How do you get space in behind a parked bus?

This comment from Gooner in Exile in response to yesterday’s post, contains enough interesting questions for a couple of posts. His comment is reproduced in it’s entirety so the opening paragraph refers back to yesterdays post.

He made this comment at 9.20pm

Evening all, interesting debate today, well done RC78, I have to first disagree with one of your later comments, we simply haven’t got time to shift formation between 3-5-2 then 4-2-3-1 or whatever, we have to have a system and personnel that fit in that system.

Maybe one of City’s problems in Europe is that they try to change too much from PL to CL, Maureen has a system, he uses it in all games, the only difference is how much freedom the attacking players are allowed.

Rodgers earned a lot of plaudits last year for setting up his team for each given opponent, Martinez too, no surprise with only 2 days training between games this method starts to fail.

When you have no European föötball you can drill for 5 days between games.

The same with International Breaks, one of the reasons the “smaller” clubs get upsets after Interlulls is not just the travel time of their opponents but the fact that they have had 10-12 days training at their club being drilled on how they are going to play their next match.

I’ve pretty much asked myself the same question for three years, and I would really like to see a good answer:

How do you get space in behind a parked bus? And hence how do you exploit that space with pace of there is no space?

Basically why do teams defend so deep against us and not against say ManUre or Liverpool or is that just a figment of my imagination? I’m not necessarily talking about big teams but the likes of Stoke, Palace, Villa. Everyone behind the ball and hope to counter.

We could obviously play the same way but I fear we would end up with a lot of goalless draws. The other team, if disciplined, will just stay back. We have to force the issue. One way is endless crosses into the box, worked a bit when we had Ollie fit. But defences still didn’t really come towards us. Shooting from distance is another tactic, but often the ball is just gifted back to the opponent.

So can some bright spark tell me how we can try and create space in behind to win games without over committing men forward against a park the bus side?

I’m also pretty sick of hearing that Ozil is played out of position and that he only expected to play central and for 70 minutes for Madrid, he is a £42m footballer on a rather large pay packet. Do you think Bergkamp would have sulked if he played left wing? Or would he have found a way to influence the game. And maybe we should just sit Mesut down with a pile of DVDs of Bobby Pires, a number 10 who played left wing and took apart many an opponent.

Written by Gooner in Exile

170 Responses to How do you get space in behind a parked bus?

1. liambaldock says:

I’m baffled too. I really see where you are coming from in the sense that when I watch Man Utd and Liverpool, teams come at them a bit more so there are spaces to be exploited behind them. But we NEVER get that other than a 3 minute spell at Villa park!

Maybe it’s the way we play too. I find that when we bring the ball forward it often starts promising and full of pace and power but we we reach within 30 yards of their goal the ball goes wide, stops or just back.

The lack of conviction we have when moving forward is a worry for me. Place does it perfectly and we often score goals like this when he’s on the pitch. I think the problem is that we need to drive forward as a unit. So the wingers provide support. Mesut or Ramsey/Wilshere to bring it forward whilst the other runs in front to find space or a gap. And Danny… Well he can just make an improvisational run. The problem here is… We only have Flamini as cover. With the likes of a Gilberto Silva, the powerful prowess of Vieira, Pires, Ljunberg, Henry could all stride forward with Bergkamp able to pull a few strings and we would often get in behind or just simply overrun a compact defence.

We just miss that cutting edge and by brining the ball forward as a unit and with some killer drive and instinct then spaces may open up as defenders could be drawn out to match one of our many attacking players run. 4-2-3-1 is the way forward for me, but keep the fullbacks a tad more disciplined so getting countered isn’t as easy. Obvs replacing Flamini with Carvalho or Javi Martinez would be a good starter too.

We certainly have the players to do so: Welbeck, Özil, Walcott, Alexis, Oxlade, Wilshere and Ramsey so maybe this is what’s missing.

I just think that Wenger is too hesitant with his previous tactics as the league has changed a bit since then in that a measly team like Palace may set up to full out counter you every time. But tbh with the weapons in our Arsenal, that shouldn’t be a problem.

Hope you agree and see where I’m coming from. Check out the blog too, all about European football and a lot of the time Arsenal! Have a good day.

2. Pat7 says:

Sod’s law: just as you post for the new post to come out 🙂

Steve, Just got up to date from all the banter above and listening to Osho 🙂 so to answer your query on ankle boots: i have not seen the actual boots but know from skating that you have more control in the higher boot. Whether that is from the ‘stiffness’ around the ankle bone or just the contact feeling there is debatable as even with a very supple leather there is still a support aspect as can be seen with the special taping of muscles nowadays: it does not support anything but communicates directly to the brain when anything is happening in a micro way…..

Besides this aspect there is the lesser chance of cuts and bruises that anybody who has skinned themselves in the garden/DIY will know about :-). That little bit of protection is all it takes.

New post read time!

Exile, your headline Post may have come as a surprise to you, but it does raise some interesting points.

Taking your last point first, I am not sure I totally understand your point about Özil, or perhaps more accurately the bloggers comments about where he should play and for how long.

Your view that he is £42m player and should not sulk when played out on the wing, or that a player valued at that amount should be able to play anywhere etc looks valid at face value – but there is another way of looking at it.

Özil is rather like a Ferrari in that he is a great performer and a quality product. Yes please I want one and Arsenal have got one.

The fact is though, I would not use my Ferrari, if I had one, to go shopping in and risk parking in the supermarket dodgem race, or to transport a load of sand and timber from B&Q.
    It would just not be good at transporting those sort of loads, or to risk damaging it in mundane trips.

I think the point being made, by those recommending playing Mesut as a No.10, is that he is best suited to that role and is highly effective in it.

Because Mesut is defined as much by what he is not as by what he is.
    He will never be much use as a tackler, he is totally wasted on the wing, as he is not particularly speedy and he appears to have a fragile confidence that needs coaxing.
    What he is can be seen in his wonderful eye for a though ball, his amazing skill in tight situations and the confidence he gives to his team-mates when he is on song.

