Why do we have so many injuries?

Follow this link and see how one Gooner has analysed our injury problems in comparison to other PL teams. It is a good read:

It prompted a discussion as to why this should occur. Here is a comment from Shard posted earlier today.

“There are too many factors and variables for it to be an easily identifiable problem.

The last two seasons though, our injury record was generally better than years previous. This season, maybe it’s just that we’re getting them all early in the season as a coincidence?

The factors to consider. Our training, diagnostic and treatment regimes. Dietary (and medicinal) regimes. The pitch. Players’ genetics. Playing style, referee protection or lack of, squad size, international matches and playing minutes, nature of injuries, correlation of injuries (and minutes and type of injuries, and training etc) with age of players.

I’m sure there are more, but a lot of these are difficult to process and arrive at a clearly defined problem, which can then be solved.

Personally, I feel a lot of it was to do with the age of the squad, and the way our matches have been refereed. The number of leg breaks we’ve had in a short time has been unprecedented. And this not only puts other players at more risk of injury. but perhaps even makes them get injured in other ways. In my own experience, any time you start thinking about avoiding injury while playing, you end up more likely to get injured. The assault on Arsenal physically, and psychologically, is what I feel was the main factor.

The age matters because one, the body hasn’t fully developed yet, and secondly, young players tend to pay less attention to their physical training while older players have to work harder just to stay fit.”

Knowing how addicted to info Mr Wenger is, he will be well aware of the problem. Strange he has not addressed it. What do you think?

Unknown

posted by Big Raddy

93 Responses to Why do we have so many injuries?

1. Abdikadir says:

yes it is becoase of asenal wenger gives the players another position they canot play or it is not their provissional position, so as the player tries to presure him self then gets injury.

Abdi
    Don’t most teams move their players around as needs arise?

3. pires7 says:

Yeah its becoming too much!

4. weedonald says:

We don’t know for certain that Wenger hasn’t addfressed this issue countless times BUT, as your execllent post pointed out, the problem is very complex and defies a simple solution.

5. Norfolk Gooner says:

G’day to you all,

One thing that skews Arsenal’s injury statistics is the ever present name of Abou Diaby in the list. Since the start of the 2005/06 season up to the end of 2012/13 season he has started just 135 games in all competitions an average of only 16.875 games per season, he has also made 43 appearances as a substitute in those eight seasons. I have been unable to find how many of those 135 games he completed. As for this season, according to Wenger speaking back in August, he is not likely to be back before April.

It is likely that he will be almost 28 years old by the time he plays his next competitive game for Arsenal, his birthday is in May, no doubt he will be just like a new signing.

6. Norfolk Gooner says:

The little chap, whose photo appears on the right, will probably be at primary school by the time Diaby makes his 136th start. 😀

Well done for getting an excellent post out.
    I find it staggering that the crystal ankles chap went through every player for each of six seasons and collated injury data for all of the clubs that have remained in the top flight since 2007/8.

If you had to guess how many clubs had stayed in the Prem for all of those years, how many would it be?
    I’d guess 13.

8. 26may1989 says:

Quiet old day… I guess that’s what happens after TWs and without civil war in the Gooner World.

The injury debate is interesting, and I really liked the washedup.com analysis.

We have suffered more of the serious injuries than pretty much everyone else, and that is partly to the result of referees’ tolerance in England for blood and thunder football in an age when it is no longer viable in the game.

We have also usually been the most fouled side, which must have some effect. (That said, I saw in an edition of the club’s magazine from earlier in the year that we suffer significantly fewer fouls now than we did six years ago.)

And some of the club’s injury record may be random.

But there remains a big difference between us and most others on the injuries involving strains and the like. We like to recruit technical players, who may be more prone to such injuries, but there is the nagging feeling that there is something that makes our players less robust than other clubs’ players. True, Man City (who are built quite like us) are going through an injury crisis that is at least as worrying as our one (their CBs have been decimated), but we always seem to be top of the list on physioroom.com.

