If Totnum Oil Up, I say we should as well.

There is nothing left of real value about present day Arsenal, other than our history. Owned by overseas cash. Sponsored by absolutely anyone. All sense of good taste, class and style has gone. The ordinary fans don’t matter. The stadium is a temple to corporate. What’s to lose?

The best argument about what’s to lose is Financial, and the self-sustaining model. Utter piffle.

Thing is, I believe financial bubbles and even currencies are going to be collapsing around our ears soon. If not imminently, then certainly inevitably. Will this adversely affect football? Nope. It will be a safer haven than ever, and a growing cash cow.

Reason is, football has not begun to plateau off. Quite the opposite. It will double in size in terms of global revenues, booming across Asia and The US, and the real beneficiaries will be the global elite. Real, Barca, Utd, you know the rest.

City and Chelsea are muscling in on that group ahead of Arsenal. Throw Totnum into the mix and life becomes unbearable.

Or does it? You vote.

Written by MickyDidIt89

173 Responses to If Totnum Oil Up, I say we should as well.

1. arnie says:

nice question, Micky. 🙂 You know my answer but more on that later.

First things first, can we add a poll please. 🙂

2. arnie says:

FIRST, and second as well. 😆

3. I’m trying to add the poll arnie, it’s not working at the moment 😦

4. We have a pole…….. beautifully done:

Yeah Arnie, and you’re wrong 🙂

Just hope this doesn’t descend into a Fair Play “it’ll be alright in the end. The good guys at FIFA or UEFA are coming to save us!”

6. Russian money will come into the club if the Spuds oil up that’s for sure. Why not, ffs, if everyone else is doing it, why should we be left behind 🙂

Art NB? 🙂

8. Yes Micky definitely Art 🙂

It;s no good being the good guys if we lose out on the prizes all the time

9. arnie says:

hmmm, I take all the points discussed and I am listening. 🙂

But, for me overriding everything is one simple axiom, even fact.

We Gooners are not followers. We do not follow the herd. We lead our own way. Even if that way is full of challenges, and even if no one else follows us. We are prepared to go alone,

We are Gooners. We are different. We celebrate this diversity. 😛

Trophies come and go, but class is permanent. 🙂

Most importantly, we do not follow the Spuds. It is the Spuds who remain in our shadow. 🙂

I’m also working on the basis that some of our current funding sources are inevitably from dubiously moral earnings, therefore we could be seen as adopting a high ground that doesn’t exist.

The Totnum thing aside, should the club pull out all the stops to join the elite, or should we plod along?

Arnie,
    I don’t think we are different other than we adopt a low risk strategy. Even this could come back to haunt us. Here’s an example.

We operate at roughly break even. Lose, and possibly permanently CL Football and associated revenues (corporate, sponsorship and tv revenues), and given our fixed debt payments, we would immediately be in negative cash flow.

I’ve said before that we are one or two more oiled up clubs away from being in real trouble.

Spuds being one of them puts a nasty perspective on the situation.

Something to talk about anyway, unless someone else has a rant for the day. All good.

12. arnie says:

Micky, I am enjoying this. Lovely topic to talk about. And a healthy dose of disagreement mixed in as well. 🙂

Arnie
    I know which buttons to press 🙂

14. Right, before I go off to do my ho ho ho thing.

The way I see it, money from super rich countries is now being put into PL clubs, investment, money laundering or whatever. Next it could be the Spuds, after I could imagine Everton getting the oil treatment, then perhaps West Ham and Newcastle. Where will that leave us when we are still celebrating our diversity and difference?

It will come, it’s inevitable, some of us may not like the idea but we will have to accept it if we are to continue supporting the club.

Hey NB
    Good points, and I agree. Big money is finding safe haven harder to find.

More importantly. Santa pics with “Miss”. You promised, and said something about playing your cards right. That’s easy. Women are putty with the right smooth talking. Poor me always works, then wollop, onto the lap she’ll leap. And snap.

16. Shard says:

I voted no, since that would be my default answer, but like with anything it depends. Look at US sports. All owned by billionaires, some of whom die, decide to sell, not finance player salaries/purchases etc, and the clubs go on (some don’t).

At the same time, they have team salary caps, and also maximum and minimum player salaries negotiated between the players’ and owners’ associations, to limit costs and enhance competition. This, despite transfers being non monetary in general, contracts being truly enforceable, and colleges performing the role of academies at no expense to the owners.

Unfettered billionaire access is bad for the game, and potentially hazardous for clubs. Without having a framework to limit expenses, it is dangerous to go for a billionaire owner.

There are also all sorts of owners in football. It isn’t just Abramovich and Mansour. Hull, Arsenal, Aston Villa, Leicester, Liverpool, ManU, Newcastle, QPR, Sunderland, Stoke, Tottenham, Cardiff, can all be said to be owned by a ‘billionaire’, who provide varying levels of ‘investment’ to the clubs. Who knows what sort of owner anyone gets on ‘oiling up’. There aren’t enough billionaires to go around for all clubs. I think it’s a bad idea to go with the trend in this case.

