout the game, but really stepped it up a notch when our rookie striker Chuba Akpom came on in the 70th minute.

Chuba is an exciting prospect from our academy. At 19, he’s a strong, quick and direct striker – the sort defenders hate. It was an excellent substitution because we were under some pressure from Brighton and needed an outlet that would keep their defenders on their heels. And so it proved as on several occasions the ball was passed out of defence to Chuba who subsequently went up through the gears and looked a real threat.

But each time Chuba got the better of the defenders he was cynically brought down. Most neutrals watching the game might expect the studio pundit to observe how well Chuba had done in drawing the foul and maybe god forbid, to criticise the defender for breaking the rules of the game. Not Savage. On two separate occasions his sage assessment was “that’s a good foul” …… I repeat …… “that’s a good foul”

Now forgive me, but aren’t the rules of the game designed to protect players and ensure that the game is played in the proper manner. If a foul is committed due to a lack of judgement, or just because your opponent is too good and has fooled you, then fair enough. A deliberate foul where there is no intention of getting the ball, only to stop the player in order to avoid a goal scoring opportunity is just plain cheating and risks injury to a fellow professional.

I accept some footballers practise this dark art, it often goes under the affectionate term of ‘taking one for the team’ when a card is brandished, but when it is a blunt instrument regularly employed to stop the side with superior skills playing football, it is detrimental to the game, and contrary to the spirit of the game.

Savage thinks this kind of behaviour is to be applauded. He’s on the telly telling millions of people that this is a good thing. Thousands of aspiring young players will have heard an ‘expert’ describe cheating as “a good foul” – a great example to set. How many times will those actions be replicated in parks up and down the country I wonder? And what if Chuba had suffered a career threatening injury in one of those ‘good fouls’? Hope you’re proud of yourself Robbie. It doesn’t matter to you, you’re busy carving out a celebrity career where the most base of behaviour only serves to enhance your reputation.

This is not an argument against tackling or strong physical play, they still have a place in the modern game. Players with intelligence will know where the line should be drawn. Tackling has been described as an art form by those appreciate the skill and timing involved. I have no problem with that. However, players who lack ability will always seek refuge in an overly physical approach that manifests itself in habitual fouling and should not be encouraged by the media.

It is up to the officials and rule makers to ensure that such practices are discouraged and penalised appropriately. If the rules currently in place do not deter ‘professional fouls’ then the penalties are clearly not harsh enough. We can only hope that their thinking is not influenced by the ‘Savages’ in our media.

He is a disgrace to his profession. BT are guilty of the lowest form of tabloid recruitment in giving him air time.

How are we ever going to progress in football in this country when we have characters like Savage promoting anti-football in our media? We should mount an internet campaign to get Savage off our screens to prevent his contamination of the beautiful game to which Arsene Wenger, Arsenal and all football purists aspire.

Here’s a reminder of the gulf in class between Savage and an Arsenal great ……

Rasp

P.S.

My son is running The London Marathon to raise money for Leukaemia Care. Any donation however small would be gratefully appreciated. There is a link in the side bar to the right of this page, or go to https://www.justgiving.com/jamiemonk/ to view his Just Giving site … thank you 🙂

180 Responses to “That’s a good foul” ….. Savage by name ……..

Rasp – thanks for the post, I will read it later, we can discuss when you pop in tonight 🙂

The clip at the end reminded me of something funny – my old mum was here for Christmas; I was watching some footy when she screamed – oh, what an ugly man!! I looked at the telly and there were Lineker, Keown and Savage. I asked which one almost sure that it was our Martin. But no, oh no, she said that they were all ugly, 3 ugly men but Savage was particularly yuk 🙂 that made me laugh, as he clearly fancies himself

2. rhyle says:

A good read, with some very good points on the rules of the game and the odious Robbie Savage.

Although…this is one of the incredibly rare occasions where I agree with him. There is such a thing as “good foul” and “taking one for the team”. There is also a difference between committing a foul and committing what amounts to an act of violence (as in P.Neville’s cretinous comment on MOTD).

I’ve seen many an Arsenal player pull on a player or clip heels as an opponent is bursting down the wings – if deemed necessary, and it prevents a goal / scoring opportunity, I’m OK with it. As long as it’s not Shawcross / Smith / Taylor level of negligence…

Excellent, Rasp.

I blame the BBC.
    They were the ones who saw the success of talking bollix from Talkshite and decided to employ Savage on 606 to get their ratings up.
    Dumbing down shouldn’t be allowed if they are funded by the licence fee and you couldn’t get much dumber than that pillock.

Thanks rhyle, fouls are like statistics, you only like them if they benefit you – but they are an infringement of the rules and should not be described as good!

5. rhyle says:

Rasp…disagree, though think there’s a line that can be crossed when it comes to persistency, too.

It’s as important to know when you have to break the rules as it is to know that you have to follow them (most of the time…).

I’d say I have a healthy, balanced perspective (most of the time…) when it comes to opposition fouls, too – I’d have done the same thing as the Brighton defender…if I was good enough to be on the pitch in the first place 😀

I’m surprised by that rhyle, we as Arsenal supporters all more often the victim of foul play, why would you wish to promote it?

7. rhyle says:

It’s not promoting it, Rasp…it’s accepting it as part of the game. There’s a difference between a foul “in the moment” to allow your team to get back and reorganise, persistent fouling, outright violence and the sort of foul play encouraged / epitomised by a Stoke, Bolton in the day…hell..even Man Utd when they kicked Reyes to pieces…

Think football fans are getting to conservative when it comes to the rules, refereeing and fouling – not just you, not just Arsenal fans…but we are more prone to it…read another gooner recommending that people who commit “over the top” fouls should be criminally charged, for example. Do that and there’ll be no more tackling…nonsense.

Very good Post, Rasp.

Savage is a particularly unpleasant type of guy, but what he says is not surprising because those views are fairly representative of the ‘win at all costs’ mentality that is endemic in society in the current era.

In even the relatively recent past the Corinthian ideal was associated with doing things properly and honestly and became associated with amateur sport, in particular.

