Calum Chambers and the Baptism of Fire

No not J K Rowling’s latest best seller but an appraisal of the meteoric rise and rise of a young footballer.

callum chambers

There can be no doubt that this young man’s explosive entry onto the Premiership stage has taken more than a few people by surprise. Only at the start of last season did he make his First Team league debut, playing a full ninety minutes of Southampton’s first game of the 2013/14 campaign at right back against West Bromwich Albion and this just seventeen days after signing a new four year contract with the Hampshire club.

Calum had joined Southampton at the tender age of seven and had risen through the Academy ranks until it was announced that he was one of four players promoted to the first team squad at the start of the 2012/13season.

During the next season he made twenty-five appearances in all, twenty-two of them in the league.

During the summer break Arsenal stepped in with a bid, believed to be potentially as high as £16 million, for the nineteen year old. On the 28th July 2014 he signed a long term contract with Arsenal.

With Bacary Sagna’s departure, Chambers was initially seen as a back-up for Mathieu Debuchy who had been signed from Newcastle United only a few days before, but it soon became apparent that he could just as well provide cover at centre-back. Indeed his very first game for Arsenal was in place of the absent Per Mertesacker in the 5 – 1 win over Benfica in the pre-season Emirates Cup.

At the time Arsene Wenger said that he, Chambers, would be used sparingly as he was only nineteen and had little experience of top flight football. Although signed as a right-back, he could also play at Centre-back but would, probably, in the future end up as a defensive mid-fielder. He would most likely play no more than perhaps twenty games in the season, concentrating on the cup competitions.

However, Chambers’ competitive debut for Arsenal was to be at Centre-back against last season’s champions Manchester City in the Community Shield at Wembley, a game Arsenal won 3 – 0.

After the match the BBC picked Chambers out for special praise stating “his mature performance defied his youthful years”.

Since the start of the season Chambers has been ever present for Arsenal in their seven Premiership matches against Crystal Palace, Everton, Leicester, Manchester City, Aston Villa, Tottenham and Chelsea. In addition he has played in the Champions League against Besiktas (home and away) and Galatasaray, and in the Capital One Cup. To cap a momentous period in his so far short career on the 3rd September he made his first appearance for the full England team as a substitute right-back, coming on for the last nine minutes in the 1 – 0 win over Norway.

On Tuesday he was called up from the England U21s to fill the vacant right-back berth vacated by the injured John Stones in the full England squad.

Chambers has received widespread praise for his composed, intelligent defending, he has good pace and excellent ball control and has shown the willingness and confidence to have a shot on goal when the chance arrives. Whilst he has accumulated five yellow cards in seven Premiership games, and one in the Champions League, there is no suggestion that he is a “dirty” player.

In none of the high profile games he has played has he been “found out” be they at a packed Wembley for the Community Shield or against the current run-away leaders of the Premiership, the current Champions or in the hostile atmosphere of Ataturk Olympic Stadium, Istanbul against Besiktas.

Early days yet maybe, but so far he has come through a severe baptism of fire virtually unscathed.

Written by  Norfolk Gooner.

150 Responses to Calum Chambers and the Baptism of Fire

Calum Chambers … the sky’s the limit ….

Terrific article Norfolk, thank you.

I believe I’ve said before that I see Chambers as THE signing of the summer, and I meant by any club.

I was sort of factoring in value, age, potential, versatility and that sort of thing.

It’s going to be interesting to find out which position he ends up in, and right now, the midfield option looks very attractive to us.

However, I also said that he will topple Mert as first choice alongside Kos by the end of this season.

RA
    Saw your comment, and hatches battened 🙂
    Also, heard a very unfunny joke last night, but reckon it might appeal to your mathsy way of seeing things: “There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don’t.”

4. liambaldock says:

Completely agree and think he’s a marvellous signing. I was a bit hesitant over the fee to begin with but now it just seems like a master-class from Wenger. Let’s face it, had he gone to Chelsea for that money and turned out this good, we would all be moaning that we missed out on yet another wonder-kid.

His rash challenges will stop, alongside the bookings when he ages but that’s not to worry yet as like you said, he’s yet to be ‘found out’.

Good article, and he’s becoming one of my favourite players right now.