Those who blame the medics or the coaches can’t know what they are talking about, unless they have privileged access. But something isn’t quite right, we can’t be that unlucky all the time. Can we?

9. TheBoyInRed&White says:

A big part of our problem is our strength and conditioning coaches. It is their job to ensure that our players can handle the physical side of a season and they routinely fail to do so. The problem was made clear in last season’s membership yearbook when their qualifications were printed and our lot- particularly Tony Colbert, the head coach- had only the basic, bare minimum qualifications and nothing more. It makes you wonder how they got their jobs.

In the US, where S & C is light years ahead of what we have here in Britain, the NFL strength coaches live and die by the number of games their star players are off the field for. There’s no way that the blokes we have would be in a job if they produced the numbers they do, and that’s playing a game that is much less physical than American Football.

10. Bïg Räddy says:

TheBoy

Good comment and perhaps that is the way forward -bring in an NFL conditioning coach.

I was particularly disturbed by Podolski’s hamstring pull at the start of the second half; it must have been caused by a lack of preparation and warm-up – pretty basic exercise that anyone attending a gym knows about.

11. Norfolk Gooner says:

TBIR&W,

Comparisons between Premiership soccer and the NFL are entirely specious, in soccer the players are on the pitch and in almost non-stop action for ninety plus minutes with just one fifteen minute break. In the NFL, various players spend huge amounts of time sitting on the bench or just standing around. The action may be intense, when it happens, but lasts for only a few seconds at a time with long pauses between plays.

12. Norfolk Gooner says:

BR,

There does seem to be a lack of “warming up”, pre-match the whole team plus subs go through a fairly extensive session but then retire to the dressing room and, I guess, do no more than trot onto the field and wait for the whistle.

A sub can be left sitting on the bench for up to ninety minutes before being brought on after a quick jog up and down the touchline, a sure recipe for injury.

It might be an idea to follow the practice sometimes used in rugby where the subs warm up on an execise bike at pitch-side or in the tunnel.

13. goonermichael says:

Most refs let the opposition kick the shit out of our players

14. Bïg Räddy says:

GM cuts to the chase as usual 😀

15. goonermichael says:

Dreading Mike Dean on Sunday Raddy

16. goonermichael says:

I wish I could be more eloquent but I’m a simple crimper 🙂

Thanks Raddy and Shard for your impromptu post and discussion starter.

The article via the link is a very interesting one. With my very limited knowledge of such things I will attempt to give my tuppenceworth.

Many of the factors that Shard mentioned such as training regimes, diet, treatment regimes e.t.c could all be considered under the bracket of sports science and may vary slightly from club to club, but are effectively intrinsic to the club and can therefore be altered, changed and improved as the science and knowledge progresses. I have heard it said that AW likes to have specific training sessions which simulate 90 minutes of effort at a high passing and moving pace so that the transition to match-day is more seamless.

Is this how Arsenal training sessions are and, if it is, does it differ from the nature of training sessions at other top clubs? Are the nature of our training sessions stretching the players bodies and soft-tissue closer to a fatigue or break-down point so that many players natural resources are not sufficiently recovered on match-day?

I honestly don’t know the answer to those questions, but if we were putting our players at risk of a fatigue type injury by not being up to date, from a sports science aspect, then it could indicate that either our medical team is not up to date, or that their training recommendations to AW are being ignored.

Either one could constitute a significant professional failing, unless there are specific reasons for it, such as that in order to play our fast paced and slick game for 90 minutes that we need to push the limits so that certain fatigue risks need to be taken with our training sessions.

I am not to sure I believe that for one instance, however, for one major reason. Arsene Wenger was a pioneer in progressing sports science in the EPL and is renowned for dotting the i’s, crossing the t’s and leaving no stone unturned (how many puns can one fit into a short sentence). I don’t believe that he or his medical team will be behind and if anything will still likely be ahead of the field in the science they apply.