If we need a winger – get a winger. If we need a midfield slogger and tackler – go get one.
    In essence it seems just a little perfidious to buy a world class No.10 and try and convert him into something in which he is not world class, and Arsene has a habit of doing this, because he has previously intimated that he sees Walcott as a centre forward, or Sanchez as a centre forward and both those notions will end in tears.

This is not right or wrong, but simply an alternative opinion. 🙂

[My reference to Ferraris above, does not apply to my best friend Rocky, as he uses his for getting take outs, and carrying shovels and bags of cement when he is working on peoples patios etc.
    N.B. when I say ‘best friend’ it is recognised that Rooky is everyone’s best friend, which makes his recalcitrance to write a Post even more reprehensible!!] 🙂

Good comments, Liam. 🙂

5. Shard says:

GIE

I read this fantastic comment yesterday and have been thinking about it since.

The answer I came up with (regardless of whether it is right or wrong) easy enough is to the question of why teams don’t defend the likes of ManU and Liverpool the same way.

I think the reasons for that are that we are pretty poor on crosses. Crosses are a low percentage pass for all teams, but I think the ability to put in good crosses causes the defense to open up a bit wider to deal with the threat, even if the crosses themselves don’t cause that much of a problem.

A related note would be that we are also not good at set pieces, which not only leads to encouragement to set up to camp out in the middle, but also to kick us to stop our attacks. The fact that we are seen as soft by the referees means that this tactic offers teams more reward than punishment.

So how do we beat it? This is a question which I find tougher to answer. Be better at set pieces I suppose. I would also say that we perhaps need to dribble and run at the opposition more, rather than only pass through them. In this regard players like Sanchez and the Ox can be very good. I also saw a stat recently where it was shown that our attempted and completed dribbles are both significantly higher than last season. So perhaps that is something of a tactical conclusion from the manager too.

Gotta Go.

Laterz (as RA would say)

6. GoonerEris says:

I have gotten fed up with all the “Wenger won’t play Ozil centrally” noises. He is a gifted footballer who should be able to influence play from any forward position. Alas! He isn’t fully committed to the cause (I see him pull out of tackles a lot and he never puts a foot out to defend for the team), I am sorry to say. He is well paid and should be ‘saving’ his leg only for the Arsenal.
    As for finding space when teams ‘park the bus’, we can borrow a leaf from Man City or the successful Arsenal teams of the past. We just need to play with patience, get the opposition dizzy with the passing from left to right, trying to pull the defenders apart, while waiting to exploit the least opening. Our strikers have to have good movement and allow for runs by scoring midfielders. As with all such defensive teams, one goal usually opens the floodgate as they come out seeking an equalizer, leaving weary defenses to take advantage of.

7. bhuzani says:

its because going foward we are a bit slow and they end up covering space

8. Pat7 says:

Good points above. My take on it is you need more aggression than their CBs can muster or at least more movement than we often produce. Giroud often managed to pull/ tire out the CBs and provide openings. When he came up against defences that could handle him we were often stuffed……

As was stated we surge upfield and come to a grinding halt as the winger passes the ball backward having got close to the byline and then play tic-a-tac standing stationary a lot of the time until either Ox or Sanchez start flustering when possible…. Occasionally we get the timing/precision right and produce a wonder goal but this is rare so we get accused of passing the ball into the net….

We haven’t got any natural divers either yet :-)) but Theo might change that.

9. GoonerEris says:

Don’t get me wrong….by all means, if the Manager thinks Ozil can play through the middle in a game, use him there. But, my guess is, Wenger knows he only flourishes there against weaker opposition and because, he wants to always play him for that one key pass he is capable of, shifts him wide (which is the same position Joachim Lowe played him at and he won the world cup). Look, I am not sure how others see it but, with his frame, do we really think Ozil could make hay or change much played against Matic and Cahill/Terry? Not likely. The man should earn his pay.

This coment was written in haste and probably needs a bit more explanation, like Eris I think the sideways movement of the ball and patience is what is needed to breakdown the opposition, but to some that is tippy tappy sideways going nowhere stuff. Which is why I asked the question.

And I get that if we break quicker we can get past the opposition but in truth how many opponents shift further than the halfway line? Their full backs don’t join in and their defensive midfielder or even two won’t exactly be much further up the pitch. So our speed of break, to me anyway, is irrelevant to most games. Except say where Galatasary turn up and think they can play a high line. We came into our own.

Share the crosses point is valid, and I guess we don’t possess enough aerial threat, even when Oli plays for the opponents to shut down the cross.

It’s the threat of the cross and consequence that will then force defenders to close us down and allow us space to play the intricate stuff.

But what today tells me is that everyone has a different solution, but most of those solutions are what irks others about the teams play.

11. Charging the box as a unit I agree. Henry was always mobile and when it is congested he can cause havoc from the wing. But still the advantage will only be ours when we can break up play when we don’t have possession and the opposition back line has moved up. When the team parks the bus they will still need a breather due do the relenting pressure. Hence free kicks and corners. This is when we have to capitalize with pace. Viera use to do that. Are we doing it now. If welbeck drifts wide who is in the box

12. liambaldock says:

It’s moments of movement I think. See what Hazard did to us the other day? He ran at us, with others providing options and dragging defenders each way to create space for the runner with the ball. Granted, he is exceptionally talented, but sometimes I just think that a lack of forward drive is worrying. Sometimes the tippy tappy wing passes do work. Last goal in the dramatic 2-1 victory against Palace on the opening day came through that. But I think our best chance, is when everyone is fit, definitely adapting our game a bit differently in order to suit our players better. We have to find a solution to how they can all work to their best.

Nice one, GIE.

I might dip in and out a bit on this one today.

With regard to our attacks floundering (or is it ‘foundering’) 30 yards from goal, I think that it’s often because we have so many players who like to play in the middle that they all want to get involved in the build up instead of making the forward runs needed to provide a target for those on the ball.

Also, Jack is always accused of hanging on to the ball too long but, quite often, he has to do that as there is nobody offering him a target.

