WHU: Jump

This is going to be short as Mrs Raddy has plans 😦

West Ham. The Boleyn ground. Unhappy memories of this place. Bananas thrown at Kevin Campbell. The Chicken Run and the Inner City Firm (look them up). Returning to the car and finding it keyed. Liam Brady playing against us. Can you believe that in the late ’90’s the men’s toilets had nowhere to wash hands? Hateful place.

Of course it wasn’t always thus; there were the days post-’66 with Peters, Moore and Hurst. The Football Academy developing the skills of Trevor Brooking, Alan Devonshire etc etc.

Sadly, new ownership and poor management ruined the club. Until now….

I hate to say this but Allardyce is doing a great job. He may be a gum-chewing walrus but his team are punching way above their weight and this is due to his management. Teamwork, pace, strong defence and midfield, and hard work have pushed WHU to the top 4. Add to this the attacking power of Carroll, Sakho and Valencia and we can see West Ham have the potential to surprise

Yet, we have a fine record against the happy Hammers and should not be cowed by their physicality. Admittedly we are down to the bare bones in certain areas of the pitch (defence and midfield) but we have enough to compete.

Then there is Alex Song. A majority of Gooners seem to think we should have taken him back – especially as it is a loan deal. Why didn’t we? My guess is that AW feels we have enough midfielders and that Song was simply not improvement upon what we have. I think he was wrong  – just as I think he was wrong not to re-sign Fabregas. Rumour has it that Song became Jimmy Big Bollocks in the dressing room and the players were happy to see him leave. Could be true.

Given the 3 game ban for OG there is a possibility of playing an extraordinarily fast forward line of Welbz, Theo and Alexis. Could be very exciting.

My concerns are the set pieces. We have a nasty habit of giving away free-kicks around our area and WHU have the personnel to take advantage. Allardyce knows this, so does every Tom, D & H, and if we all know it why can’t it be fixed?? Buy. Buy. Buy.

A tough fixture against a team bang in form. A win at the Boleyn would be an unexpected Xmas Sale gift.

COYRRG

written by Big Raddy

263 Responses to WHU: Jump

1. Gilly says:

West Ham and Southampton are the test for Wenger. If we fail to beat any of these two, it will confirm We ger’s coaching life is over. He has run out of excuses

Thanks Raddy, spot on with your assessment. Sam will have prepared his players really well for this game. They know exactly what Arsenal’s weaknesses are …. I just hope we’ve put in an equal amount of work to make sure they can’t exploit our weaknesses.

This is the same as the Stoke game …. we know in advance what to expect. You are quite right to point out that we mustn’t give away free kicks and corners unnecessarily – Andy Carol will have a field day.

I’m sorry to be boring but the game will again be won or lost by our midfield. It has rarely worked efficiently all season.

Bow your head in shame Giroud. If ever there was a game when we needed you on the near post defending corners this was it. You’ve let us all down.

3. Shard says:

Thanks BR.

This is going to be a tough game, and WHU were clearly prioritizing this fixture over the Chelsea one. Carroll, Song, Sakho etc were not made to play 90 mins.

Our midfield is a problem area with so many injuries, and so Flamini, Cazorla and Rosicky seem like our only options (maybe Coquelin) and they just had a tiring game against QPR after being down to 10 men and the hustle at the end.

Much debate around whether Kos will start, and I don’t know. He’s better than Monreal, but he isn’t great against Carroll either. Plus of course, risking his fitness is an issue. I think stopping crosses will be the bigger issue, and for that reason I hope Bellerin is fit. Debuchy is decent in the air at CB, better than Monreal, and Bellerin is quick and can perhaps block those crosses coming in. Chambers has been unable to recently. If Bellerin isn’t fit, I hope Debuchy plays RB and Chambers CB.

Rasp’s point about Giroud being needed at defending corners. Might it be worth starting Sanogo? Honestly, I would rest Sanchez for this game. Walcott, Campbell, Podolski, Welbeck, Sanogo. I’d pick my starting front 3 from those 5, with Sanchez on the bench.

Upton Park remains a small pitch, they will condense the play in the middle of the park. Personally I think Song would have been a better deal than Cesc, but perhaps we would have had too difficult a selection issue had Arteta remaind fit.

Tough game today opponents in good form, especially at home and always a tricky ground to visit, they have a Downing who will exploit whichever flank is left free, so we need pace around the back 4 and across the middle.

I’d actually try and start 4-4-2 today, perhaps Santi and Ox wide, Sanchez up top off Welly and a middle two of Flamster and Coquelin?

5. oz gunner says:

Cheers Radish.

Very tough game today. Another one of those edge of your seat heart in mouth type games. I really dislike andy Carroll (probably because he enjoys playing against us). I’ll be watching defensive corners with gritted teeth.

No surprise downing is back to form…only thing he can do is cross and he seems to follow the big thug around wherever he goes.

@ Shard

Debuchy has a great leap but it won’t count for much if Carroll is climbing over him or if he is given a run at the ball.

With Giroud out Kozzer must play…no two ways about it.

Is the OX definitely out? He could be important today.

