Poll: Winners? Netherlands vs Mexico. Costa Rica vs Greece

First up, the Dutch with those fine upstanding gentlemen Robben, De Jong, Snejder and a chap with a happy child within against some valiant losers 😀

Could this be a game as exciting and engrossing as yesterdays first game? Does anyone think Mexico can take Holland to pens or even beat them? The poll will tell.

The Mexico goalkeeper has been outstanding but I fear he will need to be, Netherlands have pace, power and potency whereas Mexico are ageing. That said they have a great manager in Herrera and it will be an interesting tactical battle with some bloke who has been given the poisoned chalice of resurrecting the Mancs.

Netherlands for me.

Costa Rica vs Greece.  Both teams created a surprise by getting out of their groups. For Greece to be still in it whilst Italy, Spain, England, Ivory Coast and Portugal are watching from the couch is  ….. well, bewildering. They have such a negative attitude and quite frankly are a piss-poor side.  However, I am delighted for the people of Greece who  could use some cheering up!

Costa Rica topped the group with aplomb. They have a Gooner in their midst, I want them to win with a Campbell hat trick.

120 Responses to Poll: Winners? Netherlands vs Mexico. Costa Rica vs Greece

Morning Raddy, Once again you step up to the plate to save the day.

We have taken a secret ballot on AA and we had a unanimous decision. Your trip to Italy is postponed until after the World Cup, however there was a condition whereby you would be allowed to go if you can guarantee 100% contact with AA.

There is no appeal allowed and any arguments could result in the total cancellation of your trip.

Oh I forgot to add – only one person voted – me.

However others are allowed to state their opinions.

3. Norfolk Gooner says:

C’est magnifique, un autre poll, J’taime les polls. Bravo Le Grande Raddy et merci bien.

Mon âme par toi guérie Netherlands et Le Rica de Costa.

Gn5. I thank you for your concern, however, Mrs Raddy (who is the capa dei cape) allows me unlimited access to AA throughout the year apart from when we are at our Casa Italiana.

I will try to maintain contact when taking my daily hike to the local bar with wi-fi but it is no bad thing that the site has a decent break from Raddy ramblings 🙂

Oh dear, Mrs Raddy is involved, I will graciously withdraw my vote as we cannot possibly win now!

I guess we will have to wait until you take your wi-fi hike.

Happy hiking.

I’d really like to see Costa Rica and Mexico progress but suspect the Dutch and Greeks might win.
    3-1 to the Dutch
    Greeks 4-3 on penalties after 0-0 stalemate (me predicting 0-0 means lots of goals)

I’m off for the day.

Helping my daughter move into her new apartment.

8. Prince says:

Gday all. Hope your all well. 🙂

Just passing through, and thought i might throw my two bob, in.

Pre- tournament, its fair to say that nobody really thought the ‘Oranje’ had a chance of going all the way.
    Then…..that mauling of the current world champions Spain, seemed to raise a few eyebrows, mind that their main strikers have hit their stride and seem dangerous, if given a sniff of half a chance!
    So, it should be an easy sleasy win for the dutch- and one little dutch boy/brat? Right?

Well it should be. Especially, when you consider that ‘Meh-hiko’ had barely scraped past, their second chance qualifying play-off, against those ‘kiwi sheep artists’. But, my gut (yes its big and full of heineken) tells me that the Dutch will only get through, but by no more than a single goal. Maybe even an extra time decider?

Every South american team, bar Ecuador, has/had made it through group stages and to the surprise of almost everybody football connected (with the exception of those, few patriotic fanatics who’s teams are still involved), and the welcome, cheeky grins, from the bookies.