Especially, as football also has examples such as the owner of a betting company allowed to own a club. A TV broadcaster who also runs betting on the game they show. A club owner’s company sponsoring the referees. None of this would be allowed under a properly run system. Without proper regulation, billionaires will destroy the game and some unlucky clubs along with it. Until football wakes up and becomes professionally run, I’d rather Arsenal not join the crowd in this regard. Though it can be argued we’re already at risk with Kroenke as majority shareholder, without getting the reward.

17. stevepalmer1 says:

Nice one Micky,
    I voted yes, as i don’t believe Arsenal care that much about tradition, Arsenal in my mind has always in my mind at least, been English, Started in London and will finish in London, Yes many supporters will tell you about our history, but today that really means nothing at all because we have no Englishness about us.

Owned by an American and a Usbeck Managed by a French man and captained by a Spaniard loaded with Nationalities from all over the world and of course the token English contingent as well, who always seem to be injured.

Now that the Champions League is the most important competition nothing English about football at all forget we invented the game and gave it to the world, Now we find it too difficult to qualify never mind winning it.

Of course what happens at Arsenal shouldn’t make any difference to the National team, but of course should foreign players out number English then less to choose .

Old supporters are dyeing every day ,and the new supporter replaces them, traditions means very little to youngsters Trophies are what they want and Bragging rights as well, Some traditions will never be forgotten no matter who owns runs or buys, and that is that we cheated Tottenham out of the top league when they had earned the honour, That built a tradition that they hate to lose to us and us them, Yes the Great Arsenal Cheated, but a tradition no true Gooner or Spud will ever forget.

Arab Russian American means very little to a supporter, as long as they spend, We happen to be owned by Billionaires who dont like to spend their own money, Yes they say they will, but Haven’t so far.

Remember the days of the British Kite Marks, which told you an item was made in Britain and it was safe to use, well that kite mark has gone and we now have items from China Taiwan India, are these items any better than the British ones, to be quite honest i don’t really know, and i am the same with owners should they spend and bring success just sounds better thats all.

Great comment Shard

You are spot on that we are one of them already.

I’d like to clarify, that when I say Oil Up, I’m referring not just to oil money, but any Individual or Corporation, and I certainly think there are plenty to go around.

The UK is very attractive as we have the most lenient banking regulations (you can read corrupt if you really must) and the UK is a very stable country. It just so happens that a UK Football Club is a great vehicle in which to stick money, as the growth potential is enormous.

I know people like Wenger have said it is unsustainable, but many would argue that’s rubbish, and I’m one.

Football will explode in China and The US.

Steve

I have nothing against the internationalism of the game, and I’m actually pretty happy about our Trophy win rate, it’s the Totnum thing that made me ask myself would I change my own view on our current business model, and yes, it would.

you’ve gotta luv arnie 🙂 “We Gooners are not followers. We do not follow the herd. We lead our own way. Even if that way is full of challenges, and even if no one else follows us. We are prepared to go alone. We are Gooners. We are different. We celebrate this diversity” ha ha ha you old romantic!

WE are no different to any other footballing outfit. We would like to think that we are more classy, but you know it is all bullshit. Look at the fans booing their own team and manager, at the owner who is not exactly an aristocrat or an intellectual, or the players who are generally good guys, but neither better nor worse than other footballers.

You will not get trophies with history, no matter how great it might be. But you will improve your chances of winning with petro dollars.

I voted No too.

21. arnie says:

Thankfully, Shard joined in. Otherwise, it was looking like a lone battle against the herding followers. 🙂

“self-sustaining model. Utter piffle.” Wrong. This is what has made us different, allowed us to punch above our waist, and be one of the best financially managed football clubs, even sports clubs, ever.

The question is how to get the financial side top square up with the sporting side. That is, how to get the profits into football, without losing our principles, traditions and class.

Get a fantastic team to perform well on the field, maintain corporate social responsibility, enhance the academy and produce value for society. IMO, that is certainly not by promoting idolatry, by paying unreasonable premium for mediocre players. But at the same time get good players to play a fantastic game.

This is where we are different, and we will be different. Look at Alexis for a recent example. We do not follow the herd. Period. 🙂

Follow the Spuds. NEVER. In a million years. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Let us celebrate our distinctive character, our differences. 🙂 🙂

I am still ROLFing at the Santa’s lap 🙂

Hiya Shard, nice to see you back 🙂
    completely agree with steve

23. arnie says:

Evonne. “you old romantic” 😆

24. stevepalmer1 says:

Thank you Eddie, been a long time since anybody said that, we were probably made for one another 🙂

25. arnie says:

Micky and Steve. “Big money is finding safe haven harder to find.” In matters of general principle, I agree, even if somewhat reluctantly.

Where I disagree is, this is a bubble! First it was dotcom, then housing, football is one of the next that will collapse. Just wait till China and the US start producing their own clubs.

