The Daily Poll.

Argentina vs Switzerland. If the Swiss pick Ponderous and Djourou as their central defenders this could get very nasty. Given the outstanding attacking talent of Argentina they should stroll this game but I thought that of Germany! The Argies haven’t hit their straps as yet but they have such a superb side they surely must at some stage in the competition.

The Swiss rarely beat Argentina but with Drmic and Shaqiri they have a glimmer of a chance. This is likely to be Ottmar Hitzfeld’s last game – fine manager, good haircut.

Argentina win

Belgium vs USA:  I think this is a very interesting game. Belgium have individual skill in abundance but have yet to display real teamwork whereas USA,USA,USA are the opposite – no-one stands out but they work for each other like billy-ho (bet you haven’t seen that expression for sometime!).

Dempsey’s face is getting re-arranged as the tournament progresses, black eyes, wobbly nose, staring eyes. USA have a hippy in midfield which I like – it is easy to imagine having a toke at half-time instead of an orange slice. The USA fans have been great with Klinsmann finally finding a way to introduce football (not effing soccer) to the Yanks, even Obama is watching!

On paper this should be a Belgium win. The introduction of Fellaini has given them a focus and Hazard is improving. It was horrible to see Vermælen hobbling out – what an awful season he has suffered – and  with Kompany struggling for fitness there could be defensive problems.

Goalscoring has been a problem for both teams, could be tight.

A USA win (just for RA)

96 Responses to The Daily Poll.

Thank you, Raddy, both for the Poll and the good wishes for the USA. 😀

arnie,

It did not hurt at first, and I did not even know I had sliced things so finely.

Trying to keep my hands out of hot water, (I am fastidious with hygiene) 🙂 is impossible, and I hop around a lot when I wash.

I voted Switzerland and USA, but I suspect it will end up Argentina and Belgium — but it is not over until it is over — and we will see! 🙂

Laterz.

4. Shard says:

The teams from the Americas for me. I don’t really like Argentina but Switzerland are less exciting, and Belgium, despite their talent, have just been boring teams into submission throughout the Wrold Cup. The USA have been thrilling and despite his Spud connections, Klinsmann is someone I can’t really bring myself to dislike.

I’d like to thank everyone who wasn’t there yesterday, who might or might not have wished me a happy birthday. I especially liked Steve’s suggestion, although I suspect Micky had much the same thing in mind in partying hard while lying down 🙂

I missed most of the France game, but the Germany-Algeria game was weird. Ozil’s goal made me chuckle. A fantastic finish but he seems so reluctant to shoot. All the same I thought he had mostly a good game. Much better than Kroos or Gotze. Per looks about as composed as a giraffe dancing on eggshells but was very good. His post match comments are spot on but must have involved some very stupid people asking him stupid questions because he doesn’t sound like a friendly giant when talking there.

It’s July 1st. Where are all the signingsssssss????!!!

5. arnie says:

Lovely stuff, Raddy. 🙂 I voted for who I would like to see win, not who I will think win. My votes go to Switzerland and USA.

Switzerland because ther is Ponderous and Djourou, plus I want European teams to progress well in this WC. But it is likely an Argie win. And maybe that is not so bad. Best chance of stopping Brazil winning this time, and they have been poor by my book.

USA because they are a TEAM, fight with their heart, have a decent proportion of the population keyed in, and is a fantastic success story for the spread of the game.

Most importantly, there is Redders, who is so patriotic that just a whisper of time zones in the US by Micky brings him promptly out of his “Knot Ear” hiding. 🙂 He is so hyper this morning that the first 3 responses are all his!

Sorry Verms. Come on Switzerland, come on USA. 🙂 🙂

6. arnie says:

Shard. How was the party? 🙂

Signings? I see, you mean free transfers. 😛

7. arnie says:

Ozil is playing left MF for Germany, without much liberty to roam. This is very much unlike Arsenal, and I think this does not suit him. Particularly since most of the distribution from defence and DM is to the right, and Germany play more through the flanks than switching across.

He is getting the ball once every 10 minutes and this makes him keen to try too hard.

8. Shard says:

arnie

It wasn’t much of a party. But had fun nonetheless.

Free transfers? Bah humbug… We’ve got 387.62m in our bank account, we’re the 4th RICHEST club in the world, and we’ve just announced a new mega money deal with Puma. And what is Wenger doing? Playing beach football and gallivanting with women in bikinis. At least I can make fun of his speedos though. That makes me feel a bit better 😛

9. Shard says:

arnie

Bringing attention to RA’s 3 posts in a row to start it off and then doing the same not much later. What’s got you so hyper? 🙂

You have to be careful with these things Redders

Often been mistaken for a towel by German tourists I have no choice but to cut and then shave my hairy back and hands

It grows back so quickly that by late afternoon I am usually awoken from my sun bathing by some Sweinsteiger lookalike head rubbing into my back.

Raddy, don’t get alarmed, but I will actually be able to predict the outcome of these games some time late tonight. I can feel the tragic gift of premonition enveloping my consciousness some time after the final whistle. Oh the heavens, when will the Gods release me from this terrible burden?

What a great world cup so far. Shame about England, but until they learn how to insult in a foreign language they wont win it. Calling Colochini a big nosed git in Italian, or Cavani a tall, but fairly attractive Transvestite in Spanish should have much more affect.

Bit disappointed with the camera men. Usually they pan in to attractive women at least several times a game but this time Ive noticed a lot of shots of dancing groups of men.

I suspect the cameraman may be Wayne Sleep.

11. arnie says:

Shard. Et tu, Brute? 😛

12. Norfolk Gooner says:

‘morning all, I’ve not voted yet, I’m waiting for Terry’s predictions, it’s truly amazing how accurate he is, Terry I’ve sent you a cheque for a pound, could you put it on tomorrow’s winning numbers in the National Lottery, we’ll go fifty/fifty on the winnings 😀

I really like the ref’s can of shaving foam idea. It’s so simple and has, at a squirt, put an end to encroachment at free kicks. Mind you I saw one player give the ref a dirty look for spraying it over his pink bootees.

Why do the refs warn the players in the wall not to raise their hands over shoulder height? I know some are not the sharpest of knives in the drawer, but surely they know enough about the game to realise they could give away a foul by handling the ball.

Morning, Terry,

I forgot to say earlier that I was much taken with that fetching picture of you with the baldness cure dog on your head, courtesy of Chas, I think.

Can I possibly help you with this strange malady that has been assailing your goodself, and giving you the ‘sight’ so that tragically you know the result of games – well after everyone else knows them?

In fact it is not ‘premonition’ that you have – it is postmonition, and can quite easily be cured.

You need to carry a copy of yesterday’s newspaper with you at all times, and if someone asks you a difficult question about results and suchlike, you can whip it out (for clarity – I am referring to the paper) and let them read for themselves.

Everyone will soon learn that you have been the victim of a cruel hoax, known as the ‘premonition caper’, and leave you strictly alone, with your pigeons and that hair restoring dog for company.

[OK, they probably already do that I guess – but now there is a better reason than just wanting to see you take the dog for a walk on your head!]

Thank you again Raddy.

I am in the very happy position today of wanting and thinking the same teams to progress.

So it’s Argentina and Go USA for me.

15. Easy for me today Big Daddy (even though I’m not here, as the vogue seems to be lately) – it’s got to be the Swiss and Yoo-Ess-Aaaa!

The cuckoo clock makers because I can’t stand Messi, with his poxy, inane grinning face – if I still played today I’d scissor kick him de Jong styley. He’s got that annoying sort of face you just want to bitch slap; add to that he’s nothing but an ‘Arry Rednapp style tax fraud and he’s part of the Catalan, diving, cheating scummer team, then it has to be those from the land of perforated cheese and dodgy bank accounts(back to Twitchy Rednapp).

Inevitably the Argies will win though. 😦

As for the other game, I’m plumping for the good ole U S of A as I’ve culturally had a lot of affinity for them and once we’ve completed our bi annual donation of our team Captain to Old Toilet(for “footballing reasons” of course), we’ll have no Belgian representation in the AFC squad.

Crikey,

Now even CharyB has joined Mickey’s Knot Ears.

Well I’m Ear – so there!! 🙂

CharyB Knot Ear, you are another one who has been missed with only your sporadic visits to show — we need a bit of your acerbic take on things.

” The Land of Perforated Cheese” that could be a best seller – you have a title – get writing! 🙂

This is a very sad but also a very true story.

……………………………………………………………………………

A seven year old boy was at the center of a courtroom drama yesterday when he challenged a court ruling over who should have custody of him.

The boy has a history of being beaten by his parents and the judge initially awarded custody to his aunt,

in keeping with the child custody law and regulations requiring that family unity be maintained to the degree possible.

The boy surprised the court when he proclaimed that his aunt beat him more than his parents and he adamantly refused to live with her.

When the judge suggested that he live with his grandparents, the boy cried out that they also beat him.

After considering the remainder of the immediate family and learning that domestic violence was apparently a way of life among them, the judge took the unprecedented step of allowing the boy to propose who should have custody of him.

After two recesses to check legal references and confer with child welfare officials, the judge granted temporary custody to the England Football team, whom the boy firmly believes are not capable of beating anyone!!!!

19. Ah, bless you Redders old chap, virtually no else seems to have noticed my blog break as of late.

I guess the trophy win has given me less to be angry about for a while as well as various other reasons I’ve not been around much.

That working title sounds like an allegory for the dissolution of the nuclear family in today’s impersonal, detached society, but sadly with age the creative arteries are hardening and washed up old bloggers like me struggle to communicate much if worth.

Maybe things will change by August 16th when I’ll be at the Tavern getting pissed pre match to be ready to abuse Pugillis and his charges.

Chary. Don’t think your absence hasn’t been noticed! Some of the regulars hibernate during the off-season (don’t they Rasp? etc) but we know you will be back and firing come August.

I question whether the WC poll is worth continuing with. It is an easy filler but not AFC related. What do you think?

21. In the absence of any other posts Big Dandy then these polls are just the job plus there’s usually some AFC connection in the games, be it Arsenal players, or alleged transfer targets etc…

22. stevepalmer1 says:

Afternoon all..
    i laughed at Gn5 Story but then realised that i was laughing at my own countrymen’s misfortune’s.
    I have to say that when the Arsenal lose i have the raging hump, many oversea’s supporters also feel the same, but when my country loses i am bitterly disappointed. In my eyes as soon as England got knocked out i felt the competition had seemed unimportant, Yes i watch the games and if i say so myself, i have been entertained. I have to say that i am a bad loser, and i get very used to my country losing. Grand Prix Cricket Football Tennis you name it and we usually lose, but when it comes to charity we help anybody and everyone, We are not laughed at when they all get their aid.

I’m hibernating too so I’m not here.

But if I was I would want Switzerland to beat Argentina because I’m neutral.

And also because the Argies were posing with their “Malvinas” banner before the WC started (“we all support non-democratic neocolonialism, hooray”). And to see the unfairly maligned Djourou having a blinder against the Messiah.

The other game is tricky. I really like Team USA (Michael Bradley is a tidy player who plays in the MLS for Toronto FC). However, my youngest son has a curious obsession with Belgium. When he was 6 he and I went to Bruges for a “lad and dad” weekend where he sampled all the chocolate on offer and I sampled all the beers. He’s loved Belgium ever since. So I’m sorry Redders, but for the sake of the young ‘un’s happiness I’m going to have to side with the Belgies.

24. Vinay says:

Argentina may just have a lop sided win and that is not the true reflection of the team. Its been a one man show and apart from him the rest all have been pedestrian including a certain Di Maria.

Belgium for all the so called talent are boring and i seriously think USA have a chance but then fortune usually does not favour the brave so i just see a dour Belgium team progressing, penalties again maybe?????

Vinay
    I’ve been impressed with Di Maria – I thought he was their best player.

RL. I am persuaded by your arguments for Switzerland and I have an unfortunate habit of backing losers – so I will back the Argies.

Well, one by one they all fall – now the Rocker joins the infamous band of Knot Ears, joining their ever swelling ranks, along with the perfidious Rasper.

Then there is the rival gang the Goin T’italy a subversive and Poll oriented bunch whose initiation ceremony of rubbing Taleggio on the nose before eating it has kept its membership to one.

[Anyone who likes the cheeky smell of soft cheese which smells of unwashed socks, fruity farmyard odours such as cow plops, and dog halitosis should apply immediately for membership to the president, Raddy, who is arranging the great annual get together of – well himself – even as we speak!]

And good luck with that! Me – I am staying here. 🙂

I would never waste taleggio – too expensive for anything but eating alongside a hearty bottle of red.

29. stevepalmer1 says:

Yanks and the Argies for me.

Now knot knot ear RA. So there 🙂

Raddy,
    Seriously, I’m not trying to be lazy and opt out of post writing till you clear off, but I really like these posts. Nothing happening Arsenalwise, although going on Arsene Watch is excellent viewing.

31. I’m here ………….

I think these polls are great, there’s no Arsenal news to speak of and it saves me having to moan 😉

32. I too would like the Swiss to have some kind of fluke and beat the Argies ………….. ooooops flying pig.

The other game is easy, give the Yanks a go, my nephews aged 5 and 8 in New York will be pleased as punch.

How the heck can Switzerland produce footballers. The only flat bits are when the lakes freeze over.

Why don’t we all want Argentina to win. Beautiful country, the people more feisty and interesting than the dull Swiss.

35. arnie says:

ear ear!!!!!

36. arnie says:

Djourou is playing well. IMO. 🙂 and 😦

arnie
    he generally did play well when played at CB for us.

World’s worst fullback, though.

38. arnie says:

agreed, Rocky.

39. Charybdis1966 says:

Easy Mdi89, I hate tax cheats more than any other type and him (Messy) being a Barca scummer makes it easy to hate the Argies.

To paraphrase Keegan “I’d love it if they(the Swiss) beat them, just love it”

Rl. Agree he wanted first team football and one can see why.

Argentina so reliant on Messi. I expect more from Higuian

41. Charybdis1966 says:

I’m speaking as a “Knot Ear” obviously.

Seriously Chary. Switzerland are horrible. They win this, they could go all the way to the final. Remember Greece in the Euros. Terrible for the sport.

Minnows out.

43. arnie says:

Soft aromatic cheese goes even better with single malt, particularly moderate/heavily peated Islay, and particularly either single cask or unchillfiltered! 🙂 Yum. 🙂 🙂 🙂

44. Charybdis1966 says:

Don’t worry Mdi89, the chiss sweezers won’t win, I’m just saying I hate Messi and therefore Argentina.

Sorry BR – I would reply but I’m knot ear.

It’s the Barca connection isn’t it. Tax dodging is simply your vehicle to hate 🙂

47. arnie says:

get Djourou back, I say. 😛

48. Charybdis1966 says:

Yeah, something like that Mdi89. Barca my 3rd most hated team.

So few quality left sided attackers

Sorry, Raddy, I forgot to say that I too think the Polls are a good focal point for us to get chatting and are quite interesting in their own way.

We are of course fast running out of games/teams in the WC, so we will have to think of another non taxing way to keep AA going.

My suggestion, well I think Micky may have originally said it, is to simply run a quick paragraph on a current topic when there is nothing else available.

You know the sort of thing;

— A funny thing happened on the way to Barcelona. I, Luis Suarez, suddenly had a heavenly awakening. It suddenly struck me, not in the teeth I hasten to add, that I had indeed leapt onto the back of an unsuspecting Italian gentleman and overcome with lust, I gave him a playful bite.

As it was our first time I decided not to bite him on the ass, that will come later maybe, and instead I thought the shoulder would be a good starting place.

This public display of affection met with a hostile reception – what is it with these Italians – and I had to deny it ever happened, and thankfully everyone supported me, but those bastards at Barca told me I would have to ‘fess up or they would not buy me — what a bunch of wuzzes.

I am sure you will understand how these things are mano a mano, and I look to you to support my pathetic attempts to get the hell out of dodge – and Liverpool.

You just got yourself a job RA. Hooray 🙂

RA that dhould have been a post!

I have written one which is AFC focussed. Might use it tomorrow.

I really hope we are not interested in Di Maria

arnie @ 5:55

You said: “Soft aromatic cheese goes even better with single malt”

and that’s fine, but what about soft, white appallingly stinky cheese, that smells like the ass of one of Terry’s goats?

CH sitting do deep. They will concede if they don’t change their tactics

I like arnie’s whisky preference and will try it in Italia

Trouble for these minnows, Raddy, is that they open up, they get torn to shreds.

Agree about the shortage of lefties. Like the little french fella. Griezman or whatever he’s called.

Micky, there was, to use one of LB’s favourite words, a subtle disclaimer in my comment; – “My suggestion, well I think Micky may have originally said it”, gets me off the hook – and you on it.

You may be the capo di tutti capi of the Knot Ears, but I am the founder of the Knot On Your Nelly. 🙂

Got to go and gather my flock.

Should be back for the pens.

59. neamman says:

An Englishman was rowing a boat down a river and singing, “Rule Britannia”. He had sung the first line, “When Britain first at heaven’s command …”, when some aliens saw him. The aliens decided to conduct an experiment, so they removed half his brain, and put him back into his boat. To their astonishment, he continued to sing, “When Britain first at heaven’s command…”. So, to continue their experiment, they removed half of the remainder of his brain, so he had a quarter of his brain left. They were further astonished when the man continued to sing, “When Britain first at heaven’s command…” After discussing further, they removed the final part of his brain and put him back in his boat. He continued to sing, “Allouetta, chantez allouetta …”

Just thought I would throw that in!!! I know its not PC to mock our allies!!!

60. neamman says:

On a serious note..all the other top 4 are upgrading and we have done nothing. I wish AW would do more deals earlier in the summer.

61. arnie says:

Redders: I would not know since I have no experience of the smell of “the ass of one of Terry’s goats”. But now we know you have that experience. How or why we do not query! But you are invited to try out some cheeses to identify for me which ones have a smell like you describe! 😛

Raddy: The trick is to have a single malt with a sufficiently strong nose that is not drowned by the flavour of the cheese. Gorgonzola and Ardbeg will be brilliant by me, but if you are not so keen on the peat, Talisker or Lagavullin should be brilliant as well.

For single cask stuff, you will have to visit me in Scotland. 😛

Neamman. Patience. We will sign someone much better than Lallana or Lambert or Sagna . Chavs have sold 4 first team players and signed someone we don’t want.

MU need a whole team and have bought an 18 y.o. And spent 30m on a player who isn’t in the Spain team or a full international.

Spuds? No-one.

I remain positive.

Arnie. I love peat and have a couple of Ardbeg in the cabinet plus a few others.

64. arnie says:

Raddy. You are my kind of man! 😛

65. stevepalmer1 says:

Can’t believe Djourou is still playing

66. neamman says:

I used tio love scotch and then found I was allergic. they give me mouth ulcers so I switched to Cognac

I was at Wembley for the England vs Argentina game in ’66.

Thepy were shite that day as well

Steve, I am surprised. 🙂

My view is that Djourou is playing very well — i suppose we all have different viewpoints, but he saved the Swissers in the last seconds of the ET first half.

69. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening RA, must be the longest session he has ever had

70. arnie says:

hmmmm, this had to happen

Another gallant minnow hits the dust 😕

72. stevepalmer1 says:

Raffa Nadal out of Wimbledon

73. stevepalmer1 says:

First part of my prediction, could it be possible to get it right 2 days running, Yeh no chance

I am 7 of 7 so far but that wasn’t too difficult.

Come on USA make it 8 out of 8

75. arnie says:

Neamman: I like cognac as well, particularly after dinner. When I am in Portugal, which is often, Aguardiente. Sometimes with coffee as well. 🙂

76. arnie says:

Come on USA

77. arnie says:

resident Yankee knot ear? behind the sofa? 😛

Minnows can play very entertaining football.

Up the minnows.

In America, if your given the name Hank Junior, then when your Dad snuffs it, do you get promoted?
    Serious question.

80. arnie says:

lovely game so far!

Micky,

I get drawn in by you every time, but I do not know all the niceties of the suffixes that are attached to people, but in brief what I do know is that these are not just used in America, but in the UK too – and other countries (in their language) too.

OK, these suffixes can be informal within families – no real rules – or formal. Family use is really just a nickname and can be what they want it to be.

Where the relationship is formalised on legal documents to differentiate them, it usually applies to a father and son or a close relative such as an uncle and nephew, where they have exactly the same name, in which case if they have the have the same name, they can respectively become known as Sr and Jr. ( I think in England it’s Snr and Jnr.)

Take two brothers (say) George and Fred, each have a son named George. The first ‘George’ of either is called George Jr, the second George of either is called George II, and so on.

The brother named George, either the father or the uncle of George Jr will become known as George Sr.

There’s a lot more but once named Jr, the offspring so named remains Jr for the rest of his life, and George II remains so named as does George III and George IV.

I am no authority on the subject but this came up when I studied the law relating to inheritance tax etc, and the need to differentiate people with the same name within families.

But it was a long time ago — and I could be wrong. 🙂

Now don’t get tetchy!!!

Hint: Don’t try and explain the niceties of Sr and Jr when watching football. 🙂

83. arnie says:

ah, Redders is ear! 😛

84. arnie says:

Howard is the star of the show!!!!!

85. arnie says:

gutted for USA. great great game. they should be proud

86. neamman says:

apart from the three England games I haven’t actually watched any games.

Neamman

For all future tournaments, reverse the process 🙂

RA

“Tetchy” not exactly, but cobblers 🙂

Firstly, the “titles” (giggle), Junior and Senior, do not exist in England, thank you very much.

Also, you can be born with a title that changes

Rt Hon to Lord
    Lord to Marquis/Viscount whatever

So I wondered whether Hank Jnr might lose his “title” when Hank Snr shuffles on, and perhaps he could get a brand new shiny title by calling his own son Hank, thus he then becomes Hank Snr…oh joy!

Oooerr, looking at the QF line up, it would be a brave man to bet an awful lot on the outcomes of any of the four games.

Sure, Transplant could do it, but he has powers don’t you know

Wow, the Aussie’s appear to have unearthed a real gem in the tennis.

I will drop a post into the box later today. I’m away from tomorrow till Tuesday night. So that will cover one of the non-game days.

Where’s Eddie?

I like the polls, BR.
    I went for the Argies (just because the Swiss are so boring) and USA because I dislike Belgium (because of Vertonghen).

I can see why the quarters have to be on the same day, so that both teams have to have the same amount of rest before a semi.
    It also makes for a great opportunity for a piss-up. 🙂

The winner has to come from Friday’s games, surely? So put your money on the Dutch or the Belgies.
    Belgium – World Cup Winners – doesn’t sound right.

93. arnie says:

motning all. creepy quietness all around. 🙂

anyone around? just to let you know that I am ear. 😛

Morning all …….