The Kids are Alright

Is there a better away day to be had in Britain? Those of us lucky enough to have spent time in Brighton have a special attachment to it but not all memories are rosy ……

From the time I was 7 y.o. my parents had a summer house in Trafalgar Street which is in Kemptown about 10 minutes walk from the sea. To my dismay this meant that whilst my friends travelled abroad for their summer holidays I was forced to spend 6 weeks away from my friends in swinging North London. If I was lucky my best friend Robert was allowed to spend his holiday with us.

We were always playing football on the beach or cricket in the gardens around the Royal Pavilion. One evening Robert kicked the ball into the sea. This was a time when a football was precious, it cost at least a months pocket money and we watched in dismay as it floated off on it’s way to France. Stupidly, we decided to swim after it. Thankfully neither of us got hurt but we had to walk home in wet clothes and incur the wrath of my parents.

images-2

Danger Awaits

My last visit to Brighton was to spend time with my mother in her final days.

I learned much about life in Brighton; not to talk to strange men, not to be on the beach when the Mods and Rockers turned up, not to eat candy floss until it makes you sick, not to waste all my pocket money in the penny arcades, and later that is a long cycle to Brighton from Islington***  … enough of this – there is a game today!!

Given yesterday’s spectacular results we cannot go into the game with anything but total focus. Right now we can laugh at City, Spurs, MU, L’pool, S’ton,and especially Chelsea – we don’t want to reduce their fans hurt by being another victim of a lower league team.

Mr Wenger may be tempted to play a very young team and approach the game as a Capitol One Cup match but although are youngsters are full of potential I hope he plays safe

With the return to the first team of both Mesut and Theo we should be safe. It will be interesting to see what defence Mr Wenger picks – I would give BFG a rest and play Chambers. However, as Cup Holders we have to play our strongest team. No slip ups against a team who have struggled but will be desperate for a win. Plus they are managed by an old Miscreant, Chris Hughton – apparently a likeable chap but clearly mentally scarred from his time in the cess-pond.

I haven’t been to the Falmer Amex stadium, but I have friends who are Brighton S/T holders who tell me it can generate a lot of noise and today the ground is a sell-out. The team will be confident after beating high-flying Ipswich last time out. Hutton teams are generally sent out to play entertaining, fast passing football – he is unlikely to zaparkawac’ autobus

We are on a very good run and the win at the Etihad must have given huge confidence to the squad plus it seems we have shiny new CB.

**** This being a family site most of the lessons I learnt in Brighton will remain private 😇

COYRRG

written by Big Raddy

147 Responses to The Kids are Alright

Comment from last post …..

Steve Palmer

“Morning all,

I heard a whisper that a few foreign owners has their eyes out for possible new managers, funny how the press have not mentioned it.

Yes a few surprising results yesterday, and even Friday nights result was also an eye opener. Our trip to Brighton which i felt would be a game we should win, has me rethinking that an officials decision could easily swing the balance early in a game.

Arsenal have to have their thinking hats on, we have the players to bring home a good result, hopefully we will take the right players and do a workman like job.

I saw a few sending’s off yesterday, and also a few penalty claims turned down, Officials have had their instructions, and from what i have seen will probably continue today in the same vane, caution and professionalism should work in our favour”

2. gusmcmanus says:

Yesterday was hilarious.

3. ‘morning all, thank’s Raddy well up to your usual high standard.

A glance at yesterday’s results should be enough to instil a modicum of caution in our team. Let’s face it we’ve had our fair share of FA Cup banana skin moments in the past. Lower league teams have a habit of biting us in the arse.

That said I think, hope, we will be professional enough to get a win.

I hope Arsene doesn’t make too many changes, the’ve all had a week off and there is a full week to recover before the next game.

Two players who I think would benefit from a rest are Alexis and Santi, they could make way for Theo and Mesut.

C’mon The Glorous Gunners!!

4. rhyle says:

This may well have been your best yet Raddy.

Rhyl. Thank you. Perhaps because there is very little football in it!

Excellent PM Raddy. I agree we should put out a very string side with starts for Theo and Ozil. I expect Sz to be in goal.

We must be prepared for them to throw everything at us and for a hostile atmosphere.

The Who are my favourite rock band and so many of their song titles are relevant to today’s game. I expect us to win today and draw Bradford at home in the next round 🙄 Let’s hope Won’t get Fooled Again is the anthem for that game 🙂

7. I’m disappointed Raddish…. not one image of Fish and Chips 🙂

Well done Raddy, last time we went to the Amex Giroud scored a pearler and began his longish road to silencing his critics, hopefully Ozil will start today and do the same.

