Never mind the media bias – We laid down a Marker

If you support Arsenal then we emphatically beat the current Premier league holders, if not it was just a training session or to some yet another pre season friendly.

All I kept hearing was that City had so many players missing including Lampard, of all people, and Sagna. If Debuchy could play then so could Sagna. Of course the small matter of our three World Cup winners not even back in training was hardly mentioned.

I think Arsène Wenger summed it up pretty well.

“To win the Community Shield gives us a positive platform to prepare, but now the Premier League starts and we have to start well,” he said.

“We know that last season we were very consistent against the teams outside the top six and not consistent against the top six teams. The year before it was reversed, so let’s hope that this year it will be right on both sides.”

Three excellent goals from Cazorla,Ramsey and Giroud and promising displays by so many it would be hard to pick a man of the match. Chambers yet again showed his maturity for one so young, Debuchy had a solid game, Santi seemed to have recovered his form, Sanogo though not perfect caused havoc in City’s defence and with a little more composure will become a good asset for the squad. Alexis will ooze class and I for one can’t wait to see him, Ozil and Ramsey play together.

I could mention every player who all contributed to playing as a team and for the best part of an hour we bossed the game and even after several substitutes by both teams the result was never in doubt.

Wenger now has the pleasant headache as to who leave out and for the majority of players to think they are an automatic choice to start, they might just have to think again. Competition is healthy.

Confidence and an eagerness to perform well was the key to this result and this should bode us well.

With Vermaelen gone I expect another signing and if we can drop down the injury league table we have a fine chance of winning the League.

All in all a more than satisfactory performance and for all the statisticians out there, when did we last win a Final at Wembley by three clear goals.

kelsey

114 Responses to Never mind the media bias – We laid down a Marker

1. Jay says:

Laid not Layed!

Quite right 🙂

2. Mjc says:

98/99 Charity Shield vs Man Utd 3-0

3. VCC says:

Nice one Kelsey. We sure did lay down a marker.

To every Gooner, we played well, and encouraged with our drive and professionalism.

To all non Gooners “It was only a friendly”

Never a friendly between these two teams, especially being played at Wembley. If the boot was on the other foot I can imagine how the media would have slated us. But, hey ho, we are THE Arsenal and used to it.

Looking forward to the week end and the coming season.

COYG

4. RC78 says:

Complete performance as Wenger said. I was happy for Sanogo as he really put in a good performance despite the lack of goal. Chambers was a good surprise and so was…Wilshere in the first half. Other than that, we need more games and having Walcott back up front is going to be great…

I d love to see Wenger land Bender or Khedira + Agger as well before the end of the transfer window.

We have lots of options right now in terms of offensive style (Ozil – Walcott, Giroud, Sanchez or Ozil – Sanchez, Walcott, Cazorla…) I like it given the fact that we also have Ox, Poldi, Campbell and Sanogo on the bench…

Let us get this midfielder enforcer and the back-up defender and we are ready to roar!

5. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning all, well done Kelsey you’ve summed it up quite nicely.

One big difference between the teams was attitude, we wanted it, they seemed less enthusiastic. A case in point was the slovenly performance of Ya Ya Toure who was so dominated in midfield, by Jack Wilshere, that he had to be subbed at half time.

It seems, from Wenger’s recent comments, that signing a centre-back could prove problematic. There don’t appear to be that many of sufficient quality around. So it could well be that Nacho Monreal is seen as a stand in alongside Callum Chambers.

Were the Arsenal fans “stupid” to boo Na$ri? Or was the ex-French International “stupid” to raise the issue in the first place?

6. goonads says:

maturity not majority!

Look sunshine, we needed a post.It was written quickly and no one on hand to check it.

mjc – nay, it was yesterday 🙂

Good post Kelsey, cheers! Did city actually say that they were missing Lampard from their squad?? That’s hillarious

9. Manthan says:

Good Read Kelsey, Thanks for the post.. It was a very good win i am quite surprised by Chambers performance he is star in making kudos to Wenger for spotting such talent time and time again… Even tough it was not a PL game but i am quite happy to see team performing well and that will give us a good boost ahead of new season.. Koss is down with injury any idea about severity? Because BFG will not play first game and if koss is injured then wenger might start season with Nacho and chambers as CB..

10. Kelsey

Good post for a pensioner 🙂

It was a very good performance yesterday… I’ve got no criticisms. Worrying though that Kos may be injured. Shows that although we have strengthened in certain areas, we are still short at the back. Chambers as good as he has proved himself over the last two games, shouldn’t be in the position of being backup to Kos or the BFG. Another CB is essential………

11. fatgingergooner says:

Two of the most important factors in football are confidence and momentum, and winning yesterday means we carry both into the opening game v Palace. So on that note, it was an important victory.

We still have a couple of gaps to fill before the new season. I reckon we will see a new CB, but with Arteta now captain, I’m not sure we will see a new HM just yet. I think Gnabry will probably be sent out on loan too.

It will be interesting to see how many games Campbell and Sanogo get this season, and how Wenger gets them into the team. Campbell’s contract only runs until 2016 so he needs to make sure he’s getting games to keep him at the club.

12. Mjc says:

Except yesterday doesn’t count – according to the papers….

Kelsey

Just checking your spelling 🙂

14. Good post Kelsey.

Although only a ‘friendly’ the team put quite a lot of effort in.
    Matching the players’ effort is our very own Norfolk Gooner, who’s 10.08 post is surely his own all-time record to date!

Bad news for ROCKYLIVES should he show up to read this… Djourou’s loan to Hamburg is now officially permanent.

Not happy about the spelling of goonads

I missed the spelling class. Did Chambers show his majority – the filthy hound!

Well done with the post, kelsey.
    Even though it was only a pre-season friendly, it’s still nice to win those. Especially if you get a big shiny disc to lob about afterwards. 🙂

Apparently Talkshite said that the oilers were missing Yaya Toure. Hahahaha.

goonads only comments about Arsenal bollocks

Shame we still don’t play for the Sheriff of Nottingham shield. 🙂

19. Shard says:

Thank you for the report kelsey.

A fun game and fun result, and try as they might, the media can’t paint away the fact that Arsenal were the better team and look more ready for the season ahead.

I found it interesting that we played a slightly different formation. I didn’t notice it immediately, but a few times it felt like players weren’t where I would have expected them to be and then I realised that we played more of a 4-1-4-1 than a 4-2-3-1. Both Wilshere and Ramsey were playing slightly in front of Arteta (who I thought played really well), and the way we pressed the ball early was good to see. If we can get our squad healthy and get the rotations right, we could put most teams under a lot of pressure with that sort of press.

Regarding signings. Wenger seemed to suggest that a player who can play 2 or 3 positions might be the target rather than a CB. Maybe he intends to buy a DM/CB like Carvalho or Gonalons (were did that rumour go?) rather than a CB because he still sees a future for Ignasi Miquel. If not, a new link today is with Olympiakos’ Manolas. That would be a good signing. Whenever I’ve seen them play, Manolas has looked a good defender to me. He’s still young as well at 23 years of age.

Hi Crystals

Well I think it’s an excellent write up, so a polite thank you from me.

Big line this one: “if we can drop down the injury league table we have a fine chance of winning the League”

Some of us commented on the strength of our bench yesterday, and that was true, but Diaby aside, it really is only Theo out at the moment. Last season was damaged not so much by the quantity of long term injuries, rather that we had our two most irreplaceably dynamic duo out (Aaron and Theo).

We will, like everyone else, get injuries, but the addition of Sanchez, together with what I see as a revitalized Santi, and a Mesut in his second PL season, should see us far better equipped.

Well, summed up Kelsey.

Hey Goonads you should know that as your moniker is a noun it should start with a capital letter.

Where is RA when you need him, he would put a few of these in their places. lol

Ha ha Chas
    I thought it would be that Hubby was too preoccupied over the lack of a quality DM 🙂

23. 26may1989 says:

Quick bit of AA from hols….

Well done kelsey, great write up – from the patchy stream on which I watched the match yesterday, your assessment looks exactly right.

Big couple of weeks coming up, with the Arsènal v Crystal Pulis opener, then Besiktas away, Everton away, Besiktas at home and Leicester at home. Our German WC players may not be available straight away of course, and Theo too, but we are more than capable of getting through the CL and getting 7 or 9 PL points. Wenger said Kos is fine, so no worries there. Wouldn’t be surprised if Merts was brought in early. Whether he or young Chambers plays against Palace, we can expect a physical test at central defence.

Yesterday was good but even an uninterested City side opened up our defence a few times. How Nasri contrived not to score is a mystery, and Szczesny made a couple of very good saves, so we can’t afford complacency about having got a clean sheet. Palace will provide a more determined attacking threat, even if less talented.

