Reasons to be Cheerful

This site prides itself upon reasoned good sense. Between us we have hundreds of years of Gooner-dom, we are Arsenal through and through.

I resent people coming onto the site calling themselves “Proper Supporters” and casting aspersions upon our bloggers just because they are critical of the goings on at The Emirates, these fellows know sweet FA about our bloggers.  However, this week has seen an unusual level of negativity on Arsenal Arsenal.

But today let’s look at the positives ….. Doomers look away 😀

1. We are unbeaten in 6 games. Why are so many saying we are worse than last season and playing rubbish? Three away games, two home games both of which have been won and a win at Wembley. Pretty good I would say.

2. Problems in midfield. Much has been written about players not gelling or being unable to play together (I am as culpable as any!). At least we have brilliant players who will definitely gel at some point, we have the most creative midfield in the PL. Time will show why Mr Wenger decided we did not need the genius of Fabregas.

3. Injuries. Walcott is returning as is Diaby. Don’t laugh, we have a huge squad and with the signing of Welbeck cover for every position (I know, I know – CB?) Last season our season suffered when Theo got hurt; we lost pace, now we have Sanchez and Welbeck pace will not be an issue.

4. Ambition. Arsenal have just spent £85m in the window. We have three times spent more than our previous record signing (pre-Ozil).

5. Had the squad been injury-free it would have supplied Gibbs, Walcott, Ox, Wilshire, Welbeck and Chambers to the England squad – 6 young men and the future of our national team. Add in Ramsey and we can be proud of our British core.

6. Youth. Walcott, Ox, Ramsey, Szczesny, Wilshere and Gibbs all started in the team as teenagers. Now we have Chambers who appears to be another youngster with a bright future. We are set up for many years of success.

7. Experience. Most of our young men have 100+ PL games already. Add in the older members of the squad and we have battle hardened squad to take us to success. Some of our players are easing themselves into good form and we struggle when Ramsey etc are half a yard off the pace but it will come.

8. Centre Backs. We have one of the best CB partnerships in the PL. Pace and wisdom. Many point out the weakness should injury befall either of our CB’s but Chambers looks the real deal and it should be remembered that Tony Adams captained AFC at 21. Chambers is the nearest to the Great Man I have seen at Arsenal for over a decade. He will be adequate cover. Should both CB’s get injured I accept we will struggle.

9. Attack. Let us start with Ozil. The man has been criticised about his lack of impact. He has played 3 games since winning the WC, of course he isn’t up to speed! Mr. Wenger clearly realised that at the moment Sanogo is not good enough – he has the attributes but appears to try too hard and this makes him look clumsy – so Welbeck was bought. Should we have paid twice as much to get Falcao for a season or three times to get Cavani? Perhaps, but Mr Wenger has clearly decided that OG, Walcott and Sanchez is a formidable forward line, and he is right.

We have Podolski and Campbell to come on as impact subs.

10. Oxlade-Chamberlain. This will be his season. He can play almost anywhere; behind the front three, on the left wing, right wing, central midfield and some have suggested (including Mr.Wenger) that he has the talent to become a defensive midfielder. With his pace it is quite possible.

I could and probably will go on giving Reasons to to be Cheerful but in essence we have reasons to be confident and not slam the club when things are going reasonably well. Sure there are areas to improve upon – there always will be but we are not going to do an MU and not even make the Europa.

We are the 5th most expensive team in the PL and will be fighting as ever for a top 4 place. We have the capability to win the title and with a bit of luck, a tail wind and  some good form for our players we may well do so.

Oh, and in the last 3 months we have won Two pieces of silverware. Why worry?

written by Big Raddy

144 Responses to Reasons to be Cheerful

1. BR

Has there been a lot of dooming on here, I haven’t noticed it. I think you’re right, we have a lot to remain cheerful about. Welbeck looks to be a good addition and with Theo coming back soon we have a formidable front line along with Sanchez and the Ox.

I just wish Wenger would give Campbell a chance rather than your suggestion of him being an impact sub.

Hit me with your rhythm stick 🙂

3. There goes Kelsey getting all sexual and homo sapien 🙂

4. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all,
    That’s a cheery post Raddy, I like them.
    I have to say that i could have said all of that, as that is my line of thought as well, but like Northbank i haven’t been aware of Doomers.

Many i know have doubts in fact i feel we all do, we never will be happy with our squad, as we will also want more cover or more forwards or Defence.

What we have at the moment, is adequate for what we need, as you say we seem to have cover in nearly all positions, 3 goalkeepers and although i still haven’t seen Ospina, but i have seen Martinez and of course TPIG all supposedly top class.

