Where Can Arsenal Recover in the Remaining Matches?

Recently ArsenalArsenal ran a terrific article, but one which for us fans, was a dire read that underscored where Arsenal were standing with respect to the equivalent fixtures last season.  The bottom line: the Gunners were -6 points adrift.  From where can they gain those points back?

After the publication of that article, Arsenal kept pace with the next two 2013-14 victories, QPR home and WHU away.  Particularly challenging this year was the match against West Ham, who were ahead of Arsenal in the table.  How did Corporal Jenks feel, prior to that match, to be above his beloved Gunners?  Conflicted happiness?  Bittersweet elation?  Whatever the case, Jenkinson did not need to play against his mother club, and Arsenal repeated last season’s win, which rearranged the ranking.  (If this stays the same to the end, the Corporal should save some therapy money.)

Having registered two consecutive wins, Arsenal had an opportunity to reduce the equivalent-fixtures point deficit: Southampton away, which was a draw last season. This was a match where Arsenal could put themselves back into Champions League contention and build confidence for the remainder of the season. Unfortunately, the team lost further ground.

Now the deficit is -7 points, and there is less than half a season left.  Here are the upcoming fixtures, with the corresponding 2013-14 results.  (* denotes away games.)

Fixture 2013-14
Sunderland W
Chelsea D
Hull City* W
Swansea City D
Manchester United* L
West Bromwich Albion W

Six opportunities remain for Arsenal to gain points.

Man City away (Loss): Facing the champion in a mid January match, will Arsenal have enough players back and functioning fluently to improve over last season’s result?

Aston Villa home (Loss): The disastrous first fixture of 2013-14.  Surely Arsenal will do better, especially after the long break at the end of January.

Everton home (Draw): Everton has not been the force it was last year.  Can this be another match for Arsenal to gain back points?

Chelsea home (Draw): I have heard suggestions that Chelsea play for away draw.  Is that true?  This fixture is scheduled for late April, when the BPL race will be heading toward its final month.  By this time, will Chelsea and Man City still be one-two?  And will Arsenal have enough to spoil Chelsea chances?  My heart says, “Yes,” and my head says, “Would be about time!”

Swansea home (Draw): Arsenal have not had it easy against Swansea lately.  Can Arsenal break that trend?

Man United away (Loss): Last season ManU was not a serious contender, yet Arsenal did not manage to get more than 1 point out of 6 against the former champion.  So far this season Arsenal have not managed to do better.  Do the recent Arsenal teams have a mental block when facing ManU?

Of course Arsenal could also lose points from these six fixtures, but because half of them were already losses, the worst would be -3 points.  I’m guessing Arsenal will be +5 points from these six.  What do you think?

The remaining twelve fixtures were wins last season.  However, there is no guarantee the results will be the same.  In fact, Arsenal most likely will do worse in a few.  Here are some challenging fixtures:

Stoke home:  At home, Arsenal should overcome the rough tactics of their visitors. However, after the disappointment at Southampton, one might wonder.  With hope, ten days separation between these two matches (plus a good third round FA Cup performance) gives the team enough recovery time.

Spurs away: Rosicky scored a beauty in the second minute, and Arsenal kept a clean sheet for a 0-1 away win.  That most likely will not happen this time around.  Will the result be the same anyway?

Liverpool home or in fact any one of those six 2013-14 victorious fixtures: The 2013-14 results arranged in the 2014-15 sequence require Arsenal to win at least six matches in a row.  This season, Arsenal have yet managed to win more than two consecutive matches.  Even with the notoriously unbalanced schedule of 2013-14, Arsenal longest winning streak was only five.  Can this (so far) inconsistent Arsenal team do it?

Pessimistically I believe Arsenal will be -6 points from the twelve remaining wins of last season.  How about you?

Of course each season is different, as the surprising Saints demonstrate.  Last season Arsenal were only seven points from first place, yet they finished fourth.  How will it end this season?

TwentyTwelve

171 Responses to Where Can Arsenal Recover in the Remaining Matches?

Thanks twenty twelve
    I can’t see the league table from where I am but reckon we need to do about three points better than spuds and saints over the remaining fixtures
    With theo in the side I reckon that’ll be a breeze

An interesting take 2012.

It is always difficult to compare seasons as there are so many variables concerning injuries, personnel, good old Lady Luck, (just ask Rasp) 🙂 and the same pressures affecting our rivals.

I think you have made a good stab at trying to rationalize matters but I fear you are on a hiding to nothing.

One of two things are likely to happen in the transfer window, and either one will have a major impact on how the season pans out.

It is a given that Arsene will leave all transfer dealings until the last minute, and although he has a past record of doing so, this time he may be right.

First, the injured players may make a speedier return from injury than expected and AW may feel it is unnecessary to deal in this transfer window after all, apart from letting players like Pod and Yaya go.
    [I think he would be wrong.]

Alternatively, he might feel that he does need to go out and buy a replacement or two as short-term cover for injuries if they are likely to persist beyond Jan.
    [I think he would be wrong.]

So, how can he be wrong on both counts, you amy ask?

Well, oddly enough, in my opinion, he would be wrong on both counts for much the same reason.

In the first instance the injuries have nothing to do with the need for a new young, physically imposing midfield holding/defensive player, and to overlook this because of players returning would be a nonsense as we do not have that sort of player we need there.

Secondly, leaving possible replacements until the last knockings, we are likely to end up with a less than first class player, as they would be unavailable so late in the piece.