NG. Love the title! Let’s not over-hype the lad. He has much to learn and had Debuchy not fallen over he would have limited exposure. That said, my S’ton chums say he is better than Luke Shaw and was the player most S’ton fans least wanted to lbw sold.

Micky. Great joke (I don’t understand it but complimented you to look intelligent)

Liam. it is always enjoyable to read your comments.

Like your blog which is well organised and looks great – well done.

7. Pat7 says:

I agree Micky that he will topple Per this season or at least be a rotating third man with Kos and Per but would love to see him in the HM role….early days though and his more recent over-used hands and pushing seem to be collecting yellows; i don’t recall him doing so much of that in the early games.

I came here to respond to an RA comment, but he hasn’t made one…..miserable sod 😀

Fine post Norfolk, Chambers has certainly started very well, although I would prefer a fews more games without picking up yellows, this is not a dirty thing but just being a bit smarter….he needs to remember playing for Arsenal he will get bookings for innocuous challenges as the ref’s feel they have to level it up.

Fair play to him though as Koscielny also picked up a lot of yellows in his early games for the club, but he was often guilty of picking up the second yellow too and trudging off the pitch. Something Chambers hasn’t managed yet, although he did perhaps pick up the most ridiculous booking ever when he came on the pitch to early, but even that did not appear to phase the young man.

As I warned early on in the season, we must hope that his early promise does not turn into Phil Jones, Johnny Evans, Chris Smalling etc and instead he is more Gary Cahill in his continued development, the one difference between Cahill and Chambers is that Chambers has made the step up a lot earlier more in line with Jones and Smalling, so needs to continue to grow whilst playing under high profile spotlight.

Excellent post NG. I like the fact that Calum is not just a defender, he’s a modern defender who can play football. If you watch the clip above, you will see that whenever he makes a header out of defence, he always tries to find a midfielder – and usually succeeds.

A very good Post, Norfolkian. 🙂

It is amazing how quickly Callum has settled in and becomes ‘one of us’. It is also unusual that a youngster at a new high profile club can be used in more than one position and look so accomplished in both of them.

Micky and Sir Raddish, 🙂

It is painful to explain a lovely math joke, but binary as you know is displayed by a combination of ‘0’ and ‘1’, or ‘on’ and ‘off’ so to use a decimal number to state the types (10) is brilliant and very funny. 🙂

Here is a ‘couple’ for you;

1) A talking sheepdog gets all the sheep in the pen for his farmer. He comes back and says ‘All 40 accounted for.’
    The Farmer says, ‘But I’ve only got 36!’ The Sheepdog replies, ‘I know, but I rounded them up.’

2) [For Tricky Micky]
    Two cats called ‘1, 2, 3’ and ‘un, deux, trois’ had a swim race across channel.

‘1, 2, 3’ cat won because ‘un, deux, trois’ cat sank!

3) I hired an odd-job man to do 8 jobs for me.
    When I got back, he had only done jobs 1, 3, 5, and 7

How dare you, GIE, and after I gave you life changing advice on bringing children up this morning. 🙂

RA
    Two more maths jokes

For me: “When Noah sends his animals to go forth and multiply, a pair of snakes replies “We can’t multiply, we’re adders”

For you:
    Person 1: What’s the integral of 1/cabin with respect to cabin?Person 2: A log cabin.
    Person 1: No, a houseboat; you forgot to add the C!
    The first part of this joke relies on the fact that the primitive (formed when finding the antiderivative) of the function 1/x is log(x). The second part is then based on the fact that the antiderivative is actually a class of functions, requiring the inclusion of a constant of integration, usually denoted as C—something which calculus students may forget. Thus, the indefinite integral of 1/cabin is “log(cabin) + C”, or “A log cabin plus the sea”, i.e., “A houseboat”.

And finally, again for you:
    Why do mathematicians confuse Halloween and Christmas?Because 31 Oct = 25 Dec.
    The play on words lies in the similarity of the abbreviation for October/Octal and December/Decimal, and the coincidence that the two representations equal the same amount 31(little 8) = 25(little 10).
    Sorry, can’t find the little numbers on keyboard 😦

Back to work

RA they are brilliant one-liners.

I will add them to my favourite joke list, which only has one on it:

What’s Orange and sounds like a parrot?