That would leave another explanation and the one I favour is basically to do with the nature of our playing style combined with the type of league we are in. In other words a league where hard and slightly late tackles, and “putting it up them” is not only condoned but celebrated. I think I counted 4 times that Alan Hansen on MOTD said “got in their faces” when talking about Stoke and their approach to playing Man City. The worrying thing is you could actually see his deep love and appreciation of the Stoke approach (and we wonder why our domestic game doesn’t translate to the international stage).

For me the simple fact is that we play a fast quick continental game where we move the ball, and players run with the ball, through tight channels with opposition players in close proximity. That means we will draw fouls and late tackles, especially in a league that is still prepared far more than any other to let some of these go on. We are also more likely to be tackled than making tackles, and when not in possession we are more likely to press the ball to win back possession, while our opposition are more likely to lunge in on us desperately as they can see that our player is about to get past and escape them.

If this theory is correct this leaves us a conundrum. Should we compromise the playing style we have championed for many years or ride it out and hope that the focus of Dyke et al, in trying to improve the standard of our national game will see a change of attitude to the playing style and acceptable level of tackling in the EPL, so that the injury percentages start to swing more in our favour.

18. TheBoyInRed&White says:

Norfolk Gooner,

I appreciate what you’re saying, however my comparison between the physicality of the two sports was really just a throwaway point tacked on to the end of my comment. The thrust of what I was getting at is that the knowledge and qualifications of our S & C coaches is way behind those who work in the NFL and that the whole field is much more competitive in the US, whereas our coaches seem to be just left to get on with it regardless of their results. I wasn’t suggesting we impose an NFL strength programme on our players, more that we take a more rigorous and uncompromising approach to S & C like they do in American sports.

The Boy, I would agree with Norfolk on making comparisons between different sports as one cannot entirely translate to the other. It is however interesting to note that I believe we have brought in a rugby union conditioning coach so time will tell whether training ideas from Rugby can be translated to football.

The problem is that I would imagine that the NFL players, in a similar way to Rugby players, have a higher emphasis on strength and muscle bulk that can withstand more impact and strain. I saw an article once that showed the fastest EPL football players and also the fastest Rugby players as measured over a certain distance. Theo was the quickest EPL football player but came in 6th or 7th in the list with with all those ahead of him being the Rugby boys.

They obviously train to develop more fast twitch strong muscle fibres, but I could guarantee that a quick rugby winger wouldn’t get anywhere near lasting the distance in a 90 minute football game. If they tried to keep up with Rambo’s seemingly endless running I would submit that they would be displaying their breakfast pitch-side about mid way through.

20. Norfolk Gooner says:

GoonerB,

I think we are already seeing more and more teams trying to play “our way”, Swansea under Laudrup for example, also even the Orcs at Stoke are toning the physicality down a bit now that Pulis has been moved out.

I may be old fashioned but I would hate to see football turned into virtually a non-contact sport, tackling must be retained, but perhaps players could be trained in how to tackle fairly and to cut out the “late” variety.

Referees must work on penalising teams that go in for rotational fouling and greater use made of post match video scrutiny.

Agreed Norfolk, even AW has said that he doesn’t want good tackling removed from the game, although if you were to adhere to the impression the media like to portray of our manager you would think he wanted all players to be running around in pink tutu’s shouting “I’m a laydeee”.

The Boy @4.32. To say that the knowledge and qualification of our S & C coaches is way behind those in the NFL would imply that you have first hand knowledge of this that you have likely witnessed with your own eyes to be able to confirm this is the case.

I am not saying you are wrong but just how do any of us really know enough detail to arrive at a conclusion like this. Maybe our S & C coaches are perfectly up to date with what is required at this level of this particular sport and it comes down to our playing style and the nature of the EPL as I suggested, although similarly I am also not saying that I am right.

GM
    I love your line in simplicity 🙂

NFL players are covered head to foot in protective padding, including in many cases heavy (perhaps metallic) braces on either their shoulders, elbows, backs, knees and ankles, or even a combination of them. Every sort of foul receives a penalty that increases with the gravity of the infraction, and all penalties have negative implications to the offending team, not just the player.

Football players wear filmy boots and shin pads, are are afforded minimal protection than players get in the NFL. Fouls in football are generally treated as minor infractions and most receive a mere free kick as the only penalty.

Snide fouls like, a kick in the opponents heels or trading on their feet can have serious injury implications but are treated as minor fouls.

One cannot compare the two games, rugby and football would be better comparatives.

So GN5 what you are saying in a nut shell is that all those NFL lot are big girls blouses. Don’t worry pal I’ll have your back if you want to go into one of the NFL changing rooms to let them know what great pansies they all are. I’ll be right behind you, depending on your perception of distance.

GB;

Your words and thoughts and most certainly not mine.

Oh well, never mind GN5. I had visions of us forming a debonair, daring, brave partnership like Butch and Sundance. I was even going to let you choose first which one you wanted to be….

GB;

Contrary to popular opinion in the UK American Football is played by some of the biggest, strongest and toughest men in sports, without the protective padding there would be little or no chance of surviving unscathed for a single game..

You have changed my mind GN5….I feel an approach of being nice to them and complimenting them may be more relevant to my life expectancy.

On a serious note I played a lot of Rugby, (as well as football), when younger so when I see it on T.V I can appreciate the level of momentum and impact force generated by those chaps in the modern game of NFL and our very own Rugby.

I refused to let my son play American Football over my fears of a serious, perhaps life changing injury. He played football (soccer) but he was embarrassingly bad as his eye/foot coordination was miserable. However he excelled at tennis, basketball and darts as his eye/hand coordination was/is exceptional and he is also ambidextrous.

30. Bïg Räddy says:

I was just enjoying the prospect of two “older” British gentlemen going into the NFL changing rooms and offering the players out.

The Dunkirk spirit and all that ……

31. goonermichael says:

I used to watch American football. They go helmet first into the opposition. They definitely need padding. Quite a few end up crippled with joint damage

Raddy, how old do you think I am?

Evening all, interesting stuff on the injury front.

I wonder whether our number of days out is a hangover from DB10…..pretty sure I read something about him refusing to play with pain killing injections and when not fully fit. Some players will con the manager (Jack has been guilty on occasion) that they are. Maybe we are over cautious on injuries not letting them escalate so pulling the player immediately.

Or maybe we are just incredibly unlucky!

What have we for this season?

TR7 thigh whilst away with Czech Republic, Pod hamstring pulled on the sprint, Ox impact, Arteta back. And this season sickness too.

34. American football is rugby with pads and helmets

35. Evönne says:

GoonerB – it doesn’t matter how old Raddy thinks you are, what is important is what you think you are 🙂 Most middle aged men think they are in their twenties

By the way I’m pretty sure there is a warm up area in the home changing room at the Emirates so imagine done warm ups are still done.

Also i was told by my Canadian uncle that they are looking at NFL and Hockey and the types of hits as there is increasing evidence that suggests serious problems in later life are occurring due to the ferocity of the hits, he was saying there is a school of thought that says players were safer with less protection because they respected the fact that each other was not as well protected.

GB. Too old to play in thé NFL!

Just back on and it is so nice to see Evonne and Raddy discussing the attributes of my age. So Evonne you have me down as middle aged? Mmm. Maybe you are right but then again….Anyway Evonne I would like to think that i am like that old cliche of being like a fine wine…..but I am not sure my vintage is quite as good as GN5’s.

Raddy, if NFL stands for “nightly female liasons” then I would like to think that I am still very much at the top of my game and not too old in the slightest.

I’m in my 20s…

I’m a young 14.

I read Santi’s ankle injury was while away on international duty, too.

42. Evönne says:

Oh I know that dear Rocky 🙂

Raddy – forgot to thank you for the post today. You are an absolute star!! Raddy saves the day again and that with writing a great pre match for tomorrow, brill

43. Evönne says:

yeah right Chas, you think you can have sex in 2 years!! No, you are still 11

44. Kgooner says:

Manure 4-1 up. Oilers 3-0. Why dont we ever get drawn with similarly ‘easier’ teams. Correlation between our injuries and tough CL draws?

