To Sanogo or Not to Sanogo?

Much is made of today’s game being a Cup Final. It is. A one off game which will determine who goes into the CL group stages.

Unusually the away side are slight favourites given the away goals rule but first they have to score. Can they? Well, we have conceded 3 in our last 2 games and were hardly secure in Turkey where Ba missed a couple of easy chances (or TPIG made a couple of excellent saves). And this Arsenal team have yet to show us that they have developed the fluency we have come to expect.

Then there are the injuries. We have played 3 games and lost a player a game; Arteta, Gibbs and Giroud and given that Koscielny, BFG, Ozil, Podolski and Wilshere look less than 100% we are struggling. I have no doubts we will come good later in the year but right now there is cause for concern.

Much is made of CL qualification as the carrot to ensnare new signing, I don’t completely agree. MU, Spurs, Everton and L’pool have shown this is not true. What attracts players is money (or in Balotelli’s case a team which will accept his “difficulties”). Did Di Maria move for CL games and the resultant profile? That said, qualification allows us to earn the bug bucks which attract the best players and as I have repeatedly written – I want Cavani, Carvalho (or at least an agreement that he will sign next summer when Arteta and Flamini leave) and a CB, all of whom will be expensive.

The loss of Giroud must be seen as an opportunity for the players who will take his place yet Sanogo looks way off the required quality  to win anything (though he has an FAC medal 🙂 ), and Campbell has yet to start a PL game. Sanchez is likely to get the chance tonight, he scored 39 in 88 games for Barca so knows his way to goal.

Just as interesting to me is how Wilshere will play without the need to look for Ramsey. We have discussed at length whether the two can play together and tonight we will see if JW can influence the game in the way we hope. He will need to – Ramsey has scored in 5 of his last 6 games and will be sorely missed tonight.

Mr. Wenger is “bigging up” Oxlade-Chamberlain, I wonder why. Does he think O-C needs a confidence boost? He appears to be a man brimful of self-belief. Or perhaps he wanted someone who is comfortable talking to the media so he could take a rest. Either way it gave us another insight into what a lovely man Ox is – Southampton must be the best place to develop well-balanced, intelligent young players.

images

We know how good Besiktas are. We were fortunate to escape with a draw, thanks to fine work from TPIG and strikers who couldn’t find the target even when one on one with our keeper. They work hard in midfield, defend well and are pacy on the counter. I can only recall Ox’s shot which was well saved by their keeper as good chances created by the Arsenal. We could blame the dreadful pitch but it was the same for both teams.

As we are without the experience of Arteta and Ramsey I would like to see Chambers on the bench and a return to the security of BFG/Kos, though given the total lack of pace from Mertesacker in the Everton game perhaps Chambers and Koscielny will be our centre back partnership this season!

Flamini’s role will be vital in a clogged midfield. He is playing in his normal style so far – two games, two yellows. Hopefully Arteta will return before he picks up his first ban.

My Team:

Beskitas home

So … no Sanogo. I just do not think we can go into such an important game with Sanogo leading the line. Mr Wenger is likely to disagree but I would put my faith in experienced battle-hardened players who have performed at the highest level. All the above team have done so and experience counts.

In the highly unlikely event that we are in trouble he can come off the bench and perhaps have a similar effect to Giroud at Everton, though I hope he only comes on for the final 15 when we are coasting.

History shows that we do well in these games, A good defensive display and some luck in front of goal should see us through but please Arsenal score early, otherwise the tension will be unbearable.

Quiz Question: How many consecutive seasons have we qualified for the Champions League proper?

COYRRG

written by Big Raddy

177 Responses to To Sanogo or Not to Sanogo?

1. arnie says:

Upbeat and positive as ever. Brilliant work, Raddy. 🙂

Dare I say, horses for courses. Tonight I would like us to park the bus. We cannot afford to concede goals. With that in mind, any player who will not fall back to defend is OUT OUT OUT!

My team for tonight, not Arsene’s 😛 is:

Szcz
    Debu BFG Kos Monreal
    Calum Flamster
    Ox Jack Rosicky Poldi

No Ozil, no Sanchez, no Santi. No nifty midfielders needed if they would not fall back in numbers to defend. Self preservation is of prime importance.

No forwards either. We will get a few chances, and our midfielders are good enough.

Yes, not pretty, I know. But this offers us the best chance tonight IMO. 🙂

Will Wenger think the same way? NO.

COYG. 🙂 🙂 🙂

2. arnie says:

Broken tibia is it, then? The whole season gone I fear. 😦

FIRST, and SECOND. 🙂

3. fatgingergooner says:

I’m thinking the same line up as you BR, except I think Chambo will be in there somewhere. Who for? No idea.

Really tough game tonight and very nervous. An early goal would be perfect and might finish them off with them not having their manager on the touch line or in the dressing room. He’s a big loss for them.

I would very much like us to take the lead tonight!

4. fatgingergooner says:

Hi all,

I’m looking to raise £350 for a charity called Sound Sense by taking part in a tandem sky dive on the 14th September.

Sound Sense works hard to provide Respite & Entertainment to its beneficiaries. Such as respite & health courses, educational music courses, music resources & entertainment to the disadvantaged & the poor. Also those suffering from debilitating diseases such as Cancer, Parkinson’s, CVD.

So far I have raised £116. If you would like to donate, all you need to do is text the code JOES85 followed by an amount of £1,£2,£3,£4,£5 or £10 to 70070.

Alternatively, you can donate by going to my Just Giving page:-

Any donation will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

A Raddy means “here we go again”. Brilliant.

Like your line up, and definitely no Sanogo. Speed on the break.

Arnie
    “No forwards either” is possibly the most dooooooooom comment I’ve ever read. The message would be clear “we’re terrified of Besiktas” 😦
    Two goals in the first twenty is the way to go 🙂

Oh, forgot to say, I’d switch Wilshere for Rosicky.

7. arnie says:

Thank you, Micky. 🙂 We should not concede, because 2 goals is a bit high ask!

Every minute we do not concede, we are 1/90 of the way towards progression. If the unimaginable happens, bring all three of Sanchez, Ozil and Santi on, and go on all-out attack.

Not because we are terrified of Besiktas, but because we do not want to concede, not even a fluke goal.

8. arnie says:

Mind you, Micky, I am all for your first 20 minute 2-goals style in the group stages. But let us get there first. Horses for courses, as I said. 🙂

9. Shard says:

No Sanogo No party 🙂

But I think I agree with your lineup Raddy. Although I would like Rosicky to start. Maybe in place of Wilshere, but that isn’t going to happen. Might even lead to too many changes in midfield so probably not worth it. I just think Rosicky brings some urgency to the team when he plays.

Cazorla is the other one who could sit out but he seems to step up and make some contribution in big games and for that reason he deserves to play.

Sanchez up front should work better this time. Added familiarity, playing at home, and a team that although dangerous on the beak, should be terrified by Alexis and Ox running at them with Ozil and Cazorla to supply them.

I’m hoping we’ll score 2 goals before half time, although even if that happens, we’ll probably make a stupid error then and concede to make it 2-1, and then panic the rest of the way. I’m hoping Mert and Kos can avoid that scenario and keep the clean sheet.

Mert and Kos against their attack?

Well, take out Ba and it’s game over for them.

“Oi Flamini, you are going to get a red card pretty damn soon whatever, so how about taking out Ba early doors and let’s move on”

Thanks Raddy.

Remain positive I have been told by she who must be obeyed.

Regardless of the result AW might have been looking for one more player in defence possibly in the holding role but now surely he has to get another forward.

I tend to agree even if the unthinkabel happens we could still land someone a I can’t see him splashing out another 30 million + on a player.

Knowing Wenger he may well start with Sanogo and play Ozil in the hole or Santos as an alternative to Sanogo.

Ramsey will be the biggest miss tonight IMO and we need not one but two goals as a cushion before half time.

I have to disagree with arnie about us parking the bus as ours is a convertible and it goes against AW’s philosophy.

Recently we did it only once that I can remember and that was at Spurs with Rosicky’s early goal,and it was nerve racking.

Santi is the man for these occasions and I am sure he won’t let us down.

There is a doubt about Kos and his fitness but I guess AW will play him purely through his vast experience and his understanding with Pers.

Sanogo and Campbell have yet to score in any proper game so really whoever lines up it’s partly a gamble that they all click.

12. Motning all and thanks for the pre match Big Daddy,

I think it best I don’t ponder the importance of this game too much as the doomer in me will start up.

Sooooo, let’s all take a moment to ROLF at the Old Toilet plastics, led by the hapless Louis Van Butthead(who is sounded more and more like a dalek as the days go by)..

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

It was gratifying to see broken ManUre crests on the back pages as we would have got even worse treatment had this happened to us.,

Crystals

Arnie has overtaken you as site doomer.

Big ‘Un up front, and let’s park the bus. Seriously? If that shit happens, I’m Wenger Outing 🙂

14. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning all, aren’t we all being a bit doomy, it’s half time, it’s nil nil, the second half is at THOF we have every chance to win it.

Sanogo is a definite no go, isn’t he injured?

I’d go with Campbell and Alexis up front, young Joel has the pace needed to get alongside our Chilean flyer, if Koscielny is fully fit he should play alongside Chambers, Callum is on a roll at the moment and his pace is a big factor in choosing him over Merts.

I’ll leave the fiddly bits in-between to others. A sound defence with a couple of likely lads up front. You know it makes sense!!

15. California Gooner says:

Big Raddy, I’m going to have to give a left coast perspective on this: Sonogo. We are playing at home and Bestikas will sit deep. AW will want a big boy who can play with his back to the goal to lead the line and create a focal point for the attack.

Additionally, last year a lot of our goals came not just from Ramsey but from the Ramsey position. Ozil has a tendency to pull to one side or the other in order to create an overload and that leaves a lot of space in middle of the park for a late-arriving midfielder to move into. That was the space Ramsey exploited, but when he went out injured, Wilshere did the same. And when he went out injured Chambo scored twice in one game also by making late runs from the midfield.

So, perhaps this is Wilshere’s moment, or perhaps the Ox will play centrally, although I read somewhere that Arsene no longer sees him as a central midfielder.

Finally, given his tremendous record in the CL last year, why not give Joel Campbell a start on the right?

So, my team:

Szczesny

Debuchy BFG Koscielny Monreal

Wilshere Flamini

Ozil

Campbell Sonogo Sanchez

Norfolk

We’re cut from the same cloth 🙂

17. Norfolk Gooner says:

Powder blue mohair, micky. I nice bit of schmutter my son!! 😀

Before I go, I’d say that I completely trust our defence against Besiktas, we’re at home, we have some great attackers and in short, this’ll be a breeze 🙂

Norfolk 🙂

Yip, that’s the look. Powder blue safari suit and platform shoes 🙂

20. Norfolk Gooner says:

Time for my weekly swim, thanks Big and Randy for the post.

Later.

21. fatgingergooner says:

Szscesny
    Debuchy Chambers Kozzer Monreal
    Wilshere Flamini
    Ox Özil Cazorla
    Sanchez

I think Özil has to start as the number 10, as Ox and Santi are better tracking back. I’d like to think our front 4 would have far too much for them, but it’s never that easy.

22. arnie says:

Site doomer tag! hoorah!!!! Thanks for the fight, Crystals, and I know we Gooners never give up, but you are second best for the mo. 🙂

On teh positive side though. I feel that we can avoid conceding a goal, and we should maximise our chances of doing so. Do a Pubis for just one game is all I say! 😛

Will Arsene do so? Nay, not a chance. However, if we go the first 45 without conceding, we will be through. COYG. 🙂

23. fatgingergooner says:

All our goals this season have come from crosses, so we need to utilise the wide areas and not get obsessed with some surgical precision passing through the middle. Get to the byline and pick someone out.

24. So according to the newspapers we could end up with Falcao, Cavani or………………Zigic!!!!!

Hmmmmmmmm……

25. dave says:

If arsenal goes down in the final years of wenger’s reign, It would be poetic justice. I won’t even feel too bad. The fans deserve the club and vice versa. They watched when wenger didn’t sign some high quality players because of a reported few extra million. They watched him give high wages to mediocres. Implementing a sillÝ socialist wage structure. They watched as the club’s real stars wound down their contracts while we remained unwilling to break our wage policies for deserving players. And all the while they made excuses for the club and blamed it on the stadium and refused to face facts. Arsenal fans deserve wenger and arsenal as a club doesn’t deserve to be a big club anytime soon.

hahahaha. Sniffer’s back!

27. arnie says:

A day for biting fingernails rather than transfer speculation, nevertheless ….

Nikola Zigic’s agent confirms talks with Arsene Wenger over shock Arsenal transfer

Nikola Zigic’s agent Milan Calasan has revealed that Arsenal have opened talks with his client over a shock move to the Emirates Stadium.

The 6’7” striker is currently a free agent after his Birmingham City contract expired at the end of last season, and despite suggestions that he might retire, Arsenal have moved in.

Calasan told the local media: ‘Wenger called me on Tuesday and stressed his desire to sign Zigic.

‘He was offered a contract until the end of the year, with a view to it being extended to 2015 – we’ll see what happens.’

Serbian news outlet Sports Journal claims that the 33-year-old has already accepted the contract, and is now having medical tests with the Gunners ahead of signing up.

Zigic scored 36 times in 148 matches for Birmingham, but has endured a difficult time at the club, having survived several attempts to release him – while former boss Lee Clark described one of his training performances ‘as one of the worst of all time’.

Source: Metro

arnie. This has to be a joke

29. fatgingergooner says:

Must be lunchtime at Dave’s school.

Sounds like youve just had double Business Dave, any good?

30. arnie says:

31. arnie says:

Agreed, Raddy. 🙂

32. Ant says:

Let’s all do the Pubis!

33. fatgingergooner says:

According to wikipedia, this guys sports agency has manged the careers of quite a few players, including Arsene Wenger and Nikola Zigic!!!!!

Oh dear!

34. arnie says:

However, just in case this were true, I would trust Arsene’s sense on loans. Remember Kallstrom?

35. Shard says:

It doesn’t take much to send the Goonerverse into meltdown does it?

It seems like everyone’s losing their minds over a new striker. I’d like one but I wouldn’t want to pay 20m just for a season long loan for Falcao (unless there’s a reasonable option to buy – say a further 20m, or 30m if he scores 20+ goals in the league)

Cavani is not going to happen, and Benzema is the only other ‘big name’ striker I’ve seen linked. That won’t happen unless Real Madrid buy Falcao. Maybe not even then.

If a wide forward like Reus is available, and affordable, I’d buy him and place trust in Sanchez and Sanogo to play the striker role, or switch tactics to 4-4-2.

With the Zigic thing, if it’s true, I’d be terrified of the reaction. It’d be like with Kallstrom. Wenger’s better off not signing anybody and saying we have enough, than trying to get a short term solution to a short term problem (until the long term solution is available), based on the way fans react to transfers like that. I’m more stressed about the mood around the fanbase than the striker situation and that’s saying something.

As for the game today. I’m nervous, but I think we’re going to go out focused and determined to win, and we’ll get the result we need to play in the CL.

36. arnie says:

Agree with you, Shard. 🙂

What a gambler, though. You have to take your hats off. Supporting Arsenal has reduced my life span by 3 months at least. Already. 🙂 🙂

But I enjoy it. Its like the thrill of a rollercoaster! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Cheers, BR.

I’d like to see Santi play centrally in Rambo’s absence.

C’mon you Gunners.

Ans: since 1998, innit?

38. arnie says:

The point is, Zigic’s agent could either be speaking with his arse, or otherwise, would not release this info without Arsenal’s consent. What exactly is the game on the background, then? 🙂

BR is going to Malmo to watch them try to turn over Salzburg (highly unlikely) but this means I miss the Arse game and I have found that if I record it, we lose almost every time!

Oh the difficulties of being a Gooner

Don’t record it, then!

Nice stress free evening.
    Watch it on Arsenal Player tomorrow if we win.
    Job done.

Remember what arnie said, you’ll live longer without The Arsenal.

Is Malmo in Sweden? How far away is that?

Right, off to The Smoke.

Cheers Raddy

I agree with your line up. That side will thrash the Turks 5-0

Sanago can come on near the end if were struggling and in desperate need of the fifth goal.

Not that worried about Girouds leg. Knowing Giroud I dont think he is too worried either. Girouds the kind of bloke whos first instinct when getting hit in the leg is to check that his gonads are undamaged.

Injuries are good news. It gives somebody else a chance to make a statement and deliver the goods. It makes players hungry so overall this could be a big positive

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring

46. Chas, Malmo is just over the bridge from Kopenhagen, probably less than an hours drive.

47. Terrence

I think the liquid in your loins is probably stirring……

Afternoon all and long time no see. Just back from my holidays and I have to say I don’t really have my finger on the pulse currently as to the general feelings of A.A’ers with our current squad.

Thanks for the post Raddy. If Sanchez is to play up top I feel he would play best with 2 pacy wide attacking players who can score goals either side of him who can get close to him quickly when he receives the ball or offer him a run beyond him behind the defence. With what we have available I would play the Ox and Campbell either side of him. Ozil in behind and Flamini with one of Wilshere or Rosicky behind that. If Ozil is off the pace then replace with Santi.

I just also read Steves post yesterday regarding whether we are happy with the current squad or need additions. I have to say that I am both optimistic but slightly concerned in equal measures.

I still feel one more experienced (to a degree) defender, and a powerful DM is required but I am also concerned about our striking department. We haven’t looked greatly prolific or threatening in recent games and something doesn’t seem quite in tune up top. It may just be that more time is required for the team to get up to scratch and new players to a dapt to a new league, but I couldn’t help but think after the weekend that we were looking overly reliant on Ollie again.

I always feel that any EPL or ECL winning team needs at least one player who can hit 20+ goals in that season even with contributions from other areas of the squad. Normally that will come from the number 9 players. I ask the question who is our proven 20+ a season goal getter. We actually don’t have one IMO. Ollie is the closest, but even he hasn’t yet had that break out season where he reaches those marks. Maybe it would have been this year, but now with the injury?

Sanogo is the next closest traditional number 9 but I can’t really see him hitting that level at the moment. I actually question whether he is any further on than either Afobe or Akpom at the moment and if those 2 aren’t ready to be a regular 1st team contributor I don’t like the idea of falling back on Sanogo in Ollies absence.

All the other players who could go up top are not players who have played the role regularly that you could guarantee can lead the line for a season. Most are those versatile ACM’s / wing forwards that could “possibly” be effective leading the line across a season but none of them have played the role on a regular basis and so don’t have the history to guarantee they can do it. That could include all of Walcott, Campbell, Podolski and Sanchez.

When it comes off an attacking wide player converted to striker tends to be better than the pure poacher, like TH14. If they prove they have the strikers instinct it is then allied to that greater depth in their game that they developed as a wider player. Diego Costa has recently done this. For me the player that could be available that looks like they have the best all round attributes to move from a deeper position to striker would be Reus.

Sanchez looks to me to be someone who could become a great striker but at the moment looks like he should be deployed in the wing forward position for the best part of this season. Let him adapt to the league in the position he has operated in most of his career and give him some games up top when the risk is less.

I feel that we will be taking a certain amount of risk entering the season without an additional striker to what we already have. AW has apparantly said we still have lots of forwards. While I agree with this I would argue that they are all too similar and we are still lacking a proven specialist in that one area and therefore the squad is potentially imbalanced in the attacking department.

I have been out of the loop for a milli second and don’t know the news on Giroud.

Has the damage been announced? How long is he out for?

Good read BR

Thanks as ever.

51. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all,
    Nice one Raddy, Bit surprised nobody has picked Podolski I had assumed that Arsenal leaking out how pleased he was to be back was to tell us that he is there should Girouds News be bad.

I would think Podolski would start unless his suitcase is packed. Up front i would plumb for Poldi Sanchez and either Ox or Campbel, I doubt both of those will make 90 minutes so either one but both will play, I feel Wenger will let Kos sit on the bench and bring on Chambers, as i feel Wenger would not want to use him too much in the league this season, and Kos may still be a worry.

Rosiski may start but he too struggles to last 90 so i expect him to come on in the second half.. Flamester will start , how long he will be on is anybodies guess but should he not get booked he may just see out the game.

I agree with the team up there apart from the Ox and Cazorla swapping positions from how you have them up there.

53. I’m wondering how Podolski is feeling at the moment. Forever never used, a manager that apparently has no faith in him, very rarely even on the bench, probably being given the message that he can go and then whammo…. Giroud injured, and Wenger says, you’re going nowhere matey, we need you now. Despite him being 100% gooner, it must fuck with his head. Would you now want to go out and give 100% for Wenger?

54. fatgingergooner says:

I think Kozzer is still injured so my final guess is:-

Szscesny
    Debuchy Chambo Merts Monreal
    Ozil Flamini Wilshere
    Ox Sanchez Cazorla

Funny thing is, for all the talk of attacker crisis, you could still list about numerous different attacking combinations we could play even with the injuries we have:

Ox Sanogo Cazorla
    Campbell Sanchez Ozil
    Ox Campbell Sanchez
    Sanchez Podolski Cazorla

etc etc

Only issue is wether any of those players, apart from Sanogo, are out and out strikers.

55. Ginge……. nice name that, Peaches once loved a Ginge 🙂

The other question is, apart from Cazorla , Podolski and the Ox, can any of them score a goal?

Are you allowed 7 instead of 5 on the bench for CL games, if so that takes care of all that are fit and standing.

Most probably one of the most difficult decisions for AW to make for a long time,as to who starts.

57. fatgingergooner says:

northbank1969 🙂 🙂

58. fatgingergooner says:

I still think Huntelaar would be a great option if available.

59. arnie says:

NorthBank. Jack? BFG? And if Kos were available, Kos? Anyway, you get the idea, so I will stop there. 😛

60. arnie

You know full well I was talking about the forwards… you little tinker 🙂

fgg

forget it,it will never happen 🙂

62. fatgingergooner says:

Kelsey,

hes only got 12 months left on a contract, so not totally ridiculous.

I wonder if Zigic is the option if we lose tonight, and Cavani if we win!!!!

No pressure lads!

63. At this very moment the boys are in the dressing room, drinking their energy drinks, slipping out of their pants and putting on their white shorts, looking to see if a team-mate has a bigger one and scared shitless…………. thinking if we lose tonight, that’s more than £20m lost……… got to win, got to win, then we can get Cavani. Fuck, imagine the stress.

64. Sorry FGG

I’m in a bit of a funny mood leading up to the game… forgot to take my medication 🙂

65. You just have to love the man……. he shows loyalty like this even after he’s been fucked up my the club:

66. stevepalmer1 says:

sorry LB just planted out a few plants before kick off, If your comment was in answer to mine, you could be right mate. 🙂

just read the PM, well nice, cheers Big

No Sonogo please until 3rd goal of ours. It is going to be squeaky bums all around, Ems might not be a nice place to be tonight.

15 or 16 seasons?

And we have a pitch layout! Is Rasp not striking anymore? Good, all this striking was childish IMO 🙂

the red Mancs must be kicking themselves – they should have listened to us when we told them that Moist was good for them

Szczesny

Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Monreal
    Flamini Wilshere

Ox Ozil Cazorla

Sanchez

Well done Raddy.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger: “Alexis Sanchez is sharp in his movement, he is quick. I believe he can give them trouble. Yaya Sanogo is ready as well. It was a tight decision but Sanchez is used to playing under pressure.

“Laurent Koscielny has important experience, Calum Chambers has done well but maybe he needs a breather. I have told the players to keep calm and trust in the way we play.”

72. rhyle says:

If anyone has a decent stream for the game it’d be appreciated. Stuck in office tonight…arse…

73. Kels

Sanchez is a bit too quick… our midfielders don’t know where he is. He’ll be off at half – time. Sanogo or Campbell on.

74. rhyle

Try Vipbox……. try thr 8th. 9th or 10th link… then close all the Ad boxes

75. BTW… it may be in Spanish. You can find ESPN or Fox, but they tend to be a bit slow. 🙂

rhyle – wiziwig or RojaDirecta have lots of streams

who is representing us at the Ems, just Peaches?

78. rhyle says:

cheers guys…we’re up and running!

79. arnie says:

well done, Raddy. 🙂 🙂 🙂 So, we are not parking the bus, then. 😛

COYG. 🙂 🙂 🙂

80. arnie says:

Evonne: where are Ant n’ Duck? Not at the Ems?

no idea arnie. They should be thereit is their responsibility, but you can never trust those northerners, completely unreliable

or do they have food poisoning after all the junk they scoffed on Saturday

bet you any money Ox will score tonight

phew………playing with fire

84. arnie says:

credit where one is due. well done ref! 🙂

85. arnie says:

Evonne. 🙂

86. arnie says:

brilliant!!!!!!! Alexis Sanchez!!!!!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

87. arnie says:

steady on now. only half way there. 🙂 🙂

Good time to score…..need a second though.

Jack did well not going for the ball, proper footballing brain:)

Jack my motm at the moment sometimes a bit quick going to ground in the tackle but in possession is driving us forward with pace really well. On his game he is an excellent carrier of the ball and is really good in tight spaces in and around the opposition box.

we are specialists in injury time goals.

1-0 is just as dangerous as 0-0.Need to keep Sanchez further up the field.

A word on Debuchy’s tackle….priceless.

Oh and the agent of Zigic claims Arsenal are interested…….hmmmmm this be Zigic the player without a club? So probably an agent trying to drum up business around his man? If we sign him I’ll eat LB’s hat

Debuchy also looking a proper warrior especially with the Mr. T barnet. Delivers a good ball in as well. Will have to be slightly careful on a yellow because they still look dangerous. A second goal would ease my nerves. Take the pace off the game then and rein the FB’s in slightly so last ditch tackles are not so often needed.

The sky commentator wants Arsenal to lose.

Who gie? What has he said?

96. arnie says:

The Sky commentators. Fecking barstewards, the whole lot. 🙂 🙂

GoonerB – and why is Jack so good tonight? Recent post springs to mind

Sorry Eddie but I am ashamed to say I haven’t caught all the recent posts. Will look back but if you could give me a heads up on which one it would be appreciated.

99. TwentyTwelve says:

Omg! Need to settle down and control possession.

100. arnie says:

hang on, hang on, hang on for dear life.

101. TwentyTwelve says:

Doesn’t he run out of cards? 🙂

102. TwentyTwelve says:

Whew! Never in doubt. Expected 1-0 win to the Arsenal.

103. fatgingergooner says:

I’m off to claim my pension tomorrow I’ve aged that much!

How good was Alexis in that striker role!?

Unbelievable resolve shown by the men in red. Proud as f*ck!

brilliant game
    brilliant result
    brilliant atmo at the Ems

ooh to ooh to be
    ooh to be a Gunner!!!

105. arnie says:

1-0 to the Arsenal!!!! 🙂 phew!

Yes, never in doubt, except for the perpetual doubters! 🙂

Sanchez was brilliant!

Not a game for the faint hearted. Magnificent performance.

GB – it was a very good post discussing the Lampard -Gerrard syndrome in our team, ie can Wilshere and Rambo play together

108. Shard says:

So proud of the entire team. Everyone gave so much effort.

I am sick and tired of the referees punishing Arsenal harsher than the other team. The commentators kept going on about the penalty appeals, but credit to the referee there, I though he got them both right (although the Wilshere slide tackle was potentially dangerous)

Man I’m so tense I still can’t relax.

Why did the referee go so doolally?

A card for Chambers for coming on when the 4th Official had told him to — bloody pathetic.

110. arnie says:

OK, now, on to the tactical bollix!!!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Humble pie time. I said, to not concede, we will have to park the bus. What do I know! 😛

Raddy – 17 🙂 🙂

112. arnie says:

OK, Jack-doubters, out of the woodwork! 🙂

113. arnie says:

Jack just said he slipped and made contact in the first half. 🙂 well, we were lucky I suppose. 🙂 🙂 🙂

The answer is yes they can, they just need to work out how. Jack showed his best side tonight, receiving under pressure turning his man and getting us yards up the pitch. And even though it’s all left foot he has learned to do it well.

The difference between Santi and Rambo is Santi provides an option for a pass and drags players away. Rambo and Jack guilty of trying to occupy the same areas. But there is room for everyone.

Debuchy, Koz, Monreal, Flamster all stepped up to the fight tonight. Thought second booking was tad unfair but ref clearly enjoyed scattering them around after that.

115. fatgingergooner says:

It’s an absolute disgrace that these refs are allowed so much influence over such vital games. Bunch of mugs.

It must’ve been too easy tonight, that’s the only reason the Ox would miss an open goal and Debuchy would get himself sent off!!!

116. fatgingergooner says:

Ooooh, almost forgot, Man U lost 4-0 last night to MK Dons!!!!

Hahaha fecking idiots! 🙂

117. arnie says:

sorry, I am not criticising the ref tonight. you get some, you lose some. law of averages.

118. arnie says:

ha ha ha ha, Vandal leads ManUre numpties to disaster! who was it that was asking for Welbeck? Numpties all. 🙂

calm down fatie, any other ref and we could have had 2 pens against us. and another red. I am quite happy with the Portugese

120. arnie says:

Of course, numpties all the ManUre players is what I meant. 😛

121. TwentyTwelve says:

Second that on Flamini. He did an outstanding job.

Right, for being put through that torture I expect to be repaid with the signing of Cavani, Khadira and Cavalho.

You can make your lists as long as you like boys about Wilshere to which I will simply say that Ramsey does it all better and very importantly he scores goals.

I assume you all had your faces buried in pillows for the last five minutes, when you feel brave enough, watch those minutes again and focus on Wilshere.

My nerves are shredded.

I love Sanchez’ close control, love it.

Off to watch the highlights. See ya.

127. fatgingergooner says:

Eddie,

In my defence, I only watched the second half and therefore only saw a poor sending off and lots of random yellow cards! My point still stands though because if he hasn’t done us out of the CL, then he’s done the Turks out of it. So much authority for card happy numpties!

Anyway, don’t want to take anything away from our brilliant effort so will leave the ref bashing for another game.

Arsenal v Southampton in League Cup.

Giroud out until New Year after having surgery.

So much to take in this evening!!!

Come off it LB, Ramsey is great but he cant drive with the ball like Jack or stick his foot in like him either. There simply different players

Wilshere was simply outstanding and will only get better, a lot better. The time is coming when he will create and score goals on a consistent basis

The aim is to have one of the best midfields in Europe with Ramsey and Wilshere as its core, and it will happen.

129. fatgingergooner says:

Watching the game and we definitely started 4-1-4-1.

I think I’m starting to like that formation as it means we hold our width much better.

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Fantastic!!!! Loyal Executive Supporter here just got in from not watching the game 🙂

Such an important win. Very very happy. Will have to watch Arsenal Iplayer tomorrow.

Happy night for all. Peaches, Ant n Duck, LB, Transplant and everyone else at the Ems…wow

Must go. Sweet dreams.

131. fatgingergooner says:

I’ve got to say that I absolutely love Santi Cazorla playing in the middle. I’ve never seen a player who is so good at keeping the ball in tight spaces. He’s a special talent.

Yes Ginge, Santi was delicious. Twinkle toes.

133. fatgingergooner says:

I’ve decided that as he scored the winner, Sanchez has now repaid £25m and therefore only cost us about £7m!

Due to this, we deserve a marquee signing of at least £30m! 🙂

Just back from Malmo where the home side beat a very good Salzburg 3-0 to go through to the CL for the first time. The place was absolutely rocking and reminded me of the Highbury of my youth. Brilliant night

And made even better by a comfortable win for the Arsenal. Never in doubt.

Hope we draw Malmo in our group. We will muller them 😀

Pisspoor about OG.

LB I’m not one to criticise Ozil in the main but if we are only focussing on Jacks last five (which from my memory was maybe no more panicked or disastrous than anyone else bar perhaps Santi and Sanchez) can we also focus on Ozil running the ball up the pitch and not releasing Sanchez instead holding on to the ball too long and running into a crowd of players and losing possession.

Jack created the goal and should have created a second had Sanchez not had his shot blocked. I actually think playing alongside Flamini helped him as Flamster cannot distribute like Arteta so Jack was the outlet and provider of the ball to the attacking midfield. Almost like he was playing with erm Song.

I want Lugobrets, did you see the penalty shoot out? Their keeper was actually their Centre Back and saved two penalties to knock out Steauea.

Bloody hell. 10 cards in the game. Must have been a battle,

138. stevepalmer1 says:

Great result, Good teamwork, and they fought to the last Minute. Sanchez gets his first goal so monkey off his back, and Jack had a good night.

I am one that knocked Jack, I am of course pleased as heck that he turned up tonight, but his shot off target when he had all the goal to aim at still proves he can’t shoot.

Jack would have been many’s MOTM tonight if only he could produce every game i perhaps could warm to him again, But sadly i think this is just the one game in ten, but i could be wrong.

Well done Gunners.

139. That was bloody brilliant, although not for the feint hearted.

The ref did everything he could to spoil the game but the good guys prevailed. There were some very tired legs out there in the last 15 minutes but one man kept on running -Alexis. What an exciting footballer, I hope he heard the cheers of appreciation because some of the things he did were pure brilliance.

Micky – Champions League draw tomorrow – Thursday – at 4.30

140. fatgingergooner says:

Just watched the game:-

The ref gave 6 yellows and 1 red in 15 minutes! Just saying.

Wilshere was excellent but still manages to give the ball away too much. His one-two for the goal, his ball through to Sanchez in the first half and his pass to put Sanchez in on goal in the second half were different class.

Our full backs were excellent and defended really well. Special mention to Monreal who’s been outstanding since Gibbs got injured.

Cazorla was unbelievable with and without the ball. When Debuchy got sent off he turned into a box to box midfielder and positioned himself brilliantly in front of Monreal.

Özil still hasn’t found his feet in this team, but the movement of Sanchez, Ox and eventually Walcott will definitely help him. Let’s not forget it was he who was on Wilshere’s wavelength to play the one-two that got the goal.

Sanchez is definitely capable of playing as the main striker. He is very explosive with his running and gives us a threat in behind, but what is more impressive is his ability to win balls he shouldn’t even get near. He also wins free kicks that you would normally expect someone who is 6 foot plus to win. He uses his body so well that he has the presence of someone much bigger and stronger. He was brilliant.

Koz and Merts, 1 game played, 1 clean sheet.

For all the stress, did Szscesny make a save?

Pretty solid performance against a good team (Besiktas under Bilic must be a good bet for the Turkish title this season).

We showed glimpses of what we can do. Jack showed improvement and I was impressed with Alexis, Debuchy and Santi.

Things are starting to click. I think this is going to be a fun season.

Great to see the gaffers last night and what a banging night at THOF.

It really feels as though the season has now started properly with the CL draw to come later today and Cavani, Falcao, Carvalho, Zigic and Tom Cleverley to sign tomorrow.

FGG I wasn’t saying Ozil had a bad game, I actually think he did a lot of good and the right things, my point was more about that bias that we all hold and how we use things we have seen to justify our opinion, but ignore others.

So an Ozil lover will say he played the 1-2 for the goal.

An Ozil hater will recall the woeful pass to Sanchez in the first half and the bit I mentioned at the end.

Same goes for Jack, a hater will say his 1-2 was the exception that proves the rule, a lover will say he always tries to move us forward and we would rather that than 20 sideways passes to retain possession.

I don’t think there was much to criticise of anyone on the pitch yesterday they all did their jobs for 90 minutes.

But if I was to pick a MotM it would be between Monreal, Santi, Jack and Sanchez. Because I felt they were stand out players, Debuchy would also have been in for a shout but his sending off meant he was out for an important 15 minutes, and I really didn’t like his confrontational stance to the ref when he got his second yellow. I like his passion but not a good way to show it.

How about St Petersburg, Bilbao and Malmo for the continuing adventures of DidIt and Ommmm?

Haha, I loved Debuchy’s passion and he was right to object to a ridiculous sending off.
    (just to illustrate your point further)

The Boosh for MOTM for me. 🙂

“You’re a good looking rooster…” 🙂

Morning all
    Yet another brief visit. Should be back in the saddle by 4:45 today 🙂
    Hope we avoid French and Italian teams, as not really interested in going to either, and also hope tasty away games are not in September as work diary is a nightmare.
    Saw Arsene’s pm interview. Favourite line being “I bought Sanchez as a striker” 🙂

Morning Chas,

Falcao, Zigic (God forbid) etc will have to whistle. 🙂

AW said, Giroud is out until /december/January. Straight away you will ask me if I will buy someone to replace him – and straight away I will tell you NO.

So that’s that then. 🙂

Chas

Like the look of your three away choices. I’d throw in Sporting, and will have to google some of the minnows in Pot 4 to find out where they are.
    Would be very handy if there was a team in Estonia, as genuinely have to go there for work 🙂

RA

That is not what AW said was it? 🙂

He said “No” to Welbeck and affording Falcao, but clearly said would strengthen in any position

Micky, Hi.

He gave an interview after the game and said only that he would consider his options. He then gave a Press interview and ruled out various named strikers when asks.

Finally he gave an interview to the BBC and was probably peed off by then and said what I wrote earlier, in a very forceful way, — Straight away you will ask me if I will buy someone to replace him – and straight away I will tell you NO.

That’s not relying on blogs or twitter – I heard him. 🙂

GIE

We certainly can focus on Ozil as well and I would say he was pants.

Wilshire probably was MOTM to many, yes boys, as the saying goes, in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.

Koscielny though was my MOTM, I thought was faultless.

Micky,

Timing in life is everything. Over the past 3 years I have been to Tallinn a number of times. We could have hooked up if you had been going there over that time.

I could have shown you around.

My main advice is avoid, if possible, English speaking Russian taxi drivers! The Ukraine situation is no surprise to me, as I have been told more that once ‘it was better when this was part of the USSR’ — so watch out Estonia 🙂

Hi LB,

The relief at getting through makes me reluctant to have a dig at any individual player.

But I am surprised that so many pundits and fans have given Jack the accolade of being MOTM.

He had a couple of excellent spells during the game, and one led to the goal, and he deserves credit for that, of course.

However for most of the game he played in much the same way he has in previous games so far, and seems to be struggling to me.

Overall, apart from the goal we looked pretty toothless up front – probably nerves – and the ref, who was hopeless, could have given two penalties against us, one of which Jack admitted, and we would be feeling very different today, if he had given one or both of them.

It only proves any given number of people can see something and disagree with each other as to what they saw. 🙂

RA

We have someone from The Ukraine staying with us as we speak. She’s sitting right here, and certainly wouldn’t think anyone was ever better off in a Communist country

Ask Eddie 🙂

Must go

RA

He had a better game than usual last night, it gives us hope for the future especially in view of the fact that Wenger is not going to give up on him.

tra la la tra la la tra la la 🙂

Majority would agree that Jack had a great game. But some would vote for Koscielny 🙂

So now your accusing me of wearing an eye patch LB?

I can assure you, I have no desire to incur the wrath of a mob who oppose 1980s popular culture.

What is it you have against Jack anyway? is it really his all round game, or have you evidence that he and others are seceretly plotting to overthrow the Congolese goverment?

Jack was briliant last night

micky is right. I hate everything about communism, the whole idea is seriously flawed – what’s that nonsence about all people being equal? They are not

our Irish on Facebook:
    “Did about 50 laps of my living room, stopped breathing a few times, rewrote the trucker’s language book but bloody hell, we’re there again. WE LOVE YOU ARSENAL, WE DO! ”

Alexis Sanchez has paid off his transfer fee – open up that chequebook again, Arsene

Terry, Terry, Terry.

I have nothing against Jack, no one wants him to succeed more than me.

But it is not correct to say that he was brilliant last night, far more accurate would be to say that he was better.

By the way, the reference to the one eyed man is king refers to the fact that the rest of the team were average at best last night, not aimed at you or anyone else on here.

New Post in drafts if anyone of authority is about.:)

Fair enough LB, I know you want him to do well, goes without saying.

I guess ime biased because am really desperate for him to perform.

The guy has come through all our kids and youth teams, not many players do that these days

tra la la, tra la la, tra la la

166. Morning Happy People

OMG, I’m still buzzing. Jack was better last night ……. he did some very good things but we should expect that from him and obviously we all want him to succeed.

167. Eddie – your Santi was amazing last night

168. …….. as was my Koscielny

Kelsey. It depends upon what you mean by authority. Mrs. Raddy is here ….

Can’t wait for the draw.

I said in the post that it would be interesting to see whether JW improved without Ramsey and it appears he did.

Also, very poor show with the answers to the quiz question. Only 2 responses and as a game day quiz question was going to be my idea for the season’s end of posts, it seems as if I shall have to think again!

peaches 🙂 Sanit is world class 🙂 my Santi and your Koscielny. BTW did I tell you that Koscielny means the man working in a church, like ringing bells etc ?

A Bell Ringer, Eddie, or in Koscieny’s case, perhaps a Ball Winner. 🙂

172. Like ringing church bells 😆

173. Match post-mortem on GunnersoreArse, until some lazy bugger on here pens something. Everyone welcome:

Raddy,

Your Post yesterday was very good, and thank you.:-)

Mind you Eddie, in English bell-ringers perform campanology, so we should call him Laurence Campanologist. 🙂

176. We have a New Post everyone ………………..