And then, just wait for the next major innovation. All money will flow there. HERDING makes you second best at best, a soiled knicker. CLASS is permanent! 🙂

26. arnie says:

Unless of course this innovation is in football. However, even then, this will not be delivered by herding, but by trying different things.

steve, thanks but no thanks, I am a lone woolf

micky – my new proper lezzy boots 🙂

28. chas mobile says:

If the Qataris come to buy the spuds we should get them to stall, buy them a cab and get them to buy us instead – Petit- stylee.

Nice post, Micky.

It’s bad enough the chavs pretending they existed before 2004, let alone the swampies doing something similar.

29. chas mobile says:

I was told by an ex-landlord that to stop a demented lesbian in her tracks, you have to punch her in the bristol rovers.

Have you gone for the razor cut, too?

30. arnie says:

Chas, fair enough. We should try and stop the Spuds getting oiled up. How, I do not know. But I can agree with that.

Does not answer Micky’s moot question though.

If the Spuds oiled up, should we follow them? 😛

31. stevepalmer1 says:

Arnie, People was kicking a football when the Mayflower sailed to
    America, did those people that settled there play football, Probably, but they found a game they liked better and as it happens quite a few games, that now the rest of the world are playing.

Traditions only mean something to people, when they relate to them, An English man Loves his Football Cricket and Golf because we invented them, Many Englishmen today are second third or fourth Generation and i am sure they feel differently. Many like our Moslem friends born here brought up here but want to fight wars where their grandparents were born, I cannot by the life of me see how that is English.

Traditions are dyeing in this country because of dilution, you can no longer find an English restaurant let alone think about traditions. Every man should stand the same chance to earn a living or play a sport, i have no problem with that , what i have a problem with is why change something that was Great to something that isn’t.

The country has changed, the religion is changed the people are changed and traditions have changed, whats wrong is owning up and saying i preffered it as it was, that is not Racist although i am sure many would differ

32. arnie says:

Steve. I see where you are coming from. And I have sympathies with that view, and find some contradictions as well. Just like anyone else, and just like you.

“why change something that was Great to something that isn’t”. Yes, agreed.

“whats wrong is owning up and saying i preffered it as it was”, contradicts the above and dont agree.

what is happening in the country is exactly the cycle of history. the people from the former colonies have now come to stay in Britain and behave in exactly the same way as the British did when they went to the colonies. what goes round comes round. but, let us not get there.

“An English man Loves his Football Cricket and Golf”. Yes, but so do many other peoples in the world, and their opinions and ways of life are no less important. 🙂

Still, the British sense of tradition is one of its greatest strengths and need to be preserved. Valuing traditions is one of the ways in which our beloved club is different from the numpties. Long may it continue.

33. Shard says:

Micky

When you say the growth potential is huge, you are talking about long term growth, something very few corporations are concerned with IMO as there are much faster ways of making money rather than parking it long term into a troublesome asset. Even simply keeping it in a bank will pay them more. Football clubs don’t make money, despite football being in its biggest boom phase ever. You can make a bet that this boom will continue virtually indefinitely and you can argue that there is much more room to grow, but even so, what will stop football from losing as much money as it makes?

Both Chelsea and City seem like great examples of owners, but both also have something in common. They were distress sales. A stable club is much more expensive to buy. Abramovich has spent, let’s say, a billion and a half pounds since he bought Chelsea over a decade ago. But he got it for virtually nothing. (Apart from debts) City too were in a financial mess under Shinawatra and Mansour paid Shinawatra around 40m for the sale (while the rest was for clearing debts, so total around 200m).

If Arsenal were to be bought today, someone will have to first pay a billion pounds upfront (basically), before any spending is done to improve the team. This reduces the chances of this happening. Even Usmanov has never said he will simply pay for Arsenal’s player purchases.

I believe this also makes it unlikely that Spurs will be bought and run in the way that Chelsea have been. Liverpool were bought for 300m and although Henry did finance Liverpool’s purchases, it hasn’t been much and it hasn’t been in perpetuity. PSG, the Qatari club, were bought for less than 100m.

The bigger danger will come from lower league clubs, which indeed are being scooped up by foreign investors, looking to make it into the PL and then sell them on. But then how many of them offer the marketing opportunities that states and businesses really value?

I think it is in fact this realisation that most football clubs have decided to back some version of FFP. They know that only a select few of them will ever likely benefit from the largesse of an owner, while most will fall by the wayside. Those who already own clubs also would like to limit expenses rather than get into a straight up contest with richer owners. When Gazidis says football is moving in Arsenal’s direction, I think he’s telling the truth. Regardless of how cynically we view Uefa and the PL.

34. Vintage Gooner says:

I confess to voting No on the poll but I am one of those approaching colouring everything status (sorry SP1 but you must stop popping e’s into dying).

Ironically we are already majority owned by a billionaire who certainly would appear keener to take money out rather than put it in to the extent that it is not even clear whether he has completed purchase of all the shares he contracted to buy! The large minority stake owned by an even bigger billionaire (in every sense) buys him no real involvement at all and his travails in recent weeks underline how transient great chunks of this new wealth can be.

Further it is getting harder and harder to effectively insert huge gas/petrodollars in, although using an American club is interesting – as in buy Frank Lampard and immediately loan him back to a club who would have fallen foul of FFP by acting directly. It even could enable ex-players to cut their teeth in management which may not be completely devoid of interest for us.

However I feel the original post is completely the wrong question for Arsenal. Much more interesting for me would have been encouraging fan pressure for Fanshare even though under FFP this would only allow modest financial input into the club. This might even move me to a post if I weren’t so depressed at the imminent demise of Fanshare.

35. Vintage Gooner says:

I hope I am not picking on SP1 but on “but want to fight wars where their grandparents were born, I cannot by the life of me see how that is English” it should be noted that in the overwhelming majority of instances they are only going back to where the Brits have previously fought wars

Sorry Lads, not avoiding you, just trying to finish work for the week, and it ain’t going quickly

I don’t agree with you 🙂

How much has the value of Arsenal changes since Stan bought it?

Oh Lordy, can’t even write. Back to concentrating on work.

38. Shard says:

“The 2011 takeover bid by Stan Kroenke puts the club’s market capitalisation value at £731m” (wikipedia)

Forbes currently values Arsenal at just over a billion pounds.

Note: (Kroenke had bought some shares earlier at a lower valuation)

39. stevepalmer1 says:

Afternoon Vintage, sorry i can’t spell, terrible when your an Englishman wouldn’t you say. Vintage, Most English people have family that have fought in wars, nothing to be proud about in my mind, but when people were called up to fight for kings or Queens and country, people went willingly because they were told that it was needed.

Today is different, the public now understand a lot more about wars, we realise that wars such as Argentina where the government told us we were going to war because of sovereignty, when really we went because of oil reserves off of the Falklands coast, And the war with Iraq where we were in danger of weapons of mass destruction, where no weapons were found but oil fields were in safe hands.

Things like these, to hard working people is blatant lies and anybody who kills a classroom of children, should be hunted down by that countries authorities and bloody slaughtered, but that is not a job for the British, i see that as none of our business.The rest of the world should be putting pressure on the country in question as a body.

Granted i am no expert on Politics and wars, but from what i have seen Heard and read, it has nothing to do with any of that, this seems a war of religion and although i am not religious I understood that decency to your fellow man was worldwide, obviously i was wrong

40. Shard says:

steve

The British empire, if by dint of nothing else other than its mere existence, has had an impact on much of the politics (and religious politics – for lack of a better term) in the world. You can’t really say it is nothing to do with Britain. In any case, national boundary is a very narrow construct to determine what affects you and what doesn’t.

41. arnie says:

One thing I never quite understood. Maybe Micky and others will help me understand this better.

British industry has not done well for a while now, except for services, particularly finance. Now, we know the state the banks are in. Less said the better.

But my impression was that a major souce of income for rich British people was from shares they hold in companies around the world. Yes, the former colonies, but also literaly all other countries as well.

If football were potentially so profibable in the long run, why is this money not returning back to be invested here. Instead we have teh foreign oligarchs wo are desperate to get their money out of their countries and invest in Britain.

Something does not quite square up! I wonder ….

42. stevepalmer1 says:

Afternoon Shard, As i said i am no expert. Wars in my mind normally happens when one country wants more than what it has, In my mind negotiation should be the way round wars.Whatever another country has is theirs and if they wont share get on with your lives.

My take on life is if you go to live in a different country, learn the Language and their laws and if it suits you and them OK. Personally i am happy here, I can’t spell, but the language suits me 🙂

43. stevepalmer1 says:

Arnie, afternoon mate, Oligarch’s are holding money from their countries, they need safe havens, they in my mind are like banks holding money for when it may be needed. Arabs had loads of oil with desert, not a lot to invest in in their own countries, when the oil runs out they need other businesses, they tried reclaiming land from the sea to make holiday destinations, but there is only so much land you can reclaim, Land is important to them and they have brought lots of land in Britain. Football is a safe business and they need experience to help build the game in their country.

When they are all ready they will all leave.

The Poll is a yes/no choice for something that has already been done. Arsenal in your terms, Micky, are already ‘oiled up’, with no less than two billionaire co/shared owners.

The major difference between Arsenal and say the Chavs is not the ownership, as Usmanov is worth twice what Abramovich is, but is unable to lavish money on Arsenal because Kroenke has his own agenda as regards spending.

The FFP rules have had some effect on transfer spending and profitability, but as I and many others said long ago, the ‘big boys’ would find ways around it, including drumming up dubious sponsorship, or where they have still transgressed, the financial penalty has been just a smack on the wrist to a State owned club, or a slight and meaningless reduction in their CL squad numbers.(Citeh).

45. Vintage Gooner says:

RA it is quite commonly held that the fines levied under FFP are meaningless because obviously the money involved is peanuts to the owners. But I don’t agree with this because it makes achieving FFP in the year the fine is imposed that much harder and the consequence of transgression rapidly escalates through exclusion from transfers to exclusion from the key competitions eg ECL.

Nobody can ignore these penalties.

Perhaps Usamov would like to buy Kroenke’s shares and “metalloinvest us up”.

Did you read that he lost €600m in the rouble crash this week? Chump change to the Big Man

47. arnie says:

Thanks, Steve. If that is true, then it confirms that the EPL is not such a fantastic investment opportunity that Micky (and the FA) would make it out to be. The Sheikhs are in readiness to pull their money out. 🙂

That explains why the English gentlemen and ladies pull their money out. Shares in Arsenal were sold by the trustees, was it not! And likewise it would explain why nobody other than those of dubious sources would invest in the EPL.

Even the likes of Beckham or their English hero Hamilton, who by the way does not pay a single pound of tax in this country, would not invest here. But rather make investments elsewhere.

If I were an adviser to our favourite club, I would advise them to stay away.

arnie,

As usual, I do not always follow your logic, when it comes to football matters. 🙂

‘Class’ is an attribute taken to mean something of quality, but I fail to see how that matters in a football business – and that is what Arsenal are at the sharp end, i.e. the owners and the management, and when reference is made to a classy club, it singularly ignores the fans, who are in any case made up of disparate individuals with varying standards of behaviour and expectation.

As a young man, I did not become a fan because Arsenal were ‘classy’ or ‘diverse’ whatever that means in this context, no, I became a fan for many reasons, but first and foremost it was because they played attractive and appealing football; had some wonderful players, whom I idolised: and the teams won trophies.

In any event, class is a very subjective attribute, and, of course Arsenal had their own very dubious owner, who certainly could not be deemed to be ‘classy’, and was kicked out of football for his wrongdoing, long before the current crop of billionaire owners saw ‘the main chance’ which lay in taking over football clubs.
    I am referring, of course, to the early 1900s when that naughty man Sir Henry Norris weaved his web — classy? I think not.

This particular Gooner is not interested in all the adjectives you used earlier, but he just wants, in his simplistic way, the team to win trophies – and to watch them play attractive football – not necessarily in that order!

From what you have said earlier, that is not a difference of opinion between us — it’s more a difference of attitude — I love the managers and the players who have represented the Arsenal over the years that I have been a fan – and I don’t really give a toss for any of the transient owners, who are only primarily interested in their investment.

Glad to see you are back, Shard, by the way. 🙂

49. arnie says:

That poll is even closer than the Bottish Referendum! 😆

50. arnie says:

That is perhaps for another day, Redders. Be that as it may. The question asked is very simple.

Whether we would want our club to follow the Spuds and be oiled up in teh same way! 😛 And for the record, I do not support a club for trophies. I would like them to have other values and traditions, including not least the way they play, or try to play, and teh way they develop (or try to develop) young players.

Oiling up cuts against this principle, because the objective is to win, make a quick buck, and feck off. Not for me, thanks. 😛

51. Evonne

Those new DM’s look too new………… you need to piss on them to dull the shine 🙂

I’ll come back later, Santa is fucking knackered, 8 classes of 3/4 year olds, with about 15 in each class….. but I got on well with the teachers ho ho ho……….. time to go out for a drink.

That’s fine, (no pun intended) Vintage, if you want to believe that.

Abu Dhabi owned Man Citeh were hit by a suspended fine of a few million pounds, after the owners have poured in £1,000,000,000 (that’s one thousand million pounds) and even more in sponsorship, and in the meantime have now invested a further £350,000,000 in Real Madrid.

I suspect we have different ideas about what a ‘meaningless fine’ means to these very wealthy owners.

53. arnie, so you didn’t enjoy winning the FA Cup last season? you would have preferred we played beautiful football and won nuffink 🙂

54. arnie says:

NorthBank. You know what I mean. ceteris paribus. 😛

55. Don’t you fucking swear at me 🙂

56. Look I’ve got to go out… I shouldn’t have made the comment, knowing that I was gonna bugger off…. talk later 🙂

arnie,

That was not the question actually, and I addressed the Post separately at 3:33 when I said the yes/no question was a bit redundant. 🙂

No, at 4:22 p.m. I was responding to your personal comments, particularly as regards ‘class’, and my rather differing attitudes to the meaning of support..

We probably should draw a line there, as I do not understand what you mean by your latest comment regarding ‘following the Spuds’.
    I never said we should – and Spurs have not yet sold their club to oligarchs, so we cannot ‘follow’ them in that sense.

My 3:33 makes it clear that we are already ‘oiled’ up -without the outrageous spending – so I have nothing to add to that, other than to reiterate that on that basis we have only ‘followed’ Citeh, the Chavs and PSG etc. 🙂

Since when did Dr Martens have side zips? And purple?

Lezzer-wear.

Blimey. Excellent comments and cannot possibly go through everything. One of my favourite subjects, and best done down the boozer.

Steve
    “The Sheikhs are in readiness to pull their money out”. This is so far from the truth. And go back to where? Saudi? The whole region is increasingly volatile and they cannot get their cash out fast enough.

And the UK is probably the most accommodating destination on earth for them for many reasons.

60. The Cockie Monster says:

A lot of long winded answers !….I`ll keep it short …………..yes ! yes ! yes !.

I feel as though this is part my post as I did comment about the Spuds/Qatar rumour !. I`ll take 50% of the takings, Micky !. hahaha

61. Glic says:

Yes ! Yes ! Yes !.

Eddie
    The DM’s?!!!!!
    Please don’t tell me you’ve cut your hair short and stopped shaving, plucking and general maintenance 😦

63. jnyc says:

I’d feel safer with Usmanov, knowing that he could invest to keep up with the big money clubs if necessary. Rich as kroenke is, I don’t think he would want to get in a spending battle.
    I’m satisfied that he has let us spend enough lately, which I want sure of before. But imagine our sustainable model without Arsene and a few years without Champions League. And possibly rich spuds with a shiny new stadium.
    Scary thought. Then we would all wish for sugar daddy owners.

RA
    Fair point about us already being oiled up.

Arnie
    Risk portfolio. You know all this, but when you’re talking about the English, you’re talking up to and around say £100m. Standard. 4 ways. Gold, Art, Land/property, Investments.

When you are from a dodgy or volatile country (middle east, Russia for example) and with perhaps dubiously derived loot totalling the billions, it’s a whole different ball game. Different rules.

I do not think Usmanov is solely interested in profit. His loot is safe, and so is his status in the uk

Come on Eddie 🙂

Cockie

You are more than welcome to claim 100% discredit for this post 🙂

Glicster,

How lovely to see you. 🙂

Keep your eye on that evil Cockie Monster (not literally – you comprende?) he and Northbank bring only opprobrium to the site — don’t worry, unlike you, he will not understand that word. 🙂

Where is the terrible Terry and VCC? Probably doing their joint strip-tease!

68. The Cockie Monster says:

Thing is !……it`s all well being already “oiled up” and us abiding by FFP the same as Mansour City etc`, but !…..having one mega rich owner, they ( Mansour City ) can build a training complex that is akin to a mini city and have a plan B for making the stars of the future with no worry about FFP as they can spend as much as they like ( which they have done ! ) on youth etc`……that wont happen with us with a semi split ownership !…….and even if Kroenke was the one owner, he wouldn`t spend what Mansour has spent on City as he`s quite happy to have an average well run club, just look at his other sporting interests if you don’t believe me !.
    If Dennis forbid !….the Qataris were to completely buy up N17….Lock, Stocking and a burnt out High Street !….. then they will more than likely follow Mansours lead than our cute little self-sustainability model !.

69. The Cockie Monster says:

hahaha Redders….two seconds to look it ( opprobrium ) up and you`re correct !. 😀

SURFING ON

And they will probably finish the whole competition and crown World Champion tonight.

Chas, cancel the drinking

71. The Cockie Monster says:

Being blue and furry, I take my board out and do some Smurfing !………you ever tried to swim in a furry suit ?……fcuking hard !…..my wife bought it for me and regularly reads the will whilst I`m Smurfing, encouraging me with….” You`ll be alright, swim out further ! “. hahaha

my comments are missing 😦

Certainly the biggest single day in the history of surfing with 5 rounds to be completed in one day.
    I won’t bore you anymore, but if anyone is bored, here’s the link

oh, I’m back in 🙂
    micky – no, I am still washing, shaving, etc (reluctantly I must add). I just want to look mean, hence the DMs and half pitbull – nobody is going to feck about with me now!

This and wanting to be trendy, many celebs wear DMs. Sadly most of them are young with slim long legs 😦

If we got oiled up would the club spend more than we do already?

We have bought two very expensive 1st teamers and a number of players in the mildly-expensive-but-too-much-for-Stoke range.

Question is, would Chavs or MC have bought Debuchy as their first choice? Unlikely.

Eddie. Don’t fool yourself. DM’s are winter lezzer-wear unless you are a model.

Just as Crocs are lezzer-wear in summer

I have read all the comments and not being either an accountant or economist but purely an Arsenal fan, I want the best for my club, and being competitive used to be a bonus,now for the top clubs its a necessity.

I am no lover of Kroenke or the way he runs his various clubs .Has he actually invested money on the playing field, I think not, it is all done by sponsorship (which we originally sold short to the Emirates )attendances especially corporate and for Kroenke to expandworld wide recognition of the club .
    We have to pay off the stadium until 2031,pay earlier then there is some sort of surcharge.

Of course if Spurs and/or other clubs were bought by the Quataris one has to remember that be it 4,5,6,7 super rich clubs, only one club can win the PL or the CL.
    Will players keep moving to clubs “with ambition” every season, of course always for more money.

We have to move with the times,,though having such a huge influence at the club, AW wouldn’t welcome it,but for me Kroenke is not the right man, but I do not know who is.

Remember Abramovich’s first choice to buy was Spurs.

78. arnie says:

evens stevens after 58 votes. 🙂

79. arnie says:

Micky. enjoying the show as well. 🙂

Flying out of the backdoor!

81. poigmothoin says:

arnie, did Cockie and Glic vote? Shades of another dodgy poll ha ha. Perhaps I should cast the decider.