Even Rasp’s beloved cricket had a form of division between the ‘amateur gentlemen’ and the professional players.
    The professionals were paid and the name implies, whereas the ‘gentleman’ were expected to be amateurs and not paid.

There was an element of hypocrisy involved in that ‘amateurs’ were often paid by inflated ‘expenses’, and there was also an element of ‘masters’ and ‘servants’ about it.

So in the event the distinctions were done away with, and the result is the ‘sledging’ and cheating that has become part of that game.

At root money is the driving factor in this, and has sod all to do with what fans might think. The bigger the prize for winning the bigger the lure to take one for the team, in other words to cheat.

I do not like Savage, and many others too, if I am honest, and I regret that cheating by fouling, diving, intimidating, drug taking etc is now the norm in football.

So, it neither surprises me that he said what he did, neither do I think cheating will ever be eliminated in football or any other sport.

Savage’s comment, however distasteful to some, was a tacit understanding that the ‘good’ foul is simply accepted, and even expected by team mates, by all professionals to some degree.

Sorry Rasp, but I also disagree.

Thing is this, I am an equal opportunities kinda guy, and with that in mind, picture this.

You’re born a Northerner AND Welsh, then to complete the misery, you have a ponytail. To describe your likely outlook on the world as miserable would be a terrible understatement.

If I were born in his nasty plastic shoes, I too would be bitter, and want to kick lumps out of more privileged people.

Okay guys, we are going to have to disagree on this one. I wonder how many of you would have described it as a good tackle if Chuba had done his ACL?

Raddy summed it up beautifully in his comment yesterday, The more skilful the game becomes, The fewer tackles will be made, so ask yourself, do you want a more skilful game or a more physical game?

What the heck is an ACL? Some sort of qualification?

Ok Rasp
    To be serious, I need to see this tackle on Chubby. Anyone with a clip of it? I’ll go google

What was the name of the defender?

15. rhyle says:

Rasp…it was never the sort of tackle to cause an ACL problem. It was the sort of niggly foul everyone ignores until the 5th, 6th, 7th one gets on your nerves…

Thanks Micky, but thats not the point I am making,. It was not a particularly bad tackle, it’s just that a foul was described as good. If Savage had been a Brighton supporter, he may have considered a foul to be good, but as a paid pundit he has a responsibility to be professional

17. rhyle says:

Rasp…if it’s the word “good” you have a problem with I can get behind that! Replace it with the word “understandable” and do you have as much of a problem?

Ok fair point Rasp. Actually, what annoys me more than a Savage condoning that kind of football (what do you expect), but more teams like Chelsea who employ those bending of the rules in an anti-football kind of way, when they don’t even have the excuse for “making up for a chronic lack of talent”

Exacty Micky 🙂

Yes Rhyle, its Savage’s vocabulary, his attutude towards the game, his defence of anti-football justified by the assertion that of the other player is better than you its perfectly Ok to foul him. He can think what he likes privately, but in front of millions of TV viewers its highly irresponsible

One last point – I promise 🙂 Where is the definition of a good foul in the FA rule book – it doesn’t exist!

Rasp
    Here’s what I call a good foul 🙂

22. rhyle says:

Rasp…I’ll also make one (and…a halfish) final point, I too promise 😀

I’m not sure this has anything to do with the player committing the foul being better or worse than the player fouled…it is cynical, it is against the rules but it is understandable as it’s in the interests of the team. As for your point about a good foul in the rule book? Moot…it is important to know how to use the rules in your favour…when to break them. Get too precious about the rules and a lot of the fun, passion and controversy would go out of the game.

But there are lines you don’t cross…it’s just that everyone’s line is drawn in a different place…

Thanks Micky, I guess the Grimster got a red for that challenge 😆

If I’m honest, the post is tongue in cheek and I do have some agreement with the points made by Redders, Rhyle and Micky regarding the need to retain passion/competitive nature of football – but I do also think those who have made millions from the game and commentate on games to help the understanding of the viewer have a duty to uphold minimum standards. Savage falls way short of that level.

24. RC78 says:

I think that there are “good or tactical fouls” in football but to be good, they have to:

1. Not endanger the physical integrity of the fouled players so they cannot be dangerous plays type of fool (behind the player tackle, two footed or reckless tackles…big hits on upper body/especially neck face…); and

2. Be timely.

For example, a player is running away from his defender to get a clear look on goal or on a cross/asssist… If the defender pulls him back by the shirt, it is a good tactical foul that is timely, not dangerous for the physical integrity of the fouled player and that will get sanctionned by a card…

In that sense, some fouls may be necessary but they can’t be malicious or injure players…

Savage is another Tw@t officiating on TV together with Neville. They also have Barton…I know the shows need a bit of controversy but I would be happier with players like Cantona that may say smt ludicrous at points

before RA gets here I would like to remind you that foul means “(in sport) an unfair or invalid stroke or piece of play, especially one involving interference with an opponent”. Unfair is the key word here.
    If it is fair and valid than it is not a foul.

Yes, I would like to see more physical game.

26. RC78 says:

HORRENDOUS RUMOUR: Arsenal approach to out-of-form and out-of-favor AC Milan defender Adil Rami.

He is really horrible guys…Hope we do not buy him, he is a Sylvestre type of players…Blunders, lapses, red cards…

Interesting discussion.

When I first read the post, I thought it was about Savage’s credentials as a pundit as per the poll rather than about what constitutes a ‘good foul’. I realise now that it’s about both.

There can’t be anyone who would seriously say that Savage deserves his role as a pundit. Micky’s comment at 10:20 is about the closest we’ll get as justification, I think. 🙂

In terms of fouls it was the ‘I would have two footed him’ comment from Phil Neville which I found truly disgusting. Not any attempt to justify a foul if it’s for the good of the team, but simply a ‘he’s more skilful, so I’ll break his leg’ sentiment.
    Absolutely disgraceful.

