So Paddy got up and he sang it again.

Is it only 7 months ago? Tempus Fugit.

What an excellent weekend that was (apart from kick off until Santi scored). Can’t say I recall much of the game apart from the rush of blood when Aaron scored.

Unknown

There has been much writing on AA over the past few days about how we need to do X or Y but in my opinion we have the squad and the manager to win the PL  – the problem is that the key ingredients are lying in the medical bay. Why become so frustrated by our loss  at S’ton? Starting with a midfield of Coq and Chambers – we were never going to boss the game. Many said “men against boys” ….  in American parlance …. Hello (with the first syllable low and the second rising).

It will be a bare bones midfield again today with Ox apparently knacked at S’ton. Who is left standing? Mozart, Coq and  …. ermmm. Perhaps one of the kids – Zebbedee? (Zelalem).

We need to rest players but how? Santi has been great but was clearly tired in the second half at St. Mary’s as was Alexis.

And who plays upfront? Theo? Would you rely on him? Sanogo? Is he injured or back in training?

If it wasn’t the FA Cup and an important game for us I would suggest playing the Women’s team.

A concern is that with the Xmas fixture congestion the players will be not only tired but un-motivated. From a personal point of view this pre-match is one too many and if I as a mere fan have had enough imagine how BFG feels. If I am unable to raise enthusiasm to write another post what must it be like for the Santi/Alexis when a Hull Orc comes crunching in to clip ankles?

Unknown-1

But …. come kick off things will change. The Raddy living room will reverberate with the usual 4 letter words of encouragement, such as “Get up you ****ng idiot and support the defence”, Monreal, you ****, where are you?” “Alexis, you ****ing beauty” “referee, you a complete ****”,. Probably the same words you will be using  😡

Would that we were at home to Fleetwood but we aren’t, we are playing a good side who will want revenge for their painful Wembley defeat. Should be a good game and possibly a nerve shredder.

Right, that’s yer lot.

COYRRG

written by Big Raddy

216 Responses to So Paddy got up and he sang it again.

1. Thanks Raddy

You are feeling a bit like me about todays game…

Thanks for the link to the Louisiana Art Gallery. I’d never heard of this artist but love the work. A fauvist, and I loved the fauvists.

Appreciated very much especially when you say enthusiasm is short.

Just read tail end of morning comments, and when I said Iggy was best ever American, I didn’t mean just musician 🙂

Raddy – very funny post 🙂 You might be on to something iro playing the Ladies. Do you think Orcs would be more gentle with them, which in turn would lead to a victory?

You are also right about lack of enthusiasm and low morale. It is this time of year that almost anybody feels a bit deflated. Let’s hope the same applies to Hull, I cannot do another nerves shredder

micky – why was Iggy the best ever American? Wasn’t he like REALLY weird?

Before I go “wave sliding”, I’ve been thinking about Raddy’s post, and I’m now leaning on the side of the omens Team.

We don’t have the players left to rotate, and we cannot do without the likes of Sanchez for League games. Mmmm, tricky.

Eddie
    I’ve never regarded Iggy as a musician. Just the antidote to all that hippy/boy band music drivel 🙂

right micky, I should have expected an unusual answer from a relative of Uncle Ernest

7. ‘morning all, no time for football today, it’s CHRISTMAS! Yep, due to my oldest son taking his family off to the French alps for a week’s skiing over the festive season, we are celebrating today. The turkey is in the oven the champagne is on ice and the Christmas pud is on the hob.

Double celebration in fact as my other son secretly got married just before Christmas and nipped off to Thailand for a honeymoon, so today all the family will be together and harmony will reign in this particular Norfolk household.

The video is set to record the match, I may get to watch it around mid-night, if I’m still compos-mentis.

Enjoy the game

C’mon The Gunners.

8. arnie says:

Nice one, Raddy, but dont agree. 🙂 You cannot have too much of the Arsenal, ever. 🙂

A game every second day throughout the year will be fine by me. Many fans even construct that on the playstation.

Players are professional. They know we have games during the year-end. Just as when I took my job I knew I would have sleepless nights Dec20-Jan5 marking scripts. Part of professional life.

So, no excuses, Raddy and everyone, get off your perches. There is a trophy to be protected. March on. COYG. 🙂 🙂 🙂

9. Eddie, “It is not a MWG today. It is ok to be kicked out of the FA cup, we have a bigger fish to fry” Really? Now I don’t want to carp, (carp! Geddit? 😀 ) but we can’t allow any opportunity of a trophy to begging.

10. arnie says:

Nice motning batner today. 🙂

Eddie, absolutely love the panda. 🙂 And yes, Bob Dylan. 🙂 🙂 🙂

11. The Cockie Monster says:

Thanks Rads !.

