Danny Welbeck. How good?

There were mixed feelings when Arsenal signed Danny Welbeck, and why not, we needed a striker after Ollie’s injury, and to my mind at least, we signed a kind of utility forward with “potential”, but no proven record.

Soccer - UEFA Champions League - Group D - Arsenal v Galatasaray - Emirates Stadium

Well, we’ve now seen him lead the line on a regular basis for both Arsenal and England, and he has been mighty impressive. At 23 years old, and finally given regular starting berths through the middle, my Question of The Day is: how good can he become.

He is fast. He is strong. I like his positional awareness and he has a terrific work rate and attitude. He does score some clinical goals when at speed and under pressure, although I still believe his finishing will improve, and if it does, boy will we have a player on our hands.

Final question then, when Ollie returns, will they be rotated in a “horses for courses” kind of way, or will one emerge as the natural “first choice”?

Written by mickydidit89

137 Responses to Danny Welbeck. How good?

Thanks Micky. I am a Welby convert. I’d never been particularly impressed with him for manu or England – but then we bought him and gave him a fresh start. But crucially Sturridge (for England) and Giroud were injured and Danny got to play in his favoured CF position and to my mind has shown that he has the potential to be up at the level of players like Benzema.

He needs to improve his heading and polish his finishing but he has electric pace (which can’t be learnt), good movement and close control and a real thirst to succeed ….. I like him a lot.

He covers a lot more ground and contributes more defensively than Giroud but is maybe behind him in his hold up play and his interplay when in the box. I would prefer an either or strategy before we can decide who’s first choice because I wouldn’t want to see Danny sent out wide and his confidence damaged. I have to say my guess is that Welby will prove to be the better option in time because he can learn the things he lacks whereas Giroud already maximises his physical ability.

2. Morning oh Smut Meister 🙂

Welbz has a great smile as well. This video shows how he can get in behind defences. I think he has a bit of Thierry in him. I like him a great deal and can see him improving quite a bit, Not sure what will happen when Ollie returns, but what a nice dilemma for the manager.:-)

“Smut Meister”….

Give us a break NB. Can’t you see when a man is doing his utmost to turn over a new leaf, seek cleanliness and a pure mind? 🙂

I thoroughly disapprove of the “f” word, so please don’t watch this if you are pure. I really struggled.

He makes a great case for Danny though

Here’s the link chas put up late on yesterday’s post analysing our performance over the last few years. It attributes the level of injuries in some part to the need for more squad rotation so I can’t see any reason why we can’t rotate Welby and Giroud since at the moment although they are different types of player there is not much between them in terms of goalscorng ….

6. I disagree with the f**kin geordie, I reckon Welbz has the f**kin ability to be better than f**kin Anelka and more like Henry, f**kin ‘ell, he’s f**kin shown it already. His goals this season are f**kin Henryesque. F**kin brilliant, f**kin cool and f**kin calm. I’m f**kin sure Danny will be the f**kin dogs B**locks, he’ll become a f**kin Arsenal f**kin legend…. …. so f**kin ‘ell, stop all this f**kin b**locks, f**kin don’t need it, Welbz is f**kin great man, will score a f**kin ha’rick on a f**kin regular f**kin basis. F**k Anelka, Welbz will be our new f**kin Thierry. so there we f**kin have it, those are my f**kin thoughts. 🙂

😀 Dictionary definition …. Firkin may refer to:

Small cask used for liquids, butter, salt, and sometimes fish: Firkin, a volume of beer

Firkin Brewery, a chain of pubs in the United Kingdom

Firkin Roos, an Australian rules football team in Britain

Firkin (aircraft), NATO reporting name for Su-47, a Russian experimental jet fighter

Ah, that clears that up Rasp.
    I speak neither Geordie nor NB

No doubt in my mind that Ollie is the better back to goal lay it off type in the old fashioned English centre forward mould, but Danny is altogether more continental, in the Anelka/Henry mould.