It infuriates me that we never start with a first choice 11 against squads which have perhaps one or two injuries

I see the press is stoking up the potential for discontent if Arsenal lose today with stories of how Song and Cesc both wanted to return to Arsenal but were rejected 😦

8. arnie says:

Great PM as ever, Raddy. 🙂

Tough game, very nervous.

Not having Kos, Giro, the Ox and Rambo is disaster. Not getting to see Theo is very worrying. 😦

Nevertheless, when the going gets tough the tough gets going. I expect us to win. 1-0 to the Gunners. COYG. 🙂

9. The Cockie Monster says:

Thanks Rads !.

I had my worst experience at Upton Park in the 80`s, chased by a gang of ICF (Inter City Firm ) yobs who obviously wanted my arse`…… no wonder they are called ……The Irons ( for those who don’t know Cockney Slang, that’s Iron Hoofters = poofters ! )….I was cornered with my back to the pitch, so it was either a sore rectum or jump on the pitch and try and join in the kick about !……I jumped on the pitch and was immediately grabbed by the Fuzz !. hahaha ….Charlie Nicholas was sold the day before and the copper said…No Charlie !….you were sold yesterday, so cant play !….he then escorted me out of the ground whilst I signed autographs. I did get to see the only goal of the game in a one nil win and like to think I was partly involved in the goal as when I ran on the pitch I drew a few West Ham defenders out of position !. hahaha

I don’t know which site I read it on, but someone was adamant that Cesc wanted rest and either put the blame or credit on Wenger !. I`ve no doubt we could have had both Cesc and Song. Question is…..would we have been better for their services or not and don’t forget the possible implications of The Chavs season without Cesc` !…….would they have been better or worse ?.

The Evidence ?.

10. arnie says:

The press (or should we say Scousers?) will have its views. No surprise there. However, let us not forget our view of things.

Cesc never wanted to return to us. Our players never wanted Song back, neither did our fans, End of ….. 🙂

11. The Cockie Monster says:

Oops !….should be …”Cesc wanted Chelsea, which I thought was bollox, lets put that rumour to rest and either put the blame or credit on Wenger ! “

12. The Cockie Monster says:

I wanted him back, arnie ! 😆

13. The Cockie Monster says:

Actually, I will predate…” I want them back !”….with a …….I never wanted them to go in the first place !. hahaha

So who is available today? Ramsey? Koscielny? Monreal? Arteta?

15. arnie says:

nice motning batner.

I was doing taxi service at 5AM and came in briefly. The dungeon was empty at that time and I was too tired. Back to sleep. Regret it a bit now. 🙂

BTW, where is Kelsey?

16. The Cockie Monster says:

oooo ! mmmmmm!…………a split vote coming up soon ?……Spuds vs Manshafter……who do we want to win ?…or maybe a draw !.

I know a few on here have their Arsenal DNA all fcuked up by hating Manshafter more than the Spuds !……..let me give a subtle hint of who you should want to win !………..DIE YOU FCUKING SPUDS !. hahaha

Top pre-match BR

Should be an entertaining game, I suspect the neutrals are going to love this one.

18. arnie says:

what do we hope for Spuds – ManUre? a draw? 😛

The way the points are stacking up Cockie, we should all wish for a draw

I think the general rule is: if Sanchez can breath, he plays.

21. arnie says:

snap, Cockie. 😆

I’m going to regret this …. but if we win and Southampton lose to the chavs, we’ll be 4th by 5 o-clock

LB. Agree.

Difficult to know about the Spurs/MU game. A draw may be the best we can hope for

24. The Cockie Monster says:

Trouble is, Rasp…….with our injury record, I don’t think we have a cat in hells chance of getting 3rd or better, so lets concentrate on 4th, so that’s Spud territory !…..come on Manshafter !. 👿

The 2 best GK’s in the PL on show in the early kick off

26. The Cockie Monster says:

That poses another question, Rasp !. Soton or Chavs win ?………what has the world come to, when I want a Chav and Manshafter win on the same day ?. I`m going to get a steak tenderising mallet and bash my Hampton for having such undesirable thoughts…….bad boy , take that !.

Definitely a chavs win or a draw. We need to be in 4th and then we can look to climb further

28. The Cockie Monster says:

If Rasp and Raddy are having the same thoughts !……than I expect Rasp to have put his chopper in an aquarium full of Piranha and Raddy has set light to his in a bath giving it a Viking funeral !. hahaha

29. The Cockie Monster says:

Although Raddy will be screaming for Valderma …not Valhalla !.

30. VCC says:

TCM, surely a draw in both games would suit us better.

Incidentally, how much money would you put on Arsenal finishing in the top four this season?

31. Occasional Reader says:

not a happy ground at all back in the day. Playing them was never pleasant, even at home, as the writer of the headline post alludes to, due to those idiots the ICF. Let’s beat these pretenders, RIP John Dickinson

My preference for today’s results.

City win
    United – Spud draw or Spud win
    Chav – S’oton draw or S’oton win

Us win….obvs but preference is with high goal margin.

I know I shouldn’t want S’oton or Spud wins but I think 3rd is still doable and I also would like to see a bit of doubt creep in at both Chavs and ManUre. Find it interesting that there is nowhere near the hype around City in the media that follows both Chavs and ManUre. Pellegrini is not a quote machine and he is too considered for many of them. Ring any bells?