After yesterday’s results only a very unfavourable draw will present issues to us so we must focus on progressing and trying to add another bit of silverware to lighten the mood of the masses. We will probably field a mish mash side of squad, injury returning and regular first teamers. Let us see if it bodes better for us than Chavs yesterday, and then people will stop lauding Chavs squad as much as they seem to.

Although it should be said City played a fairly regular XI (Sagna can’t even get cup games….but it wasn’t about the money) and still struggled to lift themselves.

We have to impose ourselves on the game from the first minute and open the scoring to silence what will be a raucous crowd.

9. Fish and chips? Oh! 69, that is sooo last century? 😀

Fantastic Raddy

A sentimental journey for me too. Funny how our paths may have crossed. Found out this morning I was having “good times” with the same Lady as NB, and then like you, had my last memories a few years ago being with my Father when he died in hospital there.

Great place Brighton and a fine place for a Cup victory.

Back in time for KO

11. gusmcmanus says:

I hope Alexis gets a rest. I realise he isn’t a player particularly susceptible to ‘burn-out’ but 14 days break would still do him good I believe. And in any case, in Walcott, Ozil, Giroud etc we have world-class quality players to replace him. Keep him on the bench unless needed.

12. gusmcmanus says:

A selection of any from: Giroud, Walcott, Rosicky, Ramsey, Ozil, Ox, Cazorla in attack. Coquelin as holding mid. Give Chambers and Gibbs a run, and give Szceszney a game. Akpom and Alexis on the bench. If we’re down at the 65th minute bring on Alexis. If we’re sitting with a comfortable lead bring on Akpom.

All my humble opinion of course. Arsene often does something surprising in games like these.

13. chas mobile says:

Loving your seaside reminiscences, BR, ta.
    First point down. On the Magic Bus soon. 🙂

14. chas mobile says:

Ha, pint not point. Must a been strong.

Randy,

There was something nostalgic and moving about your reminiscences in the Pre-Match Post, and altho light on football, it was far more poignant for it.

I always like your Posts, and those telling us a little about your past experiences are absolutely fascinating and often bring responses from tricky Micky that make the pair of you feel even more like friends I have known for years.

You have proved that Shankly was wrong, there are things more important than football — and candy floss and penny arcades figure prominently – obviously!! 🙂

Hic — have another for me Chas! Nothing beats a smooth, cold point or two!! 🙂

Raddy 🙂 ja tez mam nadzieje ze Hughton nie zaparkuje autobusu 🙂 I lived in Brighton too, but am not particularly fond of the place.

I think you are right about Brighton boys being all fired up for the game, I’d say they would love a replay at the Emirates. Buy we definitely don’t want that, wenger has to play the strongest team. A MWG.

My first memory of Brighton wasn’t actually of Brighton itself, we studied Brighton Rock by Graham Greene for Eng Lang O level. It didn’t paint a very pretty picture of life in Brighton but a great story with ‘Kolley Kibber’ as the journalist and the baddie with the rather inappropriate name ‘pinkie’

We can see you
    We can see you
    We can see you holding hands
    We can see you holding hands

Does your boyfriend
    Does your boyfriend
    does your boyfriend know you’re here?
    Does your boyfriend know you’re here 🙂

Naughty Eddie 😦

I was in Brighton last summer for my son’s graduation, beautiful setting and nice people 🙂

22. wally says:

I’m not worried about the selection today. We have plenty of quality everywhere. What’s more important is the way we play. Let’s hope it’s smart, like last week.
    Got to keep playing le coq, continue to develop and determine if he’s the real deal.
    I’m excited to see Paulista come along. If he’s the real deal too he could be an invaluable asset. Lot’s more mobility at the back and perhaps a bit of bite as well.
    We’re getting to that time of the year. I find optimism creeping back in, dammit. That’s always worrying. Let’s keep building.

Cheers Raddy

I love Brighton in my imagination.

I meet a lovely women on a train, think brief encounter. She has beautiful fair hair and works in PPI. I am in a loveless marriage and she has just discovered her boyfriends a Totnumb fan.

We start a beautiful affair but I have to end it for the sake of my children, and the fact that I lied and told her I was terminally ill to get her into bed.

The reality? Having my ice cream shoved in my face by a bigger kid, and images of loose women replaced by slot machines, crap weather and prolonged virginity

Thanks for sharing that BR.

Very enjoyable.

Islington – Brighton 100k respect.

It remains my favourite run.

Those pints of Guinness look really tempting.

I have never been able to like Guinness but always wished I did.

26. harry2671 says:

Haven’t read a Big Raddy Match Preview in ages…. Hope everyone is good!!

Totally agree we need a strong team out today, think AW always gets the mix right in the Cup. Looking forward to seeing Ozil and Theo back for a start.
    Will be interesting to see who starts at the back and also between the sticks.

Good to be back
    Harry

27. I have a memory of Brighton, around the end of the forties my dad took mum and I to Brighton races.

We caught the train from Waterloo on a lovely sunny summer’s day. By the time we got to Brighton it was p*****g down, torrential rain, I’d never seen anything like it. They ran open top buses from the station to the racecourse, we piled onto one and managed to get seats on the lower, covered, deck.

When we got to the course mum and dad stood in the rain, I got under the umbrella of one of the bookies, after a while he forgot I was there and I listened to him chatting to his Tic Tac man. They named a horse that they said was a dead cert at a really good price. I ran off and told my dad, he backed it, it won and the winnings paid for our day out.

It was still raining when we got on the train to come home.

Hi Harry, great to see your name attached to a comment, hope all’s going well for you.

Bloody ell its Harry!!!!

Welcome back mate, a lots happened since you were last here, the sad passing of a forum regular and voice of reason DanDan https://arsenalarsenal.net/2014/04/06/loss-of-a-gooner/ have thought of him a bit lately as he didn’t get to see Rambos moment of glory which we all know would have made him so happy.

30. stevepalmer1 says:

Old memories of Brighton seems to be the order of the day, 1968 i was working as a Marble and Granite fixer, i was coming to the end of a 12 week job at C&A’s in Oxford circus, when i was whisked away to do a job in Brighton, We was going to a David Gregs shop which was like a chain store similar to Tesco’s.

It was a couple of days work fitting Granite risers outside the shop, and we were to find digs for a night . I was fairly young in those days, and this was to be my first night in digs.

We drove down in a little Mini van and started work on the outside of the shop, when a mixed race woman came up and started chatting to me, boy she was a looker i can tell you. I think she liked the look of me and asked me out, I explained that i was a Londoner and only down for a couple of days, and did she know of any digs where i could put up for the night. She offered to put me up at her place for the night and i jumped at the chance, she said she would come back when i knocked off, Boy was i looking forward to that i can tell you.

Later in the day, we got a phone call telling us to leave Brighton straight away as a problem had happened at Oxford circus and we had to be there first thing in the morning, we did what we were told and first thing in the morning we were at the doors of C&A’s a day’s work there and the next morning we drove into Brighton, i looked round all day for that cracker and saw her late in the day she absolutely blanked me, we finished the job that day and i have never been back since, so no good memories there at all.

Lets go there today, get the job done and leave, that will put a smile on my face. COYRRG’s

31. harry2671 says:

Rasp, many thanks…. Hopefully be back a bit more and even throw a few articles out…..
    GIE Thanks Richard, that is sad about dan dan didn’t hear that, cant remember if i ever met him or not?
    I have kept in touch with peaches just… Life is ok, changing roles at work from this week and should have a more balanced life.

32. fatgingergooner says:

Tough game today, possibly made harder by the highs of last week. We need to make sure we treat this as we did City and be on our game. If we drop our effort, we could be in trouble.

Watching Bristol City v West Ham at the moment with loads of ex Arsenal interest. JET, Freeman, Ayling, Song and Jenks playing. Could be another upset on the cards.

By the way, has anyone ever seen Song sprint? He just ambles around watching opposition players go past him. Average.

33. fatgingergooner says:

Hope we don’t have to put up with any of those diving Championship players today!

34. fatgingergooner says:

Not really seen Paulista play but hope he gets his work permit. I think Wenger said its 50-50 earlier in the week so won’t get excited just yet.

35. fatgingergooner says:

7 changes I think! A few too many for my liking, especially when a few of them have been out for a while.

Szscesny
    Chambers Kos Monreal Gibbs
    Flamini
    Walcott Ramsey Rosicky Özil
    Giroud

Would’ve preferred Özil central too but I suppose he needs to get his fitness up first. Hopefully he can drift in from the left and play Walcott through on the other side.

