The Mods defeat the Rockers …. Brighton 2-3 Arsenal

Firstly, the result. A 3-2 winning scoreline can only be bettered by a 4-3, a 5-4,  and so on.

Seven changes from a side that went away to beat the current League Champions, and with that, the current Cup Holders marched on into today’s draw.

When so many changes are made, we’re looking at squad depth, and players returning from injuries.

Recently, Mozart and Santi have been the heartbeat of the side, and yesterday Thomas continued his incredible run of form, coming out by some distance as Man of the Match.

Mixing up centre back pairings is always an excellent idea if you want a little excitement when taking on some lower league minnows, and yesterday the plan worked to perfection. From 2-0 up, the changes had the desired effect with Brighton twice scrambling back into the game to give us the exciting climax we all enjoyed so much.

Most Arsenal eyes will have been on the returning Mesut and Theo, and mine were no exception.

Really, there were no great surprises. Theo continued to blow away a few cobwebs, and began with a typically clinical finish. As far as I’m concerned, the thought of Alexis suffering a long termer without the goals of Theo is terrifying, so great to see Theo back on the score sheet.

Mesut: looks stronger for sure, but as with last season, I don’t believe we will ever see the best of him without a fast striker through the middle.

As for the rest of the side, well, ok performances, nothing outstanding but enough to provide an enthralling encounter. RC78 said more or less the same thing in his player ratings, but the most accurate for me was on Ollie: industrious but not dangerous. We played some wonderful moves during the ninety yesterday, and if I was going to be critical it would be the finishing.

This should have been a less exciting 5-2.

MickyDidIt89

186 Responses to The Mods defeat the Rockers …. Brighton 2-3 Arsenal

1. ‘morning all, I’m with you Micky, the mix-and-match back four is a recipe for disaster, or a thrilling match. Yesterday’s result may have been even closer if that nice man from Northumbria had given the penalty against Chambers.

What a stunner from Little Mozart!

2. Mr Mdi89 – you got that completely wrong.

The Rockers won last night as the scorer of the winning goal is a 100% rocker, Tomas “Rocking” Rosicky.

Other than that a good “feelings” post.

Hi chary … my bad, the headline was my idea. I just thought we are the ‘modern’ footballers and Brighton Rock 😦

4. Ha ha Raspers, I guessed it was some reference to that film(before my time so I am ignorant of it) I just didn’t want my favourite footballing heavy rocker being unfairly maligned as a mod.

Did you see him play a snatch of “Battery” by Metallica on one of the Xmas videos on Arse.com ?

I did see that chary – I think he should stick to football 😆

6. Cheeky – he’s not that bad a player.

And speaking as a fellow live performer I can say that. 🙂

He did have a rather pathetic small amp though.

7. RC78 says:

We are playing in a real 4-2-1-3 nowaways instead of a 4-1-2-3 and it has stabilized the team a bit but it has also allowed players like Santi and Rosicky to shine as they can really focus on creating chances and on finding the pockets of space between the opponent’s lines…The down side is that it limits Ramsey’s offensive inputs as he is played alongside the real DM (Coquelin or Flam).

The question is what do we do now with the return of Walcott and Mesut…

Our best XI at the moment is clearly:

Ospina – Chambs, BFG, Kos, Gibbs – Ramsey, Coquelin – Santi – Ox, Giroud, Sanchez

Players that can make a strong push for a starting berth are clearly Walcott/Ozil/Wellbeck (once fully fit) and Rosicky who has been on a good run lately…

While Walcott will compete with Ox and Wellbeck with Giroud – Ozil and Rosicky will compete with Santi…That is going to be tough for AW. That said, great options to have. I think AW is going to have to play it safe with the players returning from injuries as well as keep the momentum of in-form players…Going to be interesting to see his team management skills.

With Campbell going on loan, I am a bit worried that we are lacking a bit of numbers upfront but Walcott and Sanchez can also play strikers…Anyways…

8. RC78 says:

Grosskreutz targeted by AW…He can play left/right back, left mid and central midfield. He is very industrious and can add steel to our team. At 3.7 Mln pounds, he is a steal…

I see your heels are dug right in RC about Bellerin, seems as though there is no changing your mind on that one 🙂

10. Topaz says:

RC78, you forgot Bellerin who I think is much more faster and cunny than chambers.

I suppose I should concede that the problem with trying to pick your best eleven is that it is dependent on the opposition.

A team to play Hull at home, for example, would be a lot different to one that plays Chelsea away.

Or at least it should be…………..

Oh yes, the Bellerin fan club are coming out in numbers now.

13. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all, nice one Micky, Mods and Rocker’s boy that brings back memories.
    Good result in the end, Players returning and some rested, Rotating players on a regular basis will become better as they get used to one another. I would be surprised if Wenger uses a regular rotating squad, so big changes seem to happen in domestic cup games.

I watched a few Arsenal misfits this weekend and many did quite well with their current clubs, Good luck to them. I must say a wins a win but i would rather a 2.0 comfy win to an exciting 2.3 was just getting to like clean sheets.

Hoping for a nice home draw the easier the better.

I have just read the post and may I say politely say that it is a fine a match report. Thank you Micky.

It’s interesting that some are still talking about the possibility of more signings, nothing wrong with that, of course, the more shiny new toys the better; but, I can’t see it happening in this window which made me think about the likelihood of signings in the summer which in turn made me realise that I can’t see past one signing, if any.

Goal keepers: no we have enough.
    RB: no we have enough.
    CB: with two new signings, we now have enough.
    LB: we have enough.
    AM: we are chock full of them.
    Attack: again chock full.

DM/HM: possibly, Flamini and Diaby are out of contract so I expect them to depart. Arteta is getting on and will play less and less. There is a case that we already have enough: Coquelin to simply replace Flamini and Wilshere to replace Arteta but if big money is to be spent this is where I would like to see it deployed.

In a nut shell, as far as signings over the age of 17 go this summer, I can only see one, tops.

16. Bellerin versus Chambers, I’m tending towards the former at the moment.

Watching yesterday I thought Chambers got drawn towards the middle a bit too easily, I think his instinct is more centre-back than full back. At the other end he skinned the Brighton full-back and laid on a lovely cross for Walcott to convert.

I believe Bellerin has a bit more pace and is equally good going forward and holds his position better.

Lovely succinct match report Micky, thanks, you’ve said it all.

On paper the players should have won easily. Factor in that it was the FA cup and what had gone on the day before, and we have to be happy. Making 7 changes is always going to make a team performance more difficult.

On yesterday’s showing, I’d say Ospina is ahead of Sz in the GK ranking now. He’s more composed and his decision making is better. That’s not to say that Sz won’t come good again, but at this juncture in the season, we need reliability between the posts.

LB, maybe the signing of Paulista will make Coquelin think about signing a new contract – or not? It could have either effect.

Paulista hasn’t played as a DM, but I have a sneaking feeling that AW may see him in that position eventually – he can play on either side, big, quick, strong, defends by instinct but likes going forward.

19. RC78 says:

I am still not convinced by Bellerin. I think he is still very much perfectible tactically and technically. His positional awaress is very weak defensively and he is not a great tackler but he has great speed and quite good crossing ability…If he develops well defensively, he could be a good back up at RB…At this stage, I like Chambers better although he also needs to improve…That said, Chambers is a good back-up at CB…

20. RC78 says:

Paulista coming as a CB for sure…I think the idea is to have the following defenders (in capital – the starters when fit):

DEBUCHY, Bellerin, BFG, Chambers, KOS, Paulista, GIBBS, Monreal

The question is: what will we do with Jenks when he is back? Do we sell him or do we keep him and loan out Bellerin? Jenks is solid…

My guy feeling is that Chambers may be seen as a DM next year…but Paulista is not good enough on the ball to play DM…that is for sure. He is like a Koscielny but his ball skills are closer to BFG’s…

Hi RC78, you see things in a very black and white way 😛

Admittedly Paulista is a defender, but you have to ask yourself where does AW see him fitting in with our other defensive options? – especially Chambers. We have seen Chambers tried at DM without much success, it wouldn’t be beyond the realms of possibility for AW to try Paulista in that position is all I’m saying. Either way he’s a great player to have who can definitely do the job at CB once acclimatised to the EPL.

Chambers has been skinned for pace a couple of times which have cost us goals, no such problem with Bellerin. The Catalan is also better at getting forward. The one area that Chambers is better is when we are defending set pieces: the more height the better.

Assuming both are fit, it should be interesting who Wenger picks for the Villa game.

I agree LB. Chambers does not have the pace for a RB who is required to go forward – although he put in a great cross for the goal yesterday. This is my point, if Chambers isn’t destined to be first choice RB, then presumably it would be CB for him – and then we buy Paulista.

I love a bit of back up, but Paulista is a £13m player. If we assume Per will be dropping down the pecking order next season, that leaves kozzer, Chambers and Paulista vying for 2 places. I guess this is also insurance in case kozzer stalls on a new contract or just wishes to leave.

But I like my Paulista for DM theory – there is absolutely no evidence for this at all except you can imagine AW having seen something in his play that others may have missed.