The likelihood then would be that we will end up with an ‘available’ player (i.e. a player not wanted by the selling club) who by definition would not be a top player, even if the resultant low purchase price is tempting for Arsenal’s management.

Only if a top player(s) becomes available in January, at an affordable price, should Arsene dabble, and we should not under any circumstances buy a short-term, over-age or technically limited player.

Wait until the summer, Arsene, even if it means we will have to write this season off – as seems likely anyway.

3. RC78 says:

I think we have a really tough battle head to just finish fourth. To be honest, we should not be in this position at all. We should be firmly into third position with a cushion given the horrific start of the season by Man U, Everton and Tottenham…

Aston Villa and Southampton will falter. The team really failed when it mattered the most and I am afraid we will fail again when presented vs a tough opposition.

I do not expect our team to get more than 35 points on the remaining fixtures so we would finish with 68 points, right below the 70 points…As a result, I am afraid that we will just miss out on CL football…EXCEPT IF:

– we address our defensive frailties with the recruitment of 3 players:
    — 1 strong CB (someone that can be as reliable as a Cahill)
    — 1 strong FB (someone that can really challenge both Gibbs and Debuchy); and
    — 1 strong DM (someone that can be as reliable as Fernando but ideally as good as Matic)

– we manage to keep Gibbs, Kos, Ramsey, Wilshere, Ozil, Walcott and Giroud fit;

– we do not lose out Ox and Sanchez to injuries.

These are three big IFs but on the plus side:
    — Garay is keen to leave Russia with the crumbling rouble and Varane wants out of Real Madrid;
    — Coleman, Abate and Lichtensteiner could also be allowed to leave their clubs if the right offer comes in;
    — Khedira, Motta, Ramires and Sissoko are available;

— Gibbs, Kos, OG and Walcott are back. Ramsey and Ozil are close to being back.

— Ox and Sanchez are horses 🙂

Szecesny – Debs, GARAY, Kos, Gibbs – Ox, MOTTA, Ramsey – Walcott, Giroud, Sanchez

Ospina – Abate, Chambers, BFG, Monreal – Rosicky, Arteta, Wilshere – Cazorla, Wellbeck, Ozil (or Campbell)

+ Martinez, Bellerin, Coquelin, Flamini, Diaby, Zelalem, Gnabry, Campbell, Akpom

Anyways – I am sure I am just dreaming about Garay and Motta as we will end up with Perrin (not bad but not great) and the back-up midfield from Atletico (Mario Suarez) or worse the 16-yeard Polish DM (Bielik)….

Micky,

Such a brave statement to say Theo will save the day. 😉

In both of his appearances so far he has been anonymous, I barely realised he was playing in the first game, and looked totally at sea in the second, which was a relatively easy game against Hull’s second string team.

In fairness, he has been out for a year, and it is only to be expected that he will take time to get up to speed – and time is something we do not have.

I would put you in charge of our recruitment policy, RC78.

But Kroenke never would! 🙂

6. Have we bought anyone yet?

7. Redders

I’ve just sold Silva and bought Theo for my fantasy PL team, I’m hoping he’ll be my saviour 🙂

And don’;t forget, Redders, you, me, transplant and Cockie man are meeting up in a Islington pub for some serious alcohol consumption in April. I won’t let you weedle out of it, you will BE THERE 🙂

Norther, 😀

NB,

Damon is missing you and your chorizo. Better go look. 🙂

NB,

Your fantasy team is going to be OK.

I saw Theo when he played against our youth team for S/hampton, and I thought he was the best 15/16 y.o. youngster I had seen.

Then when he joined us and had the shoulder problems and then knee problems he never looked the same, and the slinky skills that enabled him to go around other players as if they were not there seemed to leave him, and his pace seemed all that was left of such an exciting talent.

Now it seems that Bellerin is faster than Theo, and I am sad for him, as I always wanted him to be the best.

Hopefully I am wrong and he will return to the great potential he showed as a kid. But I worry for him.

11. ha ha RA, I’ve just been over there and left a comment 🙂

12. RC78 says:

Theo is still an outstanding forward and I think that when fit, he is top 3 right forward in the EPL…

13. GunnerN5 was probably at the funeral

2012 – thanks for the post, excellent read.
    I can only see 2 games we could potentially lose – City and Spurs. All others are winnable

no smoke without fire – Szczesny did upset Wenger after all

16. RC78 says:

So – anybody thinks we will fnish Top 4? I think we will miss out to…Reds or Spurs 😦

Maybe it will be good for us to miss on CL footie and focus on winning the EPL…Who knows?

Sacrilege RC78. If you don’t stop I will have to come over to France, hunt you down, and make love to you.

Nice one Twenty

All those games are winnable. I see no reason why we wont go on a fantastic run and narrow the gap with the leaders.

If we can cut the deficit to say 6 points by April, then its game on. City have a lot of hard fixtures and Chelseas squad is overrated for its depth. Take away Hazard and Costa, then there left with shit players like Fabregas.

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring

18. RC78 says:

TMHT – thanks for the offer but no thanks 🙂

I am surprised to see so many optimists among our ranks…I hope that your optimism will be rewarded by a Top 4 finish and another FA Cup 🙂

19. Bayonne Jean says:

Fourth may not be enough this season, as the solons at UEFA have decided that the winner of this season’s Spursday night competition will get automatic qualification to next year’s CL. And with Pool and Spuds both alive in a cup competition against lesser sides, one of them could weasel their way into CL that way.