We can all moan about injuries and what should happen should we have a few who play the same position, but all clubs have the same problem and that is thinking to far ahead.

Walcott and Diaby ( long time injuries) are nearing the point when they are fit, for how long, how longs a bit of string. but to have a full squad to chose from only allows Wenger more choices.

Arsenal are looking on paper that is, sound as the proverbial pound, 5 signings and every one of them will improve us, yes we have lost a few stalwarts, but why stand in their way.

Many believe we have only replaced, but what we have done is allowed players who had issues to go on their way and replaced with players who actually want to be here, and younger players that will last a few years longer.

Bacary was an honest working full back, but many doubted his pace, many said he had lost a yard and he would only get worse.. Of course we all get older and we all know that,, some can fend it off better than others but it catches up.

Debuchy is a couple of years younger and seems a good replacement perhaps not as attacking as Bacary but i feel his crossing is better, i would say a good replacement.

All through this squad is quality, not quite gelling yet but getting better. I have high hopes of exciting attacking play for the future how can we not be upbeat.

I wrote the post early Tuesday morning after the Leicester draw and the signing of Welbeck. Many were (and are) underwhelmed.

Perhaps not Doomers (such a modern and all-encompassing word for many shades of grey) but not happy bunnies.

I am a happy bunny, Radster, and your excellent Post has only made me more so. 🙂

It does not hurt to remind ourselves of the positives and your list is a timely reminder, and in Chambers we have a man for all seasons and it is a very welcome surprise that a youngster bought for his already good performances now looks as if we are going to see so much more of him.

Good on you my man.

7. stevepalmer1 says:

Hiya Raddy, Perhaps we all saw the shot, and have expectations 🙂

8. wally says:

My only beef would be that we paid 16 for Welbeck but could have had Mandzukic for 18. Who wouldn’t want that.

9. RA

A 6′ 5″ 20 stone happy bunny……. now that’s fucking frightening 🙂

Nothing wrong with big bunnies, NB, the only thing missing is the big ears! 🙂 [and it’s less than 1/4″ under 6’6″]

Now when I say big bunnies I am not making a veiled reference to larger mammaries either! 🙂

I’m also a bird lover and I have over 3,000 pictures that I’ve taken over the years. Hawks, Eagles and Owls have always fascinated me but unfortunately I rarely get to see any Owls.

Here is why Owls fly silently……………..

The most unique adaptation of Owl feathers is the comb-like or fimbriate (fringe-like) leading edge of the primary wing feathers referred to as “flutings” or “fimbriae”. With a normal bird in flight, air rushes over the surface of the wing, creating turbulence, which makes a gushing noise. With an Owl’s wing, the comb-like feather edge breaks down the turbulence into little groups called micro-turbulences. This effectively muffles the sound of the air rushing over the wing surface and allows the Owl to fly silently. There is also an alternate theory that the flutings actually shift the sound energy created by the wingbeats to a higher frequency spectrum, where most creatures (including prey and humans) cannot hear.

Wally,

I understand you have a different player preference, but Mandzukic is a human being too, with his own club preferences and clearly may have wanted to go to elsewhere, even if a bid had been made by Mr Wenger.

Cheers, BR.
    Reasons to be cheerful, indeed.

15. GN5

When I lived in Normandy we had an owl resident in our barn. If you were careful when walking in he/she would fly from one end to the other… approx 50 mtrs. It was an amazing sight. And it’s wing span must have been at least 1.5 mtrs. A wonderful thing.

C’mon, RA, we all know that Mandzukic was sat on the shelf at the cash and carry with an £18m price tag hanging round his neck. 🙂

Stop trying to make out it’s more complicated than that.

Morning all,

Raddy your post is superb and I suggest you do a monthly update to keep folks in tune with reality. Dooming is not a part of my personality so it really gets me down to read so much negativity, and reading your post gave me a nice boost.

Jenkinson is still an Arsenal player so we could field as many as 7 players for England.

Yeah but has Mandzukic ever played for England? No, he hasn’t – he isn’t good enough to even get in the squad

19. stevepalmer1 says:

I believe where we all have different views on who Wenger should have brought, we seem to forget why he buys who he does.

Now in the case of Giroud, many have said that he lacks pace, but his holding of the ball is very good, He is what i would call a nuisance kind of CF he is awkward but he does score goals.

Wenger brought Giroud for those qualities, and when he got injured it was never Wengers intention of replacing him with a top quality expensive player.

Wenger buys expensive players when he feels there is a need, but in Girouds case he needed cover. Taking nothing away from Welbeck but had he been a prolific scorer he would have been playing regular with United, but as he was talented and young and can score the same amount of goals as Giroud does, and was surplus to United he would make an excellent stand in.

