The underdogs fight back.

This was never going to be an easy game and many Arsenal fans would have been happy to take a draw before the game started. But not me. I wanted a win. Yet, I ended the day happy.

Everton have become a very good side, and their manager seems to have impressed a lot of people with not just his tactics, but also his ‘niceness’. They had an injury to Barkley, but we were without Arteta and Gibbs, while still bedding in our new signings. Crucially, we were also just coming off a midweek game away in Turkey on an energy sapping pitch. Like I said, this wouldn’t be an easy game.

We welcomed back 2 of our World Cup winning Germans, with BFG replacing Koscielny (presumably carrying an injury) and Ozil playing on the left. Alexis Sanchez got his first start in the striker position, with Ox coming in to add some speed and directness. This made Micky very happy. But it also seemed to make Tim Howard happy because just as Arsenal could not find their feet, the Ox could not find the goal with any of his shots. Arsenal went behind to a headed goal from a brilliant pass by Gareth Barry, huffed and puffed some more, but couldn’t cause Everton any problems.

Arsenal then conceded once again on the stroke of half time after Lukaku bundled over Mertesacker, and got a clear path towards goal when Chambers dived in instead of covering. He then passed the ball to an offside Naismith who scored between Szczesny’s legs. Yes, it was a dirty moment in the game and one that both the referee and the linesman should be ashamed for allowing to happen. To be fair, some blame might also rest on our defence because Everton actually had a brilliant chance to score prior to this when Mirallas got in behind our defence.

Still, to be 2-0 down just before half time to an undeserved goal was a bit of a kick in the teeth. Wenger then did the unthinkable and made a half time substitution (please let this not have been due to an injury to Alexis).

With Giroud providing more of a familiar figure and a target man to bounce things off, Arsenal slowly started to get into the game, although it still took them a further 20 minutes to register a shot on goal. In the meanwhile, Everton retreated, secure in their ill gotten gains and unleashed the krack-head Naismith to kick, dive, moan, and try and get Debuchy sent off. That the referee didn’t is probably a huge surprise because he was certainly aiding and abetting this behaviour. Maybe he was just feeling the love from the Toffee crowd but Arsenal ended up getting heavily punished with yellow cards and fouls, while Everton were allowed to constantly get away with worse. It made our tough task even tougher.

While a lesser team would have collapsed, we kept trying. Wenger brought on Campbell and Santi for Wilshere and Ox with around 15 minutes to go. And it was Santi who was to finally provide a sumptuous ball across goal that Ramsey turned in, as he is wont to do nowadays.

There were now 7 minutes left on the clock and only a goal in it. Game on!

In the 90th minute Ramsey overhit a cross from the right, which was kept in by Ignacio Monreal. He in turn crossed to Giroud, who got between Jagielka and Distin to score with his coiffed head. He might have missed a chance early in the second half, (which I felt wasn’t an easy one to take though no doubt people will say a ‘world class’ forward would have scored that) but he made no mistake at the end of the second half. Arsenal tried to continue attacking, but time was running out. Sadly, Giroud’s final act of the half was to get injured trying to block a clearance and the manager says it’s not looking good, and so we get to maintain our record of an injury a match.

However, even that does not dampen the positivity around the spirit we showed in very challenging circumstances. A point gained rather than two dropped, and now Arsenal  switch their attention towards reaching the Champions League, where no toffee has gone before.

Match analysis written by Shard

Player ratings from LB

Szczesny: another solid game as far as I could tell, don’t really see how he could have done much to stop either of the goals. 7

Debuchy: made a huge stride forward, I thought, better defensively, better in attack, better all round, if he can improve that much in the space of three games he is going to be all and more that we hoped for. 7

Chambers: this was the stand out player for me over the whole 90 minutes, there was one slip again which naturally gets highlighted but Mertesacker does that every game and certainly did today on more than one occasion the difference being that if the opposition don’t score no one bats an eye lid. 8

Mertersacker: good to have our vice captain back, yes, he looked a bit rusty but what did we expect, it was his first competitive game, got more and more into his stride as the game went on. 6

Monreal: we shouldn’t forget that the Spaniard is a stand in for Gibbs; yes, he got skinned on more than one occasion but as he was the one who sent in the cross for Giroud to head home and save a point all is forgiven with me. 6

Ramsey: had a poor first half, his passes were going all over the place, but just when you are about to get frustrated with him he pops up to score the goal that gave us a life line. 6

Flamini: his role is not a glamorous one, protecting the backline is a thankless task on the best of days, he’s not bad but he’s not good. If we qualify for the CL I hope the potential revenue generated is spent on an upgrade in this position. 6

Wilshere: if he is not an attacking midfielder which he clearly isn’t, then what is he?
We have so many better options. 5

Oxlaide-Chamberlain: well we got our wish, he played but was not that effective I have to say, lots of running, all the chances falling to him in the first half, not quite what we hoped for: 5

Sanchez: first time playing up front, I thought he was brilliant; he was my MOTM for the first half. The problem of course was that the new system was so different nobody quite knew what to do. It wasn’t that he was doing things wrong it was the players around him. 9

Ozil: we heard all the jokes about him still being on the beach; still, changing flip flops to boots at half time helped, obviously not match fit but got better as the game went on. 6

Subs

Giroud: there is not a plan A and a plan B, different players are better suited to play against different opposition. If Wenger attempted to motivate Giroud by playing Sanogo ahead of him then it worked to an extent but nowhere near as much as it fired him up when he saw Sanchez get the nod ahead of him. This man had a point to prove when he took to the field for the second half. Competition for places, you gotta love it. 8

Cazorla: he aint a left winger. If he is played in Arshavin’s grave yard then we should expect below par performances. We shouldn’t forget that the reason we fell in love with him was because he used to play in the hole just behind the CF. We got a glimpse of it when he came on; he is still a quality player. 7

Joel Campbell: a few good touches, not enough time to influence the game.

79 Responses to The underdogs fight back.

Shard. Excellent report and certainly better than the rubbish I have read this morning from professional hacks.

I am unsure about Sanchez’s role as was the man himself. Unless we have a player going central and into the box there is little point in crosses.

LB. Was the 9 for Sanchez sarcasm? 🙂

2. fatgingergooner says:

I still think Wenger is coming to terms with all the options he now has in attack, and it will take a while before we see it in full flow. He needs to find his first 11 as soon as possible, but just as important he needs to figure out where people’s best positions are and stick to them. It’s so easy to say Sanchez can play anywhere across the front 4, but where is he most effective? Find everyones best 2 positions and only use them in those unless injuries dictate otherwise. Same goes for players like Ox, Campbell and Cazorla. Once Wenger has a clear picture of his starting 11 and their replacements then we will start to click into gear.

As for Özil, I think yesterday proves that he should only be used as a number 10 against the better sides. Yes, he can play wide going forward, but he can’t play wide going backwards, and that is suicide against teams who are happy to let their full backs bomb on against us. We can get away with it against poor teams, but against the big guns he needs to play in a position where he doesn’t have to defend as much.

Just in for a quick coffee break

Great report Shard, thank you
    And thanks LB for the ratings. So agree about Chambers.

I am as happy this morning as I was post match. Really liking the options I knew we had, and absolutely loving the fact that Arsene is really experimenting with those options.

FGG
    I think that is a really excellent point about Mesut.

I do think yesterdays side would have been stronger by switching Jack for a more defensive player alongside Flamini, but with Arteta unavailable, I get it. Stand by my post the other day that I don’t see Jack and Rambo in the same side, and would argue we looked better yesterday once Jack went off.

Maybe a fit Kos alongside Mert may see AW playing Chambers stiffening the midfield. Arsene has muttered such thoughts in public, so why not.

Have a great day all.

4. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning all, I like this idea of a joint effort, it’s interesting to compare Shard’s write up with LB’s player ratings.

I’m happy that we came away with a point and we were lucky indeed to do so. We were outplayed for most of the game, unable to gain enough possession to put any serious pressure on a very good Everton side. Our build-up play was once again far too slow, easily allowing the Toffees to regain their defensive shape while we popped the ball backwards and forwards between Chambers, Mertesacker and anybody else who wandered back into our half.

I wasn’t surprised to see Alexis subbed, although half-time was earlier than I thought possible, he was totally isolated up front, constantly chasing down defenders and trying to harry them into mistakes while vainly trying to urge someone, anyone to join him in Everton’s half of the pitch. I guess the poor sod was totally knackered by half-time and must be wondering what he’s got himself into.

The second half was better, we were getting numbers forward and, as the Everton players started to tire, we gained more possession and were able to put their defence under some sustained pressure.

Finally the breakthrough came with Cazorla’s trickery leading to a lovely cross for Ramsey, who had made a great run into the box, to turn into the net.

And then came Giroud, after spurning three good chances he finally got a very good header on target and scored from the much maligned Nacho Monreal’s fine cross.

I still believe we need a Striker upgrade, either that or we need Walcott back who can use his pace to keep up with Alexis.

Nice write up Shard, thank for a good read.

Aaaah Norfolk, you saw Sanchez in the same way as I did, your third paragraph sums my thoughts up perfectly.

7. wally says:

Good result, perhaps better than deserved but…
    Still lacking movement upfront. The ball gets in the final third and everyone becomes static looking for ball to feet. Ramsey scored because he was moving. Everyone else was standing still as the replay showed. Same on Giroud’s goal. Monreal looks up and the camera behind shows everyone just standing there. A pinpoint pass, well-taken, saved the day.
    Maybe we start playing with a false nine to get some movement. Force people to move into and out of the box, create uncertainty in the defence. Having a post in the final third is almost pointless.
    Lets hope it gets better in time for Besikitas.

Well done both LB and Shard.

Monreal and Ozil were a disaster waiting to happen, and the first Everton goal was somehow inevitable.

We sort of played all right in a training ground sort of way, with mistakes made consistently and no one seeming to learn from them, and not seeming to be bothered.

LB’s player scores were a bit generous, but OK, except for the Alexis one.

9. arnie says:

Brilliant report, Shard and LB. 🙂 🙂 Not that much to quibble about, almost exactly how I saw the game. However, there is a relatively minor typo. The rating for Sanchez is upside down. 😛

The main difference between the first and the second half was Giroud. Whenever there was a cross, he was trying to find an empty spot in the box, drawing a bunch of defenders with him, most often 3, and that allowed our other good guys the opportunity to make gut-wrenching runs into places vacated within the box. This is how we got all our goals and I think made all our chances as well. 🙂

I remain confused.

As Micky says it is a positive to see Mr Wenger experiment with the formation which could transform our play BUT why do so away to a direct competitor? Much better to do so at home to Leicester next weekend.

One could say that OG was half-fit but so were Merts and Ozil.

What happened to Ox in the 2nd half? He has to force AW to start him and this is an important season for him – as important as it is for Wilshire. I expected more.

As to today’s football. How is it that Spurs start their season with such easy games? And for that matter MU have Swansea 🙂 , Sunderland, Burnley, QPR, Leicester and WHU !!

Clearly they want the Mancs to get confidence by beating the minnows in order to give them a better chance to get back into the Top 4. IMO it is a shitshow

11. Norfolk Gooner says:

If only we were at home to Leicester next weekend BR. Unfortunately the game is at The King Power Stadium, what happened to good old Filbert Street?

12. arnie says:

Raddy, my tuppence worth. 🙂

First, yes we were experimenting, erm I mean Arsene was experimenting, but with an eye towards the crucial midweek game. Self preservation was paramount. We now have a fully rested Kos and hopefully two half-game rested good guys upfront.

Giro is getting better, however is his injury serious? Jack is also improving, I think. By that I mean not dashing for the ground as fast as he has done recently. Plus some game time for the Ox and Campbell.

On the Ox, I agree. He will not get that many opportunities and he needs to force things. As GiE said, yesterday Debu had too much to do on the right, which means the Ox was not doing that much. Which also means the right place for Alexis for the moment is on the right.

13. arnie says:

A moment to savour for the Spuds from the swamps down there. TOTL. But for how long? 😛

14. arnie says:

off-topic. watched Janacek’s Sinfonietta with wifey yesterday at teh Edinburgh International Festival. Czech Philaharmonic. Superb. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Great contrast with the game before. 😛

etfaust. Please ask before putting up a link to your site.

As you were impolite about our writers your comment has been removed

16. arnie says:

Part of what we heard yesterday.

The military theme of the concert was a great fit with the fightback at Goodison earlier.

17. neamman says:

I thought the first 15 minutes were good but the next 30 a big disappointment. Sanchez is not a lone striker IMHO and I echo those who said he will benefit from Theos return. Better second half and I guess we don’t know our best side. One point.. who do we drop when Arteta is fit again? To be honest I think Flamini is the better DM.

Valuable point for Utd at Sunderland. Could look back on that at the end of the season as the one that clinched a Europa spot
    ROLF

Back in a while.
    Beware, I’m excited. Final week of transfers 🙂
    Bad news, I won’t be watching the CL game 😦

20. arnie says:

Neamman. I feel Alexis is a midfielder playmaker, and a really top one. He is not a stay in the box striker at all. He is capable of rushing into open spaces in the box and scoring. Like Rambo et al. for that matter.

Because we have so many such guys, we need someone to hold the ball in the box and pass it on to vacant spaces. So that the onrushing good guys can shoot. The best we have in this role is Giro. Maybe we can improve with a better signing of that nature, but I am not sure.

In my view, the problem we are having at the moment is that our MFs are not rushing into the box often enough. Maybe they are tired, maybe they are sprawled on the grass, may be they are too focussed on defensive duties.

Twopence over. 😛

21. arnie says:

Micky. I am envious that you are so excited. I am scraping the bottom of the barrel. 😛

arnie. I have been disappointed but nonetheless am excited by this season. We have yet to play more than 10 minutes Wengerball in a game and yet remain unbeaten.

Things will get better.

MU were rubbish this afternoon and fortunate to get a point. Mannone had a good game – what a shame he couldn’t have been our No.1 but sadly for him both Poles were better.

24. The Cockie Monster says:

Van Gaal in !.

25. arnie says:

Raddy. Excitement is infectious. 😛

Cockie. I support the “van Gaal in” movement. 🙂

Well done Shard and LB, nice summary from both.

My thoughts on the formation/system discussion are as follows:

There is not enough time on the training ground between matches to make fundamental changes to our playing style between games.

Therefore Giroud and Sanogo or Sanchez and Theo as centre forwards 1&2.

With Giroud/Sanogo we can play the give go’s and have a platform so 3/4 passes to get an opportunity.

With Sanchez/Theo we have to look for balls in behind and threaded passes. 1 pass for the opportunity but many cut out passes along the way.

In percentage terms we are more likely to face opposition that play deep and in number, therefore a battering ram would become a more useful.

Nice write up and ratings – thanks chaps.

I feel relatively happy. We haven’t hit our stride yet – or even come close – but we will. I’m expecting some big and surprising transfer news as well…

I think BR made the point yesterday, but that ref was the worst homer I’ve seen in a long time. He would blow for a foul against us every time the home fans howled, then – if they kept howling – he would belatedly fish out a yellow. Twunt.

I didn’t recognize him – is he new to the EPL?

Well done LB and shard and unfortunately didn’t see the game but just saw the highlights. I reserve judgement 🙂

29. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all, Back from a 24 hour fishing stint, first things first i thought, Watch the game first which is what i did. While fishing last night i kept an eye on Arsenal Arsenal on my phone, thank you for those who kept talking last night.

I was a little disappointed with being 2 nill down and reading between the lines of our bloggers, i got the impression that we were playing rough, My phone was low on charge so i tried to save the battery for the whole night, so i only checked every now and again.

Here’s me thinking we were getting our arse kicked, onlt to read a little later that we pulled it back for an away point. After watching the game, i realised that we wasn’t as bad as i was expecting, OK first half could have been better, but on the whole a very good Everton goal and one that should not have been allowed to stand, but thats football.

Second half with Arsene’s Changes i thought the worse, but that old Bugger done me again, standing on that touchline he was looking daggers at everybody and they knew he was, Players started to draw on their reserves and gradually Wenger looked a little saner. 2 well worked goals and a fair result at the end of the day.

Both Shard and LB accounts was along my lines of thinking so i commend both of you,

My observations from just seeing the highlights.

Szsney looked nervous or uncomfortable,maybe as the back 4 hadn’t played to gether before.

First goal,can’t blame Ozil in fact he needs to play further forward and not on the wing.

Mertesacker will always get done for pace and Kos wasn’t there to keep an eye on him.

Chambers again had a very solid game bar one mistake.

Ramsey might turn out to be the new DB10

It was an experiment that thankfully changed at half time.Sanchez ran his socks off,got stuck n,but had no real supply chain.

Debuchy looks a good buy.

Giroud would be an excellent second choice CF

Walcott when he returns IMO stas on the wing and when the chance presents itself to cut in, especially on a one on one
    We wouldn’t have liked to concede the goal Ramsey scored,though through a misplaced pass Monreal then centred well for Giroud to head a good goal.

Did we get out of jail or did Everton get tird,but a point is acceptable.

Rocky wasn’t it Kevin Friend? Put on a bit of weight, most often seen by me as Fourth Official, the Lino clearly getting a bit long in the tooth.

One thing that irked me most about yesterday was the pillock Shearer saying “that’s good strong centre forward play”. He always was a cheating front bottom.

The pedant in me says Chambers made two mistakes. The obvious diving in at Lukaku, can go down as youthful exuberance/naivety. The other was him being two yards behind the line for the first goal, whilst it wasn’t Lukaku who scored it could have been.

Delightful post, thank you very much Shard. I truly enjoyed reading your take on yesterday’s game. You made me laugh with Micky’s happiness and Ollie’s coiffed head 🙂 Very amuzing

Great player ratings too. Perhaps a tad too genersous given how average we looked for some 60 minutes, but hey we came back from the dead and that deserves a brownies point

And let’s remember – you don’t win the league in August. This is just a warmup for greater things to happen.

Who would accuse you of being a pedant GIE

😉

Nailed it, Shard and interesting ratings, LB.

The Arse away fans singing ‘you’re too fat to referee’ in the first half may have had some bearing on Kevin Friend’s decision to imitate a completely spineless wanker as the game progressed.

Shearer loves ‘strong forward play’ but used to dive like Ashley Young in budgie smugglers when he used to back in to centre backs. Always will be an arsehole.

Aside from the goals, my highlight of the game was Chambers tackle on Mirallas at 52 seconds in Arnie’s video. Sheer class.

chas 🙂 great photo

one for Micky – “Gunners want Toby Alderweireld”.

Never heard of him, therefore not expensive enough, Eddie 🙂

Is he a footballer?

Evening all.

Chas

He can’t be serious about joining Utd can he?

Can’t be that good then.

simple logic, ey DidIt 🙂

41. stevepalmer1 says:

At times you get your eyes opened, Here’s me thinking that because we have come into a few bob, I see Wenger spend what some people would class as Chicken feed for a 19 year old nobody. £16 million and i thought he had lost it. Here we were with Merts Kos and Vermin, and rumours rife that Vermin was looking for pastures new.

Then out of the blue, Wenger buys another Southampton youngster that most people had never heard of. What the Fcuk i thought, just getting into buying decent players with our sponsors help, and 16 mill is taken out of the kitty to buy an unknown bit of a kid.

I have to say that in all the time Wenger has been here, he has done some things that at the time, has made me shake my head, and this was no different. Personally i would have bent over backwards to keep Vermaelen as i felt his form only lapsed when Merts came. Ok he had an injury as well but what Arsenal player doesn’t.

Now i know many supporters believe their manager is either the wrong one, or is like sliced bread which you can’t do without. Thats how i see Wenger.

Wenger sniffs around and i must admit he does uncannily find some very good unheard of talent. Theo Ox and now Calum. Now i know a million is still a million, and for people like us its a fortune, But when you look at someone like Mesut at 42 mill Sanchez 30 odd it doesnt sound so bad.

Theo has taken a while to mature, he has also had his fair share of injuries and not short ones either, but hopefully after quite some time , Wengers first reaction to him will start to pay off when he is finally fit.

The Ox needs playing time, regular playing time and he also will be the player Wenger saw a few years ago. Young Calum has come in at a time when players have been short, so he has seen a bit of early action. Calum has shown in those games played that he is a very shrewed Arsene buy. Not forgetting Young Sanogo who cost us nothing, he is still a Wenger project, it may workout or maybe not but it hasn;t cost bundles to find out.

Calum has a long way to go, as Wenger rarely relies on such a youngster, but this young man has come in and we comment about him after a game, that he made one mistake. Yes one mistake, Mesut made that on his first pass.. Sorry just thinking out loud Just ignore me.

42. arnie says:

Absolutely agree, Chas and Steve. What a find this Calum fella is! 😛

43. stevepalmer1 says:

Hiya Arnie, you still travelling, or are you home safely

44. stevepalmer1 says:

Need some proper sleep, catch you all later’s Nte nte

45. arnie says:

back home safe and sound, Steve. 🙂

46. arnie says:

Some may disagree. But then Wenger is different, and Wengertalk is legendary! 😛

47. arnie says:

I read that if he was not fit on Weds, this is apparently the first time in his career. Can that be right?

Can’t be right Arnie….. Arsene only signs kids and crocks 🙂

Should say despite the two slips by Chambers i am very impressed in what he has done so far and as important as his contribution defensively has been his on pitch demeanour….he seems very calm and self assured, the way he has tackled senior pros, he seems calm under pressure in possession, and also vocal, yesterday he was pointing to a few players and demanding they were marked up and switched on, all very good.

And yesterday he injured Pienaar beyond repair in the first five minutes and it wasn’t even a foul….TA would be applauding that, Bouldie will be buying him a drink for it.

49. Solus says:

Great result, poor game. About Giroud, just to let you know, indeed it’s not a goal machine, but statistiscly his third season in his old club were the best he had (he enver played more than 4 seasons in a professionnal team) So indeed he won’t poach 30-ish goals in a season in EPL alone, but 25-27 goals all comps is enough for me as the team is built in a way that many players can get 10-15 goals a season.

Here’s another thing worth remembering:

Drogba
    Year apps goals

04/05 41 16
    05/06 41 16
    06/07 60 33
    07/08 32 15
    08/09 42 14
    09/10 44 37
    10/11 46 13
    11/12 35 13

Giroud

11/12 47 15
    12/13 51 22

So in all Drogba’s seasons at Chavs in only two did he have a much better goals per game record than Oli has had for us.

That’s total appearances if you look at Premier League only, Drogba scored less than 11 premier league goals (Girouds lowest) in 4 of the 8 seasons he played in it, in the other 4 he scored 11, 12, 20 and 29.

Girouds premier league returns so far have been 11 and 16.

You’re talking sense again, GIE………

We all know we need a 30 goal-a-season striker who only needs one chance to score.

Suddenly twitter has sniffed the possibility of Podolski leaving so now Lukas has become someone who has scored every chance he’s ever had.

58. Shard says:

Sorry wasn’t around yesterday. Had to go to a friend’s house to help him move.

Thank you to all that read and commented. But the comments have been surprisingly low in number. Not surprising because of the quality of the article, but because normally any time Arsenal drop points it’s time for DOOM!

I guess it’s a sign that most Arsenal fans are reasonably happy with the Everton draw.

59. Shard says:

GIE

I’d made the Drogba comparison for Giroud a few days ago as well. Not with the figures, but my general perception that when Drogba first came into the league at 25-26 years of age, he was nowhere near the finished striker that people seem to remember him as.

I said that I think Giroud is still improving even if he is already 27. Some disagreed with me but Arsene Wenger agrees. Couldn’t ask for more than that 🙂

Morning All

Shard. Just to let you know that your post-match attracted more hits than the last two games. Sometimes people just don’t want to comment but it is no reflection on the quality of the post

7.02. The first Dr. Who already looking like an old man!

62. fatgingergooner says:

In 3 competitive games so far we have held the lead for a total of about 4 minutes!!!!

You wouldn’t think we’d started the season with 3 decent results based on that, would you!?

Is it too much to ask to score first?

after seeing that Chamber video I won’t eat my breakfast and eat my words instead 😦 I cannot believe I said that £16mil for a 19 year old is too much. He is simply best buy. And his body language – he could be our captain one day

that reminded me of LB eating his wardrobe couple of years ago. That was funny. I noticed that he is not betting any more – did he eat it all or learnt not to gamble?

Fatie – don’t look at those stats, they are meaningless. What dot they really mean across 4 games?

64. fatgingergooner says:

That’s my point Eddie, stats don’t tell the whole story.

Chambo looks a real find, but let’s not order the statue just yet! 🙂

65. fatgingergooner says:

Giroud doesn’t have a problem scoring goals, it’s who he scores them against that’s the issue.

Hopefully the Everton goal will kick start a run of what we would class as ‘big’ goals.

sorry Faties, not fully awake yet:(

ah, we might as well get a statue now, just in case

67. Shard says:

Yes order the statue. If we don’t put it up outside the stadium, Eddie would be happy to put it up in her house as art titled ‘The Erection of Chambers’ with the other statues in the Chamber of erections. 😀

why are you being rude Shard 🙂 did you see Raddy’ comment @7:34? I agree, I think your report was very good. With LBs icing on the cake it was really tasty

just ‘got’ Chas’ Brighton Rock, I didn’t know that Richard Attenborough has died. Great guy, remortgaged his own house to film Gandhi. Sadly he supported a wrong club, for some reason he chose Chavs, strange

Morning all

Well at least I am not the only one who can be critical about the side 🙂

Drogba’s statics compared to Giroud look interesting but nearly every time we played Chelsea in a huge game he regularly tore us apart.
    If Giroud can do that, in other words score vital goals against the other contenders , on a regular basis, that would be a totally different scenario.

He has had a lot of bashing by many fans but now if he misses the CL second leg it is being said he would be a huge loss.

Don’t shoot me, but at this moment of time our general preparation and the same old story of initially having loads of possession only to fall behind to the first counter attack hasn’t changed,and we end up chasing the game.

I actually think the balance of the side is wrong being over crowded with small attacking midfielders but still not clinical enough in attack or organised in defence.

Not sure if it’s the system or that AW wants so many players to play out of their natural position.

So many are saying Theo will add another dimension when he returns,which he most probably will, but by then we will have played at least a dozen games.

On the positive side I am hoping after Wednsday AW will reinforce the squad in the appropriate positions.It’s not a given that we won’t concede ,0-0 is a precarious scoreline but in all honesty we should be too good for the Turks.

71. fatgingergooner says:

Lots of stories about midfielders in the press. Gustavo, Khedira, Rabiot etc

I actually think we will see a quiet end to the window, with only 1 defender coming in, and maybe a couple going out.

I hope for more though.

Just sorting the post ……….. back in a bit.

Anyone got gorgeous weather? It’s pouring here in North London 😦

73. Sami Khedira – that’s cheery news 😀

74. We have a New Post …………………….

75. perennials that bloom all summer