The Shawcross Redemption? ………. transfer window speculation

With the January transfer window looming any true football fan starts speculating  – if we buy, who is coming our way, where do we need reinforcements? It is my educated guess that this year the majority of the Arsenal fans would agree on the answer – we need another defender.

Sanchez, Ollie, Danny and Podolski are all capable strikers and therefore we don’t need another one.

We have a formidable midfield, temporarily unavailable, but expected back very soon and hence it would be pointless to bring another midfielder to the squad.

Defence however is a different ballgame altogether –  we need another strong CB. The team were recently considerably weakened by the absence of Koscielny. It was painfully obvious that Per struggled on his own. Perish the thought that both of our CBs were unavailable, as we simply have no one to take their place.

I won’t beat around the bush anymore – I have a perfect candidate for our squad ticking all the boxes. Please stand up Ryan Shawcross. A big, consistent, hard working, experienced and EPL proven professional, who at 27 is at the top of his career and at £8 million a real bargain. Perfect addition to our team.

Now tell me if you would like Shawcross joining our ranks? Is football really all about money and buying trophies?

Written by Eddie (Evonne)

127 Responses to The Shawcross Redemption? ………. transfer window speculation

What a horrible thought Eddie,

2. Now that’s like a red flag to a bull Evonne 🙂

But purely from a defensive viewpoint, I don’t see why not. He has only 4 yellow cards this season and not one single red card less than our young Callum. I don’t think he is as bad as people make out. I would take him… but would he be accepted by our players and fans?

NB I think your Xmas pussy deserves an airing in today’s comments

We can do better than that, Evonne, darling, but if it was Shawcross or nothing, then I would not say no.

[Of course, it will never happen, AW will never change his spots, and he would never buy anyone like Shawcross- umm – well OK we have had some dire players bought at CB,,,,, but let’s not go there!] 🙂

Great Post by the way!

Raddy, are you telling me Norther has a pussy?

I knew there was something feline about him.

6. Redders

I’m a new man, I have accepted my feminine side 🙂

Can you imagine the effect of signing Shawcross upon the dressing room?

Never, never, never.

Next it will be Lee Cattermole or Joey Barton to add some steel to the midfield. Or Peter Crouch to assist with hold-up play.

Or knowing Eddie’s selection process …. Rory Delap 🙂

Hello all
    Sorry to have missed a “Morning with NB” but only just got our internet back.

Eddie
    Thank you. I want a goal scoring winger who can play left or right, but if I had to buy a defensive sort it would be a DM. I think we’ve got plenty of CB’s 🙂 in Kos, Mert, Callum and now Debuchy.

Shawcross? No, because I don’t think he’s a world class dm, or a winger for that matter 🙂

9. Raddy

Never never Barton the khant…. that would be going too far, and anyway, he’s not even a decent footballer… just a bully

10. Micky

Mert will be finished soon…. age wise that is…. he didn’t have much pace before, now he is ageing a bit, that will be even slower 🙂

Agree NB, but we’re talking about Jan window, and the CB can wait for a worldy in the summer. A non cl cup tied dm would help us win the cl this season 🙂

The defence is so largely about understanding and teamwork, that I don’t believe in a quick fix, whereas a DM is about the most individual position in a team and quality could just slot straight in.

12. Micky, if you don’t think a quick fix can be the answer in the back four, how do you explain Chambers and Debuchy doing a good job at CB as ‘quick fixes’?

NB
    I think you ought to be very careful, as there are always terrible allegations made against Frisky Father C’s at this time of year.

Don’t give the spoilers ammunition

14. poigmothoin says:

13 comments and 104 votes nice one, and NB seems to be hogging the comments and its only 10 o’clock surely a stewards enquiry. 🙂

Because Debbs and Chambers are more than OK at this point, but a world class pairing takes time, and anyway, I think Callum is that man, and next season he will be first choice with Kos and Mert will do a little covering here and there.

Anyway, defences are for doomers 🙂

Morning Crystals

16. Micky

I have been the subject of many allegations but being Jimmy Saville is not one of them 🙂

No NB
    I’m talking about your attitude to the teachers. You appear to think that slipping into a Santa costume is a green light permit to a world of slap and tickle

Micky. It works when Mrs Raddy dons the red and white

19. Anyway, I’ve hogged the blog enough this morning, time to go out. It’s a glorious day here and the bar beckons. 🙂

Not wrong 69. My Christmas fantasies were shattered at the tender age of 28. Every year my dear old mum would take me to Woolworths were i would sit on Father Christmas knee and “ho ho ho, what would you like this year Terry? You fat balding bastard?”

I would always get marbles. Never minded, loved them. More people experienced broken legs and sore buttocks round my house than on a Elton John ice rink.

One year my mum took me to Wollies and Father Christmas had been replaced by a Chinese geezer. Been a terrible racist I said “Mum, thats not Father Christmas, its that man from hit seventies show Kung fu”

Anyway, turns out my Father Christmas liked marbles to, accept not his own.

Shawcross evonne? The mans shit.

I blame Shawcross for taking medical science back 100 years. If the moron had accepted those bolts in his neck and not fatally attacked Peter Cushing, there by ending a whole generation of Hammer Horror films, we now would have conquered death.

thanks for the comments guys. Glad to see I rattled a few cages 🙂

But my point is – thank Dennis football is NOT all about money. Shawcross could help us in getting the lucrative 4th spot, but despite that we would just hate to have that scumbag wearing our shirt. Morals and integrity are still more important than petro dollar.

Rasp – I love the title, thanks

Not morals evonne, the mans shit.

Put him in an Arsenal shirt and he would either cost us a goal or get sent off every week.

Not his fault really. Must be hard having the body of a convicted lunatic and the brain of genius. If only that jar had not fallen on the floor? The man would be brilliant.

Going back to my Father Christmas. I must have been the only kid not to have his balls felt by the Wollies one. This makes me very angry, ime sick of rejection.

If i could have hunted the bastard down I would have said “So ime not good enough to have my marbles felt hey?” I swear, i would beat the crap out of him

Raddy

“It works when Mrs Raddy dons the red and white”

Mrs R is a Full Kitter? 🙂

Cheers, Eddie.
    I think everyone’s being a bit harsh on poor Ryan. He did cry you know.

25. arnie says:

Evonne. What a delightful little gem! 🙂 Makes the point perfectly that football fandom is not all about winning. There are other things as well, and we will stoop to any level for trophies. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Everyone has a place under the sun, but not in every place. A terrorist should never leave the prison. Shawcross should never come close to the Arsenal dressing room.

Or maybe, there is redemption. The path is challenging. Perhaps after two years of polishing Rambo’s boots, we can see. This ws my option. 🙂

26. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all,
    Well well well Eddie, you surprise me every day, Kinky Lesbo boots cats shitting all over the bedroom, and a mention of Ryan Shawcross, well i am bowled over, cat shit and lesbo boots do nothing for me , But i did vote yes to Shawcross.

Shawcross would add a bit of spine, Many supporters would of course disagree, a broken leg to our boy Ramsey has made Shawcross public enemy No 1, but in my view i see Shawcross as no worse than our own Peter Story, and a lot more as well.

Picking players is a bit like picking owners and Managers, we don’t get a great deal of say in the matter, but even after almost 20 years with Arsene and 17 years consecutive CL qualification, still some supporters want change.

Kroenke the same, an owner who through good Management has guided us through a change of stadium and still maintained that we stay in the top half of the premier, Also through his ownership we are now one of the top ten wealthiest clubs.

I for one would see Shawcross as a step in the right position, I don’t hold grudges, yes he can be reckless and yes not every body’s cup of tea but he would certainly make a difference and i like the thought of that.

Eddie we may not be compatible after all, but i do like some of your idea’s 🙂

Those of you who know me would realise that I avoid controversy at all costs, so I wasn’t sure if this post was a good idea, but so far so good, well balanced responses

Steve – I think you might be even madder than me 🙂

“More people experienced broken legs and sore buttocks round my house than on a Elton John ice rink.”

The man is a comedy genius

Shawcross is shit

I am not against him because he broke Ramseys leg, I judge the player on what i see and the evidence.

He is as slow as Merts but without the Germans positional play. He lacks technique to shift the ball quickly, and in all honesty, his defending is wanting

He gets away with his defending at Stoke because they defend in numbers, play a rotational fouling game, and are not subject to the same scrutiny as a big club.

I have seen the guy play live several times and at times have laughed at how shit he looks in the flesh.

Who else supports this claim? The England coaching staff dropped him after having a look, no other big club is interested, and Paul Merson calls him an “Honest Pro”

Shawcross for Arsenal? I want us to improve, not bloody well go backwards.

30. stevepalmer1 says:

Terry, you won’t have to worry about Shawcross, If Wenger has his eye on a defender, it won’t be anyone you could even think of. You know that as well as me.

Arsene Knows only well that we have a problem in that position, but as we all know, this is not something that has just transpired. Wenger seems to go against whatever the majority say he should do, i just hope we win this weekend quite comfortable so the press media and pundits have little to pick holes in, then Wenger may just enter the market.