Because we qualified for CL and the media and press anounce that we have 25 million to now buy a striker, supporters feel that a top striker Marquee in fact would be brought. Wrong thinking, just a stand in, and thats what we have.

No point at all to have to top CF with Sanogo and Campbel its obviouse that Wenger see’s them playing differently.

I was expecting a loan CF but a young unwanted Welbeck fitted the bill nicely, The only trouble if Welbeck should fire right from the start could cause a problem when Giroud is fit again

20. RC78 says:

OK – we can feel positive and cheerful but we should not be deluded :-p IMHO, Chelsea and City are a notch above in terms of team depth and quality. I, also, believe that Liverpool and Man Utd re not too far from us and I trust that Martinez and Pochetinno will do wonders with their groups in Everton and Tottenham…

So while I am optimistic about our chances to do well, I also realize that both Chelsea and City are better equipped to win the PL than we are…That said, we might keep the FA Cup and do well in the CL…

3rd place finish, FA Cup, 1/2 final CL – I would be happy with this
    1st place finish – Awesome!
    Double EPL + Cup = Double Awesome!
    Triple EPL + Cup + CL = Dream come true…

NB,

NB, where I live, London, Ontario, Canada, many of the places, roadways bear the same name as in London, England, so the river here is (naturally) named the Thames.

Anyway my wife and I take a 5/10k walk along the Thames on many occasions and usually start off at about 6:00am. We have been fortunate to see a great variety of wildlife including, Coyotes, Deer, Fox, Groundhogs, Racoons and even a Turtle laying eggs.

A pair of Bald Eagles nest by the river and so see them fly over is breathtaking, they can weigh as much as 9/10lbs and have a wing span of 6/8ft.

22. I know someone has already coined SWAG… Sanogo, Welbeck, Alexis, Giroud.

But what about a SWAT team:

Sanogo, Welbeck, Alexis, Theo

Special Weapons and Tactics 🙂

23. GN5

I often go sketching in the hills of the Cevennes, I regularly see eagles hunting and sometimes they fly quite close to where I’m sitting, I know how big they are 🙂

24. Sav from Australia says:

Got to the post late. Reasons to be cheerful – reading this post included.

Thanks Big Raddy.

25. wally says:

RA,

Indeed we don’t know whether M would have come or not.

But I don’t see Welbeck as a back to the net post/centre forward in the Giroux style. He’s more of an off the shoulder of the last defender forward.
    What i’m struggling with is how we will play going forward. If he tries to replace Giroux with Welbeck and play him as a post I think we take a step back, that’s not Welbecks strength is it. I’m hoping for something more dynamic to take advantage of our speed and skill and make better use of Oz. To play in space at speed rather than this walk the ball up the field while the other team packs the box and we begin the sideways stuff again.
    My worry, like Palmer’s, is that Wenger hasn’t uttered a word about Welbeck which makes me wonder whether Wenger even wanted the guy.

26. 26may1989 says:

chas @12.43pm

Bloody hell, that hand is tiny………

Big thunder storm going on right now the temperature is 25c going up to 31c and with the humidity it will feel like 40c.

I doubt that any player would ever be purchased without AW’s agreement – that would be the same as telling him to leave.

29. 26may1989 says:

Well done, Raddy, you’re obviously feeling loved up right now, and so you should. Lots to like about the squad – even the gaps could turn out to be blessings, given that they create opportunities for the likes of Hayden and Bellerin. As for Welbeck, he has a few months to make himself undroppable. Get on with it, Danny Boy!

The Chavs have, to my disappointment, started well, and I can see htem being the team to beat throughout the season. A little injury crisis might sort them out though. We can only hope.

As for Arsene Wenger? There ain’t half been some clever bastards…..

30. jnyc says:

All good positive points. But im still shocked we didnt get a dm/cb. Too thin there for my taste . And of course still annoyed about the last draw. That 2 points down the toilet.

But im hoping to start fresh with a man city challenge coming up. Lets surprise some people.

Jesus wept.
    Anyone who thinks Myles Palmer says anything which is not designed to garner hits has a lift which stops short of the top floor.

32. 26may1989 says:

What’s that tool been saying now, chas?

I would never read such bollocks, 26, but the comment at 2:10 suggests he’s stirring it Stewart Robson-style.

Wally,

We all have concerns about something or other, but we will just have to wait and see what the boss does in terms of the team set up and how our guys play.

Worrying about what might or might not happen is really a bit pointless, and in any event if you are worried that Arsene might play Welly as a post, wouldn’t he do the same thing to Manzukic?

