Poll: Today’s winners?

France vs Nigeria: Nigeria squeezed through qualification but I like them. Decent footballers with considerable skill, great athletes and a fine kit. Part of my affection is due to spending much time in Nigeria searching for unknown breeds of fish (unsuccessfully!!., And then there is the Kanu factor. I loved Kanu – still do,  a real gentleman and a superb ambassador for his country, oh, and the scorer of the finest hat-trick ever seen at Stamford Bridge. And if that isn’t enough Nwanko remains a committed Gooner as you can see from his website.

The French. I have a love/hate relationship with both the country and the football team. I so much enjoyed the victory in 1998 when Arsenal won the World Cup but I also enjoyed the disaster in South Africa in 2010. This time we have a few lads in the French squad and for that reason I will support them tonight. They have a flaky manager – how else can one explain how Deschamps would  pick Sakho ahead of Koscielny or drop Giroud after an exceptional performance against the Swiss?

So, it’s France for me.

Germany vs Algeria: Another African team and one who will give the Germans a tough match. They have surprised many (including BR) with their teamwork but surely tonight is the end of an exciting journey. 4 goals against Korea was a shock but highlighted what an easy group they were in.

Germay will be rightly confident. They are the best European side and have yet to hit top form. With 3 AFC players (plus hopefully one or two more to come) in the squad and at least two to start, they have to be favourites. Nonetheless, if they get beaten it will give our lads a couple of weeks more holiday

Germany win.

130 Responses to Poll: Today’s winners?

1. bernard omonigho says:

do u really luv d Nigerian Kit? Me tinks, wit countless Million Nigerians, dat d Kit Colours are not a true reflection or shade of d Nigerian Green.. Back 2 on-field matters, i dont see d Super Eagles standin a chance against d French. Yes, we (am a Nigerian) hav got players wit great athleticism, but i dont really see any team work in d Super Eagles. We hav relied on mor on Individual brilliance nd d will to succeed. The Tactical ineptitude of Coach Stephen Keshi coupled wit d lack of quality on d bench wil be Nigeria’s undoing. I Forsee a defeat 4 Nigeria. Strike dat.. A Spanking… Does French Fries come with Eagle Meat? Watch out for a Massacre today as Les Blues to Roast d Eagles…

Bijoux posts are what these are.

Thank you Raddy.

Perfect little tasters of what we have install for the day’s entertainment.

I know exactly what you mean about “love hate” relationships. I’m riddled with the little blighters. For me it’s now time to bury my romantic side, and look at the bigger picture. In other words, all minnows must now go.

Problem is, there are serious contenders that I really dislike, and to have them eliminated requires having half decent sides to do the job.

So, I prioritize my hate list, and think who I need left in the competition to duff them up when the opportunity arises. Therefore, with that in mind, I see the winners tonight play each other before taking on Brazil or Columbia. Wanting either of the latter to reach the final, it’s OUT OUT OUT for both of France and Germany.

Whereas tomorrow, it’s imperative that the Argies win, so that they can kick the crap out of the Dutch.

See, easy when the overriding emotion is hatred and petty grievances 🙂

Bernard

Stop dooming right this minute. Your Eagles must soar tonight, then pick off that loathsome Cockerel or Rooster, or whatever Spurs-like creature it is on Les Bleus blouses.

Up The Eagles.

Raddy

“spending much time in Nigeria searching for unknown breeds of fish ”

You what? Don’t tell me, you got lost on the hippy trail.

Right, I have less important things to do.

Micky. A story for a late “relaxed” evening – probably on our European tour 😀

7. Mayor of the Woolwich says:

Thanks Micky.

Eagles must soar high. I just have the sheer believe that Super Eagles are not crashing this evening.

Raddy, next time you visit Nigeria on such purpose, we can be of help, as we are in agric field, we can make some useful contact.

Having said that, my feeling today is mixed. I want the Arsenal boys to do well, and I want success for my dear country.

Hi Radster,

Another communal vote to give us a platform to discuss this and that, and reminds me of the delicacies placed on our screens tonight.

Anyway, I thought you were off on an Italian yodelling holiday, or some such, and here you are still oiling the wheels of social intercourse. When do you sally forth? 🙂

Sally booted him into touch years ago, and the only thing he oils are his thirst buds.

Oh, and I’m not here.

Darn it!!

Just my luck, so many people not here today, and I get the one with the Sally jokes!! 🙂

12. arnie says:

Great stuff, Raddy. 🙂 🙂

It is the Europeans for me this time. Why? Because of our good guys. Period.

Great respect for Kanu, and love the game Nigeria play and their spirit. But Kos-Giro-Sagna win it for me this time. What is the issue with “dropping” our good guys. It is called squad rotation. Shows what depth the French have.

Germany as well. Our good guys sway my vote.

Come on Europeans! Can we ever have an European WC champion in Latin America? We live in hope. Onwards and upwards. 🙂 🙂 🙂

And, shhh, I’m not here at the moment. 😛

13. Shard says:

I too am not here today. Not that I’ve been here much recently, but today I’m definitely not here, because it is my birthday 🙂

Off to celebrate in a bit, but a careful celebration, nothing too wild, since my knee is still not 100%.

14. arnie says:

Happy Birthday, Shard. 🙂 Knobbly knees and all that. 😛

No-one here today Arnie. Just mirages. Heat thing.

Who do France play instead of Ollie?

Shard

You’ll just have to celebrate hard lying down. While not being there, of course.

Happy B’day

17. I’m not here either today.

France and Germany for me also.

The reason you’re not here Chary is because you spent Saturday night in a field in Somerset listening to Metalloaf, and you’ve now got head problems. Serves you right.

Whooosh and I’m gone

I would say;

a) Happy Birthday, Shard
    b) Hiya CharyB

If you were here, of course!

20. ai-zed says:

BR, I truly am torn between the arsenal contingent in the french squad and my national team, the Super Eagles. patriotism alone has kept me seated through all Nigeria matches (except vs Argentina), they truly lack team cohesion & their defensive shape, or lack of it, will be their undoing unless they have addressed it. it should be an end to end stuff though as the Eagles traditionally do not play defensively (even though they haven’t lost any competitive match by more than a goal margin since that 4-1 loss to Denmark in France ’98). patriotism again influences my vote on this one……Nigeria!!!! Germany all the way for the 2nd game ….they are my team for the ultimate prize, & they’ve got 3 good guys in the ranks…..DIE MANSCHAFT!!!!!!

21. Vinay says:

Germany and France to win, they need to for they are the better teams left and i do not want Brazil to win this on sheer luck than ability.
    I still think this is a double edge sword wishing Germany/France to win, they progress, Arsenal suffers, they do not progress they may not get another chance to do so.

May the best team win and time for our magician to prove the world why he is simply the best.

22. Still not here, but I don’t do open air festivals, far too uncomfortable for me.
    I can barely raise myself to go to a pub gig nowadays. Too lazy.

23. Norfolk Gooner says:

As there is nobody here I won’t do other than wish Shard a happy birthday, so no good afternoons to all the others that aren’t about.

France and Germany for me, I just hope there are no penalty shootouts, the late nights are not good for me.

That’s me done, I can’t go ‘cos I was never her in the first place. 😀

If I were here I would wish Shard a happy birthday but sadly ….

Woolwich. Thanks for the kind offer. Who knows what the future holds but at the moment I am fish-free (unlike some) 😀

On second thoughts, given the number of mad Gooners in Nigeria – I am supporting the Super-Eagles. Solidarity amongst our International family.

25. stevepalmer1 says:

Afternoon Steve,
    seeing how no ones here and your on your own, Who do you fancy tonight then Steve,Well Steve i reckon that the French and German teams will win, But your always wrong Steve, Yeh but no ones gonna know are they.Steve so its goodbye fro me and goodbye from him
    Hey steve before you go what do you think of the post, Steve that Raddy is a top man i wish he was here.

26. goonermichael says:

France and Germany. I’d like to see some Arsenal players win the thing

I’ll definitely be here in about 20 mins, so save me a space

Any team news. Ollie?

Thanks Raddy. Our boys representing Germany make me plump for them, and also I can’t see it not being a Germany win.

France vs Nigeria is a harder one to call. I feel the French will have the edge in all round quality but Nigeria look decent and their lad up front looks a pacy handful (not Eminem, is it Eminecke or something like that?).

From a personal point of view I have a certain affection for both sides. It is difficult as an Arsenal fan not to side with France with our rich Francais history which still continues today. Similarly I loved Kanu and I am aware that Nigeria boasts a huge Arsenal following. May the best team win then.