Agree Eddie it`s not a MWG today…..more like a MNLG !……Must Not Lose Game !….a draw and we get another bite of the cherry in a replay whish then become a MWG !. 😀
    Look !….this is our only realistic chance (again) of winning something this season apart from 4th trophy, it`s vital to give fans a granule of light at the end of the dark tunnel of hope !.
    Lose today and the knives of doom which are already in Arsene`s back will be even deeper buried and I admit that I will be a main plunging protagonist !. hahaha
    Full (what is left ) strength team, no resting as we don’t play again `til next Sunday, so no fatigue crap as Hull played on New Years day as well !…..actually, they played on New Years day and won, whereas we didn`t turn up !.
    Anyway, it`s vital to wipe the fat smile off of Ton Hundredstone`s face !.

Unenthusiastically written, or not, Raddish, I enjoyed your Post, and it makes a lot of sense.

The disgruntled reaction to losing at S/hampton was really because we have struggled this season, and most of us before the game, perhaps a little arrogantly, thought that we would win, and after the game realised we deserved to lose.

I am trying not to allow myself to think we ‘should win’ against a struggling Hull team, because I do not want to have the same after-the-match sense of déjà vu I had after we lost to the Saints. [that seems a counter intuitive way of expressing myself – but it seems to work!] 🙂

13. arnie says:

Cockie. MNLG only if we want to add another game to our calendar, otherwise MWG.

I do not mind MNLG. I never tire of watching the good guys play. Another 90 mins + 30 mins + penalties will be fine by me. The more the better. 😛

What are all these fish references about? 🙂

Eddie frying non-existent fish – Norfolk carping on – arnie asking people to get off the poor old perches, and Cocker going on about ‘we did not turnip” – well he is a vegetarian. 🙂

15. arnie says:

Redders. 🙂

It is an odd phrase to say something is a ‘Must win game’ or similar and to show familiarity with them so that they are reduced to acronyms.

It is said so often on AA and other blogs, and yet after we have lost the world does not seem to have shifted from its axis – or has it? 🙂

NG – got it 🙂 I don’t want to carp either, but we haven’t got the squad to compete in 3 cups. We were given once in a lifetime chance of progressing to the next round of the CL and we must grasp it with both hands. I’d rather go further in Europe than in the FA.

Cheers, BR.
    Truly cosmic was my reaction to Hull at home when the draw was made.
    Anyhow, could be a real barnstormer of a game. Who knows?

So, anyway, it is inconceivable that we can afford to lose the game today otherwise the blogs will empty fast again, until the hurt reduces – obviously a MWG after all. 🙂

“once in a lifetime chance of progressing to the next round of the CL”
    Last time I looked, I don’t think our record is that bad.

RA
    They’re more empty after a victory.

Eddie,

We have made it out of the group stage of the CL for the last thirteen years, and have played in the final once – and should have won – except Thierry wore the ‘wrong’ boots that night.

So, ‘once in a lifetime’ is that counted in the same ways as a cat’s nine lives? 🙂

I do not have the stats, Chas, and I suspect you do, but my feeling is that the comments seem to double after a win.

Mind, that might be fewer people – and a lot more comments.:-)

24. arnie says:

Chas. “truly cosmic”? That was pure conspiracy. Why should the finalists, that is the best two teams in the competition, last year meet in the 3rd round.

This is a disgrace! remove some competition for the oiler minnows! That is what it smells like. Fishy? Yes. 😛

I meant it was a tedious draw, arnie.
    Even playing them away would have been more interesting with a big away allocation. Though Sunday tea time would have been a b*stard for those coming from London.

You might be right, RA.
    I just feel the Arsenal blog world take more pleasure when there’s a knife to twist. 🙂

27. ytehjnnh says:

Appalling is the only way to describe Arsenal’s Champions league record.
    Wenger has put Arsenal in the bracket of making up the numbers.

Right, pick up in 5.
    Enjoy the game.
    Up the Arse.

29. arnie says:

either way, Chas. 😛

So let us have a draw tonight, so we can have the away game next time. 😛 As I said, I dont mind watching another 120 mins + penalties of the good guys. the more the better. 🙂

RA – we’ve been to knockout stages for the past 13 years??!! who are you supporting, Barcelona?

chas – the driveway is yours if you need it. Cuppa a tea an optional extra.

32. ytehjnnh says:

I remember the FA Cup being dismissed as a major distraction and that was in the tighten your belts period.
    Now thanks to Wenger it is the only trophy Arsenal can dream about wimning.

I’m letting Sniffers comments stand because they are hilarious and I need cheering up.

Here’s a question for those on here today.

FA Cup Win or CL football?