If I were to come clean I would have to tell you that I would not have chosen Manzukic myself, and am very happy with Welly Welbeck. 🙂

Myles P is one of my blocked sites. Scurrilous bottom feeder who doesn’t even purport to be a Gooner.

e.g. Mr Wenger is a megalomaniac who has total control over everything that happens at AFC, much to the detriment of the club. And yet Mr Wenger doesn’t know about a prospective addition to his squad.

What complete nonsense

37. 26may1989 says:

Oh yeah, I missed that. Wenger hasn’t said something? That’s a worry? Seriously???

Talking about anticipating events, I have just read the following, which anticipates the future decision making events at three clubs as well as anticipating the likely decisions of three managers, as well as the implied success or lack thereof of all three clubs over the next 3 or 4 years.

Some folk are weird. 🙂

— “Louis van Gaal may be less than two months into his reign as the manager of Manchester United, but it would appear that a successor has already been identified in Jurgen Klopp, the well regarded coach of Borussia Dortmund.

It has been claimed [By whom?] that Dortmund officials have privately conceded that they expect Klopp to leave the club he has served so well at the end of his contract, that expires in 2018, and [they] see Old Trafford as his future destination.

However, should Manchester United indeed pursue Klopp, then he ought to resist their overtures – as tempting as they may be – in favour of a move to Arsenal after Arsene Wenger finally relinquishes power in north London.

Wenger signed a new Arsenal contract only this summer, one that ties him to the club for another three years, but there is a sense that he will retire from the position following the expiration of this contract.

Klopp would still have another 12 months remaining on his deal when Wenger’s time is up in 2017, but it should be a far more straightforward task negotiating his release with only one year left of five year agreement than if a move was made sooner.

If Dortmund already have a belief that Klopp will indeed depart [?] when the opportunity arises then, although loath to lose him, may not be particularly begrudging if he requested to leave a year early.

Should Arsenal themselves act decisively, then it would leave BVB with plenty of time to pursue a successor.

The parentheses are mine.

Ra your comment caused me to do a bit of research on Klopp. I was hoping to uncover some details of his management style. Judging by his antics during the game he appears to be the total reverse of Arsene.

This is a piece that interested me………………

Klopp metaphorically compared his approach and style of football to Heavy Metal music.

Maybe Arsene would compare his approach to say – a Foxtrot?

I agree, GN5, chalk and cheese, whatever music or dance style they represent. 🙂

Given the author of that comment was trying to look years ahead, and to predict the likely outcome of three managers’ careers, three clubs’ managerial aspirations, and the implied success of those clubs during that time, let alone the health and well-being of the individuals concerned — it is absolutely ludicrous.

RA,

After all these years I’ve decided that I chose the wrong career.

Raddy

I’m with Sav from Aus on this one:

” Reasons to be cheerful – reading this post ”

What an uplifting Fellow you are. Would have set me up perfectly for the weekend were it not for this:

Ha ha….the ““Proper Supporters”” you mention. LeGroaners?

They of the slack jaws and mouth breathing?

the girl whose wife I allegedly punched. Her wife is a hairdresser. Look at her biceps, do you believe I punched her???

off to read the post!!

In a way you have become a sports journalist, GN5, your excellent series on the history of Arsenal, and the lessons of the past put the present into perspective, and as Gooners we are strengthened in our support by the knowledge of the past history of our great club, and of those who played for us, as well as your stories of family and supporters of yesteryear.

I haven’t put that too well, but you may have come to what I suppose is a micro or blog journalism later in life, but as they say, better late than never! 🙂

Eddie,

Are you saying that if you had lost your fight against her girlfriend, you would have had to join them and become a lesbian? 😉

5th most expensive team? Really? Ozil and Sanchez must have bumped up the total 🙂

Thank you Raddy for the very accurate analysis of the reasons to be a cheerful Gunner 🙂 I am just happy that we have a great team ready to fight for trophies. If we win then it is a bonus, if we don’t, then there is always another season

RA – if I was to become a lesbian I still would not fancy Andrea. Faye White, ex Arsenal captain maybe, she has fantastic legs 🙂

I have just read that both Sturridge and Cahill have injuries after the pointless international ‘friendly’ match, but there is nothing – yet – about the Arsenal lads.

Fingers crossed.

RA,

I said…

“I should have chosen sports journalism as it requires no training, no knowledge – simply a vivid imagination and most importantly – no conscience.”

Oh, how dumb of me, I get it, you agree……..

Here are the most read articles in the Islington Gazette.

Is it really this bad?

UK’s ugliest new building could be in Holloway for second year running – ‘winner’ announced tomorrow morning.