Micky a maths joke that you have to explain is only a joke for mathematicians.

17. liambaldock says:

Thanks Raddy. Any chance of a follow? Would help me out.
    Looking forward to your next piece.

18. Norfolk Gooner says:

g’day all,

Back briefly to the post, RA, yes there may well be a tendancy to over hype Chambers, but he seems to be a well grounded (not a reference to the Costa Concordia) individual so hopefully he won’t have his head turned by such early praise.

Whilst no-one can deny our need for a commanding defensive mid-fielder I do hope that Wenger doesn’t push him forward to fill the gap. With Debuchy out for the forseeable future surely it will be necessary to keep the lad at right-back. Having watched his calm composed style of play I think there is more than a hint of the Bobby Moore about him.

On now to the maths jokes, How did the mathematician cure his constipation? He worked it out with a pencil…. boom! boom!

19. Pat7 says:

Norfolk, i’d like to see Bellerin play more to bring him into the mix and share the load which would leave Chambers to try the HM position or rest Per/Kos.

Brilliant Norfolk

Chambers. What a lad. The guy looks and plays like a superhero. Would look great in a cape.

If only we had three of this boy wonder. One at right back, one at centre back, and the other in holding midfield. We would be unstoppable

Anyway, hows things hanging Norfolk?

Do you know a farm up in North Norfolk Norfolk? I went up there about 10 years ago on some team building course, but cant remember the name.

It had plenty of cows, sheep, and other strange animals. One of the sheep was called Henrietta, perhaps you know it?

The farm managers name was Joe, lovely bloke. He was showing us around these weird looking poultry. He grabbed one and said, “The first thing you do, is here on sex this bird”, looking directly at our fit receptionist.

I got a bit alarmed, “We don’t do things like that in London mate. we ask first”. He gave me a dirty look, but I knew I had said the right thing.

He then showed us some pigs, and again eyeing up the receptionist, “We give them some good grind, they luv it”

I couldn’t believe this bloke, he was obliviously a threat to society. “Now listen here mate, youve obviously spent to much time around sheep. If you don’t cut it out ime going to report you”

He ignored me and started leading us round to the chicken pen. i fell a bit behind and when turning round a barn corner, all my workmates had gone but Joe was waiting and proceeded to flatten me with a kick he must have learned off the mules.

“Ime gona fleece you boy”

“Argghh, get off, your hurting me. You cant fleece me you big pudding, I aint got no money”

“Here me good boy, this is how we talk down these here parts. Dont mean nothing by it”

“ok ok, ime sorry”

“ok, good then. We wont think nothing more of it. Now come on here with me to that coup so I can show you a Prize Cock”

Ive never ran so hard in my life.

Very good indeed, NG, ta.

What a brilliant start the lad’s had.
    Nothing seems to faze him.
    It’s almost as if, at 19, he’s still playing with a youthful naivety and still shows great confidence in his own abilities.
    He showed composure even when coming on early at Leicester for Kos.
    Hopefully he can go on to become an Arsenal great.

23. Norfolk Gooner says:

Terry was that farmer an elderly bloke, very well spoken but with a faintly Greek accent?

At least nobody got you bending down to examine the rooting system of the sugar beat.

Well, that’s marvellous, I leave the blog for while and return to maths/calculus jokes! 😉 Micky I am in a state of shock.

OK, here’s one for you and GN5;

Three statisticians go out hunting together. After a while they spot a solitary rabbit. The first statistician takes aim and overshoots the rabbit. The second aims and undershoots. The third shouts out “We got him!”

Statistics, eh? 🙂

Nice one Norfolk – Calum is a star. But – word or warning – at some point in the next 18 months he’ll have a dip in form, at which point the idiots will be out and about saying he’s ‘not good enough for The Arsenal.”

Exactly what happened to a young Tony Adams.

Like TA, Calum will come through it and emerge as an Arsenal legend.

And I guess we’re going to see even more of Calum now that Kozzer has become the latest player to pick up a knack.

Very funny comments today.

Terry
    I once went camping in Norfolk. We were looking for somewhere to pitch our tent and we found a likely field, but wanted to ask the farmer’s permission.

There was a farmhand nearby so we asked him where we could find the farmer. He replied: “‘E’s over thaar, sitting on his arse.”