29. RC78 says:

Neville and Savage getting a lot of stick at the moment…I hope BBC takes note and replaces them after making them apologize…You want pundits from the Top teams in the EPL since EPL was created, well get:

Ferdinand (Utd), Henry (AFC), Zola/Hasselbaink (Chelsea), Dunne (Man City), Carragher (Liverpool), Shearer (Blackburn/Newcastle), Ginola (Tottenham/Newcastle)…You can add Schmeichel/Cantona for Utd, Campbell/Bergkamp (AFC) or Heskey for Liverpool but please avoid Owen, Neville, Savage or Bartons of this world – they just suck

30. This is a fantastic post, Rasp. I hope somehow you can send it over to the powers that be on BT Sports.

Totally agree chas, I was going to mention Neville advocating assaulting a player who is showing his skill, on that note, maybe it should be OK to punch any pundit in the face when they talk bollix

32. RC78 says:

Rasp + 1

33. rhyle says:

I’m all for getting rid of the odious malcontent that is Savage from TV and radio…you can add Collymore, anyone on MOTD (bar Keown 😀 ), Carragher, Owen, James, McManaman…in fact, just keep anyone connected to AFC, Neville, Jenas (I know…I know…) and that’s about it…

34. Vintage Gooner says:

On Chuba Akpom last Sunday I don’t want to add to the lengthy debate on the fouls nor even the skill and speed he showed moving forward with the ball. No I was screaming at the TV because without the ball he was a bone idle disgrace. He did a quarter of the running without the ball that Rosicky did in the last 20 minutes even though he had 70 minutes playing time and more than 10 years age less than our Czech dynamo.We should sit young Mr Akpom down and make him watch a ten hour compilation of Alexis to give him some idea of what he should be doing when he doesn’t have the ball.

Apologies for rant which is now over!

Hi VG, Chuba is out of contract at the end of the season. It appears we don’t intend to offer him a new deal so I guess he’ll leave on a free. It may be that Chuks Aneke is the one that Arsenal may keep a hold of.

36. David Stewart says:

rasp – Chuks Aneke was sold in pre-season. Shame, I thought he had a bit of promise.

Doh, sorry, I got confused 😦 maybe we will keep Chuba then, I like the look of him

I think Chas has the right of it. There can and has been different interpretations of what you were getting at, Rasp.

— Robbie Savage is not a nice person.

— A foul (as Eddie correctly defined it) – is a foul, is a foul, according the rules of football.

The terminology used in football commentaries and elsewhere in life, can be very loose.

I suspect what Savage meant by a ‘good’ foul could have been described as a ‘necessary’ or ‘professional’ foul from the team perspective, with the perpetrator knowing full well his manager and team-mates would expect him to do it, regardless of the consequences to the player ‘taking one for the team’.
    Let’s face it — all teams do it at some time. 🙂

It is still a foul within the rules, and will be dealt with accordingly, whether it is called ‘good’, necessary, professional or whatever.

There is, in any event, a foul ‘grading’ system in the game.
    — Low grade fouls are penalised with a free kick.
    — Medium or ‘stronger’ fouls get a yellow card.
    — And, depending on the severity of the foul and/or the circumstances when it was perpetrated, get a red card.

Then red cards are also graded – eliciting differing lengths of game suspension, such as 3 games for a violent foul, or one game for two ‘medium’ yellow cards.

I suspect that Savage’s use of language is what is at fault here, compounded by the fact that no one likes him. 🙂

Personally, I do not like cheating, and regret that it is endemic in society in general and football and other sports specifically.

To win by cheating? No, thanks.

The most worrying thing about this to me is the not knowing if we are in the minority. That’s to say, do most people out there agree with Snivel and Savage? A bit of a concern when you think about it.

Thanks for the post Rasp.

40. G’day all,

An excellent post Rasp thank you.

I watch a lot of sport, not just football, on the tele. It seems that all broadcasters employ the same type of commentators/summarisers and pundits. Almost without exception they are garrulous sel-opinionated and, all too often, lacking in understanding of the laws/rules of the game they are commenting on.

All commentary boxes should be equipped with a large sign in a prominent position that reads “ONE PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS”.

If I’m watching a game of football, or rugby, or cricket, or, god forbid, curling I don’t need some over excited plonker wittering on about what I can see quite clearly for myself. That’s bad enough but when it comes to the sort of comments made by characters like the ineffable Savage and the uglier of the Neville brothers it just makes me reach for the mute button.

Some time ago an effort was made to stamp out what was then called “the professional foul”, just the sort of thing that Savage refered to as “a good foul”. Bookings and even a few dismissals ensued, and the practice almost died out, for a while.

Rhyle, earlier was saying that it’s ok to commit fouls so long as no injury occurs, I’m sorry but how does the player committing the foul know in advance that his victim is not going to be injured. A couple of weeks ago a seemingly innocuous nudge saw Debuchy crash into the pitchside hoardings and suffer a dislocated shoulder.

I don’t want to see football become a non-contact game, but the cynical “good foul” needs to be stamped out.

41. arnie says:

Lovely post, Rasp. Thank you. 🙂 It really needed to be said. A foul is what the name says, it is foul play, and no matter how well you try to vainly glorify it, it is illegal and should be left in the dark ages.

Unfortunately, the English are a warring nation. They like a physical encounter. They have managed to (almost) convert their own beautiful game football into a form of rugby. It is a huge shame.

It makes me sad, because as an immigrant, there are many things about British society that I can feel proud of, but violence in football is not one of them. Violence in the stands, violence in the game, violence in the pub. Thankfully guns are illegal in the country, otherwise it would have been worse. Back to the 60s Clockwork Orange times. No, not quite, back to the Middle Ages.

For Chissake, just for once listen to what the rest of the world think about our football. It is a shame, doubly so, because England has such a lovely crop of hard-working spirited players. All is wasted because of this violent attitude.

Savage is only the tip of the iceberg. If this post does even a little bit to put the alternate view into the public domain, it is well done Rasp, well done AA, well done all of us!

We live to fight on!

Hi NG, its true, the likes of Dan Maskill, Kenneth Wolstenholme , Christopher Martin-Jenkins and my favourite, John Arlott are few and far between.