Finsbury Park to close early in the wake of violent “block party”

Man shot dead by police in Islington after threatening woman with knife

London rioter maimed by axe jailed for part in Upper Street brawl

Ethiopian eatery vows to fight decision after losing booze license due to ‘violence’

54. wally says:

RA,

I understand that we won’t know until we do know,. That’s part of being a fan isn’t it. Wondering what’s next, how it might all shake out. If we weren’t wondering, worrying, hoping we wouldn’t be much of a fan(atic).

M as a post v Welbeck as a post isnj’t in the same ballpark. Not here, not now, not today. And i’d love Welbeck to prove me wrong.

And to those who dismiss Palmer I know what he’s about and that doesn’t address his point, which is a pertinent one. Wenger always talks up his signings, but not this one?

Eddie 4.30: Is that monster pushing a pram? Does it mean someone impregnated her? Impossible

Poor Didt. Polzeath looks flatter than frog-leg fritter

56. Shard says:

Wally

How often does Wenger go out of his way to talk to the press. If Wenger had been in the country and been caught by a reporter or a news crew and didn’t mention Welbeck, then maybe..

If Wenger faced a press conference and didn’t say anything about Welbeck, then that calls for speculation.

But no words from Wenger on anything, no press conference or matches scheduled for nearly 2 weeks, Welbeck still not trained with his new teammates or manager, and because we haven’t heard anything it is valid to not only speculate, but suggest that Wenger doesn’t rate Welbeck and thus wasn’t his signing? Wow. You call that pertinent?

I think the 24 hour ‘news’ cycle has gone mad if people can’t wait two weeks for things to happen to react to. Instead they must react to something that hasn’t happened. Or as another blogger said..These days it isn’t enough to react, we must preact.

Wally,

When AW does speak folks try to double guess him by reading between the lines and now that seems to apply even when he doesn’t speak.

I prefer to take him at face/mouth value and recognize that in his position you can never be 100% honest – after all why should he be honest?.

Fine words of wisdom Shard that will undoubtedly fall on the deaf ears of the disbelievers….

59. Shard says:

Sorry Hippy Raddy.. That comment deserved an immediate rebuttal.

You know we are of one mind when it comes to being cheerful about Arsenal. Though like some other posters, I haven’t seen many of these doom comments of late, though I did go into lockdown after the Leicester drawt. I was very upset by that because I thought our players showed a lack of focus and just expected to win by turning up. Can’t say the effort wasn’t there though.

As for Fabregas.. Meh? Why anyone would go on about him, I don’t understand. He’s a fantastic player (in no small part due to Wenger) and bringing him back would have been fairly easy for Wenger to do. I don’t think it was a matter of funds honestly. If we really want, we can spend another 30m. I think it was more a question of team dynamics (as opposed to technical reasons) In any case, I am satisfied that no one knows Fabregas better than Wenger, and if he chose to not bring him back he must have his reasons. I have no problem with that.

Ambition. Forget the 85m on signings. The biggest sign of ambition the club has shown is the stadium we play in now. An unambitious club does not achieve that. This 85m is a consequence of that earlier ambition, hard work and sacrifice.

60. Shard says:

GN5

That’s the second time in two days that I’ve been accused of wisdom. I thought that only came with age, and compared to you, I am but a whippersnapper 🙂

Eddie

Are you stalking it by any chance, and does it mind you photographing it?

Raddy
    Frog leg fritter 🙂 Yip, surfing abandoned. We’re on Plan F

GN5
    Re the Islington Gazette
    I think we can safely assume that our Eddie inhabits a different Borough then 🙂

MD,

From the sound of it Eddie clears out the deadbeats all on her own, maybe Islington needs her?.

Raddy – the tax payer picked up the bill for a designer baby – had
    to be a girl. It is 3 of them, all wives, the youngest gave birth. The baby is a gorgeous blond cherub

Micky – it wasn’t happy when I took the picture. But it remembers previous encounters with me so it walked away.

Back to boring footy – Diego Costa injured for internationals

GN5 – I used to live in UK, I am not sure where I am now, could be anywhere really – Mombay, Warsaw or Bagdad, but definitely not an English town

66. Sav from Australia says:

Question for the AAers:

Is it bad that I told my gf that once we get married I want to live in (or near) London solely to go to Arsenal home matches?

She’s got Danish citizenship – are Denmark part of the EU? Does that mean I can get a job more easily in UK coming from Australia?

People keep asking me what I want to do after university and I thought – fuck it – lets work somewhere nice and watch Arsenal – why not. Just wanted to know what the people here thought, is all.

Hey. We won a One Day International 😀

Another Reason to be Cheerful

68. Shard says:

Raddy

Who’s we? 😛

Sav,

Objectively, if you don’t know which countries are in the EU it might be worth a little research, to might come in handy. 🙂

Yes Denmark is in the EU, as is the UK.

If you marry your Danish girlfriend there are rules allowing a spouse to enter the EU and then there is freedom of movement within EU countries, so you could come to the UK.

What better than watching Arsenal home games if you live locally, but getting tickets is not always easy – you need to talk to Peaches when you get here.

First get your degree, second get married, third get EU citizenship, then get a job in London. Easy! 🙂

[Not that I am an expert] 🙂

Sav. Firstly, of course it isn’t bad – it is the only sensible course of action!

if your girlfriend has Danish citizenship (which is in the EU) it depends upon which country you choose to enter. The fact that your gf lives out of DK may cause problems.

Here is a useful website: https://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-us/coming_to_dk/familyreunification/spouses/spouses.htm

71. Sav from Australia says:

Thanks RA and Raddy. I thought I would ask the question since she’s been talking about it and goodness knows I have been fantasising about it. Its not for a couple years but as RA said above:

“First get your degree, second get married, third get EU citizenship, then get a job in London. Easy!”

Thats the plan. If its not Australia, I think the UK would the place I would like to live in.

Althought, Raddy, just to clarify, my missus is from Faroe Islands, so she has Danish citizenship but she’s not from Denmark exactly. She’s half Faroe Islands, half Sri Lankan – she’s like brown + white = orange, when she tans.

72. Two years in European politics is a long time. Scotland will probably not be part of the UK and the UK could well be out of the EU. I’m not trying to put a damper on you plans Sav… just that the EU at the moment is a bit volatile to say the least. 🙂

Sav,

You will find as many as 250,000 Aussies living in London at any time.

Here is an extract from the Huffington Post, written by an Aussie, and I think item number 24 in the list may interest you. 🙂

Understanding the lure of London

Travel is something that’s entrenched in the Australian culture. There’s a certain sense of snobbery passed if you haven’t backpacked for an extended period of time or taken off and lived as an expat. For a nation so far away, we really need to make the effort to open our minds to the rest of the world.

Even our former prime minister John Howard spent two years in London, declaring that doing the ‘London thing’ is a rite of passage every young Aussie should undertake. In his time here he even fell in and out of love with a London local.

But it’s not just London’s access to travel or the following of some bizarre cultural rite of passage that we have created, no, our love for London is so very much more specific than that.

I spoke to some current Aussie expats and they helped me put together a list of 36 “little things” we Australians have come to love about living in London. Some may even have you scratching your head…

1. The constant flow of top international artists, bands and DJs that won’t go to Australia
    2. Just how cheap these gigs are
    3. Cheap and awesome clothes *cough* Primark *cough*
    4. Pop-up markets, pop-up bars, pop-up restaurants…
    5. Array of food markets (Borough markets, Broadway markets, Columbia Road markets, Brick Lane markets, Brixton markets, Portobello Road markets…)
    6. Stumbling upon history that dates back hundred of years, everywhere
    7. Pubs older than our country
    8. Dogs in pubs
    9. Pub lunches
    10. Cultural activités in abundance: galléries, muséums, musicals, exhibitions
    11. The cheap prices these cultural activities
    12. Liberal drinking laws
    13. Off-licences and the abundance of them
    14. Ability to buy groceries and alcohol in the same location
    15. Low cost of takeaway and alcohol
    16. Jerk chicken
    17. Curry
    18. Vomit on the street, everyday, without fail (I think this indicates level of nightlife)
    19. Squirrels and foxes, casually running around
    20. Boris Johnson
    21. People are genuinely, really polite
    22. In some industries, a more relaxed work-ethic
    23. In other industries, you’ll work with the best-of-the-best
    24. Career opportunities can be bigger than your dreams
    25. Expat lifestyle: The rejuvenation of the house party
    26. Expat lifestyle: Everyone is like-minded, always up for doing something new and exciting
    27. Expat lifestyle: Constantly meeting new people. Australia is quite cliquey
    28. After-work social drinks. The drinking culture in London far exceeds Australia’s, honestly
    29. Bigger drinking culture but far less nightlife thuggery
    30. Anonymity
    31. Freedom to express your creativity. You can dress however you want with little judgement
    32. Access to Europe
    33. Truly multicultural, you have the opportunity to learn about so many different cultures without even leaving the city
    34. East London.
    35. Parks in hot weather. The vibe is amazing
    36. Summer in London. Enough said.

If you make it — enjoy! 😀

74. Actually Sav, I’ve just been thinking. If your girlfriend is from the Faroe Islands then she’s practically Scottish. Isn’t it nearer to Scotland than Denmark 🙂

75. Sav from Australia says:

@RA

Sold. Lets just get through uni and the aftermath…

76. Sav from Australia says:

@Northbank

You know, them Faroese – and Icelandic – apparentally the genes are over 90% male Scandanavian and over 90% female from Ireland/Scotland. Apparently, those crazy Vikings captured/stole/abducted women from the British Isles and settled with them on Faroe Islands. My gf didn’t even know about this.

I asked her about Thor and Odin and stuff – nothing. Why is that I – an Indian from Africa – know more about Norse history and take more fascination in it than the blooded Scandanavian.

…she’s got pretty big bone structure though….if she head butted me, I would probably die – Viking head.

77. Sav from Australia says:

Oh shit – not to say she’s not a lovely girl – just saying…she could seriously hurt me if wanted to – thank goodness she’s lovely and kind. Nobody show her this bit about me calling her ‘Viking head’ though.

Footage just in of Micky running down to the beach….

Chas

The lab cam vid is superb. One thing on his mind, and I love the bit zooming past the beach party. Didn’t even pause for a stroke or a nibble

I can’t get enough of the Eddie/Lesbian/Allegations story, and find it unbelievable that our Eddie follows her with a camera

eddie doesn’t follow her!! I was in the post office when I spotted a beautiful baby in a buggy. Smiling away I glanced at the mother and froze!! it was Andrea.

I left and she followed me, there. I thought she looked particularly dishy yesterday so took a quick snap. she asked why I am taking photos of her so I said ‘Because I can 🙂 Call the police”. In the past she said she is a policewoman. I remembered that and added “So you are not with police? Failed the fitness test?’ She started moving towards me so I knew it was time to do a runner. that’s all.

And for the record, especially for arnie and GiE – I was on dog-walking friendly terms with them for some 15 years. I never noticed how odd they look and couldn’t care less what they were up to in bed. It was only when their dog took a chunk of my alsation and they refused to share the vet’s bills, that I saw them for what they were, ungly horrible bitches

Szczesny said all that?? Good man!! you’d know he is a brave Pole
    He has to prepare himself for a media revenge now

Eddie

Why especially for Arnie and Exile/? Bit unfair on us loyal fans and followers of Eddiegate

Morning All.

These pics makes me want to go and live in a warm country by the beach.

But then I remember how wonderful it is to live in Europe and proximity to the Arsenal

Eddie. Can we have a picture of the other wife?

I’ve been out of the loop for the past couple of days, have we signed anyone? Oh no that was last week 😉

Has anyone offered a post does anyone know?

88. Dreadful English there peaches ………..

Oh come on Raddy

Autumn days with golden colours. Winter frosts and steely blue skies.

90. We’ve still got seven days until our next game.

I’ll check in arsenalnuts.

spot on Micky – the north European scenery is the most beautiful in the world. Those owls in the meadows – still make me smile

Oh god, noooo

This is what Mr and Mrs Raddy will do with their time in Iceland

Unbelievable that there aren’t unisex changing rooms, and I assumed that everyone would be getting naked

Oooops

This, on the other hand, is amazing

Micky. I agree completely. We have everything in Europe and unlike the Colonies we have Culture as well.

V. excited about Iceland. We have rented a house out in the wilderness

is there anything else but wilderness in Iceland?
    My most fav part of the world is North wales, I love it there

I am very pleased and jealous you’re going.

Getting very cold is definitely more invigorating for me than getting hot

Yes Eddie, Snowdonia area is lovely, but West Coast Scotland takes the biscuits

As wonderful as West Coast Scotland is, the Alpi-Maritimi take the biscotti.

Colorado takes some beating! 🙂

I love Micky the Lab beetling down to get in the sea. 🙂

On what part of his anatomy did they stick the camera?

RA

It was clearly rear end mounted somewhere, and I’m ruling out the tail as he was clearly excited to get on down into the sea, and tail mounting would have resulted in a somewhat uncomfortable viewing experience 🙂

103. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning all, Finest beach in the country? Holkham Norfolk, miles of soft white sand backed by beautiful scented pine forest.

Google Holkham beach photos.

RA,

I’ve visited a fair amount of countries and most major North American cities and IMO the Pacific North West has the best scenery I’ve ever witnessed.

Idaho, Montana, British Columbia, The Yukon, Alaska, and Alberta are simply stunning and in most cases completely unspoiled by man.

Oops I neglected to mention the eastern side of North America, Vermont, Maine and New Hampshire are stunning states along certain parts of the provinces of Newfoundland and P.E.I.

A purrfect piece of tail………………

Agreed Holkham is nice but I personally prefer Brancaster on NN coast, without the pine forest and the nudists, and the shallow pools left by the receding tide are more plentiful…..ohh and it doesn’t take calves the size of tree trunks to get across the soft white sand from the car park.

The pine forest is only there by human intervention (to protect fertile arable land from sea spray).

But as much as I love Norfolk beaches my favourite beaches are in Cornwall, Crantock, Watergate and Porthcurno.

108. The Cockie Monster says:

300 miles of coastline and 400 beaches and I deliver the “award winning” pies all around Cornwall. With that many it`s hard to pick a favourite and it changes all the time, but currently I`d say Sennen Cove !.
    If GIE moves to Cornwall, I promise free pies to the little Gooners !……….not GIE !….we don’t produce them quick enough to fill him up !. hahaha

Haha Cockie, Sennen was on my short list, mainly because of the little cream tea place in the village 🙂 but if I was to choose two Atlantic facing beaches then Crantock and Watergate win it for dramatic cliff lines acres of sand, both can do surfing Crantock has Gannell Estuary so when tide on way out it can be used as a lift to get back to waves 🙂

Porthcurno just round from Sennen is just idyllic and you’d think the sand and sea (so green/blue and see through) had been picked up from the Maldives.

I think the problem with North Norfolk beaches is the sea never looks inviting, because you don’t look down on it and it at the end of the day it isn’t called The Wash for nothing. It is clear but not like Cornwall. Sediment only ever three feet below the top of the water clouding it up.

110. The Cockie Monster says:

I`m spoilt for choice, GIE !. Personally, I prefer the rivers and imo the most beautiful place in Cornwall is the Helford river and there`s a pub called the Shipwrights Arms on the river at Helford. It`s quiet and laid back if you like that sort of thing .
    Last week I broke down in Porthleven right outside the Harbour Inn and had to wait 5 hours for the AA recovery……that’s the Automobile Association !……..sat in the sun with a pint and watched all the tourists catching crabs !. hahaha

Porthleven a very nice place to break down.

Sorry lads

West Scotland wins beach award by a landslide I’m afraid

Isle of Lewis in particular as it has deserted white sandy stuff

True story: One of the Lewis beaches was the front cover of the Thailand Tourist Boards Brochure.

And here’s how I plan to get to N Scotland one day (and away games 🙂 )

Reasonable 2nd hand 4 seater plane £40k (some nutters spend that on a car!)

Take off from field by the house. No traffic. Ever.

Cockie

Know the Helford. You’re right, it’s stunning.

You can hire a tiny boat with outboard. Done it many times with children since they were about 5. Real Swallows and Amazons stuff.

Landing on an Alaskan river bank.

Hey Raddy

I could pick you up on the way to a CL game. Probably be in Copenhagen in less time than it takes to get to the Ems by car, train and tube.

And think, no passport control, so you could take your stash with you 🙂

Also, do you remember exactly how long we spent sitting in our hire car in Dusseldorf trying to get the satnav to work. No more of that 🙂

I like the small plane idea. Couldn’t we ask Crystals to buy a Learjet for common usage?

You need a float plane. From Denmark, it’d be a “retreat” every weekend landing on remote Norwegian Fjords

Seriously, I loathe travel. Cars, parking, traffic, airports, customs, delays…hate it.

Small plane in a field and whoosh…away. Freedom.

Raddy

You’re such a typical hippy. All lefty backpacking everyone’s equal claptrap…until the crunch.

“Oh no Didit, I’m not getting in that hire car. I demand an upgrade” and now it’s “Oh no Didit, I won’t be getting in your sardine can of a plane, I want a Learjet” 🙂

Yesterday I went to Windsor to buy some beekeeping equipment. It was in an open fields (no small planes though) and it felt like Glastonbury – full of middle aged+ hippies with strange hair does

Morning Eddie

Must go. Need fags.

If I could I would have a strange haircut. Sadly, all the jiggery-pokery of the 70’s left me follically challenged

124. The Cockie Monster says:

West of Scotland looks very much like Sennen Cove, Micky !, but Sennen is relatively just around the corner !. Anyway, enough of this who`s got the biggest beach competition, otherwise I will have to come around and kick sand in your face !. hahaha

Raddy 🙂 was your hair fair price to pay?

Eddie. Sure was. No regrets at all!

I should check to see if we have a post and if not write a shortie.

It was a shabby show that we had no post yesterday. Come on folks – get writing

a beautiful beach

raddy – I thought so 🙂

must go and get some fags from the allotment

130. love app says:

Awesome things here. I’m very glad to peer your post.
    Thank you so much and I’m looking ahead to touch you. Will you
    please drop me a e-mail?

131. I pay a visit everyday a few websites and blogs to read posts, except this website provides feature based articles.