Well if Wenger views Paulista as a possible DM/HM that means no new signings at all this summer.

Boooooooooooooo

Chambers was played once as HM, true, it wasn’t that good but to judge a player on one game would be a bit harsh, I mean Coquelin has had plenty of duff’uns before everything changed at the Etihad.

OK, I am going to whisper this: I don’t think Chambers has a future at Arsenal.

Again true LB, but if you believe the stories in the press (why would you!) Coquelin is asking for assurances regarding appearances and I don’t think any manager likes that approach. Coquelin has had some very good games recently and seems to have come of age. Every player needs to earn his place in the side.

Also whispering … I think you may be right unless he’s happy to be a bench warmer in the big games.

It wouldn’t bother me if Coquelin left; we can do better.

We are at last able to buy from the top shelf: Sanchez, Ozil. Ok, so we still don’t get first pick but it is the top shelf nevertheless. We must apply this new way of doing things to solving the perennial DM/HM position.

That’ll be Carvalho then 🙂

It could be.

But it should be big good, Khadira good, although, he may be getting a bit old now. I don’t know all the names of the potential candidates, others on here are better informed.

32. I don’t think either Bellerin or Chambers are particularly good tacklers. But then there are very few players anywhere that are..

Almost all tackles result in a foul being called, it’s notable, listening to comentaries, that the rarity of a good tackle is praised almost as much as a good shot at goal.

Tackling is a dying art, it’s being “refereed” out of existence.

Anyone want to take a bet that Chambers will be our DM by the age of , say 23?

Hi Raddy, do you think that Paulista has been bought as a 1st choice CB then? His price tag and previous experience would suggest yes. Is Chambers going to be a better CB than Kozzer in 2 years? – maybe. Is Kozzer staying? Are any of the 3 happy to be 3rd choice CB – who knows 🙂

35. RC78 says:

BR – I agree with you…I think AW sees Chambers, Bielik as our DMs in the future but what to do with Zelalem then?

I’d forgotten about Bielik, yes he certainly is a prime candidate for future DM role – that blows my Paulista theory out of the water. OK, I’m back to my Kozzer is leaving in the summer conspiracy 😕

We really do have an exciting crop of players coming through. Like LB says, at the moment, you can’t see much need for us to delve into the transfer market at all this summer.

NorfolkG. I am reading a book about Bobby Moore, probably England’s best ever defender. He says that a tackle is very much the last resort as it takes you out of the game. His chosen method was to shepherd a player out of a dangerous area and/or limit his passing options.

I am delighted that the Barton/Savage type brutality is disappearing from the game. It allows us to see the dribbling brilliance of Santi and Alexis who in the old days would have been kicked into Row Z.

Gilberto Silva hardly ever made a tackle but was the best defensive MF we have had for many years.

Could be a subject for a post …… Would you like to write it?

Great comment Raddy, I agree wholeheartedly. Hold your fire on developing it any further as I have a post tomorrow on a related subject 🙂

40. Multi-tasking and rotation. The watchwords of modern football.

Squads may have a core of older, single position players, but younger squad members will have to adapt to playing in at least two positions and be prepared to accept being rotated.

Football today is too intense, with too many games for a player to be able to play the majority of matches in a season.

Rasp. I think AW is buying a team for his successor at AFC – he doesn’t want a repeat of the disaster when SAF gave Moyes a poisoned chalice.

And that could be another post!!

42. RC78 says:

Kos will stay with us unless Barcelona or Bayern Munich come knocking…With us, he is sure to start and he wants to be a starter unlike Vermaelen…Bayern Munich could be ready to sell Boateng or Dante or the other German CB (forgot his name) so Kos could then join them but I don’t think he will go to a club to be nr.3 or nr.4….

On tackles – I think that as a defender, you need to be a great tackler. Not only do you need to isolate the players in non-dangerous areas and be good at anticipating and positioning, but you need tackling skills. Kos is getting better at it although he is still prone to red cards…But IMHO, you can t be a great defender without being good at tackling…It is usually the last resort but you need to be good at it…The good full-backs have the whole pallet, not only positioning and isolating of the attacker, they can also tackle…Lahm, Alaba, Sergio Ramos (when he plays RB), Azpi, Ivanovic…

Just on my home team side (PSG) – Thiago Silva is back in shape but David Luiz is really a liability…

43. aizedlittlemozart says:

what’s the world turning into? early season it was Ramsey is shite, santi is shite, per is double shite, monreal is shite, arteta is metuselah, ozil is a fraud, giroud is a donkey, chambers is gold, flamini should be ahead of arteta, welbz is the new Henry, why is rosicky being “frozen out”, poldi too, Campbell should bench santi, why did we buy an injured keeper who only just had a good tournament, etc, loads of etc…..