As RC78 said, with Arteta appointed captain, I think the chances of a starting XI DM/CM being signed are now close to zero. We might worry about that but we might as well get used to it. We’ll definitely sign a CB (the club will have been working on that for months, knowing TV was likely to go). Any other signings will, I think, be investments for the future.

Ok, over and out, catch up with you guys later.

Good thinking LB

Oi goonads, come back, we’re sending RA into a spell-off. This’ll learn yer

More hols, 26!

You’re back in a Centre Park aren’t you 🙂

I hope we’re playing Leicester away as we’ve just got tickets to got to the superbly named King Power Stadium in Filbert Way.

27. fatgingergooner says:

Manolas would be perfect but stories last week said he was off to Juve.

Yaya Toure was missing yesterday. Even his lanky frame couldn’t be seen in Ramseys deep back pocket! The welsh lad is starting to look every inch a world class midfielder. The sort that Real Madrid and Barca would pay £40m+ to sign. Not that he would want to leave Arsenal.

FGG

Ramsey certainly is, and his energy levels and knowing where to be in the right place is uncanny.
    Most probably out of all our attacking options be it in midfield or otherwise he mustn’t be overplayed. (is that one word or two 🙂 )

29. Shard says:

fgg

“I have unfinished business at Arsenal first but maybe one day, when the time is right, I’d fancy that (move to RM or Barca). One of those two teams is quite mouthwatering.” – Aaron Ramsey

Thanks Kelsey, that’s a very sound analysis. We could only beat the team put in front of us – and we did that comfortably. I have to agree with 26m that they unlocked our defence a bit too easily at times.

Chambers is certainly looking a good prospect. I imagine the boss is already looking at ways of keeping him out of the limelight so he can progress without the heavy burden of expectation.

I’m loving Alexis (I think that’s what he prefers to be called) already. His work rate is excellent, let’s hope he lifts the momentum of others if we slip into Arsenal lull mode at any time.

31. fatgingergooner says:

Shard,

On current form he’d get in either of those sides on a regular basis. If he brings us titles for the next 4 or 5 years then he can do what he wants!

Rasp hi

Look. 26 is in slight doom mode as he’s had to go on his second family holiday of the summer to Centre Parks, and I’ve seen the website. It’s a hell hole full of women with huge ankles and men in football shirts.

City did not unlock our defence very well in my book, and I’d also say “what defence? The one where the CB’s had barely met, and only played for five minutes with the new RB?”

Hi micky, I take your point – but the ‘what defence’ is likely to be the same against Palace, maybe even starting with Nacho and Chambers as CB’s if kozzer fails to recover

Our defence would be a whole game more mature 🙂 and against a Palace with no-one in their attack I’ve ever heard of 🙂

Hey goonads

Rasp just wrote “top” instead of “to”

What shall I do?

36. Vintage Gooner says:

I am surprised at the assumption that making Arteta captain (for the day or the club?) means we do not see the need for a world class DM. Certainly Martin Keown said the Arsenal top priority is still DM in after match comments yesterday.

Perhaps of even greater concern is that the dreaded armband is likely to mean poor Arteta is half way out the door going by all recent precedent.

37. Shard says:

fgg

He can and will do what he wants anyway. But I wasn’t really contradicting you. I agree with what you say.

I’ve edited meself micky so no need to tax goonad’s minimal brain 😛

I think chas is right.We payed 12 million for Chambers with certain add ons, which is the norm.

Considering how little PL football he is mighty impressive and doesn’t seem fazed but I still think AW will buy before the window closes,probably someone who can play in defence in more than one position.

I don’t think he will go for a striker as he has three already and when Walcott returns yet another.

it is qute feasible that instead of the traditional 20 league goals a season CF we will have numerous goal scorers to spread the load and baffle the opposition.
    Santi,Wilshere,Rosicky and Ozil can be providers and scorers as so can The OX.They have shown that they can assist but could easily up their conversion rate.

Where that leaves Podolski,I am not so sure.

Hey goonads
    Rasp just wrote my name with a small m
    what do I do?

I have been meaning to mention that Micky lol

Thank you for the summation Kelsey.

It was very encouraging to see so much enthusiasm and energy in the team. It was obviously an out of sorts Man city team but who cares, We were the better team in all areas and it was a solid performance.

We went off the boil after the substitutions and gave then a few scoring opportunities but Szczesny showed his skills and kept a clean sheet.

I started to copy and paste the negative headlines to put together as a post – but I found the exercise too annoying and gave up!

43. RC78 says:

Transfer news:
    – Man City lands Mangala for 56 Mln EUR from Porto

– Man Utd strongly linked with Vidal (agent in England to finalize transfer) and Blind as well as Di Maria. As a result, Fellaini, Nani (or Valencia) and Kagawa should leave Old Trafford

– Barcelona coy on Cuadrado. Shall the move fail, Man Utd will make an offer for the Colombian international.

Very nicely put Kelsey.

As others have said, if we’d been on the receiving end of a 3-0 thumping the press would have been taking the proverbial out of us all day long.

Big Al
    Djourou gone for ever? Say it ain’t so 😦

Incidentally there has been much conjecture and attempted lip reading concerning what was said between Pat Rice and Jack when he received his winner’s medal. The best guess is that Jack said “that’s 2 trophies we’ve won since you left” to which Pat responded with the traditional “F&*% Off 😕

Hi Rocky 😛

Rocky,

I pinched your Monday slot 🙂

Watching the highlights again I believe that OPIG got his fingers to the shot that hit the post and Ramsey started the move on the edge of our own penalty area for his goal.

48. Norfolk Gooner says:

Peaches/Rasp, Edited post re-submitted via e mail.

It doesn’t look like there was any deflection on Giroud’s curler…..

50. Hi RockyLives
    Long time no chat. And, yes, it’s true.

If you’ve read my occasional posts (I’ve noticed yours) as regards Djourou then you’re well aware of our differing opinion as regards the player.
    We can agree to disagree, I hope, when I say he’s not, and never was, good enough for Arsenal even as back-up.
    But I wish him well.

Look forward to some good conversation with you this coming season, Rocky, and others as well.

All the Georgie, mate.

kelsey. Fine work. As good as anything the pro’s write (that is ladies of pleasure as opposed to journalists 🙂 ).

Rarely is there a match in which no AFC player escapes some criticism but I have yet to read a single damning word.

There has been much made of the MC GK having a stinker; well I challenge any keeper to save any of the three goals as each was superbly taken.

I thought I was on the wrong blog, all these new faces. Welcome to AA Big Al, RockyLives, Rasp and Big Raddy! Enjoy the blog, just don’t swear, don’t moan, don’t argue with Kelsey and don’t talk to the troll. You are welcome to worship Wenger and his disciples. Basic understanding of football and surfing, ability to discuss formation as well as good knowledge of the FFP rules are required. Good luck!!

Oh dear Eddie, if that’s the case I’m off 🙄

54. fatgingergooner says:

Shard,

My comment was in jest, and it’s good you agree with what I say!!! 😉

Not sure who we could sign at CB. United and Barca have been looking and between them they’ve found Mathieu and Vermaelen for a combined fee of over £30m! Doesn’t bode well does it!

sorry to hear that Rasp 😦 which part put you off?

56. RC78 says:

Apparently Wenger is trying to lure Hummels…If he fails with this attempt, Manolas is the next one on the list…

I would be well happy if Wenger also brings on a DM.

Sanchez, Giroud, Walcott and Ramsey will chip in quite a few goals.
    If you add Santi, Mesut to the mix and if Wilshere and Ox also add a few, we are covered. Let us hope that Campbell and Sanogo also score and we can ask ourselves the tough question: do we need Poldi? If we get rid of Poldi, I will miss him his left footed fierce shots as he is one of the few that can score from outside the box but all and all, I think that if Galatasaray comes in with 10 Mln, we could let him go…

If we want pace forwards, we can play:

Ramsey, Ozil – Sanchez, Walcott, Santi

If we want to mix things up with a strong hold-up play up front, we can play:

Ramsey, Ozil – Walcott, Giroud, Sanchez

It is quite close to our rivals’ level:

Man City: Yaya – Navas, Dzeko, Aguero, Nasri
    Man Utd: Herrera – Young, Mata – RVP, Rooney
    Chelsea: Fabregas – Oscar – Hazard, Diego Costa, Willian
    Liverpool: Henderson – Coutinho – Sterling, Sturridge, Lallana

For once, I feel like we can compete up front…

57. Oh ye of little faith ………. massive deflection my arse

RC78
    Did you read my post at 12.57 🙂

You see this new german chap on the coaching staff had a quiet word with our Ollie.He told him to improve his game it wouldn’t be a bad idea to face the goal he was aiming at, and the rest is history 🙂

60. RC78 says:

Kelsey – I did and even mentioned it in my post but I was not specific enough :-p

“@ one of the comments: We have a great variety of potential scorers at our disposal right now and I agree with you that we may not need a 20-goals in the EPL forward to be competitive upfront.”

I love this site.
    Just saying.

Oh Eddie

Few things to add:

1. Swingometer. Even a basic understanding is strictly forbidden
    2. Good spelling OUT
    3. It’s no longer just plain old surfing, but night surfing
    4. Treat Buddhists and Hippies with caution
    5. The Ox is better than Messi

and men in shades at night are suspicious

Aren’t they Crystals 🙂

I would take Agger if he is prepared to ride the pine. Good player, international captain, and out of the first team at present.

Wages could be a problem but we have 52k p.w. available following the departure of his countryman

6. Aaron is better than Ox
    7. Front bottom means fanny
    8. Peaches is the Boss
    9. We hate Tottenham
    10. We take Prozac

Don’t we think Chambers could be the man? Terry and Our Tone were first teamers at his age, and hopefully he’ll only be called upon to rotate either Mert or Kos when we play the minnows, which is nearly everyone 🙂

on a non-footballing subject.
    Russia stopped importing European foods. hundreds of tonnes of produce were returned to Poland from the russian boarder. Polish have now an action to eat apples to piss off Putin. I can see English eating their cheeses soon

I think it is foolhardy to expect Chambers to be our 3rd choice CB. He may well be the chiens couilles but …..

dog bollix according to the google translator 🙂

70. LBG says:

Thanks Kelsey, solid assessment.
    As an attendee myself, with of course the ability to analyse/view from only the one place in the stadium with the restrictions that brings, I was very impressed with a number of specifics.
    Chambers looks like a gem, faster than Adams in his youth but similar in style/leadership of defence. Skinned once by Kolarov but many many perfect interceptions, calming no nonsense clearances, with his head up all the time. Definitely my MOM; find Giroud’s nomination comical. (Kolarov by the way a diving cheat on at least two occasions.)
    Little to fault in Debuchy. Not sure how quick he is, but generally good timing of tackles and three good quality crosses.
    Sanchez will scare defences as long as he gets close enough to penalty box. Worked well with a competent Sanogo. Hope he will get protection from referees.
    Gibbs, Ramsey, Kos usual solid excellence. Likewise Jack, in flashes in first half.
    Disappointed about only two things – hoped both the Ox, I would have started him, and Campbell would have had more time playing, and, perhaps controversially, thought Szczesny had got out of the habit of rushing out of his goal like a headless chicken. Judgement in these cases is often faulty. Two missed crosses which could easily have been goals, and could have been seriously injured in Sinclair incident, let alone sent off if he had wiped out forward. I feel if Ospina gets a chance Szcz might not get place back.
    Overall a genuinely pleasant experience all round in summation, however.

Hmmm, that is an interesting comment LBG.

I was happily agreeing with everything you were saying and certainly with the high praise you were bestowing on Chambers but then you made him MOTM and I thought, not sure if I agree with that, he was, as you say, skinned by Kolorov and he also managed to get himself out paced by Dzeko of all people which almost led to a goal.

So I carried on reading and having decided that Szezceny was MOTM as he was the only player who put in a flawless performance.

But then you mentioned him running out to clear with a diving header. It seemed to me the right thing to do at the time but you have now made me think again.

This needs more analysis, we need at the least our resident goal keeping experts view.

GIE

What do you think: good goalkeeping or same old problems from the Pole in the goal?

Definitely BR

We need grown up, experienced back up.

73. Evening all fine feelings Kelsey.

Can’t really add a lot to today’s discussions, but as LB has asked me to comment on Szczesny here goes:

Generally i was impressed with his control of the area yesterday, my only two quibbles were the corner he got nowhere near and the diving header.

Both were borne out of boredom and over confidence in equal measure. He had been claiming so many balls with ease that i think he got a bit cocky, the corner he got there way too early and was never going to get it from a standing jump. The diving header would have been the right thing to do had it been a clear runaway, but there were quite a few numbers back and on another day it could have cost a goal.

As problems are always easier to correct when winning the couple of things of work on with our team this week:

Debuchy….never turn your back on the ball, he did this first half and gifted an easy ball to the left flank.

Chambers….even players like Dzeko can change direction when he coasted to him thinking he was just seeing the ball out he switched off.

Alexis…..play as quick as you did for Chile, but remember you have players all around you willing to receive, you don’t have to be the creator of everything

Kozzer, Gibbs and Szczesney…..as the experienced players in your natural positions it’s up to you to help those around you vocally and by example.

75. 26may1989 says:

micky, just seen your comments about Center Parcs (even the spelling is offensive) – am glad you feel my pain, and that it gives you something to chortle about. I may design a wager with you on the basis that the loser has to spend a weekend there…..

Morning

Lehmann was interviewed a few weeks ago and he said that there is a lot of Szczesny in him,so you can make of that what you will.

All keepers come under scrutiny,Joe Hart being a good example, and when they make mistakes it is always intensely discussed
    Our lad is still very young, is a bit arrogant and cocky but still has a lot to learn,distribution being one, and when to come out of his goal or not,but he is a fine keeper..

Ospina isn’t another Fabianski and I am pretty sure he will gradually get his chance and as the season progresses we might well see intense competition for the number one slot,and in my eyes that isn’t a bad thing.

My headline post mentioned the media bias against Arsenal and yet again on The Monday Night Club on Radio 5 last night the “experts” discussed for 30 minutes the strengths of Manchester City and spoke at length about the new keeper from Malaga who had previously worked with Pellegrini at Malaga,and they were convinced he was bought to give real competition to Joe Hart and the only mention of Arsenal during that half hour was that Giroud’s shot took a slight deflection,and not one single word about our performance.
    I know AW is a very experienced manager and extremely intelligent but I wonder if this constant daily negativity about our squad actually gets to him,though he would never admit it.
    It must put more pressure on him for Arsenal to be successful and though I find some of his decisions baffling,he is worth every penny he earns.
    He isn’t getting any younger and though he looks completely rejuvinated since we won the FA Cup I wonder if we have a set back,which is inevitable how he will cope,as the media pounce,as they are always waiting for us to slip up.

kelsey
    After all he’s endured from some sections of our own fans for the last 6 or 7 years, I really don’t think he’s gives a flying f*ck about any perceived media bias.

One for Evonne – always remember the good bits.

“Monitoring” eh

Chas Morning

You can be a little rude about people banging on about wanting a big tough dm, and then this tasty morcel

Are you bovered or not?

The speculation is just for you and others who like it.

I’m a bit like BR in my Zen-like acceptance of what transpires.
    Just absorb the vibrations from the gong and bathe in the after dong.
    Like a mountain stream flowing over the pebbles. 🙂

Sanchez, Debuchy, Chambers and Ospina – how many would have predicted even one of those? Debuchy, maybe.

Btw, apologies for being rude about anyone wanting a beast of a DM.
    I was reading the same thing on LG in 2008/9, which tends to make me a bit cynical. Maybe we might have won the league a couple of times since if we had got one in. Who knows?

Must go, my bullshit-o-meter “full” alarm has just gone off and needs emptying. 🙂

Chas
    Now that the summer is nearly over, and swimwear goes back in the bottom drawer, can you ease off the beauty salon?

Won the league if we had a DM…….come off it….it’s the lack of an English centre back that has been the key .

center centre. You’re right. I’ve become American. I don’t believe you’re at a Center Park again. I would not be THAT horrible

By the way, Cornwall is the place to be I the summer. The weather has been superb, and the beaches/campsites second to none.

Sad about Robin Williams.So many comedy actors on film and TV literally put on an act when being filmed yet in real life they are manic depressives.Tony Hancock,Eric Morecambe,Mike Yarwood to name just three.

LB

Did you know that a 36 year old man died of a heart attack in Guildford during your road race on Sunday.

I watched the the leaders and chasing group of the main race later in the afternoon literally from my window and was amazed how many motor cycle cops and various team cars headed the leaders.Must have cost a bomb.

chas. “Just absorb the vibrations from the gong and bathe in the after dong.
    Like a mountain stream flowing over the pebbles.”

Have you been on one of my “Commune with Nature” courses?

Kelsey

I didn’t see any accidents but I did see a good half a dozen people sparked out on the floor with medical teams around them.

As innocent a cycling is thought of it is still one of a very few sports in which people die on a regular basis.

As for the top teams budgets they are enormous in terms of sport but are, of course, a drop in the ocean compared to football.

Here is team Sky’s budget. It is written very simply even I can understand it.

Very interesting LB.

How much do the top professional riders earn.
    I was led to believe in The Tour de France whoever wins, the prize money is shared amongst the whole team as each rider has a purpose to fill in the race for the main rider. Is that correct ?

kelsey. The top earning cyclists earn enough money to live in Monaco, so work it out for yourself !

Many use the mountain road leading to the Italian village where I have a summer house as a training route. They are almost superhuman as they can ride uphill nearly as fast as down.

Hi Kelsey

As BR says the top earners do live in Monaco but there are very few who earn such amounts to do so, the majority earn very little.

It is also true that all the winnings of the Tour de France for example will be shared between the winning team.

And rightly so, it is team sport which most people do not realise.

Each team has 9 riders.

BR

What is the name of the town, village or city where your house in Italy is?

If you would prefer not to say I understand.

Very interesting accounts there LB

£15M in wages, so guessing maybe £2M each for the top riders?

Wow
    Just googled Kelly Slater (who I imagined would be world’s highest earing surfer)
    Career earnings $3.5M, but check this out from Wiki:

Kelly Slater tops annual list of highest-paid athletes

In 2012 it looked like the athlete’s spectacular career was winding down. Suddenly, he was back on top. People With Money reports on Monday (August 11) that Slater is the highest-paid athlete in the world, pulling in an astonishing $75 million between July 2013 and July 2014, a nearly $40 million lead over his closest competition.

In compiling this yearly list, the magazine considers factors such as upfront pay, profit participation, residuals, endorsements and advertising work.

The American athlete has an estimated net worth of $215 million. He owes his fortune to smart stock investments, substantial property holdings, lucrative endorsement deals with CoverGirl cosmetics. He also owns several restaurants (the “Fat Slater Burger” chain) in Washington, a Football Team (the “Cocoa Beach Angels”), has launched his own brand of Vodka (Pure Wonderslater – US), and is tackling the juniors market with a top-selling perfume (With Love from Kelly) and a fashion line called “Kelly Slater Seduction”.

Top cyclists also earn big money from personal endorsements and image rights.

I really hate this cyclist and everything he has done to damage a sport I love partaking in but when it comes to endorsements the sky high numbers are obvious.

Lance Armstrong.

Micky

2m a year is the figure that I had in mind. I also reckon Wiggins’ net worth is simply that: 2m.

He hasn’t had the big Sky contract for that long; he lives up North rather than Monaco and pays all his taxes; he is on the last year of his contract and it will not be renewed with Sky.

So, in brief, the man has still got to do a lot more work before he can retire comfortably.

Will sort the new post in a while, sorry it’ll be a few minutes late.

I think if I had 2mil I could retire comfortably 🙂

Cycling is a very hard sport, probably one of the hardest. I read Armstrong’s book and couldn’t believe the endurance they go through during races, only the strongest mentally can succeed. Cycling and swimming must be two hardest.

And on the other hand I believe that football is one of the easier sports, don’t you think?

In other words LB,

Slater and Wiggins have roughly the same career earnings, but one has a good business manager, the other doesn’t 🙂

Oh, and one is a highly exploitable pretty boy, and the other isn’t

Plasterers in…. Brief conversation about my NLondon roots and he asks what half….I say the best half….he then reveals he is a Spud…..from
    Norfolk….with bumpkin accent and everything! Well s’pose it suits a swamp dweller.

I think it was the first sport were drug abuse started.Tommy Simpson died in the sixties from a cocktail of drugs,heat and exhaustion during the Tour de France.

104. Norfolk Gooner says:

GIE, Go you steady bor! There hint nawthin wrong wi a Norfik accent.

IMO boxing is the hardest sport requiring silly levels of fitness, resilience and mental strength.

Never tried it because I have none of the above.

Evonne

I thought I could live on 2 million but my wife thought differently and of course there is always Mummy and Daddy Bank 🙂

Micky

And one if from the USA and the other is from Kilburn.

108. New Post everyone …………………

109. jacobsfemi says:

I dont really care what the haters say. If you have someone even if he or she falls into water you could accuse him/her of raising dust. Have they forgotten that we also have 3 world cup winners out there? Campbell only played few minutes etc. If Arsenal had lost they will sing another song.

Gunners dont worry, they will use their leg to waka come Emirate or even if we go to Etihad, we will show them that there is God o.