Off we went in search of what we assumed must be a very lazy farmer.

In fact we found him astride a fine stallion…

And he let us pitch our tent.

He did not have a daughter.

The only maths joke I know is this:
    “A statistician is someone who is good with numbers but lacks the personality to be an accountant.”

Q: Why do they never serve beer at a maths party?
    A: Because you can’t drink and derive…

“Lacks the personality to be an accountant”

Christ almighty Rock, youve given me the shivers. Think I need a le down

If I ever meet a statistician ime calling the police.

31. Norfolk Gooner says:

An old Norfolk boy once said to me “Du yew want ta see a fule in Norfolk, you’d best bring him alonga yew”

32. Norfolk Gooner says:

Stop Press!! Stop Press!! Stop Press!!

The FA and the Premier League, with the full aggreement of UEFA have stated that due to the exceptional number of players on their injury list Arsenal are to be granted two days each month on which they can buy in or take on loan additional players outside of the statutory transfer windows.

RA/arnie/Raddy/Steve

Thanks you for your comments.

For the record the main reason that I will not write any more articles is that a few months back I submitted 2 articles and one quiz and they have never been published – so why should I bother?

For those of you who read this morning’s nutcase twitterings, you will know that I almost got into trouble with Big Brenda over conversations with Micky and Randy.

Well I have an update for you.

She ‘phoned me and said, “Do you love your math more than me?”

To which I quickly said, “Of course not, dear – I love you much more.”

There was a pause on the ‘phone and then she said, “Well prove it!”

“OK” I replied….. “Let R be the set of all loveable objects, and ……”

She hung up!!

Women. 😦

GN5,

Sorry, I just noticed your comment.

There must be a communication error, as we all love your anecdotes, altho’ I think you may have guessed I am not big into quizzes, most of the AA bloggers enjoy them.

Rasp and Peaches would not knowingly reject any of your work, and when they read you comment I am sure this will be cleared up.

On another matter, when is your op scheduled for?

Norfolkian,

I think you caught the good ol’ Norfolk guy on a good day, else he would have said;

‘Ha’ yew gotta light, boy?” and if you had said ‘whaffor?’ He would have blasted you with, “Du yew want ta see a fule in Norfolk, you’d best look in that there mirror alonga side of yew, boy”

Too much turkey you see. 🙂

Thanks Redders, we’re checking back. There was a period in the summer when it all got a bit fraught (and I went missing) – apologies to GN5 if his posts were overlooked – nothing intentional

I’ve spent all day wondering what’s the answer to Exile’s joke, and it is not going well.

“What’s Orange and sounds like a parrot?”

I’ve got as far as David Dickinson, a liberal and errr…. it’s pathetic really. Ooo, hang on, a phone?

Bad news: Kos and Ospina injured.

Fabulous news: transfer speculation is back on. According to The Star at leas. £50m in jan. How great is that 🙂

Oi Rasp

I sent in two that didn’t get published in the summer. I demand action as well 🙂

In fact, a Coup could be on the cards.

Oh shit, just remembered, no-one wants the job you and Peaches do 😦

Coup off.

An orange parrot, Rasper, — maybe?

Duh, I meant Micky — Rasp would have cracked it hours ago! 😀

Do you know the answer RA?

Not really, Micky.

A carrot is orange, and [ carrot sounds like parrot ]

GIE probably heard that from his little 5 year old feller. 🙂

Oh god. Just shouted out the joke and my son got it in one second 😦

And with all due respect, Rasp, I demand a recount too — I did not send any Posts in, and none were published.

What a cheek! 🙂

Back to maths jokes? 🙂

I thought the Halloween Oct 8, Dec 10, one was good, but not remotely funny.

Going outside.

And the answer was,Micky? 🙂

RA 🙂

Bye

50. jnyc says:

It still astounds me that if Arsene had not noticed Calum playing against us, we may never have been in for him. At lesst thats the way I heard it.

Id like to keep Chambers from overwork, not because he cant physically handle it, but because a rest occasionally means slightly less chance of game injury and picking up cards.

With kozzer carrying a physical issue, id like to see bellerin get game time at rb especially against our next few upcoming opponents. Maybe rest koz and use chambers at cb a bit..