now…scezzer should be sold (& is shite), ospina is the real deal (after only 4 matches, just like Martinez was = Oliver Khan after a similar short run), chambers is now no good @ right back (remember telling those praising him to high heavens to also remember to have his back when the inevitable loss of form & 19yr old inexperience comes),
    bellerin (who was dealt with against Dortmund) is now the best thing since bread, santi is star dust again, sanchez (who was losing balls so much when he 1st came, and still is, that AW benched him) can do no wrong. Rosicky is everybody’s daddy (AW rightly preserved him for this period of the season), theo is fit & immediately we can now see(?) joel’s purpose, option till theo was fit (& ozil too).

ITS CALLED FORM people!!!!

we can’t keep changing our opinions of players so radically & extremely whenever they are in bad form.

i remember Nathaniel Clyne’s goal in the capital one cup being fired straight @ ospina & thinking “scezzer wouldda stopped that”. all’s forgotten now er?….

apparently our “most clinical striker” aint being so clinical over at inter despite a “run of games”.

good win yesterday, kept the winning momentum up as well as both individual confidence (theo & ozil) & team confidence.

there are goals where we can blame the keeper, none of yesterday’s is an example. he’s the golden glove holder is woj. perspective pips…perspective. remember hart & casillas of a few seasons back & remember that even worldies have off seasons.

flam has had a bad season so far, but has had good games too….

Ramsey? we’ve been here before

yesterday was another reason for the little Mozart to be my favourite arsenal player of all time!

Onwards to villa!!! #coyg #littlemozart #aizedisback #aha&amen

Ps; rant is not aimed at any one person in particular

Hi aized – I think you’re missing the point of football blogsites – its so we can all talk Bollix 😆

I don’t, I think Wenger is going to be rewarded by the Board with a massive war chest (it’s already started) for his patience during the lean years. That’s to say that Wenger will not leave and the board will not want him to leave before he has won the league again.

46. BR, Bobby Moore, certainly one of the greats.

I too would welcome the demise of the thug element, it’s just a pity that BT Sport has employed that pillock Savage as a means to completely ruin my enjoyment of televised games with his boorish comments.

That aside, there are times when a tackle is called for, a well timed and expertly executed one is a joy to watch, it’s the “cut ’em off at the knees” type that need to be banished.

As to your suggestion about a post, I’m going away for a couple of weeks soon, a nine hour flight will give me time to compose my thoughts, perhaps when I get back.

… or better still the Champion’s League LB ….

48. aizedlittlemozart says:

that will be my truck load of bollix then guv hehe…..

might have gotten even more defensive of the players in my absence

Nice report, Micky.
    I love the idea of rotating the CBs to add a little excitement into the game and the plan coming to fruition.

Did anyone see Phil Snivel on MOTD2 saying that if Rosicky had done the ‘look the wrong way’ pass thing in a training game, he would have gone over and ‘two-footed’ him?
    This from a moron who, along with his brother, kicked Reyes off the pitch at the Old Cowshed.
    Masturbator extreme.

I am not sure Wenger is convinced that it is possible to plan to win the CL because of the amount of luck involved. Liverpool, need I say more.

But the league is different. Any team capable of winning the EPL should be strong enough to win the CL.

Oh and there’s no way that Arsenal are greasy rockers.
    We are cool mods who like the best music and best styles.

Precisely chas

53. stevepalmer1 says:

Interesting reading, i like the way you all look at the permutations,, I believe we will continue with our buying, and when Wenger says he will only buy players he feels will be better than what we have already. Maybe Wenger is feeling that players he buys will be better than what he has for the future would be a better way of looking at it,

At present Rosiski is probably one of the best we have, but his age suggests that he may start to show signs of slowing up, To have players who he uses sparingly makes that conundrum a worthwhile view, Per Merts also now retired from international football suggests he also is on the clock. The two players we have enlisted will not mind a little wait until they see regular inclusion.

I feel Wenger is looking to have cover for all positions, and with the amount of games in one season there’s no reasons why all players cannot be used.

I would agree that Chambers and le Coq still have a bit of learning to do but i don’t believe Wenger expected them to play quite so many games but for unforeseen circumstances they were pushed forward..

I do believe we are very close to our best team, injuries has jeopardise our progress but with new signings we can only improve.

The Man city game showed that we are emerging, and adapting our first half performance was outstanding yesterday. the squad has started to come together and exciting times are ahead,.