Happy birthday Shard and sorry to hear about your poorly knee. There is a new miracle cure on the market using the placenta of a rare Nigerian fish as a twice daily rub. I don’t know anything more about it than that or what it is called. What you need is to consult with a rare Nigerian fish expert. If only we all knew one…..

OG has left his shooting boots in the car. Will be better after half time!

GB. He’s not here 😀

Looked like a goal for Nigeria – he was onside when the ball was played in

32. goonermichael says:

It looked onside Raddy.

Kevin Kilbane is a moron. Can’t BBC get anyone better than him and Lawrenson? They are abysmal.

GM. Lovely to see you. Hope all is well

35. goonermichael says:

You too Raddy. Everything is going very well thank you. i have no idea what these commentators are saying though

Echoing Raddy’s sentiments that it is good to see you GM. Hope all is well.

Have to say i was impressed with Debuchy when I saw him for Newcastle last year. I like the look of him tonight as well. Seems both good in defence and offers a lot going forwards.

France very poor in attack. OG and Benzema anonymous but they have not been given a decent pass yet.

38. goonermichael says:

The WC is ruining my sleep patterns. The Germany game is 3AM

Well, well, the Knot Ears are still not ‘ere, but all is serene – BR, GM Steve and GB are doing AA proud.

Where would we be without acronyms? 🙂

GM, as Raddy says we are listening to Kilbane and Lawrenson so we have no idea what the commentators are saying either. You are probably better off than we are.

Raddy,

While you are in Valpolicella country and feeling mellow, how about singing ‘The Air that I Breathe’ and stick it on You Tube pour moi, and your other fans, pretty please???? “D

Redders, stop being so modest. You can add yourself to the list of those doing the site proud at present.

RA. Maybe on my return …… Maybe!

France and OG in particular just awful.

Thanx, Raddy. 🙂

GB,

You are obviously working too hard – but it is good to read your stuff again when you have been on. 🙂

When I said I’d be 20 mins late…..

ok 0-0. Come on Eagles

France much better without OG.

And they score!!

Nigeria GK best player on the pitch and doesn’t deserve to lose (apart from Koscielny of course)

Merde

Worst thing of all, I’m in France next Friday night. Arrive Hotel 18:00hrs. Quarter Final KO 18:00hrs.

Chef’s going to be on top form isn’t he 😦

Sandwiches if I’m lucky.

Merde Double´

52. stevepalmer1 says:

Glad to see AAers back, such a great bunch. Half my prediction right, so if everything is normal for me the Germans will lose, but i can’t see it.

Sorry Shard i never wished you a happy birthday, go out have a few , quite a few that is and get laid, just watch that Knee.

53. Hello

I missed both of the french goals 😦 looking forward to an Ozil masterclass next 🙂

All change for me now on the back of the French win.

It’s now Fritz and his Mates for me later. Want to see the French given a proper old fashioned sausaging in the quarters

Micky Knot Ear, and Raddy, qu’est-ce que c’est ‘merdique’? Le sandwich? Pourquoi? 🙂

56. LBG says:

OG awful, but I feel more empathy for the French than in recent years, even with Evra playing! Griezmann is a definite talent which is of course why AW has been tracking him. Hope Sneiderlin plays against, I cant see anything other than Germans, and then would like to see one or two signings to get the ball rolling and stop some of the daily, “close sources”, my arse, speculation in the papers. Fed up with the WC. Want my Arsenal back.

France and Germany for me, even though it’s probably not best for us too have our players out there for the duration.

The only thing stopping Kevin Kilbane from being the least interesting co-commentator at the World Cup is the presence of Phil Neville.

I thought the Nigeria lad was offside. It’s any part of the body with which you can score a goal and his right foot is well in front of Evra.

chas. The camera angle makes it appear offside. If it were level with the Nigerian player he would be on and the deeply unpleasant Evra would be castigated for standing so deep.

That’s my opinion and despite evidence to the contrary I am sticking to it. 🙂

Haha, Raddy. They must have a wonky mower, too! 🙂

Lawyers should never ask a Georgia grandma a question if they aren’t prepared for the answer.

In a trial, a Southern small-town prosecuting attorney called his first witness, a grandmotherly, elderly woman to the stand. He approached her and asked, ‘Mrs. Jones, do you know me?’ She responded, ‘Why, yes, I do know you, Mr. Williams. I’ve known you since you were a boy, and frankly, you’ve been a big disappointment to me. You lie, you cheat on your wife, and you manipulate people and talk about them behind their backs. You think you’re a big shot when you haven’t the brains to realize you’ll never amount to anything more than a two-bit paper pusher. Yes, I know you.’

The lawyer was stunned. Not knowing what else to do, he pointed across the room and asked, ‘Mrs. Jones, do you know the defense attorney?’

She again replied, ‘Why yes, I do. I’ve known Mr. Bradley since he was a
    youngster, too. He’s lazy, bigoted, and he has a drinking problem. He can’t build a normal relationship with anyone, and his law practice is one of the worst in the entire state. Not to mention he cheated on his wife with three different women. One of them was your wife. Yes, I know him.’

The defense attorney nearly died.

The judge asked both counselors to approach the bench and, in a very quiet voice, said,

‘If either of you idiots asks her if she knows me, I’ll send you both to the electric chair.

Time to settle in with a chilled Tuborg .

Would love Ozil to shine

Chas. 😚🙈

If the game were won on national anthems the Germans would win easily

64. arnie says:

Still not here, 😛 but firmly in font of the tele. 🙂 Come on the good guys. 🙂 🙂 🙂

ich habe meinen badeanzug

Sorry, wrong site.

Evening all.

67. arnie says:

an oder aus?

68. arnie says:

this is looking tasty

Mertesacker started well. Algeria will run out of steam after 75 mins but are the better side so far

70. arnie says:

frech durch Özil. Knoten Ohr

Changed my mind. Want Algeria to win.

Mind you, them then beating France would create the biggest race riots France has ever seen

So maybe Fritz after all

72. arnie says:

margins are very thin at this level

73. I’ll get rid of those other comments.

This very surprising from Germany – poor and Algeria – better than I expected.

74. arnie says:

Is that Rasp asking? 😛

Shouldn’t you be getting wasted with your students, Arnie.

Or aren’t they out of bed yet?

Wow, this is exciting. Will concentrate

76. Nope, it’s me, peaches 😉

77. arnie says:

hard day’s work, Micky, plenty of stick wielding. watching the game now with the Portuguese, they absolutely hate the Germans. only downside, the wine is not quite that nice. 😦

what a game!

Damn, have to go. A few calls to America to make.

Why the hell can’t they sync their clocks with us. Lazy. And backward. : roll :

Bloody cheek coming from a Knot Ear. 👿 : roll :

Cheers Raddy

France for me. I will let you know my prediction for Germans v Algerians after the final whistle if thats ok?

Ime realy good at this prediction lark Raddy. Last year I contacted Phil Brown and Mark Hughes that I foresaw a terrible time when they would compete for prize of worlds biggest dickhead.

They would also struggle for women.

My gift has not gone unnoticed. Strangers visit me at home, and for a small fee, time and time again after they have told me there life story I accurately predict there past.

Unfortunately this gift can also be a curse. Last week I had a horrible vison that I had gone bald and that insecurity had forced me to wear a wig. Women mocked me and old aged pensioners would ask if the RSPCA were aware of my activities.

This German Algerian game is very interesting. I can feel something, its always the same. I watch events unfold and once things have run there course I astound people with my prediction

Its a terrible thing knowing what happens when everything is settled, but I guess i just have to live with it.

81. arnie says:

what a dance routine!

82. stevepalmer1 says:

You can tell this is an Arsenal site, Women who are men, Transplants who have hair, students who teach the teacher, and birthday boys who are sober, and an Author who is always on holiday, and a surfer who can’t swim, its lucky i can talk to myself, and never know if Germany will score. Bugger I do know now 1.0 Schurler

83. arnie says:

Steve. lucky you are not here!

84. stevepalmer1 says:

Was that an Echo 🙂

85. arnie says:

BFG has had a Big Fcuking Game.

86. stevepalmer1 says:

Like a box of Black Magic, never alone on an Arsenal site

87. stevepalmer1 says:

Ozil must be glad its Ramadam he’s had enough of Arsenal pie’s

88. arnie says:

whether here or not here, You Never Walk Alone! 🙂

89. stevepalmer1 says:

Wish i could still play football, i loved that Squirty squirty

90. stevepalmer1 says:

At least this proves that Ozil can last 90 minutes, and he’s still running

91. arnie says:

Ozil ………………………………… 🙂 🙂 🙂

92. stevepalmer1 says:

At last Townsend has had to bite the bullet and praise Mesut Arsenal

93. arnie says:

Steve: surely, you meant 120 mins. 😛

94. arnie says:

Ozil’s goal was crucial. Very happy. 🙂 🙂 for both France and Germany.