Could work together on occasions in the 3-5-2, which will never happen.

That’s interesting Micky, because I was just thinking that Alexis could well benefit more from playing off Giroud due to his ‘back to goal / lay it off’ type role. Alexis is top scorer by some margin without being CF – he likes to pick up the ball and run at/through/past defenders and could feed off Ollie’s supply?

11. oohh lovely jubbly

JUst seen that on L’Equipe TV tonight is a documentary about the rivalry between Keane and Vieira. Must watch:

Morning all. Sorry I have been absent for a couple of days but have looked back over the blog. Just to say thanks to Micky for smutfest day. I wondered when that would happen. We have had rant day, review of the week day, and nostalgia day, so it was only a matter of time before smutfest day emerged. You know what Micky, I had a feeling it was always going to be you that would introduce that one 🙂

Thanks to NB for who knows a whinger day as well (even though NB’s greatest contribution of the weekend seemed to be more with his comments on smutfest day). I have the occasional whinge but wouldn’t class myself in the professional bracket. I have a couple of friends who have turned it into an art-form though.

Thanks for today’s Micky but I have to point out you are obviously losing your touch from your last post.Perhaps a pair of Sam Fox’s finest superimposed onto the pic of Danny in your post will redeem the situation.

I was a fan of Danny’s from the start and agree he could become so much better. I feel the same as Rasp that his heading and a little bit more of a predatory instinct could see him IMO get into a bracket of being one of the top strikers in Europe. For me Ollie plays back up to Wellbs.

I read the article that Chas put up a link to. Was very interesting if you like the technical and tactical stuff. Unfortunately for some of you that would rather leave that to the manager as he is the expert in this area, this article is basically saying that we have likely f—-d it up with our training methods with the injuries, and that Arsenes tacticical implementations are way off other top managers now. They did say that there was great potential to improve it though. Over to Arsene then.

“My Question of The Day is: how good can he (Welbeck) become?”

I think this really goes to show that good posts don’t have to be long.

My response to the answer is that Welbeck can become one of the all time Arsenal greats.

I shared most peoples apprehension when I heard that we had signed him but I, like many others, have become a convert.

The recent hurdle I got over was thinking that one of the most important factors that the lacks is selfishness: I thought the man needs a good dollop of Ian Wright but then I watched closer and have noticed that he has been really, really unlucky with the rub of the green.

I don’t agree with RC’s fairly recent comment that suggested that he was only a big game player; look closer at his positioning in the game against Anderlecht and Swansea for that matter; it was superb but nothing would fall for him.

By contrast look at the second goal that he got on the weekend, it fell kindly for him and bobbled conveniently into the net.

This will change, he will start getting the rub of the green when he plays for Arsenal and he will score a lot of goals.

The only thing that remains that surprises me is how long it is taking for the finger to get pointed at the Flat Faced Dutchie for allowing such a talent to leave.

Can you imagine what would be happening right now to Wenger if he had let such a talent leave for Manchester United……………

The idea that Wenger doesn’t have access to or doesn’t take notice of differing training methods and styles is laughable………..UK? Err no. Germany? Why shouldn’t he. France? Purleeeeease……

I don’t know how many you were listening to TS on Saturday morning. Ray Parlour was the co-presenter and was asked a lot of questions about working with AW.

He said that AW was not ‘a shouter’ although on occasion he would let his feelings be known forcibly, he preferred to steer the players in the right direction and hope they would take responsibility on the pitch.

Razors then went on to say “the difference in the early days was that you had strong personalities like Adams, Vieira, Keown who wouldn’t let the players get out of position, they’d make sure everyone did their job. I’m not sure he has those types of player in the team these days and it shows” ….. I know what he means!