Thanks Rasp and I totally agree with you. Savage, Neville and many other recently retired British players turned pundits completely exemplify the deep rooted problem in English football and why we struggle to compete at international level. The allowance (almost uniquely in the EPL out of all the big leagues) of a physical approach that crosses over the boundary of legality creates an issue.

It arguably allows the game to be more exciting and allows less technical teams to reduce the gap in a game against a more technical team. This means that a physical less technical team always has more of a chance than the equivalent sides in say the Spanish leagues.

Literally every British ex playing pundit salivates over this cross the line physical approach from certain teams against better teams and you realise that it is not just them but the media, referees, F.A, premier league e.t.c. There is a global acceptance of it and quite frankly it will not change IMO.

I don’t worry about it anymore and think Arsenal are fine with dealing with it now anyway. What I do hate though is all and sundry embracing this approach in the EPL and then complaining at why we are not technically good enough at international tournaments.

For me accepting this borderline physical approach drives some of the technicality out of the game so I find it hypocritical that some want this but then moan about why the other international countries are better than us when it comes to the tournaments. I have lost count of the times Shearer has, in reference to playing Arsenal, spoken on MOTD about lining up with 2 banks of 4 and getting in their face. Then you see him a few months later commenting on our embarrassing world cup exit to Germany with his head in his hands talking about how we must get back to basics and improve the technical ability of our young players. Cue the next season and back on MOTD gleefully lauding a team getting in Arsenal’s faces and “they don’t like it up them”. Hypocritical Alan………

It has to be said that a lot of the difference is due to the huge gap in acceptability between the referees in the EPL and in, for instance, Spain. I actually think the oversees referees go too far the other way and buy into every simulation so am not suggesting theirs are great but ours pants. If the Brighton – Arsenal game had been played over in Spain with a Spanish referee Brighton would have been lucky to leave the field with 10 men never mind 11. I actually don’t think world football has found its happy middle ground yet.

Thanks GoonerB, for a while I thought I was in the minority after the early responses, but you, chas, arnie and LB have restored the faith in my conviction 😛

If we love the way Arsenal play, we surely have to condemn tactics that not only break the rules but target teams with our ethos.

45. Thanks Rasp, John Arlott, now that’s what I call commentating.

I shudder to think what Savage and Snivel would have made of that situation.

Exactly NG, they wouldn’t have possessed the vocabulary, imagination or intelligence to have dealt with the unexpected so eloquently.

Kenneth Wolstenholme has gone down in history for ‘They think its all over’ … I wonder which lines from Savage’s commentary will be remembered in years to come?

Rasp,

How odd that a Post you admit in a comment at 11:45 was written ‘tongue-in-cheek’ should descend into ‘who is on your side’ when I thought we were discussing a subject matter that has many causes, and interpretations.

I did not contradict the ‘tongue in cheek’ point you made in your Post – I discussed it — but if I had known you were simply seeking ‘agreement’, and were not interested in discussing any of the the points I made – and you haven’t, I would not have bothered.
    What would be the point?

arnie,

I love the vim and vigour you put into your comment, and it tickled my funny bone.

You seem to be very hard on the ‘English’ for being ‘war-like’, when the person concerned as the focal point of Rasp’s Concorde Cordiale, namely Savage, is not English but Welsh. 🙂

That in itself is likely to start a war.

Having extolled, I think, the virtues of peace, not that that was ever in question, you conclude with the warlike ‘We live to fight on!’ 🙂

How complex you are! 🙂

Hi Redders, the tongue in cheek part was in my slightly over the top use of prose, not in the conviction of my point. As we’ve said before, you have to leave room for disagreement to have a debate. I was surprised, but not offended, that the early responses were to the contrary, but later I realised it was because on had not got my point over clearly enough 🙂

Interestingly Rasp I was more taken with your comment that Akpom is an exciting academy talent, a sentiment I happen to agree with. However he is in the final year of his contract and if the rumours are to be believed rival big clubs are circling.

Maybe we are not bothered about him and know something they don’t, that maybe he is good but not world class potential. He does happen to have the best ever academy goal scoring record though, apparently, so I would have thought we would have liked to find out whether this 17 year old could make it with us. I find myself asking how we find ourself in this situation again?

GoonerB,

As usual I liked your comment and certainly the administrative authorities are very lax about certain aspects of the game where a blind eye is turned to matters that appear not to bother them.

The part of your comment that I find perplexing, and I am not English, is that you seem to lay the blame for all the games ills at the foot of the English, or perhaps the British, when at the most recent count, about 40% of the players in the Premier League are ‘foreign’.

Actually, I think a bit of perspective is needed when we are discussing apportionment of blame, because I think all players, whatever their nationality, have become inured to the ‘win at all costs’ philosophy, which along with the taint brought about by the huge amount of money swilling thru the game has made the acceptance of cheating inevitable. 😦

Damn! I wrote a lengthy-ish response to GB’s response – pressed the teat and it disappeared into the ether.

A précis is called for. 🙂

Football’s administrators do not do enough to clamp down on misdemeanours.

Apportioning blame is a dangerous and difficult task. And to appear to blame English, or more widely British, players for the growth in cheating is to ignore the fact that at the last count, approximately 40% of the players in the Premier League are non-British.

It also ignores the fact that, for those of us with access to sports/football on TV, from all over the world, we can see for ourselves that the football malaise is not confined to these shores.

I raised the parallel of the way in which cricket was run until the 1970s (?) where there was a divide between the masters and the servants – oops- I should have said the professionals and the amateurs, and it was only after everyone realised that the ‘amateurs’ were anything bit that the ECB decided to remove that delineation and everyone became professional players.

Death to the Corinthian Spirit, many thought, as the only way to regulate the amateur ‘cheating’ was to make every player take the money — openly – and cut through the hypocrisy.

Football too needs a vigorous shake up – but that must come from the top of FIFA – so don’t hold your breath.

Bugger, my original popped up at 2:54, and my replacement synopsis at 3:09 turned out to be twice as long!

