Transfer window, are we finished?

Morning Gooner’s.

Less than a week until the transfer window shuts, and still speculation into who else will join the four new players we have signed. So far we have Sanchez who in the couple of games we have seen him, looks to be a fine live wire. Up next we have Debuchy a right back replacement for our beloved Bacary Sagna. Debuchy has had a quiet start, no fireworks but looks to be a sound buy. Debuchey doesn’t appear to have the attacking flair that Bacary had, but I see that as a plus, as I like a full back to be a defender that defends.

Next up we have our replacement goalkeeper Ospina, replacement for Fabianski who has moved on for regular first team football. I have to say that this was a disappointment to me as although over the year’s Fabianski was nicknamed Flappy for quite a few errors I feel that he has had rather a tough time of it, as Szczesny’s understudy. But he’s gone, and Ospina has taken up residence, still yet to be seen on the firing line due to injury, but rumoured to be good enough to give Szczesny a run for his money.

Next up we have young 19 year old Calum Chambers from Southampton. Not a lot known about young Calum, only that he is down as a right back, Wenger paid 16 million for this lad so he must feel that he had the talent. Surprisingly Arsene has included young Calum in every game since he signed, granted Per Merts had been given an extended holiday after winning the World cup, but what has surprised me more is that Arsene has played young Calum as centre back, and what has surprised me even more, is the fact that he has played exceedingly well. I like what I have seen of this youngster, his decisive intelligent play, seems to be more than I was expecting, his versatility will be very useful in the future.

Of course we cannot forget Joel Campbell, now although Joel has still not played in our first 2 games, Wenger has stated that he will be staying. Joel has been out on loan since Wenger found him, as problems with visa’s scuppered his early chances, but now that has all been sorted, and of course his inclusion in the World cup has brought this young man to the fore, still slightly a raw talent, but under the watchful eye of our leader, I can only see a promising future.

So far our Manager has secured 4 signings but in all honesty they are not additions, they are replacements, so our squad has not really been made larger, but depending on where you read your news from, Arsene has stated that our recruitment has not necessarily ended. If of course this is true, the mind boggles. Many still believe that we are a holding Midfielder short of a strong team, and many others still see Giroud, Sanogo and an unseen Campbell as still being light up front. I feel that so far from what I have seen of our starting first 2 games, that both positions could definitely be strengthened.

Of course, over the past few seasons, 4 signings would have been every Gooners dream come true, but we are now The New Arsenal Football Club, we are not a penny pinching football club anymore. so who knows what may be in store, 1 week in football seems an eternity at times, but also an opportunity for maybe a couple more bodies.

Arsene has said in the past, that too many signings in any window, can be hard to get balanced,  and can even give a destabilising  effect. Wenger has passed the amount already, so maybe talk from skinflint days gone by, when sponsors money was not available, but from the opening 3 games we do look a little unstable.

Supporters are insufferable, they ask for a signing, and get 4, they then feel we still need more, I believe if we brought eleven they would still feel we need just one more just in case. Personally I am ecstatic with Arsene’s business this window, sad of course with Sagna’s departure, but he was getting on, and at the end of the day Arsene let him go for free so he should have a very good pension.

I for one, am a very satisfied supporter, of course should Wenger feel he needs one or two more, i certainly wouldn’t shake a finger, forwards and upwards and COYG’s

Written by Steve Palmer

89 Responses to Transfer window, are we finished?

1. Andy Mack says:

AW said that the squad can take 5/6 players per summer, but that depends if they come in a very short period and whether they do pre-season etc. So we’re only there if he’s including the youngsters moving up. I feel pretty certain he’ll get one (maybe two) more before the window closes but not so certain that he’ll fill the gaps the fans think need filling.

Steve. Thanks for the post written pre-OG injury

I am one of the Insufferables. I want more, always have, always will. I am one of those fans who was disappointed that despite winning all those trophies with the TH14 team we didn’t win the CL.

I want Cavani. I want Carvalho. And another CB.

Why? Because in order to compete we have to have a bigger and better squad. Last season I am sure we could have taken another 7 points had we had adequate cover for Theo and the other long-term injured. We have improved in some areas and stagnated in others.

Buy. Buy. Buy.