LB, AW definitely wants to leave his mark further in Arsenal’s history (obviously he has done that already). Did you see him being asked if he wanted to win the FA cup to become the manager who has won it the most times – he said yes of course. I bet given the chance he’d prefer to be the first manager to win the CL with Arsenal. I think we are currently better set up to win knock out competitions as opposed to the league.

Bang on. We are The Mods.

56. David Stewart says:

I could not believe Phil Neville’s critism of Rosicky on MoTD2 last night. He said he should have been taken out with a two footed challenge for having the creative audacity to look one way whilst passing the other. Even the other pundits looked dumbfounded by the stupidity of Neville. Surely the BBC won’t continue with him as an anaylst…

There seemed to be a bit of a trend yesterday with this “take the player out” comments from the pundits; Savage started it in the afternoon and it wouldn’t surprise me if Snivel was told to say something like that by the BBC for it’s shock value and to keep up with the Jones’s over at BT.

Still a banned word though.

Good news about Gabriel Armando de Abreu’s work visa.

60. RC78 says:

Snivel is a Tw@t..and an idiot…He was so out of line yesterday when he said that…Sure Mozart was being cocky but does that deserve a beating?…He is such an idiot that Snivel…

61. RC78 says:

That is it…Gabriel deal is done with the work permit being granted 🙂 Tall and pacy CB who is rough on the man…Let us see…

Now we need a DM and we can get rid of our Flaminis and Artetas

62. RC78 says:

Rosicky is still fresh for his age because he hardly played…This is the fittest he has been since he joined us so I think he s going to be a great utility player for us

AFC must be happy with the Greek election results. Sterling valued at €1.34, the highest since 2008 🙂

Happy Days

64. Well I don’t want to be a mod.

So there.

65. fatgingergooner says:

Work permit in the bag so new signing imminent. Don’t know much about him but well chuffed we have signed a CB. Similar signing to when Kos arrived, if he turns out to be as good we have a real bargain.

Squad is starting to take shape now, and with the emergence of Coquelin we are looking solid in almost every department.

If you ignore the papers and use your eyes, you can see things are on the up at Arsenal.

Damnation. I only get on AA late and read a nice Post from the Micky, demanding we mix it, and then in between some very good comments, as per usual, I see there is a terrific thread between Raper and LB.

Now that highlights my problem. I am too easily swayed, first one way, ‘Love -15′ to Rasp, then the other way, ’15 – all’, with a recovery from LB and so on.

[And whisper it — I am not sure what happened to the early season promise from Chambers — but I cannot see him bought last summer for big bananas, and then sold next summer.

On the other hand, I do not know where he best fits at the moment.

I think there will be movement in the transfer market next summer, because as sure as eggs are tomatoes, certain players will move on.

Who?
    –I feel Chezzer will want to go, or AW will want him to go — replacement Keeper needed?

— I am not sure about Coq, because as LB said, he has been unimpressive on loan, wherever he has been, and he might want to cash in on his new found fame before he is found out.

— The injury problems persistently affecting Monreal and Gibbs could see someone brought in as a new left back Numero Uno, or as a back up. That position has been so unstable.

— I can see Per going – and that might be where either Chambers or Gabriel will play — and that would need another backup CB?

— Lumping the Midfielders together, I think Flam, Arteta, Rosicky and perhaps even Theo going — not because they are bad players, but because there are better out there. I don’t know specifics, but there always are – don’t you find?

Before anyone sends the men in white coats for me, I freely admit that this is probably bollix, but it does show there is room for manoeuvres in the dark. 😀

Ummmm……….oops 😳 Raper = Rasper

Well even that looks a bit weird. It was just a typo magnus! Sorry, sorry. 😦

Hi CharyB, 🙂

Quite right – you do not want to be a Mod — and if Neanderthal suits you – who is going to stand up against your club? 🙂

RA. Chary has a leather jacket. He is a rocker whereas I have a Harrington jacket with a tartan lining which of course makes me a mod . And for many years I had a Lambretta (actually it was a Vespa – same, same but different)

Raddy,

Leather Jackets are the pupae phase of Daddy Long Legs, so are you saying that CharyB is a latent modish Dandy Daddy?

As for you — give Harrington back his jacket you tea leaf!! 🙂

71. Hi Redders me ‘ole mucker, while I do have a leather jacket I don’t particularly like motor bikes which makes me odd in that respect.

I do know that I find mods poseurs and a bit too snooty for my liking ha ha.

I once had a ‘scooter’ which was ancient but beautifully well kept – got it for next to nothing — and it was called a Durkopp Diana.

It had a 4 speed, floor mounted gearbox with a 200cc engine and was a Vespa and Lambretta eater.

Don’t really know what a Mod or a Rocker was?