Parlour also told a funny story about the Cup Final where Keown needed to get on the pitch to earn a winners medal but had started on the bench next to Parlour. Throughout the game, Keown was going on at Parlour asking if he thought the boss had remembered about his situation. Half way through the 2nd half after we’d already made 2 substitutions, Keown decided he’d warm up and proceeded to sprint up and down the touchline with uncharacteristic speed in order to catch Wenger’s eye. Next thing he knew, Parlour had stripped off and was running around behind him. Keown was clearly annoyed asked “What are you doing?” “It’s not my fault, the guv’nor told me to warm up” was Razor’s response. Keown chased after Wenger and grabbed him by the throat out of sight of the cameras.

It all worked out well because AW put him on and he got his medal but he sought Parlour out some time later and asked “what did you say to Martin?” Parlour explained about his little prank and apparently Wenger said it was one of the funniest things he’d ever heard 😛

I like what I have seen of Welbeck and as others have said his heading and shooting will hopefully improve.

He is still very young, has loads of pace, hardly ever gets caught offside, is not greedy, reads the game well, and maybe he has a point to prove to United.

To be honest I don’t see a comparison to Giroud as their game are poles apart.

I did not know that Parlour was called ‘Razor’. Shirley Temple, the Romford Pele, or……… but Razor? No.

Am I the only one who did not know? Or was Rasp confusing him with Ruddock? 😉

Hi Redders, he used to be called Razors in my circles but I agree Ruddock holds main claim to the title.

Just Googled it and apparently one of Ray’s nicknames was ‘Razor’, as apparently Overmans, who first called him that, was being ironic as he was not that sharp. 🙂

I really never heard him called that.

You were right, Rasp, I should never have doubted you.

Still, “It’s only Ray Parlour”. 🙂

And, I liked your comments at 1:37 and 1 :43. 🙂

I like Welly – a lot. I cannot believe Manure let him go either.

Perhaps they don’t think we are their competitors any more – and they are right. They are fighting it out to be 8th with the Spuds. 🙂

Personally, I do not think there is any disadvantage in having the forward options we have.

I may have said this before, but…….

Sanchez, Welbeck, Theo;
    Sanchez, Ollie, Theo;
    Theo, Sanchez, Mesut;
    Theo, Ollie, Ox;

etc etc — What’s not to like?

Thanks Micky

I actuality agree with Kelseys assessment, which is a bit unusual for us two.

We generally agree about choice of medication, and if a passer by happens to be wearing a white coat, both bolt the door. But to agree about football is rare.

If Welbecks technique does improve, we will have one hell of a player.

Redders, I see you have left Sanogo out of your striking options 🙂

Yes, Sanogo Rasp.

I spotted something really disturbing the other day. I have this footage from one of those old video cameras of me playing football back in the late eighties.

I noticed that my shooting technique involved my whole body crumbling forward and my knee was propelled forward in some form of attack to invisible nether regions.

The result? A shot that was a perfect back pass. Sanogo should study my footage. Perhaps he can help us both?

28. RC78 says:

I am still of the opinion that Giroud is a better fit, right now, to our team as
    – he is better at bringing other players into the game thanks to his link-up play;
    – he really brings in this central focal point up front;
    – he is also better defensively both in terms or pressing and defending set-pieces.

However, I think that Wellbeck brings is speed and also a good work rate and that he may be better at his positional awareness. I would not mind starting a game with Giroud who will get any defenders/defenses tired in an hour and finish it with Wellbeck’s speed and runs…

To be honest, both are good and I do not put one above the other in terms of quality. They both need to work on their conversion rate and they both bring smt different. I think Wellbeck has more potential given his age 🙂

Unlike Wellbeck, Giroud does not need to be on a big stage to always perform…When Wellbeck is playing for England, he scores regularly as he wants to cement his place and show the world he is a good striker but he is failing to turn up against the Swanseas of our league so far…

Rasper,

I also left out Campbell and Gnabry.

My wish would be to see Sanchez, Welly and Theo upfront, perhaps in a Cup game – in theory their pace would scorch the asses of the opposing defenders.