3. hec says:

>supporters are insufferable they ask for signings and get four then they feel they still need more> written by Steve Palmer , we bought a 2.6 mill. Ospina for a FREE Fabianski , good business ? we paid 12 million for Debuchy instead of a free Sagna ,good business ?, the last striker we sold Van Persie for 28 million ,who would you rather have Sanchez for 30 million or Van Persie at 28 million ?

Ever since the Invincibles, Henry,Pires,Bergkamp,Lungberg,Vieira,Campbell,Parlour, Edu, Kanu, it`s been a slow and steady decline in the quality of our players supporters can see this that is why there could possibly be anger within, there is not one player in today`s team would get into the 2004 team.

4. henry says:

Arsenal are finished in this window, all you hear now is just rumours, Wenger will not spend a penny more. Wenger is short sighted and the Arsenal way of recent is just making a top four finish, if Wenger belieives this current side can finish in the top four, there will be no more additions to this squad.

5. Shard says:

I think we’ll sign two more players. Probably a DM/CB hybrid and another attacker. The first because Chambers has proven to be a more than decent option at CB, we have Bellerin who can cover at RB, as can Flamini and (if he stays) Coquelin. So that shouldn’t be a worry, leaving us free to strengthen midfield while providing further cover at the back.

Buying an attacker would be dependent on the Giroud injury and Podolski’s future. I would really hope that Podolski’s future has come up for question only in the past few days because we’ve got something else lined up now, possibly once we qualify for the CL (hopefully). Otherwise it would make no sense to let him go.

6. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning all,

Speculation! Lovely, well done Steve. We can all speculate as much as we like.

If we get through to the next phase of the Champions League Wenger will splash out on two or three new signings. If not, that’s it.

Looking at what we have I still think we need that holding mid-fielder, if Giroud has broken his ankle then we must have a striker, no even if Giroud hasn’t broken his ankle we must have a striker.

Chambers can easily cover for Merts or Kos, Bellerin for Debuchy so a left back would be a good idea too.

Big Raddy has got it right….Buy! Buy! Buy!

7. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all
    Thanks for your comments at work at the mo but will sign on later. He’ll buy I am certain, now viroid we May loan a striker, many won’t like that but with the guys we have coming throug will be supposed at a long termed laters

I would be happy with a loanee as long as there was a possibility to buy. Kallstrom did well.

9. fatgingergooner says:

Get Draxler in. Play him upfront until Giroud is fit, then put him LW!

Easy 😉

10. It is strange we have completed some very good transfers and yet we seem to be in the same position as last year or the year we signed Podolski, Cazorla et al. By that I mean our transfer situation is in the balance until we find out if we are through to the group stages of the Champions League. I don’t think we will be able to sign anyone until tomorrow’s match is won. In future, perhaps Wenger needs to elevate the goal for the end of seasons by at least one and say that as a minimum Arsenal need to automatically qualify for the the CL?

11. So Wenger doesnt know anything about Girouds injury????

Not sure i believe him to be honest!

Im guessing he is injured for a good few months and Wenger doesnt want to cause panic before such an important game.

Doesnt look good though does it?

We should go round with the collection buckets tomorrow night to try and raise enough money to enable Arsenal to buy an x-ray machine so they can conclusively find out if Giroud has broken his ankle.

Hang on don’t they have those things in hospitals?

“I am not sure at the moment if Giroud has broken anything.”

Yeah right Arsene.

Good read Steve.

It is only right that every supporter should want his or her club to have the best squad they possibly can have and I certainly do.

13. arnie says:

Great stuff, Steve. As upbeat as can be, under the circumstances! 🙂 🙂 🙂

OK, the upside from Giroud’s injury is that Poldi stays. I dont know about you chums, but this bugger is happy about that. 🙂

The bad news, for some not me, is that I suspect reinforcements upfront are therefore unlikely. A DM, yes please. And as others have said, the quality will depend on the outcome of tomorrow’s game. 🙂

Shitty has won the PL, not one but twice. Pool came close, and Chavs in the recent past as well. It is therefore understandable that most fans want us to follow the leaders and play in the same way. Do transfer business the same way. Treat the players as commodities.

We choose to be different. Arsene chooses to be different. There is a value to this difference and to the deference – showing two fingers. Let us celebrate that.

How good the experiment is, how good Arsene’s teams have been, is for later. History will say.

First things first, we need to win tomorrow. Somehow, I dont care how. COYG. 🙂 🙂 🙂

14. arnie says:

We play with a lone upfront striker holding the ball up. If we can find another such striker who will do this better, on with it! But this is our style, and I for one love it. COYG. 🙂 🙂 🙂

15. arnie says:

FGG. I like the Draxler idea. Yes please, if he is available. But please, none of the numpties that populate the EPL. We want fresh faces, new ideas, young talent. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Why Draxler and not Cavani?

Agree about OG. The man is mullered and AW doesn’t want to dampen the atmosphere ahead of a big game.

17. Norfolk Gooner says:

BR, one other reason for Arsene to play down the Giroud injury is he knows the price of any striker target will rise in direct proportion to the length of Ollie’s absence.

18. Norfolk Gooner says:

BR, why not both?

Buy! Buy! Buy!

19. arnie says:

Raddy. For me, Cavani would be good as well, but I prefer Draxler because of age. He can be moulded to play our way. In Cavani’s favour, though, he seems to be available.

However, I am not so sure we will get our wish. Another player upfront in this transfer window looks unlikely. But you never know. 🙂

20. Podolski – Great to be back huh, was your suitcase already packed and the cab waiting to take you to the airport?

21. Sometimes I do think our club are completely mad the way they do things. Fun though 😆

22. arnie says:

Peaches. 🙂 to the “fun” and to “all my bags are packed” 😛

23. arnie says:

Apparently, the Ox gave a fantastic interview. 🙂

Cheers, Steve.

I can’t really see past tomorrow night at the moment. 🙂

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

26. arnie says:

thank you Chas. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Oh dear Taylor is a dreadful ref and hates the Arsenal or it seems so from his performances

Good to hear Podolski is staying, I like the cut of his jib.

And Draxler is on his way to the Emirates next summer (as is Carvalho)

28. fatgingergooner says:

I’ve never been convinced by Cavani, but always heard great things, and his price tag would suggest real quality. As for Draxler, i was only joking really but hes definately an option, but probably not at £30m+.

The way i see it its unlikely Wenger is going to buy someone like Remy as ultimately he would be paying £10m+ for a 3 month replacement, therefore he can either loan someone in (Klose for example), buy a full time replacement for OG (Cavani), or buy someone who could also be used in other positions once OG is fit (Draxler).

If he does go for someone like Remy, or Bony, what happens once Giroud and Theo are fit? Do Sanogo and Campbell get pushed out?

Or he could just use Sanogo, Sanchez and Podolski for 3 months. That would probably make most sense.

29. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all, sorry about my last comment, even i had trouble reading it ,big fingers small phone.

Some, of you want Wenger to spend spend spend I can remember a woman named Viv saying that and i believe she went skint.

I can understand supporters wanting new faces, After all previous years new faces have been thin on the ground. Always puts a smile on my face when we have an injury, and we must replace. Seems to me that most supporters were saying he should be off loaded now we are in Shit street because we don’t have him.

Like i said before Giroud is a capable CF not brilliant by a long way but capable. We have Sanogo and we have young Campbell, now imagine had Mertsacker been here from the off, would we have seen young Chambers in action, would we have seen how capable and versatile he is well this is much the same, Young Campbell was good enough for his country to lead their attack , and i believe he can fill in quite adequately for Giroud.

Don’t get me wrong, i am not against Wenger signing the more the merrier but its times like now where we learn what we have.. Jumping in with both feet and buying a replacement will only cause problems later on,, although i did like the idea of Draxler and the switching to the wing when Girouds fit but that also will cause upset for Theo or Santi and the man we never see Myaki.

I know i am boring but i feel he’ll buy a CB and thats it, but we will have to wait and see i guess

That’s Sanogo, Sanchez, Podolski, Campbell and Walcott.

31. fatgingergooner says:

Anyone think Vela would have been useful at this point?

Another option which i didnt mention above would be to buy an older player, who could come in for a year or 2 and be cheaper than some of the youngsters. Someone like Huntelaar would be perfect for that IMO.

32. fatgingergooner says:

im aware Giroud isnt injured as of yet, but best to be prepared!!!! 🙂

33. stevepalmer1 says:

A very sensible comment FGG

34. arnie says:

If it was a real market, rather than a lemons paradise, price would suggest quality. Unfortunately, it is not. IMO. Therefore, there will be surprises in store, and I hope they are good ones. 😛

Thursday night football is unthinkable and that may include playing Spurs 🙂

Football certainly is a funny old game.

Don’t worry just leave it to Santi, he usually gets us out of trouble.

36. stevepalmer1 says:

Thursday night football could be a real possibility if we turn out as we did out there. Again i remember supporters saying that 4 spot is not a trophy.

Personally we have done so well over the tight years, yes we are Arsenal and we expect a lot, but looking at it sensibly we have fought very hard for our Chance of CL but we as supporters now expect to just slide through.

Many say there is no point in getting through as we will never win it, what do they expect we do hold our hands up and say no thanks.

We have to realise that funds in the past had been tight, that coupled with at least 3 teams better than us In the league we have done bloody well to even get to qualifying..

Many supporters often harp on about how good the old Arsenal teams have been, that’s over, History good times yes but thats in the past. This team gets knocked all the time. We are FA cup holders and also charity shield holders thats as good a start as we could want specially with multi billionaire owners making it as tough as ever…

kelsey. That he does. His pass for Ramsey’s goal on saturday was inch perfect.

I do not see Campbell as a leader of the line. Could be wrong but that is not where he played in Greece nor in the WC.

I am thinking about tomorrows line up and it is not easy

DB10 on sky sports 5 now

Is he playing tomorrow,Raddy.

40. That DB10 documentary is such lovely viewing.

There’s also a great one on Bobby ………. he nearly gave up playing for us at the start, told the boss the premiership wasn’t for him but the boss persuaded him to stay. The rest is history ………

Just seen an article about Almunia having a heart condition and retiring from football – poor bloke 😦

“Manchester United sign Argentina winger Angel Di Maria from Real Madrid for a British record transfer fee of £59.7m.”

Gotta take my hat off to the negotiators at United for getting the price down from 60 mil.

42. fatgingergooner says:

LB,

Im pretty sure Madrid only wanted 60m euros. 🙂

43. arnie says:

Raddy. Only “park the bus” makes any sense tomorrow. IMO. Not to concede at any cost. Anyone who cannot fall back and defend is OUT OUT OUT! 😛

45. arnie says:

who is Evans?

46. arnie says:

ah, Johnny Evans, I see! 😛 Just started watching the circus, and Afobe!!!!!!!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Love wiki:

“Benik “LOL United” Afobe

Benik Tunani Afobe (born 12 February 1993) is an English footballer who plays as a striker for MK Dons on loan from Arsenal. He just smacked one home against United.”

United to recoup some of that cash……dare I say BSR?

49. Shard says:

All part of Louis Van Butthead’s cunning plan to further reduce fixture congestion.

I didn’t even know they were playing today. This is the Carling Cup isn’t it? I thought it might be some friendly or something.

50. Shard says:

Correction: Capital One Cup

51. arnie says:

ha ha ha ha ha

But no celebrations tonight, only after progression tomorrow.

Can we recall Afobe for a couple of months? New signing, anyone? 😛

52. fatgingergooner says:

I will save my piss taking of United until CL qualification is complete.

53. arnie says:

The face of Vandal was priceless! 🙂 🙂 🙂

54. fatgingergooner says:

LVG has had an absolute mare! Why play a weak team when you’ve got no European football to play for and you’re trying to get the players used to a new system? Plus there is an international break not far off. It’s not like they need resting.

Anyway, that can all wait until after tomorrow!

55. fatgingergooner says:

Man U desperately need players. They are going to get a shock when they realise Di and Maria is only 1 player!!!!

Oops, that can wait until tomorrow 🙂

56. arnie says:

FGG. 🙂 yes, agreed, that has to wait until tomorrow!!!!! 😛

57. The Cockie Monster says:

Van Gaal In !.

Back to more pressing matters……Steve nice post.

Ospina we will have to wait to see, but we are covered, only have to look at Maureen trying to butter Cech up to keep hold of two good keepers, despite his age I amsure there are many teams who would give him regular first team football.

Our injury curse has now hit Ollie, so another centre forward could be on the cards, we can’t expect Pod and Yaya to carry the weight until Ollies return. (Andno Sanchezis not the answer….more on that later this week).

Chambers has looked very good for a 19 year old with 20 or so PL games under his belt, but we should beware the ides of Phil Jones. He looked like a star but in his first season with Manure but has regressed over the following years, he now looks to be returning to the player they bought.

So then we come to will we sign anymore, well I think it all comes down to tomorrow night, £30m extra to spend as a result of qualifying, plus commercial revenue increases.

1 centre back (3 is not sufficient) plus one holding midfielder (especially if Arteta’s injury looks longer than 2/3 weeks).

59. wally says:

Following the league cup loss, DiMaria has handed in a transfer request. 🙂

60. I believe Wenger prefers to fluke success rather than to actually be seen to try for it, Amen and aamen!!!

“beware the ides of Phil Jones”

Clever line GIE.

Morning all

Thanks for posts LB and Steve

LB
    Plan B every time. A good Plan B, but B he is. My most important reason being that his hold up style is anti-football, not the Arsenal Henry/Wright face forward with speed way. It may be effective, but that’s less important to me than style.

Steve
    Always want players who are better than we have if available. I’m guessing we’re waiting for tonights result to see what’s in the budget. Don’t know what our current net spend is, or even what was in the war chest before the summer began.

Going to miss the game tonight tragically, but boy is it important.

So, Ollie is out for a while is he, and having read all the comments, I see Arsene is not sure if it’s a broken bone!!! As LB said, yeah right, Arsene.
    More like, we don’t want you all upping the price for a replacement.

Chas and Raddy

Saw that wonderful pic of Elephant’s Rock, and then that BR is off to Iceland.

Not many countries I’d like to visit, but Iceland, Greenland and Antarctica are on it.

chas- do you know that little girl? A relative ?

4:0 ????????!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂
    The chosen one 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

Eddie

Hate to put a doomer on your excitement, but I’d be delighted if Arsene had fielded a weakened side in the League Cup and gone out in the first round.

Utd now have no LC or CL fixtures. Not good really.

68. Morning AA’s

I’ve posted a preview on my blog, so if you want an early morning read before AA wakes up with a new post, pop over:

micky – it did cross my mind that it was deliberate, but no, not 4:0, that’s humiliation. Look Doomer, if they can be trashed by MK Dons I think we have a good chance even if that was the only game they were to play

I am sorry, I didn’t read yesterday’s post, still snowed under.

Eddie

Let me help you out.

What AA’ers have been saying is this:

1. We’ll pretend Ollie is good, because we get behind our own
    2. He’s effing boring to watch, but he’s one of us, so we’ll get behind him
    3. If there’s money in the bank, then it should be spent on footballers

Get Raddy out with his snow shovel 🙂

71. Shard says:

Morning,

Do we want to see Gunnersaurus doing the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge?

Of course we do.

Squeaky bum time my friends.

We definitely need two goals as I am not convinced that we can keep a clean sheet(and word has it,neither can Terry ) 🙂

If true to form and he is fit Sanogo will start and Campbell maybe on the bench.

I hope Kos is fit otherwise we are extremely vunerable.

Podolski,who was on the way to the airport yesterday,having said goodbye, is now our secret weapon and it will be interesting to see if he is fit enough to start or be on the bench.

I hate Chelsea CF’s and ex Chelsea CF’s when they play against us,so Demba Ba has to be watched.
    No excuses this time about the pitch but the ref is not one of our favorites,mind you are any ?

I would play Sanchez for at least the obligatory Wenger 62 minutes as it is a big ask for Campbell to what amounts to a 20 million pound game.

thanks micky, I won’t bother reading now 🙂

Big, big game tonight. A must win to fill up the kitty again, otherwise there will be no surprise last minute buys

74. fatgingergooner says:

Morning all,

I’m doing a tandem skydive in a couple of weeks and I’m trying to raise sponsors for a charity called SoundSense.

Would it be inappropriate if I put details on here asking for sponsors?

75. The Cockie Monster says:

Ginge……I like the Idea of my Mother-in-Law doing a tandem sky dive with a piano, now that makes sound sense to me !.

76. arnie says:

Motning all. Am I looking forward to the game? YES. Do I fear the worst? YES. 😛

77. Hi Ginge – I like that moniker, I was in love with a Ginge once 🙂 – you’re welcome to put the details of your charity skydive on the blog. Once I’ve got them I can repost them nearer the time aswell.

78. arnie – shhhhhhhh, only positive thoughts today 😉

Who’d want Welbeck over Afobe after last night’s performance?

80. fatgingergooner says:

Thanks Peaches,

I will put them on today’s post. 🙂

81. New Post everyone ………………