Raddy – I know exactly what you are doing. Calling me a lezzer is your way out of the marriage proposal! I will not work, sorry 🙂

kissMeArse!

Kels, you are probably right. It might be hard to swallow at first, but once the financial benefits kick in, we will all forget its greasy origins. Everything these days is about money, makes me quiet sick

Mind you, be careful what you wish for! Lets not forget the chicken owners (can’t remember the name) or the Cardiff nutter. Bloody hell, I half scared myself to death now!!!

enjoying it arnie and chas?

could be all over soon if fanning doesn’t find a wave

if fanning doesn’t find a wave – what does that mean?

86. poigmothoin says:

Eddie is that an offer?

Enjoying the sea and the surfing, yes.
    Seems like a foregone conclusion, then again, it’s bound to be like that as I haven’t seen the rest of the season. 🙂

yessssssssss

Hold the phone!

no, kissMyArse, it is not an offer it is your name 🙂

Fanning found a wave, Eddie.

chas
    medina favourite yes, but certainly not foregone
    fanning more than capable of winning and anyone can have a heat where you just don’t get the waves

A perfect backdoor – sounds like something NB69 would say.

right, be like that. Good night.

Don’t be like that, Edwina.

There is a surfer called Mick Fanning and he was out if he didn’t pick the right wave.
    He did find the right one and he’s still in it.

poor eddie
    that was your fault chas calling her a perfect backdoor

here’s the main man

I’ve never been afraid of going for some of those huge backside barrels.

oh ok, I’ll stay a bit longer 🙂 So is fanning winning now?

I wrote a post for tomorrow, but it seems it has already been discussed here when I was sulking. Never mind.

101. arnie says:

lovely surf. 🙂 🙂 🙂

102. arnie says:

Arsenal striker Yaya Sanogo to leave Arsenal on loan. (Source: Beebs)

Fanning is coming up on the stand-side rail.

eddie
    its between two guys now
    medina 20 yr old Brazilian. would be their first ever champion
    and aussie nick fanning. already three times champ
    the guy in the water now is the daddy. slater.11 times world champ

no, I don’t want to know. I have enough unusual hobbies

Do we want Medina to win? Who’s better looking?

Fanning

nope, I prefer blondes 🙂 I really have to go now, the She Devil is coming over tomorrow and I am still not ready. Night guys

medina after all. Fanning doesn’t look too clever

Just for you Eddie, I hope you think it’s funny and I don’t get a clip round the ear – or a kick up the Arsenal.

A Polish immigrant went to the DMV to apply for a driver’s license.
    First, of course, he had to take an eye sight test.
    The optician showed him a card with the letters
    ‘C Z W I X N O S T A C Z.’
    ‘Can you read this?’ the optician asked.
    Read it?’ the Polish guy replied, ‘I know the guy.’

Eddie, get your mam on here tomorrow, she’ll love it.

Talk about a last minute winner.

Similar.

just looked at the poll

arnie has voted 31 times
    snake 🙂

Never expected to enjoy a surfing competition as I know absolutely nothing about it but this is great.

Interesting listening to Slater relating what he did wrong.

Oscar says hi radddy

and he say hi to chas if youre still there

can one of you tell him to stop moaning about the water temp here and also that no, we are not moving to hawaii

117. arnie says:

Micky. good campaign, though. 🙂

even if many ridicule my view and position, they strike a chord with Gooners. So, hey ho, keep on slagging me. 🙂

is Redders listening? 😛

Evening all, the first question is ask is what is the upside for an Investor in the English PL at this stage.

2 already oiled and one commercial behemoth, swiftly followed by us, then Liverpool then the rest.

Now if Spuds do jump into the oil, will they become chips, or the scrag bag at the end of the night, and once there are 4 where would be the benefit of becoming the 5th? Our opportunity will be missed.

The Mansours model is one of brand awareness and advertising, that brand being their homeland, and aeroplanes. They chose a PL club with good fanbase and untapped potential in an area of the country that any investment in community would be a good PR move.

They are still operating a model, slightly different to ours but a model with an end goal nonetheless, their investment in other clubs worldwide shows their intent. They clearly see football as a big draw and the money they spend on players is all part of the advertising campaign.

So as we all know there are three guaranteed CL spots, once United exorcise their demons it is likely they City and Chelsea will consistently take the top 3 spots, that is of course assuming money spent dictates league position.

Once those three spots are tied up is there room for a 4th, 5th and 6th oligarch club?

Surely at that point we are back to square one? And the exercise would have been pointless.

If I was a wealthy man looking to boost my brand I think I wouldn’t be looking at the EPL, however if the ownership rules changed in Germany I could see that being a huge potential, or possibly Italy or Portugal, imagine being the man to get Benfica to a Champions League Final again.

Sadly it is the way of the world and to be honest I think If we end up with 4/5 financial big spenders in the League we could see a further slide in attendances and interests. I personally think the football bubble is reaching breaking point, but maybe that’s me hoping we may one day return to a more level playing field where at the start of the season anyone can win the league if they build the right team and the right system.

119. arnie says:

is the surf not on? 😦

120. arnie says:

top comment, GiE. 🙂

its on
    the site crashed
    now back but in Brazilian
    ah ha English

great comment exile

I never slagged you arnie
    and remember, part of me is always part the advocate of the devil 🙂

however, I genuinely don’t believe the foorball bubble is anywhere near bursting. on the contrary, like the world, the rich will get richer.

dont like it but…..

sorry, on matchday laptop. goo one plugge in to telly

surfing

that’s it

medina is champion

brazil will be a wild place tonight. they say he’ll be as big as senna

nite

124. arnie says:

lovely stuff, Micky. 🙂

I know you never slagged me. 🙂

125. Good morning girls 🙂
    I see surfing has borrowed one of my terms, backdoor 🙂

Evonne
    Fat legs with DM’s = lesbo
    Thin legs with DM’s = sexy

Legs always look better with short boots not knee high boots, here’s an example with one of my favorites, Fearne Cotton:

126. This is just so totally wrong for the DM look ha ha:

128. Morning Chas

Are you not going to post the ‘perfect back door’ on here 🙂

129. Football news must be slow:

“Japanese striker Kazuyoshi Miura has signed a new one-year deal with J League second division club Yokohama FC – at the age of 47.”

130. Eddies Mam recently on a march 🙂

oh dear nb, it seems that I should have bought the DMs some 30 years ago. At least I was blond and thin then. Now I have more in common with the fat girl – brown hair, glasses, few extra pounds. If they were not so comfy for dog walking I would return them

ha ha ha ha and that’s all you got for pretending to be a good guy 🙂 No leg over then 🙂

Did Fanning win?

133. Morning Evonne

I’m sure you look lovely in them…. but ditch the blue jogging pants 🙂

serious hat on – micky and arnie – if/when the financial/money bubble bursts (I am convinced that it will) will properties value tumble?

Gie – that is hilarious ” if Spuds do jump into the oil, will they become chips, or the scrag bag ” 🙂 🙂

Good point about only 4 top spots; lets assume that Spuds do jump into the oil and take the 4th spot. What will the moaners do, whom will they blame? Surely even they will be able to grasp the fact that we cannot compete with the newly rich?

NB. How did you get the pillow to stay under your shirt?

137. ha ha Raddy

That’s not a pillow…. it’s a wine mountain 🙂

138. But seriously, it was a great afternoon, the kids were brilliant, one little girl had obviously met a false Santa before, and kept trying to pull my beard off ha ha. I had to visit 8 classes with an average of 15-20 kids in each class. Afterwards I stayed to drink some wine with the teachers, all female lovely jubbly ho ho ho 🙂

she’s nice 🙂 good luck!

Oui, bon chance. A christmas cracker.

I love the karma of L’pool’s failed attempt to sign Sanchez as a replacement for the Suarez whom they refused to sell to us 🙂

141. merci mes amis, mais il y a pas du chance dans cette vie 🙂

142. You’re right Raddy, the irony in the Sanchez/Suarez thing is karma 🙂

143. I love Robot Chicken:

144. Question of the day: Does Micky like to use his longboard on the perfect backdoor? 🙂

145. Looks like I’m on my own…. nevermind, I’ll just have another glass of wine 🙂

146. ha ha NB69

Nothing like a little batner with oneself 🙂

147. NB69

Do you really drink wine at 8:47 in the morning?

Where are the morning crew?

Mobile phone, tablet, laptop, iMac, TV.. I have spent this year trying to get them to communicate with each other so my life would be enriched (!). Pissed a load of money on it which would have been better spent on wine, women and song, and what for? Sweet FA.

Next year I will learn bridge and spend less time on tech which I don’t understand and frustrates me.

End of Saturday rant.

149. No nb

It’s 9:47 here so not too early. And the sun is shining, it’s a beautiful day and a football weekend…. I loved the photo of the fat bird with DM’s 🙂

150. I’m here Raddy……….. fecking talking to meself I am mate

151. always better to spend money on wine women and song, you can’t take your tablette, TV and i phone with you when you finally go, so better to have some nice memories 🙂

152. Women are like i phones, you have to touch them all over before they respond 🙂

153. “Women are like i phones, you have to touch them all over before they respond”

ha ha ha NB69………. so true

154. NB69

I think we are missing some Rack of the Day………. Chas has bottled it so it’s up to you mate….

155. Ok Pussy of the day coming up…..

156. excellent NB………. that is so cuuuttte

157. Ok lets get into some technical football bollix:

‘against the run of play‘

158. NB you are a funny bastard…. that Cockie thinks he’s a comedian but you are the best 🙂

159. Cockie is just a demented deranged disillusioned perverted bastard, you should see what he posts on my blog sometimes… sick he is, bloody sick 🙂

Morning all …..

…… New post …….

161. NB69…. perhaps we should pay a visit to our psychiatrist… I think the medication isn’t having the desired affect. NB, are you there?

Love that pussy pic. 🙂