I asked a similar question at the end of last season, Chary replied that he didn’t think it was an either or question. This season I think it truly is given our current league placing and form. We need to win today for the sake of morale and to stop the critics in their tracks, they will be sharpening their pencil. But given the choice I’d rather CL than FACup as it at least means we have the chance to recruit.

Gerrard knowing Liverpool aren’t going to qualify has already handed his notice in 😉

Now Everton are an interesting one, Martinez promised Kenwright CL football, I think he knows the best way to achieve that is winning the Europa so is putting all his eggs in that basket as the opportunity is there.

GiE – true about morale, false about the critics for they will never be happy.

That Martinez has been a huge disappointment to me; I had him pencilled as the next manager at the Ems. Just as well the old boy stayed for a couple more seasons longer

35. arnie says:

Too early, GiE. When we reach the semis in both, we can make the choice. 🙂 CL is too uncertain to put all eggs in that basket.

I am certain our chances of winning against Hull must be greater than the chances against Monaco.

Thanks for the PM Raddy, I know how much work is involved, and you maintain an excellent standard 😛

GiE, I’m with you CL football every time – although am I right in thinking that one more win and we are equal with manu as the team that has won the FAC the most times?

37. Hi all

Seriously busy grandma today, can’t even go to the game as it’s the mother of my granddaughters’ birthday tomorrow and I seem to be lumbered with granddaughter – delicious treat – and dog – say no more 😦

Do you know my daughter is now much older than me 😉 I can’t understand how that happened lol

I’m with GiE and Rasp, CL every time ahead of a cup although I do like to be part of a pack that could win the title 😉

Enjoy your extra Xmas day Norfolk.

I am with Peaches, who is with Rasp, who is with Exile, who is with Eddie that the CL is more important than the Cup. 🙂

But I would still like to win the FA Cup for a record 11th time, and also win the Premiership. That seems reasonable.

And ‘the mother of my grand-daughter’ so that would be your daughter or your daughter-in law’s birthday then Peaches? 🙂

39. I’m gonna go against the grain and say I’d rather win the FA Cup and not get CL football. I’m fed up with getting a trophy that isn’t a trophy. Last seasons win at wembley was so sweet 🙂

40. arnie says:

I am with Redders, who is with Peaches, who is with Rasp, who is with Exile, who is with Evonne that the CL is more important than the Cup. 🙂

However, in practical terms, what does this mean? Giving up on the FA Cup in the hope that we win the CL? Or not moaning as much just in case we fail to progress in the FAC? Or lining up excuses already: in any case we were not interested? hmmmm. 😦

The thing about being in the CL is that we are rewarded with a minimum of another 8 games, some against the best teams in the world. Also as GiE says, it means we can attract better players to the Arsenal

We can attract them…..but can we sign them? 😉

I really do wish the FA Cup was important, I really do, because as a kid to me winning the FA Cup was probably more important than winning the league.

Let’s be honest apart from Micky Thomas and Aguero how many times as a kid did you play at scoring the winning goal in a league title race, and how many times did you play at being a goal scorer at Wembley in an FA Cup final?

I used to love Cup final day, interviews on the team buses, players arriving, interviews with fans, re runs of previous winning goals on Grandstand, one of the few times to watch any football, the first one I didn’t bother with was Wimbledon v Liverpool how I regret going to the garden centres with my Mum rather than watch John Aldridge grimace as Beasant saved. Nowadays it’s every one I skip virtually unless there’s a chance of an upset or us winning.

43. The Cockie Monster says:

Just for the record !.

Most FA Cup wins : Arsenal 11, Manshafter 11.
    Most Finals : Arsenal 18, Manshafter 18.

Most Semi`s : Me ! hahaha

Most Semi- Finals : Arsenal 27, 18 wins, Manshafter 27, 18 wins.

Neck and neck girls, boys and Tranniesplant !. So we need another FA Cup to go clear !.

Previously, I would have said CL all the time, but now I want to go back to my Arsenal DNA and love winning trophies, not having the best share price !…….Plus you will see some world class teams in the Europa League and more games to boot !….and we will be in a better position to win EPL next year !…….and correct me if I`m wrong, but money talks and I didn`t see Manshafter stop spending money or attracting top players for not being in the CL ! , nor would it stop Mansour City or Chavs and being bigger than the last two, it wouldn`t stop us as long as the tight fiscal fcuker at the helm was willing to spend !
    Which brings me on to ……..have we bought anyone yet ?…….forget about Carvalho, Rasp….Wenger will persist with Le Coq !.

plus, I really think we have a better chance against Monacco at the end of Feb, than against the Orcs today. Plus, if we lose today the lads will have 2 weeks of rest. Sweet

RA – it is my daughter’s-in-law birthday tomorrow, hence Peaches looking after my granddaughter today

Pure finances dictates that CL is more important, last season the FA Cup was profitable for the club because we lucked in to all home games, which meant they could charge ST holders for Munich home.