I blame those bloody wormers!! 🙂

GoonerB
    Chuba is 19, was loaned to Brentford and Coventry last season without scoring and has been offered a new 3 year contract.
    Are we meant to tie him up and stick electrodes on his nads until he signs? 🙂

58. arnie says:

very interesting point, GoonerB, that lenience towards the violent approach makes the EPL more competitive. Never thought about it that way. Is this sort of similar to Micky’s description of the Northern attitude?

Reminds me of Yales political scientist James Scott. “Weapons of the Weak”, “The Art of Not Being Governed”, etc. Interesting. 🙂

59. arnie says:

Redders. Contradictions are a fact of life! 🙂

Rasp. I have been reading your recommended book on football mob violence. A fascinating read! 🙂 and 😦

60. arnie says:

Redders. It is not so much the fault of players, who play the game as directed. But the administrators, who conduct how the game should be played. Hence the FA, hence the English.

As far as I am concerned, the buck stops there. As far as I am concerned, the FA have allowed the game in England to be ugly. They have lost the moral right to act as custodian of the game worldwide. If things do not change now, it will be all too late.

So, there you go. That is my rant. Sad, very sad. 😦

chas, your clip @ 3:38 is the same one I posted in the article beneath the poll 😆

Arnie, thanks, but I don’t remember recommending a book to you?

arnie,

FIFA rule world football. The ‘English’ have very little, if any, influence on the rule setting or administration of the game, as is obvious from the animosity between Bladder and the FA.

In that respect, every rule by which the game is played in England is at the behest of FIFA and any attempt at modification needs the approval of the governing body.

The post was actually asking;

“How are we ever going to progress in football in this country when we have characters like Savage promoting anti-football in our media?
    We should mount an internet campaign to get Savage off our screens to prevent his contamination of the beautiful game to which Arsene Wenger, Arsenal and all football purists aspire.”

And followed that with a poll asking; “Should Robbie Savage be allowed to ply his trade as a football pundit?”

Now that is clearly the famous Rasp ‘tongue in cheek’ bit as it would be ridiculous to attempt to stop anyone, however much he is disliked, from earning a living.

Your last para is correct redders 😀

Chas,

I think perhaps Arsenal have allowed Chuba’s contract to run down too far.

Why? I don’t know, but he is a very good player potentially, and perhaps the powers that be were a little too complacent in expecting him to simply sign when the contract was offered.

Agents don’t work that way, and it has left the door open to the Oilers for whom, as we know, money is no object. He could easily go. 😦

Your suggestion may be the only option available. 🙂

Ooops, my bad.
    I looked at the post when I was heading into the gym this morning and the video wouldn’t load on my phone, so I completely forgot it was there.
    Can you delete my comment so I don’t look such a tit?

67. arnie says:

Hello, Rasp. You quoted from this book, on AA, and then we had a discussion. 😛

Understanding Football Hooliganism: A Comparison of Six Western European Football Clubs

by Ramón Spaaij

one chapter on West Ham, and another on Fulham.

That’s OK chas, actually your clip is better as it goes straight to the interview. It’s likely others may have missed the original so let’s leave yours up there. It’s a great illustration of cool personified v moronic desperation 🙂

Ok thanks arine, I still don’t think that was me, but no worries 🙂

70. arnie says:

Redders. There are the rules (FIFA) and then there are interpretation of the rules (FA), and so on. I wont go any further, because it will take us into the known unknowns and unknown unknowns cycle. 😛 I stand by my position. 😛

RA
    I think there is a default position amongst some fans whereby the Club has always done wrong with contracts.

Similar things were said about van pussy, FFBW and Bacary. If the bastards don’t want to sign, you can’t force them.

I even tried to find out when Chuba was offered a new contract and it’s not possible with all this current news. For all we know the whole thing may have been put about by his agent to drum up interest.

Do we really need to offer a 18 year old (last summer) with little or no 1st team experience a new contract just because he has only one year left on his current contract?

Now look!! I don’t know which one of you – probably Rasp – is responsible for putting a toe to the jaxi, but I am getting seriously bugged that the Gabriel transfer has still not been announced by Arsenal!!

So, extract the digit and at least threaten them with the camel wormer if we do not hear something by 6 p.m.

Then set GB on the case – he can crush grapes you know!! 😀

Chas,

Like you, I do not know nuzzink – but I understood that his contract expires this summer, hence the foreign clubs sniffing around.

Agents always stir things up, of course, you are right — but if he really wants to stay with us, those sort of tactics can easily backfire.

In which case — tough!

Chas/Arseblog, 😀

OK, arnie — I do not understand your position, so I cannot argue against it. 🙂

RA’s comment of 10.17 sums up my view.

There is no such thing as a good foul. Where is the sport in that? Take one for the team? I cannot believe AW would sink to such depths. Some call it pragmatism – I call it cheating.

I hate that my passion has become so polluted by a-holes like Savage. As chas says, it is a sad day when the BBC, once a bastion of impartiality and good sense, appoints numbskulls like Savage or allows P. Neville to make ridiculous comments without censure.

To see an ill-educated, racist, self-promoting imbecile like Joey Barton talking about football as though his opinion is valuable is quite frankly sickening.

I blame Margaret Thatcher

arnie,

So, what you are saying is;

— There are known knowns. These are things that we know we know.

— There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don’t know.

— There are also unknown unknowns. These are things we don’t know that we don’t know.

So that explains why you confuse me – and yourself – because two thirds of what you said fall into the ‘haven’t got a clue’ bracket? 😀

Rasper knows the feeling well! 😀

Spot on, Raddish!! 😀

Nauseating just does not come near it for me but it will do………

There appears to be a cult in the TV media that ex-players are a must, ignoring the fact they have no training in commentating and that they are inclined to allow their own asinine prejudices to inform their so-called ‘expert’ opinions. Pah!

And hello, by the way!! 😀

80. arnie says:

Redders. Agreed. But I still blame the English FA for everything that is wrong with British football. For me the buck stops there. 😆

Raddy. 🙂

81. jnyc says:

These pundits are clearly buffoons.. i saw Nevilles stupidity also, but i dont think he should be fired or fined. He should be dealt with Lauren style.