Sadly, I came off the bike so many times that my father, god bless him, made me get rid of it, and he bought me a small, second hand Mini instead.

Loved that too.

But, CharyB, weren’t tMods Hippies like Raddy?

He, it seems to me, could be an insouciant poser, a bit like Alan A’Dale the minstrel who strummed for Robin Hood, but snooty? Surely not! 🙂

In my massive missive at 3:45, I deliberately did not mention Wilshere and Debouchy, thinking I would leave something for my fellow bloggers to remark on — but it seems to no avail.

Ahh RA, you have me to a T 🙂

RA. There was so much I disagreed with in your 3.45, I didn’t know where to start …. so I didn’t. 😉

77. Redders, Ha ha, Big Dandy as a minstrel !

To be honest the whole Mods/Rockers thing is a bit confusing to me also partly because it was mainly before my time. I do recall there being a few mods at school, but they were outnumbered by the punks..

Needless to say I didn’t fit in with either group, as per usual.

Hi Redders, I thought LB and I were batting for the same side 😕

Chary, you bath too frequently to be a rocker….

Buddha on a Bike!! I forgot to thank Didit for his entertaining post.

Now we have bagged a Brazilian there will be less panic when changing our CB pairing

81. RC78 says:

I think this summer we will see:

– Monreal, Diaby, Arteta and Flamini leave for sure.

I also think that PiG will hand in a transfer request and so will Jenkinson and Podolski.

As for BFG and Walcott, they are comfy with us and provide us with good options so they will stay.

If Monreal leave, I think Grosskreutz will come in for sure as he is a versatile player that can cover 4 positions and he wants EPL action.

Only critical question marks are Cazorla and Ozil. If one leaves, the other will stay.

Nice one Micky

For the first minutes we were outstanding, both on and of the ball

The highlight for me was Giroud, who worked tirelessly to track back and close down. The big nosed git is obviously jealous of the attention Sanchez is getting and us trying to emulate his passion

Mods are a bunch of skinny twerps who spawned the metrosexual era and Rockers a bunch of horrendous wankers doing the be bop er lula.

In my youth I was a Hells Angel. I had a pony tail and mono eyebrow in those days so people knew not to mess. Its a well know fact that a mono brow and strong creases on the forehead are the sign of a paranoid schizophrenic, and ime proud to say I had the whole deal going on.

As you age though Micky, the look is not so good. Many time I have overheard people remark “Look Pete, its the Neanderthal man out looking for meat again”, “Yeah I know Dave, they should get him tested, probably the missing link? Either that or just a right ugly Bastard”

83. RC78 says:

Asier Illarramendi is available for 18 Mln pnds…24 yo central midfielder with quite a grit and defensive ruggidness from Real Madrid

84. Having problems getting onto the internet… wi fi a bit iffie here 🙂

Music defined in which direction you took, Mods went into the later drug influenced Who, Small Faces and then Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and the like.The Rockers went into heavy metal, Uriah Heap, Deep Purple. Butb then there was the cross over, those confused buggers who didn’t know which way to go, so went into Punk.

RC78, I find your transfer salivation very amusing. hahaha

And the only thing that spoiled the image, Terry, was the bouffant, folks dot dress you insisted on wearing!!!! Cock-a-Doodle told me!! 😀

Randy — you disagreed with my 3:45 – ow exciting! 😀

Tell me which bits and I will change them. Of course, if it is everything, I will liberally dash ‘not’-s everywhere.

You know me — very shallow — and my final para says it all!! 🙂

Rasper,

I did not say that you and LB were at odds – far from it – but as one made a point, the other matched it and the conversation moved forward — it was like an interesting skein of informed opinion! 😀

Yes, youve caught me out Redders. The closest ive come to a Hells Angel is when some bloke on a Motor Bike dragged me out of the car and humiliated me in front of a crowd by making me recite “driving lessons tomorrow for Bowl haircut”

I fully admit to been a fearful coward who would be hard pushed to gain acceptance in a Chicken pen.

No one wanted me in there gang, even the local Branch of the North London Accountants rejected me.

90. I love Redders for introducing words like Skein……………. the blog should have a Redders Word of th Day 🙂

Thanks for the clarification Redders – it was the tennis analogy that threw me, you don’t normally record a score of 15 love when on the same side of the net as your opponent 😀

I’ve never been skein

93. Skein Head perhaps 🙂

Yes, definitely that NB – its a solar panel for a sex machine 😕

I think Redders secretly used to write for Reader’s Digest … it would explain a lot 😆

Guess who’s the ref for our next game against Villa?
    Let’s hope he surprises us like Mike Dean did.