I would guess the sponsorship bonuses of playing group stages of CL football are far greater than winning the FA Cup. And more revenue from sponsors means less from our pockets.

But then again look at the number of fans who turned up for Arsenals victory parade, makes you wonder whether we shouldn’t find a brownfield site somewhere outside the M25 and build a 150,000 seater less thrills stadium, and charge less for the tickets (one would hope).

46. The Cockie Monster says:

I`ve got a 5 acre field for a new Arsenal Stadium and they can have it for nothing as long as I get an executive box with an enormous sofa to hide behind !………..plus being in Cornwall we will get into CL every year as Cornwall top team !.

47. arnie says:

OK, take your points, CL is more important. But what do we do with that? Set up a second string side to face the Orcs? Can we afford to do that? Nay, IMO.

So, on with the show. Ospina in goal to provide competition to Szcz. Theo upfront. And let us see. COYG. 🙂

48. arnie says:

BTW, Raddy, excellent strategy to get us all worked up and raring to go! COYG. 🙂

49. arnie says:

I see Shef Weds are ahead against Shitty. 😛

50. arnie says:

51. arnie says:

Shitty equalise. Sh*t!

FA cup or CL quarter finals?

FA Cup every time.

GIE made an excellent point when he wrote “how many times as a kid did you play at scoring the winning goal in a league title race, and how many times did you play at being a goal scorer at Wembley in an FA Cup final?”

Because football is the Glory Game not a banking exercise.

53. The Cockie Monster says:

Team !.

David Ospina; Hector Bellerin, Calum Chambers, Per Mertesacker, Nacho Monreall Francis Coquelin, Tomas Rosicky; Theo Walcott, Santi Cazorla, Joel Campbell; Alexis Sanchez

Substitutes: Martinez, Debuchy, Koscielny, Zelalem, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Maitland-Niles, Akpom

54. Team News:
    06 Koscielny
    15 Oxlade-Chamberlain
    26 Martinez
    35 Zelalem
    38 Akpom
    70 Maitland-Niles

Very attacking team. Should be exciting

56. The Cockie Monster says:

Stop copying me, `69er….you gorgeous hunk !. hahaha

57. arnie says:

good good. cannot complain. COYG. 🙂

58. Theo is in, I’m surprised Sanchez hasn’t been rested

59. Cockie, from now on you are No10 ha ha 🙂

60. The Cockie Monster says:

Chanel #10

That`s a dodgy cockney`s equivalent to two Chanel # 5`s……a dab on each Jacob !. hahaha

61. You’re a brave man No10…. I wouldn’t put Chanel on my Aprils

63. The Cockie Monster says:

30 mins until I`m put under sedation by a cocktail of tranquiliser`s including chloroform and my wife`s fist !.

64. I was hoping that some of the top sides would have drawn today, then needing replays. Southampton have but it looks as if City and Utd will go through 😦

65. Lovely photo GIE… COYGeorge 🙂

66. The Cockie Monster says:

Nice, GIE…….your boys bigger than Ospina……how quick can you get him to the match ?. 😀

Sanchez is there to turn something out of nothing. Capital should have some fun feeding the whippets, I think I’d start Theo on left and Campbell on right, cutting in on to their preferred feet…..that is if Campbell is left footed as I remember, but old age could be getting the better of me.

If some of these lads want more game time they have the opportunity to stand up today.

68. Apparently 19 years since we were knocked out in the 3rd round… so here we go then, now that’s been mentioned on the BBC ha ha

69. 20 minutes to KO, have you warmed the sofa up Cockie…. I’ll sit on your lap if there are too many on there ha ha ha

On sofa. Sun past the yard-arm. I think a perky Ripasso would go well with Hull on a sunday evening

71. Italian wine eh Raddish, nice…. I’ve got a Cotes du Rhone ordinaire

72. The sun has been past my block of flats already for at least an hour 🙂

73. The Cockie Monster says:

What fcuking Sun ?.

74. The Cockie Monster says:

Or If you live in Shadowlands N17……what is a Sun ?.

75. Cockie, I hate to wind you up but it has been a glorious cloudless 18c here today……..

76. arnie says:

Raddy. flipping through the pages of The Sun on a Sunday evening! Never thought you were the type. 🙂

A Casa Burmester Douro Reserve for me. After the game, light dinner with friends and then an evening of bridge. People can get very competitive, and I anticipate a large consumption of liquid refreshments. 🙂

77. The Cockie Monster says:

Bollox !…….you were legless laying on a hot water bottle looking up at a light bulb, you piss artist !. hahaha

78. arnie says:

a glorious cloudless and slightly breezy 3C here today. 🙂

79. Got to search for a stream……… vipbox here I come

fooking hell, Boulard with earrings, pony highlighted tail, lipstick and mascara…..I feel sick

81. The Cockie Monster says:

No more talkie talkie….time for….hidie hidie !.