TEAM NEWS: Ozil starts in Brighton

Arsène Wenger has made seven changes to the side that beat Manchester City 2-0 on Sunday.

Wojciech Szczesny comes in for David Ospina while Kieran Gibbs and Calum Chambers replace Per Mertesacker and Hector Bellerin, which sees Nacho Monreal shift to centre back.

Mathieu Flamini comes in for Francis Coquelin, while Mesut Ozil makes his first start alongside Tomas Rosicky and Theo Walcott upfield.

Full team: Szczesny, Chambers, Koscielny, Monreal, Gibbs, Flamini, Walcott, Ramsey, Ozil, Rosicky, Giroud

Arsenal subs: Martinez, Mertesacker, Bellerin, Coquelin, Cazorla, Alexis, Akpom
    Copyright 2015 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to http://www.arsenal.com as the source

Great stuff Harry, hope we can meet up at a game in the near future.

Any of your written offerings whould be very much appreciated 🙂

hi harry 🙂

Well that team should be more than capable.

Szczesny 😦 No Per, Santi or Sanchez 😦 No, I don’t like it.

Yeah I think i’m with Eddie, don’t like middle pairing at the back too much. May have been different if Ospina had been behind them, but he isn’t even on the bench, need Kozzer to talk both Nacho and Chambers through it.

Strong enough going forward though

Oil praying, f’s, could he not do it before the game. I like him less and less

Budge up

Crapola its Robbie Savage 😦

Theo!!! Give him a pay rise! ,!!

Exactly what we needed, as soon as he doesn’t need to think about it……goal, great run by Chambers

That’s the way to start!

Lovely, lovely pre-match BR.

48. stevepalmer1 says:

Great goal Theo, sell him quick

That’s twice I’ve been right this week 😆

Get in Mesut! Graat ball TR7

Loverly Jubberly

Let Ozil pray, no harm done 🙂

How brilliant is our B team?

Lovely goal by Ozil

Harry. Good to see you. Hope all is well

Let’s see how ruthless our boys can be now. This game should be 5+ nil after 90.

Just sitting here thinking “game over, open a bottle” when I remembered Chavs were 2 up yesterday

57. fatgingergooner says:

Great patience and what an absolutely beautiful pass from Rosicky. Great finish from Özil too. No rustiness from Theo or Özil so far.

Keep it up fellas!

BTW Raddy, great photo of the kid in brighton

Eddie. & he is wearing AFC shorts (I think)

Yes, I noticed the shorts, lovely kid

Can someone explain. Why when a medic was not used and there was no sub was an extra minute added?

that was more than alright 🙂

63. arnie says:

ha ha ha ha, Raddy, very nice stuff. 🙂

what’s not to like? 😛

64. fatgingergooner says:

Brighton 0 the Holders 2!

Been a while since we’ve been called that! 🙂

Great half, but very surprised by the room we’ve been given. The early goal has rattled them. They will come at us after the break so we need to make sure we keep it tight for 15 minutes, or even better, score early.

Good so far.

No rustiness from Theo? I can think octal east three sitters he has missed since being back.

Why she insisting on playing centrally? It’s forcing Ozil to drift out wide to find space, but too many times Theo has been the man on the ball and failed to spot a pass when it should have been Ozil on the ball.

GIE. Early days but I agree

Bet chas & ant are loving that. Hope they dont get to excited and after go lose all there pocket money in the arcades in hope some bird yanks there slot?

We are really begining to look the business. To late (probably) to win the league this year but next we will be Champions

Before he goes, Arsene is gonna shut all his critics up

The Ghosts of the thirties are Stirring

It doesn’t sound like Theo can win 😦 I’ve just finished work so can see for myself now

still harsh to refer to octal east as a she just because of three missed sitters after a year out of action 🙂

ps exile. loved the story of your mum and the wasted guitars at the who gig 🙂

you sed for yourself all you like rasp
    ae we all on back up devices? I am, hence no caps and stuff 🙂

Haha micky, oh well we’ve just gifted them a goal with appalling defending – some things never change 😦

What a stupid goal to give away from Theo’s lack of finish to Rosicky’s slice and then Kos not close enough.

Come On Arsenal.

