A Comfortable 3 points?

Well, well, well, that was a walk in the park that almost resulted in a mugging.

Good start, even got a penalty awarded after seven minutes when Alexis is brought down by Traore, what a mug he’s learnt nothing since he left Arsenal. I thought there was an unwritten rule that the player fouled doesn’t take the penalty, but Alexis refused to give the nominated player, Cazorla, the ball and took it himself. Note to coaching staff: Alexis needs some pointers on how to take a penalty. Easy save for Rob Green.

The game meandered along much the same as before, Arsenal playing with a ball and QPR watching. Then a nice move between Welbeck and Cazorla saw the ball played out wide to Gibbs who crossed beautifully for Alexis to nod the ball in completely unopposed after thirty-seven minutes.

Half-time and half the job done.

Second half was much the same, although QPR did get hold of the ball a bit more but seemed at a loss as to what to do with it so gave it quickly back to Arsenal.

Fifty two minutes, enter stage left The Village Idiot! For no perceivable reason Giroud decides to take umbrage for a slight push in the back by Onuoha, so he head butted the QPR defender who, naturally, went down like a sack of s**t. Martin Atkinson, who was no more than three yards away from the incident, had no option but to dismiss the Arsenal striker. Nice one Ollie! A three match ban at the busiest time of the season.

Then on sixty-five minutes Alexis mesmerised the QPR defence, weaved his way into the box and laid one on a plate for Rosicky to put away with aplomb.

Only now do QPR finally wake up and start to play football, The pressure builds and QPR win a penalty on seventy-nine minutes, which Austin puts away, 2 – 1. Increasing pressure convinces Wenger to make changes, so off goes Rosicky to be replaced by Chambers, Arsenal are now being pinned in their own half, Welbeck replaced by Coquelin, With no Arsenal player up-field QPR are free to besiege the penalty area with impunity but the headless chicken defence holds out to take all three points.

written by Norfolk Gooner

50 Responses to A Comfortable 3 points?

1. steven unwin says:

that ways it up.

2. Shubham says:

What a slog! I almost got a heart attack. We hung for dear life. Whoops what a turn around. From a casual afternoon we almost repeated last years Bayern game. The best part of supporting Arsenal is the drama that surrounds the club. Nothing can be taken for granted with Wenger and his wards. I anticipate another clff hanger against West Ham. 3 points would do just fine though….COYG!

I wish AW was braver. When we are one up with 15 mins to go it is inevitable the opposition will force the play.

Why not put on Theo or another attacker to take advantage of the space created?

Instead AW brings on 3 defensive players and we have a nervous end to the game

4. Ben says:

am i the only one who thinks this was not a red card offence?

firstly, he is fouled with a push in the back (a similar situation occurred vs MAN U, when our keeper and gibbs were injured by Fellani)

Then he went to confront the QPR idiot, and from what i can see, went to put his head against him (like what happens at least weekly, when players face off)

Then Ferdinand strangles Giroud right in front of the ref, and gets nothing

Worst thing is, every idiot arsenal fan is blind, and doesnt back our team

How many times have we been hacked, kicked, elbowed etc, and finally one of our players snap and stand up for themselves, and you criticize them ??

5. The Cockie Monster says:

Yes, Ben !.

“Then for some reason, people say this is a headbutt (LOOOOL clearly it wasnt a headbutt)”…………….but hey, I would like you as my defence attorney as clearly my gun made of soap wasn`t going to kill anyone when I asked the lady in the bank to hand over the money as I only wanted to “clean” out the till !. hahaha

English version…….

8. Ben says:

@ The Cockie Monster

Ok, it was a bookable offence – i would settle for a yellow

Giroud went to square up to the QPR player, and the idiot went down (dive massively)

The problem with arsenal fans is that they call our teams pussies when we get the shit kicked out of us, and no defence from the ref (i,e wilshere having ankle snapped by McNair)

– then they say Wenger overplays his players, even though he has little choice due to injuries (other than podolski who is crap out of the box, and cambpell, who is clearly not trusted defensively)

and then when we try to fight back, and get pissed off, like Giroud – our fans turn on the team… pick a position and stick to it – or you are just moaning and bitching for the sake of it

Even Alan Sugar defended Giroud – you know that the situation is bad when spurs defend our players more than our so called fans

9. arnie says:

Fine summation, Norfolk. 🙂 No argument. 3 points in the bag. onwards and upwards. if only Giro were available for the next two games.