Agree with vintage, Akpom had me yelling at the tv also, but it was because he missed a totally wide open Alexis 2 times, im not sure if he was selfish or unaware, be we cant give this kid any meaningful minutes because we are in all important matches, unless we are up by a few goals.
    I hope Arsene or an assistamt forces him to look at the video and makes the point seriously.
    Im annoyed about the contract situation. He probably is getting impatient and wants opportunities somewhere.
    But im much more worried about the Coquelin contract. I know its just a few matches, but he is clearly exactly what we have all been crying out for as a dm. But i dont blame him if he wants to be sure that he’s not relegated to the bench when wilshere returns.i would be furious with Arsene if he doesnt keep him as a starter. Right now, for me, he’s one of the first names on the team sheet.

82. I think the correct cricketing term was “Gentlemen and Players” to differentiate between Amateurs and Professionals.

Batsmen and slow bowlers were usually “Gentlemen”, the rest were merely “Players”. 😀

Not to hark on about problems – ah-hem – sometimes called cheating – affecting other sports and countries, the NFL accused the Patriots of deliberately under inflating their balls in the first half of Sundays elimination for the Super Bowl.

I do not have a clue how this would have helped them, but as the Patriots won 45 : 7 it presumably worked!

I will have to leave it to Chas to explain how balls are under inflated, or conversely over inflated – as I suspect he will know. Is it painful? 😀

84. arnie says:

some of my comments are just vanishing into thin air. I blame Redders for this! 😛

You were doing well there Norfolk, putting me, a mere Yank, in his cricketing place — until your second para,

— “Batsmen and slow bowlers were usually “Gentlemen”, the rest were merely “Players”.

Bollix! 😀

Why not, arnie? Rasp usually blames me too. 🙂

Be careful tho. It happened to me earlier, when a mighty missive of mine disappeared. I a show of largesse I did a précis of my missing comment, which was three times longer (?) yep, I know — and then the short-arse original showed up to shame me!!!! 🙂

87. arnie says:

Trying again. Different way, now.

Rasp.

A. in response to B.

Not a bad book IMO. Can lend it to you later. 🙂

A. Rasp says:
    December 28, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Welcome Occasional – why not make it more frequent?

This is what you were referring to for those who didn’t make the connection….

B. Occasional Reader says:
    December 28, 2014 at 12:38 pm

not a happy ground at all back in the day. Playing them was never pleasant, even at home, as the writer of the headline post alludes to, due to those idiots the ICF. Let’s beat these pretenders, RIP John Dickinson

Hi, jnyc. 🙂

All good points – and Chuba certainly is a raw talent and would have to be used sparingly – if he stays.

I hear the snow in NY is only inches deep, rather than the forecast 3 feet — but I guess from experience, that there will be a lot more of that to come soon! 🙂

There is a forecast of snow here too in the UK, where I am staying in the North of England – and I am not looking forward to it.

89. RA, I’m going back to the early years of test cricket, On the long trip, by sea, out to Australia the teams split naturally into two groups, the batsmen and slow bowlers in one, the rest in another. They ate separately, one lot in the formal dining room the others elsewhere. I leave it to you to work out which were the “Gentlemen” and which the “Players”.

90. RC78 says:

AW said he wants to keep Coquelin and I think he will…

Chuba should also be extended and then loaned out. He s pacy and is good in dribbling but his awareness is off both in terms of his partners and in terms of his positional related to the goal…but both these items can be learned so he can turn out to to be a good player from our Academy. He really needs to learn to keep his head up – it s not youth level anymore…Hope he stays.

I am more worried about Zelalem who is supposed to be an amazing talent at DM/CM and now we buy Bielik so I am just a bit worried about him…

Gnabry is coming back to fitness, which is nice as he is also exciting.

We have tons of pacy players now with Bellerin, Gibbs, Walcott, Ox, Sanchez, Gnabry and Chuba…Let us add more steel in the back and in midfield and we would have a good mix 🙂

Martinez – Bellerin, Chambers – Gnabry, Zelalem, Bielik – Chuba

Our young talents at the moment

91. The Cockie Monster says:

Burn him at the Stake, I say !. Good way of finishing the Witch hunt !. 🙂

What`s all this Cricket crap ?………….just another name for a posh shirtlifters sport if you ask me !. hahaha

How do you account for…..The bowlers Holding the batsman`s Willey ?.

Rasp,

Firstly I have not had time to read the comments so my thoughts may have already been expressed.

I enjoyed reading your post but I’m afraid that I disagree with the premise that inferior commentary will influence the youth players.

What does influence them is the fact that the type of conduct you describe is allowed to occur without an appropriate punishment. The referee can only punish fouls based on the rule book, it’s up to the FA to consider changing the rules.

If you a player back who has been beaten by an opposing player, which in turn caused a goal scoring opportunity, your job is to stop that player regardless of the consequences, it’s been that way since day dot. Throughout the years Arsenal have been excellent at that particular tactic.

All that said I find the vast majority of today’s breed of commentators to be nauseating and I frequently mute the sound, this happens most of the time when Man U are playing as the commentary is particularly one sided.

Sorry RA / chas. Been out on dad duties. Still am and battery fading so will comment more later but the answer to the last bit of your 1.20 chas is yes. 🙂

Ha, I presume you mean the nads comment at 3,20?
    What’s 2 hours between friends?

95. jnyc says:

Hi RA,
    They always over hype the forecast to get local news ratings up, never turns out as bad as predicted. I made sure to have lots of good food and snacks just in case, im about to rewatch the brighton match, and have a long list on netflix. Season 2 of “the fall” up next.. love it.

RA
    I saw some fine double entendre quotes about #deflategate earlier but can’t find them now.
    Anything which mentions tampering with your balls is funny to us brought up on Carry On films. 🙂

100

Thanks arnie, you have sufficiently jogged the memory of someone who is clearly in the early stages of dementia 😦 my apologies

Thanks GN5, I thought the points you make were covered in these paras …….