73. fatgingergooner says:

Really poor from us. Over committed chasing a third and they were straight onto our back 4. What’s so hard about keeping it tight for 15 minutes?

fgg
    “keeping it tight” is for doomersgo for the third and kill it off
    just don’t nod off

Robby Savage is a fucking idiot. The guy had his hand on Chambers shoulder holding him down before their goal, clear foul. Great strike by rosicky

ooo goal 🙂

Ooh ooh!!! Irish will be smiling

78. arnie says:

ha ha ha. normal service resumes. 🙂

Lovely set up from Giroud. Superb finish from Tomacz

80. fatgingergooner says:

Better!

GiE,

I was only referring to Theo in this game, not the others since his return. I agree he’s missed some shockers in his last few games.

I don’t agree with Savage saying Kos should throw himself at the ball. If he does that and the striker dummies the shot he’s leaving the whole net open. Not much you can do as a defender when someone shoots through your legs.

81. fatgingergooner says:

Micky,

Where was Flamini though? I don’t mind going for the third, but don’t empty the whole midfield to do it!

Doesn’t matter now, great finish from Rosicky. He’s been quality today.

fgg
    rosicky has been sensational recently
    was that giroo’s first assist this term?

we want chubby
    we want chubby

now what fgg?
    attack attack attack 🙂

85. fatgingergooner says:

Making hard work of this!

Micky, give it to Sanchez! 🙂

look, it’s a whole lot more exciting now

love that from the commentator

“they’ve given it to sanchez. never a good idea” rolf 🙂

Akpom has been very good. According to that muppet Savage, he’s been fouled very well – what a twat

Well I was right anout the 5 goals 🙂

How many free kicks has Akpom won?

Tomasz man of the match

Great second half, Didit is right, much more exciting

Cracking game. They put us through it don’t they

great game
    great result

95. arnie says:

what a lovely cup tie. 🙂 now we can laugh at the Chavs and Shitty, et al. ha ha ha ha ha. 🙂

At this stage, Chambers doesn’t have the pace to push and run as a RB, he reminded me of Jenks today. Bellerin is the best prospect for RB

your spellings are rubbish rasp 🙂
    (no idea how much I’ve looked forward to saying that)

the holders march on

99. fatgingergooner says:

Decent performance and never really in trouble. I thought all 3 subs did well.

Most important thing is no replay, still in the cup, and no injuries (touch wood).

Happy with that.

That’ll do nicely.

A nice easy home draw in thinnest round please, and ManUre and ‘Pool to be knocked out in their replays 🙂

Good win, can’t complain, it may well have been 5 nil if we hadn’t defended so poorly for their first goal

delighted
    beef and potatoes all round

103. fatgingergooner says:

Rasp,

Agree about Bellerin. Akpom was quality when he came on and Coquelin is looking a player at the moment. He really snaps into the tackles and presses the ball. I just hope he stays, at least as a back up.

Just 4 more wins and the Cup is retained 🙂

Absolutly delighted with Savage and Akpom.

Akpom looks pacy and skillful

Great to confirm that Savage is really thick

Micky. Can I have nut roast and spinach with some quinoa?

Brighton were lucky to finish with 11 men, there was an argument that some of those fouls on Akpom were last man

Well that turned out to be a bit more exciting than I expected at half time.

Rasp couldn’t agree more about Savage, he embarrasses himself constantly when he applauds fouling, and for him the first goal should have been stopped by fouling Chambers.

Made a muppet of himself on their goal too claiming Chambers should be jumping…..erm he was trying to….err….control the ball Robbie, you know the thing you were paid millions to play with although I know that’s hard for him to understand as he thought his job was to kick people.

He did get two handball shouts right though but then let himself down saying Dunk was unlucky….Robbie he is in an unnatural position, you know lying down on the pitch because he has just dived in front of the ball, that’s why good defenders like Koz only do that when they really have to, diving at the ball would have done him no good.

I also think there was an offside in the build up to the first that caused Monreal to reach for the first header that led to TR7 smacking it up in the air. The player never touched it because Nacho made the header, but Nacho wouldn’t have had to make the header if the player wasn’t there or he could rely on the official to get it right.

All in all I don’t think it was too bad a performance but as I said at half time didn’t like Theo taking up position centrally most of the time, and Flamini was pretty non existent in terms of protection offered to the back 4.

Good to hear AW confirm the Paulista signing. Love having a Brazilian in the squad.

111. arnie says:

lovely jubbly. cannot really complain. 🙂

A Brazilian, eh? work permit sorted? 🙂

nice personal touch, Raddy. really loved the post. 🙂

Raddy
    When I say beef and potatoes all round, I meant for the players.
    It’s what people get when they’ve been good

113. arnie says:

It would be OK is Savage was an exception, not the rule. Sad, but English football punditry is taken over by the aniti-football brigade. 🙂 and through the TV they have enormous influence on public opinion about how the game should be played. Sad, but this is taking English football back to the middle ages. 😦

Exile
    As you know, I’ve called Theo our most valuable/irreplaceable player in seasons’ past, but I agree, his tendency to drift central at the wrong time is infuriating

Anyway, I’m on only positives right now. I thought Mesut looked stronger. Has he been on the beef and tatties?

Arnie
    It’s the dreadful northern underdog mentality. They don’t like it up ’em and all that.
    The Arsenal Way will triumph

116. arnie says:

Micky. 🙂

By all accounts Micky he has used his time injured to beef up in the gym, interestingly Arsene said it was the player’s own decision, but he also said its about how you use what strength you have in the right way, to avoid injuries and also to appear tougher than you physically look. Something about timing your strength…..here’s the quote:

“It is not only down to pure strength when you play football. It is down to when to switch your strength on and the timing of your switch on.

“I know players like Claude Makelele, for instance, were not monsters, but when he went for a challenge he had the technique to use his strength in a very efficient way. It is a technique more than a power.

“A guy who spends a bit of time in the gym kills his co-ordination and becomes more rigid. Winning a challenge is down to flexibility and co-ordination, switching on all the muscles on at the same, right, time. That is not down to lifting weights.”

And some will call that a lot of old gonads, but deep down we know this kind of stuff is what sets Wenger apart from the majority of his counterparts.

Micky on Theo I don’t think today was even a case of drifting centrally at the wrong time it just appeared he decided he was going to play there to get amongst the goals, all I can say is without TR7 adapting to that and Ozil to an extent we wouldn’t have had the goals we got today.

Exile

I can pretend all I like how much I know about tacticsbollocks until your sort stroll in 🙂

Very interesting quote from Arsene about Mesut

120. stevepalmer1 says:

First half was a fine display, second half was not so good, personally i would have left Szezesney on the bench and gone with Martinez, why we persist with Szezesney i dont know, a mad rush forward which leaves an open goal and the other one he didn’t move, when will the cretin learn that he is a goalkeeper not an outfield player.

Allowing attacking players to run at you will always allow them to score, close the buggers down sooner when will Wenger ever learn. Now many will say a win is all that is important, but even at 2,0 you still feel we are not safe, and when you feel like that there is something very wrong. Le coq should have started and Ramsey left on the bench. Ramsey is like a cheap battery glows a bit then almost stops. Not fit and not in form, fitness and form on the training ground only when your fully ready should you be used that’s why your called professional,

Aside from that Steve, did you see anyone you liked in the Brighton team?

122. arnie says:

Nice post the other day, Steve, sorry I was know ear, but thank you. very nice read and discussion. 🙂

Steve. I disagree completely about Ramsey. He is so important to our future and has to get game time. Where better than Brighton?

It was a good game made more exciting by Brighton’s fightback

124. stevepalmer1 says:

GIE, got to say mate that while we a searching the world for players, Brighton nearly caught us on the hop. Now in my opinion of this weekends performances, a lot of lowere league sides did al-right for themselves, Now ok we won and when you count up the worth of our players to them, I don’t believe i saw that amount of money better than them. Paulista or whatever his name is will end up 15mil how many lower division could we get for 15mil.

And Raddy in the reserves mate

125. arnie says:

IMO we are doing pretty well, Steve, just look at the numpties Chavs, Shitty, and the like this week. Let us not see the grass greener on teh other side and manage to throw all our toys out of the pram. IMHO. 🙂

126. stevepalmer1 says:

Arnie, I know all you guys and gals are good supporters, but the way i see it no matter how good players are if they are top knotch they should be able to last 90 minutes. I don’t think that is too much to ask A grand a week a thousand pounds a minute, and they tire after 45 I would only pay them for the time they play.

Raddy: @ 6:14 “Love having a Brazilian in the squad.”

—– Bit public for that my man? 🙂

arnie: @ 6:21 “Lovely jubbly. cannot really complain. A Brazilian, eh? work permit sorted? Nice personal touch, Raddy”

—– arnie, you don’t need a work permit to get a Braziian, but it’s so nice Raddy helped you out! 🙂

128. arnie says:

Redders. 🙂 if you need extra-official services, Raddy is always the man to go to! 😆

Steve sorry mate but the money they are paid is irrelevant to whether they can last 90 or not.

You clearly struggle to enjoy the win as Arsenal don’t lineup to your memories or expectations, you remind me of another blogger who used to visit these shores.

But the question was simple and you dodged it, there was potentially one player in Brightons team who could be as good or better than what we have, his name was Ince, but he is going to need to put a seasons worth of performances in like he gave today in the second half today to be worthy of consideration, just like Chambers impressed Arsene in the flesh, maybe Ince has too.

130. RC78 says:

PiG – another two goals conceded…the second one was quite poor…Anways – seems that Ospina has the upper hand at the moment…PiG is gonna have to get back to work…

Chambers – decent game
    Kos – not his best
    Monreal – better as LB
    Gibbs – good game

Flamini – ok
    Ramsey – getting his form back
    Rosicky – clearly on form

Ozil – good goal and overall decent come back game
    Walcott – a goal and some good runs but a few missed crosses and chances…
    Giroud – industrious but not dangerous

131. stevepalmer1 says:

GIE, I enjoy all of Arsenals wins, but i always look to the future and wonder why we are not better than forth. Everybody loves Wenger when the results are going our way, and as i have always been one of his fans for years, also realise that there are higher positions and we have not been there for many years, When i see players who are not cutting the proverbial mustard i speak my mind.

You may see that as a negative or what some call a doomer but i see it as speaking allowed. Top players who are not properly fit get injured and usually what happens is that our position stays fairly static.

When i see regular mistakes from a goalkeeper and it costs us goals it annoys me, when i see players who cannot last a full game i see there is something wrong with their stamina, that shouldn’t be the case at this level,

Players demand top money, Theo being one of them but penciled in to play wing and he wants to play central, that pulls other players out wide and out of position and that leaves us exposed . Of course i am no tactical expert but to expect a player to do what his employed for is not too much to ask.

As for players in Brighton’s team, i am no scout, but when i see players fight like they did in the second half i admire that. i felt they wasnt a lot worse than us in the second half and i also felt they worked harder.

I never like to knock my own team i just expect them to give 100% I didn’t get that feeling today

132. Hi all, Brighton gave us a good game in the second half didn’t they? Or did we allow them to by switching off defensively? Anyway we did so much better than all the other top teams that I kinda wish I was going to come across lots of spuds and chavs tomorrow 🙂

Has anyone offered to write a post for tomorrow or would anyone like to offer one?

Also we’ll be needing posts for the coming days ………..

Peaches
    You know how this goes:
    I’ll knock out a quick one for you 🙄

Ant ‘n Duck

How’s the Travelodge? My advice is: make your way across to that tray with the pathetic little kettle and sachets, mix all the teas and coffees together into one still pathetically weak potion and get out.

135. Good morning from,a very cold and snowy Cevennes 🙂

It’s taken me an hour to get the bloody woodburner going, the only source of heat in this house. Will be going back to bed but thought I’d try the wi fi connection and whey hey, we have a connection but I’m having to use my friends laptop.

I’m glad I didn’t watch yesterdays game, sounded like it was sqeaky bums at the end. But the reports give us a positive write up.

We’re through though, who will we get in the next round? Let’s hope it’s a home game. Right, gonna go and snuggle under the duvet till the house warms up…..

NB sounds great but why was it you and not the girlfriend who lit the fire? Poor work from you 🙂

chas. There is a fine breakfast place at the bottom of North Laine – I think it is called Bill’s.

Raddy
    Right now he probably feels like hurling not eating. Its the way with these away trips

Brief feelings sent.

Must go.

139. chas mobile says:

Travelodge is top notch. Beautiful UHT milk.
    Feel like a million dollars and looking forward to the draw.
    Might just end up in ‘Spoons, BR. Downmarket? Us? 🙂

140. Ant, that’s the best way to start the day at 9am 🙂

Got my laptop connected to the wi fi at the local bar, but very weak and cuts off all the time. But going out for a mountain walk in the snow…. BRRRR.

Raddy, I was very well rewarded for getting the woodburner going 🙂

chas and Ant. You are beasts. I might manage a short early doors but never a pint.

Morning all, I have a post that can be used today if there is nothing in the offing. Its not a match report so if anyone has written a match report please step up.

I’ve just found Micky’s match report so I’ll save mine for tomorrow ….

…. New post ….