Should say West Ham are my second team, me and a mate used to alternate between each North Bank. My Grandad was a hammer as revealed on these pages and bought me a West Ham kit for my 4th bday.

My birthday is June and the year was 1980……Exile Senior was very upset.

35. arnie says:

Interesting one, VCC. Heart says YES. Mind says, Not so sure. However, at the moment we are still favourites. 🙂 It is going to be a end-of-the-season scramble, and experience counts. 🙂

36. The Cockie Monster says:

Hi Vics !. 😀

No money!….I cant afford to throw money away !. hahaha

37. arnie says:

That is a very good book. thank you, Rasp, I might actually get a copy.

Those were the dark days of football in this country arnie … but as has been said many times, football is a reflection of society

Here’s a variation on Raddy’s music theme topic for today …..

40. fatgingergooner says:

Tough game today and I’m not confident.

I hope Koz plays as he gives the rest of the back 4 a boost.

We need a big game from Sanchez and Cazorla today and we must be clinical in front of goal.

Anyone know if Jenks is allowed to play?

Rasp 👍 I am a sucker for AOR

Title refers (obviously) to our defence at set plays

😀 Raddy

FGG, Jenks isn’t allowed to play

43. fatgingergooner says:

So a Chelsea win and an Arsenal win and we finish the year in 4th.

Good result for us at Shite Hart Lane!

best result from the Lane. Come on you Saints.

OK back to football. I see Saints as a bigger threat to us than the chavs (who I think are out of sight) so I want a draw or chav win. It would be a huge boost to go into the new year in 4th spot.

Hate to admit it I think like Arsene:

Szczesny, Debuchy, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal, Flamini, Coquelin, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Cazorla, Alexis, Welbeck

See my 10:35

FGG Jenkinson can’t play due to PL rules.

Thanks Big Radford.

GIE’s 4-4-2?

48. Team for the day

……………………………TPIG……………………….

Debuchy…………..Merts………….Kos……….Monreal

OX……………..Flamini…………………Coquelin

Alexis…………..Welbeck………………Cazorla

Looks like a post – Xmas tree formation 🙂

51. arnie says:

on the lineup, cannot complain. 🙂

on the result so far in the Saints game. rubbish. 😛

52. Much will depend on how fit Koscielny is. I’m not sure why Monreal is playing, is it the right time to rest Gibbs? Or should we go with our strongest back four?

I’d have liked to see Alexis rested, he surely must be knackered, Walcott could have played instead.

Still, Arsene knows best. Doesn’t he?

53. arnie says:

Norfolk. 🙂

NG I guess you have to rotate at some point over Xmas, if everyone gets a one game rest over four games probably ok.

If we sign Scheiderlin I guess he can play in the CL

I must admit I still like a Southampton win, Ok we will be 2 points behind them and 3 behind ManUre (if we win today), but we face them on NYD, we’ve beaten them once, they will be stretched after playing their legs out for the win today. We will go 1 point above them with a NYD win 🙂

57. You’re absolutely right GIE, but I would like to see our best back four play together once this season. 😀

Please Monsieur Wenger, when we are defending corners, put a full-back on each post.

58. BR, probably in goal. 😀

Maybe he is saving it for Saints away, I do wonder whether our line up today makes it easier to play a double pivot defence.

With game time at centre half for both DeBoosh and Monreal, and two defensive midfielders, we should be able to shuffle when one of our full backs attacks (ie Debuchy goes forward, BFG, Koz and Monreal all shuffle right. And Flamster and Coq fill in the gaps.

60. arnie says:

LUCKY? 🙂

Budge up

That was blatant interfering with play – I don’t know what the co-commentator is going on about.

63. arnie says:

Rocky. good refereeing, though. 😆

Good lines manning actually, arnie 🙂

Makes a pleasant change!

Lol Cesc booked for diving…..it was neither a dive or a pen, but eventually this is what happens to a Maureen side, the dark arts start getting seen. Ivanovic went unpunished for a dive against Hammers on Boxing Day, and everyone starts to see it.

So I have no stream access….anyone watching?

I’m at work so I’m going to have to rely on you guys for an unbiassed runnig commentary 🙂

According to the beeb, they’re winning 6:4 in fouls and having 54% possession!

Koeman is definitely turning Saints into a more physical outfit than they were last season, but then no surprise given his il uncompromising style as a player, a lovely footballer but a hard bastard to go with it.

Blimey, we’ve just put in two good corners. Am I dreaming?

I’m finding it hard to discover who is the better team ….. anyone got an opinion?

72. arnie says:

very poor streams, GiE. I will restart at halftime

Hammers with more of the ball Rasp but it’s pretty cat-and-mouse at the moment.

Song had a long range volley disallowed because two Hammers players in front of Szcz – in offside positions – jumped over the ball before it went in the net. The commentators are trying to make out that it’s a controversial decision but it was a text book example of “interfering with play.”

Carroll just booked for elbowing Debuchy

75. arnie says:

obviously us, Rasp. 😆

Thanks Rocky & arnie (the slightly less objective 🙂 ) …. keep me posted.

How is Coquelin fitting in next to Flamini?

