Mesut to the Rescue

For a fanatical gooner this has been a difficult week. The results were acceptable but there has been disappointment in the manner of our play. And yet ….. today our Germans return.

Mr Wenger has stated that not all will play and I think he means Podolski. We miss a spark, we are too predictable, too slow on the counter as the final ball is ill-conceived. We need a will o’ the wisp and thankfully we have one.

By now you will have realised that I am putting my faith in our World Cup winner and most expensive signing. He must be rested, having spent the last few weeks bobbing about on a luxury yacht (or whatever young mega-rich chaps do). Am I being foolhardy to trust in Ozil? Can he step up to become the player around whom our forward line play? Is he as good as his reputation? This season will tell. Ozil must be hugely confident at present and desperate to get out on the pitch to enthral us and against Everton he will hopefully find the space to enjoy himself.

Everton gave us a lesson at Goodison last season and they were very good at The Emirates. They have maintained their squad and bought Lukaku (who could have foreseen Everton spending £28m on a player?). The long-term injury to Ross Barkley must have been a blow to Martinez –  though Naismith is a decent replacement he is hardly of the same quality.

We know what to expect from a Martinez team, a commitment to hard work in midfield and to attack. He has the players and in Lukaku a player to ruin Monreal’s day as he did when Martinez played him on the left last season. However, I believe that a defence of Distin and Jagielka is vulnerable to pace and ingenuity.

images

It is a shame Arteta will not play today, he retains much respect at Goodison where he spent so much of his career. We are ham-strung by ham-strings. Gibbs, Myachi and Sanogo are all out but otherwise we have a strong squad.

The most exciting thing about today will be to finally see how Sanchez can play with Ozil, and how Ramsey fits into this triumvirate of genius. Once Theo returns and possibly takes the central role he craves, we will be Kushti. Mark my word …. Kushti.

There is always the possibility that Mr Wenger will rest Sanchez who has played our last 3 games and could use a rest. I hope not but should he do so it opens the way for Rosicky.

It is a shame for young Chambers that he will be riding the pine for the foreseeable future (or until one of our CB’s gets crocked). I flag this up to herald the return of one of my very favourite players the BFG. I was delighted when Mertesacker signed a 2 year extension to his contract because this bloke is the fulcrum of the team. He may not be the best CB in the world but he is one of the best in the Premiership and his partnership with Koscielny is outstanding. Welcome back Big Man.

My Team;

Football Pitch 4

Hopefully Mr Wenger will be on better form than in Turkey where, in my opinion, he did not pick the best team nor react fast enough to enforce a win. We have such a strong bench that he can afford to tinker. Joel Campbell could well start on the left, it must be time to test him but I expect Joel to get his first appearance at the Emirates.

We have not beaten Everton for 4 games which is the longest run against any PL team (according to The Independent!) and to be honest I can see the run continuing. Everton played well but were held to draw at Leicester and will be looking to start their home campaign with a win over a direct rival. Martinez says the Top 4 is his target and one Everton could have achieved after the 3-0 win at Goodison had the Arsenal not won their last 5 games whilst the Toffees fell apart to finish 7 points behind.

An interesting game against one of my favourite opponents, I would take a point but prefer three 😀

As no-one (meaning Big Raddy) has come up with an interesting theme for the season (physicists was mooted but I know sweet FA about the sciences) I leave you with a picture of The Man…..

images-1

Written by Big Raddy

109 Responses to Mesut to the Rescue

Cheers, BR.

I honestly thought that Everton had beaten Leicester last week. What a pleasant surprise to find out they only got a point. 🙂
    (This just goes to show how much notice I take of the other teams’ results)

Who will play is very interesting, but I think the secret to us getting a result today will be matching Everton’s drive and work rate.

I suggested physicists because I thought you’d enjoy researching them. Surely you didn’t know about all of the explorers last season?

How about artists, then?

Or would that just be a load of old Pollocks. 🙂

Guided tour of Copenhagen?

3. Hi Big Raddy
    You say…”However, I believe that a defence of Distin and Jagielka is vulnerable to pace and ingenuity.”

If Mertesacker is back, and Monreal replacing Gibbs, your comment won’t also apply (re: pace) to us, then?
    That minor niggle aside, good pre-match as always.

Thanks Raddy

I don’t think AW will tinker much.Flamini for Arteta and hopefully he doesn’t get booked.

I don’t think Ozil will play but would like to see The Ox start.

Podolski didn’t travel.Surely he can’t be exhausted and after the last game the boss said the team were fatigued.What was all that about.

He will have one eye on the CL second leg and Kos was only just passed fit for the first leg, and it’s unbelievable how many injuries we already have.

Monreal will be targeted so who will cover him.My heart says a draw would be good but it will be a hard match to win unless the whole team are really up for it.

Campbell and Sanogo on the bench are our only attacking options if we are chasing the game

kelsey
    So Mesut will be on the bench but is not an attacking option?

Isn’t that Sanogo stood behind Jack?

Crystals

I bet you’d look good in one of these Crystals outfits. 🙂

8. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning all, another good ’un BR, well done.

A tough game this evening, but aren’t they all at the moment?

I still haven’t worked out what Wenger was saying yesterday about the three Germans, so I’ve no idea if he will play any of them, Id like to see Mertesacker start as he needs a game before the CL second leg.

Ramsey can play the full ninety minutes, he’ll get a rest on Wednesday courtesy of his red card against Besiktas.

Alexis to be rested in favour of Oxlade-Chamberlain who can give us a bit of pace on the right.

Chambers on the bench, but if we’re a goal up with fifteen minutes to go he could come on to shore up the mid-field.

As I said at the top, a tough game…..but winnable!!

Chas, they’re a selection of Kelsey’s harem. Why do you think his hair turned grey at such a young age. 😀

Kushti 🙂 I haven’t heard this word for a long time, love it 🙂

Surprised you don’t rate Naismith highly, I think he is a dangerous player.

Bees need attending, COYRRG

Nice one Raddish, and makes me even more keen to see the game this evening, if that is possible.

If AW had decided to call it a day in the summer, I would not have been unhappy if Martinez had replaced him.

11. Thanks for the pre match Big Randy and you are right to be worried, especially about our vulnerability on the left flank.

I saw something on the web about Lukaku being doubtful for today’s game, if so Nacho man will breathe a huge sigh of relief.

Tactical bollix I would really like Wenger to do something to surprise the opposition be it team selection or formation – just anything to make Martinez say “Wow, I wasn’t expecting that”. One of my criticisms of Wenger is his predictability and hence the opposition know exactly what to expect to our detriment.

As for themes for pre matches in view of yesterday’s discussions how about Mad Mullahs on Matchday?

But we all know these guys can take a joke ! 😃

Chas,

Your suggestion that Raddy should give us a pre-match diet of pollocks seemed a little fishy, so I doff my hat to you for knowing the work of the late Jackson. Chapeau!! 🙂

Thanks for the pre-match BR

I am with Kelsey, in as much that I don’t think Wenger will change the team that much. Ironically, I would have picked Flamini ahead of Arteta today regardless of the Spaniard’s fitness.

Wilshere and Ramsey in front are the best option we have; Wlishere does offer some defence and Ramsey can always get us a goal.

Cazorla has started poorly by his standards but I still think he will start today.

Giroud has defensive skills which will be useful today and therefore make him the better choice than Sanogo.

Sanchez has to play and rightly so.

The big question is: will Wenger swap Chambers for Mertasacker, common sense says yes but the BFG is not match fit yet. Big gamble this one but I think Wenger will bring back Per.

So this is my punt at Wenger’s team.

—————–Szczesny

Debuchy—BFG———-Koscielny——–Monreal

—Ramsey——Flamini—–Wilshere

——Sanchez–Giroud—Cazorla

LB – NO! we have been waiting for Sanchez-Ozil duet for weeks now and it is time to unleash our deadly force tonight

Chambers will probably start, that’s Wenger’s way. Personally I think we would benefit from top line up from the start, as we are often slow at the start and an early goal against could be devastating. Per should definitely return to the squad as soon as

Nice and quiet on the site which must mean the bloggers are confident.

I just slept through AV vs Newcastle – imagine having to watch that rubbish week after week.

16. Norfolk Gooner says:

BR, you should have watched The Game of the Day, the East Anglian Derby Ipswich vs Norwich, you would have seen some decent football, at least from The Canaries.

You can just hear the voice of the late, great James Alexander Gordon reading the result Ipswich nil Norwich City one.

That’s funny

LB — NO

18. Afternoon all

Apologies from Rasp again about the pitch layout, something to do with the programme he used to use not working now.

And apologies from me as I couldn’t change the banner this morning but I’m going to try now.

Also kelsey is not going to be around to write anything about the game for tomorrow, so would all my other recruits be on standby please. Obviously if its amazing everyone will be rushing to write about it 😉

19. Someone got to the banner before me lol

20. Spud supporting brother just texted me from New York that Cesc in blue doesn’t look right. I told him we’re over it, we had a group hug on the blog and we’re all going to be fine.

Like the team and great that Ox gets a start.

Be interesting to see how Chambers copes against a top team. Well, i hope.

Most surprisingly ……. No Giroud!

Wow wow wow

Driving back from beach and heard team news

Never been so pleased Raddy was wrong.

Sanchez, Ox, Mesut, Rambo, …I mean Hello to great football.

Quick shower. Thanks Raddy, will read properly asap

Team in full: Szczesny, Debuchy, Mertesacker, Chambers, Monreal, Flamini, Ramsey, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ozil, Alexis

Subs: Martinez, Bellerin, Koscielny, Rosicky, Campbell, Cazorla, Giroud

Looks like the new system that someone has been banging on about is starting slightly earlier than he who was banging on about it expected.

This is going to be good

Unleash hell boys.

COYRRG

25. fatgingergooner says:

So Sanchez, Özil, Ox up front! Happy days.

Hope they click because Everton are a good side these days.

Leeds Rhinos have done the business, just need Arsenal to do the same.

26. fatgingergooner says:

Need to be wary of Lukaku putting himself on one of our full backs again. Worked well for them last season.

So excited

Off to find a crap stream on wiziwig I guess 😦

Come on you rip roaring beautiful Gunnnnnners

No panic

30. Rhyle says:

I come seeking refuge from the crazies on Twitter. Hell…the crazies everywhere…

Not good so far from the sounds of things?

31. fatgingergooner says:

Difficult to score the perfect goal when you’re struggling to make a 5 yard pass.

Sort it out boys.

I do like the idea of having Sanchez up top and no Giroud though, but it needs a lot of work.

32. fatgingergooner says:

Suicidal play.

33. fatgingergooner says:

Everton not even been stretched for that 2-0 lead. We just have it to them. Piss poor and not good enough.

Leeds Rhinos could play more cohesive football than the team playing in yellow and blue.

35. Oh no chaps, this is not a good start.

Evertons second goal was definitely off-side and Lukaku was lucky to get away with that challenge on Per 😦

Ok, defensive side of things shocking, but still like the attacking line up, just needs time to gel.

Oh well, there goes the gelling time. Ollie on for Sanchez 😦

38. dn says:

Agreed LB.

It’s unhealthy to stay awake past midnight watching this kind of display.

39. Block 007 says:

Wenger does it again! How can you take Sanchez off and leave ozil on…embarrassing decision I’m afraid

40. Adrian says:

What am I watching

41. fatgingergooner says:

No substance in our play.

42. fatgingergooner says:

It’s like pass-by-numbers. There’s no imagination.

43. Adrian says:

Get more bodies in the box ffs. Trailing 0-2 and the team still insists on playing those one touch flicks on the edge of Everton’s box. It clearly isn’t working, time to get more direct. Not everyday you can score a goal like Wilshere’s against Norwich, if it doesn’t work its time to change tactics. 65 minutes and not a single shot on target yet.

44. Adrian says:

Bring Campbell on for wilshere maybe and play 4-4-2.

45. fatgingergooner says:

Could actually be 3-2 up if we had a finisher. Difference between a world class striker and what we currently have.

46. Block 007 says:

Get rosiky on add some spark

47. Block 007 says:

Is there something in ozils contract that states he can never be substituted ?

The anticipator has struck! Good on you Rambo.

49. Block 007 says:

Great header

50. fatgingergooner says:

Fair play lads, and well done Wenger because it was Cazorla and Giroud that changed the game.

A point earned, not 2 lost.

51. Adrian says:

Everton did us a favour by sitting back way too much in the second half. All things considered, I guess it is a decent point earned. But we’re a far way from being a title challenger if we continue to perform like this against the top sides, no cohesion or hunger whatsoever until maybe the last 15 minutes.

Fair play to Giroud who did make a difference when coming on, shows what a good option he is to have on the bench. Still not convinced he’s good enough to be the main striker for us but he’s a great player to bring on whenever we’re trailing. Thought I must admit the decision to sub Sanchez off was very dodgy by Wenger.

Didn’t really help us that the assistant referee needed new glasses, but don’t be fooled. Carry on with performances like this in away games against the top sides and we will easily see a repeat of last years thrashings.

Very leisurely away point 🙂

My point has been proven. Ollie is a great Plan B 🙂

I’m happy. Very pleased to Arsene experimenting up top. Also good to Joel come on, although our stream kept breaking down, so saw a very broken second half

Ant ‘n Duck will have enjoyed their day out

54. Adrian says:

I don’t know if its just me, and this might be an unpopular opinion, but I feel that somehow Wilshere’s peach of a goal against Norwich last season has dictated the way we play ever since. We seem to insist on playing those one touch flicks on the edge of the opponent’s box every single chance we get regardless of the scoreline or who we’re playing against. Of course it’s amazing to watch when it comes through but more often than not it doesn’t. Yet we somehow insist on trying again and again regardless of whether we’re losing. I’d like to see us be more direct at times as seen in the dying stages in the second half. Players like Ozil should also be encouraged to take more shots from outside the box like the Ox.

Hopefully we’ll see more cohesion and desire in the players in the next game, fitness should no longer be an excuse 3 weeks into the season.

Do we think, in away games especially, and when like today we play Sanchez, Oxil and Ox ahead of Aaron, that maybe a more solid defensive duo of Arteta and Flamini would stiffen things up?

There second goal was offside — we won that 1 : 2

Bastard linesman – again!

Adrian

I think the cohesion will come pretty quickly.

At the back, CB partnerships take a long time, and we’ve seen Chambers alongside Mert and Kos already. Up top, again, we’ve now started with three different central strikers in as many games. Throw in the returning Oxil and a first start for Ox, and the lack of cohesion is understandable.

I think all looks good.

RA
    The last linesman got sent to Papua New Guinea and was eaten by cannibals. Fact.

“Oxil”
    Mmmm, interesting concept 🙂

Giro’s header is the sort of thing we would miss if he is replaced by a small Sanchez type player.

He does have his limitations, but Sanchez would be great on the wing, but as a CF he is as ineffective as your man Theo.

Alexis on the right and Theo on the left with the Giro in the middle — and caramba they would make good music!! (and score goals too) 🙂

Don’t agree RA 🙂

I think either Sanchez or Theo would make great CF’s, in the same way Pool had Suarez and scored 100 goals.

Ollie is a great Plan B, but I loved the idea of our new Plan A. Get Theo into the mix and it would be sweet sweet music 🙂

Headers are sooo passe 🙂

Ok so my thoughts, Debuchy would had had much better protection had Alwxis played right wing.

Where was Ox playing? As guilty of wandering off the wing as Santi.

Giroud is not a plan B he is a plan A. He moves defenders around and provides a platform that absolutely no one else in the team does.

Although we started well we couldn’t thread balls through to the men that count, and they were still drifting all over.

Alexia would have done a better job on Coleman than Ozil.

Again I look at Martinez and say yes please, in two or three years time.

He is the man to continue Arsene’s work, mainly because his style but also because he knows the PL inside out.

“Giroud is not a plan B he is a plan A”

Try telling Arsene that to his face 🙂

Seriously, he must be thinking differently as today’s line up shows. Now maybe he simply doesn’t think Ollie is sharp enough to start at the moment, but he clearly stated that Sanchez would play on the right until Theo returns, then central.

Anyway, all good options, although I certainly agree about the excessive “drift”

65. aizedlittlemozart says:

Giroud is the man! EnD of!

66. aizedlittlemozart says:

couldn’t see the game, met it at 84mins, few more minutes & then BANG!!! OG12 equalises

67. fatgingergooner says:

Giroud is a plan B plan A, if that makes any sense.

We need a focal point to our attack, but bids for players like Suarez and Higuain suggest Wenger is always on the lookout for an upgrade to the Frenchman.

FGG

84 mins! Well if you would be so kind as to rock up a little earlier in future, we may secure all three points 🙂

69. fatgingergooner says:

The highlights will show that we could’ve won that game quite easily had we put our chances away second half. Shame.

Still a great point though and one that keeps our momentum going. All we are missing at the moment is our new players to gel with the rest of the squad. Wenger wouldn’t have expected 3 of his new signings to be first choice at this stage of the season and it’s bound to effect our play.

The quicker we get everyone settled and fit, the quicker we will start blowing teams away. If this team hits it’s stride it has scary potential. We will be seeing it soon enough.

Quite right FGG

And on that positive note, it’s goodnight from me.

I am surprised no-one has mentioned the referee who IMO had an awful game. One of the worst homer’s I have seen in many a year.

Our boys get a kicking from that animal Naismith and yet we pick up card after card for eff all. How many times did one of our players get fouled without the idiot ref noticing and yet when one of their chimps fell over it was an immediate yellow. JW and Flamini deserved theirs for trying to give some retribution but the others???

Their second goal was a comedy of errors from both ref and linesman. Lukaku clearly pushed BFG in the back and had it been the other way round BFG would have been carded. And it was offside – a call missed by a lino who wasn’t even in line with play.

Crap. Crap Crap. Even the mild mannered Mr Wenger almost blew a fuse with the ineptitude and clear bias.

Other than that I am happy with a point and will write more tomorrow when I calm down …..

72. Shard says:

Damn right Raddy.

But I cannot be angry today, only mildly annoyed.

We played away at Everton. In the middle of a tie to qualify for the CL. Had Alexis start his first game in the middle. Had Chambers and BFG play together for the first time. No Arteta. No Gibbs. Played like crap in the first half. Had the referee give everything Everton’s way including a goal that should not have been right at the stroke of half time. Yet, we came away with a point.

I love this team!

73. Bayonne Jean says:

Smash and grab, that…..

Adrian, agree with you completely. When the goal went in against Norwich, felt that it was one of the worst things that can happen, as it becomes the rule rather than the exception, and dominates the way you go about attacking, and rules out every other approach.

As to those who claim that the Arsenal would have won 1-2 had the second Everton score been ruled offside: don’t think so — Toffees would have played a more resolute defense with a one goal lead, and may have nicked a goal or two on counters. The inadvertent Arsenal “rope a dope” comeback probably wouldn’t have happened.

I am struggling to think of what to write for a match report.

Anyone fancy stepping forward.

There at least three really good summaries up there already.

Shard

That is a really good angle, fancy expanding on it?

75. Shard says:

Bayonne Jean

Next time Arsenal get an offside goal (hahahaha) to increase the lead, will you say it made it easier for the other team?

I’m being facetious, but I know what you are saying. It doesn’t work like that indeed. And yet, whatever the result might have been, Arsenal were punished by Everton scoring a goal that should not have stood.

If anything Everton would not have defended as much as they did if they had only a one goal lead. Sure, maybe that let us get enough of the ball to find our feet. But we still had to score 2 goals to only get a draw instead of 1. I’d rather be 1 goal down than 2. Rope-a-dope be damned.

76. Shard says:

LB

Since when did you join the recruiters on this site? 😛

Since

Here’s is a question: who was the forth person to be invited onto this site and yes, I said invited?

There is a lot you don’t know about me, this site, and what happened before it even came into existence.

Moving on,

It looks like I am going to owe you an apology. I said that Chambers would play about the same amount of games as Jenkinson did last season, that now looks like it is going to be way off.

I thought the young man was the stand out player over 90 minutes.

78. Shard says:

Ok.. So it appears I am to be intimidated into submitting a match report.

But I also receive an apology (?) over the playing time of Chambers.

Do you watch a lot of American cop drama. Mr Bad cop, Good cop? 😛

One last question. Do I appear sane enough to you to attempt a match report right now? 🙂

79. Shard says:

BTW.. I am on it.

Shard

You are a star.

I am with Shard on refs in general, so much so that last week I was waiting for the ref to disallow Rambo’s winner.

Ramsey/Jack combo not working yet. Could we have a StevieG/FatFrank issue on our hands?

Shard

I have written some player ratings if that might help, if you have done your own, no probs or equally if you just want what you have written just say.

83. Shard says:

LB

I might be the star but you’re the boss. Do as you like. It is now 4 am here and I am just about to send it in before I pack it in. 🙂

84. Shard says:

GIE

I was genuinely expecting that as well. Thankfully the right decision was made, which is all I want.

As for Jack and Aaron. I think they will learn to play together in this formation (not the 4-2-3-1). As the rest of the team gets more settled, so will they.

85. Shard says:

sent to Arsenal nuts

Goodnight folks. Might not be around tomorrow for very long. So you can save the brickbats for later.

86. arnie says:

Raddy, great curtain-raiser as ever. 🙂 Sorry, Knot Ear all day. Great discussions as well.

Just two observations. First, agree with GiE that Alexis on the right wing would have been a better option today. He may yet turn out to be good striker for us, but for the moment he looks to me to be a playmaker.

Second, agree with FGG that Giro is our best Plan B Plan A.

One point gained, important game mid week. onwards and upwards!

Back tomorrow (I mean later today) to read the Shard-LB combo. 🙂 🙂 🙂

87. arnie says:

LB. Dont remember where I saw this, but apparently Arsene has promised Chambers at least 20 starts. What a star! 🙂

Where was Monreal today? Which makes me think: Debu BFG Kos Chambo may not be bad at the back. Still crying for a strong DM, IMO.

Was Campbell playing largely on the right, or are my eyes playing tricks. Interesting!

Three kilos heavier AND hung over. Ouch 🙂

89. aizedlittlemozart says:

had a wager with myself that this comment that just came in would be from didit, and it was, a heavier didit at that 🙂
    so i’m 100 bucks richer, or poorer, depending on which one of me won/lost 🙂

I’ve noted the post discussions and will get Shard’s into drafts.

I went to the Proms last night so only heard us scoring on the radio. Shame we couldn’t get a third 😉

Had a great day out in Ken Dodd land.
    Superb result on the end of a fairly mediocre performance turned it into a huge boost for morale all round.

Have to agree with all those slagging the ref, he was simply appalling. Four bookings for us and one for them – we are such a filthy team.

BR made the comment about the lino not being in line with play. From where he was he would always make the wrong decision. He needs another lesson on lining up with the last defender. Simply shocking.

The Glasgow section of the Arsenal supporters club behind us were very poor. One even spent a lot of the 2nd half sat down with his head in his hands. What kind of shite is that?

Giroud made such a massive difference when he came on. A focal point for the attack was so desperately needed. All credit to him after the abuse he gets.

Anyway must go and work off the pork tongue, liver sausage, tomato and Jarlsberg tiger rolls, jumbo sausage roll, cherry scones with honey, half a family-sized back of chili and sour cream flavoured kettle chips and three kit kats. Oops nearly forgot the 3 pints of various ubiquitous alcholic drinks and large can of Stella road beer.
    Luckily no hangover! 🙂

I think the packed lunch soaked it up!

Just a pint of Carlsberg, followed by a coq au vin and a couple of glasses of Sauvignon blanc for me. (just polishing my halo!)

What has Micky eaten to put on 3 kilos? Must have been tasty.

chas. I am still shocked by the refereeing. Ruined the game.

Will talk about the game after the post goes up (why the hell am I awake so early on a sunday??)

My “three kilo” comment was aimed at Chas.

He lies when adding a tomato into his diet.

Morning Raddish,

My weight goes up and down a lot – oh well.

The game grew on me with calm reflection. And you are right – the referee was rubbish.

Early? It’s 8 : 40 over there. Lazy bugger. 🙂

Micky has been up since 4 a.m. – must have a guilty conscience!

RA

I’ve spent two hours on the internet looking for more expensive surfboards and fins in the hope that better machinery will make me a better surfer 🙂

Also, I’ve done my match analysis yesterday. All is good, with a bit of gel!

BTW. If you want to see evidence of anti- Arsenal media bias look at today’s newspapers.

Hardly one mentions that Everton’s goal was offside. Nor that we dominated possession, nor that Everton had two shot on target the whole game, nor that the referee was a lemon.

Apparently we were lucky and got an undeserved point.

98. Post sorted, thank you LB for your sterling work in strong arming Shard to write a report.

Anyone got any ideas for a snappy title?

99. Shard says:

Raddy

Guardian – “Arsenal protested with some justification that Naismith might have been fractionally offside when Lukaku released the ball, but it was a technicality missed by most people in the ground, including the officials. It would almost have been a travesty had the goal been chalked off, an undeserved reprieve for a defence who had demonstrably been torn to shreds.”

Independent – “an Everton goal that COULD (emphasis mine) have been disallowed for offside” “those Arsenal fans who remained in the Bullens Road Stand chanting that Everton had squandered a two-goal lead – or words to that effect – would probably have been the same ones who had spent season after barren season demanding that Wenger spend some of Arsenal’s vast financial reserves.”

BBC headline- New faces, old problems for Arsenal.

I must admit that yesterday’s result was partially my fault. I thought that my new granddaughter will be our lucky charm and sat down to watch the game with her. I was wrong, we only scored when she went to bed. I am not going to take her to the Ems in a hurry 🙂

I think a game should start in the 80th minute

Peaches

Just avoid puns on toffees 🙂

I didn’t read all the comments, sorry if I am repeating a view which is that the team looked disjointed, not like a unit. There were 3 brand new players on the pitch and it showed, we need time to gel. There are players like Wayne for example who know instinctively, without looking around who is where. Others have to practice and learn where their team mates are.

I also get an impression that we are too ‘stretched’, huge distances between players. Everton looked much more compact

I agree with GiE about Martinez – natural replacement for Wenger in a couple of years. No other candidate comes even close

On TalkSport radio they were saying that Arsenal has very poor away form against serious contenders and we have not won in such fixtures for over 2 seasons. I was delighted to hear that – they are not treating Totts as serious 🙂

Another news that attracted my attention was about another ManU academy graduate being sold. I have always had my doubts about those academies – yeah, you can get lucky and have a gem like Szczesny or Jack, but really – how many are at the academy (at a huge cost to the club) and we never hear of them?

on a lighter note – why are the media not saying is Sir Cliff allegedly assaulted a man or a woman 🙂

106. New Post everyone …….

Eddie – not so this grandma …….. we’re taking her as soon as we can 😉