82. Good move but how did Campbell miss that…

83. ha ha ha Wenger can’t do up his zipper…….. bad omen

84. Don’t worry Ladies, I’ll continue with the comments on my own 🙂

Evening all
    Nice team

Ah ha Chubby Akbomb on the bench. Like to see him play

87. arnie says:

ha ha ha ha

88. Bloody hell…. Bellerin is fast… and the BFG scores yessss

He’s 6′ 7″ ???

Man to man marking at set pieces…….can see why people make such a fuss about it.

Micky – it was from a corner.

I must say I’m really enjoying this game

Indeed Eddie
    Some lovely movement

93. arnie says:

ha ha ha ha. the difference for me is Alexis playing a bit deeper. just the difference. 🙂

94. HT… I’m gonna make a prawn sandwich 🙂

Enjoyable half. Liking Coq today ……. fnarr fnarr

96. GIE

I know what Coq is, but excuse my ignorance, what is fnarr fnarr? 🙂

97. arnie says:

NorthBank. Do you really ….? 😛

Don’t start NB, the New Year has seen a marked improvement in your attitude 🙂

Is Chubby Ak. fast? (I mean really fast)

100. Terry Neill talking at the Emirates…

101. Micky

Give me time, it’s only been 4 days ha ha

Any withdrawal symptoms?

Unusual urges, excessive friskiness, that sort of thing?

(oh shurrup didit, and watch the football)

104. Obviously so Micky 🙂

Just discovered that it takes exactly a half-time break to make. Toasted BLT. Delicious.

We are playing some terrific one touch football but once again with no end product. Is Theo playing? Campbell putting in a shift but passing is poor.

I am really enjoying Mozart’s work

Jonathan Pearce doesn’t get football does he. Clearly all Hull want is for us to give them cheap free kicks, they are not trying to play through the lines just passing hoping someone will get bored and go get the ball.

Standing off and just waiting for them to give it back eventually seems smartest.

A fine snack Big.

Bring on…. Akbomb 🙂

108. The Coq got the ball then… no foul

Northbank imagine Julian or Sandy laughing (if you ever listened to Round the Horne)

Let’s see Chubby. Theo has had an hour to warm up

111. Raddy…….. sounds good but my prawn sandwich was quicker to make 🙂

GIE……… so what is fnarr fnarr?

112. sorry, GIE….. I was a bit impatient there. OK Round the Horn, going back a bit there but goes well with Coq I suppose 🙂

At least Theo is starting to get in position to score. Looks promising for the future.

114. I was just thinking we should get a 2nd soon and Theo nearly gets there…

at long fecking last 🙂

116. God, I hope Theo can stay fit from now, he has had a brilliant game… a little more pace and sharpness and we know what he can do

talked to a little boy in the park today and he told me he met Sanchez in a restaurant in St Albans. Alexi was very charming, gave autograph and shook hands with the youngster

Very true NB. He scores a lot and has vastly improved movement over last two seasons

Great game. Dodgy 20 minute spell, but quality showed.

Hot bath urgently required

120. The Coq was stupid there, very rash

121. ha ha my stream must have been well behind 🙂

even Shearer wants to have Alexi’s babies

123. Overall a very good game, well played Gunners… and the Cup run starts. 🙂

124. jnyc says:

Haven’t seen it yet, but twitter reaction has been…

Theo not sharp but making great runs that Ozil will love.

Coquelin playing great and passing great also.
    Everyone all over campbell. Give the kid a chance, please! Im not his biggest fan, i dont expect him to make it with us because of our talent and level,
    BUT, the Kid has waited years to play for the club he signed with, he finally gets an opportunity, it must be a little scary. And then the fans start moaning when he misses a chance.

And who knows, he may turn out to be an excellent player somewhere. You never know, he’s shown great flashes for his country.

We have to be less harsh on our guys.

The tackle by Coq was a strange one, he was silly to get airborne but it was the quickest way to get himself across to the ball and at no point was he going to hit the player off the ground. Liked the way he was telling the Hull player to shut up after though …… need a bit of bite….

Don’t think we were ever in danger in that game. Played within ourselves to conserve energy in the second. Half. All they were looking for was free kicks in the final third, hence why they didn’t turn to run at us or in behind think they were hoping we were going to try and nick possession and buy free kicks, even one they did get was a total non free kick (the alleged high boot from Cambell). It’s almost like we played a certain way to avoid their main threat…..

And then the defends, Coq and TR7 left it to the other 4 to see if they could nick another one after Hull gave us the ball.

Good performance all round.