From being at games so far, I’ve noticed Sanchez makes little runs in behind defenders all the time but rarely receives a pass. It’ll come with time as midfielders get their heads up earlier and tune themselves into his movement. The only trouble is he seems to get fed up and then drops back to join in the build-up along with everyone else.

Apologies if this is a little garbled. My appreciation of tactical blicks is limited to say the least.

Good stuff, Chas, I can relate to that.

It chimes with what Liam, and one or two others have said, playing tiki taki is not wrong in itself, but it fails when the players are too static or the passing is too predictably linear from left to right and back again.

There needs to be runners (such as Sanchez) moving towards the opponents goal too, because without that, the ball inevitably gets passed back to the CBs and then to the GK, who boots it upfield back to the opposition.

Chas,

You are also correct in saying that Sanchez frequently makes diagonal runs but does not receive the ball, and therefore goes deep to collect it from midfield, but this takes the edge off his pace and he often isn’t too precise with passing himself, ironically, and loses it.

Pressing the ball when we lose it is not a strongpoint for us, GIE, and I think you referred to that recently.

Sanchez and latterly Welly have chased the ball down, when it has been lost, but they do not get support from others and Sanchez’s frustration at that is plain to see.

Before them Giroud also was game to press the opposition defence hard, but again often did not receive support.

This maybe because our midfield are too small and lacking in pace to enable them to make a difference. But pressing is something all the top teams do — and we must too.

17. liambaldock says:

Chas, I understand what you are saying and completely understand. With the likes of maybe Ozil, Cazorla and Jack all in the centre with his 4-3-3… well Ozil out wide but he generally drifts inside. This takes away a number of options when going forward as they all look to dictate themselves.

I like it when Jack brings the ball forward however, but agreed he can hold onto it for too long. This isn’t his fault and I agree with your point.

I think it’s different with each fan as to how we should play. Some fan’s LOVE the passing football, the sideways tika-taka and cross etc. Some, like me, like the balanced approach of pace and power with the likes of a unit moving forward offering options. Unfortunately, I don’t think we will find a good answer to any of our questions until we see a decent string of results with this current squad. But I’m certainly optimistic it will come sooner or later, hopefully in the next three games.

18. wally says:

they want to park the bus, let them have the ball. If they have it they have to do something with it don’t they. Their own fans would demand it. They come out and the space should appear. The Invincibles and the early incarnations were quick strikers, playing on the counter. More of that please. Soak it up and use the pace.
    I’m with RA, you don’t use a Ferrari to run to the store for groceries. Henry wouldn’t have Henry if he’d played on the right wing would he. And I think oz is much stouter than people give him credit for. If you watch no one shoulders him off the ball in space, In tighter spaces yes but that happens to all of them doesn’t it. Out wide he needs a great striker, a really useful fb (which gibbs isn’t) and a great attacking mf (he and ramsey had something last year i thot). With Germany he has all that with Kroos and muller and Lahm. In the middle with sanchez, welbz and walcott or ox i think he’d be even better.

19. Norfolk Gooner says:

G’day all,

How do we make space behind the bus? What a question! Well done GiE this should bring out the budding managers, coaches and armchair tacticians.

My answer is to do exactly what we have been doing for years, only more so.

That is, to bore the pants off the opposition by continually passing the ball backwards and forwards between TPIG, Mertesacker and Koscielny. If we do it for long enough eventually even the most disciplined defence will get fed up and cold, they’ll then come out to try and get the ball thus leaving a smidgeon of space behind them.

At the moment we only use this tactic to a limited extent before either Merts or Kos get embarrassed and play the ball forward for our mid-field to join in. Unfortunately at this point we give possession away and often find ourselves succumbing to the sucker punch and going 1 – 0 down.

If we keep our two full-backs a bit further back they can join in the boring inter-passing thus lessening the embarrassment factor and allowing it to go on for even longer, that way the opposition will get even colder and more bored and will eventually come storming out en masse leaving us the room to tear into their box and put the ball into their net.

Simples!! 😀

Absolutely brilliant, Norfolk.

Potty but brilliant. No one would know that you are not Norfolk born. 🙂

21. My two cents. How to get space in behind a parked bus. The answer, you don’t. You bulldoze the bus out of the way, or you get the bus to meet you in the centre of the ring. A balanced team is not afraid of counter-attack because they are well equipped to deal with it. Something we don’t have.

Secondly, our dogmatic approach to the game is our undoing. Wenger has this tikitaka philosophy that says high percentage of possession usually results into a win because the opposition doesn’t have the ball and they have to chase about. Wrong! What good is possession football without penetration? What good is holding on to the ball if you are not willing to take risks? The opposition now knows they don’t have to come out and play against us. Just sit deep and hit us on a counter.

Ferguson’s winning teams of old all had one thing in common. They adapted well to whichever opposition they were playing, while keeping the level of the attacks high. They were not afraid to lose the ball high up, knowing fully well they were drilled enough to get into defensive formation as quickly as they attack. Arsenal on the other hand will pass the ball to death, afraid of making a through pass, a cross, or a shot in case they lose the ball and get countered. That’s why we keep looking for the perfect goal, which most of the time doesn’t materialise, or we have virtually no shot on target.

Lastly, I will say, get a balance in the team. Stop playing square pegs in round holes. Ozil is NOT a winger or a left side midfielder. He is a no 10! I don’t care how much he costs. If he is not suitable for the role, don’t use him. Arteta is NOT a CDM. Spend some money and acquire one or two specialist CDMs. As good as Mertesacker is, his lack of pace is still a point of worry for me. Get a defender with some pace. And don’t be afraid of losing the ball to the other team. Its a game of two opponents. The more they think they have a chance, the more space will open up at the back.

Ooo Exile, tactics. Right up my street 🙂

No idea the relevance of this, but I think it’s interesting.

Last season Chelsea won both home and away against City and Liverpool, and finished below both. Football won.

This time around, they’ve added two things they missed. Midfield creativity and a great goalscorer. Worrying.