Our crystal ball is showing that the PL title will be a (Stamford) bridge too far for Arsenal this season, and that United, even with a dodgy defense, will manage to keep itself upright. It’s City that could be catchable — no Yaya for the African Nations’ Cup interval; no strikers at the moment; defensive liabilities without Kompany; and they really haven’t played that well recently (see their recent cup tie with Wednesday). The fact that they are relying on Lampard speaks volumes.

Arsenal will be facing them at the perfect time; control Silva and the Gunners has a great opportunity to get the result in two weeks’ time.

20. Nice post Twenty, but I have to agree with RA, there are just too many variables to come to any firm conclusion.

The most obvious variable being the action, or lack off, in the current transfer window.

All the world, and Wenger, knows the priorities. A top class centre-back and an equally top class defensive mid-fielder.

Much has been written about the difficulty of signing players in January, but the players are either available or not. If they are available then I can see no sense in delaying the inevitable as our need is immediate, yet Wenger seems happy to rely on his traditional last minute trolley dash.

By delaying things until the eleventh hour the club may save a few quid by not having to start paying the new player’s wages for three weeks and I suppose it’s possible that the price may fall as the deadline approaches.

There are problems with this tactic, a deal could be hijacked by another club or the price could rise as our need becomes greater.

My fear is that Wenger will delay things in the hope that Koscielny will prove his fitness, that Arteta will return from injury and that Coquelin will suddenly morph into a reincarnation of Javi Alonso. Pigs might fly!!

Thanks for a very interesting Post TwentyTwelve

It makes for quite gloomy reading, but – as others have said – there are so many variables that I’m not going to start getting doomy about it.

On face value it seems unlikely we can emulate last year’s points haul from the remaining games. But equally, we are perfectly capable of putting a strong winning run together.

I feel we need to beat one of Man City, the Chavs or ManUre in a league game to really galvanize our confidence and set us up for a good run.

22. Rocky, before that there is the little matter of Stoke City looming on the horizon. Beating them without clogging up the local A&E department will be a big step forward.

This is copied directly from my Excel spreadsheet so I’m not sure if it will display correctly but I’ll send it in the hope that it will.

It’s a summary of our PL league history after 20 games.

By Column.

2009/10 13 3 4 42 3
    2010/11 12 3 5 39 4
    2011/12 11 3 6 36 3
    2012/13 9 7 4 34 4
    2013/14 14 3 3 45 4
    2014/15 9 6 5 33 4

On the only two occasions when we had less points after 20 we finished 10th and 12th. But in 1997/8 when we only had one more point we finished 1st.

Oops it’s very difficult to follow. The final position shown for 2014/15 is a “wish and hope”

25. TwentyTwelve says:

Thanks all for the responses. Sorry I was not available much today.

RA/NG/Rocky, yes, you’re quite right about there are many variables. This post was an exercise in being optimistic, which I actually wrote before the Southampton match, when the level was higher. Had to adjust it along the way 😦

By my accounting, Arsenal will end with 71 points, but of course the final order depends also on how well the other teams fare. Last season Arsenal had 79 points and were only seven points from first place. Yet they finished fourth. Three seasons ago Arsenal had 70 points—nineteen points behind the leader—and finished third. Ending the season with a low 70s point tally probably will be enough for fourth.

Anyway, I think the journey along the way is also very interesting. I converted from a football follower into an Arsenal fanatic after that roller coaster 2011-12 season 😀

One of the other variables is our vs the other contenders for CL positions remaining opposition.

Man U.

Newcastle A
    Southampton A
    Man City H
    Stoke A
    Hull H
    Everton A

I am not discounting West Ham or Southampton it’s just that I don’t have their remaining fixtures handy.

27. GN 5’s table shows, with the exception of 92/3 and 94/5, a remarkable level of consistency which would be enviable by most other teams.

A pity really that there is no trophy for being consistant.

Norfolk,

Arsene has been our manager for all but the 1st four PL seasons – he is an outstanding manager!

Thank you Twenty Twelve, its odd that we are already in a ‘counting down situaton’ when the season is only just half way through – but I get exactly where you are coming from.

I tend to agree with Redders’ comment @ 11:58. It’s all about availability. We don’t know the truth behind the stories linking us to players, but if any of the top quality players we have been linked with are available, we should be doing our utmost to sign them …. and for all I know, we probably are 😛

I’d just be relieved if we don’t make any Khalstrom type signings – I don’t think the cat can stand the pain.

30. RC78 says:

Interesting to see that we are doing worse than usual at this stage…

I think we will end up with 68 points, hence just missing Top 4 for the first time in ages except if…(see earlier post) and I believe that both Spurs and Liverpool have now found enough stablity and rhythm to be consistant so I do not count on their inability to get points…

Anyways – would a Top 4 miss be so bad? Would that mean the end of AW as manager?

31. RC78, only if the board decide to sack him, he certainly won’t go of his own volition.

That abominable Micky seems to have got to Arsene!!

Instead of concentrating on a midfielder and centre-back he is on the verge of signing a forward – Jonathan Calleri – according to reports out of Argentina.

Figure we cannot double guess the boss in the transfer market, but I will have a word with him and tell him to ignore Attack, Attack Micky, and concentrate on defensive acquisitions. 🙂

Hi, to all new arrivals. 🙂

NG,

You appear to have gone over to the dark side – which is probably all that walking in soggy Norfolk and swimming in freezing water – for you the glacial effect wreaks havoc with the nuts, as well as the milk of human kindness where Arsene is concerned!! 🙂

34. RA, soggy Norfolk maybe, but the water I swim in is a cosistant 30 degrees. Private indoor pool and hot showers afterwards.

