Arsenal’s Goalkeeper – Stick, Twist or Bust?

Our beloved club has struggled to find a suitable replacement for David Seaman as a GK. Some may argue that Lehmann was that man, but I believe that except for one season, Lehmann was erratic and unreliable and did not offer enough guarantees. We had placed high hopes in Fabianski but they faded quickly. We then placed our faith in the Sczecesny, also know as the Pole in Goal (PiG) and despite some improvements, he still fails to reassure us and this season he has been quite horrific (check link: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/15118/9634573/premier-league-arsenals-wojciech-szczesny-is-struggling-for-form-but-will-arsene-wenger-wield-the-axe ).

Should we continue with PiG as our Nr. 1 GK for this season or shall we test Ospina who is a fine Colombian international over the next few games? Also, would you consider selling PiG this summer and if so, would you like our club to purchase if Ospina does not offer enough reliability as Nr. 1 GK?

Written by RC78

95 Responses to Arsenal’s Goalkeeper – Stick, Twist or Bust?

1. ‘morning all, a simple question RC78, and simply answered. There are better ‘keepers out there than our current incumbents, if a top quality one becomes available, just as in any other position, we should buy him.

We will not compete with the top clubs for the top prizes if we do not have the top players.

2. RC78 says:

NG – indeed, we need top players at every position to land the top prizes. At the moment, I am afraid that we do not really have top players at every position…starting with GK…

3. Pat7 says:

I would love to stick with TPiG but if he is not pushed by improved coaching or a realistic No2 then I’d opt for someone like Cech to cover us until he is mature!

Ospina is too small at 6 foot to operate permanently in the EPL. Unless Chez improves his distribution etc, let alone his consistency and behaviour of late we need to find another solution.

4. RC78 says:

Cech will not be allowed to join us…I was always surprised that we did not make a move for Schwarzer or even Shay Given when they were made available. Both come with a wealth of experience and great GK ability and could have pushed PiG harder…Sometimes I feel that we are too kind with your players…

5. RC78 says:

Even now, Victor Valdes is available although I do not rate him as much as Cech

6. Pat7 says:

Agreed RC but i think Shay is in the same sizing as Ospina and though a great keeper was a touch short for the EPL demands of today especially with the current referees allowing what goes on in the box……another post subject?

How about bringing in his Polish coach who has done wonders for keeping over there or someone of that ability who he respects and can manage him to maturity?

Interesting question, RC78, but it begs the question, how does Arsene prise the top (best?) GKs from the clubs that they are already at?

If the alternative is to recruit younger GKs with potential, like the Chavs did with Curtois, that is a long term project , so the question is then, is Szcezney the best we have in the meantime.

Ospina has a good pedigree, but he seems injury prone – not a good start – and most of the top (best) GKs tens to have strapping physiques – lie Exile 🙂 and Ospina……doesn’t.

Too soon to rule him out,I guess. but time and tide await no man who is just trying to prove himself in the Premier League.

For me, Chezzer is OK — a naughty boy sometimes, but a better Keeper than some are giving him credit for. No surprise there.

Martinez looks to have the makings of a good keeper too, but my personal favourite (the kiss of death for his career) is 6′ 6″ Mat Macey, still a youngster but an English Curtois maybe?

He should be loaned out immediately, as there are too many young keepers at Arsenal – and none of them are getting enough playing time and therefore are not getting the necessary experience.

That went wrong with the spelling. 🙂

— “most of the top (best) GKs tend to have strapping physiques – like Exile”

9. RC78 says:

My biggest problem with PiG is that his learning curve is very slow for someone who has been a starter for a few seasons now…and he still cannot read the game well…Until Kos was fit last year, PiG was well covered but after that, we saw his limitations…He is a good GK, do not get me wrong but is he top tier? I do not think so

10. The Cockie Monster says:

I don’t know why we`re even having a poll…… (apart from needing an excuse for a post !, actually what`s the difference between a pole and a post ? )………. it`s Szczesny all day for me !, he makes mistakes, but what goalie doesn`t ?…..Hart does all the time !.
    As Redders says, a better goalie than given credit for !.
    Like most of you I`ve played plenty of football over the years and there has always been one common recurring factor amongst them ( goalies ) ……….they are all big mouthed over the top fcuking mad exhibitionists !……yet to meet a shy cowering timid introverted wallflower one !……If they where not goalies, they would be dictators trying to overthrow small countries !.

