Good performance and a good win – discuss

Pluses:

How composed we were in the second half at 1-0 up. We didn’t do the usually cavalry charge trying to find more goals. Instead we were content to sit back, not over-commit and to control the game. The FBs in particular were careful not to get too carried away. The well deserved second came as Hull tired themselves out.

The BFG: he loves the Cup!

Coquelin: our best player against Saints (though that’s not saying much), he had another fine game today. To me he looks a better option at DM than Flamini.

Campbell: yes, a bit wasteful, but he worked really hard and some of his link-up play was very good. Given how little first team minutes he has had he proved that he’s a good bench option.

Santi/Rosicky: two very good playmakers who worked really well in tandem.

The First Half: the movement of our front three (supported by TR7 and Santi) was excellent at times and we were unlucky not to be 2 or 3 up at HT.

Ospina: not a lot to do, but he did it well.

Arsene Wenger: top marks for listening to my suggested formation, given our injuries! (Against Saints I found it mystifying that he would give a first-ever start in a DM position to young Chambers when he could just have gone with Coquelin, with two more forward-minded MFs in front of him. That’s what he did today and we looked much better, albeit against weaker opposition).

Overall: the thing that pleased me most yesterday was that throughout the entire game we actually looked organized: the players looked like they knew their jobs and what was expected of them, which is not something you can always say about Arsenal.

What did you think?

RockyLives

210 Responses to Good performance and a good win – discuss

1. Sorry Rocky, I nicked your comment for a post. Thank you

2. RC78 says:

Decent game overall but we need to kill these games…

Big worry – Sanchez looks exhausted…

We are a thin team at the moment but happy to see Theo back in action although he played poorly…

Let us get sorted with two defensive players during this transfer window: one def and one DM. Khedira available for 11 Mln EUR although I think that we need someone even meaner and stronger than him in DM…

3. Pat7 says:

Well done Rocky )).

I’ve always liked Coquelin and was sad at his disappearance on loan to a lower division so pleased he has a ceond chance now. He is certainly making his mark now but has obviously watched Matthieu too much: those double foot tackles will get him sent off soon. I held my breath last night after the first, the second fortunately missed and luckily the third just earned a yellow.! A different ref and we are down to ten and possible game reversal! I hope someone coaches that out of him after yesterday.

4. RC78 says:

Coquelin is not a top DM guys…he is at most a bench player at AFC…He belongs to teams like Hull or Burnley – he won’t cut it for a while for a top tier team. He is limited tactially…a lot of growing to do.

RL. Thank you

I agree with RC78. Coquelin, though enthusiastic is not AFC quality, which is a shame because we need someone young in that position.

Do we buy Khedira knowing we will be lucky to get 3 good (fit) years from him or a Carvarlho who at 23 has many good years ahead of him and be taught to play Wengerball?

6. Pat7 says:

RC78 You could well be right and certainly we need to buy in a class DM and CB at least but in the meantime the guy has the right attitude but needs some coaching for all our sakes )) !

7. Pat7 says:

It’s a shame we missed out on the £12M option back then from Liverpool? who’s still playing great at top level albeit in a slower game…..can’t think of his name. I’d go for the younger option BR.

Pat. Another one who got away 😦

Thanks Rocky – for not intending to write a post 😀

I agree we looked like a team yesterday.

Would that team have won against top 6 opposition? – No

Would a team that included all the players we are waiting to come back from the sick bay beat top 6 opposition – only if they play as a team.

Work rate, balance, organisation, and preparation are 90% of the requirement against top teams. The other 10% is the individual brilliance that great players have that can win you a game against a top side that is equal to, or better than you.

10. Does anyone think that Theo will start against Stoke? I need to make a decision whether to include him in my Fantasy PL team 🙂

11. Rasp

What % in that calculation would you attribute to luck 🙂

12. Sorry Rocky, forgot to say what a very good post mate, well done for being chosen by Mrs Peaches 🙂

13. Pat7 says:

Xabi Alonso was the guy we should have signed back then ))

14. Pat7 says:

No chance as a starter NB surely…….maybe 87th minute :-)))))

15. arnie says:

Lovely one, Rockstar, even if it was unintended. 😛

I am in general agreement with the post and disagree with the general tone of comments.

There were three things that made the difference yesterday. Well, actually four, the final one being that Hull were shite, so I am not focussing on that.

First, Alexis played a bit deeper. His fighting for the ball in the midfield throughout the game makes a big difference. Well, he may be knackered, but reports say he was offered a rest and opted to play.

That is the man. He will take on any challenge and go on fighting till he drops dead. That will come, but hopefully by then we will have got our hands on the 4th place trophy, FA Cup and CL. 😛 I know, I know, if wishes were horses ….. 😛 But in any case, he brings a streetfighter attitude that is otherwise missing from our game. Hopefully, he can be rested when we are two up in any game.

Second, Coquelin looks good to me. Together with Flamster or Arteta he will be very good. I know that puts perhaps a spanner into the chances of getting a top bill from the market, or on the chances of Jack to get a regular place. But there we go.

I would be happy if we can get Carvalho, because he is young, but not Khedira or some other half-crocked oldie. Coq will turn out to be good IMO.

Third, Welbz is not a finished product, too erratic, and needs competition. Personally, I am therefore happy with Theo getting some minutes. But also Campbell.

That is my twopence. Yes, NorthBank, Theo on aginst Stoke. 🙂

16. RC78 says:

As for Campbell, his best position is 9 1/2 or right forward. He is a player that needs to have someone to link-up with. I would love to see him play in this set-up as I believe he would be quality then:

Giroud
    Sanchez Campbell Walcott

17. G’day all, My thanks to Steve Bruce for offering his team for a non-competitive practice match, very generous.

When a manager makes ten changes to the side that won it’s previous game it says only one thing, “We’ve got no chance, take it easy and try not to get booked or injured”. Now that, Eddie, is a club with other fish to fry.

Another back five combination, was Szczesny dropped? Or was Ospina always going to play? Bellerin, Chambers, Merts and Monreal never looked to be in any sort of trouble and Coquelin did pretty good too.

As to the boys at the pointy end, they did pretty much as they liked, got two goals, alright Merts got one of them but there was an assist involved, and could have had several more. Nice to see Theo eased back into action, understandably a bit rusty but we know how good he can be, Campbell will come good given a few games and with Podolski gone and Sanogo going his opportunities will arrive.

Santi and Alexis were outstanding while Rosicky put in a solid performance.

All in all a good day at the office, the only red herring was poor old Arsene struggling with his zip. 😀

18. arnie says:

RC78. That is a good assessment of Campbell. I like that shape. 🙂

Norfolk. Ospina I think was part of the plan. But now that he has got this game under his belt, I think there is no harm in some rotation and competition. Why not against Stoke? And then let the best man win the position against Shitty away? 🙂

19. If Theo can now stay fit, I can imagine him, Sanchez and Welbeck or Campbell forming a formidable pointy end 🙂

20. Arnie, I agree Szczesny needs a kick up the a**e every so often, it’ll do him no harm to warm the bench for a game or two. Particularly as Wenger seems happy to mix and match his defence.

21. Have we bought anyone yet? 🙂

22. St Etienne defender Loic Perrin has revealed that he’s been contacted by Arsenal over a potential move, the Mirror reports.
    Perrin is said to have told French media: “I was contacted personally. Arsenal are interested. But for now, there is still no contact with Saint-Etienne.”

23. Is this total madness:

Paris St-Germain have not given up the idea of recruiting Barcelona forward Lionel Messi and could be willing to pay a record sum of £164m for the 27-year-old.

24. arnie says:

NorthBank @ 1:56. Agreed. 🙂

Norfolk @ 1:57. Agreed. 🙂

Too much agreement. 😛

25. RC78 says:

My home team is PSG and I can assure you that we will not buy Messi and certainly not at this price…

Loic Perrin is a solid defender but again, I do not believe that he is what we need. We need a tough, rough, mean and strong defender. I would love to see AW make a move for Garay who went to play in Russia. If he does not go for Garay, then there is always Godin but he is older. If AW wants youth, then he should invest in Varane…

I also hope that AW will look for a RB this winter. AC Milan is keen to cash in to build a stronger squad next year and De Sciglio and Abate could do well in the EPL…Lichtensteiner is free at the end of the year and could hence be attracted to our EPL in Jan if Juve does not want to lose him without a fee…

Finally, Khedira is not ideal but he would do the job for us. I like him better than Carvalho who was just awful vs Chelsea. At DM, we need physically strong, tactically strong and technically above average. Bender is the obvious choice for me but to be honest, I would not mind seeing Sissoko join our club because he can add that physicality to our midfield…

Szecesny – Debs, GARAY, Kos, Gibbs – Ox, SISSOKO, Ramsey – Walcott, Giroud, Sanchez

Ospina – De Sciglio, Chambers, BFG, Monreal – Rosicky, Arteta, Wilshere – Cazorla, Wellbeck, Ozil (or Campbell)

26. Can’t have that Arnie 🙂

27. oh bugger… we have a Parisian amongst our ranks 🙂

28. I’d go with Varane RC78, if anyone could persuade him then Arsene could.

29. RC78 says:

NB1969 – it was a matter of time before you found out…I thought I would come out clean now :-p That said, my wife is from London 🙂 Anyways, I grew up right next to the PSG training ground but since 1993-1994, I am an Arsenal fan as well. I was hoping to see a PSG – Arsenal game in the CL but those idiots decide to both finish 2nd and now PSG is facing stOOpid but hard to beat Chelski while Arsenal should be wary of an unpredictable but lethal Monaco side

Good day all. Glad you enjoyed the Post – it took me hours to write 🙂

When’s the FA Cup draw?

31. arnie says:

7:30PM Rocky. 🙂

Micky
    You cheeky chappie!

I’m going to take issue with your method of measuring the comments after wins/losses.

The “post win” or “post loss” comments should also include the next day’s comments when people are still grumbling/celebrating.

My (purely anecdotal) impression is that there is much more grumbling than celebrating – but it needs some proper research to prove it beyond doubt.

Get back to work, laddie… 🙂

33. RC78, Paris? Hmm, only visited twice, both on business, the first time my company innocently booked me into the Hotel Daunou, Rue Daunou. Turned out to be a knocking shop, still you can’t have everything, can you?

Although as it happened there were most things on the menu.

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Thanks arnie

That’ll be 2.30pm for me then.

35. I have to wait an extra hour it’;s 20h30 here 🙂

36. I love Paris……… can’t remember how many times I’ve been there, several plus. Had some great experiences there, ate snails for the first time, went to the Piano Zinc club, camped in the Bois de Boulogne, chatted and had a laugh with half naked prossies on the rue de St Denis, had lunch on a rooftop with views of the Eiffel Tower… ah what a wonderful city 🙂

37. arnie says:

Rocky. Interesting that was exactly the same experience I had on my first Paris visit.

But it was myself to blame. Booked myself into a hotel in the Stade de France area. oh dear! Disaster!!!! 😛 I have been more careful since. 😛

38. arnie says:

yes, NorthBank. But of all the great cities I have visited, I have found some Parisians a bit openly racist. 😦

On the other hand, my fav haunt in France is Normandy, particularly Caen, and it has been fantastic there. 🙂

39. arnie, the French in general can be racist , sorry RC78

In the south it is even worse. I love Normandy as well, has a house in La Manche area (dept 50) for several years, my favourite area for food, lots of butter and cream, cider and calvados…. moules and oysters. Fantastic mate 🙂

40. Crikey! I’ve just looked at the website for the Hotel Daunou, same name, same address but decidedly not the same hotel. Still, it was forty-five years ago that I visited. I guess even the whores are grande-meres now. 😀

41. Bloody farking blimey, I’m having loads of lovely memories about my visits to Paris now… plus pork in a cider and cream sauce a la Normandie 🙂

Rocky – I read the comment last night, but enjoyed it today even more, especially the bit about Wenger listening to you. Just as well Arsene listens to you and not Raddy, or he would play The Ladies yesterday

Yes, we were organized and looked like a team. Why don’t we always manage that? It can’t be down to individuals and must be a combination of players. Yesterday’s combo was spot on, would like to see them again.

Theo. How good is it to have him back? He is probably not 100% match fit, yet he managed to wreck Hull’s defence. His first shot was sooooo Thierry Henry like….minus the accuracy of course.

43. Best hotel I ever stayed in Paris, L’hotel Henry IV, on the Isle de la City, Place dauphane, just next to the Comisariate de Police and the Pont Neuf…. couldn’t get more central and at the time it was cheap, but the bathroom was on the floor above ha ha

I’ve never been to Paris and only had a few days in France in total. Regrettable considering that I love everything that is French – language, people, food, fashion, BB, Allan Delon, Louis de Funes, Edith Piaf…maybe cars and music are not that great, but everything else is. If I go on a proper holidays again it will be to France and Italy

45. RC78 says:

Arnie / NB – unfortunately, you are very right about the racism in France…It is especially true in the labour market…In school, it is not so open but maybe it got worse since I left school a long time ago…

If you need tips for Paris, let me know. I would also encourage going outside Paris to St-Germain en Laye, Rueil Malmaison and of course Versailles

Eddie
    I reckon that the difference between the Southampton and Hull games was not just that Saints are good and Hull are crap. It’s that against Saints, we had players playing out of position. Against Hull they were all playing in their preferred positions and it showed.

Unlike Rasp, I think the 11 who played yesterday would have fared better against Southampton than the 11 who started that game.

47. ha ha, I’ve just looked up the Hotel Henry IV, and it would seem that has gone up market too: but the prices are still good, 80 euros a night with petit dej. Not bad for the centre of Paris, on a lovely square next to the river

Hi Rocky, thanks for the post again 🙂 did I say that the Hull team wouldn’t have fared better against the Saints? I hope not because I think they were the better Arsenal team of the two.

49. RC78

I’ve been to Versaille, wasn’t all that impressed and have visited some of the places frequented by the Impressionists north of the city, along the river, maisons lafitte, Pontoise, Asniere………… ha ha I should have been French 🙂

50. NB, that’s not a bad price, but how much are the whores? 😀

51. Yvonne, you should find the time to visit, with your tastes it is ideal for you. You’d love it… especially Paris 🙂

52. Norfolk, that’s a question I’m unable to answer… I’ve never been rich enough to pay or even ask the going rate 🙂

Fair point Rasp – you didn’t say they would not fare better – you just said they wouldn’t win.

When I suggest they would have fared better, I’m saying they might have won – so perhaps we still differ on that point?

54. NB, Of course, old boy! Mums the word eh! ;D

55. Norfolk
    Paris 45 years ago must have been excellent… in the 70’s

56. The Cockie Monster says:

Yves Saint Laurent and Chanel No 5 knuckledusters….what more could a psychotic fashion guru want !.

57. I think if we’d lined up as we did against Hull we may have got a better result against Southampton…. but it’s one of those things that is consigned to the past and we’ll never know.

nb – I know, but until my mother is alive I spend time with her. Hopefully she will die before me so that I can go on proper holidays 🙂 But you never know with the She Devil

59. Place Dauphine, Paris. Hotel Henry IV… lovely and romantic

Draxler to City and Totts want to sell Hugo Lloris??? Dirty filthy rumours.

61. Yvonne 🙂 you mean whilst your mother is alive ha ha

nb – yes, I do

Paris is OK. France is OK. Italy is better, with friendlier people.

I don’t like friendly people, I will go to France.

65. Then Yvonne, I know the perfect bar and Resto for you in the quartier St Germain, Paris, La Palette, just behind the Musee D’Orsay… renowned for their waiters who take every opportunity to insult you, especially if you are a foreigner 🙂

66. I could imagine you sitting at this bar in your DM’s, La Palette

RC78,

I have always found your comments very closely mirror my own, and that is worrying as the only French I have ever been able to make myself clear in, when in Gay Paris, has been “Sur le pont d’Avignon”.

I am not sure about the racism in Paris, but I have been rudely spurned by Frenchmen of all hues, with an indifferent gallic shrug particularly when I have had the temerity to ask, in my best school-boy French, (technically OK but with a dreadful accent, admittedly) for directions, or to order a meal in a café etc.

My response when someone has been rude to me by saying “Allez-vous, vous êtes un idiot” (or similar) :-), is to make Parisiens flinch away, in case they catch something from the fou américain, is to recite – not sing, ‘Sur le Pont d’Avignon, l’on y danse, l’on y danse, sur le Pont d’Avignon l’on y danse tous en rond, et je vais prendre une tasse de thé.” 🙂

Policemen, who can be very rude, don’t like it – so be ready to run! 😀

is the girl a masochist then, she seems to be loving it 🙂

“The Professional Footballers Association are trying to end “initiation ceremonies”, which include players having to sing in front of their team-mates when joining a new club. ” I’d say the PFA have too much time on their hands

Eddie
    You should definitely stick to France, where they will scowl at you and insult your dogs.

In Italy they would shower you with compliments and make you feel 25 years old. You’d hate every second 🙂

70. Here ya go Redders

Rasp,

I think Rocky is crossing words with you in the hair splitting stakes. 🙂

Technically he is, of course, correct – but I expect to see you, as a great cross-word champion, coming out fighting and getting a few licks of your own in. [NB, not those sort of licks — tho’ the choice is Rasper’s.]

Go to it, guys! 🙂

72. Redders, here’s one about Avignon made more recently by some friends of mine, if you don’t blink you’ll catch a couple of glimpses of me ha ha ha

I have a concern about that, Norther, because that busty young lady on the bendy bridge has my hair!! Yee gads!

What’s with Norfolk and his fishy comments lately?

A ‘red herring’ — is that Wenger’s zipper kipper? 🙂

75. RC78 says:

Transfer news – DM available
    – Ramires allowed to leave Chelsea
    – Thiago Motta demands to leave PSG

Both of them would be great for Arsenal

Paris is a great city, sadly inhabited by the French (sorry RC78!). Been many times, including the Nayim final, and always enjoyed myself.

Eddie. If the Monaco trip comes off I will drive us to Italy, then you will understand

I think I saw a glimpse of you Norther, and I was much taken with your basque – I think it’s love – pity you were not wearing anything below the waist – that will bring competition from Eddie the teddy. 😀

Rocky 🙂 French don’t like dogs?? Are you sure?? The general you like quoting with a pug, he was French, no?

Many years ago I worked in a huge restaurant with people from all over Europe. I got on fabulously with the French, avoided Germans, found Scandinavians boring and Italians slimy – I had to constantly show them where my face was so I could look them in the eye

RC78,

If Ramires is leaving the Chavs, then the ‘Pouty Drama Queen’ must be trying to bring some top player in – probably to spite Arsene – and he would never sell anyone like Cech or Ramires to us.

Eddie
    The French can be magnificent, but rude with it (Napoleon, for example).

They love their own dogs but are snooty about other people’s.

I suspect the Italian chappies were not looking at your eyes… 🙂

81. RC78 says:

RA – true about the Drama Queen…Thiago Motta would be a superp acquisition. Excellent DM and great passer

You would get on with me then Evonne, I always wear sunglasses and you would not know what I was looking at. 🙂

Respect for women – that’s me. 🙂

I am no expert, but the majority of people I met in Paris were probably not French, and may have been tourists! 🙂

Hi Redders, this time you look too deeply 🙂 I have no issue with Rocky’s stance. I thought we put out a well balanced side against Hull as he pointed out in his post – but it probably only included 6 or 7 who would be first choice if everyone was fit.

The reason I said ‘Work rate, balance, organisation, and preparation are 90%’ was because I don’t necessarily think our best 11 players would comprise our best team – we get too congested in the AM area.

RC78,

You are correct, once again, but it is not fair to get one’s hopes up about players like Motta or Varane (earlier) as I suspect we will only get someone in as a short-term back up. 😦

Eddie,

I have a couple of Chinese friends — they like dogs – a lot.

Yummy. 🙂

Excellent, Rasper! I knew you would not let that rascal get away with it.

Fare’s fair – after all. 🙂

You should know, by now, Rasp, that I am as ‘deep’ as a French pancake – or maybe that is a crêpe? 😀

Eddie 5.12. Generalisation??

And Italian cars have 5 reverse gears, the food in England is an abomination and Belgians are boring.

The French smell, Spaniards are lazy, the Dutch are druggies, the Scandi’s sex-mad, and the Portugese sleep with donkeys.

Oh, and the Greeks are all bumboys (after all homosexual is a greek word)

90. RC78 says:

RA – I am afraid you are right 😦 Varane is super expensive but Motta will go for about 10-15 Mln…Same as Sissoko

OK, having boosted Rocky’s Post’s comment responses, I shall leave you all in peace. Bonne nuit. 🙂

Arrivederci Redders 🙂

93. RC78 says:

Sanogo to join Crystal Palace on loan….

Raddy – and all Polaks are cheats and boozers 🙂 Absolutely

Come on guys back to footy – do you think that the PFA should stop players having a bit of fun? Why?

95. arnie says:

In moderation! 😦

96. arnie says:

97. ha ha Coq au Vin

Shut up 🙂 SHUT THE FUCK UP

98. arnie says:

🙂

99. arnie says:

Moderators. My 5:49 is still in moderation. 😦

100. We are ball No 1…..

Ah … we get the lucky ball. Must mean a home draw against Scunthorpe (probably MC away)

Cheers Rocky

A very nice win. I have noticed that since we bought Sanchez I spend more time watching the game. Prior to his arrival I developed a nasty habit of scanning the crowd for somebody with an awkward disposition.

Those who dart a terrified stare at “f*uck off ref”, or just generally look like they have been sat on by an angry Eddie Large fascinate me.

Sanchez is incredible. Those who recall Barcas most recent visits to the Grove will probably agree that his work rate is not unusual for that pool of players, but to have him playing for us is simply brilliant.

I dont agree with racial stereotyping. Everybody is after my money.

These racist idiots always get it bloody wrong. A few years ago I had an argument with some geezer over a Tesco parking spot. I wasnt parking, just lying down after spending to long at the meat counter.

He started giving it “Oy, spaghetti, move your eytie arse”

I warned him that I was Greek and potentialy a very dangerous homosexual, but he persisted. “Yeah, sure Giovanni, you big Jessie. I bet when you go home mama cooks you a nice pasta and makes you sleep with a hot water bottle”

This accusation of been a mummys boy infuriated me so I had no choice to use my Commando skills. When I say Commando, I mean we both ended up starkers, him not by choice. Indeed, he put up an almighty struggle, he was wearing chinos.

I went home and felt really bad for losing it, but soon calmed down after mum cooked me a nice moussaka, but not before running a nice bath and giving me a lovely back scrub

Shouldn’t that be a back comb, Terry? 🙂

Can you watch the draw live anywhere?

cheers chas

106. oh Chelsea v Millwall that’s a cracker

A skull cracker NB!

Brighton away

109. a little trip to Brighton

A chance to spank a hughton team. Excellent.

Ollie can play in that one.
    He was sensational against The Seagulls last time

Hmmm, might need an overnight stop for that one if we can get a ticket.
    Let’s hope it’s 3pm on Saturday.

Full FA Cup draw.

Derby County v Scunthorpe or Chesterfield
    Chelsea v Millwall or Bradford
    Blackburn Rovers v Swansea City
    Cambridge United v Manchester United
    Southampton or Ipswich v Crystal Palace

NB
    Love the earlier vid. Is that your local bar?

115. Most definately Chas… Gay capital of Europe 🙂

Thanks for those vids as well Chas.

An overnight in Brighton. Great City. Where I was born.

117. One of them Micky 🙂 the two girls, Jess plays the violin and is English and Jay the singer is from Adelaide. You can spot me if your quick 🙂

118. It is a great town, lived there for nealy 10 years

Saw you a few times in the vid NB.
    Love those long warm evenings outside a small town French bar. Plane Trees, fountains and shit 🙂

What years NB
    I spent a grown up year there in 79

121. Micky
    from 1990 -99

123. Great pubs in the Hanover area

Sort of draw that makes me wish I still lived in Blighty 😦

Would be a great day out.

125. Me too Rocky and that photo chas posted means I’m gonna do myself a fried egg sandwich 🙂

Rocky
    We best quit blogging right now. Up to 130 comments already. Could send out all the wrong messages. Like….we enjoy winning 🙂

ps Brighton have a great new stadium. Moved from Hove to the east side by the University

Ahhhh..the Croque Madame

128. OK… it’s au revoir from him and goodnight from me 🙂

oooooh my brother has just reported from Poland that Szczesny has fallen out with Wenger. I am waiting for reasons why, but I was certain that Szcz got pissed at New Year party somewhere. In Poland 31st December is the biggest binge of the year, really on a colossal scale

nb – I lived in Brighton between 1998 and 2000 at Upper Lewis Road

130. arnie says:

ha ha ha ha, and Wimbledon score and go level. 🙂

feck! Apparently Wenger and Szcz had a huge argument in the dressing room during which Szcz was rude and sarcastic towards Wenger asking Boss about his commitment. According to a source he won’t play for us this season again.

I lived in Brighton in the early 80’s. Surrenden Crescent. My parents lived there until they died and my brother still does.

Love the place.

chas – I thought that it’s a bullshit story, but who knows, time will tell

I’ve been checking that Adebayo beast – not that big -85 kg, 6′ tall, 32 and from Islington. Pussycat 🙂

It was all over twatter yesterday, Eddie.
    The rumour was that Szcz said he was more committed to Arsenal than Wenger or some such bowlocks.

139. arnie says:

Evonne and Chas. I hope it is not correct. Nobody is bigger than teh club. Not even PV4. No tolerance, I am afraid, on lack of discipline or lack of respect. Whether it be Jack of Szcz or any other.

If this is indeed true. Is there some wind in the Cech rumours? Have we let the wrong Pole go? 😦

I don’t know arnie. I always preferred Fabianski, but GiE got it his way and Lukasz had to go.

Szczesny is very much like his father was – average goalie with world class gob on him

141. arnie says:

Evonne. hmmm. 😦 were you not friends with Szcz’s GF?

142. jnyc says:

Well done Rocky, much too agree with.

Most glaring… Coquelin.
    It was a pleasure to watch him, he is playing like a guy who feels fortunate to get this last opportunity at a top club. Always thought he had talent, now he’s playing with drive.

Yesterday he was everywhere, not just the sliding tackles, but quickness, disrupting alot, and excellent passing. I think he only had 2 bad passes, and lots of really impressive ones.

He has earned more starts, regardless of Arteta, flamini fitness.

Coquelin has become our marmite player.

I can’t wait for Arteta to return and Ozil could well be fit for Stoke.

That’s enough football bollix-

Didit. Are you patched up or doing cold turkey?

Morning Big

Football bollix? Biggest thing for me against Hull was Sanchez as CF. What I’ve always wanted to see. Suarez/Pool ‘esque. Very mobile, deep, wide. Is that a False 9?
    Was going to write a post about it, but banged that drum too long. Everyone here wants a big ‘un through the middle.

Fags. Got e-cigs and Nicorette gum, but always had those for planes, trains and automobiles 🙂

It’s the tar from my lungs and veins I don’t want anymore, and we’re on Day 6. Went surfing Sunday, and already feel better. Race Horse is how fit I’ll be soon 🙂

Raddy, really sorry about your abuse story on Gunnersorearse.

Finding out you are Chinese must be a terrible blow.

Morning Micky.

Giving up the fags is the worst thing mate. I tried the e-cigs last year but became a nightmare to live with, developed a serious cocaine habit and ultimately arrested for breaking into Mr Shahs were I consumed two packs of Benson & Hedges.