There’s no flies on me. 😀

2012. Thank you for an interesting post. I don’t do the prediction game because when I am right my head swells and when I am wrong I blame myself for the loss.

RC 78. Not optimists – realists 😀

Based upon the last 17 years I would say our chances of getting 4th are high.

Helped by a strange season. L’pool should have lost to bottom placed Leicester and got a draw thanks to two awful refereeing mistakes. MU have spawned their way to a few wins. Spurs? You’re having turkish!

S’ton are in the box seat but does anyone think they can keep it going for the remainder of the season?

It seems that TPIG has been getting a lot of grief at the moment, but as a non-smoker myself, I think he deserves a bonus for managing to smoke cigarette in the shower – and if he managed to light the thing in there too, I would also give him a night with the Celtic, Greek Adonis Terry and his goats.

That’d larn ‘im. 🙂

Hi, Raddish, 🙂

After being accused by NB of radically destroying the Queen’s English, I defended myself by saying that I do not always understand the written word on here either — and you kindly supplied an example for me.

What the Dickens does “You’re having turkish!” mean??
    A kebab? A delight? What?

38. RC78 says:

turkish dried plants i suspect….:-p

Watch Tottenham do well in the remaining games. They ll take confidence in beating Chelski and they have four players up front that are on great form with Kane, Eriksen, Lamela (what a player!) and Chadli and Lloris is also having a fine season…I suspect them to do well until the end of the season

NG,

Maybe you could take Arsene out with you, a swift 10 mile walk, a warm, gentle shower of the nether regions, and a word in his shell-like (howdya like them words Norther, eh?) to explain a ‘defensive’ player is a bone head at the back who crushes all opposition before him – not some weedy, tiny little forward who plays at the pointy bit, like Micky likes. 🙂

You wash your mouth out RC78, or Randy will beat you with his rubber duck – a well known Danish instrument of torture, second only to Terry smiling at you! 😀

41. stevepalmer1 says:

Ramsey Wilshere Diaby Ozil Gnabry Koshielney Walcott Gibbs Giroud. Just some of the reasons why our points are lower.

Lets not kid ourselves that we deserve a higher position than where we are now, because we do not. From the start of the season we have been less than Professional. A Jackal and Hyde team that have played some of the worse football that i have seen from an Arsenal team for years and years.

A manager who lets his players have extra holidays because of world cup inclusion should never be allowed to interfere with Domestic leagues start dates. Players sign to play for Arsenal not world cup, Arsenal pay players wages and if they are too tired to play when the league starts then they should not play for their countries.

Wenger has lost the the changing room, Players doing whatever they want, Many never fit, and leaving weaknesses all over the pitch. Every body knew where we needed players but Wenger buys more midfielders than we need, he buys youngsters instead of experience, and then tries to juggle them round.

We are desperate for CB DM and that has been the case for oh so long, the window is open and if he buys it will be in a months time which leaves us another four or five games short of players.

Walcott comes back after a year out not even a reserve game to his name and he was terrible, who fields a player like that, i expect the same will happen for others too.

Arsenal are becoming known for invalids and still have no idea why, for seasons now players have months out injured only for us to be told they are tired when they play a couple of consecutive games.

Join Arsenal and get 5 months holiday a season, Yes Wenger is running a holiday camp, come to Arsenal and Wenger will protect you, if you want to play and feel ok and dont question he will give you extended contracts so you can enjoy the holidays even more.

How do clubs survive with players like Diaby Ramsey Wilshere and Walcott Ozil Gnabry in their fold. Whatever makes Players like Sanchez want to play for Arsenal i really don’t know

This cluster of games will determine if Man U have the staying power to end up in the top four. Their second from last game is away against us so that six pointer may well be the decider.

Tottenham H
    Liverpool A
    Aston Villa H
    Man City H
    Chelsea A
    Everton A

Hi GN5,

I am impressed with your fixture lists, O Mighty Statistician, but what effect will they have on the final outcome compared with Arsenal’s predicted final position? 😀

I would have worked out something myself, but I have to wash my hair! 🙂

Steve,

I cannot agree with anything you have said!

Your whole assumption is that AW is to blame for everything that goes wrong.

Lost the dressing room, Players doing what they want, Unfit, Holiday camp, demeaning Ramsey, Wilshere, Walcott, Ozil and Gnabry I just cannot understand your reasoning it`s totally illogical.

It must be a wind up……………

Umm, Steve, has NG been chatting to you? 🙂

I find it rather difficult to believe that you think Wenger gave the WC players, especially Özil and the BFG extra time off for a holiday.

His reasons were not ‘humanitarian’ or to be a nice guy – why should he? His reasons were that he felt it would suit Arsenal better if they recharged their batteries first before getting back into a demanding Premier League.

And he was right. The BFG said he had mislaid his motive and was shattered, and Mesut soon succumbed to a knee injury which would not have been helped by playing through the summer.

Even the few extra days off at the start of the season to recover did not help in the end.

Give the guy a break. 🙂

RA. Rhyming slang. Turkish bath = Laugh

47. stevepalmer1 says:

I am used to having different views to most of you, as i often think you view The Arsenal through rose tinted glasses. But of course when a few of you accept that Diaby should still be included as an Arsenal player, i fear we will always have differing views.

Wenger has no idea why our players go down like fly’s. Many with months out some even have 2 years out and still you take it on the chin. 42 million for a player who is not up to Premier league football, will he see another game this season, how long will Ramsey and Wilshere be out for, you don’t care do you.

You may think that i find things to knock the Arsenal over, but take those glasses off and you will see for yourself without searching.

My glasses are most certainly not rose tinted although I do have a couple of cataracts. I simply cannot agree with your thought trend as it is a one way attack on AW.

49. stevepalmer1 says:

I watched a sixteen stone player play a game last night against Liverpool, he was on for the whole game playing as a centre forward, he gave his all, he chased and he was involved, he even scored and i watch Walcott miss every chance he had. And then i see Podolski loaned out, the mind boggles.

50. stevepalmer1 says:

GN5 You watch what you want mate, Wenger can do no wrong in your eyes and whatever i say you will always disagree, i have no problem with that, if you feel that certain players are giving their all then not a lot i can say to change your mind, we see things differently, and thats what blogging is all about. But dont expect Trophy’s

You are welcome to your views, Steve, and you are consistent in expressing them.

In return perhaps you will agree that we are entitled to ours without being told by you that we only view the Arsenal world through rose tinted glasses.

i gave you my reasons as to why Arsene gave extra rest time off at the beginning of the season, for players who played in the WC, and there were no glasses involved there. Were there?

Raddy,

Let me see – so Turkish Larf = have a bath? Right? 🙂

RA. By George he’s got it

Next we will try …

The Rain in Spain falls mainly on the Plain

54. The Cockie Monster says:

Thanks TwentyTwelve .

You say we have six chances to gain points, but being a doomer, I say we have twelve opportunities to lose some !. hahaha
    It doesn`t take a dodgy rip off blood sucking accountant to work out that we are all in the same boat at the half way mark of the season in that we all have to play all the same teams again, so no one has an easier second half than anyone else !. Our only saving grace at the moment is, other than City and Chavs, all our 4th trophy competitors been as average as us and Liverpool even less average !.
    I was listening to Radio 4 today and come across an amazing stat which possibly only our accountants fiends know and is going to be part of a future programme…..not football related…..not my words, but apparently ….85 people own half the worlds wealth !……..is that true my account fiends ?…….I find it effing amazing but also disgusting if true .

55. GunnerN5I' says:

No intent to be disagreeable me old china It’s simply how I pronounced laugh when I was a street urchin around Highbury.

I’ve no idea how to use emoticons or there would have been a little smiley thingamajig.

Oh and bath would have been pronounced Barf.

Cockie: I read that 15 people own 80% of the wealth in UK.

The Queen would be one of them and the fellow who owns Mayfair.

I would be happy with enough to keep my family warm in old age.

58. stevepalmer1 says:

RA, sorry i didn’t answer your question. can only answer one comment at a time.

Of course our opinions are different, as you wouldn’t be digging my comments out otherwise.

World cups may be the be and end of to you but for me i feel that whatever pays me a living deserves to have my full attention.

Premier football gives these players their living, world cups come round now and again. My suggestion to all professional is if you cannot play both give one up and i am pretty sure which one they would give up.

Mertsacker is a spent force, retired now from world cup and hardly exerted himself in the last one did he. Mersacker has little pace but through Wenger not signing he has been relied on as a must play player, i am sure you see him as a top player as we always seem to have different views, but he could have had a season off and i don’i think he would ever be in one of my teams.

Wenger has allowed posistions to weaken without any sign of replacements, in my mind that is careless and the reason why we are where we are.

I love Cockney rhyming slang that makes no sense unless you pronounce the words the way a Cockney would (e.g. “You’re ‘avin’ a Turkish” = “You’re having a Turkish Barf” = “You’re having a Turkish Bath” = “You’re having a laugh.” 😀

“Aris” – meaning “arse” – is another favourite convoluted one…

Any offers?

60. The Cockie Monster says:

It infuriates me, Raddy, to think of all the homeless, helpless and starving people on this planet and the greed of such a miniscule minority own it all and they could probably end poverty for all and still be well off !.

On a lighter note !……..I see also on the news that scientists have invented an “imaginary meal ” pill !. It tricks the body into thinking it has consumed a large number of calories !……….NB69 has something similar in the sex stakes, not quite an ” Imaginary sex ” pill, but it is plastic and it requires `69er to give it a blow-job to inflate it !……by the time `69er finishes the blow-job , he is exhausted and burnt off quite a few calories in the process, which enables Transplant to whip in, finish the job and whip out again before `69er recovers and has to reflate Arsenetta again, with the process starting again !……a sort of cardiovascular circuit training for the sexually disturbed !

Excellent, TwentyTwelve.

I’ve got a feeling that even 3rd place this season might not get 70 points.
    Maybe 68 might be good enough for 4th.
    So 12 wins 6 defeats and Robert is your auntie’s wife.

Here are the predictions from Statto.com which has us 4th on 66.

What I’m trying to say is we may not need to get back those points, in actual fact, we can afford to drop quite a few more compared to last season and still end up with the 4th place trophy.
    This is as optimistic as I can get at the moment. 🙂

By the way, Bayonne, I think if an English team wins the Spursday night trophy, England will end up with 5 Champions League spots next season.
    (article dated May 2013)

BTW2, I’d imagine if we do sign anyone this January, it’ll be a loan player to cover for centre back.

Rocky,

“Aris” means arse?

Where’s the rhyming bit of that? 🙂

I’ve always liked Aneater Arris.

‘Arsenetta’ is feckin priceless. 😆

Redders
    Aris = Aristotle = rhyming slang for Bottle = is short for Bottle & Glass = which rhymes with Arse. Hence Aris = Arse.

Simple, really 😀

67. Jack and Danny….

68. Macaroni = Pony = Pony and trap = Crap

69. So you’re gonna have a Maca…

70. You leave my Arsenetta out of it Cockie 🙂

71. The Cockie Monster says:

I still use the terms “Jimmy” and “Richard” when going for a number one or two !.

72. Duelers = Duelers Pistols = Bristols = Bristol Cities = Titties

73. The Cockie Monster says:

” I was always Paul Furlong !”…….hahahahahahahahahahaha

Umm, yeeess, I think I get it, Rocky. 🙂

You aren’t pulling my plonker, are you.

(where does ‘plonker’ come from?) 🙂

It’s probably best if I don’t try and converse in rhyming/non-rhyming slang. 🙂

No! I am not going to ask, Glister – bugger off!! 🙂

#1 or #2 is too much information, Cocker, unless it is a warning to get the hell out.

Yeah, OK, I have gone! 🙂

77. The Cockie Monster says:

Redders !…….you will get fair warning with an …” Orson ! “…….Horse and Cart !……… 😀

78. Berk = Berkshire = Berkshire Hunt = in moderation and comment withdrawn

79. RA

But you know you’re a Septic, don’t you?

81. Redders

You could call me a plonker, I think it comes from the word Plonk = cheap alcohol, so some who drinks… but now a mild insult for a twat or idiot. 🙂

So, moderation for a photo of Tony Adams, but none for a pie in a hood.
    Where’s the logic in that?

“pie in a hood allowed” eh. Some sick and twisted people at the controls for sure.

Love the Messi Furlong thing 🙂

Evening all. Well…..have we?

Reading down through comments and I did not like the Europa Winners into the CL thing. Thank goodness that’s not at the expense of 4th 🙄

What!? A swingometer themed post and no one let me know, i had to do a days work and come here now to find out! Well done Twenty Twelve.

Ok here goes for current position according to my swingometer:

Current +/-
    Newcastle -3
    Arsenal -7
    WBA -9
    Palace -14
    Liverpool -16
    Everton -18

I always think it’s quite surprising to see the teams that most fans/media think are doing well or badly against what they achieved last season, would anyone have thought Saints were actually level in terms of games played last season?

Using the above swing I predict the following finish these are based on my weirdo calculation of:

((points gained/loss) divided by (2013/14 games played points total)) multiplied by (points gained from remaining fixtures in 2013/14) add (2013/14 points from remaining fixtures) add (points already gained 2014/15).

So for example us so far:

Points lost 7

4. ManUre 72
    5. Arsenal 65
    6. Stoke 57
    7. Saints 56
    8. Villa 56
    9. Liverpool 54

Want to know who is going down?

16. Everton 39
    17. Hull 37
    18. Leicester 33
    19. Palace 25
    20. WBA 24

Ok thats using my swing method, what if we just used a prediction of results staying the same? (i.e. Points so far in 2014/15 add points from remaining games in 2013/14) Arsenal would possibly achieve 72 points.

What about the rest? Well top 9 would look like this:

Relegation?

16. Hull 37
    17. Burnley 35
    18. Leicester 33
    19. Palace 31
    20. WBA 27

How do you like them apples? (I still don’t know what that means but i prefer the second option 😀 )

I suppose to base any credence on the above we need to look at what Swingometer said after 20 games in 2013/14:

Weirdo Calculation

3. Chavs 82
    4. Arsenal 79
    5. Everton 72
    6. Spuds 69
    7. ManUre 64

Italics within 1 point

Which proves one things, no matter how much hope Spuds may give their fans you can rely on them to f*** it up 😀

Wow, the swingometer cheers me up every time. 🙂

Let’s hope it’s as wrong this season as it was the last as regards the fate of The Arsenal.

Ah haaaaaa THE SWINGER 🙂

Look, I didn’t want to “dis” TwentyTwelve’s excellent contribution, but my first thought was “now, wheel out the Swinger”.

Love the conclusion. No matter how you do the maths, and then look at the reality, there’s only one way for Spuds, and that’s down.

Conversely, only one way for their neighbours. Yip. Up.

Swingometers, Heat Maps, and talk of very expensive forwards and my life is complete

90. TwentyTwelve says:

GiE, master of the Swingometer, greetings!

Even I did not know the post was going up today 😉 Thanks for revealing the secret recipe. Do you have some giant database of results on your computer, like GN5 does? Didn’t realize Saints are only even to 2013-14!

It’s clear that I like the idea of the Swingometer, even though being based partly on results from the previous year, it can miss out on new/exceptional developments.

Thanks for that link to Statto, chas. Unfortunately, now it has Arsenal finishing 6th 😦

20 12

Exile is being economical with the truth.

A few months prior to that prediction from last term, the wretched machine had us in The Conference League.

We bloody love it all the same. Character is what it’s got 🙂

Right. Need to go.

TT
    It’s the green column which is projected points.
    Has us finishing 4th on 66 points.

GIE
    Can you take Tony at 7:35 out of moderation please?

Done Chas.

I think it was blocked because he didn’t have a pie hidden about his person. Although I suspect his right hand is holding a vodka miniature.

TwentyTwelve

I have one spreadsheet, a tabfor every team, a tab with the summaries and a tab with remaining games and a tab with the Top 6 mini league although I made it 7 to include the improving Everton, should I take them and Liverpool out?

I then just copy this seasons results into last seasons and then have a bunch of IF formulas for result comparisons. I started it a few seasons back when we were having our “worst ever start” after about 5/6 games but in actual fact we were like for like on this comparison basis.

