Did Jack do it for you?

We’ve had lots of discussion about Jack Wilshere on this site. Some feel that he has slowed the teams progress down while he’s played himself back to match fitness and others have followed the ‘Jack’s a genius’ tag religiously in the hope (and expectation) that the player we saw with our own eyes all those months ago against Barcelona would return.

This season Jack has been awesome and annoying in equal measure. He’s still a target for rotational fouling by all teams and gets very little protection from the referees. But I wonder if after the recent displays for England – and last night, again, he ran the show in quite a stunning way – there will be a call to protect him. A silent call of course, we wouldn’t want any of our players to be namby pambies but it’s nice to think that Jack could just get on with his game rather than sitting on the turf.

JW

He played some beautiful passes last night and if he can be consistent I know that I’m going to love watching him. His ball for Oxlade-Chamberlain’s goal in last night’s game was sublime. It was good to hear The Ox saying how the manager had said that if the players can get into the positions Jack will find them.

Congratulations have to be given to The Ox as well for being in the right place at the right time.

Ball over the top, to feet, to back of the net. Lovely stuff. Can’t wait for Saturday.

I have to admit to heaping criticism on Jack’s young shoulders and I’m sorry to have doubted that he had a place in our team.

Lets have a Jack love-in. Did Jack do it for you?

Written by peachesgooner

201 Responses to Did Jack do it for you?

1. micklively says:

He certainly played very well last night.

Thanks peaches. I’ve been very impressed with Jack in the last 2 games and there is a lesson Arsenal can learn from this. He’s not a No. 10 but he could be an excellent deep lying playmaker. Does he perform well in a 2 as part of a 4:2:3:1? – maybe not. He needs space and runners – but also intelligent players around him making runs and covering if he goes forward

Cheers, peaches.
    Jack certainly did it for me last night. I think he spent less time on his derriere, too.

Didn’t England play 4-2-3-1 last night? Wilshere and Milner behind Downing/Lallana, Ox and Welbeck with Fatty up front?

Peaches. Agreed.

Did you notice how in the first half both Naismith and the Scottish captain (don’t know his name but he looks like a throwback) attacked all our MF’s and at one time slammed into both Shaw and JW?

The miscreant Naismith did the same when we played at Goodison when he was a one man wrecking ball. Horrible player who should be at Stoke.

JW’s performances for England certainly open the discussion for him being the back of the midfield diamond. However, there must be a reason why Mr Wenger doesn’t trust him there.

Furthermore, it has to be said that both Slovenia and Scotland are mid-table Championship sides. Let’s see JW control the game against MU and BD then I will be convinced.

5. arnie says:

Lovely stuff, Peaches. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes indeed, Jack the enigma! Last season there were perhaps a few too many things going on, and Jack was clearly irritable and distracted.

This year his England form has been good. Was it Micky who urged the England Jack to turn up, rather than the Union Jack or the Gooner Jack?

As far as I am concerned, Jack has to find a place in the Arsenal team. He will get his chances, he just has to put in a series of performances and seal it!

Yes, he is a victim of rational fouling, but by my book, Jack is partly to blame. He has to learn how to leave the ball and get the feet away early. Until such time, it is a bit tricky IMO.

Of course, there will be better protection in Europe. So, bring on Dortmund, and bring on knockout stages of the CL. Let us see what mettle he is made of. COYG. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

peaches

I didn’t see either game but listened in part to both.

My question is that as Wenger and Hodgeson appear to see Jack’s best position differently how will that effect his game for Arsenal.
    Not all players can be versatile.Can Jack ?

7. G’day all,

What a treat? A post from Peaches, thank you.

Hmm did Jack do it for me? Well last night he did, that’s not to say he always does though.

Last night he wasn’t trying to carry the ball through the entire Scottish defence, so he didn’t run up too many blind alleys. By sensibly moving around the pitch he was able to avoid some pretty wild attempts at tackles and play some fine passes, particularly the one for Oxlade-Chamberlain’s goal.

I think I prefer this deeper lying role, it gives him the opportunity to play the killer pass more often, I’m looking forward to seeing a fit again Walcott getting on to the end of some of them.

Where he plays and what role he fills is down to Wenger, I just hope that our manager can finally decide just what to do with Jack.

8. Enigma by Salvador Dali

9. arnie

I didn’t want to put the real title, in case I was accused of more smut ๐Ÿ™‚

10. arnie says:

NorthBank. I am in Reina Sofia at the moment. ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Lovely Peaches……. to the rescue.

I love Jack and he often does it for me. But so unpredictable from one game to the next. Lets hope his England form spills over into our games.

12. arnie

Will you visit the museum of Art? Picasso and Dali, it has Pablos Guernica.

13. arnie, this is my attempt at a Dali-esque type painting, it’s called: The Great Masturbator ๐Ÿ™‚

14. ok right, let’s get back onto Jack. I can’t understand why AW doesn’t play him similar to the way he is played for England. Can someone explain why?

15. The Cockie Monster says:

I`m getting no picture from your post @ 12:52 pm, `69er !……………only a photo of your avatar mug above…The Great Masturbator !. hahaha

16. The Cockie Monster says:

I did try a comment about Jack and tried again, but they disappeared, lets try again.