Possibly, Ollie, Campbell, Sanogo and Gnabry could be brought in as subs for squads selected against specific opponents. 🙂

There are many combinations available to us, it seems,

Hopefully the sky’s the limit for our Danny.
    He has pace, a super physique and great energy.
    If the finishing becomes even better, then who knows what we might have.
    Cheers, Micky.

Chas, what did you think of dumb and dumber?

32. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all, Nice one Micky,
    I was impressed with young Danny when he first arrived; but felt that the initial burst soon subsided. I did leave a comment the other day which wasn’t altogether complimentary, but as usual , mouth before thinking.

Danny’s finishing i feel could still be better, as i have felt that the goals he has scored appeared to me to be a bit scuffed, but i am sure many would disagree with me.

I like a striker who given the chance fires them in without hesitation, i like to see a striker greedy for goals, a half chance smashed in, Danny in my mind at the moment is not high on confidence and he looks like a player who looks for someone in better position.

I want him to be the guvner up front, he shows all the attributes but seems a bit of a gentle giant, i want him to command the position and be calling all the time.

As far as Giroud is concerned, rotation would be good, but i feel that Wenger will use him more for games where he wants him to hold the ball up, Giroud i feel works well against a tough outfit, he puts himself about and holds his ground. He of course does not have Dannys pace but he is still very useful, Sanogo is another that could improve, at the moment he looks like he has two left feet, but he also needs to command his box more, once the confidence is gained we could have 3 useful strikers.

Haha, GoonerB.
    I stuck with it and did laugh in several places. I’ve never been a big Jim Carrey fan, so I was fighting my dislike of him half the time.
    5.5 out of 10 sound reasonable?
    What do you think?

GB – chas thought that Ant and Duck can put up a much better show 🙂

Whereas I watched ‘Mirror Mirror” a re-working non-fantasy version of Snow White (ish) and I am embarrassed to admit I found it funny, but in a nice way. 😉

You see what lack of football does to us?

36. ‘evening all,

I don’t think we need to worry too much about Welbeck and Giroud competing for the main striker role. By the time Giroud gets fit and overcomes the niggles he’s bound to suffer after a long lay-off, the season will be all but over.

I like Welbeck, I like his attitude, workrate and temperament. Whilst he could turn into a thirty goal a season striker, he’s not there yet.

Mr Didit – thank you for the post. As you know I like to take time to make a balanced and learnt opinion, and therefore I cannot answer your question about Mr Welbeck less than 3 months after his arrival. Ask me in May again please

the crisis at the AFC must be really serious if both Raddy and GiE are still absent

I am worried about Ant and Duck with all that bird-flu about.

I should have added that I thought RC’s headine post was excellent.

Thinking about Welbeck more deeply, does anyone remember Henrys first few games at the club? He was different class in his movement and obviously pace, but his touch and finishing were very erratic.

The same thought springs to mind with Theo. Couldn’t hit a barn door but now an accomplished finisher.

Ime not saying Welbeck can be another Henry but if Arsene helps him develop we could have a top player.

At the moment Welbeck looks almost surprised when he scores. its as though “Wow, I done it”. This has to change, and will because with goals comes confidence, and with confidence comes a healthy arrogance.

All Disco Lothario’s know this is true.

Funny you should say that LB because I wanted to reply to RC78’s comment as I normally agree with most of his points but on the Welbeck vs Giroud point I think we are some way apart. I agree on Welbecks obvious strong points but I actually think Danny is slightly superior to Ollie even on the areas perceived as him being weaker in.

I think Ollie is decent with his link up play but I think Danny is better. Ollie relies on receiving the ball in a more specific area of the pitch IMO, which is normally centrally with the CD’s at his back. This works well when he gets it under quick control and can then lay it off to others but last season I noticed that a lot of balls played into him were nicked off him by the CD’s if he didn’t control and shield it quickly from those CD’s. I felt we lost possession an awful lot in these situations when we needed to retain it.