Still, we have hope and will do it without resorting to mucky tactics, but I’m convinced it means Mesut in the middle to play the “Mesmertron” (copyright Arsenal Gentleman), so it only remains for the clicking to happen.

Mesut behind Alexis, Welbeck and Theo is the winning formula I believe, and we should stick to that set up, and as Femi says, plug holes with the right shaped plugs as and when injuries/rotation demand.

GIE. Fine comment/post.

As you all know I know SFA about tactics. My only suggestion is to shoot on sight. At least if it is blocked the blocking player gets a nasty bruise and possibly, if Podolski hit one, internal injuries.

Thinking of which, have you seen this on the BBC site? “Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil is having an MRI scan in Munich on his injured knee.”

What injured knee? When did he get it? Why is he allowed to travel to Germany if he is injured?

Raddy
    He’s probably sick of being asked to play out of position for the Krauts ad has acquired a convenient knock 🙂

When’s your trip to Iceland. I want the pics and stories NOW

Perhaps it’s a “bad Knee” according to Arsenal that Germany don’t believe?

I think they are all hating playing for Arsenal at the moment and this transfers itself to their bodies which subconsciously look for an easy way out.
    Mesut’s body is now telling his mind, “12 blissful weeks without being told I’m scraping a living or not trying hard enough. Absolute bliss.”

Ozil knacked – bloody typical.

So, more-or-less guaranteed first teamers who’ve got themselves knacked since the start of the season or carrying a pre-knack:
    Ramsey, Debuchy, Giroud, Arteta, Ozil, Walcott. That’s more than half a team. Arsene needs a new witch doctor.

Moderation. Why?

Good ‘poser’ GiE.

One of the factors – which was in evidence in the Chav game – is that other teams know they can break up pretty much all our attacking moves with small fouls and trips. These go unpunished because the referees have a (mostly) unconscious bias against Arsenal and the way we play.

We are more fouled than any team in the Prem, yet we have received more yellow cards than any other team.

The classic case in point was Chambers being booked for what was nominally his first foul of the game (in fact he was fouled by Hazard); but later in the game Atkinson warned Oscar after yet another foul by holding up four fingers (pointing out it was Oscar’s fourth foul and – presumably – that he would be booked for his fifth).

I am utterly sick of watching this pattern:

The game starts. The opposition team trips and kicks us all over the park, using rotational fouling if they’re smart. If it’s a game at Arsenal, the howls of outrage from the crowd grow louder and louder. Eventually the ref books the next opposition player to make a foul (usually the ninth or tenth ‘team foul’ against us).

If it’s an away game, the outrage of the Arsenal players eventually forces the ref to put his hand in his pocket.

Within a few minutes, the next Arsenal player to commit a foul will be instantly booked, even if it his first offence and even if the ‘offence’ is minor or non-existent. The ref does this to show that he is even handed.

In fact the ref – in most cases – is a squint-eyed idiot who has allowed a deliberate, unsporting plan to be perpetrated under his nose and then punished the victim as a consequence.

So, who have we got left?
    Flamini, Cazorla, Wilshere, The Ox, Rosicky and Diaby. 🙂

And, Chas, Mayachi who’s not on the books just to sell shirts 🙂

Could be the accidental creation of the team that wins us the league 😀

Szcz
    Chambo-Koz-BFG-Gibbs
    Flamster-Santi
    Jack
    Ox-Welbz-Sanchez

Anyone know where I can get a Miyachi shirt?

Miyaichi is on loan at FC Twente, unfortunately. 😦

Hmmmm, Arsenal: most players injured, most fouled against, most yellow cards, ……… WTF 😦

Is Park still on our books?

Micky. I leave on Sunday.

The pilgrims were lovely and very generous but insisted on going to a dreadful chinese restaurant.

23 Arsenal players standing on the wall
    23 Arsenal players standing on the wall
    And if one Arsenal player should accidentally fall…..
    There’ll be 22 Arsenal players standing on the wall….

….and don’t forget Theeeeoooooooo will be back soon 🙂

Gnabry is training with the first team after his long lay off for knee knack.

Maybe Bendtner’s at a loose end 😕

Time for Gnabry, Coquelin, Campbell and Zelalem to step up maybe.

Theo might be back if he doesn’t trip over Melanie’s dressing gown first.
    That’ll stiffen the midfield.

Raddy
    Sunday. Great, and at last. Can’t wait 🙂

People here keep saying Mesut is miserable playing left, but is he?

He always looks miserable.

When’s Nacho Nacho Man back?

Rasp
    Wasn’t he on the bench for the Chav game?

Hi Rocky, he may have been? He’s still listed among the injured (back) on arsenal.com

Serge Gnabry Knee, last game Bayern Munich (A) 11-03-2014

Theo Walcott Knee, last game Tottenham Hotspur (H) 04-01-2014

Mikel Arteta Calf, last game Tottenham Hotspur (H) 27-09-2014

Aaron Ramsey Hamstring, last game Tottenham Hotspur (H) 27-09-2014

Nacho Monreal Back, last game Manchester City (H) 13-09-2014

Yaya Sanogo Hamstring, last game Leicester City (A) 31-08-2014

Mathieu Debuchy Ankle, last game Manchester City (H) 13-09-2014

Olivier Giroud Tibia, last game Everton (A) 23-08-2014

Mesut Ozil out for up to 12 weeks with knee injury

Arsenal’s Mesut Ozil has been ruled out for up to 12 weeks with a knee injury.

The 25-year-old midfielder, who is on international duty with Germany, played 90 minutes in Arsenal’s 2-0 defeat at Chelsea on Sunday.

But he arrived at the German camp with a problem in his left knee and an MRI scan in Munich on Wednesday showed damage to the joint.

The Gunners are already without injured midfielders Aaron Ramsey and Mikel Arteta .

A statement on the German Football Association website read: “The MRI examination revealed a partial rupture of the outer band of the left knee joint.

“The treatment is six weeks of immobilisation of the knee joint. Mesut Ozil is likely to be [out for] 10 to 12 weeks.”

Ozil complained of a sore knee after the defeat at Chelsea on Sunday and Arsenal say they advised the German FA of the situation. The former Real Madrid player has now returned to the Gunners for further assessment.

…………………………………………………………………………….

53. Norfolk Gooner says:

Oh well, at least Wenger can’t now be slated for always picking him and not subbing him when ‘e’s ‘avin a mare!

Rasp. Diaby. Entire body, last game Portsmouth (A) 10-04-2003

If an injury league was formed we would be unbeatable……………….

Our new fitness wizard is a complete mug. Probably in the pay of the evil Chav

57. Norfolk Gooner says:

How come it’s taken three days for this injury to be diagnosed?

If he complained about a knee problem after Sunday’s game why was he allowed to go off to Germany before being assessd by our own medical staff?

There’s something very wrong in our medical department.

The thing about luck (bad or good) is that it can be defined as repeated occurrences that defy statistical probability ………. so either we are a highly statistically improbable club or we’re doing something(s) wrong 😆

…. but our best first 11 from the players who aren’t injured (shorter list 😕 ) is still pretty damned good!

We have small skillful players who are continually subjected to serial fouling and we get no protection from the officials.

Here are the types of fouls that eventually pay their toll on our players,

Trips
    Pulls on the arm
    Pulls on the shirt
    Pulls on the shoulder
    Pulls on the shorts
    Kicks on the ankles
    Kicks on the heels
    Kicks on the calf muscle
    Knees into the thigh muscle
    Knees into the back
    Tackles from behind

You can add more to this list but suffice to say that this is the type of serial fouling that takes place on our players and it invariably goes unpunished.

But of course it’s all AW’s fault for buying small skillful players and the BOD’s fault for not getting rid of AW and hiring Moaniho……………..

I have been down in London for a few days, and dodging the showers I went for a brisk-ish walk around to the Rose Garden in the Inner Circle of Regents Park.

Nothing special in that, I am sure it is something that many of you do after you have been fed cosseted at the Zoo. 🙂

Except, I could have sworn I saw Ricky Rooky Rocky sitting in a McLaren PI super car, but it probably was just a good looking chauffeur having a sneaky ciggie.
    Then I saw a Lamborghini, a Bugatti Veyron a Ferrari and piles of Mercedes and Land Rovers, but not your common or garden types, these had all been customised and must have cost $500,000 and upwards and had fantastic horsepower numbers on their badges.

It was like a super-car parking lot. Every car had foreign or diplomatic number plates.

Popping in to have a coffee, I realised that the place was packed with some extraordinarily wealthy people also having coffee and a chat. So I kept a look out on the off chance that I would find one of my Arsenal heroes in there, so I could introduce myself, and mention my one horsepower, Horse, Heironymous.

And guess what? There wasn’t anyone……. bollix, what a story that would have been.

Got soaked on the way back to Brenda’s jalopy.:-)

So not only are we not good at the gamesmanship lark, Arsene despite years of watching red nose Ferguson pulling injured players out of internationals, and now hearing the bleating of Rodgers and Maureen about non-existent injuries to perfectly fit players, has been forced to let Özil go to Germany to be examined and proclaimed seriously injured.

Now what was GN5 saying? oh, yes, — “of course it’s all AW’s fault for buying small skillful players and the BOD’s fault for not getting rid of AW and hiring Moaniho…..” — never a truer word, and to that he could have added; ‘AW is useless at pulling seriously injured players from their national squads!”

Just kidding GN5 — the injury jinx does not seem to want to move on to other teams. Yup it has to be Wengers fault – or so some of those people on blogs where they hate him and do not rate Mesut will tell us — and without skipping a beat will also tell us we will miss a great player.

Just tell them all to eff off Arsene. 😉

Let’s face it, Sanchez was a planted foot away from a broken leg courtesy of Cahill, too.

If you plant a foot for long enough, will it grow into a complete player? 😛

Chas,

The only conclusion you can arrive at is that the refs are scared of Maureen, in the same way they were about Ferguson, and are not scared about Arsene.

The Cahill tackle was clearly a two footed out of control foul that deserved a red card and a 3 match ban. Not to send him off was inexcusable, and led to the unfortunate tussle between Wenger and Maureen.

Mind you the scared shock on the face of the pouting ass-hole when he realised AW was not going to take his sh*t was nearly worth it.

Of course Chas could have been giving a measurement Rasper.

A planted foot is a toe shorter than a regular foot. 🙂

In that case, I wouldn’t want to be kicked in my planted foot 😕 mind you I did get a ball in my allotment playing cricket this season

Well I am beginning to think my breath is bad enough to penetrate the aether after almost 20% of the days comments and not one single response. 😉

Ouch, right in the artichokes.

RA
    i love you

Too right chas 😦

Redders – I’ve responded to you …. not everyone hates you 🙂

If your comment was addressed to me, Rasp, you have taken my comment virginity. 🙂

It’s dreadful to think I am actually grateful to have had a single response. Something wrong here I suspect.

Chas,

You have already threatened to kiss my ass with a big smacker, whatever that is – which is a little bit scary — Eddie might read it, and you know how possessive she is. 🙂

Redders, its probably just that people live busy lives and only pop into the blog for a quick comment and then disappear – its the same for us all

RA,

Don’t feel lonely – I’m always ignored, after a while it grows on you…………………

I love ‘hate’, Rasp, it is so much better than indifference! 😉

By the way, we heard the scream when you were hit in the goolagongs, and Peaches said something about you not being able to find a big enough box (?)

You keep your crown jewels in a box?

You guys – weird or what? 🙂

Hi GN5, I rarely ignore you when i am around. 🙂

Funnily enough, I was thinking of you yesterday, with a random thought that sprang to mind.

I was having fish and chips in my favourite fish restaurant yesterday, and I suddenly felt quite sad. It came to me that DanDan and myself often compared the quality of our respective fish and chips, and it came to me that I still missed his sensible and unwavering love of Arsenal — then it came to me, that you are cut from the same cloth.

How about that – never met either of you and yet …….. 😉

I’m going to wend my weary way home shortly, so I’m going to be off air for a while in case anyone misses me 😕

Dear RA and Gn5.