Well said jnyc, Theo probably missed more chances than Campbell, there was an element of trying too hard in his play, especially after he missed that chance. Has a lot to learn but for me showed signs of encouragement. Don’t think it’s fair to treat Theo or Campbell any differently, if you think Theo deserves a break because of lack of minutes then so does Campbell, not like he has been kicking a ball in anger for a while.

And yes Coq was good, needs more minutes, and he may well get them even when Arteta comes back as it will be good to have him able to replace him after 60-70minutes.

Noticed a flaw in Chambers today that needs addressing quick smart, getting under the high ball, he backs himself to win it early but often ends up with the ball skimming off his head.

Oh and Ox…..silly boy, do not make injuries worse by being a hero!

127. That’s it for me, Brokeback Mountain is on French TV, so I’m going to watch the second Sherlock Holmes by Guy Ritche ha ha ha

a demain Gooners 🙂

Thanks for the pre-match BR – there has certainly been a lot of footy lately.

Good performance and good win today.

Pluses:
    How composed we were in the second half at 1-0 up. We didn’t do the usually cavalry charge trying to find more goals. Instead we were content to sit back, not over-commit and to control the game. The FBs in particular were careful not to get too carried away. The well deserved second came as Hull tired themselves out.

The BFG: he loves the Cup!

Coquelin: our best player against Saints (though that’s not saying much), he had another fine game today. To me he looks a better option at DM than Flamini.

Campbell: yes, a bit wasteful, but he worked really hard and some of his link-up play was very good. Given how little first team minutes he has had he proved that he’s a good bench option.

Santi/Rosicky: two very good playmakers who worked really well in tandem.

The First Half: the movement of our front three (supported by TR7 and Santi) was excellent at times and we were unlucky not to be 2 or 3 up at HT.

Ospina: not a lot to do, but he did it well.

Arsene Wenger: top marks for listening to my suggested formation, given our injuries! (Against Saints I found it mystifying that he would give a first-ever start in a DM position to young Chambers when he could just have gone with Coquelin, with two more forward-minded MFs in front of him. That’s what he did today and we looked much better, albeit against weaker opposition).

Overall: the thing that pleased me most today was that throughout the entire game we actually looked organized: the players looked like they knew their jobs and what was expected of them, which is not something you can always say about Arsenal.

Not to be a doomer but

Hull were completely shitballs, they offered nothing going forward and their passing was awful.

I worried that we would have an Xmas hangover but instead it was Hull.

Agree about Campbell, he worked hard and showed he can be an asset but with Welz & OG to return he will get no pitch time.

Overall an easy and very enjoyable win

Blimey, is everyone hibernating?

131. Gooner in Exile says:

We won Rocky 😉

Haha – very true GiE.

Victory is silent, defeat is deafening.

Not sure what the Canadian/US commentary team were like but Jonothan Pearce would have loved us to concede the way he was going on, either that or he just felt like he needed to sell more drama than there actually was. Kept saying Hull were getting a foothold and we were playing into their hands second half.

I didn’t see it that way at all.

You could tell by the long pauses that Keown was struggling to agree.

Another pleasing aspect of today was Bellerin, at least we know we don’t have to worry about right back position for a decade or so.

134. arnie says:

ha ha ha ha. how good was that! dont know about us fans, but at least the good guys seem to enjoy playing.

Rocky’s comment could well be put up as a match report! 🙂

good points about Campbell as well. I like the sight of him, and of Theo. 🙂 good steady performance. It was always under control.

Well done the good guys. A bit of recovery time now. COYG. 🙂

135. arnie says:

Time enough to sign about 5 new players! 🙂

136. arnie says:

Against Shitty away, my new fav front three may well turn out to be Giro, Alexis and Theo, Alexis sitting a bit deeper. 🙂

No Iggy. No Beatles.

How about some cultural diversity 🙂

Bored of the “we get more comments when we lose” line. More like a personal agenda to me.

It’s the exact opposite. On this site at least.

(Morning Rocky Exile 🙂 )

Recent games

W’Ham Win 262 comments
    Toon WIN 256
    Gala Win 256

Pool Draw 235

Stoke Lose 220
    Southmptn Lose 203

Chas
    Is an “Armonica” a cockney Harmonica?

Maybe it just seems like there’s more to plough through when we lose. 🙂

Any ridiculous transfer rumours to keep us perpetually disappointed?