Bellerin is a top prospect and needs to get experience, I understand not against City or chelsea, but without cap one cup, we need to take these opportunities, and not overplay chambers. He is super important to the club being main backup in 2 big positions.

And by the way, Even with ozil bad news, I still think we can go on a run. No one has a deeper or more talented midfield than us. I dont feel bad at all when I see santi, rosicky, etc in the line up. Maybe even some game time for poldi or everyone’s favorite campbell. The versatility Arsene preaches will also come in to play.

jnyc. It seems highly unlikely that AFC would spend millions of pounds without having detailed reports on a player. It cannot be that AW only noticed him after our game.

Good call about playing Bellerin at RB & Chambers left side CB allowing Kos some rest.

4 AFC starters for England and Ox on the bench!

At last an England game I can watch with interest

Good points, jnyc. 🙂

I think the scouting system would have spotted a number of players throughout Europe, some of whom would not have been available, some would have gone to the other top teams and so on.

You are right tho’ that Arsene would have wanted to run the rule over any player we were interested in and watching a player in a competitive game against us would have confirmed or confounded the scouts assessments.

However it came about it certainly is fantastic for us, and I also agree with you we must resist the temptation to overplay him — tho’ our roster of injured players makes that difficult at the moment.

Bellerin will play against Hull as Calum is suspended. 🙂

Lovely post Norfolk. AW has indeed pulled one out of the hat with Chambers IMO. I agree with those that say we still need patience as he may have a dip. Then again maybe he will not.

I would also like to see him have a go at DM because he could genuinely be the answer there and potentially a world class one at that.

I do love the BFG and see him giving us a few more years as a valuable player across a season, but as a 1st 11 starter against the best sides we need more pace now. So for me it is Chambers into DMand a new shiny (pacy) CB or Chambers to ease the BFG into 3rd choice CB and a new shiny DM.

I have had a skim read of other comments but will go back over them more when I can, but can I say that the maths jokes are far too sowfistykated…sofisticated…(google on-line dictionary), that’s it, sophisticated, for a mere ex camel wormer so I shan’t comment. I would like to point out though that carrot’s can’t talk so they cannot sound like a parrot. How stupid are you lot.

Wow, England playing tonight, and, on proper telly 🙂

So if Bellerin plays RB against Hull and Kozzer is out with a double Achilles knack, who plays CB alongside the BFG?

Is Nacho due back any time soon?

I have never heard Andy Townshend say anything positive about JW. The man is a quasi-Irish twat.

Pseudo-Irish, I think BR

3-5-2 against Hull, Rocky?

I would 🙂

Me like BR 🙂

TPIG
    Bell-BFG-Gibbo
    Oxo-Flam-TR7-Santi-Alexis
    Jack
    Welbz

RL. Certainly a pseudo 🙂

Can’t find an acceptable stream. V disappointing.

Quite an interesting game in the context of discussions we had here about getting past a bus.

I even have to turn tyldsely and townsend off for England games. Utter wank.

Id imagine Hayden will play against Hull

BRRL, or is that RLBR? I think we should just go for it with the youngsters and play Bellerin at RFB and Haydn alongside the BFG. They have to be dropped in there some time so no time better than a time of defensive crisis.

67. Hello all

The Ox on. Come on The Arsenal boys show them what’s what.

68. Just realised I’m probably Rasp 😦

Oh that’s it Chas, steal my thunder, just because you type quicker than poor old Edward GoonerB hands.

BTW am I the only one that wants all our players off the pitch now?

5 Arsenal players in the England team

72. Whereas of course I’m not a Rasp, I’m peaches ……. Off to the cupboard to sort this out

well well well, Alex to Danny and bingo 🙂

Thanks Eddie. Just so I know. You could have just given me a straight to the point answer though.

75. Serious identity crisis going on here, it’s says it’s me but I’m stuck with Rasp’s avatar.

Going to need a post for tomorrow ….. that’s definitely me 😉

76. Here I am, chocolate legs and all 🙂

It is saying something that even with players like Ollie, Walcott, Ramsey and Ozil missing we can still field a world class midfield and attack. The defence though?….shudder shudder.

GB 🙂 Welbeck is off now, you happy?

I am thinking more Gibbs and Chambers Eddie.

and ox assist again!

right Peaches, tomorrow’s post has to be about our boys playing for England. We could all chip in and write about a player each. I could take Ox on 🙂

81. 4-0 Roy can bring on all the ‘pool players now 😉

82. I don’t need any extra work thanks Eddie, one post writer is quite enough

I am sure you could Eddie, but you need to write about him as well.

Thinking ahead to Hull, I’m worried sick about some of the gaping holes in our Sick/Suspended XI.

…….Giroud
    Mesut Aaron Theo
    ….Arteta Diaby
    Nach Kos Cham Deb
    ………Ospina

85. That’s a bit of a team we’ve got in the sick bay including Chambers suspended 😦

Peaches

Not happy about my top left sick spot.

Bit like the Fit XI

Jack is Man of the Match 🙂

Townsend just named Jack Motm. Made me drop my vintage Rioja. BAS–RD

Spain with Fab & Costa etc lost to Slovakia!

90. Bayonne Jean says:

By the way, if Ospina is injured and with TPIG suspended, who will start and who will be backup in Belgium for CL match?

Martinez, Bayonne?

Anyway, enough about football. Fact is this, any way you look at it, Rick Astley was a better and more original musician than Paul McCartney.

According to The Star, we’re in for………. 🙂

where?

Wow, that is the best news I have heard for a looooong time! All 20 EPL clubs have a first aider treating mental health issues! Fantastic, what progress since the shame surrounding mental health only a couple of decades ago. I am genuinely impressed and happy about it

According to The Star, we’re in for… ebola outbreak in UK
    According to The Star, we’re in for….UKIP winning next election
    According to The Star, we’re in for….Arsenal claiming treble this season?

Where, Why, When….yeah yeah yeah

‘Er what is on high wants a post!!!

Can’t think of anything. Rant and Rolf Friday?

You vote: Ollie or Danny. (ok stupid idea 🙂 )

“Is there a God and if so, why does he keep fecking with The Arsenal?”

“How many fabulously created chances by Jack does gilf-boy need before he spawns a deflection?”

“what do hippies do in Iceland?”

“how much fun is it going to be watching the u21s play in the Premier League?”

Eddie
    What do you read in the morning to unearth gems such as the mental health stuff?

Roy Keane on Fergie “If we cross paths. I’m sure we will … cross paths, that is. Lots of stuff I let go, but eventually you have to go, enough is enough. You have to defend yourself.” He also said that he is looking forward to that 🙂 Fantastic!! Will he deck Sir Alex? I hope he kicks the shit out of the old devil

Chas
    That’s a great wave pic. It really is like being in a tumble dryer when you go under a big ‘un

micky – I watch news on 3 different channels, love it. Current affairs are fascinating! Take BBC for example – second part of news featuring a horse walking into a police station. what dafaque?

Yep, the banding on the wave is fascinating.

Oh, Micky, stop it.

When you ‘go under’ a teensy weeny wave in Devon or Cornwall, that is just a gentle caress.

Get ‘thrown’ from the top of a 20 footer on the North Shore of Oahu, – then you can claim to get tumbled. 🙂

And I don’t surf – it happened when I was swimming! Thought I was a goner, not a Gooner, and my back looked like it had been sprayed with a pebble gun. 😦

Interesting

110. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all, Fishing all day yesterday so i missed this fine post, Norfolk you have your hand on the button mate.

Chamber’s i have said before is Arsenals signing of the decade, i don’t care about the others been signed, as i am sure their quality will show through.

As you said £16 million for a 19 year old was a fortune for a club that has penny pinched for many years. Wenger must have seen something in young Chambers, and probably had his eye on him since he prised The Ox away from Southampton.

Southampton it has to be said, has produced a lot of young talent, they must have made a few bob, and good luck to them. It appears that Wenger has a good relationship with Southampton and long may it last.

In one of the other comments, somebody stated that had Chelsea had brought Calum then we would have ended up moaning, that made me smile as Calums signing is not high profile enough for someone like Mourinho he buys players who have been nurtured where our man just spots talent.

Calum Chambers seems to me, to be an ideal replacement for Per Mertsacker, it seems pretty obvious to me that Per Merts is our weak link in defence. Now i don’t like knocking players who try, but Merts is slow and it stops him from challenging at times and i don’t like that.

Chambers as you rightly said has not been shown up, and i don’t think he will, yes he will make mistakes who doesn’t, but he will miss tackles and he may look silly at times, but he will pick himself up and he will chase back, and he will be like a dog with a bone, he wont give up.

Yes as you say, he has picked up cards, and it won’t be long before he gets his marching orders in one of the games, but that of course is a defender, that’s what they do, at !9 years old, this youngster is learning very fast indeed, Southampton have done a fine job on this young man , But now he’s at finishing school and Wenger will mould this young man into an Arsenal and England first Pick.

All we have ever asked for is quality signings, Arsene has found another who will be talked about for the rest of his career.

“Jose is a disgrace!” says Roy ‘I am a Saint’ Keane.

Great to see those two square up. The midget would look a lot more scared than he did when Arsene sized him up. 🙂

Worth a read.

steve –
    re Southampton prodigies – agree
    re Maurinho signing trophy players – agree
    re Chambers future star – agree
    re Per being our weakest link? ey?

114. arnie says:

Motning all.

Brilliant work, Norfolk, my pity knot bing ear. And my apols.

Happy Birthday, Rodders.

117. arnie says:

In case any AAers are in Edinburgh on Oct 23, most welcome to the following event.

Free, but you need to register.

119. arnie says:

why are we …… wishing ill of Ospina? poor soul! 😛

The French FA have criticised Arsenal for the non-treatment of Kozzer and his chronic achilles injury.

Because we are so ‘thin’ in the CB area, we cannot rest Kozzer and the outcome for him is likely to be very serious on a personal as well as a club level.

Have to say that on the face of it we might feel a bit cross that AW did not bring in cover there during the Window. But in fact he did have Chambers up his sleeve, and could not foresee that an injury to Debuchy would require him to cover at full back.

But then, Bellerin could be deployed there, and Calum would be Kozzer’s cover after all, but it is a bit of a fire fighting exercise and does not bode well for the remainder of the season.

And by the way – apologies for not bidding you all ‘Good Morning’. 🙂

121. arnie says:

Calum, what a star! I hope the burden of expectations and followed by the evil whiplash do not become too big for the young shoulders!

Redders. Motning as well. Are you feeling loved and cared for? 😛

Happy Birthday,, Charlie, as well.

micky – BBC now!! the mental health

124. arnie says:

My car has been hit by owls in flight, twice. If it were a plane, it would be crocked and I would return to AA as a ghost. No such luck!

My car has also been hit by deer on the run, thrice. That was all right, no major damage either way. Deer are fast.

But, day before yesterday, late in the evening while returning home, my car was hit by a small animal. There were bloody roadworks and a convoy system. To avoid, I tried to explore a side road. Turned in, maybe at 30mph, and something smallish jumped from the bushes on the left right in front of the car.

Bloody idiot, screech and tumble, two impacts, front of car and back wheel. Dear, oh dear, one life lost is what I thought. What could it be, I wondered. A wild cat would be too quick to hit, perhaps a fox? Oh dear, a dead fox then.

Disaster mark 2, it turned out to be a blind road. Ended in a farm. I turned back, hoping to survey the damage done on the way back.

No such luck, or lack thereof! Nothing on or around the road, not even a drop of blood. Nothing under the car as well.

Hmmmm. Spooky! 🙂

Peaches. Do we have a post? Shall I write one?

chas. Bathing in hot springs and communing with nature

arnie. Do you aim at the wildlife? There is a restaurant in New Zealand which only serves road-kill meats. Are you a supplier?

126. arnie says:

Raddy. Havent thought about that. But, now that you mention, hmmmm. 😛

Yes please, another rant Friday! 🙂

Post sent

At least, brief conversation starter.

Micky. Good work. Hope we hear more about your family

129. arnie says:

Unlike many other parts of the world, where wildlife has been wiped out centuries back, there is serious wildlife in Botland. And they get killed on the roads. Sad, but fact of life.

No Raddy,
    That requires more thought, as I need to exercise extreme care about which sordid aspects to omit. Ghastly lot.

Morning arnie,

You seem to be on a mission to destroy the wildlife of Scotland.

To hit an owl once is an achievement, to hit two is downright evil genius.

