Alive and Kicking

My first thoughts about this game are based upon Mr Wenger’s vs Mr Koeman’s football philosophies.

Both played as central  defenders, though Koeman’s was more a defensive shield type player with the ability to score. However the Dutchman was by far the better player and during his long career played in the Barcelona Dream Team managed by Cruyff which went on to win 4 La Liga’s in a row. Koeman still holds the record for penalty goals in LA Liga. He spent much of his Dutch International career playing alongside DB10.  In other words – this bloke has gravitas.

Mr Wenger is probably the most attack minded manager in PL history, his philosophy has always been to play entertaining football with less focus upon the defence (though this is open to argument). Koeman seems to have a more pragmatic approach and this brings me to my point … why are Wanyama and Schneiderlin at Southampton and not at Arsenal? How can it be that a small South coast club has a better pair of DM’s than the 7th richest club in the world? It is a matter of opinion but I believe Wanyama is more effective than Flamini and Schneiderlin a better DM than Arteta.  Do you disagree?

images-1

Tottenham lost one big player and fell to pieces the following season, Southampton lost a host of important players and are doing better. Why? Who cares 😀

The Saints have already beaten us once this season and tonight will be a stern test of our fragile but burgeoning confidence. Injuries abound; how can it be that suddenly Left Back has become a problem area? Or midfield? Or GK’s? We have two fine LB’s, we have a mass of excellent MF’s, we have two quality International GK’s yet we are down to the bare bones!

The win at WBA suggests a more pragmatic approach with Flamini sitting back and allowing Ramsey his customary freedom; it worked. As did the OG/Welbz combo (to a certain extent). The much criticised advances of our CB’s seemed to be more measured. More of the same tonight please.

The potential loss of The Ox who has been our Player of the Month is unfortunate, let us hope reports are exaggerated. If not Campbell has to start – assuming Theo is still out.

Martinez has done well so far but he has hardly been under any pressure, tonight could see him tested to a greater extent. He appears to have what it takes to become an excellent GK. Time will tell though perhaps, given the signing of Ospina and the youth of TPIG, he will not have to patience to stay at Arsenal.

On non-football issues.

Let me tell you a bit about King Edward VII. Son of the austere Queen Victoria, he became known as the Playboy Prince. A big fellow he enjoyed a drink,a gamble, a smoke and attracted a posse of lady friends wherever he went. His mother was embarrassed by her  pleasure seeking son and regularly sent him overseas to try and halt the scandal which followed his behaviour. Forced to marry, he chose the attractive but innocent Princess Alexandra of Denmark (and I can tell you a thing or two about her!!) however he continued to enjoy himself, in fact he was a regular at Paris brothels, one of which had a special bath made for him which was filled with champagne and was set up so he could have enjoy more than one lady at a time.

He eventually became King in 1901 and was a hard working conscientious monarch. In 1909 King Edward V11 dissolved the British Govt and suspended all taxation on alcohol and tobacco (there were extenuating circumstances). Clearly a man of the people he was hugely popular. He died of “bronchitis” (probably lung-cancer) caused by a 20 cigarette and 12 cigar a day habit. Top Bloke.

Unknown

So….. will we win tonight? Who will start for a diminished Arsenal? Will we continue to be more defensively organised? Can we beat a Top 4 side? Let’s hope so.

COYRRG

written by Big Raddy

208 Responses to Alive and Kicking

Apologies for the header. WordPress have removed the option that allows us to make changes. We will email their helpline to try to rectify the problem.

2. aizedlittlemozart says:

Yes, we can!

good 1 BR

3. aizedlittlemozart says:

RASP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What’s up aized??

5. ‘morning all,

Glad there wasn’t too much boring football stuff in the pre-match Raddy, keep it simple is my watchword. 😀

Now that Edward V11 was a real king, even had a cigar named after him. I can’t really see the present Prince of Wales frequenting Paris brothels, Camilla looks capable of castrating him with a pair of blunt nail scissors.

The injury situation (Arsenal’s not the Prince of Wales) is even worse, apparently Koscielny is also a doubt. Could be Bellerin at right-back with Chambers playing both centre and left-back.

What a state to get into!

6. Kelsey, I’ve replied to your e mail at arsenalnuts.

7. That’s my hoovering done, dusting and ironing to be done in a short while.

Good one Raddy, I like the little bit of history regarding Edward VII… randy bugger he was, liked a drink and a smoke, a man after my own heart. 🙂

With regard to our injury list, it’s funny how we are hearing nothing about Ozil. I like a bit of gossip, so what’s really happening with him? Is there more behind the injury thing than meets the eye? Is he actually in London doing his best to get fit or is he in Germany doing his Edward XII impersonation?

8. We’ve got a round dozen defenders listed in the Academy squad, why can’t one of them play at left-back? If they are not good enough why are they in the Academy? In fact what’s the point of the Academy?

Morning all.

NG, I don’t have access to the nuts 🙂

Raddy, a nice preview and results didn’t go our way exactly last night,yet none of the so called big clubs(United and Liverpool) are playing that well,despite them winning.

Tonight is a real test.I expect an open game but who will play ? AW hinted yesterday Sanogo may feature but LB is the real concern.

10. aizedlittlemozart says:

Guv’ I thought I had 1st place…….& I read the post 1st

😛 I’m in the background aized, I get to read posts before they’re published

12. We’ve got a round dozen defenders listed in the Academy squad, why can’t one of them play at left-back? If they are not good enough, why are they in the Academy? In fact what use is the Academy if it can’t turn out a half decent defender?

13. Oops, that comment got repeated, i thought the first attempt had been lost.

Kelsey, I’ve asked Peaches to pass to on to you.

14. Time fora swim. Back later.

15. Sorted the header 🙂 😀 😛

16. Sorting the emails now

Top PM Raddy, it expresses my hopes and fears equally. ‘Pragmatism’ is the key word. We can do what it takes to be winners without sacrificing our principles – Southampton are a perfect example. Not only are they very successful (currently) but they have achieved this playing attractive entertaining football.

A club like Arsenal should not need to take a leaf out of Southampton’s book – but in reality we all take what we want from other teams. Ajax have probably contributed as much to the development of the modern game as Barcelona.

18. Now for the post ………………

19. What’s happened to The Ox, why is he a doubt for this evening?

He took a knock on the knee peaches …… this is what it says on asrenal.com ….

Speaking on December 2, ahead of the Southampton game, Arsene Wenger said: “We have some question marks about Monreal, about Gibbs and about Oxlade-Chamberlain. They have tests this morning.”

Thanks Raddy. Yes I agree about Wanyama and Schneiderlin. Yes I also agree “who cares”. Edward VII sounds like a royal Ollie Reed. Would have likely made a great pre-match drinking companion in the Tavern or Fullback.

Agree with NG’s opinion on our academy. What is the point if there is no-one who can step in at LFB in a time of crisis. Maybe we could go with Flamster there with Kos (if fit) and BFG in the middle and Bellerin at RFB. That would allow Chambers to play the role in front of the back 4 and give Rambo a bit more freedom.

NB, I brought up the Ozil thing the other day and got outed as a devious little conspiracy theorist out to cause trouble. Maybe the same will happen to you? Best get a quick rack of the day up to distract them and then leg it.

Hi GB, I’ve also asked the question about Ozil. The most telling thing is what some elements of the German media saying about him returning to Germany – they don’t have an anti-Arsenal bias.

We have got some really good options and back-up in the attacking third. If Ozil was to go and the money spent on a CM or shoring up the DM/HM position, that may not be such a bad thing?

Rasp, I would like to see Ozil stay and be a success with us but it may be he is too unsettled himself. Many reports have us down as having £30m or so for the Jan transfer window. At a push I reckon we could get £35m for Ozil. So that’s £25m for Marco Reus 🙂 and £40m left for a top CB and DM. Job done.

BTW, I don’t think it is in room 101 but maybe should be but this is a “must win game” tonight. Even a draw doesn’t look great in terms of EPL standings but a loss would see us trail tonight’s opponents, (who have sold most of their best players a few months back and had a new manager adapting to the EPL come in), by 9 points, (6 with a draw). We would trail the worst Utd team I have seen in 20 years with their worst start to the season by 5, (4 with a draw). We would trail the rugby coach in East London by 4, (3 with a draw), and if the Spuds somehow manage to get a draw with the Russian Mafioso’s toy (who I have given up worrying about in the EPL) we would trail them by 1 after their worst EPL start in a while.

Sorry to be so dooming but I thought Crystals had been a bit too positive recently for my liking so someone had to step up to the plate.

Ground control to major Rasp….What are the German media saying about him?

27. arnie says:

Lovely work, Raddy. 🙂 and Edward VII. 😛 does this have anything to do of news this week that at least one British queen has been sleeping around?

And as a result, the current royal family have some male genes from outside! 😛

On the game, all lovely-jubbly at the moment! Nervousness yet to make an appearance!

Must-win? Yes, why not? 1-0 to the Arsenal. Dont care how! COYG. 🙂 🙂 🙂

I’m struggling to find quotes GB, mainly because only british media come up on google

I do remember the National coach talking about his suitability to the English game. This is what Ballack had to say …..

Love it Raddy, thank you.

Yip on Wanyama and Schneiderlin, and Yip on Eddie VII

Slightly disappointed the latter won’t be playing as I haven’t seen much of him, but will be really cheesed off if The Ox doesn’t make a miraculous recovery.

GB and Rasp
    Cast you’re minds back about two months on here and I said Mesut was homeward bound. I got scoffed at, but that fool Raddy took me up on a bet that he’d be with us next season. A fish hangs on the outcome.

Hanging a fish on the outcome of a bet is a bit medieval 🙂

Rasp. How else can one smoke a fish?

Always enjoyed the drum sound on this. Don’t you love the fashion of the mid-80’s? 😡

🙂 Raddy. Poor fish being sacrificed in the name of tactical bollix

35. The Cockie Monster says:

Thanks BR

Beautiful day in the Duchy and just did my last blow job of the year !…………………….yes !, the leaf blower did a fine job in the garden !.

Last year a 2-0 win.
    We had 49% possession.
    We had 9 shots with 4 on target, they had 10 shots with 4 on target.
    We had 5 corners, they had 6 !.

The teams that day .

Arsenal
    01 Szczesny
    03 Sagna
    28 Gibbs
    08 Arteta (Rosicky – 74′ )
    04 Mertesacker
    06 Koscielny
    10 Wilshere
    16 Ramsey
    12 Giroud
    11 Özil (Monreal – 81′ )
    19 Cazorla (Walcott – 70′ )

Southampton
    31 Boruc
    02 Clyne
    23 Shaw (Davis – 45′ )
    04 Schneiderlin
    06 Fonte Booked
    26 Hooiveld Booked
    16 Ward-Prowse
    12 Wanyama Booked
    07 Lambert
    20 Lallana (Osvaldo – 54′ )
    09 Rodriguez

We will definitely have 3 missing compared to that match and one who was sold !.
    They will have 6 missing compared to that game, 3 sold and 2 injured and one on loan . They also have sold Lovren, Chambers !.

So should be a walk in the park !……..but, they could prove my opinion that they have the better coach and we just have the better manager.
    The Invincibles were Wengers icing on the cake in his philosophy that he could just let a multi-talented team beat other teams because they were the best and Wenger needed no major tactics or a plan B. It`s different now, as others have just as good if not better players and his idea of just attacking and not worrying about the oppositions strengths just doesn`t cut it and hasn`t for a long while .
    Lets see how a better coach will set up his team against a superior Arsenal team .
    I predict a closely fought tight game with Soton just edging it 5-0 !.
    All just an opinion though !. hahaha

36. I’ve just twigged why we never get a fair deal from referees!

Of the seventeen officials that make up the “Select Group” that officiate in Premiership matches only two originate from south of Watford, Lee Probert and Roger East come from Wiltshire, the rest are all from oop noorth.

Tonight we have Andre Marriner who hails from the West Midlands.

Disgraceful!! I say Disgraceful!!

37. arnie says:

Norfolk. hmmm. Presumably their induction into the elite “Select Group” is underlined by their connections to the centre of power. I mean London.

Like the bankers and politicians, for example?

Why then do they offer their tacit support to ManUre and like? I wonder. I also wonder whether, given our global fan-base, whether we should not perhaps campaign for refs from the Gulf or Nigeria or China? I wonder.

38. arnie says:

Look forward to Chambers conducting himself with respect and dignity today. Just like everyone else in the team. We have great respect for the academy training grounds in Soton. 🙂

Norfolk. That is an interesting fact,

40. The Cockie Monster says:

A Referee from Nigeria is a great idea, arnie !. It is rumoured we have 30 million fans there and all because of Kanu !. On that subject, may I just wish Kanu a happy birthday sometime this year as nobody knows the actual date !, whatever date it is, he turns 67 !……should have stayed here he would have picked up his pension somewhere about 2 years ago !.

41. goonerkam says:

Ah. Life of a king.
    Now tell us about the princess . Please.

Kam. I will save the Princess for another day 🙂

Cockle. I wonder if there has ever been a more popular player than Kanu. Top player but much more than that a top man.

44. arnie says:

Good point, Cockie. Arsenal’s ref problem is IMO partly related to its anti-mainstream position within the footie establishment in England. Presumably, one of the potential benefits of a global fanbase is the mobilisation of global support. In the form of refs or otherwise. 🙂

45. The Cockie Monster says:

Yes Rads ……his character endeared himself to everyone, you have to love a guy called Nwankwo !. 😀

46. chas mobile says:

Top bombing, BR.

Let’s hope it’s us that scores the worldy tonight. Mind you The Sanchez free kick in the Mickey Mouse was quite special, too.

So shall I put ‘must win game’ in Room 101 as GoonerB suggests?

Rasp. They are all must win. So why not?

Moeen Ali going well (he said crossing fingers)

Oh dear I put a bok on him 😦

50. The Cockie Monster says:

Transplant hasn`t paid the builders doing his loft conversion, so they are giving him a warning about what will happen to Terry`s blow-up doll !.

51. Arnie, since most of the Select Group grew up north of Watford it seems likely that they developed an allegiance to clubs there.

Surely there must be some Southern based members of the FWWB union.

Perhaps our Academy could open a referee development centre, but then we’d likely spend five years and a small fortune coaching them only to find out they’re no bloody good at the end of it.

On my way to the game to hook up with Micky and chas n duck at the rub-a-dub 😀 Someone give a song for Alexis please!

53. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all, nice one Raddy,
    Got ti say i was a bit thrown by the King story, pretty sure it had a meaning related some where , possibly come out later on, but i must admit for a royal born with a silve spoon in his mouth, he acted like most royals did bugger all shagged and drunk and stuffed his face on the backs of all the rest of the country, is that the clue, Stan the man havibg a whale of a time while the supporters pay the high prices, Raddy your a genius the penny has just dropped.

Tough game tonight, depending who is out of the sickbay and capable of ninety, these players are also like kings, paid fortunes and don’t like a lot of work, perhaps another clue Raddy.

Now i dont see Wenger having drinking Binges or smoking big stoggies , Maybe a dip in a Champaign filled pool with a couple of birds, or blokes who knows but on 8 mill a year he could afford it, i couldnt even afford a light ale filled pool let alone two brides as well, Thats the problem all round, the wrong blood in us , and we have to graft till we drop.

Southampton will be a handfull tonight, and if we are not carefull they will be celebrating with the Champaign instead of us , I still feel we can field a team to hold them, so i predict a 2.1 to us..

On your view of Edward vii, i don’t agree with him being a top bloke, Parasite in my eyes

steve. We disagree 😀

Rasp. Deeply, deeply envious!

55. stevepalmer1 says:

Still liked the post though Raddy 🙂

56. Steve

Raddy just has an affinity with drunken, womanizers 🙂

Evening all

Who’s gonna be online during the match tonight for a bit of banter?

thanks for the post Raddy, very informative!

Koeman was a great player and seems to be doing well as a manager, there are only few of his type. How are Southampton copying with selling their best players year after year, after year I have no idea. We were called a feeding club, but Southampton truly are. Their ex-players say a lot about the youth academy, possibly the best in this country. Ox, Walcott and Bale all graduated from the Southampton’s youth ranks.

And by comparison look at their neighbors, who used to be the better rivals – Pompey. Where are they?

I agree with steve re King Eddie VII – dismal character

NB. I will. Looking forward to sharing a sofa with you

I knew I was right about you,Raddy 😉

Get in. At last England win a one day cricket match.

Oh kelsey comes out from behind his fringe only to give me a little dig 😀

Did you read the post? Ed 7 reminded me of you in your youth!

Ronald Koeman pah, another in a long line, flavour of the month, I remember when we were inundated with calls for Michael Laudrup to me our next manager…….what happened to him?

Always love your pre-match BR

Ooops I forgot.

COYRRG

64. ok, so it’s me and Raddy on the sofa and Kelsey behind his fringe 🙂

What a sad state of affairs we find ourselves in: wanting Totnim to beat Chelsea. The world has been turned upside down.

66. arnie says:

I am in as well. The pity is it is BT Sport. So, yet again a dodgy stream for me. 😦

Norfolk. Nice thoughts. Maybe topic for a post? 🙂

LB – ey? I don’t want totts to win, a draw would be equally disappointing for both. Are you not going to the game, how come?

68. I’ve just seen the team selection…. not too bad eh

69. arnie says:

Arsenal XI: Martinez, Chambers, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal, Flamini, Ramsey, Cazorla, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Alexis, Welbeck.

Southampton XI: Forster, Clyne, Fonte, Alderweireld, Bertrand, Wanyama, Cork, Davis, Tadic, Long, Pelle.

Macey on the bench, who the hell is he??

i am watching the lads warming up, is that Shad Forsythe with them?

72. Come on you Gunners

73. arnie says:

Southampton boss Ronald Koeman on BT Sport: “There has not been a lot of time to prepare. Our performance was not good enough against Man City, we did some big mistakes with our ball position.

“Hopefully we will have a good result today and to do that our ball quality must be much better. When we have the ball there will be spaces and there will be chances against Arsenal.”

74. arnie says:

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger on BT Sport: “Olivier Giroud is alright – he has just come back from three months out so I have given him a breather tonight. Southampton are a team fighting at the top of the league and it is important we beat them.”

75. SharkeySuresGhosties says:

Cheers Randy, cracking read

76. arnie says:

Wrighty goes 3-0. 🙂

Oh Welbz. That was a good chance

78. arnie says:

feck, Welbz. 😦

Good game so far. S’ton playing well and committed to attack

Phew Too close for comfort. Wake up lads

Have S’ton got more players than us? They are everywhere

82. arnie says:

hmmmm. nervy nervy nervy. if only Welb’s first touch were a bit better! COYG.

83. Dannys first touch letting him down

Not much to say about an average half for our boys. At least we haven’t conceded.

The lack of midfield control is worrying as is the pace of passing. Alexis is having to come so deep to get the ball. Ramsey is struggling as is the Ox.

Chambers having a fine game

85. arnie says:

Evonne. what does that mean? 🙂

86. arnie says:

Soton are lively, but we should be ahead

2 kisses for my mate Sharkey 🙂

their goalie is good, mind you our Martinez is ok too

88. Fairly subdued I think

Seen any banners yet?

89. arnie says:

Evonne. 🙂

Wanyama is so strong he is bossing Santi, Flamster and Aaron.

We have to up the pace.

91. arnie says:

would you bring Sanogo on for the Ox? nay, perhaps too ambitious

Right perhaps we can do away with the defending is important malarkey and actually commit a few men forward this half.

93. arnie says:

ha ha ha, Raddy. one of Giro or Sanogo will come on I think, but in whose place?

Great pre-match BR – love the stuff on the randy monarch.

Interesting game – Saints are working like billy-o – you’ve got to imagine they’ll tire as the game goes on. The last 15 minutes will be “Arsenal Time”.

They’re a big, physical team, aren’t they?

Is Giroud on te bench?

We are looking worse at the start of this half.

Come on Boys . Wake up.

Our shooting is bloody awful, Ramsey and Cazorla both 20 yards off target

98. Santi just can’t seem to get a shot on target

pants down warming up

this is all very frustrating

101. arnie says:

getting tasty now. COYG

102. That was better… Ollie wants a goal

What a save from Forster. What a shame

Just not happening ……. yet

Get In …………………

106. Fecking Forster bugger

107. arnie says:

ha ha ha ha ha.

they sat on Sanchez for 88 minutes, all he needed was one touch 🙂

Pants down made all the difference

109. Hard earned win, 3 points and a cleen shhet

ONE NIL TO THE ARSENAL haha

110. arnie says:

Eddie. ha ha ha. why were you crying when Giro came on? two perfect subs.

a bit of the fat lady LUCK. Soton down to 10 🙂 well done Wenger, well done the good guys

tra la la la la. only downside, no ROLF elsewhere.

The commentators are talking absolute bolleaux.

As Rocky said we dominated from 70th minute and if we were so fortunate why was Forster MotM?

Giroud made a huge difference, but I think our best players were Chambers and Kos.

112. arnie says:

yes indeed Raddy. feck the pundits. my motm is Chambers

Do all those that doubted Giroud now see what he brings to the team?

The second he came on spaces open up.

Fantastic pass by Rambo to get the ball to Alexis.

But I have to say I was totally disappointed in the display, at best it’s down to heavy legs from Saturday, at worst its fear creeping in to the way we play. I’ve not seen an Arsenal side so timid for a long time, especially in the first half. If we are going to use our players to the best of their abilities we have to return to the short sharp passing, for that we need numbers in the final third and players need options when they are in possession.

Key moment to illustrate that wasWellbecks pass to nowhere, when he was moving away from the box with the ball, he sees Monreal moving forward, he turns away faces up the defenders and the pass was perfect, except Monreal thought about not getting caught out of position, at 1-0 up I’d say fair enough, at 0-0 with a vital three points on the table, not good enough.

114. arnie says:

why is Rambo taking so long to find his touch? 🙂

Had the penalty been given before Alexis scored (which the fool Marriner missed), who would have taken it?

116. fatgingergooner says:

Fantastic result. We’ve played better in games this season and not got 3 points, but that’s the value of having your CB’s available and getting clean sheets.

I thought we were very good for the last 20mins and them going down to 10 gave us the room we needed to get the goal. Ramsey did very well to dig out a cross and Sanchez doesn’t miss from there.

Would’ve been 3-0 if not for Forster so I think we deserved the points.

That’s 3 wins on the bounce and 3 clean sheets. It’s not all bad is it!?

117. arnie says:

Fair points, GiE. 🙂

118. arnie says:

not bad at all, FGG. 🙂

GIE. Not often I disagree with you but I think you dismiss how good S’ton were, particularly in the first half.

They stopped our runs, closed down space and out-muscled us in midfield. It is easy to see how they have so many points.

I agree we are more timid than in recent years, possibly as result of lack of form and a poor start to the season.

120. arnie says:

Raddy. either Santi or Rambo IMO. they need to find confidence in shooting.

121. Lovely Jubbly coq au vin co au vin

arnie, Thank goodness you aren’t AFC manager. Banjo and cow’s arse comes to mind 🙂

Raddy it’s easy to press and outmuscle if you have the numerical advantage that they did, there are no options, that’s my problem with the way we played tonight.

Southampton were good but I think we made it easier than it should have been.

124. arnie says:

I am a risk taker, Raddy, but Wenger is a born gambler. 🙂

Saints were much better than ManUre. They’re playing ManUre next, so hopefully they can win that one.

Arnie
    Spuds losing is always a ROLF, even when it means three points for the Chavs.

126. fatgingergooner says:

According to Sky’s write up there were moans and groans as the game went on. Is that true?

I watched the match with no volume, as I hate BT Sport commentary, and I thoroughly enjoyed the game. I always felt a goal would come and I stayed positive throughout. I wonder if that had been the case if the volume was on?

Let’s not forget we were playing a team who’ve conceded very few goals and are in the top 4. I think we closed down pretty well as a unit and we definitely seem to be getting a balance between attack and defence. I’m looking forward to Giroud coming back into the side as he gives us another dimension, espescially with so much pace around him.

127. arnie says:

Rocky. 🙂 yes indeed, Spuds lose. ha ha ha

It’s interesting to read the views of those who watched at home. I thought it was a battling performance, we were marginally the better side and therefore deserved to win 1 nil 🙂

One things that’s been really miffing me is all this twaddle from the commentators about how (before tonight) we haven’t beaten any team above 14th place in the table so far this season.

They conveniently forget that Villa were 3rd (or maybe even 2nd) we beat them 3-0 at their place earlier in the season. Just because they’ve slumped since doesn’t mean they weren’t a “form team” when we played them.

I know a lot of fans have spoken about Wanyama previously, tonight’s stats, 4 successful tackles from 6 and 6 fouls, so to me that’s more like 4/12. I think if he was wearing red and white the first booking may have come a little quicker.

I felt that Podolski also made an impact when he came on. Martinez was faultless apart from one occasion when he should have come for the ball from Merts.

132. arnie says:

FGG. I remember a few groans of surprise when the Ox was subbed, and then again when Welbz was subbed. Fair enough. Both have dedicated fan following amongst the Gooners. But both were absolutely spot on substitutions IMO.

That apart, the atmosphere sounded good. 🙂

133. arnie says:

yes, Rasp, I too thought Poldi was good. And Martinez. what a star! 😛

Yep arnie, and nacho has certainly done a job for us in these last few weeks. Ramsey is still struggling to find form though it would seem

135. stevepalmer1 says:

Southampton was tough, but we knew they would be. Yes they did shut us down many times and yes Forster had a blinder, I never felt they threatened that much. Ramsey has still not come out of his spell of bad play and i felt that it also reflected on Cazorla.

Why we continue with passes on the edge of the box that never reach their target, i simply don’t know, Our shooting from close range is abysmal, I know we have many injuries but why we continue with Ramsey when he has had a run as long as this has me scratching my head. A man who tries trick passes when out of form needs replacing. until he has shown improvement in the reserves, as he is not ready for the first team.

Tonight i would say although we had much of the play, apart from the usual grafters, we had a lot of players who i honestly feel they don’t need anybody but themselves, as they hold onto the ball too long without a clue where their next pass is going to, whereby we give the ball away from an attacking position when there is no need.

I felt that the defensive training is still holding up, lots of bodies back has stifled our last few opponents, but in front of goal we look pony.

Martinez is still looking solid, i would be unhappy if he continues like this to see TPIG drafted straight back in when he is fit, 3 pts is very welcome as the big clubs all had good victories we need to stay in reach of their shirt tails.

3 good points but with just a few less errors we could have had a more comfortable win

136. arnie says:

Yes Rasp, Nacho was very brave, particularly after the early knock. 🙂 Flamster put in a good shift. Chambers was brilliant and Kos was good IMO.

Rambo is not quite there. My slight disappointment today was with The Ox.

Martinez hasn’t conceded a goal yet!

138. fatgingergooner says:

Rambo was poor, but ultimately won us the game with a calm head where others might have done something different. Something will spark him back into form, maybe that assist was it.

I thought we did some good things going forward tonight. We must’ve done ok if their keeper was motm. Giroud’s link up play definitely helps us create more around the box in tight areas. His flick to put Welbeck in was a prime example.

I enjoyed the performance tonight as we can’t expect free flowing, beautiful football all the time. Wins like this tonight show a battling side to the team which is just as important.

Nobody seems to have mentioned that we were still throwing free kicks and corners into the box when were 1-0 up and in injury time. Surely that’s the time to take it into the corner and run down the clock. A sign of confidence or stupidity?

“I thought it was a battling performance, we were marginally the better side and therefore deserved to win 1 nil”

I think this sums it up well.

FGG
    Your last point is accurate, but I never felt we were over-committing at 1-0 (unlike in the games v Anderlecht and Swansea when we were still charging forward like Custer despite being in a winning position).

On chances created we were well on top. A draw would have been not entirely undeserved for Saints because they worked so hard, but it would have been a bit lucky – and would have been largely down to their keeper.

We were better, especially when their high energy pressing game meant they were tired in the last quarter.

Good three points.

142. arnie says:

FGG. “I think if we can get Giroud playing with Welbeck off him and Sanchez roaming then we will have a real potent attack.” Yes, agreed. 🙂

Rocky. “A draw would have been not entirely undeserved for Saints because they worked so hard, but it would have been a bit lucky” Yes, agreed yet again. 🙂

Too much agreement! 😛

143. Bayonne Jean says:

Decisive, but not rash; that’s what’s impressed most about Emi Martinez. I just get the feeling that AW the riverboat gambler is going to let it ride and keep the young fellow in there until….

And I you watched this match closely you realize how much Arteta is missed, simply from the fluidity he contributes to the proceedings. Sure he has his weaknesses, and he’s no physical stalwart like a Matic or a Wanyama, but what he does do well, in the context of how this side should operate, is really noticeable when absent.

144. chas2 says:

December 4th

145. chas2 says:

Must have been a fine night for Micky. Meeting up with the AA crew, enjoying some pre.match entertainment and he loves a tense game and a last minute winner.

The more I reflect the happier I am. 3 wins on the bounce, three clean sheets, OG looking hungry. Theo on the brink of a return which will give us both a superb front 3 and a strong attacking bench. A defence which looks better organised with the return of a proper CB as opposed to a converted LB (no surprise there). And a game in which no-one was long-term injured

Onwards and upwards

chas. Fine dentistry in the USA

148. chas2 says:

Morning all.

I’m not sure how we get some players on the pitch.

Rio Ferdinand was saying we lacked width last might and that Theo would provide it for us. May be true, but…..he can’t do what Alexis does, he can’t do what Ollie does, he is probably a better finisher than Welbeck but he is nowhere near as strong.

Personally I like the front three of Sanchez, Ollie and Welbeck. They all offer something different, I think Ox is knocking on the door of a regular starting berth and Santi is coming alive in the number 10 role, so for me currently the only place Ox gets in is the box to box midfielder, think he can do that role as well as Ramsey or Jack.

Where does Ozil fit in?

Mr Wenger has some horrible selection headaches at that end of the park.

150. chas2 says:

151. chas2 says:

Very quickly, train to catch.

Great to see Chas Gang, Rasp and Peaches

Raddy,
    You’re so right, I love a last minute winner. Many around (lower tier East) had up sticks. Oh how I ROLF’d

We played so much better against Manchester United 🙂

153. Micky, Peaches, Rasp and the Chas gang at the game just as Sanchez scores 🙂

154. Sexually explicit ha ha

155. Transplant Man singing his dedication to Arsene Wenger ha ha

156. Come on, where’s the bloody morning club gang?

Mickys’ gone to work but where’s the rest?

catching a train should not be a valid excuse to abscond your blogging duties. We no longer live in middle ages when you needed a phone attached to a piece of cord.

Wanyama played filthy, i think his objective was to break Alexis’ leg. Mind you the whole Southampton team disappointed me – I thought them much better players and was surprised at their dirty tactics. Is it how they climbed up to the top 4? How many injuries did they have yesterday, 3 or 4? They will be going down now like a sack of potatoes freeing the top spot for us, rightly so

158. Eddie to my rescue 🙂

159. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all,
    After watching the game last night, then sleeping on it, then reading one or two comments this morning, has me wondering where certain injured players are going to fit in when fit.

As someone rightly said, Theo is nearing a return, blimey is it really a year since he kicked a ball for us, Players like Diaby who has played half a game in two years, and perhaps the reason why a holding midfielder has not been brought.

When i look at our sick, and estimate how much money has been spent on these cripples, i have to ask myself if they are indeed needed in our squad. We spend 42 million on Ozil and i have to say, for what i have seen of him, has not made me feel that he has been missed.

I have to say, that before the last few games, we did look very vulnerable, but was that through injuries or was it down to tactics. I for one had been calling for change in our play, I felt that the Gung Ho approach was a complete disaster, 3 goals up and we attack in droves and leave our defence exposed was suicidal and it had its effects, but that was not down to injuries, that was down to leaving the back door unbolted when you go shopping.

At present i don’t believe our manager knows who our first team selection would be, given if they were all fit. and speaking the truth who would you put in and leave out if you were in charge.

There comes a time when tactics prove to be more important than players missing, as lets face it we have injured mounting up, but are getting the desired results.

I believe that a couple of new holding midfielder’s, big and tough guys would certainly help this side, as i believe that Flamster and the willing Arteta are running on empty, two signings that would make a huge impact to a team lacking a bit of punch

I would also look to replace BFG, probably not a popular choice but i dont like a CB who leaves his position to go up front when 20 out of 20 corners, and he gets on the end of none of them, and then is the last one back covering, can not be allowed to happen, His lack of pace and his slow build up play lets the opposition build a wall and i feel we could do better than him, so a replacement would certainly aid this present team.

Playing players like Ramsey when his form is way off the mark suggests to me that his spell of good form last season, was just that a good spell. Ramsey has been back long enough to have got back to normal form, if of course his play last season was his normal form, i believe he had a better than normal spell last season and i have my doubts if that kind of form will be seen again. At present he is not helping as much as he should, and i feel that had we players fit, a spell in the reserves may make him see that form matters in professional football.

I feel that the rest of the squad are working hard, Martinez has shone in my eyes, handling decision making and distribution has impressed me , also clean sheets has to be mentioned. I feel comfortable with him between the sticks and until errors creep in i would continue with him for the time being.

Our 3 points came very late last night, and i felt we were woeful in front of goal, that will certainly have to improve should we be expected to be in the top 4. I believe that our play for the second half of the season, can be greatly improved on, and should that happen anything is possible.

160. Eddie

Southampton came with a tactic but it didn’t work, they ended up with more injured than we did 🙂

Welbeck’s pass to nowhere was funny 🙂 pretty obvious that the players were practising that during training and it should have been a sublime technique if only someone was there to receive it 🙂

Lovely kitten, horrid Mrs Brown (toilet humour at its worse). It is just the two of us nb 😉 😉

162. Steve just had a bowel movement 🙂 🙂

But AA now have a morning post if needed 🙂

163. Not sure if I like the idea of being alone with you Eddie 🙂

Just keep the knuckle dusters in your pocket OK

164. When Northbank and his gang meet Eddie for the first time

good girl, that’s the way to treat men – keep them mean, have them keen 🙂 I am off on grannie’s duties, laters

166. The Cockie Monster says:

Listen guys, no need to worry you`re cottons socks off about where or how certain players are going to get in the team !…………this is Arsenal we are talking about, we don’t do full fit squads !……come on then, who`s going to tell me when we last had one ?.
    They are a weak bunch of girls blouses and need someone to go in and sort them out with the knuckle dusters….any takers…..Eddie !. hahaha

167. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning NB and the delightful Eddie, if that were Eddie i think i’m in love 🙂

168. The Cockie Monster says:

A knuckle duster wearing grannie !………that’s what I`m on about ! They must be the toughest grandchildren in North London……sign `em up Arsene !. hahaha

169. stevepalmer1 says:

I know that statement was tongue in cheek Cockie, all the same very true mate

steve – I would be in love too 🙂 I am old, fat, with specs and hands twisted with arthritism. But you can imagine me any way you want 🙂

steve. 8.22 Is there anything you like about our current team?

172. The Cockie Monster says:

Yes steve, I love a tongue in cheek statement that is true !. ( not sure what they are called technically, something like the opposite to an oxymoron ?…where`s Redders when you need him ? ) I assume you`re talking about our squad and not Eddie !. hahaha

steve, if you and I were to meet evonne, your fishing rod would be sadly disappointed.

You would have no chance with me around mate. Whilst you regale her of stories of 3lb cod and illegal immigration, I would have already broke into her bedroom, leaving a box of milk tray and framed photo of Wenger..

Eddie. You know that isn’t true. You are blonde, beautiful and lithe 🙂

175. The Cockie Monster says:

So Eddie…….the knuckle dusters were prescribed by a Doctor on medical grounds for arthritis treatment !. Do you have the Doctors certificate as evidence after a ` dusting session down at The Arsenal Tavern ?….If so Genius !. hahaha

176. Ah Eddie, you just ruined Steves fantasy 🙂

Cockie loves a tongue in cheek, but what cheeks

177. The Cockie Monster says:

More like Transplant would break into Eddies bathroom and wait for her to come home to shampoo his hairy back whilst his mum is in Crete on holiday !.

178. stevepalmer1 says:

Raddy Raddy Raddy, You do have a way with you, I like your wit.
    Yes i show my disappointment on my sleeve, I as you know am no expert, i probably talk out of my arse most of the time, but i know football, No expert, but i know when a player is not coming up to scratch. Were talking Professional footballers here, Guys who kick a ball for a living guys who take home a hundred grand a week for perhaps two 90 minute games.

Am i wrong that a guy trains all week either defending or attacking and he leaves defending to others or a forward who cannot get a shot on target from 12 yards.

I expect players to play to a standard, a Premier footballer should be able to do the easy thing easy. To pass a ball where no player is maybe playing on instincts, all i point out is that their instincts is way off the mark.

179. The Cockie Monster says:

Ahhh ` 69er !…..talking of cheeks and criminal stuff…..it`s my 38th wedding anniversary an still no sign of parole !….would I be better off inside where I would still get lashings of sex ?.

180. This is Transplant waiting outside Eddies house: ha ha

181. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning Terry, as you can see mate, my tactics are similar to Wengers, slow and wrong, thats why i was a virgin for oh so long 🙂

182. Cockie

It’s definitely criminal to be married for 38 years 🙂

183. The Cockie Monster says:

First time I had really seen Wanyamamamama last night and was impressed !. I know a few people wanted us to buy him ( especially Total Arsenal ), yet Wenger went for the cheap option of £0 for Flamini !.

184. When you are doing a long ‘Stretch’, the trick is to close your eyes and think of Debbie Harry……… even if you’re doing it with Harry the Hatchet

No worries steve.

Its better than been fast and wrong. Like what happened to 69 and Cockie in the Pentonville showers. hahaha

steve. Here’s a positive. No cards last night …. a team with Flamini and Chambers in it!

187. The Cockie Monster says:

Yes, you may come out after a long stretch with a `sorearse, but you come out being more intelligent with qualifications !. hahaha

If Cockle is lucky he will be sent to Holloway. The showers are more to his liking there

189. The Cockie Monster says:

Right !….stables to clean, then take the ball and chain out for a treat !.

190. stevepalmer1 says:

Better the chopper than the hatchet NB, We may differ on that mate. 🙂

191. The Cockie Monster says:

Yes Raddy, it would be worth having the sex change and committing a crime !. hahaha

Very nice three points we took last night, I love 1 nil to the Arsenal especially when it comes in the 90th minute 🙂

kelsey – let me know when you’re finished in the post please.

193. stevepalmer1 says:

Yes very true Raddy, I hadn’t noticed that, they worked hard last night, Chambers for me has been the buy of the season, Sanchez of course has been man of the season but for the price Chambers has been imense.

I am out,peaches,fire away now.

195. I have a story when I was working in Probation. I had to visit a lovely young woman who was doing time in East Sutton Park Womans borstal in Kent. During the interview, unsupervised and alone in a large room, she was smoking some of my tobacco and asked if I could give her a half ounce to illegally take back with her. I said no, but then she said she would show me where she will hide it.

Honest guys, I really thought she was going to show me how she hides it up her jack and danny, I thought it was a going to be a ‘sexual favour’ for giving her the tobacco. But despite it going through my mind, I still said no. But then she got up from the table, walked over to the wall, and removed a brick and said, I’ll hide it there and collect it later. ha ha ha

Whilst the likes of you and I happily sing our favourite songs whilst showering Raddy, what emanates during a douche from the unfortunately traumatised 69 and Cockie is a completely different matter.

Cries of “I aint picking that f*ucking soap up”, and “Nooo Dave, you can have my baccy” are regretfully not uncommon.

hahaha, that would make a good script for a porno 69.

198. We have a New Post …………………..

Northbank that reminds me of the urban myth story about a black cabdriver:

Taking a young lady home she got to her drop off and rather than paying she offered the cab driver a “piece of this” pointing to her unmentionables.

The cab driver agreed and was paid with a few short and curlies:D

200. ‘morning all,

One nil to the Arsenal! Clean sheet. Three points. No serious looking injuries. No bookings. No banners. What’s not to like?

The defending was again pretty good, and that provided the basis for playing a more controlled attacking game.

I thought Martinez did everything he was called on to do with calmness and authority.

Eddie, Macey is an Academy goalkeeper.

201. Dr Sherri Worth