……..This is not an argument against tackling or strong physical play, they still have a place in the modern game. Players with intelligence will know where the line should be drawn. Tackling has been described as an art form by those appreciate the skill and timing involved. I have no problem with that. However, players who lack ability will always seek refuge in an overly physical approach that manifests itself in habitual fouling and should not be encouraged by the media.

It is up to the officials and rule makers to ensure that such practices are discouraged and penalised appropriately. If the rules currently in place do not deter ‘professional fouls’ then the penalties are clearly not harsh enough. We can only hope that their thinking is not influenced by the ‘Savages’ in our media……….

Norfolk,

Not that it matters, but you might like to read Althea’s ‘History of Cricket’ where all will be revealed. 🙂

The following gives a clue to the very distinct social nature of the divide between the Gentlemen aka ‘amateurs’ and the Players aka professionals.

The fixture [Gentlemen v Players] that became the definitive expression of a cricketing class divide was first contested in 1806 when the two teams met twice.
    Even then, the amateurs [Gentlemen] realised they were at a real disadvantage and so their team, in the inaugural match at Lord’s, included two of the greatest professional players of the time. [Cheats! 🙂 ]

WG Grace subsequently captained the Gentlemen (amateurs) against the Players (professional) at Lord’s in 1899.

Sorry, NG, your romantic tale is………..inaccurate, I am afraid. 😀

You will never speak to me again now. Bugger! 🙂

103. Shard says:

Back from a long weekend at a very crowded Jaipur. Managed to catch the last half hour of the Brighton game, and have since seen it, So back as normal to AA.

Well done Rasp. Great piece.

I think there is a culture in English football, and among many of the fans, of exhibiting physicality, which sometimes crosses the line to violence. Savage is merely a product of that culture which allowed him to be a professional footballer at a high level despite his lack of skill. He is probably only parroting what he has heard all the years he’s been in football. He is not to blame.

His and Neville’s comments both seem to think that a side which isn’t good enough should be allowed to break the rules to make up for it. This is of course absurd, but it is the way English football sees itself and how they interpret the rules. This is why they initially denounced Wenger’s French invasion with its flowing football, and why they resist attempts to protect players from injury, blaming the victim for being too quick and suchlike.

While RA seems to think money is to blame for this cheating culture, I don’t think it is as clear as that. I believe this cheating/violent culture permeates from the authorities, rather than the players who would likely want to win regardless of the financial stakes. Of course, maybe they allow it because they believe it fetches the big bucks, and based on their TV deals they have an argument.

I also disagree with someone who suggested that this physicality makes English football more competitive. I think money has done that. Every team is now capable of buying an expensive player and building a decent squad, which makes every match tougher. Of course the top teams are winning more games, but that is again down to how much of a gap they have opened financially. Not to do with reducing physicality in the league.

LB said in the comments on yesterday’s article I think, that any team that wins the EPL should be good enough to win the CL. But recent evidence suggests this is not correct. The Epl demands a certain style of play which would be punished in Europe for both its level of physicality and its lack of technical/tactical ability. Building a team that is capable of winning both the PL and the CL is going to be extremely tough because of this. Just as winning anything will be for the England national team.

Errr — I do not know who the hell Althea is — the bloke I meant was H Althem. 🙂

105. I agree with every one… but if a good foul stops a player getting into out penalty area and means someone doesn’t have to take him down and concede a penalty, and the player commiting the good foul gets a yellow and prevents one of our players getting a red card… that’s good enough for me. Robbie Savage however, is a foul bastard, doesn’t deserve to be on TV and giving his twattish opinion.

I’m cooking a sausage stew with dumplings tonight in the mountains. Can someone explain why a large Toulouse Sausage is nice and straight when put into the pan, but after 5 minutes it goes all bendy and is difficult to turn over and brown on the other side… any suggestions on how to remedy this would be helpful 🙂

Chas – don’t announce Gabriel is hilarious 🙂 yeah, let him run onto the pitch and scare the living daylights out of Villains 🙂

107. Shard says:

RA

I expect you to fall asleep soon now 🙂

Hi Shard, 🙂

It is no surprise to me, but you are straight in with a total misrepresentation of my position, by picking the lowest hung fruit from the many points I made in the various discussions I have had today.

You might find it helpful to first go back to Rasp’s Post and address the points and the questions that he raised in it concerning Savage and his suitability for Media presentation, before arriving at conclusions as to his behaviour.

Or you might not. 🙂

Either way, I could not be fagged to go over it all again, so hello and goodbye. 🙂

If it was put to the vote, Norther, there is no question in my mind that your view would win hands down!!!! 🙂

Sausage stew sounds great — hope you do some cooking when the deadly duo and me visit you!! 😀

Ta ra.

110. Goodbye Redders…. just as I thought a nice rumble was about to happen between RA and Shard 😦

111. Shard says:

Sorry RA. I probably did misrepresent you but I did not intend it to seem that that was the entire point of your comments. I merely plucked the ‘lowest hanging fruit’ because I’m lazy like that, and because that is all I could think of right now (still pretty tired today)

No probs, Shardo. 🙂

But I really do have to go.

Sayonara.

You are right Rasp you did cover those points. That’s how poor my memory has become I posted my comment several hours after I read your post. So sorry………………………

Is it illegal to post death threats to Diego Costa?

Where is 26m when you need him?

oscar is doing the arse tackles again

Eddie
    I know you’re only kidding but, extending the theme of today’s post, is there any such thing as a ‘good death threat’?

absolutely! the world would be a better place without Diego Costa and the organ grinder

thing is I don’t believe in making empty threats. No point in saying you are going to punch someone in the head and then just walk away

Was it Dirty Harry who demonstrated difference between a threat and a fact?

Filthy tactics by the chavs against pool. Costa should receive a red retrospectively

For some strange reason I want pool to win now, the chavs are the easier to dislike

Rasp – agree, but it is well worth it if you are not a Pool Fan – watch maurinho when he starts jumping up and down with bulging eyes and raised arms, it is the funniest thing on TV tonight, I cannot get enough of it 🙂

True Eddie, I never like to see players telling the ref to give a red card, but Maureen was the worst culprit. He’s a hypocrite

NB- It is the skin shrinking faster than the insides which causes the curl. A severe stabbing of said cover will help.