Nothing to say to you but just wanted to acknowledge your existence 😀

The last 25 minutes of comments has had me spluttering my very expensive Diplomatico 12 y-o- Rum all over my keyboard. It is a bugger to clean off as well as a waste of fine rum.

RA. Why were there all the fine motors?

I have never made a secret of the fact that I also blog on other sites sometimes using other avatar names, and my comments never fail to get a response (altho that does sometimes depend on whether I am being ‘nice’ or not) 🙂

So coming on to AA occasionally feels a bit like the desert breeze is a-blowing. 😉

Off to sulk now! 🙂

82. Shard says:

Norfolk

Why jump to the most damning conclusion when it’s within the rules that national teams can have a player checked by their own medical department before agreeing to not call him up.

As well that our new fitness guy has had 10 years working with the German National Team, and might have scheduled the medical test to take place then.

Raddy,

From what I deduced, it seems that because Regents Park is so central and the cafés around the inner circle are very nice and at this time of year also very quiet, many of the very wealthy foreign visitors get delivered to their shopping/office destinations and all the chauffeurs can park there within easy pick-up distances, while relaxing and having a ciggie or two.

That is speculation of course — but the cars are absolutely jaw droppingly stunning.

Definitely off to sulk now. 🙂

RA,
    Dandan was a fine example of a loyal supporter and he never failed to lift my spirits.

But unfortunately there are very few loyal supporters left, those of us who try to walk the high road and stay away from the inane ridicule of our team and manager end up being the ridiculed. So as a result I blog less and less and less – which no doubt delights many bloggers.

Gn5. In a world where many take the negative route it is essential that the positive bloggers state their case otherwise the atmosphere remains poisonous.

What unites us all is a love of The Arsenal and despite the way some express their concerns they are bleed red Gooners. Just like you.

So …. my message to you is to keep fighting the good fight. We need you.

Not getting a response RA is actually a good thing as obviously no one disagrees with you, as for me, well that’s another thing 🙂

GN5 and dandan as you know are/were very close to me. I have a different opinion to both of them but we all respect each other and I can’t tell you how much I miss dandan.He helped me in my darkest moments.

Football: it’s only a game 🙂

Thank you for your kind words BR but unfortunately it has become tiresome being an old time supporter in an age of ‘instant experts”.

I will continue to view AA and add the occasional comment but my days of writing articles and daily blogging are over.

88. RC78 says:

You need to widen the gaps between lines, shoot from outside and have presence in the box…Hence my proposal so play a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 against the teams that just play to park the bus against us with Ollie playing with Wellbeck playing in the hole…Why?

Ollie stays in the box and basically attracts areal balls but can also flick the ball in the box

Walcott, Wellbeck and Sanchez can add the pace. Sanchez is also an excellent shooter from outside the box and Ramsey is not bad so then you basically have a team that it trying to break down the opposition horizontally (Walcott and Sanchez), vertically (Wellbeck and Ollie) and Ramsey can take advantage of the spaces created through the middle and on the sides…In these type of games, center midfielders need to find a way to score and the other players have to create the space for that…imho…

anyways, just a thought

Gn5. That saddens me.

Kelsey. There are so many things which we disagree about it would take too long to reply 😀

RC78. Some good thoughts. If only it were so easy. Despite kelsey’s claim that we need to tighten up defensively what is clear is that we do not score enough goals. AW keeps buying players to change this but at the moment we still lack punch. It is players not systems which win games.

chas. Brilliant.

91. RC78 says:

BR – I think that in these closed games, bring in players like Podolski with his fierce shot and Campbell with his ability to find space could be explored at some point in the game or even from the start…

We are lacking “verticality” in our game when we approach the box, that s the main issue. We do not create these pocket of spaces that allow us to have a clear shot on target…Why? Because we do not mix things up enough and our full-backs also need to participate more to the offensive game in these closed games vs Stokes and all…At the moment, we basically really miss Ramsey as he is a bit of our Iniesta, the guy who create or find that space in the box or around the box but still, maybe Cazorla could replace him in that spot as he did brilliantly vs Gala…

GN5
    Please don’t quit writing your fabulous historical posts.

94. The Cockie Monster says:

A convoy of the worlds most richest oilygarch cars !……The Regents Park Inner Circle !………sounds to me like the worlds most expensive Dogging Session !.

95. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all, Parked bus where have i heard that before.
    GIE you got them going all right 🙂

I get the impression that you feel that the parked bus was used only on the Arsenal. perhaps the lob and run was also brought in by teams like Stoke to combat the Magnificent Arsenal attack.

Now i have to say GIE, that you have written a good conversation post and i congratulate that, but i feel that its how teams combat that kind of tactic, This is something that happens a lot when a lower club meets a top of the table team. I have to say that a lot of teams can work a system to move that bus, where we seem to only kick balls up against it.

I feel that Arsene Wenger stays with what he knows, play our game and we will overcome such tactics. Where suppoprters watch and cannot understand why simple tactics could make the parked bus ineffective

I have seen no evidence of Arsene Wenger ever planning to target a teams known weakness, from what i have seen is, apart from changing how many line up, and in what order and subs on 70 minutes.

Wenger would probably argue with me that each player has his own set of instructions keep to that and we will overcome.

I feel that half of our talent is wasted in some games as if we do not take advantage of weaknesses in your opponents then its an opportunity lost.

Your Question of course about the parked bus.

If we tried to attack in numbers on one side of the pitch their defence would have to move over to combat that, as manr’e the time i have watched other teams work one side then when everybody has covered, the ball is switched to the empty side with a winger hugging the touchline on his Jacksie and nips in behind the bus. I thought every body knew that as it happens every week, pundits say diabolical defending every week

Oh f*ck

No idea what that sport lobster link is all about.
    I didn’t even know Gibbo was with England.
    What a shocking supporter.

news of Ozil’s injury sparkled some debate on the TalkSport radio. Our own fans’ opinions varied from ‘good, he is useless ‘ to ‘our physios are rubbish not to spot the injury last week’ and ‘Ozil doesn’t want to play for Arsenal anyway’.