Maybe its something in the tequila, or would it be wrong to say that European squads do struggle in SthAmerica.
    Nigeria, very nearly stole it from equal tournament favourites Germany, but settled for a 2-2 draw, and those goals were conceded to a team that is not known for technical skill or tactical nouse. They scored because they dealt with the climate, ran and fought the full 90+ min without dropping a gear at the end,. AND there is no way that they underestimated ze Germans. Same happened with the Aussies took it to the dutch.
    Heart, fight and better acclimatization, almost got the Kangas an upset of the tournament, only for technical skill and tournament experience to get em over the line.

I see the same, with the Dutch, prevailing by a single goal. A scrappy affair to which Van Gaals’ “total voetbal” will win passage through to the next round and play the “next fooking referee to call in favour of a south american tournament favourite” 🙄

Ahhh, the Greeks! Funny, when i think of them, first thing springs is “Piss Poor Team”. But those Greeks are the ‘chavs of Brasil 14’ as they base their strategy and tactics on the ‘big bad bus’ that they consider ‘defence’. They have that Jesus dude from Celtic who has a similar strike rate to Kevin Doyle, but 1-0 is enough, with 0-0 a good result, as penalties are a lottery (and Dimitri, Xanthu and Bill loooove the camera close-ups). No one gives them hope, nor did they give em any hope when they won the Euros in ‘Chav$ki style’.

That reminds me of my ‘stoopid’ Greek neighbour (at the time), put a ridiculous bet of just over ten grand on his “pride and joy- his ‘piss poor Greece'”. (A ‘no-sense no-logic’ bet, that he caught at odds, a little over 1000/1)
    Last week, i bumped into that ‘shtuupid griko’ as he likes to refer to himself. The bastad cant stop laughing.
    With his (flukey) winnings, he moved to a beautiful waterfront home, in Brighton Le Sands, and spends most of his days on his shiny dinghy- catching live bait for his octopus lunches or breaking the extra plates in the colder seasons.

My heart says that J.Campbell will be MoTM and score a few in this match (maybe the rounds after?) but my head says to expect inconsistencies in his game and his form.
    This will all tune up as his development progresses and he experiences a quicker and tougher league in Eng.
    Im very excited, at his raw talent and pace, but im not expecting big stats with him next year.
    More so, the important goal or two or more, that will get us out of the shite when we’re flat on the day or ready to choke.

Oranje by 1 goal v Mehiko

Costa Campbell 0- 1 to the ‘shtuupid Grikos’ and their piss poor tactics.

Never meant to write this much, then i puffed the magic dragon, and it is what it is!

Be safe, and good night Britain.

9. S2S says:

All hail Herrera. I hope we get to see more of him. And Mexico play Good football as well. I like my Ex better than RvP. So, all for Mexico and Oranje to implode today.

10. etfaust says:

I made my picks in this post here – http://wildamericangooner.com/2014/06/29/can-mexico-advance/. I think Mexico will give the Netherlands a scare in the second half.

Prince
    Loved your comment .
    Long live the dragon.

12. Norfolk Gooner says:

One-nil to The Ars-en-al. One-nil to The Ars-en-al. Well done the Arsenal Ladies. It’s always nice to beat the Bindippers.

I am with Nigel Farage on this one – to hell with Europe. I hope that Mexico and Costa Rica have something to celebrate tonight.

Mind you, it would be hilarious if Greece progressed. As BR said, they are piss poor and so they were 10 years ago, when they won the European cup

Sadly I am probably wrong in my predictions (haven’t got balls like Kelsey) and the child bearing Dutchman will shine tonight. The p***k did nothing all season in EPL, but has suddenly found form when he wanted to. The ‘he scores when he wants’ was spot on

14. arnie says:

Lovely stuff, Raddy. 🙂 🙂 I voted Mexico and Costa Rica.

I think Netherlands will just nick it. I like their game, I have nothing against the likes of Robben and Sneijder. In fact, I even secretly admire their football. But, the Dunt I cannot tolerate. I would hope not to see him celebrate. Hence, Mexico. Sorry Raddy. 😛

Mexico play a good game as well, as do Costa Rica. Plus, there is Joel Campbell. Very excited about him. Plus we need some consolation for England’s “fall from grace”! 😛

15. arnie says:

Having said that, given that you are a star, and that you are going on holiday, I hope you have a good game.

I notice that you have changed the wording of the vote cleverly. Yesterday it was who we want to win. Today it is who will win.

Nevertheless, I ignored this and voted for who I would want to win. 😛

16. arnie says:

well done to the ladies!!!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

17. arnie says:

Greece? Please, no, we want to see football! 😛

well spotted arnie 🙂 all lost on me. I always vote what I want to happen rather what is logically possible

BTW – I watched the Brazil v Chile game on the tiny horrid TV yesterday, but can honestly say that it was one of the best I have ever seen. Micky is right that it would be sad for Brazilians to exit after they staged some awesome tournament, but who cares what Didit thinks? I still wish Chile went through

Well said, Evonne — but I can’t get over you with a man’s name!!! 🙂

Do you mean Edie?

Robben already diving. De Jong subbed. All going well

Dirk Kuyt – yet another reason to detest the Dutch.

chas. Very true

This WC has been great (apart from you-know-who) with the exception of the quality of so many referees.

Two Dutch players almost kick the head off a Mexican in the Dutch penalty area and it is not a penalty. What?

Less fans than a Spurs or Chelsea game

25. arnie says:

Redders: There is material for a post there. What chances Webb officiating the final? 😛

26. evonne says:

RA – i like being Eddie 🙂
    Watching van persie tonight reminded me of an old joke:
    Q: whats the difference between an apple and an orange?
    A: there are no apple bastards

Eddie, 🙂

Dull first half but understandable given the heat.

Spuds reject downs the Dutch!! 🙂

30. arnie says:

🙂

Nice. Perhaps Spurs would like to buy Di Santos 😀 😀

32. arnie says:

what a save! Arsene, out of contract! 😛

Mexico have been shite since scoring.

The Dutch need a decent centre forward

Ochoa wouldn’t last 5 seconds in the Prem

Haha

37. arnie says:

Dunt OUT

European teams are struggling.

RvP subbed. I am sure the child within will be crying. Shame.

If he’d made contact it would have been a penalty. What absolute bollocks from Glenda.

And if my aunt had balls …..

….she’d look like Hoddle.

42. arnie says:

Chas. cannot survive the EPL, eh? 😛

In any case, we need 2 GKs.

Shocking dive

Mexico scored too early, sat back and eventually paid for it. Shame.

Obvious dive. Too late now

Holland to play Costa Rica or Greece. Semi-Final awaits.

My heart wanted Mexico to win but not to be.

Thanks to those for your kind words.

48. arnie says:

I disagree. 😛

At least in the WC refs are not giving penalties for every dive. Has to satisfy some minimum standards of acrobatics and drama.

This is a welcome break from tradition. 😛

Its a great formula and sets the day up perfectly for these great games
    Wow, what a great tournament it’s been so far
    Got out of the surf on a Sun drenched day, into car and radio on. Hooray, 1-0 to Mexico.with 15 to play. Then lost reception
    Noooooo, what the hell went wrong?!!-

Micky. They cheated

Can I be arsed to watch Greece play anyone?

I know there’s Joel Campbell, but to be perfectly honest I don’t want him anywhere near my club.

Simply put, nothing like expensive enough 🙂

Seriously. A dive, or the usual thuggery?

Now for TMHT’s boys. The danish commentators are struggling with the popodopulous’s etc

Just a Robben dive, nothing unusual except it was in the 94th minute

They have numbers on their shirts for a very good reason.

Ok, breath of fresh air, then I’ll watch the first half. In the name of research.

94th. Damn.

61. arnie says:

OK, running late. Rush. Can only watch one half. Come on Joel!!!!!!

Sorry, Terry. 😛

This looks like a game best recorded and watched on fast foward in the morning.

Sayonara

There’s a vote of confidence from Raddy 🙂

Just us then Arnie. Do you think you’ll survive the full half? 🙂

One for the endurance enthusiast this one.

65. arnie says:

I will try, Micky. 🙂 My Portuguese students arrive at 10PM. 15 mins to the airport. 😛

Crikey Arnie. They’re students for goodness sake. So

a. They’ll be late
    b. They’ll be stoned
    c. You’ll have to send them home anyway to get their pencil cases which they’ll have forgotten

67. arnie says:

They will be on time, Micky. They know the stick is out of the closet and the cane is polished. 😛

Ouch. Have to report that I got up close and personal with the cane at school. Bloody hurt.

69. arnie says:

Micky. Me too. Many times.

Spare the rod and ….. 😛 Too much political correctness these days. 🙂

70. arnie says:

OK, off now. back laters. 🙂 Enjoy, Micky.

No, I won’t. Had enough.

Nite anyone.

72. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all, if anyone is still about, got to say that i have watched 2 shit games tonight, and i would have predicted Holland and Cost Rico, Just seen a Costa Rican sent off so i will probably be wrong, Greece are losing 1.0 but they may just start attacking, this game has been like watching paint dry,

73. stevepalmer1 says:

Got to say that our Joel Campbell has not done a lot by my estimation, but he has had a tough old time out there, but he does look robust

I only started watching with half an hour to go – seems like I got it right 🙂

Cracking finish to the 90 mins.

ET now…

75. stevepalmer1 says:

I know i am talking to myself but for those that have switched off Greece got the equaliser in injury time, Costa Rico lasted out the six minutes of injury time but it now goes to extra time.

Costa Rico have played 30 minutes with ten men, and have been under immense pressure they are spent. 30 minutes left to play and i cannot see anything other than a Greek win, as Costa Rico don’t have the legs

76. stevepalmer1 says:

Hiya Rocky, thought i was on my own.

77. stevepalmer1 says:

Costa Rico nave held out for the first half of extra time but the ref has hardly helped them Campbell has been flattened every time the ball has been near him, and hasn’t had one free kick, he can hardly walk

78. arnie says:

ha ha ha, I am around as well. 🙂 agreed, Steve. 😦

79. stevepalmer1 says:

2 minutes left and still 1.1 and still Costa holding out incedible

80. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening Arnie, this has been a shit game but extra time has been incredible

81. arnie says:

incredible save, again

82. arnie says:

penalties.

83. stevepalmer1 says:

Well fcuk me Penalties

84. arnie says:

yes, Steve, I saw the 1st half, then driving, now 2nd half of ET again. Quite keyed in now. Come on Costa Rica.

85. arnie says:

happy, Steve? 🙂

86. stevepalmer1 says:

Well would you Adam and Eve it, Cost Rico scores all 5 against 4 well done Cost Rico. and nte all

87. stevepalmer1 says:

Big smile Arn 🙂

Keeper was miles off his line for the save – the refs don’t seem to be bothered about it at this WC.

89. arnie says:

wordpress behaving funny. agreed, Rocks. 🙂 🙂

nite, Steve

Yes, another Greek tragedy

However, a joyous night for the Goats of Greece.

My cousin Kleanthous was planning a bit of celebratory slaying but now the fat bastard will have to make do with salad.Probably for the best. Hes so fat that people often query how a man can walk on his stomach.

Congratulations Costa Rica.

91. arnie says:

unlucky, Terry. Greece should really have made the man advantage count. I think the Greece team is probably too old.

They lack speed arnie

Big strong boys, but to slow. Cut out the meat and eat some thing healthy now and again for gods sake.

The ony times you see Greeks sprint is when they have got to close to a village widow and are fleeing the baying mob, or when from a distance they see the feignt smoke of what could be the begginings of a barbecue.

93. arnie says:

Terry: Brilliant humour, but sad. 😦

Morning all.

Another manic weekend goes….might have one to ourselves soon.

Watched the last ten minutes then extra time then the penalties. The penalties were impressive to say the least.

Morning all

Thank heavens Ituned off and turned in. Extra time 😦

Well, it’s a no thanks from me as far as Joel Campbell is concerned.

Sure he’s a nice guy and stuff, but I reckon he’s exactly the type of player to be boo’d out of The Emirates. I simply can’t see him lasting as long as Gerv.

Right, another sunny day, and yet more knockout football tonight.

Happy

I’m now looking at my chart and wondering who I would actually like to win it, as opposed to winning the chart competition.

Tough one, but can’t see beyond Brazil, Argentina or Columbia.

Micky I think Campbell appears to be made of sterner stuff than Gerv.

The best thing I saw from him was the penalty. Super cool finish with what must have been very heavy legs.

And best of all Micky he would provide your demand for a lefty onthe right and a righty on the left (Theo)

Interestingly Exile, isn’t Hulk a leftie, and he played down the Brazil right, cut in, and whallop.

I guess that’s why wide boys with two feet are so darned expensive.

In typical Raddy style I stopped the recording before the penalties 😦

I thought Campbell played well and really worked hard as a lone striker. Better than what we have? No. IMO Giroud is technically better and more suited to our passing game. Sanogo is a bigger unit and has more pace.

101. arnie says:

Motning all.

Who boos a good guy who puts on the correct colours? Not you, not me. Not anyone on AA.

A pox on the houses of those who boo? Their season tickets should be denied. Plenty of deserving fans on the waiting list.

Campbell looks like a good guy to me! 🙂 🙂 A nice little toughie as well. 🙂

Shall we have another ‘polly’ thing for tonight’s games? Raddy have you got time????

103. arnie says:

Before we turn too critical and dismiss Costa Rican players as worthless, let us remember what group they qualified from. Indeed topped. They deserve some respect.

It is not only about money. Not only about transfer fees.

Before we dismiss players as unsuitable for the EPL, let us remember that not many EPL players survived until the knockout stages of the WC. Those that did deserve some respect as well.

104. arnie says:

Peaches. The polly thing is a good idea. IMO. 🙂

105. arnie says:

Motning trash. Topless. 😛

106. Tut tut not a good look Arsene 😦

107. arnie says:

108. arnie says:

Campbell IN. Micky OUT OUT OUT. 🙂 🙂 🙂

109. arnie says:

hmmm. Peaches. 🙂 Good enough for a 63 year old French gentleman! 😛

110. arnie says:

How can someone called up to play for their national side refuse to play. Unless of course there are severe personal circumstances.

Carlos Vela too important to play for Mexico? What about Ade?

Dont understand this. Just maybe I am old fashioned. 😛

111. arnie says:

112. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all,
    I have to say that i agree with Arnie, Young Joel Campbell was alone up front most of the time, and he was knocked all over the place. Granted he didn’t score the winning goal, but he did last out the whole 90 minutes and then extra time, and he scored a very calm penalty with much tired legs.

I don’t really know what people expect of a young lad, but i can tell you one thing if i had a choice of him or Nicky or Ya Ya Joel would be my man.

Many supporters like Marquee signings , but from what i have seen of young Joel, tells me he has heart he has the temprement and he likes to win.

Now he was shagged out last night, he had run his legs off, but when he was asked to take a penalty the lad showed incredible calmness and if you are an Arsenal fan he is one of ours.
    Good on him

113. stevepalmer1 says:

Dickson, said last night, that he asked Wenger in his hotel if Campbell was coming. Wenger replied, we will see.

114. imgur says:

Enterprises having a large website with a lot of traffic influx will require the reseller hosting package.
    A dedicated rented machine can be rented for operating
    complex web applications and for the multiple sites interconnected to your business.
    You can be diligent about protecting your website but someone else
    on the same server might not be.