So doesn’t take a lot to compile and update now.

The purpose of the swing percentage is to reflect the performance improvement or reduction.

Chas sorry had seen your comment about being in moderation then forgot to go find it.

97. TwentyTwelve says:

Gotcha, chas. 4th it is 🙂

98. The Cockie Monster says:

I reckon there are “Swingometer Parties” for stato`s……. where they chuck their calculators into a hat !. 😆

99. arnie says:

lovely stuff, TT, and sorry knot ear all day. 🙂

mad rush before, you know what, TRAVEL! 😛

cannot really complain, either with your TT Bollix Mark 2, nor with the GiE Swinger, and neither with the Chas Statto attack. All to play for. We live to fight on!

4th place in the pocket, well and truly? Can we do 3rd? 😛

100. arnie says:

Steve, I hear your doomer bolleaux, but you do not engage with the question. 🙂

So your point is, with Wenger in charge, we cannot get any of our coveted trophies this year: 4th place, FA Cup or CL? Hence he should drown himself in a spoon of sputum. Right?

OK, why dont you put this down in black and white? If we get either of these trophies this year, are you ready to eat humble pie? 😛

101. arnie says:

102. arnie says:

In moderation! 😦

That’s right arnie – everything in moderation. Recipe for a happy (if somewhat dull) life 🙂

104. arnie says:

Jay Emmanuel Thomas – Bristol City
    Rhys Murphy – Dagenham & Redbridge
    Sanchez Watt – Colchester
    Conor Henderson – Crawley
    Cedric Evina – Charlton
    Oğuzhan Özyakup – Besiktas

Only one player from that FAYCwinning side has no club according to wiki Charlie Mann

106. arnie says:

GiE. Thanks for being online at 12:25, just to let me out of jail! 😛 And still awake at 3 AM. 😛

No Gibbs?

107. arnie says:

right, on to some music. 😛

108. arnie says:

109. arnie says:

… yet? 😛

111. arnie says:

Dali, in Jodorowsky’s Dune. 🙂 A must see by my book. 🙂 🙂

Worth another airing

Chas
    Remind me how I post a pic PLEASE

Arnie I was up til silly o’clock making sure I didn’t have work stresses today……oh and doing this:

Oh and Gibbs didn’t feature in the final….probably injured 😉

GIE thank you for looking up what happened to the youth team. Saved me an hour!

chas. 🙂 NB??

117. Good morning girlies 🙂

Arnie, do you never sleep? and a Happy Birthday to George, great video GIE 😀

118. Chas had the blooming cheek to post that sauna video on my blog and suggest it was me… I may have started to develop a pair of Bristols but they’re not tha large 🙂

No bigger than Akinfenwa’s NB 🙂

GIE. Terrific video.

121. arnie says:

ha ha ha. Brilliant, GiE. And happy birthday, George. 🙂

NorthBank. No. 🙂

122. GIE

At 80 kilos I think I’m half the size of Akinfedwa…. 🙂

123. Arnie
    Well you should get some sleep…. very good for the mental health mate, I try to get at least 9 hours a day, recharge the ol’ brain cells 🙂

Cheers Raddy and NB, iMacs make that kind of thing so easy.

It’s funny children of George and Harry’s generation are going to have every day of their life photographed and videoed, my parents probably had 1000 photos maximum to choose from to embarrasse when I turned 18, George is 2 and Harry 4 months and there is probably around 7000 photos already on my computer, actually there not on my computer I’ve had to buy spare Hard Drives to keep them on and to keep the computer working at a quick speed.

GIE. On my iMac all I can do is post on AA and send emails 😡

NB. I am the same weight I was 25 years ago – trouble is it is distributed differently

127. GIE

I saw a story yesterday that actually, new technology will mean future generations will have less photos to look at, something to do with them being lost or something. I’ll try to find it.

128. arnie says:

NorthBank. That is a perpetual source of domestic disagreement in the Arnie household. Wifey thinks the optimum is 10 hours, I think more like 7. 🙂

BTW, that NorthBank video is fabulous. Did not realise NB was a Finnish pretender. 😛

Real Sociedad’s beat Barcelona last weekend!
    And now Real Sociedad want our Joel Campbell

Quiz: who is the current manager of Real Sociedad?

130. Tell me about it Raddy 🙂
    10 years ago when I’d just turned 50 I was 65 kilos…. no matter what I do just can’t reduce the ol’ ‘bidon belge’, I think that call it in France. But to do that I’d probably have to give up wine, something I’m not prepared to even consider 😀

131. arnie says:

Evonne. Is that numpty your new favourite as our future manager? 😛 or is it Poker Tin? Martina is now out of contention, I guess. 😛

no arnie. As Rasp would say ‘ I didn’t say’ numpty is my favourite as our new manager. I am simply staggering to understand how come he managed Everton very well, is doing well, so far, in Spain and had failed so miserably with the Mancs

133. The mysteries of life Yvonne, we’ll never fully understand 🙂

134. arnie says:

Evonne. all random fluctuations, LUCK of the draw. Much teh same for Martina, as all can see this year. The Poker Tin bubble will burst probably next year, or the following. Not for 18 years. It takes a very special talent to achieve consistency. 🙂

Morning All, 🙂

arnie – are you saying that Moyes was lucky at Everton and he is lucky in Spain, but unlucky in Mancunia?

And who is Martina? Roberto?

NB. I have the same problem. I call it my wine lake.