“Submarino Amarillo”

One word…. 🙂

You can’t count games when Ant and Duck show is on 😉

Ahhh, the creative accounting Exile 🙂

148. Good morning Ladies 🙂

Did our journey to Wembley start last night?
    I’ve just booked my flight to UK in April. Will be there from 16th to 26th April, games sceduled:
    18th Sunderland home or FA Cup semi
    21st CL quarter final 2nd leg (let’s hope so)
    25th Chavs at home

So if any of you adventurous folk wish to meet up with an Ex-con, fibbing, two-timing, degenerate drunken bastard…. in Islington for a drink or two, … I’ll consider it ha ha ha…… I’m all excited whey hey. 🙂

149. oh I forgot to put just for Yvonnes sake… degenerate drunken UGLY bastard ha ha ha

I always thought ugly was a given 😉

Another swift read of the blogs and everything is pretty much what could be predicted.

We lose a disappointing game against S/hampton, and the three points we were hoping to get, and it was a ‘disaster’.

We win a game against Hull, and it was fantastic.

I was initially down about the loss, but it was not a disaster it was just another league match with all the unpredictability that attaches to all such games.

The win against Hull was not fantastic it was a typical Cup game, that lifted the spirits and moves us on to the next round.

If there was an Exile ‘swingometer’ on the fans’ blog reactions it would, on a scale of 1 to 10, register either ‘1’ or ’10’ with sod all in between. 🙂

152. Don’t jest GIE… I’ve had to live with this face all my life 🙂

Morning NB,

As an artist you know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 🙂

As a non-artist I have rarely come across anyone who is genuinely ‘ugly’ but then there are very few who are truly ‘beautiful’.

My Exile ‘swingometer’ of people I have seen in my lifetime (including those I have seen on AA) would register a healthy ‘7’ on the looks register. 🙂

I have not, of course, yet seen Terry, who is an Adonis by all accounts, and that would push the average looks score up to ‘9’. 🙂

155. Redders, but then you have to take into account the Cockie man and that score drops to a 4 🙂

156. Redders………. I sincerely hope we can meet for a beer during my short stay, you can baffle and entertain me with your vast vocabulary 🙂

157. Music… no beatles, no iggy and no weird instuments: Just for London, the conductress on the number 19, pink toenails and hands all dirty with the money….

we won. I bet you that this means no new players.

nb – nobody ever met RA, he doesn’t exist

who’s a drunken ugly bastard?

161. Yvonne, that would be me, it was my attempt at self promotion 🙂

fishing for compliments? you are not ugly 🙂

163. ha ha Yvonne…. don’t try to get into my good books… I’ll still buy you a drink before a game 🙂

Eddie …… Coquelin is like a new signing 😀

I don’t drink, thank you. What game? I only go to ‘easy’ ones with a tiny chance of defeat, never to Everton coz then we always draw. Oh, I love CC games against Totts

Very enjoyable vids this morning apart from the Spanish entry. Amazing how musically diverse we are.

It was an easy victory last night playing Wengerball. No need to pick the bones out of it – we made Hull look poor.

Perhaps that is why it was so quiet last night with none of the attending Gooners commenting

GiE – ALWAYS positive, bless you 🙂
    Mind you, perhaps we do not need new players? They did look wholesome yesterday.

168. The Cockie Monster says:

There`s only one cure for `69ers ugliness !……..alcohol !…….and I don’t mean for him !……..the more we drink, the less offensive he looks !. Although meeting him in person, I think we will all need to be on a intravenous drip attached to a Strongbow delivery tanker outside the Arsenal Tavern !……However it will be a lot cheaper if he just turns up wearing an Arsenal paper bag over his head !. hahaha

169. Cockie, you and Transplant are on my priority list for a meet mate. And no excuses about living in Cornwall and having sheep to de-worm ha ha

170. Actually GIE may be right, with Cog au Vin now playing DM… and Flamini as back up, what need is there to buy a DM now?

171. Yvonne, I’m hoping for a ticket for the Sunderland game, that’s if we are not in the FA Cup semi. And I will be at a pub for the Chavs game on the 25th………. I’ll buy you an orange juice 🙂

No need for a DM, but another defender could be useful

NB. I have had no luck with Monaco tickets. Have you tried FNAC?

Im a liberated woman and pay for my own drinks, thank you. Let me think about it, I have till April to answer 🙂 I am going to the Pool game, my birthday present

175. I suppose we have to start thinking about the BFG’s replacement, but that won’t be till the summer…

176. Not yet Raddish, have checked FNAC website but nothing on there, I will visit the store this week and enquire

177. Well if you’re a liberated woman Yvonne, you can buy my drinks too 🙂 you have till April to put some money aside ha ha ha

Save for your drink? We’d better make it April 2016

“Im a liberated woman and pay for my own drinks”

=Lezzo 🙂

Last time I hold a door open for you Eddie.

180. 🙂 That sounds about right.

“Burnley are expecting such a low crowd for Monday’s FA Cup third-round tie at home to Tottenham that one of the stands at Turf Moor has been completely shut.”

Big club, my arse!