Eddie will be on your case. 🙂

Arnie,
    That’s not strictly true about the wildlife in Scotland, given that vast areas of my favourite country are made up of the completely de-forested Highlands, and are in fact pretty thin when it comes to fauna.

Is arnie related to you Micky? He sounds like one of yours! 🙂

Mmmmm, hot springs and a bit of communing.

When we were up in Scotland 2 weeks back, there was road kill all over.

The more sordid aspects the better as far as I’m concerned.

I have eaten at this place. It was surreal and quite frankly awful.

There is quite a lot of road kill in Norfolk too.

Much of it is the Norfolk sparrow or pheasant who seem pretty unclear about the highway code and loitering in the road.

Two things I found disturbing, was coming across a magnificent deer with antlers, when I saw them sticking out of the side of a copse.

It was still alive when I went to investigate and had clearly been hit by a car. Sadly it was still alive and clearly suffering from at least a broken leg.

What does one do in those circumstances? I would have put him to sleep if I had a gun, or even a knife – not that I have ever killed anything before, but I did not. Just driving away seemed callous.

I stayed with him for about 10 minutes trying to soothe it, and he made a huge sigh and died. Not nice.

The other was a young badger and a swan that were lying on the side of the road within 50 yards of each other. The same driver? Just bad luck it was the same stretch of road.

Cars, people and animals are just not a good mix on roads.

Micky,

When you say you have submitted a conversation starter, is it one of those where I chat to myself most of the day? 🙂

RA. Probably 🙂

140. RC78 says:

Excellent post about an excellent player 🙂

The good surprise of the season for us so far. We all knew about Sanchez skills and to a certain extent those of Debuchy and of the potential of Wellbeck. The one mystery was Chambers and to be fair, what a great acquisition! The boy is solid at the back albeit some positioning and fouling issues at time but a real gem. AW has made an astute acquisition and certainly another English player who will in time become a regular in the England shirt as well…

Now, we need to:

1. Allow him to grow into a position as of next year as this year we are really using him everywhere and any where;
    2. Make sure that we do not “burn” him by overplaying him and by making sure he does not get big-headed…

A fair point made by many of us in the last couple of months is that Arsenal is definitely becoming a major source for the England squad, which is comforting in an era where big clubs hardly play British players in their starting XI…We could almost field a strong XI with only English players:

Szecesny – CHAMBERS, Per, Kos, GIBBS – OX, WILSHERE, RAMSEY – WALCOTT, WELBECK, Sanchez

and let us not forget that Akpom has good potential as well…

If the middle three remains disciplined defensively, it could be quite a team composed of 7 British players 🙂

I am a PSG-fan since my boyhood since I grew up nearby the training ground and I can tell you that when I look at our team, I am sad to see:

– Only 1 French player starting (Matuidi);
    – Some of your best young talent leaving our squad (Coman when to Juve for free; Ongenda is on loan at Bastia; Rabiot is on his way out in January or in June; Areola is on loan as well) and struggling to make it to the first team;
    – Some confirmed French players like Cabaye and Digne are benchwarmers so far although Digne’s future looks brighter than Cabaye’s in a PSG shirt at the moment;
    – Our back-up keeper is French, Douchez, and he has lost all his confidence and is just happy to warm the bench because when he comes on, he is erratic and lets goals in for fun 😦

Anyways, it s great to see Arsenal also fielding nationals of the country it represents on the European stage.;;

Raddy
    That restaurant does sound awful. On their “Road Kill” menu, they list Whitebait!! Flying fish version?

Reassuringly, it goes on to say “2013 Our Pub has temporally closed due to the lack of Tourists”….Phew 🙂

RA
    I really think you need to get over yourself, what with all this “no-one talks to me” blubbing. Trying being me at 5:30am. It’s a lonely place. Seek inner peace. I sought, and I found calm 🙂

We have …..

A new Post

144. Great website. Plenty of helpful information here. I am sending it to several pals ans additionally sharing in delicious.
    And of course, thank you in your effort!

145. Hello terrific website! Does running a blog like this take a large amount of work?
    I have absolutely no understanding of coding however I had been hoping to
    start my own blog in the near future. Anyhow, should you
    have any recommendations or tips for new blog owners please share.
    I know this is off subject however I just wanted
    to ask. Thanks!