Penalty to Arsenal

78. arnie says:

penalty!!!!!!

Santi to take

81. arnie says:

Cazorla. 1-0 to the Arsenal

YYeeeaaaaa …. does Cazorla get the goal and the assist?

Haha – the pen was our first shot on target!

84. arnie says:

OK, now, who was saying it is better that the person earning the penalty should not take the penalty? 😛

I suppose that rule holds for Alexis, not Santi. 😛

Yes Rasp

YES – Danny – 2-0

Right …. just bloody concentrate and get in at half time 1 nil up ……

Great six-yard-box poaching from Danny.

Great assist from Oxo.

Hahhaaahaaaaa 2 nil …. deep deep joy 🙂 🙂 🙂

89. arnie says:

lovely team goal, Welbz. no time to take a touch! 😛

Glad they didn’t listen to you about going in at HT 1-0 up Rasp 🙂

91. arnie says:

GiE. Cricfree Flash2 working well for me now. from wiziwig

HT 0-2 😀

Me too Rocky 😆

Hammers played with a lot of confidence but generally we dealt with them very well and looked to hit them on the break – in other words the reverse of our normal games.

Coq has been doing well and Szcz has been dominant in the box.

Good to have Kozzer back too.

But there’s still an awful lot of work to do before the points are in the bag.

95. arnie says:

about Coquelin, I think he is OK in a DM role, defending. passing is a bit hit and miss. OK with the experience of Flamster alongside.

Ox has been great on the right flank. Classy and hardworking shift by Alexis, as usual.

Defenders has been under the cosh for much of the half, but stuck to their jobs well. Monreal is the weak link, IMO.

Good job so far. On with the show. COYG.

OK now, time for a breath of fresh air. 🙂

Hmmmm, sounds like we’ve got to play with our heads in the 2nd half. Will Mr Wenger tweak anything at half time I wonder?

hm, hm, hm – why isn’t anybody criticising poor refereeing ? Bunch of hypocrites 🙂 🙂 🙂

Raddy – great post, thank you. I have good memories of WH grounds; that is where the Lasagne diarrhoea hit the Spuds. Sales have been poor this year; the game is of much better quality

Watching Chavs throwing kitchen sink at Saints (who lost Schneiderlin to second book able so out for NYD)

Couldn’t get to phone as have responsibilities to feed the beast whilst Mrs Exile and No 1 Jnr Exile nap.

Get to my phone find we are 2-0 up….lovely jubbly!

After the Liverpool game, when we were completely unable to retain the ball in MF, I think AW’s decision to go with two more defensive minded midfielders in Coq and Flam has worked well so far.

Thanks Raddy
    Only just read the post
    Am I being thick, but “jump?”

What’s the poor reffing, Eddie?

I think they’ve got the decisions spot on, with the possible exception that Reid might have been red carded for giving away the penalty but didn’t even get a yellow…

102. arnie says:

Santi and Welbz have also been good. 🙂

103. arnie says:

I like the sight of Coq. good grafter, team man. 🙂

Micky, Raddy has already explained … Jump, as in jump to defend the ball from corners and set pieces … keep up man 😛

I wouldn’t say “I like the sight of Coq” in public if I were you arnie …..

Belated thanks for the pre-match BR

Burnley just got one back against city

We need another 6 goals to go above the saints 😕

Theo warming up

Don’t get sent off Sanchez, I’d seriously think about subbing him if we’re still 2 nil up with 20 to go. Is the Pod on the bench?

…. or Theo 😛 ….

Bollocks – 2-1

Aerial onslaught.

Just what we didn’t want 😦

114. arnie says:

Rasp. 🙂

One goal back. This was coming. COYG. 🙂

Well we know what to expect now. Let’s see if we deserve the top 4 billing

Not great start to second half 😦

117. arnie says:

lovely stuff, Ox and Santi.

118. arnie says:

another good corner.

Ooo like the two draws earlier

Shurrup rasp I’m playing catch up 😄

Aerial onslaughts worked for Big Sam when is teams played us at Bolton and Blackburn, so it is no surprise that the second half would include that tactic.

Still, I read that Arsene is looking to bring a 30 year old Lic Perrin a CB from St Etienne to sort that out. If he is as slow as the BFG we would have a matching Per. 🙂

Rocky – was it really a disallowed goal and Andy Carroll ‘s yellow?

Hate to say it but we look nervy now. Just need to control the ball for a bit.

Getting a bit nerve wracking as usual this seaon.

124. arnie says:

crosses into the box are the danger. we are not great in dealing with these.

Eddie
    If that didn’t count as “interfering with play” then nothing ever would (an offside player dummying the ball two yards in front of the ‘keeper).

And Carroll led with his elbow – it wasn’t a heinous crime, but definitely a foul and probably deserving of a yellow.

Unlucky Danny – great run and shot.

RA tried to email you though I guessed it was a bogus addres. I have made you a vid but do not want to make it public. I would like to send you either a Dropbox or Flikr file.

Any ideas?

128. arnie says:

lovely run and shot, Welbz. See, I am becoming a convert. 😛

Its sounding like we’ll need another goal

Superb game

Theo for Sanchez anyone?

Your talent should be made public, Raddy, just like your excellent Posts!! 🙂 [Thanks for the Pre-Match]

Can I get back to you on the Vid as I have been having some trouble at t’Mill, so to speak.

Rasp, @ 4:27, I’ll just have two lumps, please, Vicar.

134. arnie says:

No, Rasp, not for me. just too risky. 🙂 if we score another one, for The Ox, maybe. 🙂

Don’t worry rocky, I never accused you of being unbiased 🙂

As it is now I’ll take a point

136. arnie says:

give him a game off after Soton away. 😛

137. arnie says:

two brilliant saves by Adrian

No Rasp – Sanchez looks like making something happen every time he gets the ball.

Hammers ‘keeper is becoming their MOTM.

Danny good chance, should have done better.

Happy Christmas Redders

141. arnie says:

shit, Welbz, that was the chance. too much time. 😛

Elbows Nolan on for the Hammers

With Csrroll and Nolan the Hammers have the best elbow attack in the Premier League.

Happy Xmas and New Year to you and the family, Rocket. 😀

Loving this
    Could do with another hour or two of it

Not at 2-1 Micky – it’s playing havoc with my finger nails 🙂

Burnley just equalised….

148. arnie says:

Gibbs on for Welbz. not complaining. There is a plan here, hopefully we stick to it. 🙂

I am experiencing a Sporting Incommunicado moment, as it stands, and I am a bag of nerves depending on you reprobates for a not so running commentary! 😦

Rocky
    Sorry
    Did they take long to do

Defensive substitution?

Nervy last few minutes Redders – you might be better off not watching!

Micky
    Especially the sparkly ones 🙂

Calum on for Oxo

155. arnie says:

Chambers on for The Ox. OK, sounds good. 🙂

156. wally says:

I think playing on the counter better suits us.

5 mins of injury time

Phew – good save Szcz

159. arnie says:

fecking 5 mins stoppage time! feck. 😦

Corner to WHam

But you should see the work of art that was ruined when he got to his toe-nails, Micky, — now they look just like yours! 🙂

162. 1-2!!!!!!! FFS, torture every game!!!!!

Thanks Arsenal 😉

For ‘fecks sake’ what is bucking happening?

Pink toenails going now Micky…

OMG – Hammers free kick, headed onto roof of net. Squeaky bum.

Blow youu fff..f.f.f..f.f.f..f.f..

YES – great 3 points

Yeeeehhhhaaaaa 😛 😛

169. arnie says:

nervy nervy nervy. just lost 5 days of my life. well done to the good guys. 🙂

Joint 4th place on points

2 points closer to the chavs, city and the mancs

Fantastic game
    Massive result

173. arnie says:

another one on NYD, and we are 4th. 🙂

Erm how many of the top 6 won 2 of2 in three days?

It’s back on 🙂

176. fatgingergooner says:

Wow! These boys really know how to make a game stressful!

I said we needed to be clinical and for 45 minutes we were. Then we piled the pressure on ourselves by wasting some brilliant chances. Fair play to their keeper though who made some top saves.

Absolutely vital win with what those around us have done today.

Brilliant team performance and we battled for every ball. Very proud of that performance as I was worried about the result today.

Get in there!

The Treble, I mean…. 🙂

Well said FGG

If the team deserved the brickbats after the Liverpool performance they deserve the bouquets today. A real, battling performance against a confident team that’s doing well.

We were well organized and played well defensively AS A TEAM.

Big mentions for…

Szcz – terrific game.
    Santi – another top performance. Our current MVP.
    Sanchez – how can you not love him?
    Welbz – great work rate, great poacher’s goal.
    Oxo – very dangerous and great assist.
    Per & Koz – we looked so much stronger with them back in tow.
    Coq & Flam – unspectacular, but worked hard and covered position really well.

If I could have got on my computer earlier, I was going to express my total dissatisfaction with a team including both Flamini and Le Coq.

But I couldn’t and didn’t so it does not count! 🙂

Have you any idea how much mental torture one goes thru’ relying on snippets on a blog to learn how your team is doing. I suspect Rocker is right, it might be better to carry on using my eidetic memory to recall the players, the moves, Mr Wenger’s non-functioning zip, the roar of the crowd while I fantasise about what might be happening.

And in other news:

Raddy has recorded a song for RA, but would rather keep it private. Two possible reasons.

a. It’s a romantic number of a very personal nature.
    b. It’s about a machine that drives under the sea. And is yellow.

Now, back to football 🙂

181. jnyc says:

Schneiderlen double yellow I think misses us next. Alexis and ox busting a gut for the team. Szcezny motm handled tons of crosses and high balls. Thats when its nice to have a big strong keeper. The commentstors were fools and biased against us as usual.
    Songs offside disallowed goal was a great, courageous call. When u see the replay, u can appreciate it more.

182. jnyc says:

And I noticed song wasnt celebrating when he thought he scored. Nice from him.

183. arnie says:

Wenger: “We had a committed and united performance. The keeper made some good saves. We knew we needed to be good in the air today.

“I didn’t know why Alex Song’s goal didn’t stand, I thought it would. We scored a good second goal and had many opportunities to score another. It didn’t come and at 2-1 I thought the last 30 minutes would be difficult.

“We did dig deep. It is down to consistency and we are slowly getting there.”

184. fatgingergooner says:

Best result of the season so far for me. With the injuries we are carrying, having just played a tough game with 10 men, and playing against a physical side, I couldn’t ask for any more.

Game of the day on Sky Sports! I will watch that later after the NFL games!

jnyc
    Happy Christmas!

I noticed Song not celebrating too – I think he’s still angling for a move back to the Mighty Arse,

186. arnie says:

what’s not to like? 🙂 another tough one next. COYG. 🙂

187. arnie says:

how about Song as a contingency plan as DM next year? in case Carvalho does not work out? 😛 just asking.

Not based on his performance today, Arnie 🙂

Agree that this was our best result of the season (best performance wasNewcastle) but I don’t know how much damage this is doing to my health! Maybe I should start smoking again

Brilliant team performance.

Happy Days.

190. fatgingergooner says:

Am I the only one who was actually pleased to see Wenger start Coq and Flam in midfield today?

My first thought was it was nice to see Wenger thinking about the defensive side of the team when naming his side, but I’ve just looked online and seen hundreds of tweets from Arsenal fans having a go about it!

Worked out in the end I suppose.

191. arnie says:

Rocky. 🙂 superb strike, though.

RA Hope all goes well for you.

The story as I understand it, is that Song had hoped to return to Arsenal, and he also thought Cesc wanted to come back but in each case Arsene declined to do so.

Arsene is a gentleman and is sensitive to people’s feelings, so I will say it for him — now I am trying to be delicate here — but at a guess, I think he was telling the pair of them to just buck off. My view too.

Arnie

Another tough one, yes, but as I think I said this morning, I’d far rather have these games away from The Ems.

I think both the atmospheres, and lack of home tension, really help us.

195. arnie says:

FGG. Me as well. Though I am not saying anything about Le Coq publicly. 😛

196. arnie says:

well, Micky, the away games are more tricky. we should be able to get results at the Ems without such heroics. In principle. 😛

FGG
    No, you aren’t alone. I was really pleased when I heard the team news. It’s merely Arteta Flamini Plan B, and it provides such a good platform for Santi, Ox, Mesut, Danny, Alexis and even Joel to operate from. In other words, skilful speed merchants. We looked so much better on the counter today.

198. The Cockie Monster says:

Much less stress from behind the Sofa !……..My Arsenal Onesie is now two wins on the trot, so gets the MotM award !. I better keep it for the Soton match !.

Not me, by the way !….I don’t do photos in case of pending paternity suits !…..like I don’t like to talk about my children either, in case the missus finds out about them !.

199. arnie says:

Micky, I agree the atmosphere helps us, and that is sad. really really sad. 😦

sometimes I wish, like Cockie said, that we come 10th one year. Just to get some of the bile-mongers off our backs to join the Chav-herd. the situation is just too sad. 😦

Arnie
    The tension at The Ems if we don’t score early is terrible, then there’s the lack of atmosphere. The just thought our players would respond well, and they did.

Sorry Arnie/All
    I don’t want to go off on a negative tangent. It was my way this morning of responding to the two tough “away” games comment.
    That was a very enjoyable game so only positive vibes from me. Like, no Giroud and long balls…ooops 🙂

202. arnie says:

Micky. Right as well. Bring on the New Year. 🙂 🙂 🙂

203. arnie says:

just in case he was forgotten. 😛

Hey Rasp

On way back from beach, I stopped to pick up a newspaper, and as usual on a sunday, I turned over all of them to eye the back pages.

Guess what’s all over the back of The Daily Mail? Arsenal back in for Cavalho, and on that happy note, it’s time to shower off the sea salt.

205. fatgingergooner says:

Don’t get me wrong, I’d much rather us have Matic and Carvalho in midfield, but I don’t have much of an issue with who Wenger buys. I have more of a problem with how he sets up the team in certain games.

He deserves credit today though. We slaughtered them on the counter with our pace without leaving ourselves wide open. Playing Monreal was another great call as he tends to sit back more than Gibbs, and the wide areas could’ve been a real problem for us today if we’d let them throw crosses in to Carroll. Our full backs blocked off that supply and the crosses from deep were much easier for Merts and Kos to defend than balls from the by-line. Only once we slipped up and they scored.

206. poigmothoin says:

Great result, long may it continue.
    Word of the day “eidetic” take a bow RA. 🙂

Did anyone watch Carvalho play against Chavs this season? I haven’t but according to a few comments in podcasts I listen to you’d wonder why he has become the name aArsenal fans want…I haven’t seen him play. But on players I’ve watched regularly is rather a Schneiderlin than a Wanyama, i hate to look at Chavs but compare Matic to Obi Mikel, which one does Maureen favour and why?

208. The Cockie Monster says:

Rubbish Poig` !……….”Twosie” is the word of the day !……I`d like to take a bow, but this “Onesie” is quite tight fitting !. 😀

209. fatgingergooner says:

There was a bit of talk about us missing Giroud today and for 40 minutes we did. As soon as we scored though it was a different story.

Cazorla and Sanchez showed you don’t need to be a unit to hold up the ball. Loads of times they were isolated with 2 or 3 men around them but they used balance and quick feet to get away and set up runners like Ox, Welbs etc.

That first goal is vital to us playing on the counter and it showed today.

We didn’t miss Ollie. With Cavani coming he must worried

211. fatgingergooner says:

GiE,

Have you seen Krychowiak at Sevilla? He looks a beast and would be my choice.

Exile
    Never seen Cavalho, but he’s a DM and quite expensive, so I got excited 🙂

FGG
    As for….err, that one you just mentioned… then for me it’s down to two things. Firstly, and most obviously, is he expensive enough?
    And secondly, does he have an easy first name, like Steve, otherwise it’s a big no from me. Still not entirely happy with Wojtek Shezney

I really want to see Theo play at S’ton but expect us to start with the same 11.

Today Coq added something which we have ben lacking unless we play the Arteta/Flamini axis. Thinking of which Flamster has been terrific over Xmas.

FGG
    “There was a bit of talk about us missing Giroud today”
    Giggle, ROLF. Not from me there wasn’t sunshine 🙂

“Oh do behave Didit” 🙄

Hi Raddy
    I think Theo may have been completely rested just for the Southampton game. Many players look knackered at the end, but Ox looked really done in.

Raddy @6:29
    That’s the spirit 🙂

Was Rosicky rested today? Obv not in match day squad or worse injured or perhaps Wenger reacting to Rosickys post match against QPR about hoping the “boss can see he can pick me more.”

I wondered also whether Micky is right about home and away and to an extent Tomas was more likely to continue the game plan even if the crowd got on the teams back compared to starting Coq, makes far more sense blooding players away from home especially if you feel they may be too young to withstand a barracking from their own fans?

218. Has anyone offered a match report?

A mate of chary’s was at the game and has offered to write one for us …….. I need to confirm with chary so speak now or forever ……….

219. I’ll say yes then shall I?

220. For anyone that hasn’t noticed, sky has chosen our game for their game of the day, 8pm on sky1 I think

221. Chary’s mate is writing a match report for tomorrow’s post.

222. chas mobile says:

Rosicky was asking to come off on Friday as if he’d had a kick on his foot. If that helps.

Great. Well played chary’s mate

Good plan peaches 🙂

Who is the idiot pundit on Sky. The man must be WHU because he is totally anti-Arsenal

226. oz gunner says:

Results in our favour and 3 points…beautiful stuff

Extended highlights:

@ jnyc

He picked up the red against Chelsea’s because he’s trying to impress Arsene!

@ FGG

Definitely a happy goner seeing Le coq back in the team. I’d like to see him given an extended run. Was shipped to left back, right back and another country. How about an extended go if we don’t pick up a DM in January. It’s not like Flamini has set the world on fire this season.

227. oz gunner says:

Like the commentators “song played at Arsenal for 2 and a half years”….good job…well researched :stern look:

So injury then Chas….bugger

Oh this is bloody fantastic:

Maureen:

“There is a campaign against Chelsea. I don’t know why there is this campaign and I do not care.

“Everybody knows it was a penalty. The referee made a mistake, people make mistakes and he made a big mistake. He is a good referee and a good guy, he is young, he has years and years of football ahead of him but it is a big mistake.”

Poor Jose “my players don’t dive” Mourinho….I’m afraid it’s become a bit too regular an occurrence and the refs can’t help but have those moments in their head when they ref your games, in fact they will be on the lookout for anything that resembles a dive and punishing it. By the way this media campaign against you, didn’t get to Alan Shearer who felt Ivanovic was clipped and right to go down on boxing day, whereas the whole worlds saw like Cahill that both lesser fearlessly bent backwards before contact was made, it’s almost like they’ve been taking lessons from hmm let me think Eden Hazard Under your instruction. Call me old fashioned.

The other thing that made me burst out laughing:

Peter Scudamore:

Speaking to German newspaper Bild am Sonntag, Scudamore said: “Germany has done a great deal for the development of young players since 2001 and we’re still lagging behind.”

Now I wonder why that might be MrScudamore?

Have you thought that perhaps you could come up with some laws that whilst not flouting EU working law and freedom of movement etc etc actually encourage teams to develop youngsters from England and Wales (I know but idlf Cardiff and Swansea can play in the EPL they have to be). How about instead of this 17+8 plus any amount of under 21’s you make it 15+5 plus any amount of under 25’s English/Welsh and been at the club for ten years

230. oz gunner says:

@ GiE

Mourn oh is definitely a character…or a whinging clown is probably a more apt description. Perhaps he’d have more luck if players like hazard, drop a and ivanovic didn’t go down under the slightest of touches all the time.

Very hypocritical when he’s the first to whinge when a penalty decision goes against Chelsea.

Kind of like Rodgers complaining about alexis diving despite sterling clearly cheating by handling the ball to get past szcz. Not to mention Suarez being the worst diver of the lot and he always defended him.

The usual Me-rinho deflection. His players have been proven to cheat so many times this season and the first questionable decision against them (and IMO it was not a penalty) and he comes out with the persecution rubbish.

The Odious One has become delusional.

The reason Alexis got the penalty against QPR was in my opinion due to the way he has conducted himself in the EPL, no histrionics whether fouled or tackled fairly and certainly no apparent willingness to go down. I am just watching today’s MOTD so haven’t seen Santi, but again his willingness to stay on his feet when he scored against (insert name of team I can’t remember here) will work in his favour when he does go down.

I will watch again Cesc from today, he was impeded, accidentally because he slipped, does that make it not a penalty? I honestly don’t knowthe laws of the game, but if you were to apply the same principles refs seemto when players run across a defender if the defender doesn’t break stride and it’s just a collision of legs (Mata for ManUre against Toon) it seems it is not a penalty so in that case I’d say today’s wasnt a penalty but I’d also say it wasn’t a booking either, and Idont believe Anthony Taylor is anywhere close to being good enough to be aPremier League Ref. It’ll be an interesting discussion with aChav supporting cousin tomorrow who is also a qualified ref, he is a Chelsea supporter of many years, but he is also really good at explaining decisions as heroes a lot of courses with his son (a Gooner we converted early).

Heroes = he goes. It’s cold outside.

234. I’m a knot ear – just to let Rasp/Peachy know the match report is in drafts. i’m off to bed now.

Good result – 3 more points at St. Mary’s please.

235. fatgingergooner says:

Tony Gale was the co-commentator on Sky for the Arsenal game.

At West Ham for 10 years!

236. fatgingergooner says:

Mourinho has done nothing but moan since coming back to Chelsea. He’s always complaining about fixtures.

Regarding his comments today, in one breath there is a campaign against his team, in the next the ref is very good and everyone makes mistakes. Make your mind up!

The media love him because he gives them headlines, but sooner or later even they are going to get bored of his constant moaning.

Post-match conference……..Fat Sam can’t believe a perfectly good goal was chalked off just because of a little tunnel ball in front of the keeper.

Snow everywhere. 😦 😦 😦

chas. Great pic of the Allardyce.

Would we have been unhappy with the ref’s decision for the disallowed goal or the penalty had they gone against us? Yet IMO both were correct.

Heard from Kelsey today. He is not at all well but wishes everyone a happy new year.

Happy New Year, kelsey

Another beautiful day here. Frost, sun and blue sky. At least it will be when the sun bothers to get up.

We have a lovely day as well but it snowed heavily last night and as anyone who lives in a large city knows, after a few hours it turns into filthy slush which imbecile drivers think it is funny to shower pedestrians with.

Well, Raddy, it IS quite funny. Ok, not as much fun as driving cyclists off the road, but still fun nonetheless 🙂

Oh alright, not funny then. It’s us hillbillies having nothing better to do.

Crystals ill
    Chas gone Salon
    Raddy snow moving
    Eddie sales
    NB gone bush

What’s the point?

NB gone bush. 😀

Morning all, hope you get better soon Kelsey.

What’s happened to NB69?

Did he pull that teacher and still recovering from the exertion?

no, no, Eddie is here laughing at Maurinho’s rant and watching ManU v Spurs highlights

Keeo your hair on Kelsey!!! Everything will be fine

I watched our highlights last night and thought Coquelin put in some good strong challenges. His passing is decent too so he definitely gives us another option at DM

yesterday was a Sunday of Justice and excellent goalkeeping 🙂

chewing on a wasp :

I must admit I find it difficult to dislike Pochettino, he is such a nice Spud. And a good manager

I don’t 👿

New post ………..

The moment Pochettino signed for the Miscreants he showed his true colours.

Let’s hope they sack him soon so he can be exorcised

255. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all.
    In a better mood this morning, A workman like performance, grasping points back off the leaders, although still squeaky bum time, but the fit players we had out didn’t let us down.
    I counted 3 players offside for Wham’s attempt, no brainer as far as i was concerned. Why have an offside rule if you don’t want it to be used.

3 Players in the penalty box clearly offside and pundits saying Wham were unlucky usually they are given. Clearly then the offside either needs to be scrapped or clearly stated.

Injuries seem to keep players out for a lot longer than they used to be. I find it incredible that players sit on the bench who obviously are not up for the game. When players have a year out injured and are ring rusty why when they are fit not playing in reserves.

Taking nothing away from the performance, from who we had available, they worked tirelessly and got the 3 points. Yes we did come under pressure, and although Czezesney did well between the sticks he did make some bad decisions, now i am not a great fan of his but on the day he did pull off some very nice stop’s so well done Czez.

Arsenal of course it has to be said have had an indifferent kind of season up till now, Not playing as well as i feel we can do, but still scraping results that put us in 5th position. Half the team injured but we are still in the running. I find that Unbelievable. Many teams are dropping points, many managers moaning at decisions, and many referee’s making mistakes, we see in the premier a player who is sent off one day only to have it overturned the next day, we see players who elbow players in the face and get away with it but later get a 3 day ban. surely with 4 officials involved in the game they should see most of the things happening on the pitch.

Anyone who has played this fine game would have gotten away with certain things, of course that doesn’t make it right , but as we say referee’s make mistakes but do we ban refs when they do. If we watch a replay and find that somebody has fouled. and then ban them then why don’t they award goals when it proves that it was a refs mistake.

Judgement after a game that has been played has to be all round, if its missed on the day then it should not be changed.