Job done!

Well! That was a match to savour! Not sure I’ve ever seen a team line-up with three right-backs playing across the back four before, but it made for an exciting game for the neutrals.

Podolski v galatasary

An excellent first half for the Good Guys, you really can’t ask for more than a three goal lead at half-time. Podolski and Ramsey, twice, providing a selection of goals to satisfy even the most jaded of football fan’s taste buds. Could easily have been five or even the six we needed to overtake Dortmund.

Ramsey's left foot

Wenger rang the changes at half time, quite rightly in the circumstances, but that left us more than a tad open to attack and Galatasaray certainly welcomed the invitation.

According to the BBC, they had thirty-two attempts on goal, though only seven were on target and they only got the ball in the net once. If they had a striker, worthy of the name, the final score would probably have looked a lot less flattering. A bit worrying in view of the teams we are likely to meet in the next stage, but let’s just enjoy the moment.

Written by Norfolk Gooner

68 Responses to Job done!

1. Thanks NG, short and sweet.

I would like to add how impressed I was with The Ox yesterday, he’s turning into a great little player and is going to be very important for us.

I loved the pics of Sanogo’s shocked expression when the goal went in, I reckon he’s thinking ‘Oh sh*t, Ramsey’s going to be in such trouble for taking that shot’ lol

I was also impressed that Podolski kept going for the full 90, he wasn’t in the game much in the second half but scored a goal at the death. I loved the discussion in the sky studio after the game about whether Pod would start on Saturday, the general feeling was that after scoring two goals he definitely should but Merse said he definitley won’t. Poor Podolski 😉

Cheers, NG

Thanks N.G. It was nice to have a game one could smile about at the end. You are right though in pointing out that with a better striker in their ranks that the score-line could have looked a bit different, and this game hasn’t removed any need to address that as an issue.

I did think that the stats on the shots they took were slightly flattering to them though because a lot of them seemed to be speculative long range efforts which normally happens when a team is getting frustrated and finding it hard to create clear opportunities.

Disciplined shape and defending, and clinical finishing are what normally separates the best teams from the next tier in Europe. Both have been exposed as an achilles heal with us over the last number of games and both need to be better if we are to progress in Europe.

With tighter games against better opposition it makes me wonder if the Pod should get a starting spot in those games more so than other games. One shot and bang. Maybe we shouldn’t worry about what else he doesn’t do because he will bury 1 out of 2 half chances and in the bigger tighter games that can be the winning margin.

Well, for all the ups and downs (more of the latter than the former, I know) that was a really enjoyable evening capped off by one of the greatest goals ever.

Who knows what will happen against Toon. We’re capable of thrashing them or doing something really stupid…

But today I’m just enjoying that Ramsey Rocket 🙂

Thanks for the write-up NG

5. Peaches, I’m with you on the Ox, he looks better everytime he plays. That central mid-field position suits him just fine, he’s robust enought to cope with the physical side of the role. Add a goal or three and young Jack will struggle to dislodge him.

GoonerB, thank Dennis that most of those attempts on goal were so wildly innacurate. Our own stats, from the same source, attempts 13, on target 6, goals 4. Not bad at all.

6. Rocky, I prefer Aaron’s Exocet, rockets tend to go straight up and burst! 😀

Exactly N.G, more clinical stats and Podolski happened to be playing. I remember 4 significant attempts from him, he scored 2 rattled the bar with an almost identical effort to his first goal and forced the keeper into a fine save with another which, I believe, led to the corner Ramsey scored from. He has incredible power so will often score even when the keeper gets a hand to it but what I really like is that he rarely fails to work the keeper with his attempts. I so wish that he had been able to improve the other aspects of his game that would allow him to play as a number 9.

8. GoonerB, A front three of Podolski, Sanogo and Campbell offer some different options to the usual line-up of Welbeck, Giroud and Alexis. Could this be the start of a Plan B? 😀

9. stevepalmer1 says:

Afternoon all,
    Well done NG I can feel your smile.

When talkin about the chat after the game, what Mersey said rung home to me, when he said how many of the top managers can actually say that they have scouted a youngster helped train him then been around long enough to actually seen him play, he also went on to say that they only buy tried and tested players because they know they may be gone tomorow . Now although many have called a halt on Wenger myself included,aren’t you pleases that you were able to see the ox last night, even chambers, and at 3.0 some of our rookies,

I often think we forget at times just how difficult manageing is, so well done me old French pastry

10. The Cockie Monster says:

Stevie Pee 1…………………………. It would be really hard to manage Mansour City without all that money !……with all the money…… piece of piss !…….I`m convinced anyone on this site could do it, especially `69er, being a piss artist !. hahaha

Thanks for stepping up with the post NG – nothing to disagree with there 🙂

Sometimes slim margins can drastically effect the way a game is finally to develop. If Giroud had scored that relatively easy header against Stoke maybe Arsene would have been showered with roses at Stoke station. Equally, if Gala had scored their early chance and pegged it back to 1 all, we may have lost confidence as a team.

Like others, I think we should celebrate a good performance and some wonderful goals. Like you, I expect toon to be a far tougher prospect and again, like others, I have no idea which Arsenal will turn up.

12. I go off to do a bit of business, have a couple of drinks and what do I find when i get back….. 11 responses to NG’s excellent summary. No wonder AA is finding it hard to find people to post a post 🙂

I was wondering, when I was in the bar, drinking a pastis and googling at some nice Rack walking past, I was wondering whether the fact that there was no pressure on the team last night, apart from Arsene saying that they need to show everyone, they weren’t under pressure. Did that contribute to the boys just going out and enjoying themselves? If Rambo had been under pressure, would his shot have hit the baklava and kebab stand 4 streets away from the stadium? Would Podolskis effort hit some shish kebab eating local in the teeth at the back of row Z?

Pressure can be a funny thing, affecting the psychology and producing a poor performance, just ask Cockie and Transplant, about when they are being asked by some hot, assertive sort to do the business………… shrinking violets comes to mind 🙂

Hi NB69, obviously what you say about the effects of pressure on performance is correct …. but…. it is the ability to cope with the pressure that separates great players from good players.

Ramsey has shown that he can perform at the highest level, but up until yesterday, he was below-par in the eyes of many. Confidence is key to performance and so I guess an athlete’s ability to be able to withstand pressure and ignore criticism when it manifests is key to success.

I think arrogance is an ingredient of goalscorers. We heard Arsene say that before Ramsey kicked the ball “he thought it would be the wrong decision – but Ramsey proved him wrong” So that tells me that despite skying 2 previous attempts, Aaron still believed he would score. And he did so it worked out well. If he’d skied it he’d not have been popular. If you want players to express themselves or take a risk anywhere, it has to be in front of goal, and diminish steadily the further back towards your own goal 😛

NG. Thanks for writing a succinct post. As you say, it was a match to savour and probably our finest 45 minutes of the season.

Great to see Debuchy back, it means there is a chance we will line up with a first choice defence on Saturday (assuming Kos is fit). That would be an early Xmas gift

15. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all, Not many comments after a good result and a fine post, Maybe a dead rubber doesn’t get the juices flowing, Would there have been more comments had we had our arse kicked.

I said to the lads at work , did you watch them last night, and most of then said Whats the point at the moment, their playing shit and i can’t be bothered. I just said to them OH sorry i thought you were \Gooner’s obviously your not,. and carried on working, later when they had had a read of the paper, What was Ramseys goal like Steve, I smiled and said, Goal of the season son, and i watched it all the way in. on live tv, absolute cracker , No doubt they are Gooner’s again.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger thought Aaron Ramsey was overly optimistic when half-volleying with his weaker foot from 30 yards, but what does he know?

The Welshman, 23, thundered the effort into the Galatasaray net from practically another postcode, drawing stunned looks from even his own team-mates.

It was his second of the match and a third in two outings, after he contributed a left-foot volley in defeat at Stoke City on Saturday.

But this one was from an altogether different planet and emphatically banished the 17-game goal drought which had followed the midfielder prior to his strike at the Britannia.
    Aaron Ramsey

Ramsey posted on Twitter to acknowledge the win and the stunned look on the faces of his team-mates including Yaya Sanogo.

“When he took the shot I thought that was maybe not the best idea, but the way he took it, it flew in,” said Wenger, whose side went on to win 4-1.

Ramsey’s left footed half-volley barely dipped, such was its power and reached a speed of 53mph, taking just 1.1 seconds to hit the net from a shade under 30 yards.

Lukas Podolski scored a powerful opener but was overshadowed by Ramsey and appeared to shine the Welshman’s boot when celebrating

He raced away, dodged team-mates with a cheeky celebration before Lukas Podolski collared him and seemed to shine up the left foot at the heart of the carnage.

“At first I thought it wasn’t but watching it back, it is further out than I thought so it’s my best goal,” Ramsey reflected on the goal which had put Arsenal 3-0 up.

Gunners’ goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny put his head in his hands in bewilderment, striker Yaya Sanogo put his hands on his mouth in disbelief and former Middlesbrough striker Jan Aage Fjortoft paid his own unique tribute.

“Ramsey! What a goal, the best thing from Wales since, since….Catherine Zeta-Jones,” tweeted the Norwegian.

Ramsey’s earlier goal did actually form part of a special night for Wales as because of Gareth Bale’s strike for Real Madrid against Ludogorets Razgrad, the country could boast two goal scorers on a Champions League night for the first time.

The BBC live text commentator on the night gasped when Ramsey’s shot hit the net and quickly tried to find the words to describe the incredible effort.

“Just saw Ramsey’s second goal. OH I SAY,” tweeted BBC Match of the Day presenter Gary Lineker.

Former Gunner Paul Merson joined in the praise, telling Sky Sports: “I’ve never seen anything like it in all my years. It was phenomenal”, while former Spurs manager David Pleat said on BBC Radio 5 Live: “It was a rocket of a shot and the goalkeeper just puts his hand up there to acknowledge the quality of the shot.”

Soz, just mucking about trying to make the photo bigger.

Last tweet in moderation.

I love that clip of Sanogo above; have you noticed how he looks towards the linesman to check that he doesn’t have his flag up and then continues to be astounded.

That is the good bit, the bad bit is I am now convinced that there is no way he has got what is needed to stay at THOF. His close control is dire and that cannot be taught at his age, you either have it by then or you don’t and Sanogo don’t. Yeah sure, he will score a few goals but are we ever going to win the league with him as the CF? Nah. He’s a Newcastle player at best.

Chas
    re your 5.25pm

It’s no wonder the lads lost if they were up against an entire regiment. Even if all 24 crowd members had joined in on Arsenal’s side I doubt it would have made much of a difference.

“He’s a Newcastle payer at best” ROLF

Look at the size of O’Connor. He is just 17!

NG. Not many comments today but the post has been read by more people than read my pre-match which had over 250 comments!

BR
    What you don’t know about that pic of O’Connor is that he’s kneeling down!

A real big Irishman…

Roma need two goals now.

28. arnie says:

lovely stuff, Norfolk. 🙂 my apols for knot bin ear. 😦

this is ours stage. nothing tells me we will not get to the semis this year. feck the doubters. so long as they enjoy the progression, it is good enough.

feck the league. 4th place good enough for me this year. 3rd will be a bonus! look forward to a good double legger in Europe. COYG. 🙂 🙂

Sanogo is a goner. is he? under 19 France captain. if it was captain of England, a relatively shite team, he would be the biggest hero in the world. hmmm. 😦

29. arnie says:

very poor returns on a fine post. again.

what a pity. 😦 I miss Kelsey, Redders, Shard, et al. 😦

30. arnie says:

the young gunners looked very nice yesterday. 🙂

31. 1979Gunner says:

Although Galatasaray were poor I was delighted with the win. Great experience for the younger lads. I thought Gordon Strachan made a good observation about Podolski saying that in situations were another player may take another touch and cut it back (take an option rather that shoot) Pololski shoots on sight. Was delighted for him.

1979
    Takes shots on sight rather than cutting it back?

No wonder AW won’t play him 🙂

33. arnie says:

Rocky. the same holds for Rambo. Both goals. In the first, Sanogo was free in the box. 😛

Four quality goals, great atmosphere, Ox in the middle, fantastic.
    More than anything the game made me wonder about Podolski, but then I’ve been wondering about him from day one. Such a great character, you just want thing to work out for him.

Oh blimey

Just read 1979, Rocky and Arnie’s comments about Pod and Arsene’s no shoot policy.

That’s it, Everyone at the Ems on Saturday: ” All together now…1,2,3, SHOOOOOOOT”

Actually maybe that explains the look on Yaya’s face when the Ramsey shot flew in.

Not “wow, what a brilliant strike”, more like “For fack’s sake Rambo, the boss is watching. You were effing miles out you effing idiot. Jesus Christ, you’ll get us all detention”

Arnie

“I miss Kelsey, Redders, Shard”

Really? I don’t. Continue the cull I say. Can’t wait to get it down one. Me. Ooops, just have 🙂

No wonder we never score any goals if we don’t practice shooting in training.

Ok.
    We are into the final round of the World Surf Tour. It’s at the awesome Pipeline, Hawaii. Three guys can win. Medina (young Brazilian, whose leading, would be Brazil’s first ever tile. Fanning, an Aussie. Reigning champ and has three titles. In 3rd Kelly Slater. Yank. Greatest surfer ever. 42 yrs old and 11 times World Champ.

We’re into first days. Local Hawaiians get surf off for two wild card places in competition. Whole comp dec 8-20. Here’s the site, and great vid of yesterdays surf off

Multiple or Replica Beatles. There is an awful thought. A comeback is on. With John. 😦

Glad Barca beat Paris.
    Shame City beat Gerv’s side. Watched 20 mins of that last night, and he looks so good at Roma.

Looks like the CL draw is on Monday rather than the usual Friday.

Ok, thanks.
    Spot of manoeuvring to do. Later.

No chas pics? Oh woe ….

45. The Cockie Monster says:

Fantastic work by Gunnerblog

47. Morning Ladies 🙂

Raddy, chas has spent all his time posting smutty pics on my blog…. it may be time to ban him 🙂

ha ha ha Cockie……… super song from Arsene!

48. arnie says:

motning all.

lovely song, Cockie! 🙂

49. Is this Wengers anthem:

50. This surely needs to be made into a Wenger song ha ha ha

51. arnie says:

lovely stuff, NorthBank. 🙂

52. Once upon a time there was a great team
    Where we used to win a game or two
    Remember how we laughed away the hours
    And dreamed of all the great things we would do

Those were the days my friend
    We thought they’d never end
    We’d sing and dance forever and a day
    We’d live the life we choose
    We’d fight and never lose
    For we were young and sure to have our way.
    La la la la…

Then the austere years went rushing by us
    We lost our starry notions on the way
    If by chance I’d see you in the clock end
    We’d smile at one another and we’d say

Those were the days my friend
    We thought they’d never end
    We’d sing and dance forever and a day
    We’d live the life we choose
    We’d fight and never lose
    Those were the days, oh yes those were the days
    La la la la…

Just tonight I went to see a game
    Nothing seemed the way it used to be
    In the match I saw a the goals denied them
    Was that team the one I used to see

Those were the days my friend
    We thought they’d never end
    We’d sing and dance forever and a day
    We’d live the life we choose
    We’d fight and never lose
    Those were the days, oh yes those were the days
    La la la la…

From the press there came ridicule and laughter
    Players in which I didn’t know their name
    Oh my friend we’re older but no wiser
    For in our hearts the dreams are still the same

Those were the days my friend
    We thought they’d never end
    We’d sing and dance forever and a day
    We’d live the life we choose
    We’d fight and never lose
    Those were the days, oh yes those were the days
    La la la la…

53. That’s my morning shift done for AA……….. Lunchtime, wine time, I’ve been called to the bar ha ha ha 🙂

NB. Lovely memories especially Sly.

Going to have a check on Newsnow and find whether there is any AFC news because it is eerily quiet on the blogs

Nope. Nothing. Just some unsubstantiated rumours about players I have never heard of.

56. The Cockie Monster says:

How about this for a post ?….a video of a Wenger in, Wenger out discussion !. Interesting bit around 10:25 mins when it`s suggested that Wenger wants Guardiola as the next manager !.

Cockle. Don’t think we can use someone else’s post without permission. If I think of something I will write a post this afternoon

58. The Cockie Monster says:

OK Rads, didn`t know that !.
    I`d love to see an AA version of this !. 😀

59. arnie says:

How about NorthBank’s poem as a post? 🙂

60. arnie says:

From: http://arsenalcartoons.com/archive.html (courtesy Cockie)

08-Dec-14 12:03
    there’s a lot of poison swillin’ around the Arse-fan base at the moment, interlectually challenged neanderthals screamin’ for his head, lets stand back and look at Man U and Charlton, we need a carefully planned succession not some runt like Maureenio coming in and throwing money at the team attempting to buying instant success…take a deep breath and look at it again in May…..ok,he’s made mistakes but we’ve suffered badly from injuries, so chill….I’ve had a rethink others should do too…

Just for the hell of it