31. michael says:

Shawcross is a good experienced defensive player that we’re lacking in our time, we have to forget about past, things come and past, we have to move on, me I would say yes to shawcross.

So whats this really about then steve? Shawcross or Wenger?

A lot of the time we hear calls for Wenger to buy players that are simply not good enough for Arsenal, Ballotelli, Samba etc, because they simply go against the Wenger ethos.

We need players of quality, not guys who think “That Phil Mitchell from Eastenders?, he aint that hard”

33. stevepalmer1 says:

Micky, the question was from Eddie not Wenger.

Wenger has surprised me over the years with some of his signings, I understood his bid for Suarez and felt that he was a player who could have helped us big time but Wenger’s bid was taken as an insult. Now as far as i know no other club made a bid on Suarez, so how was his bid an insult.

Wenger does not like controversy, he seems to act like water runs off of his back but he has a plan in his head. When one plan fails he moves on to the next plan, but he is like a dog with a bone, and changes in directions you wouldn’t expect.

Wenger brought Ozil, at the time i said WHO, but he may just be a piece in his jigsaw. Where the dog and bone bit comes back is Sanchez, classes as very similar to Suarez, and came in relatively quietly.

Its my opinion his plan is almost complete, Holding midfielder and perhaps a central defender and the last pieces will be in place. Had we not had the injuries that we have had, i feel we could have been leading, even without our final pieces. But of course i could be wrong and Wenger has no plan and just uses guess work.

Thanks for the post Eddie – no redemption for Shawcross for a number of reasons ….

1. We should be looking for better quality
    2. I wouldn’t want the wrong message to go out to the players
    3. Just imagine what a field day the Arsenal-hating meeja would have?
    4. He’s not worthy of cleaning Aarons boots 😛

I’ve just checked the poll and the ‘Yes’ vote is leading – but if you add the No’s to the boot cleaners, he’s not popular 🙂

36. Die BFG says:

Eddie, schlagen sie vor, dass Ryan Shawcross ein perfekter kandidat für unser team sein könnte. Die einfache antwort ist nein danke!

37. g’day all, In answer to your question Eddie, a resounding NO!!

Off topic here but of interest to anyone with school age children or, more likely on AA, grandchildren.

This is the actual answering-machine message for the Maroochydore High
    School in Queensland, Australia
    Turn on your sound and wait for the “ring.” It almost makes you want
    to move there

Danke, aber Ich verstehe Deutch nicht 🙂

Die Big Ferrucken German from Norfolk,

Where did you learn to Sprache Deutsch?

You’re not one of those sleeper spies are you? 🙂

Raddy,

I second your comment regarding Terry. Comedy genius indeed – mind all those who had to put up with sore asses because of him publicly playing with his marbles and shocking them after being caught in flagrante delicto might not agree! 🙂

arnie,

I am shocked by you at 11:08.

“we will stoop to any level for trophies.” Really? Have you gone over to the dark side? 🙂

Before I go – just a call for Rasp with his subtly oblique reference to the Shawcross redemption.

Very good play on words referring to the rather chilling Stephen King book and film the Shawshank Redemption.

The idea of Shawcross joining Arsenal (which will never happen) would be chilling indeed. 🙂

Ah the oracle is bilingual 🙂

Well done Evonne to have the balls to put this post up.

Shawcross was just interviewed on Sky and said quite clearly we (Stoke) hate them (Arsenal) and vica versa.

The thought of enternaining him in our colours is quite repulsive, end of.

45. jnyc says:

Oh, come on, Evonne.

46. jnyc says:

Seriously?

47. RA, I speak only English, but I can make myself understood by people of almost any nationality. I speak slowly and very loudly in simple English, the foreign Johnnys quickly catch on.

Chas
    Back in training eh?
    I wish I could imagine an Arsenal side with players like Ox, Mesut, Theo and Ramsey all in the same side at the same time and all at the top of their games.
    Just can’t 😦

Anyway, it’s 3pm and it’s Saturday. Anyone worth watching getting beaten?

Ok, had a look. Villa Utd

A brilliant system, Norfolk!! 🙂

And presumably when you shout loudly enough at the computer, the little bastard types it brilliantly.

You are a genius — or a lying sod – time will tell!! 🙂

Only bi-lingual, Kelsey? 🙂

wow
    lovely goal from Benteke

Norfolk,

Sind sie sicher, das sie nicht ein deutscher Spion sind? Hmmm? 🙂

Norfolk – my mother is coming to England for Xmas. Not one word of English. My friend speaks not one word in Polish, but insists on meeting Mother. She claims to be fluent in sign language and expects my mum to understand. Pity my mum has no sense of humour or we could have a great larf 🙂

Jnyc – I wouldn’t have him, but majority would

What’s your link, Micky?

liveonline RA
    But free on Wiziwig

Eddie,

I heard a politician say, last week, that the British government expected about 13,000 Polish workers to enter Britain after the immigration rules were relaxed, and instead there are now 1,000,000 so your mum will break the barrier and be 1,000,001.

She will be famous! 🙂

Thanx, Micky.

jnyc,

Fear not, there is no chance of that **** ever playing for Arsenal. 🙂

Utd are going to be in the market for exactly the same type of players as us 😦

Must offer obscene amounts more than them. That’s the way forward, eh Arnie 🙂

really exciting game for anyone else who’s rained off gardening 🙂

63. wally says:

C’mon Villa! Don’t be rash, get stuck in.

Hmmm, apart from manu drawing, none of the other results went our way today …. wins for Southampton., Wham and the tiny totts 😦

65. arnie says:

ha ha ha Utd ROLF. made my Saturday. after a refreshing but cold walk on the Arbroath cliffs. 🙂

Redders. I have had my flings on the wild side. 😛

Micky. Obscene amounts get you numpties. To get the worthy ones, you offer respect and the chance to play football rather than anti-football. 😛

But the mancs was the most important one.
    🙂

67. arnie says:

very disappointed 44% would like Shitecross in our ranks. But hey, what can you do? 😦

Reminds me of a story a friend of mine told me. A bit racist, and it obviously come from a continental. 😛

The English are an anti-football culture. What they love in sport is really rugby. Kids in school would rather play rugby. Now, some of them fall off the pecking order for two reasons.

Either they are not hardy enough, or are heterosexual gits who would not tolerate the backside abuse from the seniors in the scrum. Some of them end up in football.

Stoke is about the best outcome for them.

A bit racist and maybe even sexist, but there is a message there I think. 🙂

Arnie

“Micky. Obscene amounts get you numpties”

Excellent. Gotcha, now bend over.

Sanchez and Mesut. By so far and away the best two footballers at the club (except The Ox and he is an exception to every rule) 🙂

No. They are not far and away the best players. They are very very good but Koscielny is top quality as well. So are Theo and Ox. Chambers will be & so will Bellerin. Then there is Ramsey who, when in form, is the best MF in the PL bar none.

And let us not forget the magic feet of Santi or the Golden Gloves of our young GK.

70. arnie says:

Micky and Raddy. 🙂

71. The Cockie Monster says:

Thanks `dusters !. 😀
    If he was the best, then yes, I`d have him !. Put it this way, If Messi had kicked Arsene so hard that Arsenes zipper was on a life support machine, would I still want Messi….Yes !.
    Anything that makes us better is OK by me, although I do think there are better options if Wenger wants to spend the money !.
    Like would we have Hummels if available and forgive him for his Grandad being in the Gestapo ?…..Of course !……..Wengers dad was probably a Nazi sympathiser !………but we have to move on, what`s in the past is in the past !.
    Right, I`m off to invade and occupy my neighbours farm as the bastard still owes me a fiver from two weeks ago !……” warm up the Panzer my little cherry pie ! “

arnie @ 5:49, I can assure you that most non-public school kids want to play football – not rugby. I think your friend must have been influenced by Hollywood’s version of the English 😀

rasp – sadly, in Europe that is how they see an Englishman – a poofter 😦 bit of a reputation I am afraid

Anyway, Manc are dropping points again, Chavs will lose in Stoke tomorrow and we have impotent Pool to trash, should be easy enough

74. arnie says:

Rasp. My friend, whose nationality will not be disclosed 🙂 , was making fun of the English. Like a typical friendly continental European, appropriately educated in the English tradition, would do! 🙂

But yes, you are right. The public school stereotype works well. 😆

But I have always wondered why the EPL is so much more violent than elsewhere in the continent. Mind you, I have no idea how violent, or robust if you may, the club game is in Latin America, for example. 🙂

75. arnie says:

nice Christmas greetings, Evonne. 🙂

Wow

Lovely, the coast is clear. No sitar or Beatles, it’s all mine mine mine

Raddy

“They are not far and away the best players”

Oh bless you and your very sweet supporting of the “we’re all in it together, no stars here arnie style all equal, dream world , socialist, Buddhist, hippie, organic claptrap”

Oh course everyone is as good as Sanchez 🙂

Happy Day Chas. Ahhhhh, sigh

Hey Chas
    Did you make it to Piebury Corner last week, and if so, which did you vote the best pie?

I’d go Steak and Stout/Guiness every time

My only hope is the No vote was split by those wanting him at the club purely to clean Rambos boots.

Nay nay and thrice nay

Actually is go one further

Nay nay nay and quadice nay

Steak and stout pie…..mmmm now we’re talking. If take that Guinness crap out though.

Find it interesting in the face of the amount of craft beers on the market that the major players are fighting back. Suddenly the Guineas brewery is bottling a beer called “Dublin Porter”.

We went for the Tony Adams (steak and ale). It was very nice, much too small though. 10 squid for pie mash and peas. I’m not used to London prices.

That pie and mash looks fab. Nothing like that over here – it’s all open sandwiches on rye bread and raw herring

Exile
    Agree about the stout which is why I listed it first. I merely mentioned Guiness because I’m feeling all “inclusive” today 🙂

and flipper Raddy 🙂

The Tony Adams….superb

The Thierry Henry would be high on my list, and I wouldn’t have had The Vieira down as the vegetarian option

Well, I for one, reckon we’re going to give the scousers a damn good 1-0 thrashing today

He’s the veggie cos his name starts with a ‘V’.

I saw another doc martins conversation on twitter yesterday and it was talking about ‘vegan docs’ !

Panoramic photo

Chas
    Yes I guessed that about the V, but still, Giroud would have been the more obvious choice 🙂

chas. That is a very disturbing pic.

Micky. You silly man, we don’t eat flipper!

Giroud could be the marinated beaver.

These are quite interesting.

That’s disturbing Raddy?

I was pretty convinced we’d all be awoken by lezzos in dm’s, so I think we’ve got off pretty lightly. Remember also, we haven’t been sitar’d either, so it’s a bright and positive start to the day

Very good Chas, I think my favourites are the Pod and Mozart

Can’t remember if I’ve posted this version before, but hey…

Didit. I liven up the morning with an uptempo ditty about the joys of morning and you depress us with tales of broken relationships sung to a backdrop of droning guitars.

Winter depression?? If so, try some vitamin D, a hot gong bath, some pachouli oil sticks and a bowl of organic oats with honey

Or Iggy Big Daddy

“try some vitamin D, a hot gong bath, some pachouli oil sticks and a bowl of organic oats with honey”

You aren’t one of those ghastly people who’ve been to India to find themselves are you Big? 🙂

102. I find a glass of wine does the trick 🙂

Morning ladies

Sissoko and Schneiderlin both linked in the press.

Either please

Micky. Yes I did. What I found was chronic diarrhoea 😦

winter solstice today, are you celebrating Raddy?

Nice goal from Andy Caroll yesterday, I like him and hope he will find his feet for good

Eddie. Got my Druid gear on and heading out to the sacred woods.

I don’t want Caroll to score in his next game and nor do you.

NB
    Never heard of them, but that was nice
    Just dug out my Velvet Underground Banana album with Nico, so thanks for reminding me I own my favourite ever record 🙂

Good news Raddy
    Mmm, a gossip pattern emerging. DM. French. 6’+
    Schneirderlin, Sissoko, and maybe Cabaye?

raddy 🙂 Are there special celebrations for the winter solstice? It happens to be my favourite day of the whole year – after today the days will be becoming longer, hooray

you are right about Caroll, he needs a rest for a week or two. Why are bloody Hammers doing so well??

110. The Cockie Monster says:

Me and friends singing Yellow Submarine !. hahaha

Eddie
    Re: DM/Tracksuit pic gate.
    I believe there are one or two worried Gentlemen on here (not me) following those visual revelations.
    Could they (not me) perhaps be reassured by seeing a pic of you, knees down, in more feminine stockings and high heels.
    They (not me) could then reinstate you to pre-dm pic status.
    Naturally, I’m thinking of others here (not me) as part of my new caring and sharing outlook.

Raddy
    Don’t forget the chalice for the mead toast to the mother goddess Gaia

sorry micky, the days of red boots with high heels are truly over and stockings have been replaced with sensible wooly tights. My underwear now stretches on the knees 🙂

Eddie
    That is by far and away the most depressing thing I have ever read on here 🙂

Thanks Micky. I will have to untie Mrs Raddy and get her to boil up some mead. I am sure Chief Druid Singing Hawk will bring a chalice – Never good to offend Gaia

Right, come on Raddy