Anthony Taylor … Thorny anal toy …..

Tyrant ah loony

Try Annoy Loath

Hi chas, any chance you could let me have the updated assists pls, I hope to have time to put them up this evening

RC

That is a very interesting comment at 4.50.

The thing is though, can you really see Monreal being offered a better wage package than he is already getting at THOF? I can’t, that almost certainly being that case, why or how is he likely to leave.

Same goes for Arteta when I think about it.

The others you mention are different because, as you obviously know, their contracts come to an end.

Ha ha, love the Mod:Chary lines.

The Mod: Tailored Jacket.100% Wool. £700. Saville Row.
    Chary: Biker Jacket. 100% Leatherette. £79.99. Bill’s Bikes Balham

🙂

Cup draw 7:00 on telly

Still no announcement of the Gabriel signing — problems maybe?

Middlesborough

106. fatgingergooner says:

Boro at home.

Any home draw was a bonus, so happy with that.

It seems a few of the other ‘favourites’ have tough away ties so it’s all good.

FA Cup draw

Preston North End or Sheffield United v Cambridge United or Manchester United

Derby County v Reading

Blackburn Rovers v Rochdale or Stoke City

Bradford City v Sunderland or Fulham

West Bromwich Albion v West Ham

Aston Villa v Leicester City

Arsenal v Middlesbrough

Crystal Palace v Liverpool or Bolton

Updated assists sent.

Boro home. Easy. 🙂

Chas
    Did you like Brighton?

111. Bayonne Jean says:

Do we need to remind anyone that the official for the last home contest vs. Villa — the opening game of last season which Arsenal lost and saw the blogosphere blow up — was…

ANTHONY TAYLOR !!!!! The ultimate twat!

Yep. loved it, though a journey through some our cultural heritage it was not. 🙂
    We did see Brighton Pavilion from the bus!.

Boro home. Easy.
    ‘Swot Citeh thought.

(Unless 5th round goes to a replay or we get to Q/F and get drawn away)

One of the highlights of the 4th Round so far.

My word. Shawcross is an ugly man. Looks like a throwback – a proper minger

Rasp/Peaches,

I’ve E mailed you a post. It will have to be used in the next 4 days.

121. fatgingergooner says:

Didn’t realise Akpom was out of contract in the summer. Apparently he’s already had pre contract offers from abroad. I hope a Wenger can persuade him to stay as he looks as good a prospect as Sanogo, if not better.

122. arnie says:

Chas @ 9:16. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. 🙂

123. arnie says:

OK, Micky, lovely stuff. 🙂 still knot ear, but what a day of discussions to miss. 🙂

the miss I do not regret though is missing the blizzard. 🙂 but fcukin cold it is. brass monkey weather. 🙂

I have plenty to rant about in my professional life, so I will shake the monkeys off. 😦

These barstewards have given me two classes, one with 200 students, and the other 100, completely heterogeneous, so making progress is nearly impossible. Plus 2 doctoral students, one has just found a boyfriend, and the other just passed his driving test. bloody insane. Not to metion the politics.

I have been following AA though, with great pleasure. But NB’s site is off limits. NSFW, plus I am living on campus, so it is off bounds at home as well. 😦

124. arnie says:

However, two things, Brighton done, ha ha ha, Boro next, ha ha ha.

Altogether now. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. 🙂

125. arnie says:

and I hear we have some new toys as well. ha ha ha ha. 🙂

what? no new toys in the summer? bolleaux. 🙂 surely not true.

having beefed up the back-side, now is the time to strengthen the boner. we need a top billing ST, not a used and discarded numpty, but a fresh new shiny toy not tainted by evil influence elsewhere.

Preferably, better than 20 GAYG (Twenty goals a year Giro). And forget that chicken dance master. Not even fit to mention in the same sentence as Ollie. At least not until he scores 20 goals in a season. 🙂

Chambers a goner? eh? dont think so. Coq a goner? dont think so either. if they are so important as not to fight for a place in THOF, they are worthless numpties anyway. 🙂

Now now Arsene, well done so far. But lets focus on CL now, shall we? Plus 4th place trophy and FA Cup, please. COYG. 🙂 🙂 🙂

126. arnie says:

127. arnie says:

And the Lord said to Gabriel: “‘Proceed against the bastards and the reprobates, and against the children of fornication: and destroy [the children of fornication and] the children of the Watchers from amongst men [and cause them to go forth]: send them one against the other that they may destroy each other in battle: for length of days shall they not have.” —1 Enoch 10:9

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel) unshamedly pilfered from 7amKO. 😛

micky – feelings post? oh you cold fish 🙂

I am not sure about ‘we were never in danger’ bit. At 2:3 it was a close shave, one more goal from them and we would be having a gay parade in Islington next month. No, we did well, through to the next round, no injuries, couple of key players rested, all good stuff.

that oofing Maurinho is trying to outdo Bill Shankley now! “it is a live or die game” against Pool. It is only a bloody capitol cup you muppet. I hope he will lose tonight and die. Yeah, that’d be nice

Eddie
    There is nothing wrong with The Chavs having a Manager who makes them even more despised day by day 🙂

131. Good morning girlies 🙂

I’m on firelighting duty againd, -4c outside and only 8c inside. I’m wearing woolly knickers ha ha

A home game was the most important for the next round, ‘boro have had their moment of glory at City, they won’;t do it again

132. Eddie is up early….. must be the menapause 🙂

Chas
    Here’s a book for the collection: Mods. A very British Style
    Got me thinking, both Ray Davies (Kinks) and Daltrey (The Who) are both Gunners

Oh God, NB’s got a woman in the house and he’s playing Barry White 🙄

135. Micky, this is a better investigation into the social and psychological inticacies of the Mods and Rockers

WINGS!!!
    Seriously NB, wrong site matey
    I actually pushed Play to see if it was a wind up

137. Micky, got the radio on and it’s a 70’s station…. just posting the music as and when it’s played on the radio h aha ha

Probably very interesting NB, but less pictures 🙂

Also, probably written by an academic ie lives with his mother, can’t tie his own shoelaces and is terrified of the real world 🙂

139. Have you just described Arnie 🙂

140. I suppose a book with pictures is better for you and chas 🙂

Yes it is NB, you ‘effing smart arse 🙂

142. I’m just waiting for the fire to kick in, then I’ll be back off to bed for my reward 🙂

143. ha ha I’ve posted too many U tube links, now in moderation jail 🙂

Does she know precisely how sleazy you actually are, or is she still at the stage where she believes you think she’s special?

145. 🙂 micky, an artist can always make a woman feel special, not too hard to do when I make paintings of them naked and make it slightly more complimentary than the reality ha ha ha

Actually, respect NB. You have cracked the code. Log cabin. Snow. Fur blanket and a box of matches 🙂

147. arnie says:

eh? that sounds like Terry. ha ha. having his back scrubbed by his mom. 🙂

motning all. bloody cold night here. dehydration from excessive wine, up to get some water

148. arnie says:

good fun, mates. I miss the motning batner! 😦

Not you as well Arnie.
    Holed up somewhere with a woman and it’s freezing cold
    Go on then, get the matches 🙂

150. The clothing was excellent, but the hairstyles were naff

151. The fire is crackling nicely, well stocked with wood, back to bed. 🙂

152. arnie says:

no, Micky, not me, this flat is heated up like a fecking blast furnace. however, an ocassional breath of fresh air is painful. one thousand needles piercing every exposed part of the body. 🙂

Micky, your New Year promise going well? so far???? despite the excitement of the Shitty and Brighton games? 😛

Polish and a buffing machine are far simpler.

154. arnie says:

OK, back to bed then. 2:30AM here. Rasp post later today. will try and make a visit some time, even if only a fleeting visit. 🙂

I think NB is up in the mountains building a fur lined orgy pit.

Love the Willian pic,

159. OK, I’ve been up and now we’re up 🙂

Amelie has gone for the baguette and croissants, I’m putting more wood on the fire and it’s still -4c outside but has risen to a comfortable 15c in the house 🙂

Won;t be doing any walking today, my bloody knee went yesterday and is too painful… so a day in the house, oh dear, what shall we do, no TV to watch 🙂

Chas, I just put moisturizer on my head, I prefer Nivea

160. Now playing on the radio as I sit close to the fire to warm the brass monkeys

Nb – your dog is Amelie? That’s sweet 🙂

NB. Radio playing some fine stuff, apart from Indiana Wants me (though the lyrics are interesting set against a lush string section).

Nothing like a wood fire . So romantic and I love the smell – especially when using scented woods like pine or apple.

163. Bloody wi fi cut off… but now back on. Breakfast has arrived.

Raddy, we have oak wood for the fire… burns slow and hot

4 days of transfers left and we are still linked with one hundred players. Nobody seems to be over excited with Paulista

165. Now on the radio… excellent

166. Yvonne

I’m excited by Paulista… I think he is ideal for our defence. A good replacement for the BFG

he wouldn’t make it to any boy band, that’s for sure

Ugly is good. We have too many pretty boys in the team …

mind you, nor would Bielik,not an oil painting either, but less scary

Raddy – tell that to Peaches