Gutted for the Nigerian Gooners. 😦

95. neamman says:

I find if I vote after the games I am considerably more accurate!!!!

96. stevepalmer1 says:

Well corrected teacher 🙂

97. stevepalmer1 says:

Neamman, your getting good at this mate

98. arnie says:

Steve. 😛

Well done Neamman. 😛

99. stevepalmer1 says:

Its not my birthday but i’m going spooning nte all

I look at my WC Chart and see

BRZ green yellow flag BRAZIL
    GER red yell blk GERMANY
    FRA red wht blu FRANCE
    CRC red wht blu WHO THE FACK IS THAT?

Seeing what I saw of the two games last night, I’d revise my wall chart and say I reckon France could beat Germany (so long as they play Benzema central)

Transplant at 10:37 ROLF

An early photo of Terry’s great great uncle Costas trying out a cure for baldness.

Ha Ha. Superb pic Chas

105. arnie says:

motning all.

what a WC!

In large paart, the WC in South Africa was ruined by those nasty plastic vuvuzelas (?sp), but I was looking forward to the samba and whistles of the Brazilians.

Have they been banned?

I know the plus side was a ban on the English trumpeters, but still.

Surfing…..errrr, no. Aaagaaaain 😦

108. arnie says:

I was expecting plenty of carnival atmosphere inside the grounds, A Brazilian footie version of Ozzie cricket grounds! 😛

109. arnie says:

Micky. Robben Island! oh dear! 😛

Don’t understand the reference to Robben Island (Mandela ok) but…?

111. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all,
    Report out, saying corruption of match fixing for teams who never qualified. Blimey glad they found them out before the final stages,

Micky,

CRC = Costa Rica

113. stevepalmer1 says:

Suarez, Yes i did bite for the third time= 4 month ban

Robben yes i did dive, for the thousandth time= nothing

RA

I know, it’s just that at first glance all others are instantly recognizable and then you get a sudden WHO? moment

115. arnie says:

Micky. Robben Island comes at the start of your video. I found the mention of the name so revolting I stopped the video. 😛

How about MRI and KGZ?

Or COD, COK, TLS? 🙂

RA. Can you give the answers – I only got one!

Really enjoyed the Germany game, Algeria were excellent and had it not been for Neuer would have won.

Ooo RA, a quiz. Yipee.

MRI: SCANinavia?
    KGZ: An autonomous principality on Mars?
    COD: Iceland?
    COK: Easy. France
    TLS: Times Literary Supllementistan

Arnie

Robben Island!!! It was a surf webcam. Must have been adverts beforehand. Have they turned Robben Island into a shrine or cheap holiday destination?

Raddy,

MRI = Mauritius
    KGZ = Kyrgyzstan
    COD = DR Congo
    COK = Cook Islands
    TLS = Timor-Leste (East Timor)

[I looked them up out of interest. They are unique country codes issued by FIFA for all member associations.]

It was just a tease for ‘Knot Ear’ Micky.
    He was just referring to the current World Cup countries, of course. 🙂

122. stevepalmer1 says:

Sounds like a dive to me.

Nearly right, Micky. Your closest one was COK = France.

Has anyone ever done the following? I was changing the blade of a Stanley knife box cutter – very carefully – and completed the job after a little hiccough.

I washed my hands before setting to with the work, and the moment the water and soap came into contact with my skin I went thru’ the roof – not literally, but nearly.

There was no blood, but somehow I had removed almost half an inch of my skin, but without breaking thru’ the epidermis.

Sodding painful, but the skill needed to do such fine work was all attributable to the knife. Today my finger – tomorrow the world!! 🙂

How about, Suarez, and his confession?

He suddenly realised he had bitten Chiellini, and felt the need to apologise, so all those saying it was not provably a deliberate bite, or just did not happen, must now be feeling foolish, as if 99.9% of the rest of us were in any doubt!! Pfft.

Looking forwards to the fans reaction to Suarez in the PL grounds 😦

We have a new post – you know the format!!

I missed Ozil’s goal 😦 just gonna go and find it.

Raddy – I see you in the cupboard, are you ok to publish?

127. Looks like you are 😉

128. arnie says:

Micky. I see. 🙂 Steve. 😛

Redders. Ouch! That must be very painful.

129. arnie says: