Arsenal’s Greatest Premier League Team

Seaman – no question, surely?

spunk

Cole – vile human being who never seemed to ever have a bad game for Arsenal.

mobile

Campbell – immense in every sense of the word.

Gallas – couldn’t decide between Adams or Koscielny, so went for Gallas. J

Lauren – Dicko and Bacary in his prime were in with a shout but Ralphie wins because he was photogenic and did this.

Lauren2

Ljungberg – for his virtually goal a game run-in to the 2001/2 season. Stepped up when Bobby got injured.

Vieira – You just knew from the moment you saw him he was going to be an Arsenal great.

Fabregas – I can barely type his name without chundering but oozed class from every pore when wearing red and white (well for most of the time, anyway).

Pires – took a season to settle but once lift-off was achieved – Wow. Loved playing and scoring against the spuds. What more can an Arsenal fan want?!

Wright – imagine how many goals Wrighty could have scored if he’d been playing in the Arsenal team of 2001 – 2004?

Bergkamp – grace and elegance personified but with a devilish streak which made him a winner.

bergkamp

What do you think?

chas

157 Responses to Arsenal’s Greatest Premier League Team

1. ‘This is awesome from Arsenal’ – those words make me want to cry.

Thanks chas – no Thierry huh 😉

2. This girl said she recognized me from the vegetarian club, but I’d never met herbivore.

3. R V Bergkamp says:

Thanks for the article and very nice to recollect these great players but should it not read Arsenal’s Greatest Players in the Premier League since a team like this would not have been possible given the different playing careers of the individuals in question?

Thanks Chas

I can’t have Gallas in front of Adams and where is TH14 🙂

chas, Great stuff and something to think about for an hour or two.

As much as I love TH14 is first on my team sheet but the DB10/Wrighty combo could have been lethal

6. As the Vieira documentary “best of enemies “with Keane” showed, my best team would be the same as Vieiras:

——————-Seaman—————–
    Lauren—— Adams—- sol Campbell—— Cole
    ————-Vieira————–Petit——————
    Ljundberg………………………………………—-Pires
    —————Henry————– Bergkamp——-

7. The Cockie Monster says:

Without Adams and Henry, that team would be beaten by Arsenal Ladies !. Anyway, chas it`s been a few days since you last posted a photon of yourself !…..explain !. hahaha
    I wont do photos of myself as it will be enough to turn `69er back into a cat burglar to get some extra money to have some plastic surgery and feline company for some how`s your father !.
    Instead I will put up a photo of my sons love shack which shed some blood, sweat and tears !…..in Cornwall it`s called a Shaque D`mour, whereas in Didit Devon it`s probably known as a Smut Shed !. hahaha

Getting changed at the gym this morning…..

9. The Cockie Monster says:

Obviously, I meant photo, not photon, although he is a quantum of light on here !. hahaha

Smut Shed …..sorry Shaque D`mour from a different angle !.

10. Thanks for the photo Cockie, I can see it’s very easy to burgle, and secluded. What’s the address 🙂

R V Bergkamp you may have a point but I was going for team dynamics as well.
    It just takes a little imagination to imagine them playing together.

For that reason I’m not sure Adams and Campbell would be a good CB combination.

kelsey
    Gallas was my attempt at humour. (I’m not sure why the smiley came out as a ‘J’.)

I was going to put Thierry in but I still can’t forgive him for that last season he played for us when he was on a shed load and spent the whole season moaning at other players.

15. The Cockie Monster says:

Hahaha You`ll have to get past my mother-law-law, she prowls the grounds wearing a permanent Halloween mask !.

16. The Cockie Monster says:

True, chas !…..and he missed a sitter which would have won us the CL !.

go on forgive him, chas he gave us so much pleasure.:)

That picture of Seaman. Is that the Cup semi final against the blades,it was an incredible save,if I am right.

Oh there was that cock up rather arrogant missed penalty between him and pires. Any footage.

19. The Cockie Monster says:

20. arnie says:

lovely stuff, Chas. 🙂

team dynamics, what team dynamics? Wenger style says, choose your best footballers, and let them have duels to decide who plays where. and when. 😛

TH14 in!

21. JM says:

Premier League era started from the 1992-1993 season, I will use this as one of the basis in making a “Greatest Team” with past players:

Starting (4-3-3):
    (GK)Seaman, (RB)Lauren, (RCB)Martin Keown, (LCB)Sol Campbell, (LB)Ashley Cole, (RCM)Ray Parlour, (LCM)Patrick Vieira, (CAM/Playmaker)Dennis Bergkamp, (RIF)Ian Wright, (LIF)Robert Pires, (CF)Thierry Henry

Bench:
    (GK)Lehmann, (RB/LB)Sagna, (CB)K.Touré, (DM/CM)G.Silva, (CM/AM)Fàbregas, (IF)Ljungberg, (CF)Robin van Persie

*IF = Inside Forward.

—-

22. arnie says:

not to speak ill of the dead, but they will have no place in my team. 😛

23. arnie says:

Olivier Giroud could make a surprise return from injury for Arsenal’s clash with Manchester United on Saturday, manager Arsene Wenger has revealed.

The French international was initially expected to be out until December after suffering a fractured foot against Everton earlier this season, but Wenger says he is four weeks ahead of schedule.

Wenger, who also confirmed Mikel Arteta is fit again, is delighted to see some of his injured stars returning to the squad.

He told Arsenal’s official website: “Giroud and Arteta are both available. It’s just a question of how ready they are. But they are available.

“[Giroud] is three or four weeks ahead of schedule. Originally we planned to have him back for competition at the beginning of next year. So he’s one month ahead.”

Asked if Arsenal have been overly reliant on Danny Welbeck since Giroud’s injury, he added: “Yes, and on [Alexis] Sanchez as well. But we have Giroud back, we have [Theo] Walcott back. Slowly they will integrate into the team again and give us different options.”

Good idea Chas, but both Adams and Henry have to be in the team. Their statues attest to their greatness and massive contribution to Arsenal.

Apologies for my disingenuous tactic of leaving out Thierry and Rodders.
    I was hoping to get some other responses other than ‘you bleedin iriot’. 🙂

JM
    I like the way you’ve incorporated Bergkamp, Wright, Pires and Henry in your team, partly by including the leftfield suggestion of Ray Parlour. Every team needs its workhorse, eh?
    Just give the ball to those front 4 and BANG. 🙂

Chas @11:57 – you forgot to mention £10mil he pocketed that season. But I’m not as resentful as you and would always have him in my team. And Cesc.

How come Casheley is forgiven?

I wonder who will be the next person to have their statue outside of our ground?

I would hope Bergkamp is under consideration.

Chas, you never fail to amaze me, you can pull rabbits out of a hat.

Evonne
    shed load meant £10m
    Cashley will never be forgiven.

30. JM says:

@chas (November 20, 2014 at 1:57 pm)

That is my selection for our balanced and in control “Greatest PL Team), defensively & offensively.

@GunnerN5 (November 20, 2014 at 2:40 pm)

Arsene Wenger’s statue should be next, after Chapman, Adams, Henry & Bergkamp.

I really like JM’s team.

However, if we can take each player at the height of their game and not just the PL years I would have a TA/Keown CB partnership. Sol is great but he still has some Spurs in him.

Also given the power of this attack I would swap Pizza for Petit, who is the better defender.

So ….

SafeHands
    Ralph TA MK Ash
    Manu Pat Bobby
    DB
    Wrighty TH14

What a team that would be.

Oh dear, it must be a sign of my age my memory ain’t what it used to be – how could I possibly have forgotten that?

Just the other day I also wrote that I was born on Gillespie Road and not Avenell Road –

Why is youth wasted on the young?

33. arnie says:

GN5. “Why is youth wasted on the young?” why? I protest!!!! 😛

arnie,

Memory is certainly selective, I can remember a George Bernard Shaw quote but I blanked on Bergkamp’s statue.

What’s up Prof?

Gregory – I won’t forgive Cashley ever, but look at Raddy calling him Ash!! Pshhhhh …infidelity

Eddie. I do not share the antagonism towards Cole. He is a professional and plays for whomever pays him the most.

If AFC had agreed to his wage demands Cole would still be with us. Keown left for the same reasons (as did Flamini)

That is not to say that Cole is any less odious as a man but Cole wore our shirt with such brilliance over so many games (almost 160) that even he deserves some slack.

You are a big softy Raddy, I don’t do forgiveness

BR,

We are on the same page here. I only judge players by their performances for Arsenal, if we were to judge them based on their lifestyle and habits we would find very few who were/are of exemplary character.

They are professionals with a very short career and they have every right to sell their services for the maximum they can get.

On another point it’s mostly their agents who think up and make the unsavory comments, they are the ones to be despised not the players.

39. arnie says:

GN5. 🙂 hmmm. long day, a bit boring as well, luckily wifi is working. so I can follow ArsenalArsenal once in a while. 😛

40. arnie says:

So, Evonne, since you do not do forgiveness, what about “the dead”? 🙂

41. chas mobile says:

Going to meet Maureenho 2 days before we were due to play Manu was, of course, very professional.

arnie. How did your presentation go? Did you tell any jokes?

chas. No arguing with that.

44. The Cockie Monster says:

” I don’t do forgiveness ! “…………as she puts in a shift using elbow grease and brasso to polish her knuckle dusters, whilst contemplating her next victims !. hahaha

45. arnie says:

I think it went well, Raddy. I was shitting in my pants, but grew into it. No jokes, therefore. 😛 Except to say I was there only to reinvent the wheel. And that I had a copy of the gospel in case people were interested.

People were generous and the big guy had some nice comments to make. For me, it was an opportunity to spread the name of “the Lord” as described in the gospel for our church. I am leader of a church which professes a different way of doing things. Headquarters in Illinois. We will see how many followers I managed to persuade.

Good fun. 🙂

46. arnie says:

I hope you see what I mean. 🙂 🙂 Dont start thinking I am a religious leader, only an intellectual who spreads the word on a different philosophy! 😛

47. RC78 says:

On my side:

Seaman – Lauren, Campbell, Adams, Cole – Ljunberg, Vieira, Parlour, Pired – Bergkamp, Henry

Notable mention:
    Lehmann – Koscielny – Petit – Overmars – Wright

48. RC78 says:

And the worse XI of AFC in EPL era?

I think that for sure you would include Silvestre and Jeffers

Well played Chas. Thanks.

Finally I’ve bumped into someone else who can’t forgive Henry 🙂

Read through the comments, and it’s the CB pairing that has thrown up the most combo’s. I guess people are caught between the two best individual defenders, then the best pairing, and finally simply who you liked the most.

For me
    1. Sol and Adams
    2. Sol and Tony
    3. Sol and Tone

Cheers chas

I wouldnt put Fabregas in that team mate, hes shit. Petit was a miles better player and would never play for the likes of Chelsea.

As for Cole, I agree with Raddy & GN5, he can play for who ever he wants, as long as his punished for his crimes. That little f*ucker was meant to be one of our own, but he chose sex with John Terry over his family. Gay lust is no excuse for betrayal.

arnie baby? I had no idea that like me your a religious nut. I myself am an ordained Priest for the Orthodox Rasputanian church.

We preach peace and love, but often succumb to evil desires. Getting the keys to your house we come in when your out to watch tea time quiz shows and make cups of tea & sandwiches.

Sometimes we also have the occasional drunken orgy, but until the ban on female membership is lifted I try not to go to those.

Mmm, no-one kept a spot for Sanchez, even on the bench.

In fact, Koscielny is the only one from the current side to get a mention, and yet so many of the players mentioned all played in the same side.

Worrying?

52. chas mobile says:

Micky
    Every player was flawless when you look back. 🙂
    You forget the shit performances.
    The current players stood no chance.

Very true Chas.

Sorry, horrendous workload, but wanted to show up.

Cheers.
    Rubbish post. I did it yesterday when RC78 said he’d done something similar but it couldn’t be found. By the time I’d finished, Peaches had already put the Jack post up yesterday.

Still filled a gap. I suppose.

Actually, apart from the one vote for Koscielny, you have to go back four years to Fabregas!

We don’t rate the recent bunch very highly do we, so I’m putting The Ox in 🙂

You stepped up Chas and tough times is what they are by the time you get to the end of the lull. So medal, and extra fluids for you 🙂

Forgetting the footbally side of things, my Favourite People XI would feature, mmmm, Eboue, Ox, Pod, even Gerv may bag a slot.

Terry 7.03. Another masterpiece.

We should collect your comments and make an Xmas book of them. We will be quids in.

Can I join your church?

For crowd pleasers Charlie George and Paul Merson 🙂

best uncapped player, Peter Simpson.

Hit man Peter Storey, that’s what we need now.

Micky. I hope that when we choose the team in 5 years time there will be at least 3 current players…….

Ramsey, Sanchez, Ozil, Welbz, Theo, Gibbs, JW, Ox & Chambers and hopefully TPIG all have potential thanks to them being so young.

Sadly the others are unlikely candidates. Does this mean they are unworthy of the shirt? Is even my current fave CB pairing of BFG/Kos below the required standard?

Fave people? There is a post in there. Don’t waste it!!

Raddy
    I’ve published a little stocking filler of Tansplantisms for the last three years.
    Very tidy little earner it is too 🙂

Incredible, Giroud is available for Saturday.

African Nations Cup coming up in Jan.

Who has no players going?

Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd.

MC have only Yaya.

Planning or luck?

Hopefully true about in five years time Raddy.
    Add a wold class this here, and one there, and trophies and triumphs would elevate an entire team to legend status.

Raddy
    Clearly planning or racism, so happily I’ll go with the former 🙂

How often is the ACN? Two years?

LB. AW just said that as a smokescreen to worry LVG 🙂

MMM Gibbs, Theo, Ox, Welbz, Diaby, Sanchez and half of Ozil.

If it is racism we are not very good at it!

I think it is every two years

Dropping Danny worries me

Still, good news for the last gasp assault of needed

It will be my pleasure to indoctrinate you Raddy. Bring those white robes and that guitar with the pointed knob end.

The plan is to raid arnies fridge and watch Countdown to put us in the mood

Being every two years cannot encourage Managers to sign up African Nationals

Ok Lads, it’s been short, but beautiful in a groovy kinda way
    ’till the morn…adieu

Terry. Hpw did you know about my guitar??

arnie’s fridge is full of scottish curry and Irn-bru. Can we have the service somewhere else? I bet Didit has some tasty comestibles in his fridge.

I’m out as well. Got to see a man about a dog …..

hahaha, that Falco earnings thingy is hilarious chas. No wonder the geezers smiling.

I am really really happy for him. I dont like to get political but I feel its only fair that the rich get richer as us poor bastards get poorer. Us poor f*uckers are getting what we deserve, namely a haunted look whilst staring through restaurant windows

Ime so poor now that I can no longer afford kentucky fried chicken, instead ime forced to dine at ‘Mahmoods almost chicken’.. The bloke pays me to eat it.

What I find disturbing is the division that its creating in society. The other day I accidently wondered into kensingnton and was shocked to see the stares of disgust from oligarchs and privately educated toffs with ruddy complexions

Within miniutes i heard the sound of horns and a group of enormously rich on horseback armed with finely tuned dogs screeching tally ho were soon on my tail.

They cornered me outside a plush hotel and just when i though I was a gonner i spotted some fool in a Totnumb shirt. The exquisitly rich quickly forgot about me and turned there attention to the greater prize. This Totnumb fan was so poor he looked as though he had just emerged from a tumble dryer.

As I ran for my life in the distance I could hear “No, please No, we will be rich soon, were building a Supermarket and moving to Milton Keynes”

77. arnie says:

Terry, dear, can I join in as well, please. Maybe I can lure some of your followers into the lion’s den! 🙂 I even added the magic word in there.

Raddy, the single malt is stored elsewhere. 😛

78. arnie says:

Mahmoods almost chicken! 😛

79. arnie says:

what falcao earns. ha ha ha ha. 🙂

Have we made it to the end of the lull? Have we? Have we?

81. arnie says:

motning, Micky. not quite, but we are getting there. 🙂

Don’t doom Arnie, it’s a done deal 🙂

Worst case is a Rant Friday and we’re there

Tell you what, I reckon that was our toughest Interlull, coming off the back of the Anderlecht and Swansea games, and yet we, the loyal and faithful band of Brothers and Sisters have fought through the gloom with heads high and upper lips stiff.

Bloody marvellous is what we are.

Oh, alright, so the site may have descended way below it’s normal high standards of decency on occasion, but hey 🙂

and who started it 🙂

Only the matter of United and Dortmond and the softies at Stoke next.

Needs smuts, I suppose

87. arnie says:

The celebration of earthly sins

Where’s Wally

Working, eeeeeek.
    Bye

Needs smuts, I suppose 🙂

And morning Chas and Crystals

91. arnie says:

only on Bondi

Arnie
    And now Dali…. you’ve been in Spain for too long. Next you’ll be chucking donkeys off church towers 🙂

Bloody hell Arnie, we’re trying to behave.

One more is ok, but it must be your last, so make it a cracker

Micky. Not Dali …. H. Bosch. Just a few hundred years earlier 🙂

No reason or relevance. Just felt like it

BTW I would say the girls are inviting a tackle and some foul play

Raddy
    Are you referring to the “Where’s Wally” pic? 🙂

Ok, my big bad. Still, in that case hate Bosch as much as Dali 🙂

98. arnie says:

Raddy at 7:31. 🙂

“BTW I would say the girls are inviting a tackle and some foul play”

Ha ha and meow 🙂 Or are they trying to “charm” us by colliding into each other? Mind you, that’d work for me 🙂

Arnie
    Is there a donkey up that tower, or what?

arnie – The Dead is dead. When he went to Barca I had no bad feelings against him. But to join Chelsea is unforgivable. I really have to remove his picture from the wall. shame, because it is a great photo – perhaps I will stick somebody else’s head on Dead’s body in front of our crowds? Santi me thinks

“Which cheek was it Dud? It was the left upper” LoL

arnie. Did you take that photo?

NB. Good to see Her Maj taking the Sitting Buddah pose.

it is a BIG DAY today – my granddaughter is 1 !!! Happy Birthday Bubba xx I have to brag a bit – she is always happy, cheerful, content, confident, pure joy 🙂 She will be a perfect Arsenal supporter

NB
    I really like the sense of perspective in your paintings.
    Wish I had been an artist. Genuinely.

snap Mr DidIt, I regret not being able to express myself artistically. I would probably be morbid to view, read or listen to, but so are Dali, Beckett and Cohen 🙂

107. arnie says:

Happy birthday, “By Far The Greatest Baby Girl” Gooner! 🙂 🙂

Raddy. No, not a photo taken by me, but a view that I saw yesterday. 🙂

Micky. They are reaching out up to the hole above! 😛

Eddie. Agreed. But not to speak ill of the dead. 😛

arnie – did Peaches tell you how much Nicole loves your present? she always goes back to it, one of her favourites

109. arnie says:

Evonne. Thank you, you just made my day! 🙂

110. micky

It has it’s benefits but also it’s quite a burden, that’s why Eddie has highlighted Dali, Beckett and Cohen. Angst goes hand in hand with creativity.

111. arnie says:

NorthBank @ 8:21. 🙂 🙂 🙂

arnie 🙂 ask Peaches, the box went to Dubai with them

Tomorrow. The Mancs have even more injuries than us, should be easy, no? Is the traitor fit?

NB – it is a fine line between a genius and a psycho 🙂

114. Eddie

I’m definitely no genius, I just paint……….. so I must be a psycho 🙂

115. arnie says:

highly recommended.

116. arnie, here is the one that was too small for your failing eyesight yesterday: My version of the Great Masterbator. And Peaches, it is Art, not smut 🙂

117. arnie says:

The best docu-feature I have seen in a long time. And the focus is on creativity. 🙂

118. arnie says:

very nice, NorthBank. 🙂

nb – that’s your painting??!! Seriously?

120. arnie says:

Really very very nice. 🙂

121. Yes Eddie, I’m afraid it is 🙂

Here’s one which is much more in tune with my karma, called: Siesta

122. arnie says:

sorry, NorthBank, maybe not the right place to ask. but is this on the market?

123. See, I’m not just an ex-con. psycho…….. ha ha 🙂

124. arnie says:

I meant the Dali inspired one! 😛

fecking ‘ell, I love it!! And there is me thinking that you are just another dirty old man 🙂 The colours are amazing. Do you exhibit your paintings?

you also have long memory 🙂 apologies xx

127. arnie, yes it’s still available, I’ll e mail you. If your e mail is a good one on my site.

Eddie, I have to exhibit and sell to keep me in wine and cigarettes. But a lot of my sales these days are by word of mouth.

128. arnie says:

yes, NorthBank, good man. 🙂

129. But I’m also a dirty old man… just ask my models 🙂

Morning all, sorry I don’t want to interfere with all the morning banter by talking about the football side of Chas’ post but just wanted to thank Chas for it. I have trouble with these best ever teams as I am always questioning who I have left out. I went with NB’s team from earier yesterday, but then what to do with Wright and Overmars??

Anyway enough of that silly football talk, back to the banter.

NB
    I do have a very creative side which I employ in my work all the time, but this angst you refer to seems to intercept signals from brain to hands, so can’t paint . Tragically 😦

nb 🙂 keep painting, just don’t cut off your ears 🙂

133. micky

Painting is all about dexterity… brain -hand, hand -brain. It’s always been like that for me……… in more ways than one 🙂
    oh shite, back to smut ha ha

People are creative in life in many different ways… doesn’t always have to be artistic.

Gooner B……… I had problems with that team as well, and Wrighty

There is a fine line between genius and madness, so said Arsene Wenger when interviewed by The Jewish Chronicle 😉

135. If I did that Eddie I’d be a knot ear 🙂

NB Like both the Dali references and the message of the painting. As you portray Bankers = W…..

I never think of myself as artistic but I can play a guitar just like a ringing bell! Trouble is all my playing is so derivative and in my eyes a real artist is someone who can learn from others to create something new – which is a talent I sadly lack.

I have discussed this with many fellow musicians; to non-players we sound fantastic but with knowledge we know our limitations.

I am travelling over the w/e so better try and get the PM written ….

137. Raddy

I can relate to that, my work is often based on what has gone before, to try to examine other artists work, what they were trying to achieve and to see if I can put another slant on their work.

Eddie, if you are interested, look at my Art site, I’ve not really kept it going but my post about the process of a painting may interest you:

138. arnie says:

NorthBank. The process is generally the same in all creative activity. As Kelsey says, in innovations in football, and as Raddy says, in music.

It is exactly the same in research as well. Together with the nasty parts that you do not mention – clubs, fights, egos, ….. 😛

NB
    Love the “process” article.

140. Yes indeed arnie

those who are not given the opportunity to express their creativity become angry and rebellious, it took me years ton realise this. When I was younger I was classed as a bit of a nutter, fighting, kicking against the system. I could rant on all day about how the education system fails kids who are creative but not academic.

141. micky

You can understand that the majority of work in creating a painting is thinking and drinking 🙂

142. arnie says:

NorthBank. “thinking and drinking”, and ……. 😛 where are the other engines of creativity? 😛

143. ha ha arnie

After the thinking and the drinking, they should just appear and inspiration is born 🙂

Well that;s my excuse anyway

Post sent
    A short Rant Friday intro

Arsene Wenger says Theo Walcott’s injury is a tight groin. Will keep him out of the Man United game. @SkySportsNewsHQ

he must have been reading NB’s blog. Giroud set to play with a pair of crutches and Welbeck is a doubt hahaha, you couldn’t make it up.

146. Kelsey

Perhaps Campbell will eventually get a chance? Not ideal, with Welbeck and Walcott unavailable, but we still have Sanchex, Ox and sanogo 🙂

Didn’t Campbell score against United last year and yes there is our prolific goal scorer Sanogo 🙂

148. arsenal says:

An outstanding share! I’ve just forwarded this onto a friend who was doing a little homework on this.
    And he in fact bought me dinner because I found it for him…

lol. So allow me to reword this…. Thank YOU for the meal!!

But yeah, thanx for spending time to discuss this subject here on your internet site.