Thanks Peach !.
    It`s seems to me that Jacky Boy is currently more consistent with England than Arsenal. I don’t want to complicate what is a very simple game, but just recently England have been pressing high chasing down opponents defenders, could this be a reason for Jacks consistency with England, where at Arsenal, only Alexis seems to put in a shift at the pressing !.
    Wenger is on record in saying that Jacks game is best suited to a deep lying midfielder…..is deep lying different from DM beast ?, if so, can you have a B2B, DM and a deep lying midfielder in one team ?. No park the bus references please !.
    I liked it when it was a simple game !.

17. Cockie

Well that just about sums it up ha ha ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank goodness that Lake Ontario protects us in Southern Ontario, yesterday Buffalo, New York which is a mere 80 miles south west of us got between 3/4 feet of snow while we only got a dusting of about 3 inches here in London, Ontario.

19. Bit quiet today so here’s a story for you. Are you sitting comfortably?

The Worldโ€™s Shortest Fairy Tale.

Once upon a time a young man asked a girl โ€œWill you marry meโ€. โ€œNoโ€ she replied, and the young man rode motorcycles, watched Arsenal home and away, drank beer and ate curries, had money in the bank, left the toilet seat up, farted when he liked and lived happily ever after.

The End.

20. GN5

Oh dear………. snow, here I see it about one or two days a year. I really miss it ๐Ÿ™‚

Love your upbeat post Peaches.

How long has it been since 6 players from one club have been in an England side? – let alone 6 from Arsenal?.

It’s typical of the media’s attitude towards both Arsenal and Arsene, when we only had a few English players in our side we were mocked and blamed as being one of the reasons that England was not producing enough quality players.

Now we have 6 players in the team – what do we hear from the media. bugger all!!!

Double standards – you bet there are,

22. Norfolk

It took me 45 years to finally come to that conclusion…. I’m a happy beer drinking, curry eating, rich fecker who farts copiously whilst the toilet seat is up and who watches the arsenal without any grief from a woman. The motorcycle, I’m not sure about. ๐Ÿ™‚

NB,

We got our first snow flurries about 10 days back, and in all likelihood we will have snow on the ground until March, 2015.

The temperature this morning is -10c.

NB,

Fortunately my wife, family and friends all realize that I have a severe Arsenal addiction and they have all proven to be fantastic enablers. With the advent of satellite TV and then the PVR I simply cannot remember the last time a missed a game.

25. Brass Monkeys GN5………. bugger that for a game of Jackos!

I haven’t even put my heating on yet. Today I went out in just a sweat shirt……… short sleeved of course, and arnie is in Spain and walking about in shorts and vest.

26. The Cockie Monster says:

Not to “diss” your paintings, `69er, as I think they are brilliant, but on Sunday, I went to an Xmas Bizarre and there was this guy selling drawings of everything, houses, plants, people, animals and they were so detailed that I actually thought they were black and white photos !……..yet I see Lowry and Van Gogh stuff and they are not as technical and skilful as this bloke who is a no-body !. Why is it that some of these great known artists can paint stuff that to me is akin to something that I reckon a child might have painted and be praised by a load of vocabulary grandeur and this highly skilful geezer has to work at the local recycle centre !.

PS
    Another one that gets up my nose is all that wine tasting bollox………”yes, this one has a sweet nutty aroma ! “………..yes !, you ponce, that’s because my dog dipped his bollocks in your glass while you were not looking !. hahaha

27. NB, An hour, this morning, walking around our local forest, mild, sunny, very wet underfoot and I was really enjoying it, until the dog found some fresh horse s**t to roll in. How do you de-oderise a stinking mutt? ๐Ÿ˜€

28. RC78 says:

IMHO, I think he is a potentially great player but he has not demonstrated enough yet to justify a starteing berth at AFC…

I, actually, think that OX has surpassed him as an overall player but even as a box-to-box midfielder…

And IMHO, Ox should start every game as box-to-box once Walcott is back on the right wing…

Roll him in 3 feet of snow NG!!

30. Hey! Cockie, much (modern) art is like the story of The King’s New Clothes, nobody wants to seem like a philistine so they don’t say what they really think.

Emin’s Dirty Bed! Is that art? A load of old b******s in my opinion!

31. The Cockie Monster says:

Only just started to rain here and had been mucking out the stables in T-Shirt and shorts. Caught site in the field of my Acer rubrum “October Glory”, it looks stunning, but might have to call it a November Glory as mine always seems to be in a blaze of red in November !.

Like this one !.

Thanks Peaches. I have always been a pro Jack as many of you are aware. My opinion on him and his best position has not changed. In fact it is enhanced last night and based on my analysis of his good and bad games for both Arsenal and England.

It was interesting that last night Milner seemed to play as a deep lying defensive midfielder which I have always championed for him and I don’t know why he has not been used there before. I never felt he was suited to the more attacking or wide roles even though he is decent in those positions. He looks far more a potential English Danielle De-Rossi to me.

Milner playing the role he did is important in how I saw Jack last night. IMO Jack should play as part of a deeper 2 DM’s but with him having more free licence to play in different areas of the pitch and his partner having a more disciplined DM role. For me Jack good and bad performances are largely due to which DM role he plays and more importantly who partners him.

The important thing for me is that the player who partners Jack must be of suitable technical quality but more importantly must be a reasonably powerful and quick workhorse. At Arsenal I feel Jack generally plays better with Flamini than Arteta because Flamini is more that workhorse. The problem is that Flamini is limited technically and is slowing down. Artetas defensive limitations tends to limit Jack to his free role to influence the game as he too often has to drop back and double up on the defensive duties.

Pre-world cup games and the Costa Rica games saw Jack partner Lampard who is not a disciplined DM partner. Result – Jack not as effective.

He has played with Henderson when Jack has been made the disciplined DM and Henderson the freer role. Result – Jack not as effective. When the roles were somewhat reversed recently Jack played well.

Jack needs his Gilberto at Arsenal. Give him someone like a Lars Bender to partner him and I think you will see a consistent performer in Jack at the highest level.

BTW Peaches I know you knew that this subject would draw me out from whatever stone I was hiding under. Don’t think your devious mind escaped me.

34. Cockie

One of the mysteries of the Art World I’m afraid. As in football, money rules, or should I say Monet rules ๐Ÿ™‚ Often it’s not what you know but who you know. I think Damion Hirst is crap, but he was in the right place at the right time, he did a Andy Warhol and Jackson Pollock’s your uncle, he’s a rich bastard now.
    I don’t give a Gustaf Klimt, I’m just happy to be able to paint and enjoy my Edvard Munch and have women model naked for me. Perhaps in the future, after I’m brown bread, my work will be well known and some rich cunnut will earn even more from it. But what will I care…. the life of a starving artist, I just look at David James and think, that could have been me ๐Ÿ™‚

35. GN%,

It’s currently 11 degrees and sunny here in Norfolk, snow is just a distant memory, she’ll just have to stink until mid-January if I follow your advice. ๐Ÿ˜€

36. The Cockie Monster says:

Just had to google that, NG……and your right, what a load of bollox and it sold for $3.77M !!!……..I wish I had more money than sense like these bastards !………shut it `69er !….that`s before you say that the 30 bob in my pocket means my wish is true !. hahaha

37. Question of the day.

Why is ‘abbreviated’ such a long word?

NG,

We miss the 4 seasons in England – but not much else.

Our lives in North America have been very rewarding and we have been able to experience so much more than we could have if we had remained in England. We have absolutely no regrets in leaving England behind – with the very notable exception of the Arsenal – and of course dogs stinking the house out for 5/6 months.

39. Norfolk

That’s a question for Redders I think?

40. GunnerN5

And of course Oldershaw Road……….

41. RC78 says:

GN5 – I lived in the US for 4 years but I was happy to come back to a European life. I missed (WARNING – CLICHES COMING) Europe’s people’s sarcasm, lifestyle and their down-to-earth attitude and the fact that in little time, you can have Italian dolce vitta or an Austrian schnitzel ๐Ÿ™‚ When I was in the US, I loved the people’s energy, drive and the beautiful landscapes but I got tired of the small talks about what ppl have/earn, how much extra-curricular activities they do or kids do…A lot of “living up to the appearances”, which did my head in. That said, I never lived in the UK but I feel that British people are a lot funnier and more inclined to know about you than about what you earn or what you do for a living…

What do you think?

NB,

RA is not known for anything that is abbreviated! You may have opened the door to a very long and expressive response.

43. RC78

The americans don’t know what a Cliches is, they can’t find it! we Europeans know how to lick a cliche ๐Ÿ™‚ that’s why so many americans come to Europe.

44. The Cockie Monster says:

Redders response should be binned then ! ๐Ÿ˜†

45. Why is it possible to read the word, ‘Invisible’

46. RC78 says:

or to mispel? :-p

RC78,

We absolutely detested the class distinction that still remains a part of British society to this day. I was born on the wrong road (Gillespe) with the wrong accent (North London) and inadequate schooling (quit at 14 to earn money for the family) – these were circumstances that were beyond my control.

I think the boiling point was when I made a reservation at an expensive west end restaurant, when we arrived I gave our names and the first question they asked was could I show them that I had enough money on me (which I did) to cover the potential tab – we were so disgusted that we turned our backs on him and left. I assumed that based on my accent I was deemed to be an undesirable………….

We decided to take our chances and emigrated to Canada, and have never looked back. Canada allowed me the opportunity to develop based on my ability regardless of my background, education or accent.

48. The Cockie Monster says:

`69er !……I notice on your profile that you say…..” Dad, Grandad and brother all the same ! “………explain !.
    I know you say you`re in the South of France, but that sounds more like you`re in Cornwall….. you sure you`re not one of my Cornish farmer neighbours !. hahaha

49. ha ha Cockie

Just because you live in Somerset and with your family, doesn’t mean that I’m inbred as well……….. ๐Ÿ™‚

50. RC78 says:

Seems Canada is a good land of opportunities for people, especially Brits and French and I am glad it was kind to you and your folks. I was recently thrown out of a club in London for reporting a racist incident…I was in schock as in Europe, we look up to the UK in the sphere of fight against racism and integration model.

51. The Cockie Monster says:

Oi !…..I`m in Cornwall…best Country in the Union !. ๐Ÿ™‚

52. What union? ffs, it’s all falling apart, Botland want independence, the Welsh hate us, the Irish want to kill us and the muslims want to take over! What fucking union……… it’s all gone tits up. Sorry, thats my political side of brain going a bit doolaly……… I’m sane really ๐Ÿ™‚

53. Why do supermarkets make sick people walk all the way to the back of the store to get their prescriptions, but sell cigarettes at the front?

54. RC78 says:

If I were English, I would favour the disintegration of the UK.

The Scots joined the UK because they needed to be bailed out, it is not like the English imposed this UK on them…Seems like the situation is totally reverse…The Scots did not have the bagpipe or the kilts – again, it is an English thing that was just more popular up north…

If you look at the GDP/capita of each UK Members, you realize that Scotland will just drown very quickly…They cannot sustain a governing structure and they will be hit massively by the loss of all government jobs that are relocated there…

Again, the England’s taxpayers (esp. London and Manchester) money cover a lot of the costs for the rest of the UK, including Scotland and Wales.

I think the referendum should be submitted to the England residents:

– Do you still want to be part of the Union given the fact that you subsidize Wales and Scotland?

In a nutshell, I feel that the England taxpayers are doing everyone else a big favour by staying in the Union. It is not profitable for them to stay in it. Without Wales and Scotland to carry on their shoulders, England taxpayers will see a lot more for their money than do now. As a result, the NHS would be better and the schooling system as well and maybe the gov’t could afford even more regional revival/development…

55. RC 78, I suspect that if the independence referendum had been open to the whole of the UK, Scotland would now be preparing to go it alone. I know that I, for one, would be happy to wave them goodbye and stop subsidising them with the taxes on my pension.

RC78,

And as a consequence of not having to support the Scots, Irish and Welsh there would be money left over to take care of the Muslims and Eastern Europeans that are flocking into England?

But enough of politics………………

57. enough… GN5 is right, let’s get back to football where politics have no influence ๐Ÿ™‚

58. The Cockie Monster says:

I know nothing about politics……yes !, I know, I know nothing about football either !. hahaha……saying that, I thought the Sweaty Socks missed an opportunity last night by not mowing the pitch in a tartan pattern and wearing a tartan kit to make them selves invisible !.

59. The Cockie Monster says:

I watched PMQ this morning on the BBC for the first time and it was quite funny and although I don’t follow any political party, Cameron was much more witty than Miliband and made him look an idiot, shame as I`m sure I heard Miliband is a Gooner !.

I see members of parliament more like a pack of playing cards, as it doesn`t matter how many times you shuffle them, you will always be dealt a Joker !.

The reason ‘abbreviation’ meaning a shortened version of a word is quite long, is because it has been ‘tinkered’ with.

It originates from the Latin word ‘brevis’ (can you see it) and some pillock tried to make it clear by adding ‘ab’ meaning ‘to’, and of course modern English tries to make clear word meanings, so added ‘ated’ to show it was the past participle of the verb.

There – that was brief – oops – ‘brief’ comes from the Latin ‘braves’ too. ๐Ÿ™‚

There are many words that seem to contradict their meaning — another old chestnut – like ‘abbreviation’ – is ‘infinitesimal’ meaning tiny or extremely small. Doh! ๐Ÿ™‚

Go ahead, you wind-up merchants, let’s see you prรฉcis that! ๐Ÿ˜€

braves = brevis — Bollix. ๐Ÿ™‚

62. So Bollix is an abbreviation of Bollocks, and tiny is an abbreviation of infinitesimal, so what is the past participle of the verb, Cockie?

63. RC78 says:

GN5 – As for Eastern European migration to England particularly – the whole of Europe is affected by it, especially Austria, Germany, Netherlands, Sweden and France and ironically, Spain and Italy as well…

I am definitely a pro-UE and it would be a very idiotic thing for England to get out of the EU for a few simple reasons:

1. EU is the biggest trading block in the world;

I will not statute on immigrants from a particular religion…

The comments on here today are like the 2 Ronnies sketch where one answers the question from the preceeding question ๐Ÿ™‚

65. RA, I quite liked your abreviated explanation of why abreviation is such a long word, but why did you feel it necessary to only give us the abreviated version?

I’m looking forward to reading the full unexpurgiated (that is the unabreviated0 version soon. Please. ๐Ÿ˜€

RC78,

You see how lucky we are in Canada, 5 months of snow keeps our immigration nice and low.

67. NB, so what is the past participle of the verb, Cockie?…Cocked?

68. The Cockie Monster says:

Braves ?…….Crazy Red Arse !…..”Man who runs in moonlight with dictionary hanging from sore arse chased by big grizzly ” …..How !

69. RC78,

1. EU is the biggest trading block in the world; With which we would still be able to trade.

2. The immigrants from EE also do jobs that native British (including the minorities) are not willing to do and for very competitive wages. Those willing to work and to support themseves would still be welcome

As regards the comment above re Lowry, there are many people who thought and perhaps still do, that he was a talented nut Naรฏve artist.

For example none of his paintings shows the effects of wind, or shadows caused by the sun, and seem to focus on ‘stick’ paintings of humans in their environment. [I may be wrong on that – but that seems true of the Lowry paintings I have seen.

In fact, Lowry was rather more than an amateur, as he studied art at the College of Art in Manchester, under a very good French artist {cannot remember his name, sadly] and his painting style reflects the French impressionist painters of the era – but in a more robust way.

I quite like his work, because it is a style that he intended to shock people with – and that cannot be bad – and he achieved that, I think.

‘True’ art appreciators will be horrified, but I am not too big a fan of Picasso, as most of his work makes everything look like a bad migraine attack, to me, except maybe ‘Les Demoiselles d’Avignon’ — for perhaps obvious reasons. ๐Ÿ™‚

71. RC

I want Europe to stay Europe. And I want England to stay in Europe. If England decide to go down the route of getting out of the EU and of deporting those who have criminal convictions, or have been convicted of criminal convictions in the adopted country then I am in the shit if France do the same. I want to see my retirement out in Provence. I want to stay under the radar, get my benefits and live in the land of sunshine, olives and wine.

72. RA

‘Les Demoiselles d’Avignon were not in Avignon….. though I would disagree ๐Ÿ™‚

73. RC78 says:

NB1969 – There is nothing wrong with retiring in Provence ๐Ÿ™‚ I love this region as well.

In a nutshell –
    — No countries want to allow convicts to immigrate in their countries so somehow judicial data sharing should be made at the European level. Not that complicated in this day and age…

— Brits abroad (and there are quite a lot as well) will be suffering from getting out of the EU

— The EU governance needs to change and some treaties revised but the EU should stay in place – just needs to adopt a real results-oriented and good governance approach and not try to justify its own exisitence…Did you know there was a team dedicated to finding acronyms for EU initiatives?…

74. The Cockie Monster says:

`69er for Madam Guillotine !.

Did Jack play well ? I missed the game but am delighted to hear that our yob is maturing nicely ๐Ÿ™‚

Norther,

I think the naming of his painting is an early example of trying to be ‘posh’ as you Brits might say.

Les Demoiselles dโ€™Avignon shows a study of five nude female prostitutes from a brothel on Carrer d’Avinyรณ in Barcelona, and that is no surprise as Picasso was Spanish. ๐Ÿ™‚

Actually, I was taught that the Spanish words, d’Avinyรณ sound like D’Avignon, and if that is true it is you Brits who are to blame.

Myself, I do not give a sh*t where they were.

77. RC78

I am totally against judicial data sharing…. it’s a crime against human rights ๐Ÿ™‚

RC78

Have you ever been to the Costa del Sol ? There are most probably more ex cons as well as those in hiding than in any other European country.

Those , that are mainly dealers, have the police in their pocket, and conduct their business quite openly, bar the odd shooting here and there.
    Of course the Russians have taken over, and no one gets in their way.

Photo of Jack posted yesterday is simply beautiful
    Photo posted by cockie is surprising – reveals a softer side of the Monster

80. ffs, when I was recently in a French Tribunal for a very small offence of petty violence, if they’d been able to tap into Scotland Yard and see my previous, they would have given me 10 years hard labour on the penal colony of Devils Island French Guiana. So judicial data sharing isn’t something I support. I’m no Papillon ๐Ÿ™‚

81. poigmothoin says:

RC78
    The EU has a workforce of about 55000, committees for just about everything. ๐Ÿ™‚

Why does why start with a w?

82. Eddie

All the hard boys have a softer side………

School-

A Place Where Papa Pays ‘n Son plays.

Life Insurance-

A Contract That Keeps You Poor All Your Life So That You Can Die Rich.

Nurse-

A Person Who Wakes You Up To Give You Sleeping Pills.

Father-

A Banker Provided By Nature.

Experience-

The Name Men Give To Their Mistakes.

Tears-

The Hydraulic Force By Which Masculine Willpower Is Defeated By Feminine Water Power..!!

Smile-

A Curve That Can Set A Lot Of Things Straight.

90. Who started GN5 off……….

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

When you go into court, you are putting yourself in the hands of 12 people who weren’t smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Jack did play well last night and if Arsenal played teams of the standard of Scotland every week then we would all say that Jack played well every week — but we don’t — in fact I think it would be fair to say that Swansea are of a higher calibre than Scotland and that Welsh outfit are not exactly known as world beaters.

I am obviously in the sceptical Jack camp but I suspect over the course of time it has been forgotten why that is.

My beef has always been that he is not an attacking midfielder and he has been largely ineffective when he has played there. My pointing this out has been met with great resistance for quite some time. This has changed as people are now starting to realise that he is more suited to a deeper role.

For the older readers, I once compared Wilshere to Bobby Moore and the role he used to play; well, if you look at his performance last night I feel I got that one spot on.

Still, I am pleased for all concerned as to how the blog has moved on and I wish you all well. The one thing I think we would all agree on is how well Jack Wilshere is maturing.

Cool Teenage Martian: I was at a party on Mercury last night.

His Friend: Was it any good?

Cool Teenage Martian: No! It was really boring.

His Friend: How come?

Cool Teenage Martian: There was no atmosphere.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don’t.

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Alright – I’ll stop.

98. The Cockie Monster says:

Welbeck felt some stiffness in his hamstring and was substituted on 66 minutes, with England head coach Roy Hodgson taking him off as a precaution, despite the forward wanting to carry on playing.

His fitness will now be assessed by the Gunners ahead of the United game which, if he plays, will be the first time he has faced his former club since joining Arsenal for ยฃ16million on transfer deadline day.

100. Was that a positive quote from Cockie regarding AW… or was it a sarcastic post? ๐Ÿ™‚

Hard to say NB but the quote was made a year ago.

102. Dug Fresh says:

JW is a CM always has been and always will be.

Most Players from a Single Club in an England Team

The Record: Arsenal and the Battle of Highbury of 1934

The record is still held by Arsenal, the club side of seven players who lined up for England in the 3-2 friendly match win against reigning World Cup champions Italy at, fittingly enough, Arsenal Stadium in Highbury, London on 14 November 1934. So unfriendly was the match that it became infamous as “the Battle of Highbury.”

Five Arsenal players were originally selected: Frank Moss in goal, captain Eddie Hapgood at left back, Wilf Copping at left halfback, Ray Bowden at inside right and Cliff “Boy” Bastin at inside left. When original choices Tom “Snowy” Cooper, the Derby County right back, and Fred Tilson, the Manchester City centre-forward, were injured the Saturday before the Wednesday Italy encounter, a sixth Arsenal player, right back George Male, and Tottenham Hotspur forward George Hunt were selected to replace them. Hunt, too, then had to withdraw, and the selectors then turned to a seventh Arsenal player, centre-forward Ted Drake, to replace him.

The record of seven players from one club in a starting England lineup has never been equalled. The closest any club has come is the six Liverpool players who started in manager Ron Greenwood’s first match in charge, the scoreless friendly draw against Switzerland on 7 September 1977. The six were Ray Clemence, Phil Neal, Terry McDermott, Emlyn Hughes, Ray Kennedy and Ian Callaghan. Kevin Keegan also started, but he had moved from Liverpool to West Germany’s Hamburger over the summer.

Seven Manchester United players were on the pitch for England for a few minutes at the end of the 3-1 World Cup qualifying win against Albania in Tiranรซ on 28 March 2001, but two of them came on as substitutes. The seven were starters Gary Neville, David Beckham, Nicky Butt, Paul Scholes and Andrew Cole and substitutes Wes Brown, who came on at 29 minutes, and Teddy Sheringham, who arrived at 84 minutes.

104. The Cockie Monster says:

`68er, I was just putting up a Wenger quote ( Official Arsenal Site ) about Jack, as I have been reading elsewhere that Wenger sees him in a more advanced role !. So do I believe other stories or take it from the horses mouth ?. If England are getting the best out of him in such a role and Arsene says that`s his best role, then why isn’t he being played in there for Arsenal or is he ?. Fcuked if I know !. hahaha

This item seems to contradict Wenger.

Peaches, thank you.

I’ve always had Jack in the Manu Petit role, and I’m sticking with it.

I agree with several comments already made. I don’t think Jack is so much a victim of rotational fouling, so much as he invites it. I also agree with comments that we are talking about Slovenia and Scotland, who were not pressing so far up field, and thus allowed Jack more space.

Having said that, he showed what an exquisite passer of the ball he can be, especially with speed merchants ahead.

Back then to tougher League games, and I do believe Jack can perform at England levels, but it absolutely requires a rock solid DM to give him the platform.

How does a player invite a foul? Does he send out a card asking some thug to kick him which is of course a foul and not within the rules of football?

I don’t buy it. What you are saying is that the kicker is in some way justified in laying into JW because he has the guts to run with the ball and dare to beat a less skilful player.

We are fed up with ticki tacki yet you are asking him to do just that. I say take on the player and continue to charm us.

It is the job of the referee to allow JW to play attacking football and censure the miscreants who try and kick him off the pitch

Do you think we should swap Ozil for Draxler?

I would say it is a combination of the both: there is rotational fouling but he also invites more fouls than necessary by holding onto the ball for longer than is needed…………although in his defence, I suppose, he is doing this less and less.

Are we allowed to swap Ozil for Fabregas or does it have to be German for German?

Raddy

“I donโ€™t buy it.”
    Shitballs, you mean I can’t send you a bill? ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

He holds the ball on for too long, and hurtles into people, and usually more than one at a time. I know a foul is a foul, and let’s not forget that he wins an awful lot, but it does mean play stops, and that’s usually to the advantage of the opposition.

Ah ha, bonsoir LB. Hope all good with you.

Swapsies eh Raddy. Endless amount of post mileage there. Ozil for Draxler? Not sure about Draxler.

No mistake, I love Ozil, very much, but world class needs in other depts. and I would consider a swap. To Bayern and we get Marinez makes a lot of sense for all.

Just looked up Martinez

Didn’t know he was 6’3″. Big boy. Nice.
    Bayern paid about what we paid for Mesut. Both injured. Ideal swap.

I’ve said before I reckon Mesut might go back to Germany, so I can’t see anywhere but Munich, and Draxler plays for Schalke, although I know that bit wasn’t in your question.

Oh god, is that Chas or RA. Got me in a right pickle yesterday.

116. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all, nice one Peaches,
    Our Jack had a good night last night and has hit a bit of form, reasonable display against the slovaks, but i am not getting to excited.

Jack to me is a little like Aaron has a good spell then injured , and a lay off for a spell then the bad games and the i’m not up to full fitness of about a dozen games.

Players very seldom change patterns, I cannot see Jack lasting long, just long enough to show what we are losing when not available.

Theo another that has had a long time out, remember what he said before we played the spuds, Dont think i will be ready for the Tottenham game, blimey how long ago was that and he still hasn’t started a game yet.

Aaron another who has stated that i am still not fully fit. What are these not fully fit players doing in the line up, Were a professional outfit, why have these players not got fully fit in the reserves first.

Jack playing deeper may prolong his chances of injury, but mark my words he will be injured again very soon. Arsenal players seem to have short spell of form but they dont last. Danny doesn’t want to be left out so he too may miss a few weeks. God forbid we lose Sanchez

Hi Steve

Well, there’s no arguing that injuries are the biggest single obstacle to this sides development and progress. Nightmare.

Conspiracy theory

Ozil and Martinez due back from injury at the same time. About January ๐Ÿ™‚

Nite

119. arnie says:

Nice day’s blogging. Great stuff. Back to personal stories later, but first things first.

I am with Micky on this. Jack just holds on to the ball too long, and also leaves his foot behind. Some other teams might have benefited from this, but unfortunately we are crap in free kicks.

He should be better protected by the refs in Europe. So let us see him do things in CL then, starting with Dortmund.

120. stevepalmer1 says:

Sorry micky watching the fat bird in the jungle

121. arnie says:

NorthBank. Yes indeed. Guernica, the greatest piece of art ever, IMO, politically conscious and socially relevant, at the same time as being a fantastic artistic expression.

122. arnie says:

And Dali of course. I am not providing an image of “The Enigma of Hitler”, for obvious reasons.

And Miro, and so on. Here is one, not my favourite, but still.

123. arnie says:

NorthBank, your impression of the “le gran masturbador” may actually be a nice one. but the image was too small for me. If you can put one up on your art blog, I will have a look. ๐Ÿ™‚

124. stevepalmer1 says:

If that’s Art Arnie give me Banksey all day long.
    If ididn’t know better i would say that the top one reminds me of all our injuries an anke a leg must be a hamstring there somewhere

125. arnie says:

just when we were about to finish in Reina Sofia, we realised today there was free entry in Prado. ๐Ÿ™‚ Rushed in, packed in a dash of Reubens, Goya, Velasquez, Murillo, Zurbaran, El Greco et al. Great fun. ๐Ÿ™‚

Had to run to catch our train, reached Zaragoza, nice dinner and drinks, now awaiting tomorrow rather nervously. ๐Ÿ˜›

There is a 85 year old gentleman who in many ways is the “father” of a branch of the discipline that I work in. Not only has be been prolific and continues to be so, perhaps twice as productive as an average person, he has also produced at least 20 students each of whom have contributed enormously. So, his contribution really would be about 30 times the average.

I had never met the person before today. His students organise a meeting every second year on his birthday. A big and pleasant surprise then, that I was asked to give the inaugural address at this event this year. This is tomorrow. I am both excited and shit scared. I was introduced to the great man today. It did not help.

Shitting bloody bricks. ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

126. arnie says:

Does not matter that much, Steve. If it had the effect that it had during the Spanish Civil War, it has at least been influential! ๐Ÿ˜›

127. stevepalmer1 says:

Each to their own then Arnie, Picaso with all his abstract, never understood that either, Perhaps i am just not artistic enough

128. arnie says:

Steve, I was likewise and used to think the same way. But a bit of study/ reading helped.

It is impossible to understand anything well by coming straight from the blue. Like for football, likewise art.

Morning

Micky thinks/knows that Ozil will be off, back to Germany.

Would AW let his stubborness/pride let him go, most probably at a loss, for a player who in money terms has cost us the most we have ever spent whilst others like Diaby and even Rosicky he is loyal too, even though they don’t contribute at all.

Arnie
    Good luck at the XX11 Forum ๐Ÿ™‚

Crystals
    I know nothing. A Mate, on the other hands, reckons

Mind you I’d be delighted if he was swapped with Martinez, otherwise I’m expecting the words “for an undisclosed fee” ๐Ÿ™‚ Actually, I’d rather keep him and get Martinez

Mmm, was just looking for a youtube clip of Martinez, and watch the ad before this one. Jack, Per and The Ox

Can’t see the as. Why are we talking Martinez?

Peaches – i didn’t thank you for such great post, sorry. Perfect post in fact – short and sweet (like Jack) and open to discussion (or criticism in Jacks case). Yeah, I remember you having a pop at him in the past and calling him a knacker (in response to my ‘he’s so good looking’) ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m glad you’ve changed your mind – Jack is our future captain, I bet you my pug it will happen

Eddie
    There’s no “we”, just “me”, and I am fantasising. Ignore me, the others do and it works just fine for them.

The ad, not as:)

Really happy the Utd game is a 5pm KO, makes building the weekend at around it so much easier for the arm chair fan.

137. arnie says:

motning all. thank you, Micky. ๐Ÿ˜›

Arnie
    Trick to public speaking is to get the home crowd on side. So, with that in mind, perhaps open with a short Tottenham joke ๐Ÿ™‚

NB
    That’s the one ๐Ÿ™‚

139. Pers sister is a bit of a sort ain’t she ๐Ÿ™‚

5.30p.m. micky ๐Ÿ™‚ You can get at least 2 fags in.

Another great singer dies: Jimmy Ruffin

NB: has she got a long waterfall ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ha ha NB, yes she is. Got to love the Jack and Ox Dads as well.

143. Is that Jacks Dad? I thought he said it was Uncle Kenny?

144. I wandered… lonely….like a daffodil ๐Ÿ™‚

I have just polished my ball and it tells me a reasonably high scoring game on Saturday something like 3-2 hopefully Danny will score though the eerie silence if he is injured or not is a bit disturbing.

146. arnie says:

Micky. I suppose a Real Zaragoza joke will be really inappropriate. How about a Franco joke, or perhaps one on the Catalan referendum (or absence of)! ๐Ÿ˜›

147. arnie says:

Kelsey, hope your balls are shining bright and clear.

A brace by Welbeck and no celebration will be good. Proof that you can take some Mancunians (very special ones) out of the North West, and the Manchester character disappears as well. ๐Ÿ˜›

Cracking ideas Arnie.
    Perhaps an Armada Gag. Bet there’s one out there somewhere ๐Ÿ™‚

149. Kelsey, so you finally admit it, you only have one ball? ๐Ÿ™‚

Not with this “no celebration” thing.
    What Danny could do post scoring is hurtle over to the Utd bench, and moon LVG.

Crystals
    You haven’t been polishing your ball at all, have you. Just looked at the two defences and the two attacks ๐Ÿ™‚

152. arnie says:

Micky. mooning Vandal, ah thats different! ๐Ÿ˜›

BTW, I wonder whether our very own LBG has been encouraged to change his blog name. Sounds a bit close to the Dutch Vandal by me! ๐Ÿ˜›

Does anyone have a few words to use for today’s post?

We’re almost out of the Interlull ………..

I am not allowed to answer that NB as peaches mum is watching the site very very closely ๐Ÿ™‚

Don’t spoil it micky and I didn’t say which way 3-2 or 2-3 ๐Ÿ˜‰

a few words like AKB = Arsene knew best ๐Ÿ™‚

156. I think it’s fine for Danny to celebrate at home in front of his own fans, if he wants to be low key when he scores at Old Trafford that’s up to him ๐Ÿ˜€

I really am trying to think of something Peaches.

Damn, just one explosive line would do. Ummmmm

Come on lads, any ideas?

I’ve got 12 minutes left ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

When peaches comments just after me I have this strange image of our two avatars together so shortly I will be on Strictly come Dancing. ๐Ÿ™‚

161. micky

How about: FREE FOR ALL……… and just see what happens?

162. arnie says:

Hodgson says he would encourage the selection of Wilshere, Chambers and Ox to play in the U21 Euros. Comments? Plus, of course, there is Sanogo. ๐Ÿ™‚

No NB, because I have a sneaky suspicion I know exactly what would happen with that title ๐Ÿ™‚

164. arnie says:

Micky, er, smut-meister. ๐Ÿ™‚ yes, you would know of course! ๐Ÿ˜›

165. And here was I thinking that micky was a risk taker……….. but obviously not ๐Ÿ™‚

166. The Cockie Monster says:

I could write a few words on Manure !……………my wife`s horses shit a lot and I stink, but my Roses are doing well !.

167. Here is something for risk takers. As an ex-climber I love it, wish I was younger. If you are scared if heights, turn away now:

168. arnie says:

Cockie. ๐Ÿ™‚

169. Go on Cockie man…….. a post about horse shit and nice roses sounds good ๐Ÿ™‚

170. poigmothoin says:

Arnie
    You might get thrown out but…..
    History tells us that in1558 Sir Francis Drake played bowls on Plymouth Ho, while awaiting the armada.
    It also tells us that historians are terrible at spotting a euphemism.

171. arnie says:

Query of the day. Why are horse owners not required to clean up the dung after their pets, while dog owners are expected to do so?

172. arnie says:

Poig. ๐Ÿ™‚ very likely.

173. arnie. when I was young in Islington, people used to go out into the street with shovels after the police horse went by, to shovel the shit for there allotments. Don’t do that for dog shit ๐Ÿ™‚

174. The Cockie Monster says:

Funny that Poigy !…..the other day I was on Plymouth Ho playing with my bowls waiting for a bus to the Armada Shopping Centre at about 15:58 pm !………they didn`t erect a statue of me, yet for how long I was waiting, the fcukers could have carved one out of stone !.

175. arnie says:

Northbank and Cockie. ๐Ÿ™‚ have to go now. laters.

176. The Cockie Monster says:

When `69er was a young pennyless runt , he used to squat next to the horse and dog on the street and have a crap, the only difference was `69er was reading the evening standard !. hahaha

177. Cockie, the evening standard had a purpose when you had a crap in those days :-0

178. The Cockie Monster says:

`69er @ 9:04am…………………”As an ex-climber I love it !”……………….ex-climber !….fcuk off !…..ex-burgler and we`re getting closer to the truth !. hahaha

179. But never a bum burgler like you cockie man ๐Ÿ™‚

180. Peaches….. get a new post up quickly, before me and cockie get into the toilet humour that your Mum is not going to like ๐Ÿ™‚

181. How did Ozil get such a sexy woman ๐Ÿ™‚

182. Enough toilet humour boys!

183. ha ha Peaches… as if that will stop us;

Petr Cech

Chelsea have agreed a deal in principle to sell Petr Cech to Arsenal in January.

Cech’s future at Chelsea has been the subject of huge speculation following the return of Thibaut Courtois to the club.

Courtois, who returned in the summer from three seasons on-loan at Spanish champs Atletico Madrid, has replaced Cech as manager Jose Mourinho’s No.1 and started all 11 of Chelsea’s Premier League matches.

And reports suggest the Blues have decided to end Cech’s 10 year spell at Stamford Bridge and have agreed terms with Arsenal for the goalkeeper.

———————————————————————————–

Do you think there is substance to this as I have seen several papers mention this.If so what about Ospina is he crippled for good.

I for one think Szsney needs competition and could also learn a lot from Cech.

Could make a post ?

185. ‘morning all,

We need to keep this conversation going in order to get Peaches 200 comments.

191 and counting…

186. Jack is reorted to have asked Wenger if he could play the holding mid-fielder role, Wenger’s answer NO!

187. Kelsey, do you think Cech would understudy Szczesny, or the other way round?

189. phew…… that got me and cockie out of gaol:-)

No more Cockie man……….. that’s enough. We can carry on the fun at my blog ๐Ÿ™‚

190. New Post everyone ………….

191. arnie says:

199 and …

192. arnie says:

200. ๐Ÿ˜›

193. If you wish for to improve your experience only keep
    visiting this web page and be updated with the hottest gossip posted here.