Viva El Chezzer !……Arsenal Goal Keeper and future Presidente de Republic Lesbania !.

RC 78. Thanks for the post.

I would definitely stick with TPIG.

1. He was the joint Golden Glove winner last season at just 23 y.o.

2. TPIG’s age.

Age GK’s started as AFC first teamer’s:

Jennings 32
    Lukic 25
    Seaman 27
    Lehman 34
    Almunia 27
    TPIG 19.

Mr Wenger clearly sees Szczesny as a future AFC stalwart. He is just 24 and has already played 132 games. True, he has made a few blunders this season but name a keeper who doesn’t (Seaman – Nayim from the halfway line + Ronaldinho the same).

The votes to play Ospina baffle me. Based upon what? A few good games in the WC and one against a Hull team who had no shots on target? Ospina was signed as a necessary and valuable back-up because Fabianski wanted first team football – nothing more.

It seems that people just want change for change’s sake.

TPIG is already a very competent GK and one who is learning – witness his fine performance against the aerial onslaught at WHU.

In the words of the literary genius Bon Jovi…. “keep the faith”

12. RC78 says:

It s hard to keep the faith sometimes though…

Maybe a stint on the bench will force PiG to up his game and get out of his comfort zone…

13. RC78 says:

In the meantime, Valdes is poised to join Man Utd

Sorry I have missed some of the recent posts.

Thanks RC, I think GIE’s views would be of great relevance here as and when he pops on. My view is to stick with Chezzer. I feel a bit sorry for him because he is trying to develop into a top keeper at a time when the club has probably been at its worst for some while in terms of the defensive organisation in front of him. Unless you stick him behind the Chelsea defence for season and cech vice versa we cannot be sure whether someone like Cech is actually any better.

At the moment I feel he is having to make too many difficult 50-50 decisions due to the inability of the players in front of him to deal with certain threats well. I feel it is paramount that we sort out our defensive midfield and defensive frailities first then analyse if Chezzer is still a mistake prone keeper, otherwise we may be letting go one of the worlds best young keepers and bring in someone older who we thought would be better, but behind our defence actually isn’t.

15. That’s a very good point GoonerB.

For what ever reason, injuries, post World Cup ennuie, injuries, suspensions and again injuries has seen Szczesny play behind an ever changing back four frequently made up of a melange of players playing out of position, a situation guaranteed to give even the most stolid of characters the heebie-jeebies.

I’d still like to see the club sign a top notch ‘keeper though.

16. arnie says:

RC78. bad news coming out of Paris. hope you are ok, mate.

is RC78 a cartoonist?

I voted for none, I want Lloris.

Less than 20% voted for Szcz, wow, he aint popular, is he?

ha ha ha ha, that’s a brilliant joke ” Arsenal bit £64m for Isco”

19. wally says:

Play Ospina, send a message. No one is safe.

20. wally says:

“None of the other five goalkeepers at Arsenal’s rival clubs have made more than two errors leading to a goal or shot so far this season. Szczesny has made six.”

Says it all.

21. That’s horrendous, a barbaric attack. Hope you’re OK RC78.

22. Peaches//Rasp, post submitted via arsenalnuts.

23. Eddie, the Isco story is brought to us by the Dail Star, the very same newspaper that published a picture of a WW11 bomber and a London bus on the Moon.

There could be just a teeny weeny bit of doubt about it’s veracity. 😀

Thanks RC78

100% stick with Sz. Buying in Jan is hard enough, and there are far more pressing needs like DM and LW.

25. Micky, I think your wish for a pointy-end player is about to be fulfilled, another of our prolific strike force is about to follow Podolski out the door, Joel Campbell. That creates the vacancy.