I feel for you mate

Ha ha

There’s a “middle child syndrome”

Fabulous. An excuse for everyone 🙂

Oh Transplant, I don’t know. I think you’re pretty much dead once you’re over 30.

I have always been an advocate of the false 9,. I think it dates back to my youth when I was a false substitute in the local team.

he he Raddy. Broken dreams eh.

Having an exciting morning trying Firefox instead of Safari.

That is how dull my life has become.

I quite like falsies – look good when in the club jersey but don’t get in the way later.

Micky. And all I wanted was to be a lumberjack, leaping from tree to tree ….

As you say, broken dreams

Be honest Raddy.. Once you can’t drink all night (drug assisted of course) and wake up with at least one different girl every week (whose name you don’t know, and don’t care), it’s down hill and fast.
    🙂

If you say so Micky. I survive by having a very vivid imagination – don’t tell Mrs Raddy.

How embarrassing life must be for the poor chap in 7.10. Married to an amazon, ugly kid, dog which won’t go anywhere near the losers and a plastic duck instead of a pony for the child.Plus he is wearing A Hoddle collared shirt

Love the carpet though. Haven’t seen one of those since my last trip to Wales.

So true. Wales is heaving with carpets like that 🙂

157. chas mobile says:

It’s ‘Arry

Morning Guys,

Eddie said earlier that Akinfedwa was only 82K – which is about 12 stones – not big.

He is over 100K and about 16 stone – big for a footballer.

Seeing is believing I suppose.
    AW thinks Reggie Perrin is a strapping big CH, but he is actually about 5′ 9″ — pretty small even for our midfield – but apparently he has a good leap, and shouts oohmegoolies a lot. 🙂

Is it really ‘Arry?

Morning RA

Morning RA

What exactly is an Akinfedwa?

161. Morning Ladies

Micky, the good thing about Welsh carpets like that is that you can heave on them and it doesn’t show 🙂

That’s a reasonable point NB.
    I was contemplating Raddy’s Welsh connection and saw that it could be extended to the entire Celtic fringe. Now, with your valid point, it makes some kind of sense. I was about to put it down to their chronic bad taste, but actually it’s very sensible, given they all like to throw up all over the place 🙂

Hey, that is ‘Arry 🙂

What exactly is a Celt? About five years ago the Mrs made me have a DNA test to prove I was human and when the results came back I was 80% southern European genes and 20% northern European Celtic.

Does this mean ime related to Billy Bremner?

165. Transplant, probably means you can do this, the highland fling was apparently invented by the Greeks, and the kilt as well ha ha

Micky,

An Akinfedwa is a big lad who scored for Wimbledon last night – or not big, by Eddie’s standards.

‘Southern European Genes’ is doctor speak for those troglodytes who moved North and had it away with some innocent Irish/Welsh/Scots/Cornish princess.

You could be royalty. 🙂

I think you must be mistaken – ‘Arry never had a big, blonde bouffant haIrstyle like that, altho the striped top looks familiar.

micky – Adebayo AkinXYZ is Wimbledon’s CF – the biggest CF you would ever see; looks like a heavy weight boxer rather than a footballer. Score last night v Pool 🙂

169. akinfedwa………… could be a substitute for cursing, “akinfedwa, what a akinfedwa goal”

“Does this mean ime related to Billy Bremner?”

Ha ha ha ha 🙂

171. Did you notice in that Greek dancing vid, the Greek dancers were wearing Yvonne style DM’s…. says a lot about the Greeks, lesbos haha

oh I don’t know why I bother answering any questions, RA knows it all 🙂

News roundup this morning – too many people go to A&E without a good reason. Germans in Dresden are marching in protest of Muslims and mosques in their town (how the feck are they allowed to do that??) . And finally – Fifa vice-president Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein of Jordan to challenge Sepp Blatter for football’s governing body leadership

173. Talking of Bouffants, no news about Crystals, hope he’s ok?

nb – those wearing DMs look like blokes to me, are they Greek women, really? Fook, they are ugly

Morning all, interesting days discussions.

I was interested by yesterday morning discussion about learning more from mistakes/defeats.

That may ultimately be true, but in the game of football everything hinges on team morale, and i would say you should be addressing weaknesses when you are winning, so that when defeats come it is purely being bettered on the day rather than any weakness that caused the defeaT. It is far easier on the team to correct and criticise of the result is a win. Criticising after a defeat can lead to victimisation, I’m sure Szczesny didn’t need to be told he ballsed up against Saints, what benefit would there have been to doing him down further. Especially for a keeper, look at Mignolet, he was focussed on and scrutinised and eventually dropped, but you now see a keeper struggling for any confidence at all.