But then again many AAers feel Welbz should play central and Giro not be anywhere close to the team, so maybe all is fine. 😛

Ben. If AW thinks it was a genuine red card it is good enough for me.

Of course the QPR Orc was going to dive

11. VCC says:

Ben….I have to agree with Big Raddy. You cannot plant your head on an opponents forehead and get away with it. Granted it was pussy like for Onuha to go down as if he was shot, but Giroud knows the score.

You cannot condone his action.

12. Shard says:

‘QPR win a penalty on seventy-nine minutes’

Sorry to nitpick but this is inaccurate. QPR were awarded a penalty, but that isn’t the same thing.

Raddy,

But if Wenger brings on attackers and QPR score, he’d be accused of being naive and too adventurous. For the record I think Walcott isn’t really fit yet and is to be used only in an emergency.

Ben,
    I see where you are coming from, but Giroud should have known he would get a red for that. Standing up for yourself shouldn’t equal letting down the team .(and I hope the club fines him too.) It is completely justified to give a red for that. No complaints there, except Ferdinand should have been sent off as well, for a second yellow at least. But then, Arsenal are never going to get such decisions.

13. VCC says:

Shard…..the proof was in the pudding. Wenger brought on two defensive minded players. That gave QPR a lift and they knew we were not going to threaten their defences after that. Consequences where we were on the back foot after that moment, and extremely lucky not to concede another penalty with the challenge on Zamora.

Surely it would have been better to replace at least one sub with an offensive player to at least make them a tad wary?

14. Shard says:

VCC

Proof is in the pudding indeed. 3 points! 🙂

15. VCC says:

Yes Shard. I’m glad we managed to keep hold of the three points that we looked comfortable with until Giroud messed up, and Wenger shortly afterwards almost messing up.

Tomorrow will be another test for Mr. Wenger’s tactical approach…..interesting!!!!

Shard. I am saying he should have brought on two defensive players not three. If Theo is on the bench he is fit enough for 15 mins, thus pegging back a full back.

Evening all, fine prematch yesterday Raddy, nice summation NG.

Rasp and I had a similar discussion about defensive ends to games, I think it’s something in the pyscholgy of how we play with the ball, in reality we should move up the pitch controlling possession, but more often we retreat and try to repel the Alamo.

But like Shard and Ben have said its a case of damned if you do dammed if you don’t for our players and manager.

Giroud though in my opinion was stupid, Wengers look at him walking down the tunnel said more than any post match comments, and Ollie knew not to look back at him, he knew he was wrong.

18. Shard says:

Actually VCC, We looked comfortable until much after Giroud messed up. It was only once the referee messed up that we looked in any trouble.

Let’s take a peek into a parallel universe. Arsenal are down to 10 men, tiring, holding onto a lead with a makeshift defense, and Wenger brings on another attacker to try and catch QPR on the counter. One of those corners that QPR had which was blocked by Coquelin or Chambers goes into the goal instead because Walcott or Campbell have their positioning wrong, or lose the ball while trying to spring a counter. Result? People accuse Wenger of being tactically naive for not supporting the defense, not having a plan B. ‘What were we doing attacking when we had the lead?’, they cry.

In fact, it’s odd. Wenger is often accused of not being Mourinho. When he does pull a Mourinho, then too he is wrong. Criticism is easy, and there are no perfect answers. It’s a gamble either way.

For the record, I support the theory that we should bring on attackers. But I don’t have to live with the consequences of that. Wenger does, and chose not to bring on attackers who are either new or perhaps unfit, and instead chose to bring on defensive minded players to support a makeshift, and tiring defense. I don’t have a problem with that. It’s perfectly reasonable.

19. Shard says:

Raddy

If we had someone like Sanchez or Ox on the bench, I would have been more confident bringing them on. Because they are technically better than Walcott (Campbell is untested) and less likely to lose the ball. Walcott is super effective at getting on the end of through balls, but not when we are sitting deeper and deeper and are down to 10 men meaning no one is there to support him.

If you think we’d push all push up if we had an outlet, I think it’s more likely he’d just be isolated and would leave us further short in defense. But yes, in theory I don’t disagree with bringing on an attacker. I just don’t think it’s clear it’s a bad call not to.