Kgooner we often get really easy CL groups and they are boring as f*ck.

Evonne,
    You have sex on the brain. Perhaps it’s time you got back on the horse.

So to speak. 🙂

If van Persie said he wanted to come back to Arsenal tomorrow, I’d still prefer to keep Giroud and tell him to stick it where the sun don’t shine. I find him ultra-repulsive.

Ooops killed it.
    Soz.
    G’night.

51. Arsenalista says:

I wrote for AA a whil back, promising a book. Still working on it, closer than ever.

I do read each day. Good article today and it is a mystery. Honestly, I think you need 22 players.

If you don’t have them by the end of July it creates an imbalance you can’t correct. That doesn’t help.

I would comment that our manager trains players hard to improve them, most managers buy a player they don’t train hard because they can’t or aren’t interested in inproving.

Nice to post! The elders might remember me.

Morning all.

Having just read the article there are so many theories but it really is hard to pinpoint one actual cause.

Many of our players seem to get injured on international duty or some say three games in a week can aggravate a a small injury as the player shouldn’t have played in the first place. Wenger has stated before that a few players were carrying a slight injury yet they played. Cesc springs to mind in recent years,yet look at RVP now how come he never gets injured these days.
    I have not been privalaged to witness a training session but I doubt it varies that much from club to club.
    Sometimes AW says a player missed training a day before a game for one reason or another yet it is then assessed that he is fit to play.
    Other times a clash of heads during a game is something that one cannot account for beforehand.
    I don’t honestly think anyone knows the real answer but if as suggested above it is lack of squad depth,i.e, 22 players (two for each position) that doesn’t always work out as we have seen for ourselves that 2 players that play in the same position can be injured at the same time.

On a side note it is being heavily suggested that Rooney hasn’t cut his head and it is all down to him trying to dictate to his employer, and not for the first time..

Chas
    Brilliant, brilliant clip. My favourite tactics bollocks of all time 🙂

Any news on Big ‘Ol for tonight?

Thinking of injuries, we have some relatively easy fixtures (CL aside) until November, with I imagine another International break somewhere, so it’s a good time for the likes of Santi to rest.

I mean, get treatment 🙂

Kelsey

I’m sure I saw a picture of the fat yob with blood oozing from a head wound.

Really looking forward to the game tonight.

57. Bïg Räddy says:

Leipzig manager – you are my hero

it was make up micky 🙂

59. Bïg Räddy says:

Arsenalista. Of course we remember you! When will the book be finished?

kelsey.Hi. Hope all is well in kelseyworld.

Micky. Stoke is an easy fixture?? But I agree that it is as good a time as any for him to be injured. And it will give him extra “legs” come season’s end.

Someone unkindly said that it isn’t the first time he’s had a big old gash on his head.

Morning Kelsey

I don’t quite understand what you mean about Rooney and his head gear dictating to manu, could you explain?

There is more talk in the press that the whole Rooney transfer request was fabricated by SAF, according to a few sources PR men at ManUre were privately briefing that Rooney never asked for a transfer, but not that SAF lied.

BR
    “Stoke is an easy fixture?”

Back in 2 hrs for the BR PM.

Rasp/Peaches

It is my youngest son’s sixteenth birthday today and he is demanding hamburgers and coca cola; the upshot of that is I won’t finish watching the game until about twelve tonight and as such wont be able to offer one of my typical gushing match summaries.

LB

GIE has answered you as I would have done. There was a discussion on 5 Live last night about it .

In fact Richard Keys has banged that drum most of summer and is apparently good mates with Wayne (explains a lot)

The most the conversation probably was “if you’re not going to play me I may as well be elsewhere”

67. Bïg Räddy says:

LB.

Many happy returns to your son.

Which I assume literally means I wish your son long life.

68. Bïg Räddy says:

Awesome storm over Copenhagen. Luckily I spent the summer building an Ark.

This is the squad for tonight.

Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs, Ramsey, Wilshere, Ozil, Walcott, Flamini, Giroud, Akpom, Hayden, Miyaichi, Fabianski, Monreal, Vermaelen, Jenkinson

I don’t know much about Hayden,anyone enlighten me?A young midfielder,AW rates,played 2 minutes at the end of the preseason game against City.

I expect the first 11 named in the squad to start.

70. Evönne says:

Sweet 16, oooh bless! Happy birthday LB junior.

BR – why is the Leipzig manager your hero?

Hi Kels xx

Watched Shitty last night, got bored with the rubbish game and stopped watching. They scored 3 goals in quick succession.

I switched over to the United game. They scored 3 goals in quick succession. I cannot win 😦

Raddy or:

sie mir gesund and don’t go skint 🙂

I should be able to muster up a match report, it will eat in to my time for ribbing banks and hijacking cars though.

Hayden a defender think I’ve seen some clips but the highlights on Arsenal player don’t show much at our end of the pitch, prefer to focus on attacking.

Makes sense I guess given availability…..there is an under 19 match before so a lot of the youngsters have travelled over.

74. Bïg Räddy says:

kelsey. As you say…… 🙂

evonne. I watched a very average FC København draw with Juventus. A brilliant result for the Danes.

And watch the vid to see why I admire the tactical genius of the Leipzig manager

75. Evönne says:

GiE – did you read about the government tax adviser who was secretly filmed while lecturing in tax avoidance possibilities? That was my fav story of the month 🙂

BTW, Rooney looked mean and trim last night. He could be ours in Jan, I’d like that.
    I think he is prone to deep cuts, he tight burst open last season after relatively innocuous incident

76. Bïg Räddy says:

An u-19 match before? On the same pitch?

How do you rib a bank?

77. Evönne says:

BR – ok, will try. Busy with visitors that are not interested in footy. They still have to go and see The Emirates today 🙂

So not a real option on the bench in attack. We have a good record away in France and hopefully can squeak a win or worst way hold out for a draw. Either way it won’t be an easy game.

Evonne, United won’t ever let him go to us or Chelsea.If he goes it will be abroad IMO.When you read what Ronaldo is on now 300K a week gross it’s just mind blowing. He has scored 206 goals in 204 appearances.

80. Bïg Räddy says:

€300k p.w! I wonder how that goes down with the bankrupt Spaniards

They have a direct line to the bank via royalty. The EU Commission want to investigate RM but I doubt they will get very far

82. Evönne says:

the Spanish government financially supports Real. EU financially supports Spain. We pay taxes to the EU coffers so in effect you Raddy are paying Ronaldo’s wages

83. Bïg Räddy says:

Thanks evonne. You have no idea how happy that makes me.

84. Shärd says:

Evonne

The German clubs kicked up a fuss to their government about this apparently.

The EC are looking into Madrid city council’s deal with Real in 99 (i think) that bought Real Madrid’s training ground at a premium and then leased it back to them for a nominal price, so that Real could keep the money flowing. It might not result in any specific action, but there might be pressure put on the Spanish banks and such to cut down on such stuff. The sales of Higuain and all the other Real players Napoli bought, and of course Özil, and letting Kaka go on a free, might suggest that even Real are under pressure to balance their books somewhat.

Morning all.

Raddy, is your PM ready? I can’t help but notice that here you are this morning chatting away wistfully while we are all waiting for your latest best selling installment. Now I mean this in the nicest possible way but, get back to your work young man……

86. Shärd says:

Oh and thank you Rocky and BR for putting my comment up as an article. Not that it kicked up much discussion 🙂

Shard,

that is old news 🙂

The Belgian EU commisioner is asking for an investigation into RM’s bankers who have been bailed out by the Spanish Government to an extent, but as I said before nothing will happen.

……………… New Post …………….

89. Shärd says:

kelsey

I always felt the term ‘old news’ a bit of an oxymoron 🙂

I wasn’t aware of the EU opening an investigation into the banking aspect, although I had read some rumours about it being a possibility. Has this happened yet, or is it just the Belgian commissioner asking for it?

Just asking for it, Shard.

91. 横浜 トリーバーチ