Last year ended on a high note with a Cup Victory, a trophy at last…
We started this year with another Cup Victory, albeit less important and prestigious.
However, and despite a good summer transfer window (Debuchy, Chambers, Sanchez, Welbeck, we are really struggling to hit heights in the EPL and are performing ok in the Champions League. The question is why?
Is it due to the fact that our club seems to attract injuries to key players like vodka attracts the Russians? Is it due to the fact that some gaps in our teams were not addressed during this summer (CB and DM)? Is it due to the fact that some players are just below par most of the time (Ozil, Wilshere)? Is it due to the fact that our game is too predictable and horizontal and does not have enough verticality to it? Is it a bit of everything mentioned above? I cannot answer as it is too early in the season.
However, I see that our main rivals are doing well:
– Chelsea seems stronger than ever and are comfortable on all fronts, at home, away and in the domestic and European cups;
– Man City is still struggling in Europe but is strong in the EPL;
– Man Utd is ahead of us despite disastrous start and embarassing defeats;
– Liverpool is level with us despite a heavy outcry about the lack of results since the beginning of the season and same with Tottenham.
So my questions are as follows:
- Did we just get used to playing second fiddle to Chelsea and the Manchester teams?
- Are we in a crisis already? And if you believe so, what shall we do to address this situation?
Written by RC78