20. VCC says:

I totally agree Shard. People, including me criticise Wenger for being gung ho (Liverpool last year to mention a glut of games) but imo his substitutions invited QPR to come onto us.

Point taken about being comfortable until the referee gives them a penalty (wrongly) .

I’m all for keeping an outlet up front on, to alleviate pressure.

21. arnie says:

If Alexis is not an option upfront, what is? 🙂 We successfully shut the game down and bagged the points. I see nothing wrong with that! 🙂

Shard. We disagree. Theo is probably our most fearful weapon for the counter-attack and as such necessitates the opposition to keep at least two players back.

I would rather go down fighting on the front foot than surrendering through timidity.

As you say, it is a tough decision to make.

Shard @7:15 – great comment

24. oz gunner says:

@ BR

Agreed. It’s a tough decision so I think it needs to be balanced. If you are going to make 2 subs bring on theo and chambers. Having no outlet is inviting a ridiculous amount of pressure (something we don’t cope to well with). Theo would pin a couple back and give the team room to breathe. Leave an attacking threat out there and we are in with a chance to double our lead. At the very least he runs his arse off pressuring the ball carriers in the middle of the pitch

I get why Raddy and Oz like the idea of Theo against teams pushing on, but do you not think he is a tad easy to deal with? I reckon you could still comfortably dispossess us with him as the only outlet.

Given we only had ten men the only pass to free Theo and make him a threat is the ball over the top, so they put one man between half way and the eighteen yard box. Even without doing that the pass to be threatening is 100 yard hit and hope, and he is not strong enough or tall enough to be able to bring high balls into him back to goal down.

It’s a personal opinion which if we had 11 on the pitch would make a lot more sense to bring Theo on.

One other thing, NG you have often criticised Arsene for his recent comments about full backs and centre backs and that leads to a fundamental misunderstanding of the game. I think your criticism of Ollie reaction to a small push also shows a fundamental misunderstanding, he could easily have been pushed head first into Robert Greens boot or knee which would have had quite sure consequences so I get why he was so enraged, however he did not have to lean into the guy in the way he did so in that respect if say his red card was all his fault, however Onuha was guilty of cowardly act that could have seriously injured an opponent but is just written off as the “rough and tumble” of English football.

26. The Cockie Monster says:

GIE
    There were a few occasions when QPR lost the ball when pressing us whilst we were down to 10 men and with the likes of Santi and Sanchez defending deep they set up counter attacks that were not 100 yards in the air, so I reckon Theo would have been an asset with Santi and Sanchez running at defenders inviting tackles and exposing gaps for Theo to run onto !.
    Also, whilst outnumbering QPR in our own half there was no need for hit and hope balls, we had enough better technical skilled players to exploit them !. Plus, I think you will find that no team would defend with just one player marking Theo even if we were down to ten men, they ( any team ) would always have two defenders….plus the goalie ! .

Shard makes me super lazy, I don’t have to write anything all I have to do is say that I agree and I do.

Good post though, NG.

I thought we had a treat of a game yesterday: penalties, end to end, a sending off and we won, probably only because QPR are crap though.

The funniest thing that happened near me was that people were singing we’ve only got ten men, we’ve only got ten men and someone sang we’ve only got one man we’ve only got one man and that changed just as quick to being we only need one man, we only need one man. Well, it made us laugh.

Blimey, a football debate, this is a real fine line, there is a strong argument for wanting to bring on Walcott.

One of the things that hasn’t been touched on is just how much Theo has improved, I suspect we all suffer from having different images of just how good he is. I am one of his biggest critics but it has to be said that just before he got injured he was playing the best football of his career.

Morning all.
    Thanks Norfolk, and I love the little Theo chat at the end of the day.

LB
    Love to hear examples of that kind of football humour.

Match Day, and the inevitable excitement returns. I am very glad we have these games against Wham and Saints away. I think the home pressure would be enormous if we didn’t score early on, and I also think the volume from the oppo fans at both grounds will help us.

Arnie

Not being picky, but I am here on my own, so just amusing myself. You say: “many AAers feel Welbz should play central and Giro not be anywhere close to the team”.

Pretty sure that’s just me. Eddie maybe 🙂

Back to my mid life crisis, and I am feeling really old.

Surf looks good, and the sun is even shining, but there’s ice on the cars and the wind chill factor will make it a nice round zero degrees.

I want to light fires and do nothing, but no, I have to go and stand outside the back of a car and take all my clothes off 😦

32. VCC says:

MickyD 8:08, your a brave man. 😀

take all your clothes off? Take a selfie, lets have a larf 🙂

Nope micky, even I don’t agree about Giroud anymore. He kindda grew on me and wouldn’t be without ‘Pants Down’. His game has improved, he can score totally unexpected goals, works hard, nice guy, handsome…I want him to stay. Ollie is not the only one that has been playing below his ability of late. Hell knows what is happening to them, but they 4 out of 5 games they are disappointing. Injuries and refereeing doesn’t help, but there is more to it, a definite drop in form all around

I prefer to see OG central. He is the better finisher.

I have been swimming in the sea on NYD at Polzeath on a snow covered beach without a wet suit.

Admittedly I was the worse for drink but nonetheless a challenge was issued and I stepped up.

NG – I am so sorry, I didn’t even say thank you for the post. Sorry and thank you xx

Torres gone to Italy, big deal, who cares

Raddy – I can barely swim, but while drunk in Malta I spent hours swinging from a rope on a ship to the sea. I cannot say often enough how grateful I am for not drinking anymore.

Do you think DidIt will get pissed before he takes the dip?

My cousin did the Christmas Day dip this year in Sunny Hunny (Hunstanton for non Norfolkonians) not a wet suit in sight (against the rules). She thinks we are all going to join her next year…..I am currently outside getting my morning fresh air, and it’s safe to say the sea is not calling on this bright but fffffreezing morning.

Ah ha, peoples

This is how weak and feeble I feel, the wetsuits are on the aga BEFORE we go 🙂

And yes Raddy, you need a wetsuit. Two hours in the sea butt naked, tackle out, and it’s certain death 🙂

39. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all, Nice one Norfolk.
    I left a comment on yesterdays post, then disappeared, Of course i was angry at some of the things that happened in the match, as one of our regulars pointed out, My rant at how much players earn should have no bearing on what happens on the pitch, Maybe he is right, but for a mug like me, who has worked for what seems like a pittance for best part of fifty years, i feel that a young man who has been turned into a millionaire in a very short time, would have a little bit more sense.

Yes i may expect more from professional players, because it means a lot to me to see my football club do well. Of course i am wrong to think that a young man who has everything, would really care less if he sits out for a 3 match spell, knowing that that cheque will still be deposited in his account.

Maybe i question to much, maybe i expect the players Manager and owners to actually want to win things, maybe i didn’t realise that its just a well paid job, funded by supporters and sponsors.

Perhaps the game of football is just an event where people can go and be entertained, doesn’t matter who wins and who loses. I suppose i shouldn’t say anything about Wenger’s 8 million wages, or Giroud’s 100 grand a week, perhaps i should just sit back and enjoy the Arsenal players give the ball away, head butt, and miss penalties, after all its only entertainment after all.

Maybe i have been looking at football the wrong way for all these years. Amateurs play for no wages, I know i did, but i must have been doing something wrong because i did care who won.

So i apologise perhaps it doesn’t matter, I just feel it may take me longer to adjust than most.

Hey Raddy

While you slept, I was hard at work transfer gossip hunting, and I unearthed the most fabulous news imaginable.

Yes, my dear, we’re back in for Cavani. God that would change the quality of my life 🙂

Mrs Raddy went sea swimming on Xmas day and will repeat her madness on NYD…….. In a bikini.

But then she is a Viking

We allegedly want cech too, which got me thinking that Webber is taking the CL lark seriously and is getting ready for penalty shootout

Raddy. Please tell me you ran away with the towels.

Wenger you stupid android!!!

Eddie
    I’ll be thinking Webber has certainly lost the plot if we sign Cech. Crikey, we have enough GKs

Micky. They don’t use towels. Just wind dry themselves prior to doing some pillaging.

Great news about Cavani. That would be a brilliant Xmas gift.

We don’t need Cech. he is a busted flush

wind dry 🙂

We so need a Cavani. He was absolutely electric at Napoli when deployed through the middle. Speed and quality finishing.

Have to go out so ….