Danny can move off the CD’s with his extra pace and mobility and can retain possession by moving away from defenders who are trying to close him. This for me gives Danny that extra second or two till the right option to move the ball on becomes available. I feel Ollie has to move it on quicker or risk getting caught on the ball, because he can’t just accelerate away from a closing defender.

When Ollies quick flick on works it is very effective and looks good but I don’t feel it comes off enough relative to the amount of times he is receiving the ball. I may of course be wrong but I feel Ollies great hold up and link up play has been over-exaggerated purely because it looks good when it works. I personally therefore feel that we retain a higher percentage of possession with balls into Danny than balls into Ollie.

I actually think Danny’s link up play is excellent but is different to how Ollie does it. Personally I prefer Danny’s because I think it has more technical merit at the higher level of football. I don’t see how sanchez could thrive playing off Ollie more than he currently is with Danny, and this is not an anti Ollie comment more just that I think Danny is the better fit for our best 11.

Since moving into the bracket of being a more mature but still young player Danny has not had a regular run as a main striker until this season, so I only consider him 11 games into this role. He is looking pretty decent IMO for 11 games in so I am hopeful that with even more regular playing time here he will become even more prolific.

BTW Chas I would give Dumb and dumber closer to a 7.5 out of 10 but my sense of humour is rather infantile at times. I would give some of the interchanges on here more an 8.5 out of 10 however, in a comedic interchange that I have named Doom and doomer.

Well just before you saunter off onto the dance floor Terry Lothario to turn out some vintage Mancini moonwalk moves, can I say I agree with all you just said. I also remember when Utd fans used to say Ronaldo couldn’t hit a cows derrier with a banjo, so a bit more patience is required IMO before we decide what Danny can and can’t do and what he will or will not become.

My sense of humour is pretty infantile, too, but perhaps more old school. 🙂

GoonerB
    Isn’t comedic doom an oxymoron? 🙂

Evonne
    How about Dipso and Crapulous?
    Sounds about right to me.

I bet only Micky can remember where the Duck part of Ant and Duck came from?

48. RC78 says:

GoonerB – I can see your point indeed as Wellbeck is also good at link-up play but I really think that Ollie can bring other players into the game a lot more. That said, a CF is to score goals not to assist so in a was, maybe Wellbeck is better as a starter…It is hard to tell.

Actually Chas, it were I that coined that nomenclature. 🙂

Basic stuff really — Ant and Dec are everyone’s TV favourites in the Uk – so the two hugest favourites on AA, – Ant and Chas – became Ant and ………

I think it really fits the pair of you loveable travelling rogues with your wonderful cameos of what it is like to go to matches — you realise we are all madly jealous of the pair of you?? 🙂

Eddie,

It is the worst kept secret on AA that Raddish and Exile are one and the same person, masquerading as the Rasper.

You must have known that. 🙂

Mullard. Mallard. Quack 🙂

Keychains!

Does anyone here on AA recognise that word, other than the obvious definition?

I need help and or advice. But if you do not recognise it – other than the obvious – you will not be able to supply it.

Of course if Exile, aka Raddish, aka Rasp were here – he would know! 😉

RA
    “I am worried about Ant and Duck with all that bird-flu about”
    He he 🙂

They are my three best friends, Micky – be careful what you say about hen.

I remember you calling yourself mallard for no obvious reason.

I hope Duck keeps his bill shut – no kissing with tongues for a while! 🙂

58. chas mobile says:

Was it, RA, well I never.
    My bad.

GB
    Really like your 4:56.

I’d also like to add that another advantage I see in the Danny:Ollie debate, is that I feel we’ll see better quality team football with Danny, he’ll get the best out of Mesut, Santi, Ox, and Alexis, and finally, we’ll have a far more effective counter attacking side.

Ahem RA
    “Actually Chas, it were I that coined that nomenclature”
    Err, no you didn’t.

Chas appeared as Mullard
    I then called him Mallard.
    Then Duck
    Finally Ant ‘n Duck.

No-one else thinks like that.
    Happily, otherwise it’d be chaos 🙂

Chas
    Do you access the type of site that gives players’ MPH?
    Love to know the difference in speed between Henry and Welbeck.

Congratulations and thanks to Micky for producing a good old fashioned AA days blogging – it’s nice to get back to normal 🙂

“it’s nice to get back to normal”
    Are you having a go at me as well Rasp? 🙂

Not you Micky 🙂

Funnily enough – and this might upset Ant if he learns about it, but I am having roast duck tonite.

The Chinese restaurant I picked it up from – the duck – always has a guy with limited English serving plonkers like me.

“you want chop?” “No, chop?”

I never learn and always respond – “no chop – I want duck!’ To which the response is inevitably, “No chop – stopped Gwailo – you want duck? Me ask – chop or no chop – irriott!”

I get it. He means do I want the duck chopped up or whole. So I say, “Chop, chop!” He says, ” me go fast as fuck alleady.”

“You want bone in – bone out?”
    “I do not want your bone anywhere near me.” Pervert!

“No, no, I chop then I bone duck.”

“Whaaat? You bastard – leave my duck alone – hey, wait a minute,,,,, you aren’t called Cockie Doodle Doo, are you?”

“You wann Cockie?”

“Get away from me!”

So, I sent my girlfriend in and she foreswore language and pointed – made a chopping gesture, and then with the appropriate twitch of her physog mimed yanking out the bones. This was met with a huge grin and a nod and — hey presto – we have duck tonite.

My hard work did not go unrewarded! 🙂

stopped = stoopid

Hard to beat a Chinese take array joke 🙂

Actually, one thing that always pisses me off when a bird gets flu somewhere in the world, is that all Orientals arriving at Heathrow have those bloody masks on like we’re all contaminated.

Micky,

You know what Chas is like. He will not let this rest. 🙂

He will whizz back to source and find out the truth – i.e. you speak with forked bum.

Oddly enough, the temporary Mallard avatar thing was part of the first explanation I gave – not that I knew what was tickling Chas at the time.

Some things are best left unasked. 🙂

Micky,

Actually, that was not a joke – it happened – admittedly with a certain amount of embellishment.

“Chop? No Chop?” 🙂

Micky,

–‘all Orientals arriving at Heathrow have those bloody masks on”

Digs, Micky, Digs — Ducks in disguise – they simply will not accept roasting – or flu. What is the world coming to? 🙂

RA – nope, I met both Raddy and GiE, and they are like chalk and cheese. Both Londoners living in exile with brown eyes, but that’s it. One has long hair, the other had long hair once. One is slim, the other was slim once. One is a smoker, the other smoked ganja in his time. One likes books full of numbers, the other full of blood.

Both lovely guys and credit to the Arsenal.

if they have masks on how the hell do you know they are orientals??!!

Exactly! Eddie. They are ducks! What does that Mickish know? Nuzzink!

So, Eddie, the slim, long haired, cigarette smoking dude is obviously Raddish. The other one is obviously a goalkeeper! 🙂

Eddie,

Micky won’t answer you, he is wetting himself waiting for Chas to discover he is guilty of plagiarism! 😉

Come on Chas,

With all those clues, you must have found the source by now.

Put the Surfer out of his misery!! 🙂

You are sooo guilty of plagiarism RA 🙂
    Cannot wait for the proof. It will appear as you say.
    Remind me again which part you came up with. Just for a laugh you understand 🙂

Here’s a check list.
    RA first came up with:
    a. Mallard
    b. Duck
    c. Ant ‘n Duck
    d. None of the above

RA – no, Raddy is just slim 🙂 The goalkeeper is cuddly 🙂

Mickish knows many interesting people, great stories to tell, leave him alone

Talking of which Eddie, I was at Friends house yesterday afternoon. She being the Pole whose family I told you about in Siberia and whatnot.