How is it possible that some fans think he is brilliant and too good for Arsenal, and others want him sold??

And second question is – how come that Ozil had a total of only 36 days off in his professional career BEFORE he joined Arsenal and now he is looking at 130+, is it a coincidence?

It’s because his frail little body can only take 70minutes as Maureen knows.

Or it could of course be that fouling in Spain and Germany gets punished early. Or that the kind of fouls committed in Germany and Spain are in reality genuine attempts to play the ball, rather than ball and man.

A question to those singing the praises of Henry et al (don’t get me wrong I’m not here to do them down), but did Arsene manage that team too? And did they face the parked bus as much as the current side appear to?

104. fatgingergooner says:

Wtf!? Sick of these injuries.

It’s not just the fact Özil is missing, it’s the strain it puts on other players now having to play more games and therefore we will be shattered come February. No wonder we collapse at that time of year.

Our luck is non-existent.

105. arnie says:

Brilliant question, GiE. Well played, Sir. 🙂 🙂

Lovely day’s blogging, and I am in too late. 😦 Will go through all comments now, but before that, my tuppence.

I dont know the answer, surprise surprise! 😛 But what I do know is that, we stand no chance against a parked bus if we cannot draw players out of the bus.

Unfortunately, we do not have many players who can do that. Ozil will avoid player contact, so will at most draw one player out. Likewise Santi.

The Ox and Rosicky can make runs into the box and draw perhaps a couple of players with them, but within the box. That does not create much space behind the bus.

One way to draw players out is to spread the game wide. Perhaps Theo can do this but he is injured. Perhaps Poldi but he is out of favour.

Jack potentially could draw players out in the midfield. But he falls over at the first touch, so only one player drawn out. And in the ensuing freekick, this player goes back into the bus. Rambo is better in this respect, and we can expect him to take two players away in his runs.

But the only one that we have who consistently draws 3 players out is Alexis. To me, this is invaluable. And this is the reason I would like him to play a bit deeper. Three players drawn out means space in the box, and behind the bus.

Clear as mud? Bollix? 😦

106. arnie says:

Perhaps I have reinvented the wheel there. Largely repeated in different words what Shard said @ 11.41.

Why are we poor in crosses? Perhaps because we rely on defenders to make our crosses. Their primary skill is in defending, secondary skill in rushing up the wings, and only ancilliary skill in crossing. 😦

107. arnie says:

Redders. For the record, I really do hate you. 😛

108. arnie says:

and yes, Kelsey, I disagree for sure! 😛

109. arnie says:

GN5. I second Chas at 7:00pm. We eagerly await your fireside family tales. Please …. 🙂

110. arnie says:

GiE. “it could of course be that fouling in Spain and Germany gets punished early” That for me surely is the case.

We should therefore fare better in the CL. Will we do so this year? Hmmm. Let us see. 🙂

111. stevepalmer1 says:

Just looking back over some of the comments, and i see that GN5 has had enough, will still read the blog but will not write posts and will comment less.

I don’t know you GN5 but i have read many of your posts, i also read your comments but have seldom converse with you. Yes your an old supporter, and have supported more years than many have been alive, and you have the views and dignity of the old school supporter,

Today is not about history, its not about Traditions and its not about being a Mr nice guy. You sound like the type of guy who wears your Arsenal heart on your sleeve, you like Arsenals past and you also remember times that many others don’t.

I watched your video when you watched the game in the pub with your mate and the excitement on your face said it all, Gooner through and through.

What we have today GN5 is the supporter who is not content with History, not content with just being part of the Premier league, They want trophies, they want to be the top club and they want wins every week.

You know as well as all old timers, that over the years you have seen the good times, but you have also seen out some very Barren times as well. Todays supporter see’s other clubs with their very wealthy owners come in and buy a trophy then they see another club come in and do the same. They see that new owners have come into the Arsenal ,but what they don’t see is instant success, so sombody is at fault in their eyes.

Personally i liked the stuff you wrote, I also feel very much the same views as you, but when i read your stuff i find that it is educational more than a conversational piece.

Many will comment on one of your posts, but mainly i feel that it is done, out of respect for you and how much time you have put into it. Now i have wrote the odd post, and i have seen how many supporters comment, i know many of them would rather read a hairtransplant story, and many;s the time i do myself, but it is people like you, who has years of supporting, and Knowledge that most will never have, feel that nobody is listening and what’s the point.

The point GN5 is that although they may not comment, they do read your posts and many will remember what you have written, but they cannot add much to a very informative post.

I am a relative new blogger to this site, i came from a site that had a resident administrator who answered every new blogger’s comment. what that did was to catch the new blogger from the off and welcomed them in straight away and many liked that, and came back on a regular basis. Many liked to feel part of the family and surprisingly became the heart of the blog.

Make no mistake N5 your stuff got read, but the blog does not run the same way.many more people read your stuff than you are aware of, and every one of them will take a bit of your vast knowledge away with them.

Personally i will miss your imput if you decide to blog less, but in my mind its not just me, many more will as well.

There is a small chance we will have 4 AFC players starting for England tonight – Gibbs, Ox, Jack and Welbz. Once Theo is back and firing and Chambers grows up it could be 6!!

Perhaps this is why we are stuttering. Too many English players 😀

Very late back from Whiff Whaff, and awoked by you know who bombillating

Ahoy Raddy.
    We were talking about Iceland last night, and there was another bloke with us and said someone caught a 25IIb brown trout in a lake there.

Fishing is Murder

Did you enjoy the sushi?

I got physically assaulted by a 5 year old yesterday and can only see properly out of one eye this morning, please tell me that this is just a result of parents who let their little darling treat their house and everyone in it like a climbing frame and crash may and not what every kid will be like.

If the latter then I’m looking for a gift receipt.

B Flat Minor. There’s a scale he’s not liking. Bombillation.