176. ha ha ha Yvonne, Transplant is one of them 🙂

177. GIE

Good point about the criticism………. chezzers has now resorted to smoking in the showers after a game… stress management 🙂

GiE – is the rumour about your Szcz just a rumour?

NB
    You can get Celtic Lesbians?!!!!
    Terrifying thought

Just got this image of Bremner in a dress and dm’s 😦

That really is over and out from me

* meant dungarees not dress 🙂

And a bit of good news at last – “Stephen Fry, 57, to marry toyboy lover 30 years his junior following whirlwind romance and says he’s ‘very, very happy’

Congratulations Fry

182. I like Stephen Fry……… but not in that sense you understand, but 27 yrs old isn’t really a toy boy 🙂

Morning all, GiE at no point was it suggested that players/the team should be criticised after a defeat. It is the management who have to learn the lessons from defeat and then find a way of instigating change without damaging the spirit within the camp. A team that is losing and doesn’t know why really is in trouble.

I hate Stephen Fry and I would go mad if I was the boy’s mother

I love the Rasp – GiE exchanges 🙂

Rasp – I probably misunderstood you, but are you suggesting that the team/players are not capable of working out for themselves what went wrong?

186. Stephen Fry……….. I imagine Redders being a bit like this, same style:-)

187. Rasp

Footballers ain’t the most intelligent of people in the world…. they need an intelligent, astute and tactically aware genius manager to tell them what to do in a game. If not, they run around clueless trying to make things better but actually making the situation worse. 🙂

Hi Eddie, actually that is not far from the truth. These young men are living in a surreal cocoon and do need direction, guidance and strict rules by which to conduct themselves on and off the pitch. It is unusual for players under 25 to be able to make changes to their performance/role during a game or to be able to motivate/guide those around them.

Thanks NB, we agree 😛 I only read your comment after I had posted mine.

190. Yvonne,

Boy? He’s 27 years old, I should hope to think that he is old enough to know what he’s doing now, without having his mother intervene 🙂

I wouldn’t fancy being your son 🙂

191. oh well, looks like the morning banter has come to a full stop! or I’ve killed the blog………… time for a new post, Peaches?

192. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all,
    A win against Hull city, and through to meet Brighton and Hove away. Did we give a good account of ourselves, Well we won didn’t we.

Ospina had very little to do, but what he did do is kept a clean sheet, and clean sheets make points. Reports of Czezesney upsetting Mr Wenger has made me smile, Not being a huge admirer of Young Czezesney, and knowing that Arsene is, has enabled other goalkeepers to come to the fore.

I have no doubts that Czezesney will be back in for the Stoke game, as height will be needed in this game. Walcott’s display was disappointing, many said that being out for a year would show and it surely did, but why has he not been sharpening his game in the reserves, surely better getting back to speed in a game with less pressure than against a good side.

Many players unfit or being rested for our last game, but in all honesty not a lot of fire-power needed to proceed to the next round.
    Podolski loaned out, and we field a player who has not played for a year, makes little sense to me, but other supporters seem content.

Campbell worked hard, he to looked rusty, but when your not playing regular what can you expect much more Hulls Injury list was similar to ours, so this was a relatively easy game for us, Stoke will be tougher.

Mertsackers goal from a set piece was special, he jumped at least a foot off the ground with eyes closed, and looked more surprised than his team mates. I wonder how long we have to wait for his next.

Sanchez runs his heart out , but usually with no side runners and no backing. The man has a will to win, and takes a few knocks along the way, but while he can, he will persist, hopefully his hard work will finally rub off onto some of his team mates.

We looked in control in this game, but only because the team against us were really poor, lots of work to do, but there is an open window, but are we in the market.

Rasp, criticism was probably inferred on my part as a psychological thing of having been in that environment.

Scenario, after a defeat:

AW/SB : right BFG, and Koz come here, see that goal what you could have done was this….

BFG/Koz : what it’s all our fault? Balls to that did you see where TPIG went? Be good if we had a few more midfielders tracking too.

So even if it’s contlsteuctive its very hard to stop players reacting like it isn’t just the blame game.

That conversation goes a lot better after a win.

We have a New Post …………………….

Thanks GiE, I take your point but mental strength is something that comes from within the individual as much as from outside influences. Ultimately players know they are being judged by their performances – that’s what it’s all about. It is the way the management processes and imparts the information that counts.

The management’s job is to try to extract the maximum performance from the players and the team. Obviously telling someone they are useless is ridiculous and that doesn’t happen – but telling a player you can help them to improve should not be seen as a negative.

196. Piece of writing writing is also a fun, if you be familiar with then you can write or else it is difficult to write.

197. It’s possible for you to play smallholders and they’ll reveal fondness in their own way.
    It sits in your springboard much like a default application like AppStore,
    Messaging, and Settings are.