Oh it is obvious Micky,

a) Mallard = a train = Ant and the other guy – on way to the game.

b) Duck = Mmmm, tasty – both Chas and the Duck.

c) Ant n Dick = Need one say any more?

d) None of the above = Micky, that is very magnanimous of you to admit you have no answer to ‘none of the above’.

What a gents. 😉

Eddie
    Are you there?

You are right, Eddie, Mickish is great at telling stories – the nice Polish lady is happy to have a story in exchange for giving his Lordship a bowl of soup and a hunk of bread.

Which is more than Raddy would give him. 🙂

MD – I remember her and her incredible grandfather. Mind you, my grandfather was incredible too – musician, spoke Esperanto, I still have handwritten poems he wrote for his children, absolutely charming.collected coins and stamps, officer in the army (had to quit to marry my pretty but untitled grandma), was in Auschwitz, survived, killed by the Russian army at 33 years of age.

I think he’d be ashamed of me if he was alive.

RA 🙂
    Given chas’s fascination with genitals I vote for And and Dick 🙂 I think he too would like that

didn’t speak Esperanto – wrote

I don’t believe he would have been ashamed of you Eddie. No way! 🙂

Eddie
    My friend Sophie co-wrote and edited this book. Vincent Polewski Koziell, the subject, is her father. Sophie is married to a sculpter friend and lives near us. Great family, and she’s crackers. It’s a superb read.

Bloody hell, survived Auschwitz, then killed by the Russian army.

Got to go, Eddie.

The smell is making me drool. Big Bertha has gone – but Sandy has this knack of making the most magical sauce to go with the Duck.

Soy sauce, honey and Worcester sauce are the main ingredients, from what I have deduced, and the two are a blissful amalgam — and I can no longer wait for Duck to return and give Mickish the bad news!! 🙂

Sayonara.

My fascination with genitals? How very dare you!

Chas
    Put RA out of his misery (and cheating).
    Bad news for him, I’ve just found first reference to Mallard, and oh guess what? 🙂
    Enjoying this although beginning to think The American is delusional!

Okedoke, play resumes in the morning
    Nite y’all

well, sort of survived Auschwitz. Grandma sold everything they had and bribed the guards to help him to escape. They gave him monks’ robes and he travelled on foot some 500km to get home. Horrendous story.
    We only discovered these photos recently

Amazing photo.
    How on Earth did you discover it?

Sorry, I couldn’t bring myself to come back on since Chas called me an oxygenated moron. I’m just over it now and the fact that RA is having him for dinner with soy sauce, honey and worcester sauce is karma as far as I am concerned.

Kudos to your grandfather Eddie. A man to be admired.

thanks GB
    no idea chas – my uncle did a lot of research for the family book, but Im not going to ask him – he makes Micky’s brother look charming

One for you Eddie. A Laptop screen cleaner

Chas
    Although I am ashamed of this, I can see it’s quite clever. Move your mouse around and it cleans the inside of your laptop screen!

Morning Eddie
    “Makes Micky’s brother look charming”…. poor old Uncle Duncan

Thanks Micky! Pugs are comedians with great sense of humour. If you laugh at something they did, they will repeat it endlessly to make you laugh again

Excellent Eddie, just us, so…..what’s in the Daily Mail of interest?

Charles Manson getting married to a 26 year old whore

Is he attractive?

He’s blinding looking! An 80 year old murderer, what more would a girl want

Looks are very important Eddie. Think of Gorgeous 🙂

This FIFA World Cup rigging scandal seems to be warming up. Do we think it will get anywhere?

Nope. Media are heating it up in absence of any major sports news.

Tend to agree with that no news theory, but once lawyers sniff a buck, it can be a game changer. And they are on the scent.

Morning all. Blimey did I kill the blog yesterday evening? Where’s Chas this morning? Off to work in a mo and I haven’t had my fix of Chas vids yet.

GB
    I think Chas is lying low and feeling ashamed for his role in the recent smutgate

I’ve been cleaning the inside of my laptop screen for the last 2 hours with that 6:19.