Don’t look at me Exile, I know diddly squat about parenting 🙂

GiE 🙂 🙂 My advice is to prepare yourself for the worse case scenario, something that you really dread. My worse case scenario was a son with long hair, makeup, body piercing and skinny leggings, like a goth. He is none of that, so anything else is ok.

Eddie

That’s alright. Well, unless he’s 40 yrs old 🙂

GIE. I would take it as a compliment.

Micky :-).

GIE

I have been a very disinterested observer when other family members have been bringing up kids.

i) They are all very different.
    ii) If you are assaulted over-react with plenty of ‘ouches’ and pretend tears (the mum) and make the child understand their actions have consequences.
    iii) If it continues — leave home — fast as you can.

All the above should be taken with the understanding that as usual I do not know what I am talking about. 🙂

hahaha, thats nothing GIE. Why do you think my head shape resembles an over ripe fig?

Learn to lie face down on the couch and ask Rasps advice on the most comfortable cricket box thingys.

You will be fine.

RA – I was thinking about you last night trying to work out why your brilliant comments are left unanswered. Well, what I do is start reading where I left off, I read your comments, smile/laugh appropriately and move on to the next comment. By the time I reach the end, I cannot remember what I read at the start. Which doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate/ignore your comments, but simply that I have remarkably short memory. Keep blogging

Who’s RA? 🙂

I can’t remember

Eddie, 🙂

Micky,

RA is the Egyptian Sun God, and that is why I ventured to advise GIE on his son question.

OK, the spelling is different – but he is an Arsenal daddy and can’t have everything. 🙂

Anyone there? Nope, can’t see or hear anyone. Strange, I could swear there was an enormous bloke sliding around the room in brothel creepers 🙂

Haha, awoken by bombilations. 🙂

Here’s one.

The other day GIE accused me of not reading a good comment of his, and I was about to admit to it — the thing is I had actually read it, and I agreed with it, and later wrote down my similar view on the basis that everyone would have forgotten GIE’s original (like Eddie said).

But I did own up — and he never replied – probably did not bother reading my comment – and so the blog world rolls around! 🙂

Chas,

Bombilations? That is a bit bombastic, or you are suffering from tinnitus. 🙂

I looked into those ginseng fags. Not convinced.

RA
    A very good morning to you.
    Harrowing abominations assault my ears.

I’d like to see a photo of this 251 pound trout.

Uruguay try to park the bus in this little clip but the gap between the front and back axles is far to big and allows Hames in.
    Could learn a lot from Stoke.

RA
    Are you ignoring me, because I might get sensitive

Chas
    Thought twice about the bloopers clip, expecting Rick Astley.
    Yip, got done on the second

Whoever makes those gets elevated to genius status

Anyone know where on Blackstock Road is a shop which only sells fresh naan?
    I thought it might be good to build a fresh one into a matchday packed lunch.

ha ha brilliant cartoon

When you say a shop that “only sells fresh naan”, would an establishment that also sells jars of sauce be excluded?

141. arnie says:

motning all.

Chas’s vids early in the morning led me to this:

142. arnie says:

and to this:

Oh right, blame me for all of that filth!

144. arnie says:

The question, GiE is whether you therefore felt loved by the little one or you felt a lack of love (like Redders). If it is the former, blessed you, if the latter then miserable sod! 😛

For the record, Redders, I take special care to avoid your comments when skimming through. 😛

145. arnie says:

Believe in destiny, Chas. Some people are born to take all the blame. 🙂 And be loved for doing so. 😛

Thanks GIE for the poser post and sorry I am late to the party (pig of a day yesterday), especially as I was the one who nominated your comment for a post.

I wonder if our current FB’s go further forwards more regularly than those from the great teams before. This could basically force many teams to keep men back i.e the bus and it also makes it obvious that if they win possession that the best thing to do is counter-attack us quickly using the vacated space behind the FB’s. More restraint from the FB’s at times may create more space.

I also like it when our quick players not so much put in crosses from really wide but drive into the edge of the box from wide and put in hard low balls or cut backs for oncoming players arriving just inside the box. I think that is our most effective way of breaking down those teams so I would prefer to see a set-up and the right players in the right positions to do this.

chas. Caught me again. What a mug I am

Don’t blame me, it was Micky’s idea. (© arnie)

149. arnie says:

All of us, Raddy, except that most would not admit to it. 😛

150. arnie says:

A little bit patronising, nevertheless …

While we’re being sexist (the mornings are exempt from being PC) … check this out …

152. arnie says:

153. arnie says:

Rasp. 🙂 🙂

154. arnie says:

For no specific reason ….

My @9:07 may be of interest to Raddy and Terry 🙂

Rasp

Oh how convenient. When you want to break the respectable site filth laws, it’s suddenly ok 🙂

Micky,

i am ignoring you for your own good.

Big Brenda saw your comment earlier, “I could swear there was an enormous bloke sliding around the room in brothel creepers”

She’s not keen on being referred to like that and said she was ‘going to snap you like a twig’. 🙂

In the height of passion I once whispered ‘Oh, Harriet, Harriet’ and she heard me, altho how she managed that from the other end of the kitchen I will never know, and she threatened to…..well you won;t want to know.

It took me at least a minute to convince her that ‘Harriet’ and ‘Big’ (my sweetheart name for her) was so similar she was simply mistaken. I used the word ‘simply’ but you should construe nothing from that. 🙂

Look, Micky, she already is saving for a fare to Denmark to wreak havoc on Raddy because I once said ‘he sings beautifully’, altho at the rate of 10p a week he has some time yet, but in your case, she has already started hitch hiking to Somerset (I lied to her for you) but she is on her way! 🙂

Get outa here Micky, don’t tell me you couldn’t see the logic in that clip 😆

I have loved the vids this morning – thank you all – except for the rude ones – obviously. 🙂

……………..New Post ………………

arnie,

I have perfected the AA ‘ignore’ comment, The art is in ensuring to take the mickey in such a way that no one realises I have done it — and the pìece de résistance is to then complain about it. 😀

P.S. except for Rasper, of course, I just like pulling his leg!!

Rasp,