182. and don’t wear the DM’s 🙂

Morning all. Good performance and a good result yesterday, but all this talk of not needing a DM is a bit off the wall. Hull were very poor yesterday and we weren’t being pressed.

Our game falls apart when other teams (top teams) press us – we have to find a way of dealing with this. Somehow we lose our ability to pass the ball. The midfield is our problem systemically.

We should not use an FA cup game against Hull as our barometer. Southampton have shown that they are a better team than us. We need to improve and be a better team than Southampton and the tots if we want to be in the CL next season.

BTW …. anyone got a post for today?

184. Must be time for a new post…. and Crystals isn’t well. Use Rocky’s comment at 7;57pm

Ask yourselves this …. what can we learn more from – the defeat against the saints or the win against Hull?

That women is excellent (09.45). I have never seen the like.

Arnie will love it

Rasp @10am

Bang on the money
    Clever people learn more from their mistakes than stroking themselves over their good points 🙂

Micky – I can’t open doors, must be bisexual

Morning Micky, I do hope your man The Ox didn’t make his injury worse by playing on yesterday. It looked like an impact injury rather than a joint/ligament problem (let’s pray) but he was certainly uncomfortable for the rest of the game.

190. Micky

Stroking yourself depends on what your good point is 🙂

But yes, Good judgement comes from experience…. and a lot of experience comes from bad judgement. But the two go hand in hand, you have to assess the bad and the good. 🙂

Rasp

I’m no good at that injury thing. Just know that Giroud’s are all fakes. No wonder the ref’s are nicer to us when he’s not around 🙂

Despair/Hope, Rasper – two sides of the same coin. 🙂

We can learn from both games.

I am more in your court than not about the midfield requirements.
    The number of times our players get shrugged off the ball when in a tussle for it is becoming so normal, most people do not even notice it.

A DM is a must, as well as a CD and a backup left back would be sensible. (Monreal and Gibbs are so fragile it is only a matter of time before they are both out of action at the same time – again.)

We have been heavily linked with an expensive CF, just to please Micky, but while it would be nice, it is not essential, provided Giro stops nutting people.

Hopefully AW will prioritise the midfield and the defense.

Agree with that NB.

I’m always attracted to the extremes/extremists.

No way middle of the road 5’s on RA’s scale for me 🙂

OK
    Promised myself I’d get back into some kind of work today. Later on people.

Morning Redders. You and I are both on the same hymn sheet here. Arteta is aging and picking up more injuries, Flamini is not at the level we need and Coquelin is still learning his trade.

If we want to unleash the incredible attacking potential we have, then we need to shore up the defence. A top DM is what this team lacks. It seems that the management also believe this if you attach any credence to the stories linking us to players who operate in that area.

NB, I don’t agree with your @10:14

All you learn from a good performance is that the measures you have taken when you have learnt from your bad performances have been effective 😀

Incidentally, Alexis maintained his record of playing a part in half of Arsenal’s scoring with an assist and a goal yesterday. LB is correct, Alexis is our Suarez – at least until the injured players return (and return to form)

198. That’s not necessarily so Rasp…… sometimes a good performance has nothing to do with the actions you have taken due to a bad performance… they could be totally unconnected. And the alternative is also the case. It’s more about utilising experience from both scenarios to arrive at a happy medium.

You’re moving the goalposts now NG. From a victory you learn that what you’re doing is working so no great positive benefit, from defeat you learn what you need to do to be better and that is a real benefit

200. Now Rasp
    We all know that a bad performance can end in victory and a good performance can end in defeat…. so the balance is unclear, but all eventualities and outcomes need to be evaluated 🙂

No, LB claimed that Sanchez is better than Suarez and the only reason that Barça sold the former and brought the latter was because of their spoilt fans demand a new name every year. Their loss our gain.

I’m happy with that LB, Alexis is also a far better hunan being 🙂

Did anyone offer a match report for yesterday’s game?

The reason we won v Hull was because we learnt the lesson playing Southampton, obviously.

I still believe we should make the most of every little joy in this otherwise miserable life. And as for defeats – learn the lesson and move on, don’t wallow in self pity.

Is Sanchez currently the best football in the EPL? Better than Aguerro? Better than RvP?

205. Rasp

Suarez is a good human being as well, it’s just that he has ‘issues’, like a oral complex linked to his psychosexual development 🙂

And many of us have that 🙂

Thanks NG, we’re going to have to agree to differ. None of man’s advancements have come from being happy with things, quite the opposite. As far as football is concerned I’d say rejoice in your victories and learn from your defeats

207. arnie says:

motning all.

lovely batner, lovely music. brilliant stuff. 🙂

Peaches. how about Rocky’s comment at 7:57pm?

😆 NG – you and Suarez have the same dentist?

209. Thanks arnie, I’ll have a look