Yes chas, I’ve been playing with those 6:19’s as well, quite mesmerising they are too 🙂

And mickydidit is trying toblame you for the smutfest ha ha, he has no shame that boy 🙂

114. ah ha, perhaps that could be the answer to Rasps dilemma about the GHF/GHE debate. It could now be, you are either 6:19’s are bouncing or 6:19’s not bouncing 🙂

115. I’m most definately in the 6:19’s bouncing crowd 🙂

116. charlie big potatoes says:

Anyway after much extensive research into the origins of Ant n Duck (a few minutes googling), I have found these milestones.

On Jan 31st 2013, I changed my blog name to just “mallard” (having been called ‘mallard’ by Micky for weeks even though I’d posted as “arthur mullard’s left gonad”).

On Feb 14th 2013, RA made this comment……..

On Feb 24th 2013, Micky put this up…….

This was during my house move, where I was effectively homeless for 3 months with no internet, hence the dongle reference.
    Eighteen months down the line, It seems like I’ve always lived here, I’m pleased to say.

Ha ha ha ha RA
    So you coined the Ant ‘n Duck phrase. Yeah right 🙂

MickyDidIt89 says:

February 24, 2013 at 7:12 am

Loved The Ant ‘n Duck Show yesterday 🙂
    Also enjoyed the tragic case of Ash. The Fan who is miserable when his side win! ROLF

Thanks Chas 🙂

NB and Chas
    The point of the 6:19 was ONLY to highlight the intelligent use of technology.
    Crikey, some people

119. charlie big potatoes says:

I bet only Micky can remember where the Duck part of Ant and Duck came from?

120. charlie big potatoes says:

……was my original question.

121. charlie big potatoes says:

Flippin noras.
    There’s me thinking I’ve made a good excuse for sleeping in late (I’m a bit poorly)with the screen cleaner crack, then I start being abused for being “some people”.

Ok Gentlemen
    The NB Bouncing Vid. How many fast forwarded to see if she did the big circular movements? Then, how many zoomed to the end just in case there was any elastic failure?
    I did nothing. Turned off immediately. Quite appalled I was.

Look Charlie Big Ones
    I’m sure RA knows 🙂
    Actually, it was surprising how long the Mallard tag lasted, and also that we were talking about the need for a powerful DM 🙂

124. charlie big potatoes says:

That’s what I meant about the same posts being relevant regardless of season.

I looked back at the Ant n Duck comments from that train trip down to see Villa on Feb 23rd 2013. It was utter gibberish. 🙂

125. charlie big potatoes says:

Perhaps we could have a look through the archives and on quiet days with no post, re-publish an old one and ask how relevant it is now.

126. spamhead says:

Testing

127. spamhead says:

Hey, my avatar has tits!

WordPress won’t let me post with my old dummy email address

129. Big spuds

Then over the last four years there are going to be a lot of relevant re-published posts 🙂

130. spamhead says:

Hmmm, might stick with spamhead. 🙂

Great idea Charlie
    Might make some think Arsene hasn’t addressed a particular gaping issue for about four years, though 🙂

I had a look back to the very earliest days of the site, and sure enough, we were all reacting to wins and losses in the same way we do, as indivividuals, today.

Same people upping their comment quota after a loss, same doomers, same match day drunks 🙂

Excellent chat this morning as always. There is a post I believe in nuts, I haven’t sorted it yet but I’ll be back …………….

HELP
    Peaches or Chas
    Every comment on AA is being sent as a notification to my personal email account!!
    In the comment box, there are two boxes “Notify me of…” and neither are ticked.

See if that works

135. spamhead says:

New Post

136. willc88 says:

I for one was gutted when we signed him. I thought ‘great, a non scoring striker, just what we need’…
    Given his current form for country and the fact he’s knocked in a few for club, I’d starting to think that he could be decent for us. As long as we don’t waste him out on the wing like they did at utd, he’ll more than likely come good.