26. arnie says:

Lovely and timely post, RC78. 🙂

I have voted for sticking with Szcz as well. However, Ospina deserves a chance and let him get that. If he turns out to be more reliable, we will revisit this space. We need some competition.

Cheers 78.

I have invested a lot of time and mental energy on Chesney. Ever since the geezer broke into the team I have backed him as a potential great.

Now we hear hes into fag water sports and all of a sudden thats it? Not for me it bloody well aint. What he likes to do in the comfort of his own shower by indulging his rubber duck is his own business, no one elses.

I hope Arsene picks him this weekend and he shows us exactly what he is, a top class goalkeeper.

As for Ospina, who is the bloke? He looked a good goalkeeper at the world cup and may prove to be different class for us, but I dont want to mess around with that kind of risk now for gods sake. We need victories to mount our late title charge.

28. RC78 says:

Guyz – I live in Belgium so I am safe and sound but thanks for the concerns. Horrific news indeed and I hope that this cowardly and terrorist attack will not fuel too much hatred in a country already marred by discrimination…The best news would be to see leaders of major mosques in Europe and major Muslim countries to voice their disapproval of the attack and to pledge funds and men to the fight against terrorism…Again, France can do better in terms of social inclusion and integration but to be honest, a terrorist attack will only fuel hatred and votes for the extreme right so I hope that the local muslim community will pre-emptively act in a dignified and contstructive way to avoid a further drift within our society…

Regarding our defense and PiG’s situation behing a weaker than usual back four, I would say: look at De Gea and Lloris. They are doing a fine jobs in making key saves and earning their teams points…Our back four is weaker (we miss a fit Kos!) but it s not an excuse for lousy GK and I bet that Cech would do better than PiG with our defense in front of him…

29. RC78 says:

TMHT – PiG is a proud and arrogant GK and I hope that he will demonstrate that he is a truly great GK but I think that a stint on the bench would do him good and I am quite certain that Ospina will deputize well in his absence. He was among the best GK in France and the French league has quite a few GKs (Sirigu, Ruffier, Mandanda…)

30. arnie says:

well, Terry, I beg to differ on this one. It is not so simple as playing with a fag in an isolated corner of your own house. Or not indeed, posing for the cameras having a fag, as Jack did.

This was an away game. and in the shower of the away lockers. This is more serious. We dio not know, but the club may have been sent expenses as well. Plus all teh bad publicity.

Nevertheless, if it is an isolated incident spurred by the terrible game that Szcz had, it is OK. Just cool his heels for a few games, and he should be fine. IMO. 🙂

31. arnie says:

ah, silly me. RC78 lives in Brussels, of course. 😛

32. RC78 says:

I am very confused…lol…PSG fan and Arsenal fan married to a Londoner but living in Brussels…I excuse you Arnie – lol

Thanks for the post RC78 🙂

I think some of you are missing the point about the shower incident (assuming it is true)

The one thing that a keeper needs more than any other player is judgement. What part of SZ’s thought process led him to this conclusion …. “I’ve just had a stinker of a game, I feel I’ve let myself, the team, the manager and the supporters down …. I know what I’ll do, I’ll have a fag in the showers and risk upsetting all those people even more … it’s worth the risk so I can feel sorry for myself and indulge in a habit that the whole world knows is not good for your health and set a bad example to all the young kids that idolise me ….

…. bloody brilliant! … but actually I’m still more upset with Giroud for his petulance because that probably cost us 3 points against the saints, at least Sz’s misdemeanour was after the event 😦

34. RC78 says:

Rasp – Giroud’s red card is just inexcusable…lack of professionalism and foolish

35. The Cockie Monster says:

Has anyone actually got a photo of Szczesny in the shower with a fag ?……..we know that in the USA, a fag is a slang name for a poofter !……so lets get this right !…..was Szczesny smoking a cigarette in the shower….which I find a bit weird as wouldn`t the water put out the cigarette ?…..or was Szczesny “smoking” on a “Septic” in the shower ?………lets face it, in our current health wise and PC society, Szczesny would be less liable to a club fine for sucking off Stan, than having a quick puff in the shower and more likely to get a new contract in the pipe line !.

I agree, RC78 – that was my point. Giroud’s action actually cost the club more than Sz’s fag-gate

Good morning from a snow bound London, Ontario. A foot of snow on the ground and it’s still coming down, temperature -15c and with the wind chill it’s the equivalent of -25c. The worst thing about it is that I have to venture outside today – the great white north I guess.

To RC78’s topic of the day.

I’ve been fortunate enough to see our greatest keepers in action going back to
    George Swindin (1936-1953)
    Jack Kelsey (1951-1962)
    Bob Wilson (1963-1974)
    Pat Jennings (1977-1984)
    John Lukic (1984-1990)-(1996-2000)
    David Seaman (1990-2003)

Since those top class goalies we have had a procession of average to good keepers with the best of the bunch being Jens Lehmann.

Without a top class keeper in our ranks our results have only been high average, to be top class it’s a must to have strength in the net.

Since Seaman left in 2003 we have won only 2 FA cups – it`s simply NOT a coincidence.

78, this is no joke and completely true, last time I was in Brussels some geezer pulled a knife out on me.

I was with the Mistress and had just got out of the train station. It was freezing and raining, we needed directions but there was no one about.

I then spotted some geezer walking down the road but when I approached him he pulled out a big blade. The mistress was hissing “No Terry, hes got a knife. I need you alive to pay the hotel bill”

I was so cold and pissed off I approached him anyway and started showing him my map. He tried to walk away but I followed and because he looked Arabic tried to win him over by muttering that I was a big fan of Tutankhamun.

After walking half way down the road he finally relented and stopped to help me. Turned out he was a really nice bloke and used his knife to point me in the right direction.

Rasp, Giroud made an error of judgement in a heated moment during a game – completely unintentional, whereas Szczesny made and an intentional decision to break the rules – and apparently not for the first time. He`s just another young pro who thinks he`s got it made and is above and beyond reproach – somebody needs to jerk his chain!

40. The Cockie Monster says:

Nothing to do with Goalies or Psychotic Dictators as I like to call them, but Arsene`s impressive FA Cup 3rd round record !…..from Arsenal.com.

RC78 – you are right about Giroud, got himself sent off for nothing. If he was going to get a red card the very least he could do was to do some damage to the bastard

42. RC78 says:

Eddie + 1…..lol

I’m with you on that GN5, I think Sz’s actions were the more irresponsible and Giroud’s the more costly.

I think Almunia has been one of the worst long term Arsenal incumbents of the No.1 shirt. A very nice man but below average PL keeper. Why we kept him for so long is a mystery to me. He regularly cost us points.

For me it`s very straight forward great teams are always backed by great goalkeepers.

Gareth Bale’s more talented brother ….

Sorry off topic 😕 GN5, who would you like to see at the Arsenal that would fall into that ‘great goalkeeper’ bracket?

Eddie Eddie Eddie

Forget the Daily Star, Ladbrokes have us as favourite for Isco, and here’s the really good bit…$64M. Fabulous.

Oh and on the Sz smoking nonsense. He is far more valuable to us right now than Ollie, so if we are going to take sides… 🙂

You know it makes sense

Come on GN5, you know very well….

Great teams are always fronted by great strikers 🙂

I am willing to concede that PIG may not become a top class keeper but when I look at GN5’s list I still question who those keepers had playing in front of them compared to PIG.

I think I feel it is just too early to judge him because the whole teams defensive organisation has at times been a joke and any keeper playing behind that is under more pressure and therefore called into having to make more instant decisions than they should have to.

“The defence haven’t dealt with it, there is danger here, should I stay or go out to meet the player?” The keepers at better organised teams probably don’t have to go through that scenario as often and the more it happens the more statistically you are likely to make some wrong calls.

I feel the defensive issues are a mix of personnel (not having the right players) and coaching. On a personnel basis Utd are no better than us, but are they better organised and better coached from a team defensive aspect? I suspect they are so again it is hard to compare with De Gea. He has also had his rocky moments in the past but is looking good now, so if we get our defence right in both personnel and coaching and tactics what kind of PIG would we see then?