I have reduced my food intake down to the very minimum in order to facilitate my wine consumption.

138. I’ve often wondered about when a man gains weight, you put on extra weight every where but the ol’ purple headed yoghurt slinger stays exactly the same size 😦

139. Raddy

mines a wine mountain 🙂

140. arnie says:

hmmm. Evonne, Everton was OK, not fabulous. Particularly given the investments that went in.

But Sociedad? 18 points from 17 games? Just because they managed to scrape a 1-0 win against Barca with only 30% possession?

Even Stoke did that to us this year. 😛 hmmm.

141. arnie says:

yes, Roberta. 😛

Morning all. A very Happy Birthday to George – when is he going to be attending his first game at THOF? 😀

I actually proposed to Mrs Exile to When I’m Sixty Four.

Made a photo book (photos of us and the lyrics to a playlist). Put playlist on gave her her Christmas Present (the book you dirty minded individuals) took dog for long walk, came back into bedroom she was already weepy got down on bended knee and then she really cried.

To this day I haven’t worked out what kind of tears they were 🙂

144. arnie says:

wow. very romantic, GiE. 🙂

NB it’s all about making sure you make Hard Drive copies of your images….and printing the good ones.

I also have everything backed up to an online facility called Backblaze which at $5.99 per month for unlimited space is a no brainer!

146. GIE

I’ve got tears of laughter with the image of proposing to a woman to the Beatles ‘When I’m 64’ 😀

Mrs GIE was probably the same 🙂

I wonder if Szczesny has pushed Arsene too far? I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Ospina start our next couple of games.

How about a back door snatch of Loris from the spuds anyone? 😆

148. arnie says:

No, Rasp, too erratic. Cech is better option IMO. 🙂

149. RC78 says:

PiG is a fine keeper but not a great GK and he has not improved much in his decision making. He is a good as a shot-stopper and is not bad one-on-one but his areal ability despite being a giant is weak and he is just unreliable for ball handling (always^punching away!) and in coming out of his goal line…I think he would benefit being on the bench for a while but above all, he would benefit working with a very good older GK like Schwarzer, Howard or Friedel

Sorry arnie, but you’re wrong 😛 Loris is an exceptional keeper and a lot younger than Czech – who is going nowhere btw

RC, it would appear that AW does not think Sz is a great shot stopper according to a recent comment.

151. arnie says:

RC78. Schwarzer, Howard or Friedel. Now, these are fine names. I like that. 🙂 if there is one position where there is always good talent in teh EPL is the GK department.

152. RC78 says:

I may be Old School guyz but I like my GK to hold the ball when saving/coming out on corners or free-kicks and not punching the ball constantly…That’s why I rate Cech a lot…Lloris is a great GK, much better than PiG but again, he is not as reliable as a Cech, Courtois, Hart or De Gea…

De Gea is so improved – outstanding this year…

St-Etienne has a fine GK, his name is Ruffier. He is better than PiG

The top 3 goalies in the PL are probably De Gea, Loris and Courtois – all young. The Brad Friedls/Schwarzers are great to have as back-up. I’ve been quite impressed with what I’ve seen of Ospina so far and Martinez is a very decent 3rd choice.

Rasp – I love Lloris! ! Let’s get him!! Most footballers are all about money. Hugo was born to a very wealthy and influential parents, but all he wanted to do is to play footy 🙂 terrific guy and a good keeper

That was a great vid of George, GIE, [happly birthday to him] and he is going to be a wow with the girls when he grows up — obviously takes after his mom!! 😀

Rasp – did you read what my brother reported? In a nutshell – Szczesny won’t play this season again. No smoke without fire and Wojciech was smoking in the changing rooms

157. arnie says:

Rasp. 🙂

158. RC78 says:

Do we have a post for today? If not, here is a two-liners:

Our beloved club has struggled to find a suitable replacement to…David Seaman as a GK. Some may argue that Lehmann was suitable but I believe that except for one season, Lehmann was erratic and unreliable and did not offer enough guarantees…We had placed high hopes in Fabianski but they faded quickly. We then placed our faith in the Sczecesny, also know as the Pole in Goal (PiG) and despite some improvements, he still fails to reassure us and this season he has been quite horrific (check link: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/15118/9634573/premier-league-arsenals-wojciech-szczesny-is-struggling-for-form-but-will-arsene-wenger-wield-the-axe ).

Should we continue with PiG as our Nr. 1 GK for this season or shall we test Ospina who is a fine Colombian international over the next few games? Also, would you consider selling PiG this summer and if so, would you like our club to purchase if Ospina does not offer enough reliability as Nr. 1 GK?

159. arnie says:

We need a no 2 to Ospina. Szcz is good enough, but if he is not in teh right frame of mind, we need a second GK. IMO. 🙂

Hi Eddie, yes I saw that. A friend of mine met Sz at a club. He was wasted and very OTT. I’m afraid his party animal lifestyle may cost him his place at Arsenal.

Poor peaches is not at all well and I’m snowed under with work this morning …. has anyone got a few lines for a post today please?

When was that Rasp? New year?

163. RC78 says:

RASP – Do we have a post for today? If not, here is a two-liners:

No, it was a while ago Eddie, but not the first time I have heard of him over indulging 😦

…. New post …….

166. With a couple of quick internet suggestions, you can ease into a fundamental, open up, mild and
    compelling website. Even so, there are certain things you must know about moviestarplanet hack that can help improve your experience, most of which are reviewed in this post.
    t sign in for them, they also rob you of your money.