Costa should have been red carded. Ref is a homer but I want Chavs to win as they will beat Spurs in the final whereas L’pool will turn over like a beaten dog

very good point Raddy 🙂

it is just that Maureen said today that it is ‘live or die’ game and I really want him dead. What did he mean anyway?

Second leg – only one winner?

I know that Chas, why all the fooking drama? Live or die

Figure of speech

130. arnie says:

anybody’s money on the Spuds bottling it tomorrow? 😛

Dippers needed a goal to stay in it anyway.

132. fatgingergooner says:

Henderson, head like 50p. Shocking miss.

Matic is bossing this game. Top class.

It is wrong to like Diego Costa? He doesn’t take s*** from anyone. I would love him at Arsenal.

Following on from our chat today, every bit of the things we most dislike and – ahem – some of the disreputable behaviour some of us said was endemic in football, with the diving, deliberate fouling by ‘taking one for the team’ (and the shitty manager) — and also one I forgot to mention today the attempts to ‘buy’ a foul or a penalty, has been paraded in the game tonight.

I hate to say this but I have found it enthralling! 🙂 Ooer.

Freudian ‘It is’ instead of ‘Is it’, fgg?

Why the feck did Brenda bring Balotelli on?

136. fatgingergooner says:

This has taken a lot out of both teams. Extra time plus injuries to Fabregas and Sakho.

Both have tough games on Saturday as do Spuds and City. Hopefully we can take advantage.

137. fatgingergooner says:

Yes Chas, that meant to say ‘is it’.

The difference between the teams has been Hazard.

I hate his falling over (diving) but he is a fantastic player – fast approaching Messi, Ronaldo territory.

139. arnie says:

Ginga having a fight with his inner self! 😛

140. fatgingergooner says:

Safer to fight myself than fight Costa! He’s a nutcase! Good player though.

141. arnie says:

Ginga. 🙂

OK, which is preferable? (1) Spuds to lose tomorrow, Chavs get one more game (2) Spuds win tomorrow, Chavs defeat Spuds over another 120 mins + penalties. Obviously, I prefer the second. 😛

142. arnie says:

went to see this show tonight. not bad at all, infact, pretty good. 🙂

A Musical Arnie? That was the Wife’s idea wasn’t it 🙂

arnie
    That sounds like hell on Earth to me.

145. arnie says:

Yes, Micky, Mrs Arnie and my American host’s wife were the co-conspirators. I was looking for tickets for an opera in Chicago. That plan is shelved for the moment. 😛

But, how did you know? personal experience? 🙂

146. arnie says:

Chas. Cirque du Soleil meets Broadway. 😛

151. arnie says:

Chas. That Australian lake photo is impressive. 🙂

OK, have to sleep a bit. laters. 🙂

Silly Brighton post sent to Nuts for a quiet day.

“Cirque du Soleil meets Broadway”

They take the two worst live options on earth and blend them into one. Dear Lord 😦

Oh God, you know who will be getting up to light the fire any minute

I turned off after the Chavs scored. Couldn’t bear to see that smug bastard’s mug

Raddy – me too, went to bed 🙂

158. Shard says:

Raddy

The commentator’s words at the final whistle were ‘Jose Mourinho has brought back the winning mentality at Chelsea’

Micky – I know zilch about music and for years went to see musicals with friends, too ashamed to admit I hated them (musicals). I was such a silly mouse, yuk

So what’s the latest with Gabriel?

Such is the arse-licking medias response to Me-rinho. 4 days ago ago “a disgrace”, today a resurrection of phoenix proportions.

Bloody hell, Panic Stations

Just realised only four days of window left open 😦

Where’s Cavani?

I see Costa left his stamp on the game last night, it will be a travesty if the FA do not ban him after stamping twice on opponents

Eddie
    It’s not about “knowing” music, it’s about “feeling” the stuff in dem bones of yours
    It’s why Yellow Submarine is so awful as all it does is make your mother’s foot tap gently 🙂

They are now saying on the radio that South Americans are streetfighters and like Suarez, Costa is just fighting for his team. How is it that Sanchez manages to play without biting or stamping then?

Rasp

I watched about an hour of the game last night, and apart from the fact that it was very exciting, I actually don’t rate Costa (the footballer) that highly

Am I missing something?

Rasp – Yeah! Did you see it how he skilfully jumps over an opponent and lands with one foot on the victim’s ankle? Sorry fgg, he is a disgrace and I would hate to have him wearing our shirt

If you take a volatile player like Costa, and then put him under a manager like Maureen Who will also win at any cost of then you have a Very high chance of this kind of behaviour

Morning Micky, I do rate Costa for all the good things he does, but he’s a nasty piece of work, I’d take Sanchez over him any day.

Incidentally, how rubbish was balotelli when he came on? I remember you and I being quite keen on him last summer – dodged a bullet there 🙂

Streetfighters? What absolute bollocks. It is petulance. There is nothing in their actions which benefit the team as there is a likelihood they will be punished.

Just excuses for terrible parenting both by their natural parents and their managers..

But like FGG I would love Costa at Arsenal 🙂

Hi Raddy, I think its fair to say that Sanchez, Costa and Suarez all share the same work ethic on the pitch – 100% for effort and if that is borne from their struggles when young you can understand it. It is then up to their managers to steer that thirst for success in the right direction. Sanchez was not a dirty player before he came to us so AW didn’t need to worry, but Maureen?

Hey Rasp

I wanted Balotelli
    Thought Arsene was a rubbish appointment when made manager
    Thought Persie was useless and would never make it at Arsenal
    And would have signed Laudrup as manager ages ago

However, where I’m definitely right, is that Cavani should be our striker 🙂

You may be right Micky, but it aint gonna happen 😛

What is going to happen …. has happened, is that we have a …..

…. New post ….

174. What’s up, I desire to subscribe for this webpage to get
    hottest updates, so where can i do it please help.