Rasp

Sz is only 24, and could easily be one of the very great keepers.

Fine him a couple of quid for the fag, make him run up and down the Brecons a few times, and be done with it.

I genuinely believe he’s saved Arsenal’s bacon so many times with great saves, and very few of his howlers have ended in conceding goals.

Hi Micky, I didn’t say he couldn’t be a great keeper 😀 I said his judgement was poor (during the game and in the showers!)

If he’s going to make it to being a great keeper he has to know when to play football (hardly ever) and when to concentrate on being solid and stopping the round thing going into the onion bag 🙂

So Micky, is Isco preferable to Cavani in your outrageously expensive striker/AM list? 🙂

Cavani over Isco for me Rasp.

I’m beginning to think City have a decent chance of dumping Barca out of the CL. Not only are Barca in complete disarray at the moment, but Bony is a great acquisition for city and Aguero will be back by then also.

Looks like Dzeko will have to find a new club in the summer.

Rasp, We can only judge the quality of a player based on the limited amount of times we see them in action, many players never come to our attention because we don’t see them play. The South American countries are a good example as we would only see a few of their keepers during International games. That’s why we have extensive scouting systems and scouting experts, but so do all of the other top clubs. The likelihood of finding a diamond in the rough is becoming more and more remote, which is why most teams are defendant on their training and coaching staff to nurture talent along.

I only watch the PL and it’s obvious who the best keepers are but they are already locked up on contracts.

The problem at the moment is that you would look at Cech and Lloris being better keepers so if available and if we have serious ambition you would have to say go for them. The problem could be is that they arrive just as we improve the defence so there would always be that nagging doubt about what PIG could have been. I agree with Micky that PIG has saved us a lot as well.

Micky, I would take a great keeper over a great striker every time.

59. RC78 says:

The GKs below 30 that are decent in our league are:

Courtois – 22
    De Gea – 24
    Hart – 27
    Lloris – 28
    Begovic – 27
    Forster – 26
    Adrian – 27
    Mignolet – 26

How does our PiG rate vs them according to you? Please rank from 1 to 9…

Here is my ranking so far this season:
    De Gea / Courtois / Lloris / F. Forster / Hart / Adrian / Begovic / PiG / Mignolet

Rasp

Behave. Both 🙂

Isco would be to replace Mesut, so still need a worldy striker 🙂

61. RC78 says:

My ultimate EPL squad so far:

De Gea – Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry, Azpi – Sanchez, Matic, Fabregas, Di Maria or Silva – Aguero, Costa

Honorable mentions: Courtois – Coleman, Fonte – Sygurdson, Milner – Lamela, Sterling – Kane, Austin

62. RC78 says:

Micky – if Mesut leaves, do we need a replacement?

Although I have complained about Arsene having hampered our season by not bringing in certain players in the summer I am not one for a “we need 6 world class players and need to spend £100m”. I would actually be quite happy to draft in Afobe and / or Akpom and give them a go rather than spend £50m on Cavani. I would also be happy with a Winston Reid who is not overly expensive and then spend a bit more on the DM

I wouldn’t buy a replacement for Mesut RC unless we had a shout for Reus. That would change my view.

have you been drinking DidIt darling?

RC78 – no, we don’t. Our midfield is formidable. Buy defenders, despite what drunken DidIt says

66. RC78 says:

GB – agree with you…Reuss would be great but he is more of a striker/forward…

I just would like to inform you that in 2015, four players from PSG will be on fire:

– Lucas Moura
    – Javier Pastore
    – Marco Verratti and, of course,
    – Zlatan Ibrahimovic

If Motta, Silva and Luiz get back to a decent level, we have a chance at beating the Chavs but trust me, the four mentioned above are looking very sharp already…

I must say that the video with a nutter in the harvester cheered me up – the innocence of laugher and not taking oneself too seriously, beautiful

I think Reus is one of those that can genuinely play anywhere behind the number 9 RC either wide or centrally and possibly even as a number 9. He has a formidable strike rate as a wide attacker, possibly the best outside of Messi and Ronaldo. I would like to see us with an interchanging front 3 and so like a striker that is comfortable working wide channels and attacking wide players and number 10’s that are happy getting into the box and score goals. Imagine having Sanchez and Reus as 2 of the 3 players (Attack left / right and number 10 / ACM) behind the striker and still have options from Theo, Ox, Santi?

Ha ha Eddie

RC78
    Do we need to replace Mesut if he goes?
    First thing is that what’s tricky about that question is which position does he currently occupy, because I haven’t got a clue.
    2nd part is, yes absolutely. If we remember that not one of our current players (Sanchez aside) would get into one of Arsene’s title winning sides, then it’s more quality we need, not less.

70. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all, Good question, a little surprised its taken so long to ask. . Czezesney seems to have many supporters. Personally i voted for an experienced new keeper, but of course, left to Wengers choice we would probably get worse than we have. Wenger would have to find a keeper who is injured first, and then nurse him back to health only to find he is to old and spent.

I would naturally like to see the Pig gone, but Wenger will stand by him through thick and thin, But while we wait for Wengers favourite to eat humble pie, i would use Martinez a young man who seems like he has a calm attitude good kicking and decent distribution, he has shown that he is also a shot stopper and moves around his box well.

Of course Wenger will use him now and again, but he wont give up on the PIG he’ll go when Wenger does.

71. The Cockie Monster says:

We just cant help but be popular !.

The FA have confirmed that Arsenal’s FA Cup 4th Round match with Brighton at the AMEX Arena has been selected by BT Sport for live broadcast.

The game will be played on Sunday 25 January at 4pm.

The decision means the Gunners next five fixtures will all be broadcast live in the UK, with upcoming games against Stoke City, Manchester City and Aston Villa all on Sky Sports and the North London derby at Sp*rs also on BT Sport.

Cheers RC78.

I voted for Szczesny.
    It seems a little premature to write him off just yet.
    Perhaps he just had a little bit hangover on New years day.

Bloody Nora. Just went to vote and Sz has just 22%!!!

Blimey, I thought he’d been really good for us. One bad day and a fag and you’d give him the elbow.

Fire the whole bloody lot of ’em while you’re about it you ungrateful….b..b… nice people 🙂

Chas
    Cheers for instructions. Copied and pasted 🙂

Madrid derby tonight, let’s see if that Isco is good enough for us

Torrez with blond hair, Bale with an Alice band twat

I can see why Isco is linked with Arsenal – he is a short Spanish midfielder, just what we need

Feck Isco, I want Varane, now he is what we need

79. arnie says:

I suspect Micky has not been drinking that much. More likely withdrawal symptoms – 8 days and counting now. 😛

Rasp. lovely silly video. 🙂

GN5. dont get me scared, please. off to Michigan on Saturday. 🙂 What is a good time for you to head south? 🙂

80. arnie says:

talking of GKs, is Kelsey OK?

Arnie
    Spoke to Crystals and he’s waiting for one or two test results. Fingers crossed.

Ok seriously doomy news on the transfer front this wet morning.

Not a squeak of anyone costing more than a couple of mill 😦

🙂

Right. Off on manoeuvres.

Hopefully catch up on some expensive news once on a train.

Morning All

Wet, cold and windy here. May be time to move somewhere warm.

The papers are getting silly with talk of €200m transfer for Messi. How does that fit with any clubs FFP?

I heard that Messi had a huge bust up with the manager. This does not mean he will be leaving Barca. The manager will.

The 17 year old linked with us is a polish kid from Warsaw – very good by default.

NB. No. I am Charlie

89. Raddy
    In France today I am French, an attack on Freedom of expression attacks all artists. 😦

Haven’t had a chance to read comments. But my take.

Keep Szczesny….nowhere near the best age for a keeper yet, but he is learning at the hard end. I actually think his command of the area is getting better in terms of high ball.

Here’s an excuse for his moment of madness at Saints. In previous games he had BFG on left side. So had to be ready to cover. Then suddenly its Kos and then confusion.

now thereis a surprise – GiE defending Szcz, psssshhhhh