Champions League – here come the Gooners!

Let us be honest, the ride in the Champions League has not been smooth for the good guys. Not in previous years, neither this year. If the away game against Anderlecht was embarassing, letting a 3-0 lead against Anderlecht to vanish into oblivion though a combination of refereeing ineptitude and shabolic defending, was simply painful. And with that went the possibility of topping the group for the first time in a zillion years.Nevertheless, every cloud has its silver lining. So, we are back, boosted by two fantastic wins, against Dortmund at home and Galatasaray away in the furthest east one can imagine. Well, I am a firm believer that LUCK eventually evens out, at least in the long run when, a la one John Maynard Keynes, we are all dead.
001
We Gooners awaited our fate in the CL draw lottery with trepidition, and hey ho! Arsenal draw Monaco, bring about a tryst with Arsene’s past, and a very winnable tie. Together with two of our four strong teams assured of dropping out – Chelsea or PSG, Man City or Barcelona – the quarterfinal draw looks tasty as well. Plus, there are two other qualifiers that look very tasty indeed: Basel or Porto, and Juventus or Borussia Dortmund.

To be fair, having a focus on a unique brand of nifty tiki-taka, the Champions League really has to be our final horizon. The EPL is focussed on an ugly combination of rugby and football, aided by officials turning a blind eye on blatant anti-football. Our good guys will never be sufficiently protected against the goons that proliferate the English League.

We have the skills and the resilience to be successful in Europe, as our record shows. How many times have we qualified consecutively for the knock out stage? How many QFs, SFs and Final? On those counts, we are surely up there with the best of the best. But we have not won yet.

This is our final frontier. Yes, we can. But, AAers, is this our time?

Β

Arnie.

237 Responses to Champions League – here come the Gooners!

1. Lovely arnie…. and the final is in Berlin isn’t it? That would be a nice trip as well.

I think we can do it, as you say, a little bit of luck we’ve had for the 16’s, and a little bit of luck for the next round, leaves SF against perhaps Dortmund and final against PSG ha ha

But luck doesn’t exist in football πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Fine work arnie.

I don’t think we can do it. IMO the CL is a chance for financial gain and a little short term glory.

Getting out of the group allows us to earn enough money to be the 4th richest club in the PL and thus gives an enormous boost to our chances of continuing to get 4th place and CL qualification.

Are we as good as Chelsea, Bayern, RM or Barca? You know the answer.

In order to win Big Ears we will need an enormous and lengthy run of luck – not dissimilar to MU in their triple year.

Thanks arnie, a topical question for sure. I hope you don’t mind me adding the poll ….. I put the bit about luck in there to keep everyone happy πŸ˜€

4. arnie says:

Thank you, Rasp. Brilliant piece of innovation! πŸ™‚

NorthBank and Raddy. cannot really disagree, but let me think a bit more. πŸ˜›

5. stevepalmer1 says:

Mornin all,
    Nice one Arn, I gave my comment yesterday on CL, but I am intrigued by the Arabs wantin to buy a football clud. Surely with an owner who only wants to tick over and make a small profit , surly ours is the best club to bid on, even the stadium is finished and has an Arab name, Surly they have to bid

good question arnie and only one right answer – of course we can! There were many other lesser teams that took the trophy, why shouldn’t we? Remember Chavs a few years ago?

7. The Cockie Monster says:

At this moment in time, I`m one of the Magnificent Seven in the voting !……More chance of Jimmy Savile becoming Saint Savile of the NSPCC !.

8. You’re just a frigging doomer Cockie……… one blog suggesting that the Arabs are gonna buy the Spuds and already you’re thinking that we will be in their shadow πŸ™‚

Nice one Arnie

Winning the CL is all about luck for clubs like Arsenal whose owners wish the books to balance.

10. The Cockie Monster says:

I`m with Micky, `69er !……Uzzy in before it happens !.
    Mansour City used to be in Manshafters shadow before the UAE bought them.
    If it did happen, it can only benefit them to the detriment of us !. Lets hope it`s just a shit rumour !.

11. The Cockie Monster says:

Mind you !……even with their mult-millions, the Chavs were incredibly fortunate to win the CL…was it fate or luck ?…….down to ten men versus Barca ( the best team in the world at the time ) away in the semi and losing 2-0…..Messi hits the bar with a penalty…….Barca 73% possession !……and they come back to 2-2 !……………..wish we were that fortunate !.

12. arnie says:

Thanks everyone, keep em coming.

LB. Yes, I firmly believe that LUCK goes around and evens out in the long run. So, it has to come sometime. The moot questionis: Will we be dead by then? or is this the year! πŸ˜›

13. arnie says:

Steve, Cockie. The trend is there for all to see.

There are very few profitable or even break-even investment opportunities in the world. Dotcom is gone, housing is gone. The small number of people who are making money need places to park them. The Abramovitches and Sheikhs of the world.

The Stans and Usmanovs of the world are all in that league. At least, SK does not interfere. If that day comes, it will be sad. But also, the bubble will burst at some point. That will be even sadder. 😦

14. arnie says:

Evonne. Yes, I do remember Chavs a few years ago. The thought of us doing it keeps me salivating! πŸ˜›

15. The Cockie Monster says:

Damn !….someone else has voted !…I`m now one of the Naughty Nine !. hahaha

16. arnie says:

Cockie. This is a comment from a long time back. Sad that this is what it takes to justify someone as a Sky pundit. 😦

Cheers arnie

Of course we will win it.

I am fed up and sickened by those who use logic to come to unsavoury conclusions. I gave up on such nonsense years ago, and now only listen to my groin, and my unfortunately often flaccid member says we will win it, and we will.

Proof of groin power arnie came several years ago when I was summoned to court to fight off false accusations that I had unsolicited relations with a 60 inch Panasonic television.

My defence was that I was an advocate of penis intelligence, and that had only gained entry to said TV to explore its functionality.

The trial did not start well, the Judge sending me down for contempt, just for innocently consulting my member on a technical point of law.

After agreeing to keep it hidden, the prosecutor, a vile man who was obviously suffering from member impotency thus reinforcing his hatred, gave a recount on how I had entered the John Lewis store and proceeded to grind a mannequin suited dummy before approaching the electrical section were by I then entered the Television set.

As he spelled out his argument, I realised the case was going against me, the jurors squirming in there seats and the judge peering at me with loathsome fascination.

I needed to know what the judge was thinking so in a final throw of the die I yelled out “Your Honour, in my defence I would like to remove my trousers and ascertain your thoughts through rear entry”

He gave me the maximum sentence arnie, but whilst been led down I did manage to remove my trousers and give the court a right bashing.

18. arnie says:

Just because we cannot get tired of this. πŸ™‚

19. The Cockie Monster says:

Sorry Arnie, but I`m on my way to the Emirates with a 250cc Kawasaki engine metal disc cutter….nice of `69er to lend me the engine from his strap-on !. hahaha

20. arnie says:

ha ha ha, Terry. πŸ™‚ just fantastic! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ now I know what a diehard Gooner is all about! πŸ™‚

Arnie,

You pose a bit of a conundrum.

We can beat any team on our day and conversly lose to any team.

Over two legs, that is a different story because of the away goals rule.

If we shore up our defence we have enough fire power to score and by February hopefully players will be fighting for their place.

I think that with a bit of luck and a greatly reduced amount of injuries that we have a chance, small, but a chance..

22. GΓΆΓΆner In Exile says:

Well done Arnie…an entertaining read.

I have answered with luck, but perhaps it should really read “if everything goes our way” as we know luck doesn’t exist πŸ˜‰

What are those things:

1) Fitness to key players
    2) the draw, yes we will have to beat the best to win it, if we can leave that to a one off game in Berlin it would be better.
    3) rub of the refereeing decisions.

The difference between us and Chavs, we can’t play anti football as well as they can and did a couple of years back.

But with only 7 games and (only needing 4 wins) to be victorious it’s a lot more achievable than a league title assault this season.

Caveat …….

I listed luck in the poll – and has proved to be the most popular answer thus far.

I have never at any time said that luck does not exist – of course it does. It was lucky that we drew Monaco in the next round – Bayern would have been unlucky – the luck of the draw!

What I did say was that it was not good to blame poor performances on luck or to apply the term ‘luck’ to anything which can be altered by human beings …. to wit … the famous Arnold Palmer phrase,”The harder I practice, the luckier I get” πŸ˜›

24. wally says:

To those who voted yes, can you hook me up with whomever or whatever it is that you’re smoking, drinking, injecting or ingesting? There are times and places where that may come in handy! πŸ™‚

Wally …. remember when the chavs won? No-one fancied them. They got through the early stages by the seat of their pants and were definitely far from the best side in the competition, but each time they got through a round their confidence grew. If your name’s on the cup – its on the cup. Admittedly we don’t play the percentages, shut-up-shop football displayed by the chavs – but never say never πŸ™‚

26. ‘afternoon all, an excellent post Arnie,

I think it all depends on the up-coming transfer window.

Currently we have too many key players out through long-term injuries. A bit of judicious trading in January could see us in a much better position. What I don’t want to see is the purchase of some fifteen year old Norwegian prospect rather than an experienced centre-back.

27. “If your name’s on the cup – its on the cup”. So, Rasp you believe in both luck and destiny. πŸ˜€

28. I can’t see why some fans don’t believe that we can win the CL…. given the right circumstances, a favourable draw, having the right players fit at the right time and playing the way we know they can, then anything is possible. Perhaps this season our name is on the cup. If we’re lucky that is! πŸ™‚

29. arnie says:

Agreed, NorthBank. I did mention LUCK in the post, saying that it evens out in the long run. In principle. Most of us believe, to greater degree or less, that we have been somewhat unlucky more often than not.

All the more reason then to believe that it can even out now! πŸ˜›

30. Luck and bad luck has played a major role in how my life has developed over the years. From the day I was born without a silver spoon to later when I got several opportunities to make good. But then I got unlucky and fell back down again. Just goes to show that destiny has a weird sense of humour but ultimately, you can’t put a flower in an arsehole and call it a vase!

You mean…you got caught 69. hahaha

32. NB, A bouquet from an arsehole is just another name for a fart.

33. JM says:

Answer:

(1) It depends on how much Arsene Wenger and our players want to win the Champions League this season.

(2) It also depends on what are the proactive actions (louder than words spoken to the media) that they are willing to take and sacrifice(s) to make in order to win it.

(3) No bullshitting around by our manager and players, go for the jugular against every opponent (weak or strong). 7 more matches against 4 more teams, starting with Monaco next.

Similar to how Germany won the World Cup 2014 on South America soil this year against every possible odds (including the 7-1 demolition of host Brazil in SF).

NB 2.25 and Terry.1.07. That is twice today a comment has made me burst out laughing.

35. Wouldn’t it be great though, in the season where a banner was unfurled telling Wenger it was time to go, and fans booing him at Stoke that we then went on to win the CL……… that would be my dream and I’ve written to Santa asking for that for Christmas.

NG
    My farts smell sweet mate, I bought a years supply of those pills invented by a Frenchman that make your farts smell of roses and chocolate πŸ™‚

36. Transplant @2:26pm

I was proper stitched up mate! πŸ™‚

Terry at 1:07 – it just amazes me how you can create these wonderful story jokes, you should become a stand up comedian or would that be out-standing – well at least you would remain erect,.

38. poigmothoin says:

Nice one arnie, isn’t luck the just reward of skill? Of course its possible to win, because we are still in it, but is it realistic?

39. GN5

More like upstanding πŸ™‚

40. wally says:

That we ‘could’ win it would indeed be magical.

I think it’s as likely as OJ finding his wife’s killer.

And as a betting man i’d be happy to take arnie’s, NB’s, Terry’s, GIE’s and anyone else’s bets on that occurrence this year.

41. wally

Raddy will bet you a Danish sandwich πŸ™‚

42. stevepalmer1 says:

Many people are concerned with our injury record, can we win anything while players are going down like nine pins, All i can say to that is that while some are getting injured others are coming back, Of course Wenger and the medical staff are searching for reasons why our players drop like fly’s but they will not find, that it is medical.

Watching many many teams in the premier, year after year, has convinced me that officials are to blame, inconsistent decisions, from one game to another is there for all to see, Arsenal is not a club known for tackling in actual fact over the last few years they have been pathetic in marking tackling and actually fighting back. But after watching many games where our lightweight players have been floored all over the field without very often even a foul given, and we make our first tackle and a yellow card is produced.

I have noticed that when the top teams normally play the lesser side often get 2 or 3 cards in the first half, i often wonder if the result is not going a certain way then a lame tackle will reduce a team to ten quite easily, Many’s the time an offside goal which is clear to every body in the stadium, is not seen by the 4 officials, Penalties also seem to come along when needed.

To win Champions League we need the officials on our side, we also need them on board for the Premier League, but when most are from up |North they go blind when travelling South.

Trophies either come by way of deceit, or a team that play special football , Arsenal have the players we can play special football, but as has been seen in the past, the officials need to play fair.

arnie,

A Post to delight.

I voted ‘no chance’.
    To vote ‘yes’ is simply wishful thinking.
    To vote a qualified ‘yes – with luck’ is a bit of a cop out, because if we get stuffed there is already the get out that luck was not with us. If we win it will be ‘I told you so’, when clearly those voting with the ephemeral ‘luck’ caveat would have done no such thing.

Do not misunderstand me, it is axiomatic of all decent fans that they want their idols to win, or to invoke luck as an unknowable ingredient in doing so, which I suppose raises a question mark about me and my ‘No’ vote. Yikes! πŸ™‚

steve. The standard of refereeing this season (at least at AFC games) has been dreadful.

RA. Only you would use “axiomatic”. I wish I could!

46. The Cockie Monster says:

One for the ladies !. The Pod !.

Cheers, arnie.

I voted ‘yes, with a fair wind’, which is not a cop-out at all as everyone knows you need some luck to win any cup competition. πŸ™‚

Using luck as an excuse for every defeat is a cop-out, but denying it plays a part is sheer bloody-mindedness. πŸ™‚

(Tiny Raddish * 10) πŸ™‚

The standard of refereeing has been appalling, again, this season, and I must admit that they are poor elsewhere too.

My man Shard will tell you this poor officiating is endemic in the Premier League, and he is correct.

He would also rail against fans simply having a polite moan about it but doing little else, and again he is correct, but the fact that refs do not (or are not allowed to) engage with the fans, or the media, after a game to explain their decisions also means that, as a corollary, neither do they have to face the outrage of fans who feel cheated by the idiotic and incomprehensible decisions that have badly affected their teams.

[When will we get to hear your Xmas song, may I ask? I would not want to miss that!] πŸ™‚

I never denied luck plays a part and I didn’t resurrect the debate. It is not lucky if a team does not concede in a game if it has been practicing defence all week – that’s down to planning and hard work. A team can be unlucky in many ways -for instance, if an opponent handles the ball and it is missed by the lino and the assistant because their view is impaired. I have never denied that luck plays a part just refuted the suggestion that when we have been comprehensively beaten and defended appallingly that the word luck should spring to mind.

50. arnie says:

some absolutely lovely responses to return to. πŸ™‚ thank you all.

GN5. when I first started on AA, I used to put a note along each name predicting what they would be doing in real life. Against Terry, I had written “comedian”. πŸ™‚ yes, I was wrong, but Terry would make a brilliant comedian.

I also used to write down “predicted” ages, and this got me in trouble with Redders and the Rockman. πŸ˜›

Nevertheless, I am prediction man, even if I have never placed a bet in my life. An informed guess is how I see a prediction. I even saw tremendous value in TT’s poll bollix.

In that spirit, I too voted for a YES today. We can. Sure we can.

Will we? Now, that raises uncertainties which will only be resolved in the fullness of time. Sure if we get our fair share of referees doing their jobs properly, our chances increase. That tells me we deserve it more than some other numpties.

Then again, as Raddy said, on their current strength, some teams perhaps deserve it more than us. But in terms of consistent performance in the CL over many years, I think we deserve it as much as anyone else.

The odds are still stacked high against us, but as GiE says, it is only 7 games, of which we will have to win 4 and draw the other 3. If we can do this, and choose the right ones to win, we will be there.

COYG. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Chas,

Trust you to bring ‘wind’ into this – was it hearing about NB’s chocolate and Raspberry (?) farts. Quite apposite in the circumstances. πŸ™‚

Actually, ‘luck’ can be used as either a noun or a verb, but either way to say that a team won a trophy ‘purely by happenstance rather than through their own skills or merit’ is something an opposition supporter might say after the event, i.e. ‘they were lucky bastards’, but coming from a fan of the team he hopes will win in the future, as in e.g. ‘provided we are lucky bastards’ sounds like a cop out to this scribe. πŸ™‚

RA. I will get right on it!. When you disappeared for a couple of weeks I stopped thinking.

Do you have any preferences? Must be possible with an acoustic guitar and something I have heard of!

53. arnie says:

On other news (Beebs).

Fifa investigator Garcia resigns

Fifa’s independent ethics investigator Michael Garcia resigns in protest over the handling of his World Cup bidding report.

Rasper,

It does not behoove me to disagree with anything you say, of course, but your comment at 5:44 does put me in a quandary, when you said, “I didn’t resurrect the debate [about luck]” which does seem to be at odds with your 1:50 comment;

-“I listed luck in the poll – and (it) has proved to be the most popular answer thus far.

What I did say was that it was not good to blame poor performances on luck or to apply the term β€˜luck’ to anything which can be altered by human beings …”

At first glance the fact that you introduced the concept of ‘luck’ into the poll, and then explained what you did or did not say previously on the matter does seem to be tantamount to inviting debate.

Clearly I am wrong, and there is a rational explanation. Now, where is Shard? πŸ™‚

Any ballad of your choice would be very welcome, Raddy. πŸ™‚

A topical one would be your rendition of the spoof Arsene song from Frozen – Let it Go – which I found hilarious, or perhaps something from a favourite of mine, the late Elvis’ Are you Lonesome Tonight. or It’s Now or Never, or Merry Xmas, Baby, but I would appreciate anything in your vocal compass. πŸ™‚

Hi Redders, the use of smiley faces is the key. In my first comment I mentioned luck because i had embellished arnie’s article without his permission and wanted to lighten things by alluding to the infamous and now terminally boring ‘luck debate’. I voted for the with luck option. What i disagree with is the idea that luck can be used as an excuse for a poor performance when we are failinv to do the basics that would preclude the intervention of what some would label luck πŸ™‚ πŸ˜€

RA. OK.

Looking forward to a tough night for L’pool preferably 120+ mins and at least two injuries or red cards

Take a look at the stats for the two legs of the semi between the chavs and Barca if you want to see luck in action (regardless of whether the chavs had been practising defending all week).

Tend to agree, Rasp. πŸ™‚

Chas, baby,

Wash your mouth out — how can you ask me, or any other Gooner – to look at anything to do with the Chavs or BarΓ§a — you’ll be lucky!! πŸ˜€

61. stevepalmer1 says:

Luck has nothing to do with it, in my mind, If running a marathon and you start out in the lead and finish in the lead you are termed as the winner, No referee’s and no lines men’.s decisions come into it.You run 26 miles in front and break that tape and you win.

With football where your games are all pre planned, Competitions are a lottery and officials are assigned by the FA Or FIFA and are paid by them, also they are instructed to do the Authorities recommendations.

Plus we have to remember referee’s discretion, when is handball handball, when is offside offside, what is a deliberate foul. Football is governed by who ever rules the roost, they hold the prizes, and they award the prizes and in my mind they decide the winners.

No luck needed when the dice are loaded

Despite what I have just said to the Chasser, I WILL be watching sodding ‘Pool and hoping they will be unlucky and slip on a banana peel!! πŸ™‚

Bugger – there’s that ‘luck’ thing, again. πŸ™‚

Thats fine chas, you’re probably correct. Explain to me – who are you actually debating this with? Who is the person who is saying that luck plays no part in football – luck plays a part in just about everything

…. Well maybe that’s Steve then πŸ™‚

65. wally says:

NB thank you for volunteering raddy, he’s on! Anyone else you’d like to volunteer?

I’m not debating this with anyone.
    Just giving my opinion is all.

Fair enough πŸ™‚

68. The Cockie Monster says:

Talking of all this …”luck” stuff !

If you had one wish from a genie and it cant be what Redders will say……..” I`d ask for three more wishes etc` !”.
    The best wish would be to be the worlds…… luckiest bastard !…it basically covers all angles !.
    I would do the lottery and win the jackpot and `69er would say…..you lucky bastard !.
    I would be playing football in the park with `69er just as Arsene walks by and he would offer me a contract as the new Messi and `69er would say…..you lucky bastard !.
    I would accidently discover a penis enlarging potion and `69er would say……you lucky bastard !
    I would be in the night club with `69er and all the super models would ask me to shag them and `69er would say…..you lucky bastard !.
    I would discover a anti-aging and immortal cream and `69er would say…..you lucky bastard !.
    If I fell out a plane, I would land safely head first into Beyonces gash and `69er would say …..you lucky bastard !.
    I would meet Eddie at The Arsenal Tavern and she would say…” my God you gorgeous and remove her knuckle dusters and stroke my face with a velvet glove instead and `69er would say….” you lucky bastard ! ” ……..no luck there !…it`s always been this gorgeous !. hahaha

You`ve at least got one thing going for you though, your all Arsenal supporters !…………………………………………you lucky bastards !. hahaha

69. arnie says:

Cockie. “You`ve at least got one thing going for you though, your all Arsenal supporters !” πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

70. arnie says:

Wally. I am not a betting man, but I am happy to accept your bet. Just for fun. πŸ™‚

But first, let us make some calculations.

16 teams at this stage, a priori let us say 1/16 chance of winning for each. Maybe Arsenal a bit lower, having come second in the group, let us say 1/20. However, we have a LUCKY draw against Monaco, so back to 1/16 then.

But because I am bullish on the good guys, and because I think we stand in good stead, let me put the odds up even further. Say 1/10 then.

So, if we fail to win, I give you Β£1 and if we win the CL you give me Β£10. Or any multiple thereof? How about that? πŸ™‚

71. arnie says:

Here then to wishing 120+ mins, plus a couple of red cards and a couple of injuries. πŸ™‚

72. ytehjnnh says:

I wager Β£10.000 to anyone that Arsenal will not win Champions league

73. arnie says:

Lovely day’s blogging everyone. I am travelling tonight, leaving just about the half time mark. Dont know whether I will have network.

So thank you all for the fantastic comments and the great time we have had. πŸ™‚

No motning batner for me tomorrow. 😦

74. The Cockie Monster says:

One of my favourite Henry photo`s !…..it`s on his return, but it`s really about Adrian Durhams face for me and goes some way to prove to me he`s a closet Gooner !. πŸ˜€

75. arnie says:

OK, ytehjnnh, I will take it then. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ Deal. πŸ™‚

And you’ll never have to pay up Arnie. In this life. A win win bet if ever there was one.

Great post, thanks. Can this team win it this time around? Don’t know, because I have no idea which “this” teams is. We have not seen our strongest side even once.

Chas
    All reasonable except “Fell from horse in War” seems a tad harsh.

Surfing off yet again. Going to be some climax.

One for NB, or, how to start a fight with the French πŸ™‚

80. The Cockie Monster says:

Hahaha chas…….I`ve just been on The Bounds Green Medical Clinic website and that looks exactly like Transplants last 86 visits to see his Doctor !.

Arnie. You just bet Sniffer 20 years of his pocket money

Sniffer πŸ™‚
    Forgot about him, and Buddhist Steve now I think about it

83. arnie says:

Raddy. πŸ™‚ apols for engaging the sniffer. πŸ˜›

Who was the other utter turd, Plectrum?

85. arnie says:

will try and catch the surf tomorrow, Micky. If I can stay awake. πŸ™‚

ok, all. off out now. disappointed with Pool. 😦

Safe journey Prof

87. arnie says:

ta Micky. πŸ™‚

L’Pool letting us down. B’mouth’s finishing is Sanogo-esque

89. Ray Bergkamp says:

Yes we’ll a certain amount of luck like any team that wins a cup but what we really need is our strongest 11 fit on Champions league nights.I for one strongly believe our best team is good enough to beat any of the big names in Europe.

chas – that is an awful vid, I can’t believe it was published on the official AFC site, embarrassing

Morning All

Eddie, what do you expect?

Crap night of football, spurs have a chance of silverware having drawn SU and L’pool won at a canter.

What happened in the surf-off?

92. stevepalmer1 says:

Possible post in Nuts, should you be desperate,

93. Good morning Ladies πŸ™‚

Micky, that vid about cassoulet is really spot on, the French get very angry if you suggest something they believe to be French in origin is not, especially if you say it originates in England. Insulting their cuisine can get you killed ha ha .
    I’m not a great lover of cassoulet, just some stringy pork, a few sausages and loads of white beans. πŸ™‚

Raddy – a real turkey at the very least πŸ™‚

No, no, they were good results. More games = more potential problems. I want Spurs to go to the finals in all 3 competitions.

The rumour about the Qatar Airlines buying Spuds is gathering pace. QA already have PSG and stake in Barca and now to complete the portfolio want an EPL team. They are only considering London clubs.

Arsenal was their first choice. However, our ‘complicated’ ownership structure and involvement of the Emirates Airlines were show stoppers. West Ham and Fulham were deemed too small, so all the eyes are on Totts.

Blimey, this could be the end of us. If we were to be in a N17 shadow I think I would stop watching

96. Eddie

Bonjour ma petite poule πŸ™‚

Are you fecking crazy woman… Spuds in three finals? Odds are that they could win a couple or three………. would you really want the totnumb tossers throwing that in our faces?

I am NOT crazy (or poule). Only very poor people are mad, me is eccentric.

Don’t be silly Chris, they will never win anything, just suffer physically which with some luck will place them in the relegation zone and the Qataris will lose interest. Think!!!

98. Do you really think the Arabs want some worn out piece of real estate in N17………. they’ll be asked by Haringey council to renovate Broad Water Farm ha ha ha

Well, I read that the only bone of contention is the large Jewish fan base at the WHL which may cause problems with the Arabs owing it.

Sheikh Masouri bought ManCity, placed in one of the worst parts of Mancunia. Arabs are not well known for their logical thinking.

arnie and co – don’t bother calling me a racist, I call myself that

Joe Lewis wants to sell. Arabs like London. Makes sense. They would still have to work within FFP.

101. Wasn’t Diana Ross just lovely πŸ™‚

terrible news Raddy. I suppose wherever they invest their money before the oil loses its value, they will cause problems for us.

But I am not disappointed they are not buying the AFC. I would absolutely hate that.

103. I don’t see it happening……….. several issues will block any move for them to buy the Spuds.

104. oh dear Eddie, is that your taste in music… or did your daughter just post that vid πŸ™‚

don’t know. I listened to the radio last night and some big guns seemed to be pretty convinced that the deal is on.

listen NB – I do the insulting, all right?
    I love hiphop, much more than Diana Ross or the boy band you posted.

107. It would have to be a massive investment: Building a New ground and finding the location, local investment to regenerate, funds to rebuild the team, plus there could well be a Jewish / muslim issue?

So if it is anything like what we have experienced since 2006, quite an upheaval and several years of austerity perhaps.

FFS Liverpool and Spurs win and now this Qatar reported ownership.
    Don’t worry if they buy the spuds and they have a bad game they will behead the odd one or two.
    14 of their gay players will be transferred and any fans that are circumsized will have their entry refused.

109. I suppose this is you then Yvonne…..

Kels – they are capable of worse things. I lived in libya for 2 years and the memories still keep me awake at nights

Yep, that’s me πŸ˜†

I can well believe that Evonne.

113. Can’t wait to meet you in Monaco Yvonne……….. I’m sure we’ll have a great laugh together πŸ™‚

114. ha ha I’m just looking at that list of mental illnesses for 1864… some great names for bands, it has Bad Company but wouldn’t Periodical Fits be a super name for a bans πŸ™‚

115. The Cockie Monster says:

I see !….I bring up the ….”Qatari buying Spuds” rumour yesterday and only when a psychotic women wearing threatening knuckle dusters brings it up is it discussed !. hahaha

116. Snap again Cockie man πŸ™‚

Kels – I’ll give you one example, by far not the worse. You could be arrested for just about anything in Libya and many of the foreign workers were in short term jails. That happened to one of our young accountants, nice boy with a family back in Poland. They kept him in a cell for 3 days and raped repeatedly. He hang himself the day he was released

Cockie – you did put me on alert and I started checking. You have a bit of a reputation yourself darling and no many would belief anything you say πŸ™‚ but this time you were right, not the usual bullshit

119. arnie says:

Evonne. Do you have some time to waste and want to join for a drink

if so please send me a text

my flight back from London City is at 2030

120. The Cockie Monster says:

Listen boys and “dusters” !……look how much money Mansour spent on East Manchester….the council were rubbing their hands together !. Do you really think that Haringey Council or the Government would stop the Qataris spending a billion pounds to spruce up a deprived swamp area of London !. They may have to play along with FFP, but they could spend as much they liked on infrastructure and youth policies !. I`ve no doubt it would be a black day for our club if the Qataris buy the Spuds !.

Do we want this to happen in N17 ?.

Please buy Arsenal instead !. hahaha

121. The Cockie Monster says:

Hahaha When a woman wearing knuckle dusters calls me …”Darling !”….I don’t know whether to be scared shitless or be aroused !. hahaha

Anyway my dearest !…….imo, it is usually quality bullshit !. hahaha

122. Cockie, is Haringey Council still a mad lefty political enigma? If so, no way they would allow a country with serious Human Rights attrocities to invest in N17 ha ha

123. arnie says:

Same request applies to anyone inLondon today

will give Peaches a call when I am free

124. You’re complimented Cockie by being called Darling, she calls me a ex-con, lying piss head πŸ™‚

Eddie. I hope you are not using the MA’s to listen to that noise. Awful stuff and probably responsible for the incredible stupidity of many of the younger generation.

Morning all, it was only a matter of time before more billionaire owners bought up the marketable PL clubs. I can’t see our owner changing his approach and so it is inevitable that sooner or later someone will throw money at a rival and making top 4 may become very difficult. I suggest we all make the most of the next couple of seasons.

127. ha ha Raddy, wasn’t the Who responsible for the incredible stupidity of many of the younger generation πŸ™‚

128. The Cockie Monster says:

I dunno `69er !. I think they would be well at home in Harringey !…..did you see the atrocities the Tottenham Riots did to such a listed area of architecturally important buildings in an area of outstanding natural beauty did !. hahaha

Daddy – I presented the MAs to a very grateful recipient yesterdsy . Thanks for that, excellent choice. For hip hop I use Dre Beat ones πŸ™‚

130. Eddie

Instead of listening to that American crap, you should be listening to this :

131. The Cockie Monster says:

Lets face it !……if the Riots in N17 caused Β£10m of improvements, then what do you think a Country with the wealth of Qatar could do ?……fcuk me, they have enough money to put a massive sign on the moon saying…..” We hate Arsenal !”. hahaha

Raddy – oh yeah, and what is this, a fecking lullaby?

Tank you Chris, but I don’t like polish men, two timing drunks.
    And does anybody really believe that loony left Haringey would turn up their nose on lots of money? Ha ha ha ha! They would just dress it up in Haringey are welcoming ethnic diversity and hard working immigrants contributing to the welfare of less enterprising indigenous pensioners

Sorry about my typing but have a new tablet and have to learn the keyboard

135. ha ha Evonne, and American gangsta rappers are not two timing drug users πŸ™‚

Good point nb πŸ™‚ just as well I’m a blond or I would look stupid πŸ™‚

137. Evonne, you gave in too easily there……….. now I’m worried πŸ™‚

Evoone

6 Kabanas at Asda are Β£2.60. 5 at Waitrose Β£5.00

139. Kels

There’s a vote going on over in my pub…. vote yea or nay on some Cockie porn πŸ™‚

140. There’s a New Post

141. Just going back to the original post and the vote: It seems that the majority 49.01% think that we can win the CL, ‘with some luck’

29.8% think we can win it without luck and… 21.19% wankers think we have ‘no chance’ or will be unlucky. πŸ™‚

142. Kabanas looks a bit erotic

143. Looks as if I’ve taken over the blog πŸ™‚ where’s Peaches when you need her

144. New Post is now up…

145. Micky?
    Chas?
    Raddy?
    Arnie?
    RA?
    Rasp?
    StevieP?
    Plectrum……….

146. Bugger this, I’m going to the bar πŸ™‚ laters wankers

147. The Cockie Monster says:

Waitrose is so expensive, only the likes of Kelsey can afford to shop there !…..he actually encourages more shops like ALDI and LIDL`s in his area to keep the riff raff out of Waitrose !.
    I can just imagine Kelsey and his wife having a discussion in Waitrose………..” Darling !….shall I buy three Gooses ? “………”Why Darling ?”…………..” Well Darling, I thought, one for the town house in Hampstead , one for the cottage in the Cotswolds and one for the Yacht in St Katherine`s Dock ! ” ……………” Go ahead Darling, I`m busy in the Waitrose value isle looking for a Christmas present for our Chauffeur ! “. hahaha

NB. New post? Have you been on the pop already??

Cockle. There are only a few places where one can buy decent tuck. Harrods Food Hall, Harvey Nicks, Fortnum & Mason, Waitrose and M & S.

The others sell swill.

149. arnie says:

pray, where on earth is the new post? cannot find anything. 😦

150. The Cockie Monster says:

In a parallel universe, Arsenal manager Don Revie gives our new signing Kevin Keegan the rub down !.

151. arnie says:

I thought Steve “not the Buddhist” had sent one in! anyway, what do I know. πŸ˜›

152. arnie says:

A YES vote for Cockie. πŸ˜›

153. They don’t count on here Arnie πŸ™‚

154. oh dear oh dear. What a slow day….

155. Arsène Wenger has revealed the following team news ahead of the Liverpool game:
    on the team news…
    There’s a slight chance of Monreal being available and a very slight chance for Walcott. We hope that Oxlade-Chamberlain will be fit. We’ll see that on Saturday.
    on Theo Walcott…
    He is back in training today [Thursday]. But only today. I might take him, I don’t know yet until he’s back to full training. Let’s see.
    on Oxlade-Chamberlain…
    That’s what we’ll see on Saturday after a test. He’s not in training at the moment.
    on Ospina and Rosicky…
    Ospina is back in full training and Rosicky should be back next week.
    on Wilshere, Ozil, Koscielny, Ramsey and Arteta…
    All out. They’re all progressing as planned.

156. arnie

It would appear the powers that be have abandoned ship πŸ™‚

157. jnyc says:

I’ve been saying all along, we will take out out a big team and shock everyone, since Monaco is not a big team, it will be in the round after. Not sure after that, but it’s going to be fun!

JNYC. That’s the spirit.

NB. We have a post from Steve but it is too late to put one up. It isn’t time sensitive so could use it tomorrow or saturday.

I guess it is so quiet because of a mix of winter depression, shopping and no AFC news.

159. Raddy

And man flu……

160. Raddy….. get over to my pub, Chas has posted a corker πŸ™‚

161. arnie says:

Sorry all, still traveling. But back tomorrow morning for the banter.and maybe some sitar tonite

162. Hello all

For anyone who doesn’t know, Balotelli is banned for the game on Sunday. He’ll just have to start his good run of games after Xmas πŸ˜‰

guys, watch Panorama tonight and you will never buy another Apple iproduct again.

166. poigmothoin says:

Eddie, I haven’t watched it, but guessing it could be applied to a lot of things. My Mac is 4 yo, they gave me the latest OS free and after sales service is excellent. Please don’t hit me. πŸ™‚

167. GΓΆΓΆner In Exile says:

Eddie it’s good for a documentary like that to focus on one factory and one product, gives them a good headline.

Apparently after Panoramas investigation into football it would change forever, the only one who suffered was Mike Newell. Agents are still paid extortionate fees…on the books.

The same mines and factories and working practices will unfortunately be used to provide components of similar goods from all tech suppliers, we could of course reopen the Cornish tin mines and get the stuff needed from there…..my guess is the general public won’t care too much about these working conditions when they discover how much their good will cost from a fair trade environment.

The objection to Apple will be mainly because they make big profits and sell for a comparatively high price compared to other manufacturers.

Maybe we all want to pay for fair trade goods….must guess is we would all like to, but look at any supermarket shelf and ask whether we care more about price than the workers.

6.38 comment in moderation.

Ok, Arnie, I warned you!

Check this guy out. As I always say “if you look like one, you probably are one”

Ahoy Chas
    Love the Jamie Oliver book. Brilliant

I reckon I’ve finally found the ultimate response to either Sitars or The Beatles all rolled into one with that Electro Twat. Had thought about hitting Arnie with the Chary “harley davidson motorcycle jacket vid”, cough splutter, but settled on the rolf harris backed stylophone. Close call it was.

sorry couldn’t find yellow sub. πŸ™‚

What happens in the surfing if there are no waves for the next week?

ha ha ha

Chas, don’t know, but glad it don’t go ahead yesterday as I wasn’t around.

176. Morning micky and chas πŸ™‚

I suppose no waves = no surfing, or am I wrong?

That’s the one NB, or simply too strong on-shore winds that blow the waves to mush

Thing about that pic of The Terminator fella, is that he looks like that prick Bono.
    Like I said, if you look like one…… πŸ™‚

Bono suffers from an eye disease, hence the shades, you heartless Did it.
    GiE and Kissmyarse – no excuses, new iPhone is 700, not exactly cheap.

Heartless Eddie?
    Come off it, I couldn’t care less about his eyes, he’s a dick and you know it πŸ™‚

Anyway, we haven’t heard of any incidents from you in a while

They weren’t any, I’m responding well to the new medication πŸ™‚ sorry, I shouted at the neighbours’ visitors to get off my effing driveway, so I expect police knocking on my door soon

God, I sound a bit doomy this morning, but I am actually in a really good mood, but here I go again….

Eddie. If people want to go and spend 700 smackers on an iPhone, let them. If I was apple I’d up it as high as I possible could

I quite like bono, have seen him life twice, great entertainer

184. If I was an apple I’d want to be juicy and crunchy

Oh apple made sure that their products are iconic and desirable. Nothing wrong with that. But having nets around iPhone factories to stop workers jumping to their death is not okay with me, call me an old softie

Incidently I had a choice of tablet from Santa Claus. I chose much better spec and lower pride Samsung, and am delighted. It’s much better than ipad

186. Most boring vid of the day πŸ™‚

Ha ha NB, superb boring vid. Ideal for tablet users πŸ™‚

Eddie
    If the nets are there to catch ’em falling, or to prevent them leaping in the first place, surely that’s a humanitarian act πŸ™‚
    I suppose the question is, before making a judgement call we need to know what nationality these suiciders are? I mean, if they were French for example, then does it matter? πŸ™‚

micky!!! you are terrible!!
    Chinese men, they have really shitty lives. There are hardly any young women in China because most parents opted out for sons and killed baby girls. Now there are 100 guys for each job, so they are being treated like shit

190. China has it right about the girls then πŸ™‚

this is an interesting bit of news – Scots are beginning to worry about falling prices of fuels πŸ™‚

192. I wish I could get my tablets from Santa………. I have to rely on a geezer called Ali at the La Scene bar

I want a vote

If Spuds Oiled Up, should we?

And I vote “Too bloody right”

That’s because you were bad all year!!

195. Better still….. if Eddie oiled up………… would we?

Bloody hell Eddie, don’t start him off, as I know exactly where this will go

NB “Oh no Eddie, are you going to come round and tell me off”

And yes, that will be just his opening gambit.

Oh God, he’s off πŸ™‚

198. β€œOh no Eddie, are you going to come round and tell me off”

Perhaps a bit of psychological projection there Micky πŸ™‚

199. I’d better be off then πŸ™‚

Got to get ready for being Santa for a load of 6/7 year olds at the local school………….. HO HO HO and all that. πŸ™‚

Post sent

201. Micky……… there’s no one in the nuts to do the post, they’ve all abandoned the blog πŸ™‚

NB
    Funnily enough, my elder bro is being Santa in a village school in Nepal today

It’s only be two days since a new post. Don’t think that matters, we’re all grown up.
    Well, you know what I mean πŸ™‚

Ha ha ha mucky πŸ™‚ nb is very crafty, he is doing the good man bit now – charity with children and all that would melt most women ‘s heart πŸ™‚ he and Nepalese Nigel πŸ™‚

205. Evonne

I do have an ulterior motive………. some of the women teachers there are lovely jubbly……… I think I want to melt more than their hearts πŸ™‚

I thought that much πŸ™‚ good luck, just don’t complain about Santa giving you nothing

207. I’m sure if I play my cards right, Santa will give me everything I wish for today ho ho ho

208. Photos to follow πŸ™‚ Santa with some lovely looking teachers

209. arnie says:

motning all. late lie in. πŸ™‚

nice batner.

Chas I have bookmarked the bagpipe and stylophone Yellow Submarine links. For deflecting Micky’s attacks effectively. πŸ™‚

NorthBank. Apple dating is interesting. πŸ˜›

And Evonne. Shouting at neighbour’s guests is good for health. πŸ™‚

210. I’m here, I can look in nuts ………………thanks micky

211. arnie says:

Peaches. Steve sent in one as well.

NB
    I absolutely knew your day would include the immortal words: “Miss, would you like to come and sit on Santa’s lap”

Soooo predictable πŸ™‚

213. We have a New Post everyone ……………………..

214. What is it about Indian music and dancing on top of moving trains: