Crocked crockery and nail-biting times!

This week I was knot ear, being locked away in a modern prison cell with no public internet access and a firewall that steadfastly refused to allow access to Arsenal Arsenal. For three days, 18 of us from 11 different countries stayed cloistered in a huddle trying to solve a few puzzles which probably mattered to no one. Except that it earned each of us our keep!

Topic enough for a rant no doubt, but it got me thinking. It was not bad, was it! Diverse cultures, languages and accents, ways of thinking, mannerisms, preferences in food, drink and attire. It must be a bit of the same in Arsenal. It is beautiful on the field as well, when it clicks.

Arsene was in the news this week talking about this diversity.

“Most of the time, yes [I can tell where they are from],” Wenger told Arsenal Player. “There’s specificity.

“In Spain they are good passers with good technique, in Germany they have good mobility and efficient technique and in England they have a good fighting spirit.

“The emphasis is on defending well in Italy – they are well known for defending well and doing a lot of tactical work at the youth level in training.

“I don’t know why goalkeepers are so good in Poland but usually these Eastern European countries do a lot of gymnastics at a young age to develop flexibility and awareness of your body. Maybe when they go into goalkeeping they benefit from it.”

All of this is fine, except that our beloved team is almost like a collection of crocked crockery, not much use in cooking a great game, but a beautiful sight on the display cabinet. Till only recently, it was a decent alternate team, and is not that bad even now.

Surprising then, but also a matter of great honour I am sure, that we have 15 players called up for their national sides for the international games over the fortnight long international break.

6 for England. Calum Chambers, Kieran Gibbs, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Theo Walcott, Danny Welbeck and Jack Wilshere have been called up to Roy Hodgson’s England squad for their Euro 2016 qualifier against Slovenia and their friendly in Scotland.

Joel Campbell completed 86 minutes in a friendly away to Costa Rica, setting up Bryan Ruiz for Costa Rica’s second goal in a 3-3 draw.

Yaya Sanogo captained France Under-21s in a 1-1 draw away to Italy Under-20s, and a game against England Under-21s awaits.

Wojciech Szczesny has retained his place in the Poland squad for their Euro 2016 qualifier in Georgia and their friendly against Switzerland.

Lukas Podolski played all the 90 minutes Germany’s 4-0 disaster against Gibraltar, and will likely feature in their friendly in Spain.

Aaron Ramsey has been named in the Wales squad that travels to Belgium for the next stage in their Euro 2016 qualifying campaign.

Alexis Sanchez is playing for Chile in their friendlies against Venezuela and Uruguay.

Santi Cazorla has been named in the Spain squad for their Euro 2016 qualifier against Belarus and their friendly against Germany.

And finally, Tomas Rosicky has been called up to the Czech Republic squad for their friendly against Iceland.

OK, we all understand it is a great honour to play for your country. And sometimes international games can be entertaining nail biting affairs as recently witnessed in the World Cup.

But, why so many friendlies? It is probably fair that, with an injury situation as scary as ours, the only nails we Gooners are probably going to bite is in the hope that the break passes off in an uneventful manner.

Whither the spirit of national pride and the celebration of national heroes? Under the circumstances, perhaps a NO THANKS, then?

Arnie.

140 Responses to Crocked crockery and nail-biting times!

1. spamhead says:

Interesting, Arnie. 🙂

What puzzles were you trying to solve in the modern prison cell?
    Where does the cracked crockery come in to it?

So Yaya Sanogo captained the French u21s. He seems like a big character.

2. spamhead says:

3. spamhead says:

4. spamhead says:

Strange – she doesn’t look like a lesbian.

5. arnie says:

motning all. this was penned a few days ago, and its appearance today was a bit of a surprise! 🙂

bloody flu. 😦 feeling so miserable, even the fantastic motning batner failed to cheer me up sufficiently. but I am very much around.

6. spamhead says:

I’ve been poorly, too, arnie.
    Definitely not with something any woman could cope with, that’s for sure. 🙂

7. arnie says:

Chas. Here is my vision of nail-biting times. Wish the break passes with no further injuries! 😛

8. It’s taken all of 30 minutes for the smut to arrive… is that a new record on AA? Peaches, stop this smutfest immediately please. It goes against all my religious beliefs, I’m shocked and disgusted by it.

9. spamhead says:

Me, too.
    I’ve seen that photo of the girl with the unusual phone case just recently.
    Was it on the smut meister’s post the other day?

10. arnie says:

all blame on smut-meister! 😛

11. smut-meister OUT! 😀

12. Sorry arnie, a nice post by the way, but a bit behind with the news. Sanogoals goytwogoals last night in the U-21’s match. 🙂

13. arnie says:

NorthBank. I know. This is sent a week ago. 😛

14. arnie says:

Lovely stuff, NorthBank! 🙂

15. arnie says:

was not is!

16. Arnie, I thought you may have still been banged up in the prison! and not seen the results 🙂 18 of you in one cell, must have been difficult to bend over?

17. Was not is what? Three days in a prison cell seems to have addled your brain 😉

Thanks Arnie, I am glad you are out on bail now. We do have a lot of internationals out on duty. I have a question though. We have a few young promising strikers of slightly different ages but we all know that not all will make it. I can see promise in all of Sanogo, Afobe and Akpom but they will not all surely make it as an Arsenal player. Who do you A.A’ers rate most from those 3?

AW seems to really favour Sanogo but in many ways I see both Akpom and Afobe as the better technical strikers. Is AW seeing something with Sanogo that I am missing? Both Afobe and Akpom are slightly smaller than sanogo but are still good sizes for strikers and both look powerful. More importantly they both look quicker and better finishers than Sanogo, so what do we all think about this?

19. spamhead says:

Weird how some strikers never quite seem to make the step up.

Benik Afobe was wanted by Barcelona as a 17 year old. He had a reasonably successful loan at Huddersfield a few years ago (2010/11) followed by a few ropey ones. Now he’s been ripping it up in League One with the MK Dons. Is this his level? He looks better than that standard but at 21 would now have to be named in the main squad.

Chuba Akpom has only just turned 19 so time is on his side. On loan at Coventry this season, the jury is still out.

Yaya Sanogo can’t buy a goal for us. Even when he scores a legitimate one it gets ruled out for offside. Scores regularly for the French u21s. Transfer market says he has a contract until June 2017. He’s now turned 21 so will have to be named in the squad next season. A good 3rd strike? Time will tell.

Sanchez Watt plays for Colchester
    Jay Simpson for Leyton Orient

20. arnie says:

I like Akpom the best of the three. However, if Welbz does well for us, we will have to see.

21. spamhead says:

Cheers arnie

No big deal my intellectually stimulating friend. Any one can be an International these days.

The other day I got a phone call from the new President of the Greek Football Federation, Demis Rousous,

“Terry peeps, weve justa bloody losta to Faroesian Islands. Bloody tragedy init? We needer you to come and play Centre forwards”

“No problema Demis. Beena a good patriotis, i will play ona condition you payer me 1,000,000,0000,000 dracmas. That shoulda be enough to have a nicer bloody holidays in Butlins with troubles and strifes. I also wanter my cousin, thick George, to be Greek Chancellor of exchequers”

“Nicer Terry, youer a bloody good boy and bloody good husbands. Normalies idiotis taker wifes to shiter places and mistress to caribeans islands, but you sure as know how to treat a wifer. Also, geter George to call me and bringer calculator and A4 paper”

“Many thank yous Demis top geezer. i justa forgot, I have one more confditions. I find your singings to be very shits mate and embarresings to all good Greeks. if I hears you sing that crapoulous ‘Goodbye my loves Goodbye’ one more time am er gona end up in mentals instutitons”

“What?. Anathama you son of Donkey. My singings inspirings great artists liker Des Oconners and Keith Cheqwins, yeter you insult me. I also knows your grandpapa was a chickens thief and had close relations with worn out donkey”

“Calmer down Demis you fatso bastard geezer. What about the Drachma? Hello, hello, hello

Terry you delightful mentalist. We might as well stop the blog there for today.

Nothing can top “I also knows your grandpapa was a chickens thief and had close relations with worn out donkey”.

Welcome out Arnie.

International Friendlies? Well, strangely I get it, as the Managers need sides to play together and experiment. However, if we had less domestic games, all would be ok.

Now, for tonight’s game. Oh Lordy, three days after the Arsenal boys all played for whoever, the Scotland game being meaningless, I’m really hoping for very limited participation

Transplant

🙂 🙂 🙂

Also, tonights friendlies just before Utd and Dortmund in the space of another three days. Any signs Hodgson might experiment?

Nasty thought for the day.

England Scotland tonight in Glasgow. Crowd not exactly going to be in their usual friendly-to-the-English mood are they, what with shortly going to be shafted over Independence promises.

Really hope English Fans don’t decide Verse 5 of God Save… is a good idea 😦

28. RC78 says:

For a start, I think that int’l friendlies are not the problem. National teams don’t get to play together and gel as much as club teams so for me, the friendlies themselves are not the issue. The issue is two-fold:

1. The fact that there are too many club-competitions that last too long so the players have to play a lot for their clubs;

2. The timing of the int’l friendlies.

How can we address 1?

a. All top-flight leagues should be of 18 teams and not 20. This would already reduce the league season by 4 games.

b.
    A) Champions League – all teams that do not qualify for the knock-out stages should just be out of all European football. This would reduce the playing time of 8 teams in European football and would force UEFA to review the format of the UEFA Cup (now Europa League), which is too long and too heavy according to me.

B) Get rid of the League Cup.

C) For the EPL – have a X-Mas break and have restrictions on the number of friendly games to be played in pre-season.

How can we address 2?

Well once you have reduced the number of club games, you all of a sudden have some more time slots where you can better allocate the int’l friendlies…

Actually, now I think about it, a mass fight and match abandoned after 5 mins could be the best result for Arsenal. Mmmm, thinks…

Anyone got England Skins Head Office number?

Yip, with you on that RC.

The failing in one (CL) resulting in you being shoved into another (Thursday) is the most staggeringly blatant example of pure profiteering.

Agree in 18 team PL, and into touch for the League Cup.

Welcome back into society arnie, I guess you’ve had a tracker and muzzle fitted 😛

Like most I’m a club before country guy but I have to admit that I never want to lose to the sweaties (yes, you’re skirt wearing mates oop norf) and it does make me proud to see so many Arsenal names on the England team list.

Manu have more injuries than us for the weekend as it stands, let’s hope the internationals don’t even the score 😦

Terry @ 12:33 …. brilliant 😛

32. arnie says:

Terry. 🙂

My nightmare scenario is Walcott starting tonight. And that is the doomer in me, not the realist! 😛

Arnie

Blimey, Theo is the only one I was thinking I didn’t mind starting 🙂

Match sharpness is what he needs ahead of Utd and Dortmund. If he’s really still that fragile, then frankly, he’s buggered anyway.

Also, I don’t think Arsene would have let him travel if he didn’t think he was ready, and indeed, needed playing time.

Mind you, I guess Arsene’s perhaps historically not the world’s greatest at knowing when to play or rest someone 🙂

35. arnie says:

Micky. 🙂 hmmm, let us see. if Theo gets 60 mins of uneventful fun, good. we live in hope. 🙂

Arnie
    I think he needs to play tonight to convince Arsene he’s a starter for Saturday, although perhaps its already been decided that’s too soon.

Simply cannot wait to see him back in the same side as Sanchez and Danny. Our season blew up last season, to an extent, when he went off v Spurs, so to see him back is going to be terrific, but to see him back into a side that have added Sanchez and Danny…. 🙂

37. G’day all. Well posted Arnie, are you just out on Licence or have you served your full sentence? 😀

It’s good that so many Arsenal players are in the England squads, it’s one to stick up the noses of those who can’t forget Wenger’s all non-English team he put out a few years ago.

Just why are we playing a “friendly” against Scotland? Is it part of the bribe the FA paid to get the Scot’s vote for the World Cup bid?

The Premiership should be cut to eighteen teams, but never will be. Too much money at stake and no club will vote for the change, too much like turkeys voting for Christmas.

Fantastic stuff Terry, more please. 😀

This is what I look forward to:

………..Danny
    Ox Sanchez Theo
    ……Jack Arteta

But that is England Jack, not Arsenal Jack 🙂

39. arnie says:

Micky. verse 6 it is! 😛

Interesting. Since I am in Portugal I will be watching the Wembley game, Argentina-Portugal.

You’re nearly right arnie – that game is being played at Old Trafford 😛

41. arnie says:

aha, that is right, Rasp. I stand corrected. 😛

42. RC78 says:

When everyone is fit: I am looking forward to:

PiG – Debs, BFG (:-(), Kos, Gibbs – OX, Arteta – Ramsey – Walcott, Giroud or Dannyboy, Sanchez

I really think that Ox is the future Gerrard and I hope that he becomes a great box-to-box.

In this set-up, you can see that I am not against a sale of Ozil for 35 Mln pounds at least…He is a fantastic player but I really do not think that he can sustain the EPL jouts day in day out…

43. RC78 says:

If Bayern want him again at 35 Mln, let us sell him to them and let us get Mata from Utd for 20 Mln. Mata can be decisive and is a proven EPL player…He would actually quite an acquisition if we can manage to get him

44. RC78 says:

In term of the England squad, I believe that the best squad is (when all fit):

In a 4-2-1-3:

Hart – Johnson, Jagielka, Cahill, Baines – Barry, Wilshere – Barkley – Walcott, Sturridge, Sterling

In a 4-4-1-1:

Hart – Johnson, Jagielka, Cahill, Baines – Walcott, Barry, Henderson, Sterling – Rooney – Sturridge

Barry is the best Anchor midfield for England at the moment. How he is not selected is a mystery to me…

45. arnie says:

hmmm, RC, no Welbz?

RC, I can see what you mean about Barry at the moment. The only downside to him is a lack of pace.

Spoke with a Utd fan today RC who was gutted about losing Welbz. He considered him better than Sturridge which I agree with but I am assuming you see it differently?

47. arnie says:

GoonerB. I did not get to participate in the debate yesterday. But, with regard to Welbz, my cards are close to my chest. But he is good for us and England at the moment. Which is good. 🙂

Arnie
    Move your cards from your chest to your gut, and run with that feeling for now. Does it scream “Welbeck”? Mine does, as I can’t see any weaknesses, given his age and lack of playing time consistently through the middle during his short career.

49. arnie says:

Micky. 🙂

How’s the flu Arnie?
    Although I’m surprised a kilt wearing weather hardened Highlander like yourself catches flu the moment you get beneath the warm Iberian sunshine. Must be keeping dirty company.

It’s the wind up the kilt, Micky. 🙂

GoonerB,

Mind your language, sir, there is no excuse for addressing someone as ‘arsey’ as you did at 5:21. [And using text speak is no excuse either — you keep away from that bad influence Micky the Plagiarist,

53. arnie says:

ha ha ha, Micky and Redders. 🙂 Yes, it must be the bloody Portuguese company. And the weather is not too good either. The only silver lining are the chestnuts! 😛

Flu is pretty bad, still. However, tomorrow should be better, the flu should ease by the third day, plus we are shifting our arse over to Zaragoza. 🙂

Never plagiared anyone, you hound 🙂

Is the game tonight on proper telly?

Has Roy included all the Arsenal boys for tonight, or is it a more experimental side?

Chas, darling, I am not sure that ‘spamhead’ suits your personality – so Dec, Duck, Chas are better choices, of which Daffy Duck is perhaps more in keeping with the nickname bestowed upon you by Mickish i.e. Gorgeous – or was that Eddie, White Bear, Evonne.

Damn! What is it with all these name change? Gooner Lost In Cornwall, GLIC, Cockie Doodle Doo – sheesh, how is a guy expected to keep up? 🙂

arnie, @ 6:17

You have nuts on your chest?

Yee Gods, is there nothing you won’t do to attract the women?
    You are as bad as Chas — and that is baaad 🙂

RA
    Maybe we should refresh our names.
    Every day 🙂

I think if Theo starts tonight, he starts against Utd.
    20 mins tonight, 20 mins against Utd.
    Fair comment?

Micky,

The England v Scotland game IS on ‘proper’ TV, but as you are a capitalist skinflint and not prepared to pay the subscription, which we impoverished folk think is a life essential – (that is not your proper TV – it is on Sky 402). 😀

62. chas mobile says:

I like idea of refreshing names every day. It’d be fun guessing who’s who. I reckon I could impersonate a few bloggers fairly easily. 🙂

63. chas mobile says:

It’s on ITV with Tyldesley and Townsend. 😦

RA
    I’m not entirely sure what my problem is with Sky. Possibly, I’d watch too much telly.

Chas
    The one blogger I’d have the most trouble impersonating is Transplant.
    Impersonating one the site “weak” would be easy. Just don’t rock up at all 🙂

65. chas mobile says:

Yep, Terry is unique.

I think you ought to ditch the weak stuff. It’s getting on my tits. 🙂

Not with you on the “getting on my tits” ??

Although, if I am annoying you, then bingo. I finally have leverage over the Beetles 🙂

Micky, sweetheart, you do realise I was lying —– the Eng v Scot game is on ITV – I think. Not watching footie tonite myself. 🙂

Micky,

Have you seen the ‘tits’ on Chas’ gravatar? 🙂

RA
    Mmm, still don’t understand. If he really is getting cross, would he smiley the end?

70. Chas says:

Well, I have to get off and have a massage, get my hair restyled and they say there is a wonderful new cologne called ‘Avitov’ and I cannot wait!

71. Chas says:

Mirror, mirror on the wall, am I the handsomest of them all? 🙂

If so, tell that Micky!

Right then, sounds lie I’m alone in watching the game. So enjoy your evenings.

73. Micky says:

No! Chas.

I am the handsomest of the bloggering world.

This name changing is very tricky!! 😀

75. chas mobile says:

Ooooops, where did that come from?
    🙂

England: Forster, Clyne, Cahill, Smalling, Shaw, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Wilshere, Downing, Milner, Welbeck, Rooney.
    Subs: Foster, Chambers, Henderson, Walcott, Jagielka, Gibbs, Lambert, Sterling, Lallana, Barkley, Berahino.

79. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all, Sorry to hear you have been bunged up Arnie.
    The Spanish are good passers, and we have Santi who gives the ball away.
    In Germany they have good mobility and we have the slowest centre back.

In England we have fighting spirit, and we have Theo who has been out a year, been fit for six weeks and has fought for ten minutes.

In Italy they have the best defenders, but why have we none.

And Poland they have very good goalkeepers, why did we sell a Pole and buy an Italion.

Is it me or have i read that wrong.

Lots of our players are playing for their countries in the internationals, what have they done to deserve that.

80. arnie says:

Yes, Redders, nuts on chests. 😛 almost like Chas’ new gravatar. 🙂

Fuck all, steve.

Made in N5.

Arsenal score for England, superb pass from Jack and intelligent finish from the Ox

Well, that was more entertaining than the Slovenia game.

Lovely goal.

Is Theo laced up?

Ok, just seen Chas’ team sheet.

Welbz fucked

Wouldn’t you just know it Welbeck injured – looks like a mild hamstring

Wtf, why wasn’t he brought off immediately?

I find it very hard to watch Scotland and not see that nasty little man Billy Bremner

Shaw was doing ok as well. Why bring Gibbs on?

That was better than nothing 🙂

94. arnie says:

oh dear, Welbz injured? any further news? 😦

Could be a long three days blogging ahead of Utd.
    Not sure we could face another “Can Jack DM for Arsenal” post.
    Beginning to think the only option could be to mildly smut our way through!

Please excuse my absence. It was beyond my control…

There I was, minding my own business, and walking along Østerbro Hight St with the intention of buying a farting birthday card for my lovely sister when a group of masked men threw a bag over my head and bundled me into the back of what I presume was a van – whatever it was it smelled rancid. I felt a slight burning pain in the neck and then lost consciousness.

I awoke in a small room with no windows, a camp-bed, a bucket and a well-thumbed copy of Big and Bouncy (Feb 2003) magazine.

Sometime later a shifty looking fellow came in and told me I had been kidnapped and was being held for ransom – a message had been sent to my family. The price of my freedom was set at €5000. I have to be honest, I thought it was cheap.

Imagine my surprise when he returned to tell me my wife wanted €5000 to take me back.

Bargaining began and after just 10 days in captivity I was released back to the loving bosom of my family (in time to see the JW show) with the kidnappers having agreed to a fee of €31.

Mrs Raddy plays hardball at the negotiating table and appeared a little disappointed when I arrived home.

p.s. To Raddy’s Sister: Hope you had a great birthday

p.p.s Have we signed anyone yet???

Mmmmmm, Big and Bouncy.

Ah ha Raddy

I do need to alert you that the site has been having the most awful issues with smut, so your reference to Big and Bouncy is not helpful.

Got a post? 🙂

The transfer news is not promising.

Had a gander this morning, and some Pole from Athletico I’ve never heard of, and Pete Cech 😦

Having a quick look back at previous posts …..

Micky The Smut-Meister??? Cockle – Yes, NB – Yes, Chas – possibly but Didit? The upstanding member of the local Rotary club, Squire of the Manor and all-round family man?

Fair play.

Ooops. Sorry Micky 🙂

Upstanding was in the old days when he was in his late teens.

Oh God, I see Bob Rat from Boomtown has done another Band Aid thing with Midge Urrrr. Worse, they’ve drafted in that git Boneo. Radios off.

Chas
    Are you saying my member no longer upstands?
    You are talking a fair amount of drivel at the moment 🙂

chas. 🙂

Micky. Whilst applauding the sentiment and the ability to raise millions for much needed relief funds can’t they think of something less ….. well, horribly annoying.

What about this?

If you send in a fiver you register a vote for which Band Aid member you would like never to make music again and whose entire music repertoire is removed from the archive.

My vote would be Boy George but there are so many to choose from.

Mild smut?

Drivel is my natural level.

The Musicians Musician (n.b. how awful is this????)

Welcome back Raddy 🙂

Micky, does your voice mail work 🙂

This whole Geldorf single for Ebola doesn’t really sit well with me. I often wonder what proportion of the money raised in these various appeals actually goes to the given cause.

Crystals
    I’m guessing you’ve left a message
    I go check

I’m with Raddy in applauding the sentiment, and killing Boy George, but the tragedy is that Band Aids shouldn’t be necessary

Crystals
    Don’t know whether this is helpful or not, but you left two messages. One on Monday at 5:54pm, and the other yesterday.

The confusion might be that you don’t have my home number, and the one you do have has an automated “Kelsey Divert Alert” on it. In my office we refer to this mechanism as a “Doom Duster”.

Might call you back 🙂

Doom Duster, nice 🙂

Anyway not to worry as the guy who fancied you couldn’t hang about and found himself another date.

I listened to the second half of the England game on the radio and how Alan Green holds a job down, let alone as one of the leading Radio 5 commentators is beyond belief.
    He makes so many elementary mistakes about players in every commentary

Twice he said LVG won’t be happy with yet what looked like another injury,when refering to Welbeck.

117. Morning all… welcome back Raddish 🙂

Sausages and wine

doom duster 🙂

NB. That is a strange pic on many levels. Who wears long socks in summer? Grated cheese on sausages? Nose metal? No cutlery? etc

119. arnie says:

late motning all. Thanks everyone and apols I could not be around longer.

But I am happy there were no major injuries. No news is good news is how I am interpreting Welbz.

Took the night train from Coimbra PT to Madrid, and now preparing to spend a relaxing day in Reina Sofia.. 😛

welcome back Raddy. 🙂 I am surprised Mrs Raddy agreed to 30 quid. A bit cheap? 😛

120. Raddy

Long socks in summer… school girlie sexy 🙂
    Grated cheese on a sausage…. why not?
    Nose metal….. agreed
    No cutlery……… don’t need it to eat a sausage

Yes very strange on so many levels 🙂

Welcome back Raddy.

Has anyone sent a post for today?

[video src="https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/B6CE7B9B041119661143901065216_2a7396699eb.2.1.6417061353361882299.mp4" /]

125. RC78 says:

Hey Peaches – I sent a post few days back about ultimate Arsenal team since the EPL at the request of BR…Not sure if you want to use it now but if you need smt for today, it s already with you

126. Is this a perfect scheme devised by Cockie and the Transplant

127. Hi RC78 – I’ll have a look for it, someone else must have opened the email, back in a bit.

128. RC – are you there? Should there be an attachment to one of the emails? I’ve just emailed you.

129. RC78 says:

no attachment to my email…

Otherwise, you can also use this link as a post:

It is quite an interesting article that conveys an interesting outlook on the current Arsenal form

130. Waiting for a new post, In the meantime……………….

131. RC – we can’t publish someone else’s article as a headline post 😦

Oh just let NB run the ship and Carry on up The khyber 🙂

133. New Post everyone ……………